How to delete a file ?

Hi all,

Is it possible to delete a file without using rm command ?

conditions are as follows:-

 1)  mv command is not allowed
 2) GUI utilities are not allowed
 3) only command line is allowed to use

assumptions:-
                     1)  immutable property is not set
                     2)  sticky bit is not set
                     3)  there is no permission issues
0
aarklon (253)
10/14/2008 5:51:39 AM
comp.os.linux.misc 33610 articles. 22 followers. amosa69 (125) is leader. Post Follow

On Oct 14, 10:51=A0am, annalissa <aark...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Is it possible to delete a file without using rm command ?
>
> conditions are as follows:-
>
> =A01) =A0mv command is not allowed
> =A02) GUI utilities are not allowed
> =A03) only command line is allowed to use
>
> assumptions:-
> =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A01) =A0immutable property is no=
t set
> =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A02) =A0sticky bit is not set
> =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A03) =A0there is no permission i=
ssues

 one more condition  file deletion commands are  not allowed
0
aarklon (253)
10/14/2008 7:09:51 AM
On Oct 14, 9:09=A0am, annalissa <aark...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Oct 14, 10:51=A0am, annalissa <aark...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Hi all,
>
> > Is it possible to delete a file without using rm command ?
>
> > conditions are as follows:-
>
> > =A01) =A0mv command is not allowed
> > =A02) GUI utilities are not allowed
> > =A03) only command line is allowed to use
>
> > assumptions:-
> > =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A01) =A0immutable property is =
not set
> > =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A02) =A0sticky bit is not set
> > =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A03) =A0there is no permission=
 issues

> =A0one more condition =A0file deletion commands are =A0not allowed

Do you need to remove the file itself, or just the contents? If the
latter, you could try ">filename" iirc.
On Oct 14, 12:30=A0pm, kenneho <kenneho....@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Oct 14, 9:09=A0am, annalissa <aark...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > On Oct 14, 10:51=A0am, annalissa <aark...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > > Hi all,
>
> > > Is it possible to delete a file without using rm command ?
>
> > > conditions are as follows:-
>
> > > =A01) =A0mv command is not allowed
> > > =A02) GUI utilities are not allowed
> > > =A03) only command line is allowed to use
>
> > > assumptions:-
> > > =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A01) =A0immutable property i=
s not set
> > > =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A02) =A0sticky bit is not se=
> > > =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A03) =A0there is no permissi=
on issues

> > =A0one more condition =A0file deletion commands are =A0not allowed
>
> Do you need to remove the file itself, or just the contents? If the
> latter, you could try ">filename" iirc.

 to remove the contents in can do cat /dev/null  > filename

but this question was asked to me by friend to evaluate my linux skills
0
aarklon (253)
10/14/2008 8:16:27 AM
annalissa <aarklon@gmail.com> wrote:
> to remove the contents in can do cat /dev/null  > filename
>
> but this question was asked to me by friend to evaluate my linux skills

Helping you too much then would be cheating...
Use apropos with a few words to see what man pages come up.
:)
--
|   spike1@freenet.co.uk   |                                                 |
|   Andrew Halliwell BSc   | "ARSE! GERLS!! DRINK! DRINK! DRINK!!!"          |
annalissa <aarklon@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Is it possible to delete a file without using rm command ?

>>  1) mv command is not allowed
>>  2) GUI utilities are not allowed
>>  3) only command line is allowed to use
>   4) file deletion commands are not allowed

What's your friend's definition of a file deletion command? Anything
that calls unlink(2), or a bit less restrictive than that?

Chris
0
chris-usenet (1132)
10/14/2008 10:22:12 AM
annalissa <aarklon@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Oct 14, 10:51�am, annalissa <aark...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Is it possible to delete a file without using rm command ?
>>
>> conditions are as follows:-
>>
>> �1) �mv command is not allowed
>> �2) GUI utilities are not allowed
>> �3) only command line is allowed to use
>>
>> assumptions:-
>> � � � � � � � � � � �1) �immutable property is not set
>> � � � � � � � � � � �2) �sticky bit is not set
>> � � � � � � � � � � �3) �there is no permission issues
>
>  one more condition  file deletion commands are  not allowed

