f



How to delete a file ?

Hi all,

Is it possible to delete a file without using rm command ?

conditions are as follows:-

 1)  mv command is not allowed
 2) GUI utilities are not allowed
 3) only command line is allowed to use



assumptions:-
                     1)  immutable property is not set
                     2)  sticky bit is not set
                     3)  there is no permission issues
0
aarklon (253)
10/14/2008 5:51:39 AM
comp.os.linux.misc 33589 articles. 0 followers. amosa69 (78) is leader. Post Follow

25 Replies
370 Views

Similar Articles

[PageSpeed] 32

On Oct 14, 10:51=A0am, annalissa <aark...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Is it possible to delete a file without using rm command ?
>
> conditions are as follows:-
>
> =A01) =A0mv command is not allowed
> =A02) GUI utilities are not allowed
> =A03) only command line is allowed to use
>
> assumptions:-
> =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A01) =A0immutable property is no=
t set
> =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A02) =A0sticky bit is not set
> =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A03) =A0there is no permission i=
ssues


 one more condition  file deletion commands are  not allowed
0
aarklon (253)
10/14/2008 7:09:51 AM
On Oct 14, 9:09=A0am, annalissa <aark...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Oct 14, 10:51=A0am, annalissa <aark...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Hi all,
>
> > Is it possible to delete a file without using rm command ?
>
> > conditions are as follows:-
>
> > =A01) =A0mv command is not allowed
> > =A02) GUI utilities are not allowed
> > =A03) only command line is allowed to use
>
> > assumptions:-
> > =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A01) =A0immutable property is =
not set
> > =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A02) =A0sticky bit is not set
> > =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A03) =A0there is no permission=
 issues
>
> =A0one more condition =A0file deletion commands are =A0not allowed

Do you need to remove the file itself, or just the contents? If the
latter, you could try ">filename" iirc.
0
10/14/2008 7:30:02 AM
On Oct 14, 12:30=A0pm, kenneho <kenneho....@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Oct 14, 9:09=A0am, annalissa <aark...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>
>
> > On Oct 14, 10:51=A0am, annalissa <aark...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > > Hi all,
>
> > > Is it possible to delete a file without using rm command ?
>
> > > conditions are as follows:-
>
> > > =A01) =A0mv command is not allowed
> > > =A02) GUI utilities are not allowed
> > > =A03) only command line is allowed to use
>
> > > assumptions:-
> > > =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A01) =A0immutable property i=
s not set
> > > =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A02) =A0sticky bit is not se=
t
> > > =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A03) =A0there is no permissi=
on issues
>
> > =A0one more condition =A0file deletion commands are =A0not allowed
>
> Do you need to remove the file itself, or just the contents? If the
> latter, you could try ">filename" iirc.

 to remove the contents in can do cat /dev/null  > filename

but this question was asked to me by friend to evaluate my linux skills
0
aarklon (253)
10/14/2008 8:16:27 AM
annalissa <aarklon@gmail.com> wrote:
> to remove the contents in can do cat /dev/null  > filename
> 
> but this question was asked to me by friend to evaluate my linux skills

Helping you too much then would be cheating...
Use apropos with a few words to see what man pages come up.
:)
-- 
|   spike1@freenet.co.uk   |                                                 |
|   Andrew Halliwell BSc   | "ARSE! GERLS!! DRINK! DRINK! DRINK!!!"          |
|            in            | "THAT WOULD BE AN ECUMENICAL MATTER!...FECK!!!! |
|     Computer Science     | - Father Jack in "Father Ted"                   |
0
spike11 (2375)
10/14/2008 9:33:54 AM
annalissa <aarklon@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Is it possible to delete a file without using rm command ?

>>  1) mv command is not allowed
>>  2) GUI utilities are not allowed
>>  3) only command line is allowed to use
>   4) file deletion commands are not allowed

What's your friend's definition of a file deletion command? Anything
that calls unlink(2), or a bit less restrictive than that?

