Network configuration problem.

I have a print server and two PCs networked via hardwire through a
router.  These devices are assigned static IPs 192.168.1.10, 11,
and 12 respectively and had been running successfully for several
years.

One of the PCs (192.168.1.11), running Red Hat 9, experienced an AC
power failure which apparently damaged some files in the root ext2
partition.  After a session with fsck I am able to boot up this
system.  Most everything appears normal except I can not connect to
the printer or internet with this PC.

The Network Configuration Tool shows that device eth0 is inactive.
However attempting to activate this device yields  the message:
"Error, some other host already uses address 192.168.1.11".

How can I find out where this "phantom host" configuration is
located and delete it.

Thanks for your help.

Regards,
Charles Sullivan

0
cwsulliv (211)
3/31/2007 1:10:27 AM
comp.os.linux.misc 33599 articles. 0 followers. amosa69 (78) is leader. Post Follow

On Fri, 30 Mar 2007 21:10:27 -0400, Charles Sullivan
  <cwsulliv@triad.rr.com> wrote:

> I have a print server and two PCs networked via hardwire through a
> router.  These devices are assigned static IPs 192.168.1.10, 11,
> and 12 respectively and had been running successfully for several
> years.
>
> One of the PCs (192.168.1.11), running Red Hat 9, experienced an AC
> power failure which apparently damaged some files in the root ext2
> partition.  After a session with fsck I am able to boot up this
> system.  Most everything appears normal except I can not connect to
> the printer or internet with this PC.
>
> The Network Configuration Tool shows that device eth0 is inactive.
> However attempting to activate this device yields  the message:
> "Error, some other host already uses address 192.168.1.11".
>
> How can I find out where this "phantom host" configuration is
> located and delete it.
>
> Thanks for your help.

arp

--
"Spock, did you see the looks on their faces?"
"Yes, Captain, a sort of vacant contentment."
On Sun, 01 Apr 2007 11:39:48 +0000, Bill Marcum wrote:

> On Fri, 30 Mar 2007 21:10:27 -0400, Charles Sullivan
>   <cwsulliv@triad.rr.com> wrote:
>>

>> I have a print server and two PCs networked via hardwire through a
>> router.  These devices are assigned static IPs 192.168.1.10, 11,
>> and 12 respectively and had been running successfully for several
>> years.
>>
>> One of the PCs (192.168.1.11), running Red Hat 9, experienced an AC
>> power failure which apparently damaged some files in the root ext2
>> partition.  After a session with fsck I am able to boot up this
>> system.  Most everything appears normal except I can not connect to
>> the printer or internet with this PC.
>>
>> The Network Configuration Tool shows that device eth0 is inactive.
>> However attempting to activate this device yields  the message:
>> "Error, some other host already uses address 192.168.1.11".
>>
>> How can I find out where this "phantom host" configuration is
>> located and delete it.
>>
>> Thanks for your help.
>>
> arp

Thanks for the response Bill.  I triad 'arp -a', 'arp -a <hostname>',
'arp -a 192.168.1.11', 'arp -i eth0'.  But in no case is anything
returned.  Anything else I should try?

Regards,
Charles Sullivan

0
cwsulliv (211)
4/1/2007 8:40:47 PM
Charles Sullivan <cwsulliv@triad.rr.com> writes:

>On Sun, 01 Apr 2007 11:39:48 +0000, Bill Marcum wrote:

>> On Fri, 30 Mar 2007 21:10:27 -0400, Charles Sullivan
>>   <cwsulliv@triad.rr.com> wrote:
>>>

>>> I have a print server and two PCs networked via hardwire through a
>>> router.  These devices are assigned static IPs 192.168.1.10, 11,
>>> and 12 respectively and had been running successfully for several
>>> years.
>>>
>>> One of the PCs (192.168.1.11), running Red Hat 9, experienced an AC
>>> power failure which apparently damaged some files in the root ext2
>>> partition.  After a session with fsck I am able to boot up this
>>> system.  Most everything appears normal except I can not connect to
>>> the printer or internet with this PC.

Are you sure it was 11? Check the numbers of your other two computers to
see what their numbers are
(ifconfig -a on both)
Also check what the address of your router is.

Then look in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0 to see what is
there.
Then as root do
ifup eth0

If you still have trouble, change the address in
/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0  and try again.
f you really did cause trouble backup from your backup. Or run
rpm -Va>/tmp/verify
and then look to see if any files are corruped.

>>> The Network Configuration Tool shows that device eth0 is inactive.
>>> However attempting to activate this device yields  the message:
>>> "Error, some other host already uses address 192.168.1.11".
>>>
>>> How can I find out where this "phantom host" configuration is
>>> located and delete it.
>>>
>>> Thanks for your help.
>>>
>> arp

>Thanks for the response Bill.  I triad 'arp -a', 'arp -a <hostname>',
>'arp -a 192.168.1.11', 'arp -i eth0'.  But in no case is anything
>returned.  Anything else I should try?

>Regards,
>Charles Sullivan

0
unruh-spam (2990)
4/1/2007 8:48:28 PM
On Sun, 01 Apr 2007 20:48:28 +0000, Unruh wrote:

> Charles Sullivan <cwsulliv@triad.rr.com> writes:
>
>>On Sun, 01 Apr 2007 11:39:48 +0000, Bill Marcum wrote:

> Are you sure it was 11? Check the numbers of your other two computers to
> see what their numbers are
> (ifconfig -a on both)
> Also check what the address of your router is.
>
> Then look in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0 to see what is
> there.
> Then as root do
> ifup eth0
>
> If you still have trouble, change the address in
> /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0  and try again.
> f you really did cause trouble backup from your backup. Or run
> rpm -Va>/tmp/verify
> and then look to see if any files are corruped.

Thanks Unruh.  I've done what you suggested and there's nothing
obvious although I still have to comb through the verify report.

If I change the address to something other than 11, e.g., 13,
everything seems to be working again.  (Change it back to 11 and
the problem recurs.)  I think I'll just leave the address at 13
on this old PC.

Regards,
Charles Sullivan

>>> arp
>
>>Thanks for the response Bill.  I triad 'arp -a', 'arp -a <hostname>',
>>'arp -a 192.168.1.11', 'arp -i eth0'.  But in no case is anything
>>returned.  Anything else I should try?
>
>>Regards,
>>Charles Sullivan

0