Need Cups-PDF to actually create PDF not Postscript

From: CUPS 127.0.0.1:631
Location: RN
Printer Driver: Generic postscript color printer rev4
Printer State: idle, accepting jobs, published.
Device URI: cups-pdf:/

Hi All,

I am using CentOS 5.5.  I installed cups-pdf-2.4.6-1.el5.i386.rpm
and now have the nicest CUPS to Postscript printer. Okay, I need
that to use with HylaFAX, but I also need a print to PDF (not
Postscript). What did I do wrong?

Many thanks,
-T
0
Todd

On 2010-06-05, Todd <todd@invalid.com> wrote:
> From: CUPS 127.0.0.1:631
> Location: RN
> Printer Driver: Generic postscript color printer rev4
> Printer State: idle, accepting jobs, published.
> Device URI: cups-pdf:/
>
> Hi All,
>
> I am using CentOS 5.5.  I installed cups-pdf-2.4.6-1.el5.i386.rpm
> and now have the nicest CUPS to Postscript printer. Okay, I need
> that to use with HylaFAX, but I also need a print to PDF (not
> Postscript). What did I do wrong?
>
> Many thanks,
> -T

Do you have either of these programs available?:

        ps2pdf
        pstopdf

I used whichever one is on my Mandriva 2010.0 system just the
other day.  I used xpdf on a very large PDF, printed to a
postscript file, and then ran ps2pdf to make a PDF of the single
page I needed to email to someone.

HTH

--
Robert Riches
spamtrap42@verizon.net
On 06/04/2010 09:21 PM, Robert Riches wrote:

>> I am using CentOS 5.5.  I installed cups-pdf-2.4.6-1.el5.i386.rpm
>> and now have the nicest CUPS to Postscript printer. Okay, I need
>> that to use with HylaFAX, but I also need a print to PDF (not

> Do you have either of these programs available?:
>
>          ps2pdf
>          pstopdf

I have ps2pdf.  I was hoping to be able to print directly
to a PDF.

Anyway, I put together the following (use at own risk):

-T

#!/bin/bash
# /home/linuxutil/ConvertPS2PDF

TempDir="/home/temp"

Source="`Xdialog --title "Select Post Script file to convert" --fselect
"$TempDir/*.ps" 40 100   2>&1`"
if [ "$?" != "0" ]; then exit; fi  # "0" = "Cancel"

Target="`echo "$Source" | sed -e "s/.ps$/.pdf/" | sed -e "s/.PS$/.pdf/"`"
if [ -f "$Target" ]; then
    Width="`echo "${#Target} + 46" | bc`"
    Xdialog --yesno "$Target already exists.  Overwrite?" 7 $Width
    if [ $? != "0" ]; then exit; fi  # $?: yes=0; no=1

    if [ -f $Target.bak ]; then
       rm $Target.bak
       mv $Target  $Target.bak
    fi
fi

/usr/bin/ps2pdf $Source $Target
Result=$?

if [ "$Result" != "0" ]; then
    Xdialog --title "$0" --msgbox "$Source failed to convert.  Bummer
man." 0 0
    exit $Result
else
    /usr/bin/acroread $Target &
fi

exit 0

0
Todd
6/5/2010 4:28:51 AM
On 2010-06-05, Todd wrote:

[much snipping]

Just print to a .pdf file and attatch it to your e-mail or
whatever. I don't know why people want .pdf anyway. You can screw
around with it any which way you want with many Linux tools.
--
Bud
0
On 06/05/2010 02:47 PM, Bud wrote:
> On 2010-06-05, Todd wrote:
>
> [much snipping]
>
> Just print to a .pdf file and attatch it to your e-mail or
> whatever. I don't know why people want .pdf anyway. You can screw
> around with it any which way you want with many Linux tools.

Open Office, Firefox, Thunderbird have such utilities, but a lot
of others do not.  None of my Wine applications have Post Script
or PDF.  And, I need Post Script to fax (HylaFAX).

PDF's are also a great way to attach quotes and proposals (and
invoices) to eMail.

