migrating linux to linux, different hardware

hi all. We're planning to migrate several linux servers, with applications
installed (like oracle, etc.) , onto another newer hardware, which I am to
install linux (preferably an updated distro version) as well.

I'm a bit of newbie, but what I imagine is that instead of installing on the
new machines from scratch -- OS plus apps plus accompanying data -- which
would take too much time, can I install an updated version of linux distro
first, and then after that, just copy all the directories in the original
box that are not dependent on the OS (such as /var, /home, /etc, /usr, ...)?

What are some of the solutions (in Suse and Redhat) that are available? I
was also googling, but are there recommended web sites that you know of
regard to this task?

any info I appreciate!
joe

0
nospam21 (19047)

joe haydn wrote:
> hi all. We're planning to migrate several linux servers, with applications
> installed (like oracle, etc.) , onto another newer hardware, which I am to
> install linux (preferably an updated distro version) as well.
>
> I'm a bit of newbie, but what I imagine is that instead of installing on the
> new machines from scratch -- OS plus apps plus accompanying data -- which
> would take too much time, can I install an updated version of linux distro
> first, and then after that, just copy all the directories in the original
> box that are not dependent on the OS (such as /var, /home, /etc, /usr, ...)?
>
> What are some of the solutions (in Suse and Redhat) that are available? I
> was also googling, but are there recommended web sites that you know of
> regard to this task?
>
> any info I appreciate!
> joe

just an idea: recently when i upgraded my workstation, i transfered linux from the old to the new simply by copying the whole hard disk on the new one with a "cp -a" the -a option preserves dates, ownerships, rights, and also recurses and doesn't resolve links.
i had 3 partitions with which to fo that: /boot, / and /home.
After that it was just a matter of setting up the boot manager (it was grub for me: create a grub disk, boot with it then install grub on the hard disk, but of course, it depends on what you want)
Of course i had to reconfigure a few things after the first boot, like setting another hostname, ip, and perhaps some modules configuration for the sound and the like
0
nospam21 (19047)