John Culleton
0
john

On 2016-12-18 00:07, john@wexfordpress.com wrote:
> I have used cups for years but now it refuses to cooperate.
> I even fired up Knoppix and printed a test file but on the
> following day I loaded KNoppix again and no joy. I can ping
> the printer.
>
> Is there a simple linux program that doesn't use cups that
> will send my pdf files to my printer? I am willing to take
> it off net and connect the printer directly to my computer
> via USB cable.
>
> Printer is HP Color Laser model C1518ni.

I have a 1510n aka 1515n which I assume is a very similar model, works
fine with cups, via network. But you don't even say what distribution
you are using.

However, when the printer has been connected for about two weeks, it may
suddenly stop accepting jobs; apparently, it hangs. I have to cycle
power and it works again.

--
Cheers,
       Carlos E.R.
On 12/17/2016 03:41 PM, Carlos E. R. wrote:

<snip>

> However, when the printer has been connected for about two weeks, it may
> suddenly stop accepting jobs; apparently, it hangs. I have to cycle
> power and it works again.

I get the same behavior per pdf job - just never bothered to work out
why since my needs aren't that heavy.  cups logs show some kind of
filter error.
Printer is Lexmark e460dn

0
jrg
12/18/2016 1:07:44 AM
On 2016-12-18 02:07, jrg wrote:
> On 12/17/2016 03:41 PM, Carlos E. R. wrote:
>

> <snip>
>
>> However, when the printer has been connected for about two weeks, it may
>> suddenly stop accepting jobs; apparently, it hangs. I have to cycle
>> power and it works again.
>
> I get the same behavior per pdf job - just never bothered to work out
> why since my needs aren't that heavy.  cups logs show some kind of
> filter error.
> Printer is Lexmark e460dn

No, that's different from the case I described. It simply that after the
printer has been doing nothing for a week or two, it simply ignores any
new print job. No error appears on cups logs, it is the printer hardware
that hangs. It is pertinent because the OP has a very similar printer
that may have the same bug. I'm simply suggesting that the OP power
cycles the printer and try again.

--
Cheers,
       Carlos E.R.
At Sat, 17 Dec 2016 17:07:44 -0800 jrg <connyank@cox.net> wrote:

> On 12/17/2016 03:41 PM, Carlos E. R. wrote:
>

> <snip>
>
> > However, when the printer has been connected for about two weeks, it may
> > suddenly stop accepting jobs; apparently, it hangs. I have to cycle
> > power and it works again.
>
> I get the same behavior per pdf job - just never bothered to work out
> why since my needs aren't that heavy.  cups logs show some kind of
> filter error.
> Printer is Lexmark e460dn

Sounds like print filter is not pdf capable or has trouble with the PDF level
of the file in question.

Does this work:

pdf2ps somefile.pdf - | lp

OR this:

pdftops somefile.pdf - | lp

(pdf2ps is part of Ghostscript, pdftops is part of xpdf.  Ghostscript often
lags behind xpdf in the version of PDF supported.)

This is a workaround I sometimes need to use, depending on the version of the
PDF file.  Also some tools do something dumb like send a PDF file directly to
the printer -- AFAIK, there are no 'PDF' printers.  There are *Postscript*
printers, but I don't believe any *inkjet* printers contain Postscript engines
in their firmware -- that is something more likely for *laser* printers.

--
Robert Heller             -- 978-544-6933
heller@deepsoft.com       -- Webhosting Services

0
Robert
12/18/2016 2:01:35 AM
On 2016-12-17, john@wexfordpress.com <john@wexfordpress.com> wrote:
> I have used cups for years but now it refuses to cooperate. I even fired up Knoppix and printed a test file but on the following day I loaded KNoppix again and no joy. I can ping the printer.

It helps to set up cups so it prints out an error log, and look in that
to see where the cups problem lies.

> Is there a simple linux program that doesn't use cups that will send my pdf files to my printer? I am willing to take it off net and connect the printer directly to my computer via USB cable.
If your printer is not working or you have the wrong IP address for the
printer, using some other program will not help.