Chris
0
chris-usenet (1132)
10/14/2008 10:22:12 AM
annalissa <aarklon@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Oct 14, 10:51�am, annalissa <aark...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Is it possible to delete a file without using rm command ?
>>
>> conditions are as follows:-
>>
>> �1) �mv command is not allowed
>> �2) GUI utilities are not allowed
>> �3) only command line is allowed to use
>>
>> assumptions:-
>> � � � � � � � � � � �1) �immutable property is not set
>> � � � � � � � � � � �2) �sticky bit is not set
>> � � � � � � � � � � �3) �there is no permission issues
>
>  one more condition  file deletion commands are  not allowed

What's "file deletion commands"? To delete a file you need a program
that can delete a file. You mat=y write that program yourself using
any programming language or (ab)use a program that's written  for
something else (e.g. some editors can delete files)

   Florian
-- 
<http://www.florian-diesch.de/>
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
**  Hi! I'm a signature virus! Copy me into your signature, please!  **
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
0
diesch (335)
10/14/2008 10:30:30 AM
On Oct 14, 10:16=A0am, annalissa <aark...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Oct 14, 12:30=A0pm, kenneho <kenneho....@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>
>
>
>
> > On Oct 14, 9:09=A0am, annalissa <aark...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > > On Oct 14, 10:51=A0am, annalissa <aark...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > > > Hi all,
>
> > > > Is it possible to delete a file without using rm command ?
>
> > > > conditions are as follows:-
>
> > > > =A01) =A0mv command is not allowed
> > > > =A02) GUI utilities are not allowed
> > > > =A03) only command line is allowed to use
>
> > > > assumptions:-
> > > > =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A01) =A0immutable property=
 is not set
> > > > =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A02) =A0sticky bit is not =
set
> > > > =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A03) =A0there is no permis=
sion issues
>
> > > =A0one more condition =A0file deletion commands are =A0not allowed
>
> > Do you need to remove the file itself, or just the contents? If the
> > latter, you could try ">filename" iirc.
>
> =A0to remove the contents in can do cat /dev/null =A0> filename
>
> but this question was asked to me by friend to evaluate my linux skills- =
Hide quoted text -
>
> - Show quoted text -

I'm interested in the answer, so please post it here when you figure
it out. :)
0
10/14/2008 10:47:13 AM
Florian Diesch wrote:
> annalissa <aarklon@gmail.com> wrote:
> 
>> On Oct 14, 10:51 am, annalissa <aark...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> Is it possible to delete a file without using rm command ?
>>>
>>> conditions are as follows:-
>>>
>>>  1)  mv command is not allowed
>>>  2) GUI utilities are not allowed
>>>  3) only command line is allowed to use
>>>
>>> assumptions:-
>>>                      1)  immutable property is not set
>>>                      2)  sticky bit is not set
>>>                      3)  there is no permission issues
>>  one more condition  file deletion commands are  not allowed
> 
> What's "file deletion commands"? To delete a file you need a program
> that can delete a file. You mat=y write that program yourself using
> any programming language or (ab)use a program that's written  for
> something else (e.g. some editors can delete files)
> 
>    Florian

well you could move all the files elsewhere, using cp, reformat the 
partition, and move them all back again EXCEPT the one you wanted to delete.


Or remove the contents with echo "" > filename. followed by a rename.

The file name and contents no longer exist, just the basic inode 
structure ...does that count? ;-)

I've always favoured throwing the whole computer out of the window and 
then running a Sherman tank over it. That deletes most things.

Another good one is to remove the hard disk and shove it in a microwave.

Or strap it to your feet and jump off a bridge.

Really, there are so MANY answers, one gets spoiled for choice...

I would simply rename the rm command, use it, and rename it back afterwards.


If that fits the 'rules' of this silly game.

