sar disk statistics

Can anyone out there tell me what I have to install/configure in order
to get %busy, avserv, avque values in the sar -d output?  Been
floundering around with this for days.
Running:
Linux bnyrhdb3 2.4.21-9.ELsmp #1 SMP Thu Jan 8 17:08:56 EST 2004 i686
i686 i386 GNU/Linux
 [vgcwjd@bnyrhdb3 vgcwjd]$ rpm -q "sysstat"
sysstat-5.0.5-5.rhel3
[vgcwjd@bnyrhdb3 vgcwjd]$

Thanks,
Bill

comp.os.linux.misc 33619 articles. 0 followers. amosa69 (125) is leader. Post Follow

100 Day Statistics for comp.databases.ms-access
[view with fixed-spaced font] 100 Day Analysis Following is a summary of articles spanning a 100 day period, beginning at 10 Sep 2003 06:41:30 GMT and ending at 19 Dec 2003 04:09:06 GMT. Notes ===== - A line in the body of a post is considered to be original if it does *not* match the regular expression /^\s{0,3}(?:>|:|\S+>|\+\+)/. - All text after the last cut line (/^-- $/) in the body is considered to be the author's signature. - The scanner prefers the Reply-To: header over the From: header in determining the "real" email address and na...

Performance writing to SCSI disk
Hello, I once had reported disappointing performance for L-Class disks, even though LVD, or at least UW. Recently I did direct writes to the disk device files in HP-UX 11.23 (Itanium2) with varying block sizes. The throughput was 120kB to 1.7MB/s!!! Accessing via file I/O, i'm seeing arounf 300MB/s (buffered). Doing the same thing with Linux on the same hardware, I'm getting around 54MB/s. Buffered reads peak at 3GB/s. Event hrough GE (Gigabit Ethernet) I'm getting around 58MB/s. Can anybody explain the slowness observed with HP-UX? Regards, Ulrich Ulrich Windl wrote: > Hel...

Missing sar data
For some unknown (to me) reason, I only have 8 days of sar data in /usr/adm/sa on a 5.0.7 system. On previous versions, I used to accumulate the full 30 days worth of data. What process is cleaning up this data. I've checked /usr/lib/cleantmp and /etc/cleanup, and there are no entries that affect /usr/adm/sa. There are no other cron entries for any user that delete files like this, and there's nothing in /etc/rc2.d (or other startup/shutdown dirs) that clean up /usr/adm/sa. Is it an undocumented function of one of the sa* programs themselves? (My hand is poised in front of forehead...

Disk Help
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_004A_01C6FB5E.EA3187D0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable I just installed Solaris 10 and failed to make my /var partition large = enough. I went ahead and unmounted the /var partition and ran the format = utility. I got the proper size I want, but I keep getting an error when = I try to label the disk. I am kind of new to Solaris. Can someone help = me out w/ the proper procedure I should be using. Error Message: format> label Error occurred with device i...

Running CGI through browser from local hard disk
Hi folks, this probably has a simple answer ... I'm new to Perl so please be gentle. :) I am trying to test what a browser would show when accessing a CGI script, but without going through an actual server. I have Perl running fine on the local machine (Win XP) and am working through some tutorials etc. But if I try to access the file through MSIE it runs the script from a command prompt rather than piping the result back to the browser. Is this possible to do without the actual server? (I intend to put the final working script onto a real server down the track, but for various reasons t...

NETAPP Filer "Disk shelf fault" Error
I have DATA ONTAP 7.0.6 on the filer. On the GUI, filer status is "Disk shelf fault" and I also see the following in the system log: Sun Oct 7 01:00:00 PDT [dev-filer02: monitor.shelf.fault:CRITICAL]: Fault reported on disk storage shelf attached to channel 0c. Please check fans, power, and temperature. When I physically check the filer, one of the shelf has the fault amber light on. Power, fans.... everythign seems ok. I cannot find much information on the internet on what to do in order to resolve the problem. Can someone give me advise on what should I do to st...

Problem extracting single files from a TELEDISK disk image
Fortunately I was able to write a double density boot disk for my Osborne 1 with my PC. Unfortunately all other disks I found are single density disks (also Teledisk images) and can't be written by a "normal" standard PC floppy controller. So it should be a good idea to extract the files from the teledisk images. BUT... how can be done this ? 22disk for example is NOT able to interpret diskette image files (instead, 22disk is only able to read from and write to a real disk drive). Is there any PC-based program able to interpret teledisk images to extract single files ? Reg...

newfs disk speed option
This week while perusing the newfs options from the man page, I came across an option, I believe it was -r, where you can give it the disk speed. Does this really have an affect on performance? The default was 3600rpm, which is way low for today's standards. Kevin ...

