hardware, UEFI, dual-boot, USBstik ?

I'm suffering brutal punishment from the WinTel monopolists since my
PC was stolen, and I was forced to buy a Win8.1 x64 to match my ISP.

It's written that the new EUFI has "solved the security problem of a
USBstik being able to boot an independant [of the resident hard-disk]
OS, and therby get access to all files".

If that is correct, I can't expect to leave intact the installed
Win8.1 x64, and run a USBbooted, independant linux system. Or ?

At the low-level/early-stage EUFI settings:
 the USBstik is detected and may be set as 1st-priority-boot-device;
 the DVD is detected but can NOT be set as 1st-priority-boot-device.

Why ?  Surely at that stage the devices are not detectable for
for having <VALID boot-files>. Or?

Since with the same hardware, a 32 or 64 bit OS can be installed:
at the EUFI-setup-level, there can be no knowledge/distinction
between 32 or 64 bit 'operation'.
So,  can a 32-bit DVD-rescue OS be run on a Win-x64 setup?

Ie. the 32/64 choice is made AFTER the EUFI-boot-device level.
It's made by the contents of the chosen boot-device. Or ?

== TIA.

0
dog

On 10/17/2016 08:45 PM, dog@gmail.com wrote:
> I'm suffering brutal punishment from the WinTel monopolists since my
> PC was stolen, and I was forced to buy a Win8.1 x64 to match my ISP.

What  !?!?!  I use Linux and my ISP doesn't care. <I had
to delete what follows as it was not polite>

There is no ISP that con not be operated with a
Linux client.  What utter <more deleted stuff>

> It's written that the new EUFI has "solved the security problem of a
> USBstik being able to boot an independant [of the resident hard-disk]
> OS, and therby get access to all files".
>
> If that is correct, I can't expect to leave intact the installed
> Win8.1 x64, and run a USBbooted, independant linux system. Or ?
>
> At the low-level/early-stage EUFI settings:
>  the USBstik is detected and may be set as 1st-priority-boot-device;
>  the DVD is detected but can NOT be set as 1st-priority-boot-device.
>
> Why ?  Surely at that stage the devices are not detectable for
> for having <VALID boot-files>. Or?
>
> Since with the same hardware, a 32 or 64 bit OS can be installed:
> at the EUFI-setup-level, there can be no knowledge/distinction
> between 32 or 64 bit 'operation'.
> So,  can a 32-bit DVD-rescue OS be run on a Win-x64 setup?
>
> Ie. the 32/64 choice is made AFTER the EUFI-boot-device level.
> It's made by the contents of the chosen boot-device. Or ?
>
> == TIA.

Hi Dog,

I have to use Live USB's and DVD's to rescue Son-Of-Frankenstein
(a.k.a Where's Waldo, Windows Nein, some call it Windows 10)
all the time.  It is A COMPLETE PAIN IN THE ASS!  I feel
your pain.

There is always somewhere in the EUFI that allows you to
boot off a stick or DVD.  Each motherboard is different too.
So I have to google the computer, find the manual and hopefully
find how to do it.  I often times have to call the manufacturer.

And Where's Waldo is gosh awful terrible stuff.  Get yourself
back on Linux ASAP!

Usually, you have to turn off Safe Boot and enable Legacy
Boot and then go in and set your boot order.  And sometimes
they have weird sounding things to turn off, like CSM Boot.

Then you have to turn it all back on to get Son-of-Frankenstein
to boot up again.

Toshiba Satellite C55: setup and boot menu

setup and boot menu is "F12".

To boot from a USB or DVD:
     --> EUFI (bios)
         --> System Configuration
           --> Boot Mode
              --> CSM Boot

NOTE: you have to put CSM Boot back to EUFI to boot off of Window 10 again

HTH,
-T

T <T@invalid.invalid> wrote:
> On 10/17/2016 08:45 PM, dog@gmail.com wrote:
>> I'm suffering brutal punishment from the WinTel monopolists since my
>> PC was stolen, and I was forced to buy a Win8.1 x64 to match my ISP.
>
> What  !?!?!  I use Linux and my ISP doesn't care. <I had
> to delete what follows as it was not polite>

You are replying to the Chris Glur troll.  That's the reason for your
reaction of "What !?!?!".  Don't feed the troll.

