Scribus vs. Adobe InDesign

Greetings.

I'm responsible for typesetting a newspaper, for which I have been using
Adobe InDesign 1.5 on MS-Windows.  I normally work on a SuSE 9.0 system, so
at this point working on the newspaper is the *only* reason I ever reboot
to Windows.

I recently discovered Scribus, a GPL'd desktop publishing package for GNU
Linux <http://web2.altmuehlnet.de/fschmid/>.  Has anyone had any experience
using this for production purposes?  How does it compare to InDesign?

Visit http://www.nothingisreal.com/tmp/ to get an idea of the design
complexity of the newspaper I work on.  If Scribus can make similar-looking
documents without too much more hassle than InDesign 1.5, then I'm willing
to devote the time to learning it.  Comments?

Regards,
Tristan

--
   _
  _V.-o  Tristan Miller [en,(fr,de,ia)]  ><  Space is limited

> I recently discovered Scribus, a GPL'd desktop publishing package for GNU
> Linux <http://web2.altmuehlnet.de/fschmid/>.  Has anyone had any experience
> using this for production purposes?  How does it compare to InDesign?

I have Scribus installed on my system and plan on using it in the near
future on a large project.  From the *little* I've used it so far and from
reading what others have said about the software it seems very worthy.

You might want to pose your question on the Scribus mailing list.
Development is ongoing.  The mailing list is fairly active.  The address
for subscribing is <Scribus-request@nashi.altmuehlnet.de>.

0
mlake1 (61)
12/29/2003 12:16:42 AM
On Mon, 29 Dec 2003 00:07:11 +0100, Tristan Miller wrote:

 > I'm responsible for typesetting a newspaper, for which I have been using
 > Adobe InDesign 1.5 on MS-Windows.  I normally work on a SuSE 9.0 system, so
 > at this point working on the newspaper is the *only* reason I ever reboot
 > to Windows.
 >
 > I recently discovered Scribus, a GPL'd desktop publishing package for GNU
 > Linux <http://web2.altmuehlnet.de/fschmid/>.  Has anyone had any experience
 > using this for production purposes?  How does it compare to InDesign?

I don't have any experience with Scribus but I know that it's only
recently reached version 1.x. I would guess that what it does, it
does well enough, but don't expect it to be comparable to an Adobe
application in terms of flexibility yet.

To avoid re-boots, think about using Wine or Win4Lin to run InDesign on
Linux until Scribus gets up to speed.

Bob T.
0
BobT (1484)
12/29/2003 3:26:06 AM
Greetings.

In article <slrnbuv7me.bnf.BobT@linus.cs.queensu.ca>, Bob Tennent wrote:
> I don't have any experience with Scribus but I know that it's only
> recently reached version 1.x. I would guess that what it does, it
> does well enough, but don't expect it to be comparable to an Adobe
> application in terms of flexibility yet.

Well, I don't need too much flexibility; the newspaper is of a fairly simple
design.

> To avoid re-boots, think about using Wine or Win4Lin to run InDesign on
> Linux until Scribus gets up to speed.

Yes, that had occurred to me, but unfortunately the Windows partition is
formatted with NTFS, making it impossible to use WINE on the native
partition.  (There is a recently released NTFS driver for Linux, Captive,
but it's still very much alpha code and has corrupted parts of my Windows
filesystem on more than one occasion.)  VMWare also didn't work with my
native XP installation, which is also officially listed as "unsupported".
:(

Regards,
Tristan

--
   _
  _V.-o  Tristan Miller [en,(fr,de,ia)]  ><  Space is limited
 / |`-'  -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=  <>  In a haiku, so it's hard
(7_\\    http://www.nothingisreal.com/   ><  To finish what you
0
psychonaut (536)
12/29/2003 12:33:28 PM
On Mon, 29 Dec 2003 13:33:28 +0100, Tristan Miller wrote:

 >> To avoid re-boots, think about using Wine or Win4Lin to run InDesign on
 >> Linux until Scribus gets up to speed.
 >
 > Yes, that had occurred to me, but unfortunately the Windows partition is
 > formatted with NTFS, making it impossible to use WINE on the native
 > partition.  (There is a recently released NTFS driver for Linux, Captive,
 > but it's still very much alpha code and has corrupted parts of my Windows
 > filesystem on more than one occasion.)  VMWare also didn't work with my
 > native XP installation, which is also officially listed as "unsupported".
 >:(

Why do you care about your existing XP installation if you only intend
to run InDesign? If InDesign runs on Win98, install Win4Lin and Win98 on
Linux and run InDesign there. You can surely copy data files from the
NTFS partition to the Linux partition without any risk of corruption.