What's "file deletion commands"? To delete a file you need a program
that can delete a file. You mat=y write that program yourself using
any programming language or (ab)use a program that's written  for
something else (e.g. some editors can delete files)

   Florian
--
<http://www.florian-diesch.de/>
**  Hi! I'm a signature virus! Copy me into your signature, please!  **
On Oct 14, 10:16=A0am, annalissa <aark...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Oct 14, 12:30=A0pm, kenneho <kenneho....@gmail.com> wrote:

> > > =A0one more condition =A0file deletion commands are =A0not allowed
>
> > Do you need to remove the file itself, or just the contents? If the
> > latter, you could try ">filename" iirc.
>
> =A0to remove the contents in can do cat /dev/null =A0> filename
>
> but this question was asked to me by friend to evaluate my linux skills- =

I'm interested in the answer, so please post it here when you figure
it out. :)
Florian Diesch wrote:
> annalissa <aarklon@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Oct 14, 10:51 am, annalissa <aark...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> Is it possible to delete a file without using rm command ?
>>>
>>> conditions are as follows:-
>>>
>>>  1)  mv command is not allowed
>>>  2) GUI utilities are not allowed
>>>  3) only command line is allowed to use
>>>
>>> assumptions:-
>>>                      1)  immutable property is not set
>>>                      2)  sticky bit is not set
>>>                      3)  there is no permission issues
>>  one more condition  file deletion commands are  not allowed
>
> What's "file deletion commands"? To delete a file you need a program
> that can delete a file. You mat=y write that program yourself using
> any programming language or (ab)use a program that's written  for
> something else (e.g. some editors can delete files)
>
>    Florian

well you could move all the files elsewhere, using cp, reformat the
partition, and move them all back again EXCEPT the one you wanted to delete.

Or remove the contents with echo "" > filename. followed by a rename.

The file name and contents no longer exist, just the basic inode
structure ...does that count? ;-)

I've always favoured throwing the whole computer out of the window and
then running a Sherman tank over it. That deletes most things.

Another good one is to remove the hard disk and shove it in a microwave.

Or strap it to your feet and jump off a bridge.

Really, there are so MANY answers, one gets spoiled for choice...

I would simply rename the rm command, use it, and rename it back afterwards.

If that fits the 'rules' of this silly game.

0
The
10/14/2008 1:10:46 PM
On 10/14/2008 03:09 AM, annalissa wrote:
> On Oct 14, 10:51 am, annalissa <aark...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Is it possible to delete a file without using rm command ?
>>
>> conditions are as follows:-
>>
>>  1)  mv command is not allowed
>>  2) GUI utilities are not allowed
>>  3) only command line is allowed to use
>>
>> assumptions:-
>>                      1)  immutable property is not set
>>                      2)  sticky bit is not set
>>                      3)  there is no permission issues
>

>  one more condition  file deletion commands are  not allowed

If you want to get pedantic, you cannot delete a file if file deletion
commands are not allowed.

Pay somebody to delete the file for you and don't ask how they
did it.  *You* did not use the rm command.
0
oneal (207)
10/14/2008 1:17:27 PM
On Tuesday 14 October 2008 09:09, annalissa wrote:

> On Oct 14, 10:51 am, annalissa <aark...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Is it possible to delete a file without using rm command ?
>>
>> conditions are as follows:-
>>
>> 1)  mv command is not allowed
>> 2) GUI utilities are not allowed
>> 3) only command line is allowed to use
>>
>> assumptions:-
>> 1)  immutable property is not set
>> 2)  sticky bit is not set
>> 3)  there is no permission issues
>

>  one more condition  file deletion commands are  not allowed

Open konqueror, or nautilus, and drag the file to the trash. Then
select "empty trash".

