How to Import mail from Linux to Windows (for Mozilla)?

Hello,

My primary email client is Mozilla on Windows.  When I was try to
download my email from my ISP, the Mozilla client would stop after X
number of messages.  I have tried to import in MS Outlook and had the
same problem.  In both cases, the few emails that I downloaded were not
deleted from the server (although the server settings were set to delete
the mail after download).

I switched to my Linux system and used fetchmail.  The download was
smooth and efficient.  I can use mutt to read the email.  Now I have
copied the mbox from /var/spool/mail directory to my Windows box, to
import into Mozilla.  This is where I am lost.  The import feature only
gives the option to import from Netscape, Outlook and Outlook Express.
How do I import email from the Linux mbox into Mozilla Mail client in
Windows?  (I have tried Thunderbird but had the same issues as above.)

Thank you in advance for any help.

Regards,

Subba Rao
--
SR
castellan2004-mail@SPAMBUSTER.yahoo.com

Subba Rao wrote:

> Now I have
> copied the mbox from /var/spool/mail directory to my Windows box, to
> import into Mozilla.  This is where I am lost.  The import feature only
> gives the option to import from Netscape, Outlook and Outlook Express.
> How do I import email from the Linux mbox into Mozilla Mail client in
> Windows?

This is not a Linux question at all.  You need to find a mailing-list,
newsgroup, or web forum specific to Mozilla and ask the Mozilla experts
how to import an mbox file.  You'll almost certainly get better answers
from the Mozilla experts than you will find here.
0
jpstewart (2598)
2/6/2006 3:37:51 PM
Subba Rao wrote:
> Hello,
>
> My primary email client is Mozilla on Windows.  When I was try to
> download my email from my ISP, the Mozilla client would stop after X
> number of messages.  I have tried to import in MS Outlook and had the
> same problem.  In both cases, the few emails that I downloaded were not
> deleted from the server (although the server settings were set to delete
> the mail after download).
>
> I switched to my Linux system and used fetchmail.  The download was
> smooth and efficient.  I can use mutt to read the email.  Now I have
> copied the mbox from /var/spool/mail directory to my Windows box, to
> import into Mozilla.  This is where I am lost.  The import feature only
> gives the option to import from Netscape, Outlook and Outlook Express.
> How do I import email from the Linux mbox into Mozilla Mail client in
> Windows?  (I have tried Thunderbird but had the same issues as above.)
>
> Thank you in advance for any help.

I think you have gone about this in a confabulated way, but you should
be able to make a _COPY_ (just in case) of your saved .mbx file you
retrieved using Linux, and;

* Place it into your <Profile>/Mail/Local Folders Dir
* Rename it - without any file extension

Open Mozilla Mail and navigate to "Local Folders" - you should be able
to view the mail - and perhaps can now merge/copy over into your INBOX
or wherever you like

http://www.mozilla.org/docs/end-user/guide/get-started.html#oh-yeah

To import mail from a mail client other than those mentioned above:

	From your old mail client, export your mail in standard Unix mail box
(.mbx) format. After the file is saved, remove the file extension if
there is any; for example, if the filename is [oldmail.mbx], change it
to [oldmail] .

	The filename of the exported file must not have any special character
such as / or #.

	Close Mozilla if you have it running.

	Copy the mail box file to the mail/Local Folders directory in your
profile directory (see XXX).

Your old mail should now be accessible from your Local Folders account
in Mozilla Mail & Newsgroups.

and http://www.mozilla.org/start/1.5/faq/mail-news.html#import
read the export section and do the reverse

iforone wrote:
> Subba Rao wrote:

<<SNIP>>

> I think you have gone about this in a confabulated way, but you should
> be able to make a _COPY_ (just in case) of your saved .mbx file you
> retrieved using Linux, and;
>
> * Place it into your <Profile>/Mail/Local Folders Dir
> * Rename it - without any file extension
>
> Open Mozilla Mail and navigate to "Local Folders" - you should be able
> to view the mail - and perhaps can now merge/copy over into your INBOX
> or wherever you like

<SNIP>

Thank you very much!  This worked.  :-)