Legacy ap to run on Vista 64 using Cent OS? Is it possible?

I have a legacy ap that will not run on Vista 64. (sorry for
mentioning the dreaded Vista word).   I can use something like VMWare
or MSFT-VM but the customer would need a copy of XP.

I had heard from a programmer friend that the customers could maybe
download CentOS or Wine and they have emulation.

The customer could download one of them and run the legacy application
with either Cent OS or Wine because they have emulation to run Windows
aps built in?  The customer would not need a copy of XP.  Does this
make sense?  I am trying make it simple to download and set up.

I am trying to see if there is a free distributable OS like Cent OS
that could do this. Any help is appreciated, thank you.

On Tue, 17 Mar 2009 17:51:29 -0700 (PDT), franklardino@gmail.com wrote:
 > I have a legacy ap that will not run on Vista 64. (sorry for
 > mentioning the dreaded Vista word).   I can use something like VMWare
 > or MSFT-VM but the customer would need a copy of XP.
 >
 > I had heard from a programmer friend that the customers could maybe
 > download CentOS or Wine and they have emulation.

You'll have to test whether the ap will work with Wine. Or find
its status here:

http://appdb.winehq.org/

Bob T.
0
BobT (1484)
3/18/2009 1:10:13 AM
franklardino@gmail.com wrote:
> I have a legacy ap that will not run on Vista 64. (sorry for
> mentioning the dreaded Vista word).   I can use something like VMWare
> or MSFT-VM but the customer would need a copy of XP.
>
> I had heard from a programmer friend that the customers could maybe
> download CentOS or Wine and they have emulation.
>
> The customer could download one of them and run the legacy application
> with either Cent OS or Wine because they have emulation to run Windows
> aps built in?  The customer would not need a copy of XP.  Does this
> make sense?  I am trying make it simple to download and set up.
>
> I am trying to see if there is a free distributable OS like Cent OS
> that could do this. Any help is appreciated, thank you.

I'm using Fedora 10 and have run some very old win-apps in Wine with no
problems
0
philo (1444)
3/18/2009 1:53:06 AM
On Tue, 17 Mar 2009 17:51:29 -0700 (PDT), franklardino@gmail.com wrote:

>I have a legacy ap that will not run on Vista 64. (sorry for
>mentioning the dreaded Vista word).   I can use something like VMWare
>or MSFT-VM but the customer would need a copy of XP.
>
>I had heard from a programmer friend that the customers could maybe
>download CentOS or Wine and they have emulation.
>
>The customer could download one of them and run the legacy application
>with either Cent OS or Wine because they have emulation to run Windows
>aps built in?

They would have to have both CentOS AND Wine.
CentOS (or another Linux distro) is the OS, Wine is an application
running on CentOS which effectively converts between Windows and Linux.

Not all applications will work this way; if they require access to special
hardware, they will probably not work (though Wine is improving its
capabilities. One application I tried didn't work because it needed a special
driver installed to access a USB security key (dongle).

The solution there was to run Windows as a virtual OS under Linux (using KVM)
but that is back to requiring a licensed copy of Windows.

- Brian
On Tue, 17 Mar 2009 17:51:29 -0700, franklardino wrote:

> I have a legacy ap that will not run on Vista 64. (sorry for mentioning
> the dreaded Vista word).   I can use something like VMWare or MSFT-VM
> but the customer would need a copy of XP.
>
> I had heard from a programmer friend that the customers could maybe
> download CentOS or Wine and they have emulation.
>
> The customer could download one of them and run the legacy application
> with either Cent OS or Wine because they have emulation to run Windows
> aps built in?  The customer would not need a copy of XP.  Does this make
> sense?  I am trying make it simple to download and set up.
>
> I am trying to see if there is a free distributable OS like Cent OS that
> could do this. Any help is appreciated, thank you.

Your best bet would be to buy a copy of XP and run that in a VM, you
could try WINE but there is no guarantee that it will work. An OEM copy
of XP Home is $90 on NewEgg, it doesn't make sense to spend lot of time
trying to find to find an alternate solution when you know that XP in a
VM will do the job.
0
schvantzkoph (1943)
3/18/2009 1:23:25 PM
On Mar 18, 8:23=A0am, General Schvantzkoph <schvantzk...@yahoo.com>
wrote:
> On Tue, 17 Mar 2009 17:51:29 -0700, franklardino wrote:
> > I have a legacy ap that will not run on Vista 64. (sorry for mentioning
> > the dreaded Vista word). =A0 I can use something like VMWare or MSFT-VM
> > but the customer would need a copy of XP.
>
> > I had heard from a programmer friend that the customers could maybe
> > download CentOS orWineand they have emulation.
>
> > The customer could download one of them and run the legacy application
> > with eitherCentOSorWinebecause they have emulation to run Windows
> > aps built in? =A0The customer would not need a copy of XP. =A0Does this=
 make
> > sense? =A0I am trying make it simple to download and set up.
>
> > I am trying to see if there is a free distributableOSlikeCentOSthat
> > could do this. Any help is appreciated, thank you.
>
> Your best bet would be to buy a copy of XP and run that in a VM, you
> could tryWINEbut there is no guarantee that it will work. An OEM copy
> of XP Home is $90 on NewEgg, it doesn't make sense to spend lot of time
> trying to find to find an alternate solution when you know that XP in a
> VM will do the job.

Anyone know anything about ReactOS?  It is supposedly a free OS that
is not LINUX but a XP clone?  The problem is getting clients to buy a
copy of XP would be a hassle.  Thanks for any suggestions.

http://www.reactos.org/en/index.html
On Fri, 20 Mar 2009 13:23:23 -0700, franklardino wrote:

If they are so dead set against buying a copy of XP then they should be
looking for a replacement for the application that needs it. You refer to
them as a client which implies that they are paying you, your time is
going to cost them way more than the $90 that XP Home costs. They don't
need a more expensive copy of XP because the host OS does most of the
work. A Windows VM is by far the most reliable way to run a Windows
application, better than running native Windows in my opinion. I mostly
use a Win2K VM on Fedora to run the few things that I need Windows for. I
also have an XP VM which I use when I need to run a Windows app that
isn't 2K compatible. WINE is the only other possibility but it not nearly
as robust a solution as a VM. The only way for you to find out if it will
do the job is to try it, if it works for you then fine. A clone of XP has
no chance of working, I wouldn't bother even looking at it. The WINE guys
have spent 15 years on it and it's still a toy, there is no way that
anyone can possibly clone all of XP, I don't think that MS could do it
and they have the documentation, a small group of people with no access
to the specs has no chance.
0
schvantzkoph (1943)
3/20/2009 9:25:24 PM
On Mar 20, 4:25=A0pm, General Schvantzkoph <schvantzk...@yahoo.com>
wrote:
> On Fri, 20 Mar 2009 13:23:23 -0700, franklardino wrote:
>
> If they are so dead set against buying a copy of XP then they should be
> looking for a replacement for the application that needs it. You refer to
> them as a client which implies that they are paying you, your time is
> going to cost them way more than the $90 that XP Home costs. They don't
> need a more expensive copy of XP because the hostOSdoes most of the
> work. A Windows VM is by far the most reliable way to run a Windows
> application, better than running native Windows in my opinion. I mostly
> use a Win2K VM on Fedora to run the few things that I need Windows for. I
> also have an XP VM which I use when I need to run a Windows app that
> isn't 2K compatible. WINE is the only other possibility but it not nearly
> as robust a solution as a VM. The only way for you to find out if it will
> do the job is to try it, if it works for you then fine. A clone of XP has
> no chance of working, I wouldn't bother even looking at it. The WINE guys
> have spent 15 years on it and it's still a toy, there is no way that
> anyone can possibly clone all of XP, I don't think that MS could do it
> and they have the documentation, a small group of people with no access
> to the specs has no chance.

Thanks for the detailed and thoughtful response.  ;-)
On Mon, 23 Mar 2009 09:44:55 -0700, franklardino wrote:

> On Mar 20, 4:25 pm, General Schvantzkoph <schvantzk...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>> On Fri, 20 Mar 2009 13:23:23 -0700, franklardino wrote:
>>
>> If they are so dead set against buying a copy of XP then they should be
>> looking for a replacement for the application that needs it. You refer
>> to them as a client which implies that they are paying you, your time
>> is going to cost them way more than the $90 that XP Home costs. They
>> don't need a more expensive copy of XP because the hostOSdoes most of
>> the work. A Windows VM is by far the most reliable way to run a Windows
>> application, better than running native Windows in my opinion. I mostly
>> use a Win2K VM on Fedora to run the few things that I need Windows for.
>> I also have an XP VM which I use when I need to run a Windows app that
>> isn't 2K compatible. WINE is the only other possibility but it not
>> nearly as robust a solution as a VM. The only way for you to find out
>> if it will do the job is to try it, if it works for you then fine. A
>> clone of XP has no chance of working, I wouldn't bother even looking at
>> it. The WINE guys have spent 15 years on it and it's still a toy, there
>> is no way that anyone can possibly clone all of XP, I don't think that
>> MS could do it and they have the documentation, a small group of people
>> with no access to the specs has no chance.
>
> Thanks for the detailed and thoughtful response.  ;-)

BTW, VMware has a utility that will convert a real Windows environment
into a VM which you could then run under VMware on Linux or VMware on
Vista. You could virtualize the machine they are currently using for the
legacy app and run that on the new machine.
0
schvantzkoph (1943)
3/23/2009 8:31:11 PM
franklardino@gmail.com wrote:
> The customer could download one of them and run the legacy application
> with either Cent OS or Wine because they have emulation to run Windows
> aps built in?  The customer would not need a copy of XP.

A lot of stuff can run under Wine these days, and the compatibility
layer is improving all the time.

What application is it?

Mark.

--