0
pk (435)
10/14/2008 1:30:36 PM
On Oct 14, 3:30=A0pm, pk <p...@pk.invalid> wrote:
> On Tuesday 14 October 2008 09:09, annalissa wrote:
>

> > On Oct 14, 10:51=A0am, annalissa <aark...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >> Hi all,
>
> >> Is it possible to delete a file without using rm command ?
>
> >> conditions are as follows:-
>
> >> 1) =A0mv command is not allowed
> >> 2) GUI utilities are not allowed
> >> 3) only command line is allowed to use
>
> >> assumptions:-
> >> 1) =A0immutable property is not set
> >> 2) =A0sticky bit is not set
> >> 3) =A0there is no permission issues
>
> > =A0one more condition =A0file deletion commands are =A0not allowed
>
> Open konqueror, or nautilus, and drag the file to the trash. Then
> select "empty trash".- Hide quoted text -

Funny! :)
pk wrote:
> On Tuesday 14 October 2008 09:09, annalissa wrote:
>
>> On Oct 14, 10:51 am, annalissa <aark...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> Is it possible to delete a file without using rm command ?
>>>
>>> conditions are as follows:-
>>>
>>> 1)  mv command is not allowed
>>> 2) GUI utilities are not allowed
>>> 3) only command line is allowed to use
>>>
>>> assumptions:-
>>> 1)  immutable property is not set
>>> 2)  sticky bit is not set
>>> 3)  there is no permission issues
>>
>>  one more condition  file deletion commands are  not allowed
>
> Open konqueror, or nautilus, and drag the file to the trash. Then
> select "empty trash".

Gui commands not allowed...

Command line only.

Fdisk anyone?

0
The
10/14/2008 2:21:24 PM
[me@work]$ shred filename
0
newbie.cpp (21)
10/14/2008 2:40:44 PM
On Tuesday 14 October 2008 16:21, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

>>>  one more condition  file deletion commands are  not allowed
>>
>> Open konqueror, or nautilus, and drag the file to the trash. Then
>> select "empty trash".
>>
> Gui commands not allowed...
>
> Command line only.

Ah, I missed that bit.

Then my takes are:

--

perl -e 'unlink("file");'

a='rm file'; eval $a

printf '\x72\x6d\x20\x66\x69\x6c\x65\x0a' | sh

--

No file deletion commands (at least, not directly on the command line).
0
On Mon, 13 Oct 2008 22:51:39 -0700, annalissa wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Is it possible to delete a file without using rm command ?
>
> conditions are as follows:-
>
>  1)  mv command is not allowed
>  2) GUI utilities are not allowed
>  3) only command line is allowed to use
>

> assumptions:-
>                      1)  immutable property is not set
>                      2)  sticky bit is not set
>                      3)  there is no permission issues

One obvious way comes to mind: format the partition on which it resides.
0
ray65 (5422)
10/14/2008 2:52:45 PM
On Tue, 14 Oct 2008 03:09:51 -0400, annalissa <aarklon@gmail.com> wrote:

>  one more condition  file deletion commands are  not allowed

tar --remove-files -cf /dev/null $filename

Or would that count as a file deletion command?

Regards, Dave Hodgins

dwhodgins (374)
10/14/2008 3:42:30 PM
annalissa <aarklon@gmail.com> wrote in news:dba911d8-5648-4ae1-a859-
14ab521d2a0d@v16g2000prc.googlegroups.com:

> Hi all,
>
> Is it possible to delete a file without using rm command ?
>
> conditions are as follows:-
>
>  1)  mv command is not allowed
>  2) GUI utilities are not allowed
>  3) only command line is allowed to use
>

> assumptions:-
>                      1)  immutable property is not set
>                      2)  sticky bit is not set
>                      3)  there is no permission issues

fdisk ;-)

0
prop_m (26)
10/14/2008 3:58:24 PM
On Oct 14, 6:10=A0pm, The Natural Philosopher <a...@b.c> wrote:
> Florian Diesch wrote:
> > annalissa <aark...@gmail.com> wrote:

> >> =A0one more condition =A0file deletion commands are =A0not allowed
>
> > What's "file deletion commands"? To delete a file you need a program
> > that can delete a file. You mat=3Dy write that program yourself using
> > any programming language or (ab)use a program that's written =A0for
> > something else (e.g. some editors can delete files)
>
> > =A0 =A0Florian
>
> well you could move all the files elsewhere, using cp, reformat the
> partition, and move them all back again EXCEPT the one you wanted to dele=
te.

> Or remove the contents with echo "" > filename. followed by a rename.
>
> The file name and contents no longer exist, just the basic inode
> structure ...does that count? ;-)
>
> yes that counts

0
aarklon (253)
10/14/2008 4:05:32 PM
On Tue, 14 Oct 2008, annalissa wrote:

> but this question was asked to me by friend to evaluate my linux skills

So then it becomes a test of your ability to ask a question, and get
an answer.

