Logrotate "rotate" vs "maxage" Setting

Can someone tell me what the difference is between these 2 settings?  The
seem to be saying the same thing.

I use rotate 7 on my logs, but the old rotated logs don't go away after 7
days.   Maybe I need to use maxage.

I use SuSE 8.2  This is my syslog settings file.

/var/log/warn /var/log/messages /var/log/allmessages /var/log/localmessages
/var/log/firewall {
    dateext
    missingok
    rotate 7
    daily
    notifempty
    create 640 root root
    sharedscripts
    postrotate
        /etc/init.d/syslog reload
    endscript
}

 maxage count
              Remove rotated logs older than <count> days. The age is only
checked if the logfile is to be rotated. The files are mailed to the
configured
              address if maillast and mail are configured.

  rotate count
              Log files are rotated <count> times before being removed or
mailed to the address specified in a mail directive. If count is 0, old
versions
              are removed rather then rotated.

0
jc_va (297)