RedHat ES 3.0 send mail does sendmail need to be on

Does sendmail need to be on to send mail?

LHradowy wrote:
> Does sendmail need to be on to send mail?

Most mail clients don't have a built in SMTP, so you need to configure the
mailcleinet to use one and it don't have to be a local one.
0
user7 (4036)
4/1/2004 7:00:30 PM
On Thu, 01 Apr 2004 12:41:05 -0600, LHradowy wrote:

> Does sendmail need to be on to send mail?

No.

If your ISP gives you server names such as smtp.your-isp.com for outgoing
and pop.your-isp.com for incoming, just use those addresses in your mail
client and they will go via your ISP.

Regards,
Dave

0
Dave
4/1/2004 7:09:03 PM
On Thu, 01 Apr 2004 12:41:05 -0600 LHradowy wrote:

> Does sendmail need to be on to send mail?

If you do not run the sendmail service you will get no mails generated by
the system, like from logwatch or by cron generated information mail. I
fell on a server it is highly wanted to get mail feedback from the system
for the root user.

By default sendmail is limited to localhost on RHEL, so no outside users
are able to access the service.

Alexander

--
Alexander Dalloz | Enger, Germany
PGP key valid: made 13.07.1999

On Fri, 02 Apr 2004 01:49:43 +0200, Alexander Dalloz
<alexander.dalloz@uni-bielefeld.de> wrote:

> On Thu, 01 Apr 2004 12:41:05 -0600 LHradowy wrote:
>
>> Does sendmail need to be on to send mail?

No.  It might need to be installed on the machine, depending on your
mail program, but it doesn't need to be running.

> If you do not run the sendmail service you will get no mails generated by
> the system, like from logwatch or by cron generated information mail.

For this sendmail only needs to be installed on the machine.  It does
not need to be running as a daemon for system mail to be delivered.

The only problem would be if such system mail was being sent to another
machine, in which case it might be temporarily undeliverable.  To handle
that you would want to run "sendmail -q" from a cron job once in a
while.

--
 -| Bob Hauck
 -| To Whom You Are Speaking
On Fri, 02 Apr 2004 08:21:52 -0500 Bob Hauck wrote:

>> If you do not run the sendmail service you will get no mails generated by
>> the system, like from logwatch or by cron generated information mail.
>
> For this sendmail only needs to be installed on the machine.  It does
> not need to be running as a daemon for system mail to be delivered.
>
> The only problem would be if such system mail was being sent to another
> machine, in which case it might be temporarily undeliverable.  To handle
> that you would want to run "sendmail -q" from a cron job once in a
> while.

How do you think the submission queue will be cleared? If not running
Sendmail as a daemon then you at least have to have a cronjob running
"sendmail -L sm-msp-queue -Ac" regulary.

Alexander

--
Alexander Dalloz | Enger, Germany
PGP key valid: made 13.07.1999
PGP fingerprint: 2307 88FD 2D41 038E 7416  14CD E197 6E88 ED69 5653

On Fri, 02 Apr 2004 18:43:30 +0200, Alexander Dalloz
<alexander.dalloz@uni-bielefeld.de> wrote:

> On Fri, 02 Apr 2004 08:21:52 -0500 Bob Hauck wrote:
>
>>> If you do not run the sendmail service you will get no mails generated by
>>> the system, like from logwatch or by cron generated information mail.
>>
>> For this sendmail only needs to be installed on the machine.  It does
>> not need to be running as a daemon for system mail to be delivered.
>>
>> The only problem would be if such system mail was being sent to another
>> machine, in which case it might be temporarily undeliverable.  To handle
>> that you would want to run "sendmail -q" from a cron job once in a
>> while.
>
> How do you think the submission queue will be cleared?

With a cron job.  Like I said right up above there in the quoted
material.  It might be a good idea to actually read the post before
following up.

I have set up a lot of machines without a mail daemon and have never had
any problems.

> ... then you at least have to have a cronjob running "sendmail -L
> sm-msp-queue -Ac" regulary.

Right, but I think all you need is "-q":

     -q[time]       Processed saved messages in the queue at
                    given intervals.  If time is omitted, process
                    the queue once.