> Printer is HP Color Laser model C1518ni.
>
> John Culleton
0
William
12/18/2016 2:27:53 AM
On 12/17/2016 04:07 PM, john@wexfordpress.com wrote:
> I have used cups for years but now it refuses to cooperate.

  Is there any information in the Jobs status window? Anything in the logs?

> Is there a simple linux program that doesn't use cups that will send my pdf files to my printer?

  There's [s]lpr. It has been so long since I used it I do not recall
the details, like a printer driver.
  Speaking of printer drivers... Which printer driver are you using? I
had trouble with printing ("filter error") until I changed the driver.

--
James Moe
jmm-list at sohnen-moe dot com
On 2016-12-17, john@wexfordpress.com <john@wexfordpress.com> wrote:

> Is there a simple linux program that doesn't use cups that will send
> my pdf files to my printer?

Yes.  LPRng.

http://www.linux-mag.com/id/927/

I used it until CUPS finally matured.  Got do some studying to set it
up, properly, but it'll work.

It has one major advantage.  If you want it for a network printer, it
is entirely invisible to Windows.  IOW, you set it up for you Linux
machine, then use whatever software (drivers) Windows provides for any
M$ box on yer network.

Yer problem might not be CUPS.  I've never been happy with using
Adobe's Acrobat Reader.  I also get that single use, then restart the
browser, nonsense.  I jes use KDEs okular or even xpdf.  Anything but
Adobe.  ;)

nb
0
notbob
12/18/2016 11:32:29 AM
Carlos E. R. <robin_lis...@invalid.es> [CER]:
CER> after the printer has been doing nothing for a week or two, it
CER> simply ignores any new print job. No error appears on cups logs,
CER> it is the printer hardware that hangs. It is pertinent because the
CER> OP has a very similar printer that may have the same bug. I'm simply
CER> suggesting that the OP power cycles the printer and try again.

I have seen similar behaviour with other HP printers. It may have
to do with some energy saving auto-shutoff/hibernate feature of the
printer, which the printer driver fails to notice/cope with.

Visit the cups webpage (usually http://localhost:631/), select the
printer and pause/restart it. Printing should now resume and the
queued jobs be processed. This manual procedure (submitting a few
POST commands to the cups webserver) can be scripted (e.g. with curl,
which supports receiving/sending cookies).

0
Anonymous
12/18/2016 2:31:30 PM
At Sun, 18 Dec 2016 15:31:30 +0100 (CET) "Anonymous Remailer (austria)" <mixmaster@remailer.privacy.at> wrote:

> Carlos E. R. <robin_lis...@invalid.es> [CER]:
> CER> after the printer has been doing nothing for a week or two, it
> CER> simply ignores any new print job. No error appears on cups logs,
> CER> it is the printer hardware that hangs. It is pertinent because the
> CER> OP has a very similar printer that may have the same bug. I'm simply
> CER> suggesting that the OP power cycles the printer and try again.
>
> I have seen similar behaviour with other HP printers. It may have
> to do with some energy saving auto-shutoff/hibernate feature of the
> printer, which the printer driver fails to notice/cope with.
>
> Visit the cups webpage (usually http://localhost:631/), select the
> printer and pause/restart it. Printing should now resume and the
> queued jobs be processed. This manual procedure (submitting a few
> POST commands to the cups webserver) can be scripted (e.g. with curl,
> which supports receiving/sending cookies).

Even easier than messing with curl, etc. is to just use the available CLI
tools that do all of that:

cupsdisable, cupsenable - stop/start printers and classes
cupsaccept/cupsreject - accept/reject jobs sent to a destination
lpadmin - configure cups printers and classes

man lpadmin
man cupsaccept
man cupsenable

Yes, there is a CLI interface to CUPS.  It is just a little obscure and poorly
'advertized'.