Bob T.
0
BobT (1484)
12/29/2003 2:35:42 PM
Greetings.

In article <slrnbv0etu.ftb.BobT@linus.cs.queensu.ca>, Bob Tennent wrote:
> Why do you care about your existing XP installation if you only intend
> to run InDesign? If InDesign runs on Win98, install Win4Lin and Win98 on
> Linux and run InDesign there.

I'm trying to figure out a way to do DTP that does *not* involve using
Windows, not one that involves me purchasing yet another version of it.

> You can surely copy data files from the
> NTFS partition to the Linux partition without any risk of corruption.

Not really; I'm working on a laptop with limited space.  If I could find a
(free) way to resize the NTFS partition to give more room to my Linux
installation, I would do so.  However, the only tool I'm aware of which
resizes NTFS is Partition Magic.

Regards,
Tristan

--
   _
  _V.-o  Tristan Miller [en,(fr,de,ia)]  ><  Space is limited
 / |`-'  -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=  <>  In a haiku, so it's hard
(7_\\    http://www.nothingisreal.com/   ><  To finish what you
0
psychonaut (536)
12/29/2003 2:54:44 PM
In article <8266791.XKs0NubXmz@ID-187157.news.dfncis.de>,
Tristan Miller  <psychonaut@nothingisreal.com> wrote:
-Greetings.
-
[...]

Well that's one place here that I can actually help. There is a tool called
ntfsresize and it'll do exactly what you need.

Here's the FAQ for it:

http://mlf.linux.rulez.org/mlf/ezaz/ntfsresize.html

BAJ
0
byron (216)
12/29/2003 5:11:20 PM
Greetings.

In article <bspn7o$i8q@cleon.cc.gatech.edu>, Byron A Jeff wrote:
> Well that's one place here that I can actually help. There is a tool
> called ntfsresize and it'll do exactly what you need.

Ah, many thanks.  I had previously searched for something like this, but
didn't come up with the program you recommend.  I'll certainly try it out!

Regards,
Tristan

--
   _
  _V.-o  Tristan Miller [en,(fr,de,ia)]  ><  Space is limited
 / |`-'  -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=  <>  In a haiku, so it's hard
(7_\\    http://www.nothingisreal.com/   ><  To finish what you
0
psychonaut (536)
12/29/2003 6:12:41 PM

Gun control: the theory that a woman found raped and strangled in an
alley is morally superior to a woman explaining why her attacker got a
fatal bullet wound.
0
warlock (9522)
12/30/2003 9:06:10 AM
Greetings.

In article <2pr7c1-noe.ln1@grendel.myth>, Jim Richardson wrote:
>> Visit http://www.nothingisreal.com/tmp/ to get an idea of the design
>> complexity of the newspaper I work on.  If Scribus can make
>> similar-looking documents without too much more hassle than InDesign 1.5,
>> then I'm willing to devote the time to learning it.  Comments?
>
> Looks like a simple enough newsletter. Personally, I'd us LaTeX for it,
> but then, I am lazy :)

If you can find out a way to do this in LaTeX, by all means let me know.
AFAIK LaTeX has no support for splitting articles across non-contiguous
pages.  Various other things are also problematic (i.e., doable but
inconveniently so), such as flowing text around nonrectangular figures.  In
fact, a few days ago when I brought up the idea of laying out the
newsletter with LaTeX in comp.text.tex, I was told by the local wizards to
forget about it and use a GUI-based DTP package instead.

> If your laziness isn't of that nature, then Scribus can replicate the
> newsletter example you gave. If it is representative of your needs, then
> Scribus can handle it. Along with the export to pdf.

That's good to hear.  I'm getting articles for the next issue in a few
weeks, so in the meantime I'll install Scribus and see if I can reconstruct
the layout from previous issues.

Regards,
Tristan

--
   _
  _V.-o  Tristan Miller [en,(fr,de,ia)]  ><  Space is limited
 / |`-'  -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=  <>  In a haiku, so it's hard
(7_\\    http://www.nothingisreal.com/   ><  To finish what you
0
psychonaut (536)

OS Smackdown: Linux vs OS X vs Vista vs XP
Mount your soapboxes fanboys of all denominations - It's playtime... OS Smackdown: Linux vs. Mac OS X vs. Windows Vista vs. Windows XP Since the dawn of time - or, at least, the dawn of personal computers - the holy wars over desktop operating systems have raged, with each faction proclaiming the unrivaled superiority of its chosen OS and the vile loathsomeness of all others. No matter how fierce the language or convincing the arguments, however, these battles began to seem somewhat irrelevant to regular working stiffs. While Mac OS, OS/2, Linux and many other desktop operating systems...