I need a floppy disk
A couple of days ago I found an Apple IIc computer, complete with keyboard and separate montior, in the garbage. Being an old Apple/Mac fan I naturally brought it home. It seems to work all righ, but off course I lack the 5.25 floppy disk from which it is supposed to boot. Anyone know the solution to this? Jan, Stockholm Chris Morse <chris@cosmicwolf.com> wrote in message news:<540rivk2aor5kl2poe3h2ssd8th1vgq1ed@4ax.com>... > On Sun, 3 Aug 2003 22:20:49 +0200, "John Smith" > <someone@microsoft.com> wrote: > > >A couple of days ago I ...

3 X 18 GB disks on same controller -need to rectify
Hello Sun Guys, Have a 440 with Solaris 10 on disk 1 (.c1t0d0 ) and disk2 and disk3 for Oracle (c1t2d0 and c1t3d0). These 3 disks are currently on the same disk controller.There are 2 controllers supplied with every 440. So I expect it would give much better performance if we had twice the controller bandwidth by using c1 for disk1 and c2 for disk 2 and 3, with no downside. The only thing is I dont know what is involved in changing the controller for disk 2 & 3. Could someone plz tell me (or point to the relevant docs). TIA Max On Thu, 26 Jun 2008 05:07:21 -0700, max.fontain wrote: &...

Sar doubt
Hi: Can you tell me if freemem in sar output is in KB, MB, pages or blocks ? SunOS bdsmgsfx01 5.8 Generic_107528-23 sun4u 12/01/07 00:00:00 freemem freeswap 00:05:00 2205009 66490835 00:10:00 2205144 66428668 I=B4d like convert freemem data in MB, how could I make this task ? Thank You in advance... On Dec 5, 1:42 pm, apogeusiste...@gmail.com wrote: > Hi: > > Can you tell me if freemem in sar output is in KB, MB, pages or > blocks ? > > SunOS bdsmgsfx01 5.8 Generic_107528-23 sun4u 12/01/07 > > 00:00:00 freemem freeswap > 00:05:00 2205009 66490835...

tomsrtbt linux on usb floppy disk
Some years ago there were a number of posts about how to get tomsrtbt linux working on a usb floppy disk. It is probably just history now, but for anyone who may still want to be able to do this, I have a working system which boots and runs from a usb floppy and includes all facilities including building itself on a usb floppy. Based on linux 2.2.21 and libc5 and with several newer versions of tools such as e2fsprogs 1.41.13 John Lumby On comp.os.linux.setup, johnlumby <johnlumby@hotmail.com> wrote: > Some years ago there were a number of posts about how to get tom...

minix3 for SATA hard disk? #2
I've a notebook with SATA hard disk. Will a new version supported SATA disk be released? ...

What type of disk is this?
Has anyone seen this diskette before: http://panks.tripod.com/greendisk.html I've had a few of these over the years, but haven't been able to ascertain the manufacturer. Is this a generic? Paul Its probably one of those watchamacallits that had 2 drives in one caseing. 1541 compatible and dos compatible for cbm. They were used at club meetings for disk copying on the fly. Kokomo Joe **************************************************** * Ham KH6JF AARS/MARS ABM6JF QCWA WW2 VET WD RADIO * * Army MARS State Coordinator for Hawaii * *****************...

FS: Indigo disk sled & 4.3Gb disk
For sale: 4.3Gb disk in a caddy. I'm told it's from an Indigo2 but am not certain. Disk: Quantum XP34300, SGI part number 041-0154-004 Caddy: 3.5" full-height, yellow eject lever, SCA connector, converts to 50 pin ribbon inside to connect to the drive. Visible part numbers: 013 8682 003 A, 040-8151-003 rev A Has a black bezel with "**********OPTION*********" label on it. Cannot test, so NOT guaranteed working. Asking UKP10/us$15 + shipping at cost. Please email: mike AT jasper DOT org DOT uk (the reply-to works.) -- (\__/) (='.'=) Th...

SN#23702 ZFS Encryption: What is on Disk ?
SYSTEM NEWS FOR SUN USERS Vol 154 Issue 1 2010-12-04 Article 23702 from section "SysAdmin's Section" What Is Encrypted (And What Is Not) In his blog ZFS Encryption: What Is on Disk? Darren Moffat explains that, in order to add encryption support to ZFS, it was necessary to allow a given ZFS pool to contain a mix of encrypted and cleartext datasets. In other words, on an encrypted ZFS dataset disk, not everything will be encrypted. Moffat outlines the data that will typically be cleartext: - ZFS pool layout ...

Wondering if the other Mastering Math disks are still out there
This is more a curiosity thing. Came out from MECC in the mid-80s. I've got these disks mostly off Asimov... 1. Early Addition 4. Space Subtraction 6. Multiplication Puzzles 7. Quotient Quest Worksheet Generator Diagnostic System I've also got these disks that I think were added later to the MM series (plus the old, pre-MM version of Early Addition which I cracked myself): Circus Math Addition Logician (These might be the missing 2 and 3, but wouldn't be compatible with the MM control system?) (I mighta cracked a Circus Math myself too, but it w...