--
Robert Heller             -- 978-544-6933
heller@deepsoft.com       -- Webhosting Services

0
Robert
12/18/2016 4:17:16 PM
Hi there

On 18/12/16 12:32, notbob wrote:

> Yes.  LPRng.
>
> http://www.linux-mag.com/id/927/
>
> I used it until CUPS finally matured.  Got do some studying to set it
> up, properly, but it'll work.
>
> It has one major advantage.  If you want it for a network printer, it
> is entirely invisible to Windows.  IOW, you set it up for you Linux
> machine, then use whatever software (drivers) Windows provides for any
> M$ box on yer network.
>
> Yer problem might not be CUPS.  I've never been happy with using
> Adobe's Acrobat Reader.  I also get that single use, then restart the
> browser, nonsense.  I jes use KDEs okular or even xpdf.  Anything but
> Adobe.  ;)

Qpodfview will print stuff that that xpdf can't handle.
PDFs made with Adobe software aren't standards compliant PDFs.

Regards,
Rob

0
Rob
12/18/2016 5:56:10 PM
Hi there

On 18/12/16 15:31, Anonymous Remailer (austria) wrote:

> I have seen similar behaviour with other HP printers. It may have
> to do with some energy saving auto-shutoff/hibernate feature of the
> printer, which the printer driver fails to notice/cope with.
>
> Visit the cups webpage (usually http://localhost:631/), select the
> printer and pause/restart it. Printing should now resume and the
> queued jobs be processed. This manual procedure (submitting a few
> POST commands to the cups webserver) can be scripted (e.g. with curl,
> which supports receiving/sending cookies).

Sometimes I can't even ping my printer (HP Laserjet P2015DN) and only a
power cycle will bring it back to life.
BTW, the PPD that comes with CUPS doesn't support 1200 DPI so I used
cabextract to get the PPD from the Windows driver CD that comes with the
printer.
CUPS doesn't have a nice text queue, so I use paps and lpr to convert
UTF-8 text into postscript.

Regards,
Rob

0
Rob
12/18/2016 6:08:22 PM
On 2016-12-18 15:31, Anonymous Remailer (austria) wrote:

> Carlos E. R. <robin_lis...@invalid.es> [CER]:
> CER> after the printer has been doing nothing for a week or two, it
> CER> simply ignores any new print job. No error appears on cups logs,
> CER> it is the printer hardware that hangs. It is pertinent because the
> CER> OP has a very similar printer that may have the same bug. I'm simply
> CER> suggesting that the OP power cycles the printer and try again.
>
> I have seen similar behaviour with other HP printers. It may have
> to do with some energy saving auto-shutoff/hibernate feature of the
> printer, which the printer driver fails to notice/cope with.

I tried using the printer panel keys, no effect.

I can send a page when the printer is sleeping and it prints. No issue.
This is different, and happens after the printer has been powered up for
many days continuously, printing occasionally some pages.

The appearance is that the printer "hangs". Does not receive data over
ethernet.

As it takes weeks to happen again, it is difficult to study. I may be on
a hurry that instant to produce the printout, too.

> Visit the cups webpage (usually http://localhost:631/), select the
> printer and pause/restart it. Printing should now resume and the
> queued jobs be processed. This manual procedure (submitting a few
> POST commands to the cups webserver) can be scripted (e.g. with curl,
> which supports receiving/sending cookies).

I'll try remember this the next time it happens ;-)

I must try too to reach the printer web page. See if it responds.

--
Cheers,
       Carlos E.R.
On 12/17/2016 06:01 PM, Robert Heller wrote:
> At Sat, 17 Dec 2016 17:07:44 -0800 jrg <connyank@cox.net> wrote:
>

>> On 12/17/2016 03:41 PM, Carlos E. R. wrote:
>>

>> <snip>
>>
>>> However, when the printer has been connected for about two weeks, it may
>>> suddenly stop accepting jobs; apparently, it hangs. I have to cycle
>>> power and it works again.
>>
>> I get the same behavior per pdf job - just never bothered to work out
>> why since my needs aren't that heavy.  cups logs show some kind of
>> filter error.
>> Printer is Lexmark e460dn
>
> Sounds like print filter is not pdf capable or has trouble with the PDF level
> of the file in question.

Thank you, Robert - both commands work like a charm with repeated
prints.  Some errors in pdftops...