0
The
10/14/2008 1:10:46 PM
On 10/14/2008 03:09 AM, annalissa wrote:
> On Oct 14, 10:51 am, annalissa <aark...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Is it possible to delete a file without using rm command ?
>>
>> conditions are as follows:-
>>
>>  1)  mv command is not allowed
>>  2) GUI utilities are not allowed
>>  3) only command line is allowed to use
>>
>> assumptions:-
>>                      1)  immutable property is not set
>>                      2)  sticky bit is not set
>>                      3)  there is no permission issues
> 
> 
>  one more condition  file deletion commands are  not allowed

If you want to get pedantic, you cannot delete a file if file deletion
commands are not allowed.

Pay somebody to delete the file for you and don't ask how they
did it.  *You* did not use the rm command.
0
oneal (207)
10/14/2008 1:17:27 PM
On Tuesday 14 October 2008 09:09, annalissa wrote:

> On Oct 14, 10:51 am, annalissa <aark...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Is it possible to delete a file without using rm command ?
>>
>> conditions are as follows:-
>>
>> 1)  mv command is not allowed
>> 2) GUI utilities are not allowed
>> 3) only command line is allowed to use
>>
>> assumptions:-
>> 1)  immutable property is not set
>> 2)  sticky bit is not set
>> 3)  there is no permission issues
> 
> 
>  one more condition  file deletion commands are  not allowed

Open konqueror, or nautilus, and drag the file to the trash. Then
select "empty trash".

0
pk (435)
10/14/2008 1:30:36 PM
On Oct 14, 3:30=A0pm, pk <p...@pk.invalid> wrote:
> On Tuesday 14 October 2008 09:09, annalissa wrote:
>
>
>
>
>
> > On Oct 14, 10:51=A0am, annalissa <aark...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >> Hi all,
>
> >> Is it possible to delete a file without using rm command ?
>
> >> conditions are as follows:-
>
> >> 1) =A0mv command is not allowed
> >> 2) GUI utilities are not allowed
> >> 3) only command line is allowed to use
>
> >> assumptions:-
> >> 1) =A0immutable property is not set
> >> 2) =A0sticky bit is not set
> >> 3) =A0there is no permission issues
>
> > =A0one more condition =A0file deletion commands are =A0not allowed
>
> Open konqueror, or nautilus, and drag the file to the trash. Then
> select "empty trash".- Hide quoted text -
>
> - Show quoted text -

Funny! :)
0
10/14/2008 2:03:28 PM
pk wrote:
> On Tuesday 14 October 2008 09:09, annalissa wrote:
> 
>> On Oct 14, 10:51 am, annalissa <aark...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> Is it possible to delete a file without using rm command ?
>>>
>>> conditions are as follows:-
>>>
>>> 1)  mv command is not allowed
>>> 2) GUI utilities are not allowed
>>> 3) only command line is allowed to use
>>>
>>> assumptions:-
>>> 1)  immutable property is not set
>>> 2)  sticky bit is not set
>>> 3)  there is no permission issues
>>
>>  one more condition  file deletion commands are  not allowed
> 
> Open konqueror, or nautilus, and drag the file to the trash. Then
> select "empty trash".
> 
Gui commands not allowed...

Command line only.

Fdisk anyone?

0
The
10/14/2008 2:21:24 PM
[me@work]$ shred filename
0
newbie.cpp (21)
10/14/2008 2:40:44 PM
On Tuesday 14 October 2008 16:21, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

>>>> 1)  mv command is not allowed
>>>> 2) GUI utilities are not allowed
>>>> 3) only command line is allowed to use
>>>>
>>>> assumptions:-
>>>> 1)  immutable property is not set
>>>> 2)  sticky bit is not set
>>>> 3)  there is no permission issues
>>>
>>>  one more condition  file deletion commands are  not allowed
>> 
>> Open konqueror, or nautilus, and drag the file to the trash. Then
>> select "empty trash".
>> 
> Gui commands not allowed...
> 
> Command line only.

Ah, I missed that bit.