Mac Disk Utility
I'm not aware of a decent disk utility for Mac since Norton Utilities 8.0 came out for OS 10.3 and under. Since Norton Utilities is not supporting any future Mac products, I am forced to find something else. Would anyone please recommend a disk utility that they have found particularly useful at fixing disk errors for 10.4 and up, and/or the new iMac with the Intel chips? Thanks in advance, JL On 2007-06-06 20:54:54 -0500, "Jlen7" <jlen7@yahoo.com> said: > I'm not aware of a decent disk utility for Mac since Norton Utilities 8.0 > came out for OS 10.3 a...

Re: ERROR: Utility file write failed. Probable disk full #3 651988
nmalgatti@YAHOO.COM wrote: >I am using SAS 9.1.* version of SAS on windows XP pro > >I am getting a strange error when i use PROC SQL with the large dataset( >say about 3.5 GB. it runs for 2 hrs and says > >"ERROR: Utility file write failed. Probable disk full condition." > >I checked with the work space allocation and changed it other folder then >TEMP folder ( coz Temp has some restriction on space). The same error >continues even after changing the option. You have already received some excellent advice. Follow it. The error you're getting is...

Laptop Hard disk speed
Hi, I am looking to buy a laptop with an 80 gig 4200 hard drive, would I find this hard disk very slow at 4200 rpm, my desktop has 7200 rpm, hard disk. Regards Mel.. In one word, yes <melh100@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:1129916642.908017.15810@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com... > Hi, I am looking to buy a laptop with an 80 gig 4200 hard drive, would > I find this hard disk very slow at 4200 rpm, my desktop has 7200 rpm, > hard disk. > Regards Mel.. > Yes, it will be slow. You could get a 5400rpm drive or a 7200rpm drive. melh100@hotmail.com wrote: > Hi, I...

RAID5 array replace SSA disk
Hi, We're having some problems with a pdisk in a RAID5 Array (SSA_DEVICE_ERROR, type 'perm'). The status of the array is still 'good', but we're replacing the disk anyway just in case. The 'SSA User and Maintenance Guide' has some good info, but there are a couple things which are not clear, maybe somebody can help us out with this? Here's the plan: Identify the pdisk (smit -> 'identify disks in an SSA Raid Array'). Remove the disk from the array (smit -> 'remove a disk from an SSA Raid Array'). After this, according to the manual i...

dssi disk
Hi I turned on my vax4300 after a long downtime and in horror I saw that one of my rf72 disks faultlight was solid red.So is there any thing I can do. /Niclas Get a vacuum cleaner. Unplug the VAX (stay grounded). Unplug all cables from all disks, terminators, and boards. Vacuum the plugs, disks, boards, sockets, terminators. Clean the edge connectors with alcohol wipes - don't touch them afterwards. Put the cables back on, re-seat them once or twice. Plug in the VAX. Lay out your anti-static mat. Kneel on it, facing Mecca (or the North Pole if you believe in Santa). ...

SN#21138 450 GB 15K RPM Disk Drive for the ST 9985V and ST 9990V
SYSTEM NEWS FOR SUN USERS Vol 131 Issue 2 2009-01-16 Article 21138 from section "Sun Disk" Fibre-Channel Disks Provide Increased Performance The new 450 GB 15K Fibre-Channel Disks provide increased performance levels in comparison to the currently offered 400GB 10K rpm disks and higher capacity than the current 300GB/15K rpm disks at excellent performance levels. Details at http://sun.systemnews.com/g?A=21138 Have a custom version of 'System News for Sun Users' delivered to you via email each week in text or HTML. Only the secti...

When do you have too little free disk space?
I have a user with a 16gb hard drive with 1.5gb free space. On the face of it, that seems sufficient. Her swap file is 768mb. The event viewer reports peroidic warnings, source Srv, that the C: disk is at or near capacity, you may need to delete some files. When I went to run defrag it reported that 9% of the hd was free, that defrag could access 2%, and needed 15% to run correctly. So I am wondering, how much space is considered too little? Certainly on this computer event viewer and defrag regard the 1.5gb as inusfficient, but is there a good rule of thumb? Thanks, Dave (I started ...

Disk Format
What does OS X do exactly when you format a disk with HFS+? In article <030120042303532119%jcarucci@yahoo.com>, Jason Carucci <jcarucci@yahoo.com> wrote: > What does OS X do exactly when you format a disk with HFS+? It writes a HFS+ filesystem structure on the disk in the partition you specify. Duh... What are you trying to understand or don't understand--the process of disk formatting and filesystem creation or something else? -- DeeDee, don't press that button! DeeDee! NO! Dee... I guess my real question is how does a HFS+ formatted disk differ from an...