Printer just won't print

I configured my printer with APSFILTER. It usually works very well,
but this time I tried to install CUPS before and it might be why I've
had problems ever since.

When I look at the printer settings in KDE, everything seems fine.
When I try to print a document, I receive a message saying that data
is sent to the printer, but nothing happens thereafter. I don't even
recieve an error message. I can't even print from the command line
with lpr /etc/hosts or echo "Hello World" | lpr -PCan300. No error
message, no nothing.

lpq (ou lpstat) yields:

Printer: Can300@here 'lq850;r=300x300;q=medium;c=full;p=letter;m=auto'
  Queue: no printable jobs in queue
  Server: no server active
  Rank   Owner/ID                  Class Job Files Size Time
error  gp@here+831                   A   831 ERROR: aborting operations

lpc reread:

lpd server pid 651 on here, sending SIGHUP

ps ax:
651 ?        S      0:00 lpd Waiting

Still doesn't print!
Here at my links in /usr/bin . Is it normal that lp links to lp-lprng,
which links to lpr, which links to lpr-lprng ? It looks like quite a
merry-go-round!

ls -l /usr/bin/lp* :

lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root            8 2004-06-19 15:18
/usr/bin/lp -> lp-lprng*

-rwxr-xr-x    1 root     bin           148 2003-09-12 01:13
/usr/bin/lp2pap.sh*

lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root            3 2004-06-19 15:18
/usr/bin/lp-lprng -> lpr*

lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root            9 2004-06-19 15:18
/usr/bin/lpq -> lpq-lprng*

-rwxr-xr-x    1 root     bin         18308 2003-09-11 20:21
/usr/bin/lpq-lprng*

lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root            9 2004-06-19 15:18
/usr/bin/lpr -> lpr-lprng*

-rwxr-xr-x    1 root     bin         35912 2003-09-11 20:21
/usr/bin/lpr-lprng*

lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root           10 2004-06-19 15:18
/usr/bin/lprm -> lprm-lprng*

-rwxr-xr-x    1 root     bin         14236 2003-09-11 20:21
/usr/bin/lprm-lprng*

lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root           12 2004-06-19 15:18
/usr/bin/lpstat -> lpstat-lprng*

-rwxr-xr-x    1 root     bin         18908 2003-09-11 20:21
/usr/bin/lpstat-lprng*

-rwxr-xr-x    1 root     bin          2531 2003-02-27 19:03
/usr/bin/lpunlock*

Thanks in advance... for any enlightened advice.

GP

0
gilpel (104)

GP wrote:

> I configured my printer with APSFILTER. It usually works very well,
> but this time I tried to install CUPS before and it might be why I've
> had problems ever since.
>
> When I look at the printer settings in KDE, everything seems fine.
> When I try to print a document, I receive a message saying that data
> is sent to the printer, but nothing happens thereafter.

You do not say which distribution you are using, so this advice may not
apply perfectly in your case. First step -- look
at /var/log/cups/error_log, see if there are any clues there.

--
Paul Lutus
http://www.arachnoid.com

0
nospam248 (2592)
10/28/2004 5:35:36 PM
Paul Lutus wrote:
> GP wrote:
>

>>I configured my printer with APSFILTER. It usually works very well,
>>but this time I tried to install CUPS before and it might be why I've
>>had problems ever since.
>>
>>When I look at the printer settings in KDE, everything seems fine.
>>When I try to print a document, I receive a message saying that data
>>is sent to the printer, but nothing happens thereafter.
>

> You do not say which distribution you are using, so this advice may not
> apply perfectly in your case. First step -- look
> at /var/log/cups/error_log, see if there are any clues there.

I did say: I configured my printer with APSFILTER.
Not CUPS. So, most probably, my distro is Slackware :)

If I remember well, I disabled all services when I installed. There
might have been one that I needed after all. Something pertaining to
IP communication within the PC.

GP

0
gilpel (104)