Then my takes are:

--

perl -e 'unlink("file");'

a='rm file'; eval $a

printf '\x72\x6d\x20\x66\x69\x6c\x65\x0a' | sh

--

No file deletion commands (at least, not directly on the command line).
0
pk (435)
10/14/2008 2:50:46 PM
On Mon, 13 Oct 2008 22:51:39 -0700, annalissa wrote:

> Hi all,
> 
> Is it possible to delete a file without using rm command ?
> 
> conditions are as follows:-
> 
>  1)  mv command is not allowed
>  2) GUI utilities are not allowed
>  3) only command line is allowed to use
> 
> 
> 
> assumptions:-
>                      1)  immutable property is not set
>                      2)  sticky bit is not set
>                      3)  there is no permission issues

One obvious way comes to mind: format the partition on which it resides.
0
ray65 (5422)
10/14/2008 2:52:45 PM
On Tue, 14 Oct 2008 03:09:51 -0400, annalissa <aarklon@gmail.com> wrote:

>  one more condition  file deletion commands are  not allowed
 
tar --remove-files -cf /dev/null $filename

Or would that count as a file deletion command?

Regards, Dave Hodgins

-- 
Change nomail.afraid.org to ody.ca to reply by email.
(nomail.afraid.org has been set up specifically for
use in usenet. Feel free to use it yourself.)
0
dwhodgins (374)
10/14/2008 3:42:30 PM
annalissa <aarklon@gmail.com> wrote in news:dba911d8-5648-4ae1-a859-
14ab521d2a0d@v16g2000prc.googlegroups.com:

> Hi all,
> 
> Is it possible to delete a file without using rm command ?
> 
> conditions are as follows:-
> 
>  1)  mv command is not allowed
>  2) GUI utilities are not allowed
>  3) only command line is allowed to use
> 
> 
> 
> assumptions:-
>                      1)  immutable property is not set
>                      2)  sticky bit is not set
>                      3)  there is no permission issues



fdisk ;-)

0
prop_m (26)
10/14/2008 3:58:24 PM
On Oct 14, 6:10=A0pm, The Natural Philosopher <a...@b.c> wrote:
> Florian Diesch wrote:
> > annalissa <aark...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >> On Oct 14, 10:51 am, annalissa <aark...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >>> Hi all,
>
> >>> Is it possible to delete a file without using rm command ?
>
> >>> conditions are as follows:-
>
> >>> =A01) =A0mv command is not allowed
> >>> =A02) GUI utilities are not allowed
> >>> =A03) only command line is allowed to use
>
> >>> assumptions:-
> >>> =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A01) =A0immutable property i=
s not set
> >>> =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A02) =A0sticky bit is not se=
t
> >>> =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A03) =A0there is no permissi=
on issues
> >> =A0one more condition =A0file deletion commands are =A0not allowed
>
> > What's "file deletion commands"? To delete a file you need a program
> > that can delete a file. You mat=3Dy write that program yourself using
> > any programming language or (ab)use a program that's written =A0for
> > something else (e.g. some editors can delete files)
>
> > =A0 =A0Florian
>
> well you could move all the files elsewhere, using cp, reformat the
> partition, and move them all back again EXCEPT the one you wanted to dele=
te.
>
> Or remove the contents with echo "" > filename. followed by a rename.
>
> The file name and contents no longer exist, just the basic inode
> structure ...does that count? ;-)
>
> yes that counts

0
aarklon (253)
10/14/2008 4:05:32 PM
On Tue, 14 Oct 2008, annalissa wrote:

> but this question was asked to me by friend to evaluate my linux skills
>
So then it becomes a test of your ability to ask a question, and get
an answer.