--
 -| Bob Hauck
 -| To Whom You Are Speaking
<postmaster@localhost.localdomain> writes:
>On Fri, 02 Apr 2004 01:49:43 +0200, Alexander Dalloz
><alexander.dalloz@uni-bielefeld.de> wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 01 Apr 2004 12:41:05 -0600 LHradowy wrote:
>>
>>> Does sendmail need to be on to send mail?
>
>No.  It might need to be installed on the machine, depending on your
>mail program, but it doesn't need to be running.
>

>> If you do not run the sendmail service you will get no mails generated by
>> the system, like from logwatch or by cron generated information mail.
>
>For this sendmail only needs to be installed on the machine.  It does
>not need to be running as a daemon for system mail to be delivered.

If you run a standard install of sendmail 8.12, you need the daemon.

--Per Hedeland
per@hedeland.org
0
per71 (2635)
4/3/2004 1:10:49 AM
LHradowy wrote:

> Does sendmail need to be on to send mail?

No, sendmail does not need to run.  However, if mail could not be
delivered immediately, it would be stored in the queue.  If you don't
have sendmail running (at least in queue runner mode), mail that
couldn't be delivered immediately would stay in mail queue forever.

Also, starting with some version of sendmal package, some of the locally
generated mails will first go to the client mailqueue.  If you don't
have queue runner for client mailqueue running, mail stays in client
mailqueue forever.
0
alex1242 (75)
4/3/2004 4:30:33 AM
Bob Hauck wrote:

> The only problem would be if such system mail was being sent to another
> machine, in which case it might be temporarily undeliverable.  To handle
> that you would want to run "sendmail -q" from a cron job once in a
> while.

Or let sendmail running in queue runner mode only (not listening on any
interfaces).  Normally, one would run sendmail as "sendmail -bd -q15m"
or something similar.  If you run it without -bd as "sendmail -q15m", it
does not listen on any interfaces.  It only goes through the queue every
15 minutes.
0
alex1242 (75)
4/3/2004 4:36:35 AM
Aleksandar Milivojevic wrote:

> Also, starting with some version of sendmal package, some of the locally
> generated mails will first go to the client mailqueue.  If you don't
> have queue runner for client mailqueue running, mail stays in client
> mailqueue forever.

Forgot to mention, for client mailqueue to empty (if you have it), you
either need two sendmail processes, client mailqueue runner, and main
sendmail listening on localhost.  Or client mailqueue runner with
submit.cf changed to point to smart host instead of localhost.
0
alex1242 (75)
4/3/2004 4:56:54 AM
LHradowy wrote:
> Does sendmail need to be on to send mail?

No.

The exact reasoning *why* it isn't necessary, *how* to obviate its use,
and whether it is *worthwhile* to obviate it like that, is, however,
highly dependent on what you're trying to do, how you define "on" in the
first place, etcetera. Chances are that the answer's "no" for the simple
but less-than-helpful reason that you can use a different MTA (qmail,
postfix, ...) instead.

Regards,
								J. Bern

0
bern (418)
4/5/2004 6:53:47 PM
On Mon, 05 Apr 2004 20:53:47 +0200, Jochen Bern wrote:

> LHradowy wrote:
>> Does sendmail need to be on to send mail?
>
> No.
>
> The exact reasoning *why* it isn't necessary, *how* to obviate its use,
> and whether it is *worthwhile* to obviate it like that, is, however,
> highly dependent on what you're trying to do, how you define "on" in the
> first place, etcetera. Chances are that the answer's "no" for the simple
> but less-than-helpful reason that you can use a different MTA (qmail,
> postfix, ...) instead.

I think the above can be deciphered as "You could use an MTA besides
sendmail".

But, considering there is a difference between a mail server and a mail
client I think the *why* probably is important.

If you want to set up a mail server to send mail you need to run sendmail
or some other mail transport agent.

If you just want to send mail as a client, not set up a mail server, all
you need is a mail client like Mozilla pointed at a public mail server.

--
i.m.

annoyed (456)