> Does this work:
>
> pdf2ps somefile.pdf - | lp
>
> OR this:
>
> pdftops somefile.pdf - | lp

output:

Syntax Error: font resource is not a dictionary
Syntax Error: font resource is not a dictionary
Syntax Error: font resource is not a dictionary
Syntax Error: font resource is not a dictionary
Syntax Error: font resource is not a dictionary
Syntax Error: font resource is not a dictionary
request id is Lexmark-International-Lexmark-E460dn-208 (0 file(s))

but printed fine anyway - twice, then stopped working altogether
(nothing in queue).
went back to pdf2ps and it now failed with 2 lines of gibberish.

(sigh)

> (pdf2ps is part of Ghostscript, pdftops is part of xpdf.  Ghostscript often
> lags behind xpdf in the version of PDF supported.)
>
> This is a workaround I sometimes need to use, depending on the version of the
> PDF file.  Also some tools do something dumb like send a PDF file directly to
> the printer -- AFAIK, there are no 'PDF' printers.  There are *Postscript*
> printers, but I don't believe any *inkjet* printers contain Postscript engines
> in their firmware -- that is something more likely for *laser* printers.

this printer is a laser - almost 10 years old but in excellent shape.

0
jrg
12/18/2016 6:45:21 PM
On 2016-12-17, john@wexfordpress.com wrote:
> I have used cups for years but now it refuses to cooperate. I even
> fired up Knoppix and printed a test file but on the following day I
> loaded KNoppix again and no joy. I can ping the printer.
>
> Is there a simple linux program that doesn't use cups that will send
> my pdf files to my printer? I am willing to take it off net and
> connect the printer directly to my computer via USB cable.

Do you leave your printer on all the time, John?  If so, try cycling the
power before you use it, or turn it off until you use it, since someone
else suggested their similar printer sometimes needs that to accept jobs
properly.  Please let us know if that works for you.

Others have suggested it's a problem with printing PDF files.  Is that
the test file you're trying to print?  Can you print other types of
files, like text or other non-PDF document files?  (Not binary files,
please.)  Please let us know if they print.

How are you trying to print these files?  From the programs you used to
create or read them?  From the command-line?  If the former, try another
application that can read and print the files, and let us know if that
works.

Did everything work well before you started using Slackware 14.2?

It might be a good test to try directly connecting the printer to your
PC via USB.  If it works fine that way, it might be a network problem,
rather than a printer hardware or PC software problem.

Does your PC also boot a Windows installation?  If so, have you tried
printing from Windows?  If it works there, that would eliminate hardware
problems as the cause.
--
                                 Chick Tower

For e-mail:  colm DOT sent DOT towerboy AT xoxy DOT net
0
Chick
12/18/2016 6:50:19 PM
At Sun, 18 Dec 2016 19:08:22 +0100 Rob van der Putten <rob@sput.nl> wrote:

> Hi there
>

> On 18/12/16 15:31, Anonymous Remailer (austria) wrote:
>
> > I have seen similar behaviour with other HP printers. It may have
> > to do with some energy saving auto-shutoff/hibernate feature of the
> > printer, which the printer driver fails to notice/cope with.
> >
> > Visit the cups webpage (usually http://localhost:631/), select the
> > printer and pause/restart it. Printing should now resume and the
> > queued jobs be processed. This manual procedure (submitting a few
> > POST commands to the cups webserver) can be scripted (e.g. with curl,
> > which supports receiving/sending cookies).
>
> Sometimes I can't even ping my printer (HP Laserjet P2015DN) and only a
> power cycle will bring it back to life.
> BTW, the PPD that comes with CUPS doesn't support 1200 DPI so I used
> cabextract to get the PPD from the Windows driver CD that comes with the
> printer.
> CUPS doesn't have a nice text queue, so I use paps and lpr to convert
> UTF-8 text into postscript.

I believe it is possible to create a filter using a2ps and some PPDs or
printer "drivers" include such a filter.

--
Robert Heller             -- 978-544-6933
heller@deepsoft.com       -- Webhosting Services

0
Robert
12/18/2016 6:59:46 PM
Hi there

On 18/12/16 19:59, Robert Heller wrote:

> I believe it is possible to create a filter using a2ps and some PPDs or
> printer "drivers" include such a filter.

