f



New Skype 4.1 Alpha released for linux.

I just read that a new trial version of Skype has been released. It is
not fit yet though.

http://www.speedateauction.com/blog/blog_detail.asp?blog_id=74315&user_id=1356

0
5/6/2007 11:12:29 PM
comp.os.linux.misc 33599 articles. 1 followers. amosa69 (78) is leader. Post Follow

9 Replies
9533 Views

Similar Articles

[PageSpeed] 38

pickylee123 <fekadumamo@yahoo.com>

>  just read that a new trial version of Skype has been released. It is
> not fit yet though.

So you can read, that's great, you twit.

Bob
0
676
5/7/2007 12:07:50 AM
676@7i6786.o9798 wrote:

> pickylee123 <fekadumamo@yahoo.com>
> 
>>  just read that a new trial version of Skype has been released. It is
>> not fit yet though.
> 
> So you can read, that's great, you twit.
> 
> Bob

You twit Bob has learned to type?

0
5/7/2007 10:51:17 AM
__/ [ 7 ] on Monday 07 May 2007 11:51 \__

> 676@7i6786.o9798 wrote:
> 
>> pickylee123 <fekadumamo@yahoo.com>
>> 
>>>  just read that a new trial version of Skype has been released. It is
>>> not fit yet though.
>> 
>> So you can read, that's great, you twit.
>> 
>> Bob
> 
> You twit Bob has learned to type?
 
It is 1.4, not 4.1 (and it's rubbish
http://www.voipnews.com.au/content/view/1519/159/ ). While the company
treats GNU/Linux as a second-class citizen, other programs are worth
considering. Even Nero has recently learned its lesson and brought its Linux
port to the point of Win32 feature parity.

-- 
                ~~ Best regards

Roy S. Schestowitz      | One, Two, Free Open Source Software (FOSS)
http://Schestowitz.com  |  RHAT GNU/Linux   �     PGP-Key: 0x74572E8E
         run-level 5  Apr 28 15:45                   last=S  
      http://iuron.com - help build a non-profit search engine


0
newsgroups3 (79677)
5/7/2007 11:49:06 AM
Roy Schestowitz wrote:

> __/ [ 7 ] on Monday 07 May 2007 11:51 \__
> 
>> 676@7i6786.o9798 wrote:
>> 
>>> pickylee123 <fekadumamo@yahoo.com>
>>> 
>>>>  just read that a new trial version of Skype has been released. It is
>>>> not fit yet though.
>>> 
>>> So you can read, that's great, you twit.
>>> 
>>> Bob
>> 
>> You twit Bob has learned to type?
>  
> It is 1.4, not 4.1 (and it's rubbish
> http://www.voipnews.com.au/content/view/1519/159/ ). While the company
> treats GNU/Linux as a second-class citizen, other programs are worth
> considering. Even Nero has recently learned its lesson and brought its
> Linux port to the point of Win32 feature parity.


No doubt about that at all. What's more, they will soon find out
their Linux releases can be modified and new features added quicker,
and released more frequently, and that they get less tech support issues
than with windopz products. While the windopz product development teams
borrow ever more time and resources to produce ever fewer
features. Then eventually their dumb management is going to have to
look at holding back the Linux release so that their
windummy versions can catch up.


0
5/7/2007 2:10:55 PM
On May 7, 7:49=C2=A0am, Roy Schestowitz <newsgro...@schestowitz.com> wrote:
> __/ [ 7 ] on Monday 07 May 2007 11:51 \__
>
> > 6...@7i6786.o9798 wrote:
>
> >> pickylee123 <fekadum...@yahoo.com>
>
> >>> =C2=A0just read that a new trial version of Skype has been released. =
It is
> >>> not fit yet though.
>
> >> So you can read, that's great, you twit.
>
> >> Bob
>
> > You twit Bob has learned to type?
>
> It is 1.4, not 4.1 (and it's rubbishhttp://www.voipnews.com.au/content/vi=
ew/1519/159/). While the company
> treats GNU/Linux as a second-class citizen, other programs are worth
> considering.



> Even Nero has recently learned its lesson and brought its Linux
> port to the point of Win32 feature parity.

They have? Perhaps you ought to let Nero know this because they seem
to think otherwise.

Their Linux product "NeroLinux" appears to be a stripped down version
of Nero Burning ROM that's available for Windows. Looking at it's
features I don't see anything that k3b doesn't already do.

   http://www.nero.com/eng/NeroLINUX_What_is_NeroLINUX.html


Buy you think this stripped down product has feature parity with their
Win32 product which ships with the following apps:

(The Linux offering is about 1/3rd of the way down the list - "Nero
Burning ROM 7" except that all of the advanced features are missing in
the Linux version.)