OS Smackdown: Linux vs. Mac OS X vs. Vista vs. XP
OS Smackdown: Linux vs. Mac OS X vs. Vista vs. XP Michael DeAgonia, Preston Gralla, David Ramel and James Turner, Computerworld http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/147262/os_smackdown_linux_vs_mac_os_x_vs_vista_vs_xp.html In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Ablang <ron916@gmail.com> wrote on Fri, 20 Jun 2008 19:48:30 -0700 (PDT) <1fc9ff8c-d6e9-486b-956b-a34f943d8699@m3g2000hsc.googlegroups.com>: > OS Smackdown: Linux vs. Mac OS X vs. Vista vs. XP > > Michael DeAgonia, Preston Gralla, David Ramel and James Turner, > Computerworld > > http://www.pcworld.com/bu...

QuarkXPress 6.1 vs Adobe InDesign CS vs. Adobe Illustrator CS
I just posted a msg. asking about books for InDesign CS but as well have one other question. I have been looking for a page layout program for some time and mostly have decided on InDesign from the research I've done. It seems that QuarkXpress is the market leader by far (I read a year ago it was 90% market share, not sure about it now). InDesign though seems to have surpassed it in the features now and as well seems to be a faster program. I get the idea more people use QuarkXpress but as well it seems InDesign is more the future and the fact I use Adobe Photoshop heavily and will be us...

Mac OS vs. Windows vs. Linux
I reviewed these three operating systems for six types of computer users individually. Ubuntu is the winner for most user groups: http://yuzgen.com/?p=156&lang=en by In article <74603a0c-5c6b-41df-9feb-e95bb5ae8244@q16g2000yqq.googlegroups.com>, yuzgen <yuzgen@gmail.com> wrote: > I reviewed these three operating systems for six types of computer > users individually. Ubuntu is the winner for most user groups: > http://yuzgen.com/?p=156&lang=en From that article: Mac OS for girls: Please don’t get me wrong. This was the best single word to define naive...

Windows vs. Linux vs. OS X from CIO
An article about John Halamka, the CIO of the Harvard Medical School and CareGroup which runs the Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center. http://www.cio.com/article/print/41140 "John Halamka has a penchant for experiments with new technologies. In 2004, the now 44-year-old CIO of the Harvard Medical School and CareGroup, which runs the Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center, who is also a practicing emergency room physician, was one of the first people to have an RFID chip containing a link to his medical records implanted in his body (it's near his right triceps.) Next April, he...

Linux vs OS X vs "Other alternitives"...
Based on: Torvalds pans Apple with 'utter crap' putdown http://www.smh.com.au/news/technology/utter-crap-torvalds-pans-apple/2008/02/05/1202090393959.html Linux vs OS X vs "Other alternatives"... I assume they both do it =================== CARDINAL SIN: Linux and OS X both not only run drivers and the file system in the kernel privilege space, MINUX and QNX typically don't do this. As a general rule, the FS and Drivers and networking should run at 'privileged user' level and not system privilege (aka 'su') level. The troika of FS, Drivers and networ...

BBC: Linux vs. Mac OS X vs. Windows Vista ..
"As part of our launch coverage we are looking for a committed Vista user - you are probably someone who has been trialling Vista in beta or using it for your business - as well as a passionate Mac OS X user and a devotee of Linux," http://macdailynews.com/index.php/weblog/comments/12439/ Doug Mentohl wrote: > "As part of our launch coverage we are looking for a committed Vista > user - you are probably someone who has been trialling Vista in beta or > using it for your business - as well as a passionate Mac OS X user and > a devotee of Linux," > > htt...

[News] In E-Reader Arena, It's Just Linux vs Linux vs Linux

INSPECT: OS/VS vs. IBM Enterprise COBOL for z/OS and OS/390 3.2.0
All righty... as mentioned the other day I coded: 01 CHAR-1 PIC X. 01 CHAR-80 PIC X(80). .... PROCEDURE DIVISION. PERFORM INSPECT-1. PERFORM INSPECT-80. GOBACK. INSPECT-1. INSPECT CHAR-1 REPLACING ALL 'a' BY 'A'. INSPECT-80. INSPECT CHAR-80 REPLACING ALL 'a' BY 'A' ALL 'b' B...