   Michael

0
et472 (516)
10/14/2008 4:13:29 PM
annalissa wrote:
> On Oct 14, 12:30 pm, kenneho <kenneho....@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> one more condition file deletion commands are not allowed
>>
>> Do you need to remove the file itself, or just the contents? If the
>> latter, you could try ">filename" iirc.
>
>  to remove the contents in can do cat /dev/null  > filename

useless use of cat and /dev/null (drop both, "> filename" does it too)

Bye, Jojo

0
nospam.jojo (1344)
10/14/2008 4:57:09 PM
The Natural Philosopher wrote:
> Florian Diesch wrote:
>> annalissa <aarklon@gmail.com> wrote:

>>>  one more condition  file deletion commands are  not allowed
>>
>> What's "file deletion commands"? To delete a file you need a program
>> that can delete a file. You mat=y write that program yourself using
>> any programming language or (ab)use a program that's written  for
>> something else (e.g. some editors can delete files)
>>
>>    Florian
>
> well you could move all the files elsewhere, using cp, reformat the
> partition, and move them all back again EXCEPT the one you wanted to
> delete.
>
> Or remove the contents with echo "" > filename. followed by a rename.
>
> The file name and contents no longer exist, just the basic inode
> structure ...does that count? ;-)

And it is even a new inmode structure. So indeed the old file is gone and a
new, empty one with the same name has been created.

Bye, Jojo

0
nospam.jojo (1344)
10/14/2008 4:59:35 PM
Joachim Schmitz wrote:
> The Natural Philosopher wrote:
>> Florian Diesch wrote:

>>> What's "file deletion commands"? To delete a file you need a program
>>> that can delete a file. You mat=y write that program yourself using
>>> any programming language or (ab)use a program that's written  for
>>> something else (e.g. some editors can delete files)
>>>
>>>    Florian
>> well you could move all the files elsewhere, using cp, reformat the
>> partition, and move them all back again EXCEPT the one you wanted to
>> delete.
>>
>> Or remove the contents with echo "" > filename. followed by a rename.
>>
>> The file name and contents no longer exist, just the basic inode
>> structure ...does that count? ;-)
>
> And it is even a new inmode structure.

Why?

renaming doesn't change the inode, nor does truncating.

So indeed the old file is gone and a
> new, empty one with the same name has been created.
>
> Bye, Jojo

0
The
10/14/2008 6:25:26 PM
annalissa wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Is it possible to delete a file without using rm command ?
>
> conditions are as follows:-
>
>  1)  mv command is not allowed
>  2) GUI utilities are not allowed
>  3) only command line is allowed to use
>

> assumptions:-
>                      1)  immutable property is not set
>                      2)  sticky bit is not set
>                      3)  there is no permission issues

Did you accidentally delete some files in /bin and /usr/bin or is this a
homework problem ?
ray wrote:

> On Mon, 13 Oct 2008 22:51:39 -0700, annalissa wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Is it possible to delete a file without using rm command ?
>>
>> conditions are as follows:-
>>
>>  1)  mv command is not allowed
>>  2) GUI utilities are not allowed
>>  3) only command line is allowed to use
>>

>> assumptions:-
>>                      1)  immutable property is not set
>>                      2)  sticky bit is not set
>>                      3)  there is no permission issues
>
> One obvious way comes to mind: format the partition on which it resides.

To me, that is a "file deletion command".
Melting the disk, however...

--
mail: echo 2573598220386708649153854147564528964895403631P|dc

0
Stein
10/15/2008 7:54:29 PM
On 2008-10-14, annalissa <aarklon@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Is it possible to delete a file without using rm command ?
>
> conditions are as follows:-
>
>  1)  mv command is not allowed
>  2) GUI utilities are not allowed
>  3) only command line is allowed to use
>

> assumptions:-
>                      1)  immutable property is not set
>                      2)  sticky bit is not set
>                      3)  there is no permission issues

Write a script that does that in any language (except shell, of course).
Most also offer an interactive "shell", e.g. ruby:

irb(main):003:0> File.delete("/tmp/t")
=> 1
irb(main):004:0> File.delete("/tmp/t")
Errno::ENOENT: No such file or directory - /tmp/t
	from (irb):4:in `delete'
	from (irb):4