   Michael

0
et472 (516)
10/14/2008 4:13:29 PM
annalissa wrote:
> On Oct 14, 12:30 pm, kenneho <kenneho....@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Oct 14, 9:09 am, annalissa <aark...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>
>>
>>> On Oct 14, 10:51 am, annalissa <aark...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>>> Hi all,
>>
>>>> Is it possible to delete a file without using rm command ?
>>
>>>> conditions are as follows:-
>>
>>>> 1) mv command is not allowed
>>>> 2) GUI utilities are not allowed
>>>> 3) only command line is allowed to use
>>
>>>> assumptions:-
>>>> 1) immutable property is not set
>>>> 2) sticky bit is not set
>>>> 3) there is no permission issues
>>
>>> one more condition file deletion commands are not allowed
>>
>> Do you need to remove the file itself, or just the contents? If the
>> latter, you could try ">filename" iirc.
>
>  to remove the contents in can do cat /dev/null  > filename

useless use of cat and /dev/null (drop both, "> filename" does it too)

Bye, Jojo 


0
nospam.jojo (1344)
10/14/2008 4:57:09 PM
The Natural Philosopher wrote:
> Florian Diesch wrote:
>> annalissa <aarklon@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> On Oct 14, 10:51 am, annalissa <aark...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>> Hi all,
>>>>
>>>> Is it possible to delete a file without using rm command ?
>>>>
>>>> conditions are as follows:-
>>>>
>>>>  1)  mv command is not allowed
>>>>  2) GUI utilities are not allowed
>>>>  3) only command line is allowed to use
>>>>
>>>> assumptions:-
>>>>                      1)  immutable property is not set
>>>>                      2)  sticky bit is not set
>>>>                      3)  there is no permission issues
>>>  one more condition  file deletion commands are  not allowed
>>
>> What's "file deletion commands"? To delete a file you need a program
>> that can delete a file. You mat=y write that program yourself using
>> any programming language or (ab)use a program that's written  for
>> something else (e.g. some editors can delete files)
>>
>>    Florian
>
> well you could move all the files elsewhere, using cp, reformat the
> partition, and move them all back again EXCEPT the one you wanted to
> delete.
>
> Or remove the contents with echo "" > filename. followed by a rename.
>
> The file name and contents no longer exist, just the basic inode
> structure ...does that count? ;-)

And it is even a new inmode structure. So indeed the old file is gone and a 
new, empty one with the same name has been created.

Bye, Jojo 


0
nospam.jojo (1344)
10/14/2008 4:59:35 PM
Joachim Schmitz wrote:
> The Natural Philosopher wrote:
>> Florian Diesch wrote:
>>> annalissa <aarklon@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>>> On Oct 14, 10:51 am, annalissa <aark...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>>> Hi all,
>>>>>
>>>>> Is it possible to delete a file without using rm command ?
>>>>>
>>>>> conditions are as follows:-
>>>>>
>>>>>  1)  mv command is not allowed
>>>>>  2) GUI utilities are not allowed
>>>>>  3) only command line is allowed to use
>>>>>
>>>>> assumptions:-
>>>>>                      1)  immutable property is not set
>>>>>                      2)  sticky bit is not set
>>>>>                      3)  there is no permission issues
>>>>  one more condition  file deletion commands are  not allowed
>>> What's "file deletion commands"? To delete a file you need a program
>>> that can delete a file. You mat=y write that program yourself using
>>> any programming language or (ab)use a program that's written  for
>>> something else (e.g. some editors can delete files)
>>>
>>>    Florian
>> well you could move all the files elsewhere, using cp, reformat the
>> partition, and move them all back again EXCEPT the one you wanted to
>> delete.
>>
>> Or remove the contents with echo "" > filename. followed by a rename.
>>
>> The file name and contents no longer exist, just the basic inode
>> structure ...does that count? ;-)
> 
> And it is even a new inmode structure. 

Why?

renaming doesn't change the inode, nor does truncating.