-T
0
Todd
6/6/2010 1:22:38 AM
Todd wrote:
> On 06/05/2010 02:47 PM, Bud wrote:
>
>> On 2010-06-05, Todd wrote:
>>
>> [much snipping]
>>
>> Just print to a .pdf file and attatch it to your e-mail or
>> whatever. I don't know why people want .pdf anyway. You can screw
>> around with it any which way you want with many Linux tools.
>

> Open Office, Firefox, Thunderbird have such utilities, but a lot
> of others do not.  None of my Wine applications have Post Script
> or PDF.  And, I need Post Script to fax (HylaFAX).
>
> PDF's are also a great way to attach quotes and proposals (and
> invoices) to eMail.
>
> -T

PDF is the international standard for storing/handling text documents.
It has been so for a couple of years.  Postscript is the language, and
PDF is the format, style, or whatever you like to call it, which PDF
talks as defined in the ISO standard.  Good quality printers are driven
by Postscript internally.  The CUPS server sends Postscript to the
printer, whether you request a text, Postscript itself, PDF, or whatever
type of document to be printed.  It does that via 'filters', which is
just another name for an inline converter.  All text dcuments should now
be exchanged as PDF.  So, if your utility does not generate or process
PDF, get rid of it and get one that does.

Ross
0
Ross
6/6/2010 2:06:36 AM
On 2010-06-06, Todd wrote:

> Open Office, Firefox, Thunderbird have such utilities, but a lot
> of others do not.  None of my Wine applications have Post Script
> or PDF.  And, I need Post Script to fax (HylaFAX).
>
> PDF's are also a great way to attach quotes and proposals (and
> invoices) to eMail.
> -T

You can't print to a .pdf file? It is what I do to those who want
it in .pdf format. Attatch it and be done with it Oh you have the
opportunity to print to .ps too.
--
Bud
0
On 06/05/2010 08:41 PM, Ross Maloney wrote:
> Todd wrote:
>> On 06/05/2010 02:47 PM, Bud wrote:
>>
>>> On 2010-06-05, Todd wrote:
>>>
>>> [much snipping]
>>>
>>> Just print to a .pdf file and attatch it to your e-mail or
>>> whatever. I don't know why people want .pdf anyway. You can screw
>>> around with it any which way you want with many Linux tools.
>>

>> Open Office, Firefox, Thunderbird have such utilities, but a lot
>> of others do not. None of my Wine applications have Post Script
>> or PDF. And, I need Post Script to fax (HylaFAX).
>>
>> PDF's are also a great way to attach quotes and proposals (and
>> invoices) to eMail.
>>
>> -T
>
> PDF is the international standard for storing/handling text documents.
> It has been so for a couple of years. Postscript is the language, and
> PDF is the format, style, or whatever you like to call it, which PDF
> talks as defined in the ISO standard. Good quality printers are driven
> by Postscript internally. The CUPS server sends Postscript to the
> printer, whether you request a text, Postscript itself, PDF, or whatever
> type of document to be printed. It does that via 'filters', which is
> just another name for an inline converter. All text dcuments should now
> be exchanged as PDF. So, if your utility does not generate or process
> PDF, get rid of it and get one that does.
>
> Ross

It would be cool if we all used ODF (Open Document Format), but that is
years away.

-T
0
todd1749 (255)
6/7/2010 5:12:19 AM
> I am using CentOS 5.5. I installed cups-pdf-2.4.6-1.el5.i386.rpm
> and now have the nicest CUPS to Postscript printer. Okay, I need
> that to use with HylaFAX, but I also need a print to PDF (not
> Postscript). What did I do wrong?

https://www.centos.org/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?post_id=109167&topic_id=26588&forum=37#forumpost109167

The print dialog you get depends on the desktop environment and the
application from which you are printing. Did you select "Print to File"
check-box? Is so, don't. The CUPS-Pdf printer creates a PDF file on the
desktop with a name of its choosing. Doesn't seem to be any option to
pick the name. Picking "Print to File" always seems to create a
Postscript file. That can be converted to PDF with ps2pdf from ghostscript.
0
Todd