Problem Converting Linux PC to Dual-Boot (XP, Linux)

I have a Fedora Core 2 Linux PC (Dell Optiplex GX60) that I need to
convert to a
Dual-Boot machine (WIndows XP, Fedora Core 6).

I installed XP, wiping out the existing Linux, but when I go to
partition the disk
via Knoppix/qtparted, the Knoppix CD is not seen on boot, it goes
right to
WIndows every time.

I suspect this is due to the fact that there was a pre-existing Linux
install.

So: what needs to be done here so I can run qtparted from Knoppix,
partition the disk, install FC6 on the back half the disk and get this
done?

Thanks,
-Richard Vaughn

0
rvaughn9 (42)

On Thu, 30 Aug 2007 15:16:18 -0000, Richard Vaughn wrote:
> I have a Fedora Core 2 Linux PC (Dell Optiplex GX60) that I need to
> convert to a
> Dual-Boot machine (WIndows XP, Fedora Core 6).
>
> I installed XP, wiping out the existing Linux, but when I go to
> partition the disk
> via Knoppix/qtparted, the Knoppix CD is not seen on boot, it goes
> right to
> WIndows every time.
>
> I suspect this is due to the fact that there was a pre-existing Linux
> install.

no, your pc bios is not set to boot from cd first.
0
BitTwister2 (1376)
8/30/2007 3:24:11 PM
On Aug 30, 11:24 am, Bit Twister <BitTwis...@mouse-potato.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 30 Aug 2007 15:16:18 -0000, Richard Vaughn wrote:
> > I have a Fedora Core 2 Linux PC (Dell Optiplex GX60) that I need to
> > convert to a
> > Dual-Boot machine (WIndows XP, Fedora Core 6).
>
> > I installed XP, wiping out the existing Linux, but when I go to
> > partition the disk
> > via Knoppix/qtparted, the Knoppix CD is not seen on boot, it goes
> > right to
> > WIndows every time.
>
> > I suspect this is due to the fact that there was a pre-existing Linux
> > install.
>
> no, your pc bios is not set to boot from cd first.

No, it is, I just installed Win XP.

0
rvaughn9 (42)
8/30/2007 3:42:43 PM
On Thu, 30 Aug 2007 15:42:43 +0000, Richard Vaughn wrote:

> On Aug 30, 11:24 am, Bit Twister <BitTwis...@mouse-potato.com> wrote:
>> On Thu, 30 Aug 2007 15:16:18 -0000, Richard Vaughn wrote:
>> > I have a Fedora Core 2 Linux PC (Dell Optiplex GX60) that I need to
>> > convert to a
>> > Dual-Boot machine (WIndows XP, Fedora Core 6).
>>
>> > I installed XP, wiping out the existing Linux, but when I go to
>> > partition the disk
>> > via Knoppix/qtparted, the Knoppix CD is not seen on boot, it goes
>> > right to
>> > WIndows every time.
>>
>> > I suspect this is due to the fact that there was a pre-existing Linux
>> > install.
>>
>> no, your pc bios is not set to boot from cd first.
>
> No, it is, I just installed Win XP.

It has to be a BIOS problem unless the Knoppix CD isn't bootable for some
reason. How did you write the Knoppix CD? Did you do it from Windows or
Linux?
0
schvantzkoph (1943)
8/30/2007 3:55:22 PM
On Aug 30, 11:55 am, General Schvantzkoph <schvantzk...@yahoo.com>
wrote:
> On Thu, 30 Aug 2007 15:42:43 +0000, Richard Vaughn wrote:

> >> no, your pc bios is not set to boot from cd first.
>
> > No, it is, I just installed Win XP.
>
> It has to be a BIOS problem unless the Knoppix CD isn't bootable for some
> reason. How did you write the Knoppix CD? Did you do it from Windows or
> Linux?

Received Knoppix CD in mail as part of a subscription to a Linux
magazine.
Maybe try one created via WIndows?

0
rvaughn9 (42)
8/30/2007 4:26:39 PM
wrote:
> On Thu, 30 Aug 2007 15:42:43 +0000, Richard Vaughn wrote:

> >> no, your pc bios is not set to boot from cd first.
>
> > No, it is, I just installed Win XP.
>
> It has to be a BIOS problem unless the Knoppix CD isn't bootable for some
> reason. How did you write the Knoppix CD? Did you do it from Windows or
> Linux?

That did it.  I tried w/ a Knoppix CD I created via WIndows.  I'm
paritioning!
Thank you, General Schvantzkoph, Sir!

0
rvaughn9 (42)
8/30/2007 4:36:05 PM
On Thu, 30 Aug 2007 16:26:39 +0000, Richard Vaughn wrote:
> Received Knoppix CD in mail as part of a subscription to a Linux
> magazine.
> Maybe try one created via WIndows?

I have had trouble with magazine DVDs not booting - I think the production
process is poor.  They do have a phone number to call for a replacement,
and it is in large enough type that I suspect they know about it....
0
robertharvey (286)