 Nero Mobile =E2=80=93 Media Center for Mobile Devices
 Nero Home =E2=80=93 Media Management System
 Nero Sipps - Free VoIP Telephony
 Nero Scout =E2=80=93 Database Technology
 Nero Search =E2=80=93 Quick and Easy Information Finder
 Nero StartSmart 3 =E2=80=93 One-Click Project Launcher
 Nero Burning ROM 7 =E2=80=93 Expert CD and DVD Burning
 Nero Express 7 =E2=80=93 Easy Interface CD and DVD Burning
 Nero WaveEditor 3 =E2=80=93 Audio Editing and Recording
 Nero SoundTrax 2 =E2=80=93 Professional Audio Mixing
 Nero SoundBox =E2=80=93 Beat Builder
 Nero Vision 4 =E2=80=93 Video Editing and Authoring
 Nero Recode 2 =E2=80=93 The World=E2=80=99s Fastest Video Converter
 Nero ShowTime 3 =E2=80=93 DVD and Multimedia Player
 Nero MediaHome =E2=80=93 UPnP=E2=84=A2 Streaming Solution
 Nero PhotoSnap =E2=80=93 Photo Editing
 Nero CoverDesigner 2 =E2=80=93 CD and DVD Label Design
 Nero ToolKit =E2=80=93 CD and DVD Utility Suite
 Nero BackItUp 2 =E2=80=93 The Complete Backup Solution
 InCD 5 =E2=80=93 Packet Writing Solution
 Nero ImageDrive =E2=80=93 Virtual Drive Setup





0
lqualig (4343)
5/7/2007 2:24:43 PM
On Mon, 07 May 2007 07:24:43 -0700, Larry Qualig wrote:

> On May 7, 7:49�am, Roy Schestowitz <newsgro...@schestowitz.com> wrote:
>> __/ [ 7 ] on Monday 07 May 2007 11:51 \__
>>
>> > 6...@7i6786.o9798 wrote:
>>
>> >> pickylee123 <fekadum...@yahoo.com>
>>
>> >>> �just read that a new trial version of Skype has been released. It is
>> >>> not fit yet though.
>>
>> >> So you can read, that's great, you twit.
>>
>> >> Bob
>>
>> > You twit Bob has learned to type?
>>
>> It is 1.4, not 4.1 (and it's rubbishhttp://www.voipnews.com.au/content/view/1519/159/). While the company
>> treats GNU/Linux as a second-class citizen, other programs are worth
>> considering.
> 
> 
> 
>> Even Nero has recently learned its lesson and brought its Linux
>> port to the point of Win32 feature parity.
> 
> They have? Perhaps you ought to let Nero know this because they seem
> to think otherwise.
> 
> Their Linux product "NeroLinux" appears to be a stripped down version
> of Nero Burning ROM that's available for Windows. Looking at it's
> features I don't see anything that k3b doesn't already do.
> 
>    http://www.nero.com/eng/NeroLINUX_What_is_NeroLINUX.html
> 
> 
> Buy you think this stripped down product has feature parity with their
> Win32 product which ships with the following apps:
> 
> (The Linux offering is about 1/3rd of the way down the list - "Nero
> Burning ROM 7" except that all of the advanced features are missing in
> the Linux version.)
> 

<snip list>

That's probably not a bad thing, leaving out all that stuff. Better just
to concentrate on providing a solid burning app. Though they'll have to go
some way to beat K3b at its own game.

-- 
Kier
0
vallon (8614)
5/7/2007 2:37:31 PM
On May 7, 10:37 am, Kier <val...@tiscali.co.uk> wrote:
> On Mon, 07 May 2007 07:24:43 -0700, Larry Qualig wrote:
> > On May 7, 7:49 am, Roy Schestowitz <newsgro...@schestowitz.com> wrote:
> >> __/ [ 7 ] on Monday 07 May 2007 11:51 \__
>
> >> > 6...@7i6786.o9798 wrote:
>
> >> >> pickylee123 <fekadum...@yahoo.com>
>
> >> >>>  just read that a new trial version of Skype has been released. It is
> >> >>> not fit yet though.
>
> >> >> So you can read, that's great, you twit.
>
> >> >> Bob
>
> >> > You twit Bob has learned to type?
>
> >> It is 1.4, not 4.1 (and it's rubbishhttp://www.voipnews.com.au/content/view/1519/159/). While the company
> >> treats GNU/Linux as a second-class citizen, other programs are worth
> >> considering.
>
> >> Even Nero has recently learned its lesson and brought its Linux
> >> port to the point of Win32 feature parity.
>
> > They have? Perhaps you ought to let Nero know this because they seem
> > to think otherwise.
>
> > Their Linux product "NeroLinux" appears to be a stripped down version
> > of Nero Burning ROM that's available for Windows. Looking at it's
> > features I don't see anything that k3b doesn't already do.
>
> >    http://www.nero.com/eng/NeroLINUX_What_is_NeroLINUX.html
>
> > Buy you think this stripped down product has feature parity with their
> > Win32 product which ships with the following apps:
>
> > (The Linux offering is about 1/3rd of the way down the list - "Nero
> > Burning ROM 7" except that all of the advanced features are missing in
> > the Linux version.)
>
> <snip list>
>
> That's probably not a bad thing, leaving out all that stuff. Better just
> to concentrate on providing a solid burning app. Though they'll have to go
> some way to beat K3b at its own game.