I think I looked into a2ps a long time ago. I don't recall why I decided
not to use it.
CUPS is supposed to support external filters, but I never got them to work.
More info on paps;
http://paps.sourceforge.net/
http://www.sput.nl/unicode/print-utf.html
This will even print Egyptian hieroglyphs.

Regards,
Rob

0
Rob
12/18/2016 10:50:57 PM
On 2016-12-18 19:45, jrg wrote:
> On 12/17/2016 06:01 PM, Robert Heller wrote:

>> Sounds like print filter is not pdf capable or has trouble with the
>> PDF level
>> of the file in question.
>>

> Thank you, Robert - both commands work like a charm with repeated
> prints.  Some errors in pdftops...

I use "ps2ps" when the postscript may not be right. For instance, if it
was generated by acroread.

--
Cheers,
       Carlos E.R.
Carlos E. R. <robin_lis...@invalid.es> [CER]:
CER> The appearance is that the printer "hangs". Does not receive data
CER> over ethernet.
CER>
CER> As it takes weeks to happen again, it is difficult to study. I
CER> may be on a hurry that instant to produce the printout, too.

I believe you wrote somewhere upthread that your printer does not
respond to ping. Does your printer have a static IP or does it
get an IP using the DHCP service of your modem?  If it's the latter,
next time it hangs check whether its DHCP lease has expired.

Or, assign a static IP to the printer and see if the problem persists.

0
Anonymous
12/19/2016 4:22:30 AM
William Unruh <unruh@invalid.ca> Wrote in message:
> On 2016-12-17, john@wexfordpress.com <john@wexfordpress.com> wrote:
>> I have used cups for years but now it refuses to cooperate. I even fired up Knoppix and printed a test file but on the following day I loaded KNoppix again and no joy. I can ping the printer.
>>

> It helps to set up cups so it prints out an error log, and look in that
> to see where the cups problem lies.
>
>> Is there a simple linux program that doesn't use cups that will send my pdf files to my printer? I am willing to take it off net and connect the printer directly to my computer via USB cable.
> If your printer is not working or you have the wrong IP address for the
> printer, using some other program will not help.
>

>> Printer is HP Color Laser model C1518ni.
>>
>> John Culleton

The consensus seems to be that the OP should be able to fix CUPS.
I don't know of any alternative program.  If you connect the
 printer via
wi-fi or directly with ethernet, your router can probably find it
 via WPS.
I have a Brother printer connected via USB.  Ethernet and wireless
connections are available. It has a preset IP address of 192.168.1.234.
I can convert a pdf to postscript then do a "cat file.ps | lpr."
 But CUPS is
still present.

Doug.
dlbendigo
12/19/2016 1:42:59 PM
On 19/12/16 15:42, dlbendigo wrote:
> William Unruh <unruh@invalid.ca> Wrote in message:
>> On 2016-12-17, john@wexfordpress.com <john@wexfordpress.com>
>> wrote:
>>> I have used cups for years but now it refuses to cooperate. I
>>> even fired up Knoppix and printed a test file but on the
>>> following day I loaded KNoppix again and no joy. I can ping the
>>> printer.
>>>

>> It helps to set up cups so it prints out an error log, and look in
>> that to see where the cups problem lies.
>>
>>> Is there a simple linux program that doesn't use cups that will
>>> send my pdf files to my printer? I am willing to take it off net
>>> and connect the printer directly to my computer via USB cable.
>> O If your printer is not working or you have the wrong IP address
>> for the printer, using some other program will not help.
>>

>>> Printer is HP Color Laser model C1518ni.
>>>
>>> John Culleton
>>

> The consensus seems to be that the OP should be able to fix CUPS.

I suspect the the problem may be the printer  - I have often had
printers go into terminal sulks when fed an incomplete diet of
postcript, or too much of it.

three days ago, I had erratic DNS . Power cycling the router fixed
it....Not all hardware is free from memory leaks.

0
The
12/19/2016 1:53:39 PM
john@wexfordpress.com <john@wexfordpress.com> wrote:
> I have used cups for years but now it refuses to cooperate.
> I even fired up Knoppix and printed a test file but on the
> following day I loaded KNoppix again and no joy. I can ping
> the printer.
>
> Is there a simple linux program that doesn't use cups that
> will send my pdf files to my printer? I am willing to take
> it off net and connect the printer directly to my computer
> via USB cable.
>
> Printer is HP Color Laser model C1518ni.

I've used apsfilter ( http://www.apsfilter.org/ - I can't get
the website to load at the moment) to set up printers before.
If you've got a postscript printer (which I'd hope from a HP
Laser), you shouldn't have too worry about having the exact
drivers required (unless you need the fancy settings).

Apsfilter is just a tool for configuring lpd or LPRng.

I also set up a Brother printer on a CUPSless system using
the proprietary driver and tutorial on their website. Though
as is the problem with following tutorials - I can't really
remember what I did now. It's been more reliable than the
CUPS configuration for the same printer running on another
system.

--
__          __
#_ < |\| |< _#
On 2016-12-19 05:22, Anonymous Remailer (austria) wrote:

> Carlos E. R. <robin_lis...@invalid.es> [CER]:
> CER> The appearance is that the printer "hangs". Does not receive data
> CER> over ethernet.
> CER>
> CER> As it takes weeks to happen again, it is difficult to study. I
> CER> may be on a hurry that instant to produce the printout, too.
>
> I believe you wrote somewhere upthread that your printer does not
> respond to ping. Does your printer have a static IP or does it
> get an IP using the DHCP service of your modem?  If it's the latter,
> next time it hangs check whether its DHCP lease has expired.

No, fixed IP.

The thing is, I may have to wait weeks till the error happens again.
Then, I need not be in a hurry to get something printed - say, a ticket
to the cinema starting in 15 minutes :-P - and finally, I have to
remember what to try.

I don't fully remember if it responds to pings when it hangs or not, but
I suspect it. Something to try next time...

--
Cheers,
       Carlos E.R.
On 2016-12-19 23:55, Carlos E. R. wrote:
> On 2016-12-19 05:22, Anonymous Remailer (austria) wrote:
>>
>> Carlos E. R. <robin_lis...@invalid.es> [CER]:
>> CER> The appearance is that the printer "hangs". Does not receive data
>> CER> over ethernet.
>> CER>
>> CER> As it takes weeks to happen again, it is difficult to study. I
>> CER> may be on a hurry that instant to produce the printout, too.
>>
>> I believe you wrote somewhere upthread that your printer does not
>> respond to ping. Does your printer have a static IP or does it
>> get an IP using the DHCP service of your modem?  If it's the latter,
>> next time it hangs check whether its DHCP lease has expired.
>
> No, fixed IP.
>
> The thing is, I may have to wait weeks till the error happens again.
> Then, I need not be in a hurry to get something printed - say, a ticket
> to the cinema starting in 15 minutes :-P - and finally, I have to
> remember what to try.
>

> I don't fully remember if it responds to pings when it hangs or not, but
> I suspect it. Something to try next time...

This instant my printer is in that state, it does not print. The LCD
panel says "Printing", but does not. CUPS says that the job is

pending since
Fri 23 Dec 2016 06:43:44 PM CET
"Connected to printer."

Printer status "iddle".

The web page for the printer responds, and says:

The printer event log shows last event as "code 20000"

I understand this is a printer bug, and it is simply stuck on something,
and that the only solution is to power cycle it.

I'm not in a hurry this time to print that page, so I can wait for
ideas. Model is HP CP1510N, very similar to the one of the OP. Could be
the same problem. But he has forgotten this group, apparently, so we can
not find out for sure if it is.

--
Cheers,
       Carlos E.R.
Carlos E. R. <robin_lis...@invalid.es> [CER]:
CER> This instant my printer is in that state, it does not print. The
CER> LCD panel says "Printing", but does not.

Have you tried pausing/restarting the printer from its CUPS
webpage or by issuing

  $ cupsdisable $PRINTER_QUEUE_NAME
  $ cupsenable $PRINTER_QUEUE_NAME

?

(Cupsdisable will not cancel any queued jobs, unless one uses the
-c option).

0
Anonymous