right linux

Can someone please advise me. I'm looking to buy a pc with linux
pre-installed.
I don't know which brand of linux to go for. What I'm looking for is a
linux that comes with a perl interpreter and c/c++ compiler pre-loaded,
so that I won't have to pay more later.
Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

nick wrote:

> Can someone please advise me. I'm looking to buy a pc with linux
> pre-installed.

That's difficult. There aren't many vendors which sell such systems. Which
are appropriate to you would depend somewhat on you geographical location.

It is quite likely that a better option would be to buy a machine with
Windows preinstalled, or assemble one from components.

http://distrowatch.com/dwres.php?resource=major

> What I'm looking for is a linux that comes with a perl interpreter and
> c/c++ compiler pre-loaded, so that I won't have to pay more later.

Most distros come with such software already. Such software is available
freely anyway, so you certainly wouldn't need to pay more for licenses. You
might for technical expertise, but if you are capable with C/C++/Perl then
I wouldn't expect installing the software to pose a great challenge.

--
David Dorward       <http://blog.dorward.me.uk/>   <http://dorward.me.uk/>
                     Home is where the ~/.bashrc is
"nick" <cupofjava1961@aol.com> writes:
> Can someone please advise me. I'm looking to buy a pc with linux
> pre-installed.

Linspire PC $220
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=3762911

Linspire features:
        http://www.linspire.com/

> I don't know which brand of linux to go for. What I'm looking for is a
> linux that comes with a perl interpreter and c/c++ compiler pre-loaded,
> so that I won't have to pay more later.

Huh?  You do know Linux OS's are typically free and Perl and gcc
specifically are free packages.

Dunno if linspire has the compiler installed already, but I suspect it
might.

The other route would be to buy a bare PC and slap a dead simple
installing OS on it like Ubuntu.  Ubuntu's installation was so simple
it was frightening, honestly.

Best Regards,
--
Todd H.
http://www.toddh.net/
On 2005-12-02, Todd H. <comphelp@toddh.net> wrote:
> "nick" <cupofjava1961@aol.com> writes:
>> Can someone please advise me. I'm looking to buy a pc with linux
>> pre-installed.
>
> Linspire PC $220
> http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=3762911
>
> Linspire features:
>         http://www.linspire.com/

Based on what I have heard, I would _not_ be inclined to
suggest Linspire.  Reportedly, they open too many security
holes in an attempt to make it easier for Doze users to
handle.

Unless absolute rock bottom price is essential, a better
suggestion would be to go to the web site of Linux Journal,
www.linuxjournal.com, or grab a paper copy of the magazine,
and check the ads.  Last issue I read had a lot of
tower-type and rack-mount-type machines apparently with
Linux installed or available.

Robert Riches
spamtrap42@verizon.net
spamtrap42 (1175)
12/2/2005 5:24:51 AM
In <slrndovml4.fht.rob@one.localnet> Robert M. Riches Jr.:

[Snip...]

> www.linuxjournal.com, or grab a paper copy of the magazine,
> and check the ads.

FWIW, I've had very good experience with ASL:

                          http://www.aslab.com/

Disclaimer: I have no interest in ASL except as a very satisfied customer.

wookie5 (506)
12/2/2005 11:10:06 AM
Linspire does not have the compiler already installed. It has to be
downloaded from the CNR Warehouse. However, gcc is included on the
Linspire Extras CD. I have Linspire Extras (version 5.0.3), so anybody
drop me a line if you need a copy (you still need an internet
connection and a CNR Warehouse subscription to use Linspire Extras).

On Fri, 02 Dec 2005 14:51:50 -0800, DarthChaosofRSPW wrote:

> Linspire does not have the compiler already installed. It has to be
> downloaded from the CNR Warehouse. However, gcc is included on the
> Linspire Extras CD. I have Linspire Extras (version 5.0.3), so anybody
> drop me a line if you need a copy (you still need an internet
> connection and a CNR Warehouse subscription to use Linspire Extras).

Isn't that great!  If you use Linspire, you have to pay money to use the
free compiler that every other distro includes for free.

What a deal!  What a great sounding distro!

Linux Registered User #327951