f



Is this a BIOS problem, a kernel problem or a user problem :-)

Hi all,

I have a Dual Core P4, which dmesg reports as

(CPU0 and) CPU1: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 5 CPU 2.66GHz stepping 07

Unfortunately, it is also reporting

CPU: Hyper-Threading is disabled


I went through the BIOS (AMI dated 2005) and saw no option to enable
HT.

uname -a reports

Linux hwa3 2.6.17-10-generic #2 SMP Fri Oct 13 18:45:35 UTC 2006 i686
GNU/Linux


so clearly the BIOS and the kernel see the processor as dual core.  Is
there a utility to do this (enable hyperthreading)?  Am I going to have
to recompile the kernel?  Is there a set of Intel dual core CPU's which
does not have HT enabled?  Enquiring minds want to know :-)

TIA -

Kind regards,
jh

0
jared10 (49)
11/16/2006 4:36:03 AM
comp.os.linux.misc 33599 articles. 1 followers. amosa69 (78) is leader. Post Follow

9 Replies
1825 Views

Similar Articles

[PageSpeed] 31

jared wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have a Dual Core P4, which dmesg reports as
>
> (CPU0 and) CPU1: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 5 CPU 2.66GHz stepping 07
>
> Unfortunately, it is also reporting
>
> CPU: Hyper-Threading is disabled
>
>
> I went through the BIOS (AMI dated 2005) and saw no option to enable
> HT.
>
> uname -a reports
>
> Linux hwa3 2.6.17-10-generic #2 SMP Fri Oct 13 18:45:35 UTC 2006 i686
> GNU/Linux
>
>
> so clearly the BIOS and the kernel see the processor as dual core.  Is
> there a utility to do this (enable hyperthreading)?  Am I going to have
> to recompile the kernel?  Is there a set of Intel dual core CPU's which
> does not have HT enabled?  Enquiring minds want to know :-)
>
> TIA -
>
> Kind regards,
> jh
>
>   

According to Intel's web site the Pentium D's (a/k/a Pentium 4 - the 
one's before the Core series) don't have HyperThreading.  See 
http://www.intel.com/products/processor/pentium_d/specs.htm
0
Mike
11/16/2006 4:57:19 AM
jared wrote:

> Is there a set of Intel dual core CPU's
> which does not have HT enabled?

Yes, most of them except Pentium Extreme Edition models 840, 955 and
965, and Xeon 50xx and 7xxx models.

-- 
        Markku Kolkka
        markku.kolkka@iki.fi


0
11/16/2006 11:40:27 AM
jared wrote:

> Hi all,
> 
> I have a Dual Core P4

No you don't, there is no such thing. You either have a Pentium D or a
Pentium Extreme.

> , which dmesg reports as 
> 
> (CPU0 and) CPU1: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 5 CPU 2.66GHz stepping 07

The 2.66GHz suggests to me that you have a Pentium D 805.

> Unfortunately, it is also reporting
> 
> CPU: Hyper-Threading is disabled
> 

Indeed. No dual core cpu currently supports HT.
0
ithinkiam (732)
11/16/2006 2:12:16 PM
In comp.os.linux.misc Chris <ithinkiam@gmail.com> wrote:

: Indeed. No dual core cpu currently supports HT.

By an existence proof, I would suggest that you are in error.

( I'm typing this message in on a dual dual-core hyperthreaded
  3.2 GHz machine. )

regards

Stan 
-- 
Stan Bischof ("stan" at the below domain)
www.worldbadminton.com 
0
stan38 (496)
11/16/2006 3:55:19 PM
Chris wrote:
> jared wrote:

>> CPU: Hyper-Threading is disabled
>>
> 
> Indeed. No dual core cpu currently supports HT.

Hopefully none will, as HT is just intels experiment to move from single core 
to dual core, so using HT is a step backward.


  //Aho
0
J
11/16/2006 4:10:08 PM
Chris wrote:
> jared wrote:
> 
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I have a Dual Core P4
> 
> No you don't, there is no such thing. You either have a Pentium D or a
> Pentium Extreme.
> 
>> , which dmesg reports as 
>>
>> (CPU0 and) CPU1: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 5 CPU 2.66GHz stepping 07
> 
> The 2.66GHz suggests to me that you have a Pentium D 805.
> 
>> Unfortunately, it is also reporting
>>
>> CPU: Hyper-Threading is disabled
>>
> 
> Indeed. No dual core cpu currently supports HT.

You might be interested in viewing
http://www.intel.com/products/processor/pentiumXE/index.htm

Intel has at least three chips out with dual-core ht.

Doug
0
Douglas
11/16/2006 4:38:26 PM
"Chris" <ithinkiam@gmail.com> wrote in message 
news:ejhrjr$1nh$1@dux.dundee.ac.uk...
> No dual core cpu currently supports HT.

    Doesn't the Pentium Extreme Edition support it?

http://www.hardwareanalysis.com/content/article/1797/
<quote>
This first Intel dual core processor is essentially two Prescott dies 
grafted together. Each core has its own, separate 1 MB L2 cache, while the 
two cores share an interface to the front side bus. Intel will offer two 
product lines, the Pentium Extreme Edition and the Pentium D. The former has 
HyperThreading capability, giving it four logical cores, while the latter 
does not.
</quote>

    - Oliver 


0
Oliver
11/16/2006 4:55:58 PM
I looked it up and confirm that I do indeed have a Pentium D.  Thank
you one and all!

0
jared
11/16/2006 9:53:35 PM
stan@worldbadminton.com wrote:

> In comp.os.linux.misc Chris <ithinkiam@gmail.com> wrote:
> 
> : Indeed. No dual core cpu currently supports HT.
> 
> By an existence proof, I would suggest that you are in error.
> 
> ( I'm typing this message in on a dual dual-core hyperthreaded
>   3.2 GHz machine. )
> 

Apologies. I'd forgotten about the Xeons <slaps head>
0
ithinkiam (732)
11/17/2006 2:52:36 PM
Reply: