Mozilla 1.2.1 vs 1.5

Hi,

I was originally using Mozilla 1.2.1 pre-installed with RH9 during
installation. The chinese character in mozilla interface is smooth and nice.

However, when I installed mozilla 1.5 from the web with chinese
interface, the fonts are not smooth and they are ugly...

How can I set the font in moz 1.5 with the fonts used in moz 1.2.1?

Thanks for your help~~.

0
abc125 (81)

In <bukqlt$quc$1@www.csis.hku.hk>, young_child wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I was originally using Mozilla 1.2.1 pre-installed with RH9 during
> installation. The chinese character in mozilla interface is smooth and
> nice.
>
> However, when I installed mozilla 1.5 from the web with chinese
> interface, the fonts are not smooth and they are ugly...
>
> How can I set the font in moz 1.5 with the fonts used in moz 1.2.1?
>
> Thanks for your help~~.

The tar.gz distribution from the mozilla web site don't have xft
support, so they don't support font anti-aliasing and the fonts don't look
very nice.  You probably need RPM packages specifically for your
distribution, or at least that say they are compiled with Xft support.

--
Not to have been a dupe, that will have been my best possesion, my best
deed, to have been a dupe, wishing I wasn't, thinking I wasn't, knowing

On Wed, 21 Jan 2004 11:11:16 +0800, young_child <abc@abc.com> wrote:

> However, when I installed mozilla 1.5 from the web with chinese
> interface, the fonts are not smooth and they are ugly...

In /usr/local/mozilla/defaults/pref/unix.js, check the following settings:

// TrueType
pref("font.FreeType2.enable", true);
pref("font.freetype2.shared-library", "libfreetype.so.6");

pref("font.FreeType2.autohinted", false);
pref("font.FreeType2.unhinted", false);

pref("font.directory.truetype.1", "/usr/share/fonts/truetype");

You may need to adjust the last one to reflect the proper path for your
system.  You should be able to just copy the settings from the unix.js
that Red Hat installed.

--
 -| Bob Hauck
 -| To Whom You Are Speaking