linux os vs vista
SEXY GIRL hai.....friends and lovers....am priya.... your favorite softwares and any can take my website.... chat russian girls,,,love and romance girl...SEXY GIRLS ....for contact....MY WEBSITE.... ...love is true....and love make a life is beautiful....and enjoy the life!!!!!!1 am hot sexy girl for personal..... contact new REAL friends!!!!!!!!!!!!!! my full details and my personal phone number see my website!!!!!!for free.... ARE YOU FUCK ME?????......MM...WAITING.....please contact MY WEBSITE!!!!!!!!!!! ************************************ http://biodiversi.50webs.com *****...

os/2 vs. linux
I just saw an ad that IBM ran during the USOpen to promote linux. And .... it just so happens that I have been spending the past several days downloading and burning linux isos containing several variants of the operating system. I guess I must be missing something, because frankly, most of it is crap. Is IBM nuts? Why don't they invest in the operating system that they own and make it the premier system? Their must be something to linux, but so far, I can't find it. The only variant that I was able to get to do a complete install was turbo linux. I barely squeezed it ...

Performance of OS X vs Linux
I understand that OS X in based on Unix, therefore, would it require similar resources as a Linux Distro? In article <0Sf1f.5006$y_1.3334@edtnps89>, "Fred" <Fred@view.net> wrote: > I understand that OS X in based on Unix, therefore, would it require similar > resources as a Linux Distro? Well, yes and no. While the networking parts share a BSD heritage, the kernels and imaging systems are vastly different. And it all depends on what you mean by "similar resources." At first approximation, yes: You can get Yellow Dog Linux which runs on the exac...

LINUX vs. MAC OS X?
This is NOT a holy war, I just want those who had them both (Linux and Mac OS X) in a PowerMac to tell me which one they "feel" faster, more responsive, and more efficient with CPU/RAM/Disk. On Sun, 07 Mar 2004 15:27:27 -0500, AB PP wrote: > This is NOT a holy war, I just want those who had them both (Linux and > Mac OS X) in a PowerMac to tell me which one they "feel" faster, more > responsive, and more efficient with CPU/RAM/Disk. On my 266MHz iMac with 192MB of RAM, Debian GNU/Linux 3.0 definitely feels faster than Mac OS X 10.3. This effect is slim when I u...

Linux vs OS X future
When you go to marketshare, <http://marketshare.hitslink.com/operating-system-market-share.aspx?qprid=8> you learn that: Windows has 88.14% market share Mac, 9.77% Linux, 0.90% Where is this survey made? Hitslink says: "The websites in our population represent almost all countries on earth." See: <http://marketshare.hitslink.com> (About Our Market Share Statistics) For North America, 10% would be a fair estimate. Close to 10% of internet users in the world, in China, India, Russia and South America is err... kinda doubtful. Maybe Hitslink should write: "The...

Web resources about - Scribus vs. Adobe InDesign - comp.os.linux.misc

Adobe InDesign - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Adobe InDesign is a desktop publishing software application produced by Adobe Systems . It can be used to create works such as posters, flyers, ...

Create an easy Netflix style popup for a PDF in Adobe InDesign - YouTube
InDesign CS5+ allows us to add lots of great functionality to a PDF file to make it interactive. In this video tip, I'll show you how to show ...

iBooks Author updated with ePub and InDesign importer, new templates, and more
... Author for OS X Yosemite and added support for new file formats and other enhancements. First among these is the ability to import Adobe InDesign ...

Adobe acknowledges InDesign crashes with 2012 MacBooks
Users running Apple's latest MacBooks featuring Intel Ivy Bridge processors are experiencing system crashes with Adobe's popular InDesign software. ...

Adobe provides fix for InDesign crashes on new MacBooks
Adobe has offered a workaround to this issue by reimplementing components that Apple has removed from its APIs.

Master The Art Of Creative Page Layout With The Adobe InDesign CS6 Master Class
Have you ever wanted to use Adobe InDesign better than ever before? If so, this Cult of Mac Deals offer is going to be right up your alley. ...

Briefly: Kobo E-Reader, InDesign PDF2DTP, PowerSkin
The Kobo e-book reader app has received an upgrade, adding multiple language support. In addition to English, the app now supports French, Spanish, ...

Adobe InDesign Continues To Define Desktop Publishing
Desktop publishing used to be the primary reason for owning a PC—it was a business in and of itself. I know I am dating myself, but I remember ...

PicMonkey appoints Adobe InDesign co-founder as VP and chief technical officer
... of PopCap Games and served as vice president of core technologies at Adobe, where he co-founded Adobe’s professional layout application InDesign. ...

Hands on with Adobe InDesign, January 2014 edition
... back into using Adobe Creative Cloud. While there are some tools ( Pages $20) that will meet most users’ needs for page layout, I think InDesign ...