0
Rich
10/18/2016 10:25:23 AM
On 18/10/16 11:25, Rich wrote:
> T <T@invalid.invalid> wrote:
>> On 10/17/2016 08:45 PM, dog@gmail.com wrote:
>>> I'm suffering brutal punishment from the WinTel monopolists since my
>>> PC was stolen, and I was forced to buy a Win8.1 x64 to match my ISP.
>>
>> What  !?!?!  I use Linux and my ISP doesn't care. <I had
>> to delete what follows as it was not polite>
>
> You are replying to the Chris Glur troll.  That's the reason for your
> reaction of "What !?!?!".  Don't feed the troll.

Ot freed it incomprehensible irrlevant gibberish

Penguins don't breed in Iceland.

--
“it should be clear by now to everyone that activist environmentalism
about their freedom, about the relationship between the individual and

Vaclav Klaus
0
The
10/18/2016 10:38:08 AM
On 2016-10-18, Rich <rich@example.invalid> wrote:

> T <T@invalid.invalid> wrote:
>
>> On 10/17/2016 08:45 PM, dog@gmail.com wrote:
>>
>>> I'm suffering brutal punishment from the WinTel monopolists since my
>>> PC was stolen, and I was forced to buy a Win8.1 x64 to match my ISP.
>>
>> What  !?!?!  I use Linux and my ISP doesn't care. <I had
>> to delete what follows as it was not polite>
>
> You are replying to the Chris Glur troll.  That's the reason for your
> reaction of "What !?!?!".  Don't feed the troll.

And it's UEFI, not EUFI.  (Or wi-fi. :-)

--
/~\  cgibbs@kltpzyxm.invalid (Charlie Gibbs)
\ /  I'm really at ac.dekanfrus if you read it the right way.
On 10/18/2016 03:25 AM, Rich wrote:
> T <T@invalid.invalid> wrote:
>> On 10/17/2016 08:45 PM, dog@gmail.com wrote:
>>> I'm suffering brutal punishment from the WinTel monopolists since my
>>> PC was stolen, and I was forced to buy a Win8.1 x64 to match my ISP.
>>
>> What  !?!?!  I use Linux and my ISP doesn't care. <I had
>> to delete what follows as it was not polite>
>
> You are replying to the Chris Glur troll.  That's the reason for your
> reaction of "What !?!?!".  Don't feed the troll.

What other aliases does he go under?
T <T@invalid.invalid> wrote:
> On 10/18/2016 03:25 AM, Rich wrote:
>> T <T@invalid.invalid> wrote:
>>>
>>> What  !?!?!  I use Linux and my ISP doesn't care. <I had
>>> to delete what follows as it was not polite>
>>
>> You are replying to the Chris Glur troll.  That's the reason for your
>> reaction of "What !?!?!".  Don't feed the troll.
>>

> What other aliases does he go under?

He regularly nym-shifts to avoid killfiles.  But after seeing several
of his posts you'll begin to recognize them, as they all have a similar
pattern to them.  Between the oddball language, the oddball grammar,
and the weird crap he's easy to pick out.

0
Rich
10/18/2016 10:08:39 PM
On 10/18/2016 03:08 PM, Rich wrote:
> T <T@invalid.invalid> wrote:

>>> You are replying to the Chris Glur troll.  That's the reason for your
>>> reaction of "What !?!?!".  Don't feed the troll.
>>>

>> What other aliases does he go under?
>
> He regularly nym-shifts to avoid killfiles.  But after seeing several
> of his posts you'll begin to recognize them, as they all have a similar
> pattern to them.  Between the oddball language, the oddball grammar,
> and the weird crap he's easy to pick out.

It is annoying that I actually spent time trying to help him.
People help me all the time on this group and I was trying
to return the favor
On 2016-10-18, T <T@invalid.invalid> wrote:

> It is annoying that I actually spent time trying to help him.
> People help me all the time on this group and I was trying
> to return the favor

Unfortunately some people are trolls.  Now that you know, you can avoid
trying to help him in the future.

FWIW I have over a dozen nyms in my killfile for ''Chris Glur''.

--keith

(try just my userid to email me)

Keith