	-Erik

--
hackerkey://v4sw5hw2ln3pr5ck0ma2u7LwXm4l7Gi2e2t4b7Ken4/7a16s0r1p-5.62/-6.56g5OR
0

HTTP downloading & file associations
Hi, I am struggling with what seems to be a simple problem. I cannot figure out what is going on. When I offer a file on my webite for download using an <A> element with an href attribute pointing to the file, I never had an issue with it until I found it doesn't work with any file extension. EXE and ZIP would work but others don't, the browser will just play dumb and tell me the site or file does not exist. It says "The page cannot be found. The page you are looking for might have been removed, had its name changed, or is temporarily unavailable." ...

Importing by file name
As part of a post on python-ideas, I wanted to knock together a quick little script that "imports" a file based on its name, in the same way that the Python interpreter will happily take an absolute pathname for the main script. I'm sure there's a way to do it, but I don't know how. Obviously the import statement can't do it, but I've been poking around with __import__ and importlib without success. (Experiments are being done on Python 3.3; if a different version would make the job easier I'm happy to switch. This is just a curiosity tinkering.) Her...

Unexpected results of [file writable] and [file attributes] on NTFS
L.S. On Win2000 I'm trying to determine whether a user has write permission to a directory and to a file inside that directory (on a NTFS filesystem). Using [file writable] and [file attributes], I get unexpected results (compared with my experience with these commands on various "Linux" file systems). In the interactive session below, an unpriviliged user (erik), cd's into the systems area of a Win2000 system, to which he has no write permission. Attempts to open a file for writing confirm that unambigiously. However, the results of [file writable] and the -readonly...

.rfd files????
Does anyone know what creates a .rfd file? I've contacted Moderntech, Geopak and the FDOT and no one seems to know what is creating these files. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. RDF = Compiled UIC source code (Geoworks UI Compiler) http://www.icdatamaster.com/r.html RDF = Compiled UIC source code (Geoworks UI Compiler) http://www.icdatamaster.com/r.html RDF = Compiled UIC source code (Geoworks UI Compiler) found this on: http://www.icdatamaster.com/r.html http://tech.irt.org/articles/js086/# ...

how to change a .jpg file to a cdr file
i am trying to do artwork from an image. i want to put my pic on a shirt to be screened. how do i save the file from .jpg to cdr? PLEASE HELP!! "Amanda" <hollister_thomas@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:1169651265.586311.26850@k78g2000cwa.googlegroups.com... >i am trying to do artwork from an image. i want to put my pic on a > shirt to be screened. how do i save the file from .jpg to cdr? PLEASE > HELP!! > You buy Corel draw then open the jpg in there and save it as .cdr Ok If my guess is right the screened means screen printing and the want a image split to...

PMSHEET resource files
I've submitted all resource files on the PMSHEET page. This allows you to translate and modify pmsheet. If you have done so, please send me the link to the page where I can find the new version. Than I can add this link to the pmsheet page. Have fun, Jasper de Keijzer ...

MCC and C++ MEX-files
Hi! I'd like to compile a project consisting of several m-files and mex-files using mcc to a stand-alone application. It is about a Windows system with Matlab R13 (compiler version 3.0). All mex-files are readily compiled to DLLs and the project is running at the Matlab prompt. All m-files are correctly compiled without error message and all mex-files emerged from C-files are correctly integrated, but there is a warning message for the mex-file based on a C++-file (compiler invocation: mcc -m -B sgl program.m): 'References to "mexfilename" will produce a run-time err...

How do you recover deleted pictures on Samsung tablet and/or external hard drive
A friend just left me a message that he copied pictures from his Samsung tablet to an external hard drive, and then, he *thought* he deleted the pictures off the Samsung tablet, but now they're nowhere to be found. I'll get more information from him, but, do you have initial advice for me as to what he should do to recover the lost pictures? "Jonathan Williams" <jwbwilliams@comcast.net> wrote in message news:m314h1$8fo$2@news.albasani.net... >A friend just left me a message that he copied pictures from his Samsung > tablet to an external hard drive,...

delete on delete !
Hi, If I do another delete on an object which has been deleted earlier, then how is the system expected to behave ? Is it an unpredictable behavior ?? Thanks Sandeep Sandeep Grover wrote: > Hi, > > If I do another delete on an object which has been deleted earlier, then > how is > the system expected to behave ? > > Is it an unpredictable behavior ?? > Yes, unpredictable. Some will choke, some destructors SEGV, it goes on and on. Sandeep Grover wrote: > If I do another delete on an object which has been deleted earlier, then > how is the system expect...