So indeed the old file is gone and a
> new, empty one with the same name has been created.
> 
> Bye, Jojo 
> 
> 
0
The
10/14/2008 6:25:26 PM
annalissa wrote:

> Hi all,
> 
> Is it possible to delete a file without using rm command ?
> 
> conditions are as follows:-
> 
>  1)  mv command is not allowed
>  2) GUI utilities are not allowed
>  3) only command line is allowed to use
> 
> 
> 
> assumptions:-
>                      1)  immutable property is not set
>                      2)  sticky bit is not set
>                      3)  there is no permission issues

Did you accidentally delete some files in /bin and /usr/bin or is this a
homework problem ?
0
10/14/2008 7:01:59 PM
ray wrote:

> On Mon, 13 Oct 2008 22:51:39 -0700, annalissa wrote:
> 
>> Hi all,
>> 
>> Is it possible to delete a file without using rm command ?
>> 
>> conditions are as follows:-
>> 
>>  1)  mv command is not allowed
>>  2) GUI utilities are not allowed
>>  3) only command line is allowed to use
>> 
>> 
>> 
>> assumptions:-
>>                      1)  immutable property is not set
>>                      2)  sticky bit is not set
>>                      3)  there is no permission issues
> 
> One obvious way comes to mind: format the partition on which it resides.

To me, that is a "file deletion command".
Melting the disk, however...

-- 
mail: echo 2573598220386708649153854147564528964895403631P|dc

0
Stein
10/15/2008 7:54:29 PM
On 2008-10-14, annalissa <aarklon@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Is it possible to delete a file without using rm command ?
>
> conditions are as follows:-
>
>  1)  mv command is not allowed
>  2) GUI utilities are not allowed
>  3) only command line is allowed to use
>
>
>
> assumptions:-
>                      1)  immutable property is not set
>                      2)  sticky bit is not set
>                      3)  there is no permission issues

Write a script that does that in any language (except shell, of course).
Most also offer an interactive "shell", e.g. ruby:

irb(main):003:0> File.delete("/tmp/t")
=> 1
irb(main):004:0> File.delete("/tmp/t")
Errno::ENOENT: No such file or directory - /tmp/t
	from (irb):4:in `delete'
	from (irb):4

	-Erik

-- 
hackerkey://v4sw5hw2ln3pr5ck0ma2u7LwXm4l7Gi2e2t4b7Ken4/7a16s0r1p-5.62/-6.56g5OR
0
erik_hahn (31)
10/15/2008 8:17:45 PM
Reply:

Similar Artilces:

IN your opinion what is the best way to share files between LInux and IN your opinion what is the best way to share files between LInux and MAC OS X?
IN your opinion what is the best way to share files between LInux and MAC OS X? I set up SAMBA on the LInux machine and the MAC (running the very latest OSX) can copy files to the SAMBA share at lightning speeds. When I try and copy files from the LInux machine to the Mac they take an eternity. So slow in fact I have to kill the process . I would appreciate any thoughts on why that maybe and also if there is a better way to share files (I guess HTTP-FTP would be the most sensible option ). navti wrote: > IN your opinion what is the best way to share files between LInux and > MAC O...

cannot delete file
cannot delete file - http://LongPathTool.com can fix it Do you have error messages?, like : Path too long. Error cannot delete file: cannot read from source file or disk Cannot delete file: Access is denied There has been a sharing violation. Cannot delete file or folder The file name you specified is not valid or too long. Specify a different file name. The source or destination file may be in use. The file is in use by another program or user. Error Deleting File or Folder Make sure the disk is not full or write-protected and that the file is not currently in use. Error Copy...

cannot delete file
cannot delete file - http://LongPathTool.com can fix it Do you have error messages?, like : Path too long. Error cannot delete file: cannot read from source file or disk Cannot delete file: Access is denied There has been a sharing violation. Cannot delete file or folder The file name you specified is not valid or too long. Specify a different file name. The source or destination file may be in use. The file is in use by another program or user. Error Deleting File or Folder Make sure the disk is not full or write-protected and that the file is not currently in use. Error Copy...