I'm really skeptical as to how many people would buy a Linux version
of the Nero software. I have the Windows version of Nero which came
with my DVD burner and is actually pretty nice. The CD/DVD burning
part is no big deal but the other tools like DVD authoring, mpeg4 re-
encoding, batch audio encoding and etc is what makes the package
useful.

Anyone who runs Linux already has k3b or access to it not to mention
various other CD/DVD burning software. Since NeroLinux appears to
offer nothing more than just basic CD/DVD burning I have a difficult
time seeing any Linux user bothering to purchase it. Perhaps if it
included the other integrated utilities it would be appealing to some
users but in its current form I don't see any scenario why someone
would buy it.


0
lqualig (4343)
5/7/2007 2:55:19 PM
Larry Qualig wrote:

> On May 7, 10:37 am, Kier <val...@tiscali.co.uk> wrote:
>> On Mon, 07 May 2007 07:24:43 -0700, Larry Qualig wrote:
>> > On May 7, 7:49 am, Roy Schestowitz <newsgro...@schestowitz.com> wrote:
>> >> __/ [ 7 ] on Monday 07 May 2007 11:51 \__
>>
>> >> > 6...@7i6786.o9798 wrote:
>>
>> >> >> pickylee123 <fekadum...@yahoo.com>
>>
>> >> >>>  just read that a new trial version of Skype has been released. It
>> >> >>>  is
>> >> >>> not fit yet though.
>>
>> >> >> So you can read, that's great, you twit.
>>
>> >> >> Bob
>>
>> >> > You twit Bob has learned to type?
>>
>> >> It is 1.4, not 4.1 (and it's
>> >> rubbishhttp://www.voipnews.com.au/content/view/1519/159/). While the
>> >> company treats GNU/Linux as a second-class citizen, other programs are
>> >> worth considering.
>>
>> >> Even Nero has recently learned its lesson and brought its Linux
>> >> port to the point of Win32 feature parity.
>>
>> > They have? Perhaps you ought to let Nero know this because they seem
>> > to think otherwise.
>>
>> > Their Linux product "NeroLinux" appears to be a stripped down version
>> > of Nero Burning ROM that's available for Windows. Looking at it's
>> > features I don't see anything that k3b doesn't already do.
>>
>> >    http://www.nero.com/eng/NeroLINUX_What_is_NeroLINUX.html
>>
>> > Buy you think this stripped down product has feature parity with their
>> > Win32 product which ships with the following apps:
>>
>> > (The Linux offering is about 1/3rd of the way down the list - "Nero
>> > Burning ROM 7" except that all of the advanced features are missing in
>> > the Linux version.)
>>
>> <snip list>
>>
>> That's probably not a bad thing, leaving out all that stuff. Better just
>> to concentrate on providing a solid burning app. Though they'll have to
>> go some way to beat K3b at its own game.
> 
> 
> I'm really skeptical as to how many people would buy a Linux version
> of the Nero software. I have the Windows version of Nero which came
> with my DVD burner and is actually pretty nice. The CD/DVD burning
> part is no big deal but the other tools like DVD authoring, mpeg4 re-
> encoding, batch audio encoding and etc is what makes the package
> useful.
> 
> Anyone who runs Linux already has k3b or access to it not to mention
> various other CD/DVD burning software. Since NeroLinux appears to
> offer nothing more than just basic CD/DVD burning I have a difficult
> time seeing any Linux user bothering to purchase it. Perhaps if it
> included the other integrated utilities it would be appealing to some
> users but in its current form I don't see any scenario why someone
> would buy it.

Obviously they're counting on the Wintards who just installed Linux to fuel
their bottom line. With so many Windoze users looking at alternatives to
Fista, and still looking at Linux through Windoze glasses, they must figure
they have a customer base. Witness all the new Linux users looking for
anti-virus software or wondering how to defrag their ext3 partitions and
you'll see my point.

Cheers.

-- 
The "Wow" starts now.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KyLqUf4cdwc&eurl=

"No sane person wants Vista, so Microsoft is making sure they have no
choice."
http://www.aaxnet.com/editor/edit043.html

0
nospam21 (19047)
5/7/2007 3:16:35 PM
In comp.lang.c Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@schestowitz.com> wrote:

> (response to response to spam snipped)

Any chance you fine fellows could leave comp.lang.c off the crosspost
list for this discussion?  Thanks.  (Followups set.)

-- 
C. Benson Manica           | I *should* know what I'm talking about - if I
cbmanica(at)gmail.com      | don't, I need to know.  Flames welcome.
0
ataru1 (106)
5/7/2007 5:43:44 PM
Reply: