Linux Hard Drive Question

Hi All,

I am running Red Hat 9.0.  I have 2 250GB drives in my box.  I use
Ghost 8.0 to image the drive each week to back it up.  So, onec drive
is actually the backup drive only....

At any rate, a few weeks ago I tried imaging the drive and I received
some "Read Sector Error" on a specific directory.   Ghost asks me if I
want to output the error to A:GHOSTERR.TXT.  when I try and do that, I
receive the error "Cannot Open GHOSTERR.TXT".

I am wondering if I have a bad spot on my disk.  And if so, is Linux
like Windows where it can mark a spot bad and just not use it?  Or, do
I have to throw the entire drive away just because I have one bad
block?

I am really not very good with Linux, so, any help is appreciated.

Thanks,

Arthur

0
amerar (465)

amerar@iwc.net wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I am running Red Hat 9.0.  I have 2 250GB drives in my box.  I use
> Ghost 8.0 to image the drive each week to back it up.  So, onec drive
> is actually the backup drive only....

That's linux. For your purpose, you would not need ghost. You could even
setup a "live" mirroring with software raid-1 making it easy to  recover
from a bad disk. Though a "offline mirror" has some advantages too.
Read "man dd" as a really simple example.

> At any rate, a few weeks ago I tried imaging the drive and I received
> some "Read Sector Error" on a specific directory.   Ghost asks me if I
> want to output the error to A:GHOSTERR.TXT.  when I try and do that, I
> receive the error "Cannot Open GHOSTERR.TXT".

Well, "A:" ... you would have to insert a floppy then :).
There are some switches to ghost which let it resume after unreadable
sectors. Call ghost from a commandline, with /? or --help or whatever gives
you an answer.

> I am wondering if I have a bad spot on my disk.  And if so, is Linux
> like Windows where it can mark a spot bad and just not use it?  Or, do
> I have to throw the entire drive away just because I have one bad
> block?

Recent (for sure your 250G) drives already have some part of  the disk
reserved for "spare sectors" to substitute bad ones. That redirection is
transparent to the OS, unless all spare sectors are already used up - but
at that time the drive probably already has failed completely. Such a
redirection, however, is only possible when the controller discovers
difficulty to _write_ to a distinct sector.
Sectors you never write to, just read, may become "weak" over time. You
should, from time to time, swap the work with the image disk.
�to�remove�offending�incompatible�products.��Reactivate�MS�software.
Linux woodpecker.homnet.at 2.6.10-mm1[LinuxCounter#295241,ICQ#4918962]