Command Delete.... doesn't delete a file on OS X
Nope I was lied to yet again. Hitting command delete absolutely DOES NOT delete a file. The only way to delete a file via the keyboard on a Mac is to hit Command Backspace. That makes NO sense whatsover. Can you remap the keys at least on this unintuitive POS? In article <18230305-3c4e-4f15-907e-7b1df298e7e0@k30g2000hse.googlegroups.com>, MuahMan <muahman@gmail.com> wrote: > Nope I was lied to yet again. Hitting command delete absolutely DOES > NOT delete a file. The only way to delete a file via the keyboard on a > Mac is to hit Command Backspace. That makes NO sens...

http://DuplicateFilesDeleter.com - This software deletes duplicate files in media collection of any type Duplicate Files Deleter
http://DuplicateFilesDeleter.com - This software deletes duplicate files in media collection of any type Duplicate Files Deleter - automatically with the software to Delete File Duplicates. This software deletes duplicate files in media collection of any type. Want to delete duplicate files? Delete duplicate files everywhere: Delete duplicate files in music collection Automatically delete duplicate files in the photo collection Find and delete duplicate files in any folder Delete duplicate files on the single and multiple hard drives =85 delete duplicate files everywhere All you n...

deleting os files
Being a bit of a newbie, I hope this question isn't too stupid. I have searched the archives and docs for any reports about files and csv messages and not found anything that mentions the problem I am having. I have happily been using the os.remove and file.close commands with a program that sends data to an ftp site. Now I am using the csv module to read some os files and extract some fields that I use to send messages to someone. Once the message has been sent I want to delete the file. Great I think. I'll cannibalise the code I did for the ftp stuff. The program runs in a perman...

http://LongPathTool.com
http://LongPathTool.com - Copy, Unlock and Delete Path Too Long files Do you have error messages?, like : Path too long. Error cannot delete file: cannot read from source file or disk Cannot delete file: Access is denied There has been a sharing Often when we try to delete a file or folder in Windows, we see annoying messages like "Cannot delete file: Access is denied;" or "Cannot delete folder: It is being used by another person or program" or "There has been a sharing violation;" or "The source or destination file may be in use;" or "Th...

Cannot Delete File? Long Path Tool Can - http://CannotDeleteFile.net LONG PATH Tool
Cannot Delete File? Long Path Tool Can - http://CannotDeleteFile.net LONG PATH Tool - Windows tool to copy or delete files and folders with path too long error Windows tool to copy or delete files and folders with path too long or filename too long error. Just browse to the file and press a button to copy or detele it, thats it! The application solves the problem with inability to copy and delete files and folders with long paths in Explorer. They could be created by virus/adware/Mac OS/other software. Normally one can't access such files under Windows and therefore can't ...

including .specification files (or other "dot" files) in Rake Package on Linux/Mac OS X
I've found that my instantiation of the Rake Package task for packaging up a Rails app isn't including the '.specification' files in the '/vendor/gems/**/*' pattern. I've recreated this on Linux and Mac OS X. It seems the issue is that the files, which are copied from their origin to the target folder, are missing the files. I'm guessing this is because of the underlying copy commands, but haven't dug into it yet. Has anyone else run into this? Is there anyway to get Rake to pickup '.specification' or any other "dot" files? ...

Deleting data from the file without deleting the file first
This is a simple question, but I have never found an answer to this and been thinking about it. Plus not sure if this is the right forum, but not sure where to put this...I guess some kind of general programming guestion. So we open a file with iofstream and then write /save some text to file. Lets say we save a text: "Hello World!!" To a file HW.txt. Now, is it possible to delete the character 'o' from the file without deleting the file HW.txt first? Currently I think the only way to do this is to read the whole data from file to a string and then dele...

Delete files on Windows--C:\Recycle or file delete?
I'm implementing file removal in my app for Windows, and to preserve the standard user experience, I'd like to simply move the file to the recycle bin. However, file rename -force foo C:\Recycled\foo returns an error ("no such file or directory exists"). This works on the Mac: file rename -force foo ~/.Trash/foo. However, apparently Windows puts files in the recycled directory with cryptic names, not the original file name. Am I just better off with file delete foo? -- Cheers, Kevin Walzer, PhD WordTech Software - "Tame the Terminal" http://www.wordtech-softwar...

