Linux install without a CD drive

Hello,

        I'm looking for a way to install linux to an old laptop.
Unfortunately the CD drive in the laptop no linger works and is cost
prohibitive to repair/replace. I do have a CD drive connected via USB
but the system won't boot from it. Any ideas, possibly boot from a
floppy and then continue install from CD's.

Thanks in Advance
Steve
0
samckain (7)

Steve <samckain@home.net> writes:

>Hello,

>        I'm looking for a way to install linux to an old laptop.
>Unfortunately the CD drive in the laptop no linger works and is cost
>prohibitive to repair/replace. I do have a CD drive connected via USB
>but the system won't boot from it. Any ideas, possibly boot from a
>floppy and then continue install from CD's.

>Thanks in Advance
>Steve

This has been answered.
Yes, most distributions have a floppy installation option.
In mandrake/mandriva, write the file install/images/cdrom.img to a floppy, and boot
from that. Then it will read from your cdrom, and install.
You can use dos/windows to write the image (rawrite.exe) or linux (dd)

Other distros have similar stuff.

0
unruh-spam (2990)
7/2/2006 4:04:32 PM
Steve wrote:
> Hello,
>
>         I'm looking for a way to install linux to an old laptop.
> Unfortunately the CD drive in the laptop no linger works and is cost
> prohibitive to repair/replace. I do have a CD drive connected via USB
> but the system won't boot from it. Any ideas, possibly boot from a
> floppy and then continue install from CD's.

It is impossible to fit the usb subsystem into a floppy. The best way
is to install the drive on a desktop and move it to the laptop.  The
following device (with upto 8G CF or microdrive)  works on both desktop
and laptop.  It comes with linux/kde/firefox preloaded on 1G or 2G CF,
without any installation at all.

http://cfd.linnix.com/laptop.html

> Thanks in Advance
> Steve

0
me5463 (1321)
7/2/2006 4:28:33 PM
On 2006-07-02, linnix <me@linnix.info-for.us> wrote:

>> I'm looking for a way to install linux to an old laptop.
>> Unfortunately the CD drive in the laptop no linger works and
>> is cost prohibitive to repair/replace. I do have a CD drive
>> connected via USB but the system won't boot from it. Any
>> ideas, possibly boot from a floppy and then continue install
>> from CD's.
>
> It is impossible to fit the usb subsystem into a floppy. The best way
> is to install the drive on a desktop and move it to the laptop.

It's probably easier to do a network install.  The last time I
did it was with RedHat, but I assume other distros allow
something similar:

  1) Mount the CD on a machine somewhere that provides FTP,
     HTTP, or NFS access.

  2) Boot the laptop from a floppy (or two), and point the
     installer at the server where the CD is.

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  Are you mentally here
                                  at               at Pizza Hut??
In comp.os.linux.misc Unruh <unruh-spam@physics.ubc.ca>:
> Steve <samckain@home.net> writes:

[ Installing Linux without CD-ROM ]

> This has been answered.

At least once a week...

> Yes, most distributions have a floppy installation option.
> In mandrake/mandriva, write the file install/images/cdrom.img to a floppy, and boot
> from that. Then it will read from your cdrom, and install.
> You can use dos/windows to write the image (rawrite.exe) or linux (dd)

> Other distros have similar stuff.

Debian, which I'd suggest for performance reasons anyway on
old/slow hardware, can be installed with one/two floppy
completely through the internet, a working dhcp server pointing
to default gateway and alike should ease up things.

http://www.debian.org/distrib/netinst

Just in case, if it seems to hard finding the documentation how
to go about such a network installation.

#bofh excuse 242: Software uses US measurements, but the OS
is in metric...
0
USENET22 (5551)
7/2/2006 5:27:58 PM
This is a MIME GnuPG-signed message.  If you see this text, it means that
your E-mail or Usenet software does not support MIME signed messages.
The Internet standard for MIME PGP messages, RFC 2015, was published in 1996.
To open this message correctly you will need to install E-mail or Usenet
software that supports modern Internet standards.

--=_mimegpg-commodore.email-scan.com-4429-1151861539-0002

Steve writes:

> Hello,
>
>         I'm looking for a way to install linux to an old laptop.
> Unfortunately the CD drive in the laptop no linger works and is cost
> prohibitive to repair/replace. I do have a CD drive connected via USB
> but the system won't boot from it. Any ideas, possibly boot from a
> floppy and then continue install from CD's.

Presuming that you want to install Fedora, the last Fedora release that
supported booting the installer off a floppy was FC1, and I'm not sure if
FC1 supported USB CDRoms.  If the laptop has a network port, though, you can
do a network install.

Grab the three FC1 CD images, and copy them onto a machine running Apache.
Extract all three CDs into the same directory, somewhere in /var/www/html,
where Apache finds it.

The floppy images are in /images.  You should only copy bootdisk.img onto a
floppy.  You may also need to have drvnet.img handy if the laptop's network
card needs a driver off drvnet.img.

Presuming that you can boot off a floppy, and your laptop's network card is
supported, you can then proceed to do an HTTP install, and get a minimal FC1
set up.

Once FC1 is installed, you can go and grab FC5, and use grub to boot FC5's
installer.  Copy FC5's CD/DVD images over to another machine with Apache,
then copy vmlinuz and initrd.img files from FC5 CD/DVD's /images/pxeboot to
the laptop's /boot, and set them up in grub as if it was just an ordinary
Linux boot kernel/initrd.  Boot that, and upgrade FC1 to FC5.

--=_mimegpg-commodore.email-scan.com-4429-1151861539-0002

--=_mimegpg-commodore.email-scan.com-4429-1151861539-0002--
0
sam217 (1634)
7/2/2006 5:32:20 PM
Grant Edwards wrote:

> On 2006-07-02, linnix <me@linnix.info-for.us> wrote:
>
>>> I'm looking for a way to install linux to an old laptop.
>>> Unfortunately the CD drive in the laptop no linger works and
>>> is cost prohibitive to repair/replace. I do have a CD drive
>>> connected via USB but the system won't boot from it. Any
>>> ideas, possibly boot from a floppy and then continue install
>>> from CD's.
>>
>> It is impossible to fit the usb subsystem into a floppy. The best
>> way is to install the drive on a desktop and move it to the laptop.
>
> It's probably easier to do a network install.  The last time I
> did it was with RedHat, but I assume other distros allow
> something similar:
>
>   1) Mount the CD on a machine somewhere that provides FTP,
>      HTTP, or NFS access.
>
>   2) Boot the laptop from a floppy (or two), and point the
>      installer at the server where the CD is.

Thank you all for your assistance.

Steve
0
samckain (7)
7/2/2006 11:11:40 PM
"Steve" <samckain@home.net> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
>         I'm looking for a way to install linux to an old laptop.
> Unfortunately the CD drive in the laptop no linger works and is cost
> prohibitive to repair/replace. I do have a CD drive connected via USB
> but the system won't boot from it. Any ideas, possibly boot from a
> floppy and then continue install from CD's.
>
> Thanks in Advance
> Steve

Hi Steve,

Please in the future would you post laptop brand/model and anything
else connected to the system and specs such as ram and hd sizes.
The recommendations of doing a net install are useless if the laptop
has no networking connection which is unknown from your op.

later,
charles....

0
shultzjrX (85)