Permanently deleting libraries
Is there a way to permanently delete libraries? Using Thomas Rast's port browser, you can go in and find old deleted libraries in port memory. I know the OS marks as deleted so that flash memory is cycled properly, but this seems to be what is giving me problems with installing ARM libraries into port 2. If I store the library, and then delete it, and then store it again using the ARM toolbox FixSTO it always works. So what would be the way to go delete those libraries permantly? TW Hello, To delete libraries permanently, you can force a bank repack. The API to repack a bank is: ...

RE: deleting table from dropped dbspace
2 issues with that. 1 - The ontape -r -D never got to the point of asking about applying llogs. (after 13 hours of running) 2 - Rolling forward the llogs would again delete the data from the tables in question.=20 Thanks, Randy -----Original Message----- From: informix-list-bounces@iiug.org [mailto:informix-list-bounces@iiug.org] On Behalf Of Superboer Sent: Monday, December 11, 2006 8:03 AM To: informix-list@iiug.org Subject: Re: deleting table from dropped dbspace You have to rollforward your trx log when restoreing using ontape -r -D... see manual. this will bring you b...

File sharing from externsl USB drive
I have four computers in the home on a wireless network. The "Main" computer is my desktop (windows XP Pro) which is connected to the wireless router via ehternet cable. A cable modem is connected to the router. I have two other desktops (both Windows XP Pro) and a laptop (Windows XP Home) connected wirelessly to the router. I have an external USB hard drive connected to the "Main" computer. I am trying to share some folders on the external drive but none of the other computers can access the folders. They can see the folders as they do show up in 'My Netwo...

How to dynamically include variables in the saved file names?
Hello, I need automate series of test runs each produces a figure. Variables of test conditions and results are embedded in the figure's title and in a text properties using sprintf() function. I would like to save those pictures from the m-file code in the JPG format with the file name including those variables. So far my best guess is to use a function saveas(gcf,'figure_name.jpg') that doesn't let me change the name dynamically and hence over writes the files. How to dynamically include variables in the saved file names? Thank you. Len Voronov wrote: > > > Hello, ...

Network Configuration files
After some discussion with others on irc:#c-64 I'd like to suggest the following method of writing configuration files. With the current network configuration layout I'm strongly against having data be thrown together, assigned specific offsets and then having to tack additional data onto the end of it. It prevents expansion for the future in a clear, consistant manner. The arguments against the below proposal have fallen into several catagories. I'll address them here: 1) The new structure can't hold more than 64k worth of configuration information. I don't see ...

Subject: Use of new and delete in C++
Hi, I am working on a way to create a "window" within a dos console. I'm using Microsoft Visual C++. My main problem is that I am using new to create a new CHAR_INFO array within the constructor, and I want to destroy it within the destructor using delete. However, the array is not known outside of the constructor. This is a class within a class. Until the object is created, it has no way to know the size of the array; the size is passed as a parameter to the constructor. Is there a way to make the destructor aware of the array, or to make it public to the class...

Kernel deletion
Forgive a novice question, but is there some neat way to delete an unwanted kernel? I have Core 3 Fedora and recently did an Up2date which netted me a new kernel. It seems to run fine and I'd like to get rid of the previous one. Do I have to delete individual files in the /boot directory and from the grub.conf file? -- Ron hi Ronald Hands wrote: > Forgive a novice question, but is there some neat way to delete an > unwanted kernel? I have Core 3 Fedora and recently did an Up2date which > netted me a new kernel. It seems to run fine and I'd like to get rid o...