[Palm T3
Using a Palm Tungsten T3 and a Mac with OS X.4.2 Sync with the Palm Desktop is ok, with DocumentsToGo is mostly ok but there is one file that always comes back although I tried to delete it : - removed it from the sync list of DocumentsToGo - deleted all instances of this file and files with similar names on the Mac (found it at least at 3 places) - deleted it on the Palm Each time I synchronize (even after deleting all possible files on both sides), this file reappears on the Palm and possibly also on the Mac with an incremental number appended (eg. myfile_1.xls). There must be a hidden...

deleting protected files in Linux ?
Hi. I have a file with permissions r-------- If I write rm file_name it asks me telling that file is protected, do you want to delete ? If I ask yes, it deletes the file, although it has not "write" permission for the owner. Im using Suse Linux 9.1 Is it working right ? Then why owner-write permission is not working ? tnx Johnny johnny wrote: > Hi. I have a file with permissions r-------- > If I write rm file_name it asks me telling that file is protected, do > you want to delete ? If I ask yes, it deletes the file, although it has > not "write" permiss...

http://LongPathTool.com
http://LongPathTool.com - unlock files in-use by other applications + Delete and Copy Path Too Long Files The application solves the problem with inability to copy and delete files and folders with long paths or locked by some application. They could be created by virus/adware/different OS/other software. Normally one can't access such files under Windows and therefore can't delete them either. Please check other Features for more details. Also you can download the latest evaluation version on our download page. Long Path Tool uses a variety of methods to delete the pers...

can a deleted bat file delete an exe that deleted it?
Have an exe that needs to delete itself and other files in the same folder but this cannot be done. So thought I would use a bat file. Problem is that the exe is not deleted if the exe deletes the bat file and its folder first. I thought I could: 1 start the exe via a bat file that lives in the same folder. 2 The exe deletes all files including the bat file and folder they all live in 3 The exe ends and the running - but deleted - bat file then deletes the exe. 4 Plan is no files are left but exe is left in the folder above - see bat below I thought I could get this working...

Web resources about - How to delete a file ? - comp.os.linux.misc

Control-Alt-Delete - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
or in DOS , Windows 3.0 and earlier version of Windows or OS/2 , the key combination reboots the computer. Starting with Windows 3.1 , the command ...

Free Speech Group Angered After Facebook Deletes Post On Syria
Facebook issued an apology after mistakenly deleting a post from free speech group Article 19 about human rights abuses in Syria . continued… ...

Facebook brings activity log to mobile devices so users can delete stories and check privacy settings ...
... added an activity log feature to some mobile devices, allowing users to see all their recent activity, verify their privacy settings and delete ...

Tweets MPs Delete (@deletedbyMPs) on Twitter
Sign in Sign up You are on Twitter Mobile because you are using an old version of Internet Explorer. Learn more here Tweets MPs Delete @ deletedbyMPs ...

Pixar Animation Studios : Did Pixar accidentally delete Toy Story 2 during production?
Answer (1 of 2): Hi everyone, I'm the Oren Jacob in the video. Hopefully I can offer some first person color commentary about the video above ...

Flic – Delete & Manage Camera Roll Photos on the App Store on iTunes
Get Flic – Delete & Manage Camera Roll Photos on the App Store. See screenshots and ratings, and read customer reviews.

Delete - Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Delete buttons on an Apple keyboard. (This image is free to use on your blog or website. If you do so, please credit Cari McGee with a link to ...

Australian Open 2016: Seven deletes tweet about tennis' 'sexiest woman'
Channel Seven has quietly removed a tweet and online news story focusing on the &quot;sexiest woman&quot; of the Australian Open.

How to hide some of the iPhone apps that Apple doesn't let you delete
The iPhone comes with 30 pre-installed apps that you cannot delete no matter how hard you press on the screen. There is, however, a simple little ...

Kanye West tweets (then deletes) more than 30 posts in epic Twitter rant
Kanye West, one of music's most popular artists, had an epic twitter rant with Wiz Khalifa on Wednesday.

Resources last updated: 2/9/2016 1:28:01 AM