How to open HTML file and provide a link
Hi I want to display HTML text in Ruby Tk canvas or other widget. How can i display the contents of a http url in any Ruby widget? Also i want to provide a link to HTTP url in Ruby Tk widget so that when it is clicked its site opens in default web browser or a new Ruby Tk window ...

file attributes don't change, why?
I'm trying to keep the user, group, and attributes from the original file onto the replacement file. after research, i found information to do the following: BOOL fileIsHere = [[NSFileManager defaultManager] fileExistsAtPath: @"/Library/WebServer/Documents/count1.shtml"]; if (fileIsHere) { attrib = [[NSFileManager defaultManager] fileAttributesAtPath: @"/Library/WebServer/Documents/count1.shtml" traverseLink: NO]; } [outfile writeToFile: @"/Library/WebServer/Documents/count1.shtml" atomically:YES]; if (fileIsHere) { [att...

GUNZIP
I have a file "FILENAME.tgz". I am trying to un-compress it and I have tried the following: gunzip -d FILENAME.tgz...........but it doesn't work. why? In article <ce82aeaa.0310231434.178db0ba@posting.google.com>, dave wrote: > I have a file "FILENAME.tgz". I am trying to un-compress it and I have > tried the following: gunzip -d FILENAME.tgz...........but it doesn't > work. why? Always, always, always mention the verbatim error/warning message when asking for help! "Does not work" could mean anything. Last time I looked, gunzip didn'...

Hermws
I have been meaning to ask for a long time what Hermes is doing while the message in the title above is displayed in the 'Hermes transfer status' window, but no activity is shown on the router. During this time the RiscPC single-tasks. Hermes v2.65 is in use. Normally the delay in resuming control is short and does not matter, but recenty the delay was several minutes after someone had sent me an email with a very large attachment, Brian. -- ______________________________________________________________ Brian Carroll, Ripon, North Yorkshire, UK __________________...

Deleted Mac partition
OK all your gurus, impress me... A friend with an older iMac (PPC) accidentally re-partitioned one of her external drives with critical data on it. She apparently went to re-partition it, it started to do it, and then she hit Cancel (realizing it was the wrong drive). It was not re-formatted. What tools are out there that can recover her files, and/or how much should recovery like this cost (with any recommended recovery companies). Thanks, Steve Steve de Mena <steve@stevedemena.com> wrote: > OK all your gurus, impress me... > > A friend with an old...

Remote file access from Windows?
I'd like to be able to access files on a remote system in an "invisible" manner from a Windows system. What I'm after is to be able to interact with the remote filesystem just as I would locally (and just as it is done under UNIX). Any suggestion to a module that already does this or something similar? jayb wrote: > I'd like to be able to access files on a remote system in an > "invisible" manner from a Windows system. What I'm after is to be able > to interact with the remote filesystem just as I would locally (and > just as it is done under...

Use MPC to build lib from IDL generated files
Hi. As the subject says, I want to build a lib (.a/.so) from the file generated from my IDL (using tao_idl). I us an .mpc file like this: project: taolib_with_idl { idlflags += -DSOMEDEFINE IDL_Files { my_idl.idl } } This works like a charm and I can build the lib. But: The name of the resulting .so file is always <projectname>.so.1.4.2 which is not so nice. I know that I can pass SOVERSION=.x.y.z to make but it would be nicer to embed that version information in the .mpc file. Is that possible ? TIA Stefan ...

pg_restore and large files
Hello, I am currently using PostgreSQL v7.3.4 on a RedHat 8.0 system (2.4.23 kernel) using the ext3 filesystem. I am experiencing problems when performing a pg_restore using a file which is 2.3G in size. The dump, which seemed to run smoothly, was created using the -Fc option. When I perform the restore, the following error occurs before the pg_restore fails: pg_restore: [custom archiver] error during file seek: Invalid argument pg_restore: *** aborted because of error Why is this happening? The error comes from pg_backup_custom.c, it seems that an fseeko() is failing (...

Deleting objects on the fly
Hello, I wish to know whether I should delete objects created on the fly via the "del obj" statement. I noticed the RAM usage increased whenever the application is being run for a long time. I am creating lots of objects (messages) on the fly for communication between threads. Rather than having python's gc to do the work, does it make a difference if I force a deletion? Thanks. On Aug 10, 2:25 am, Godzilla <godzillais...@gmail.com> wrote: > Hello, > > I wish to know whether I should delete objects created on the fly via > the "del obj" statement....