Scribus vs. Adobe InDesign

  • Permalink
  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow


Greetings.

I'm responsible for typesetting a newspaper, for which I have been using
Adobe InDesign 1.5 on MS-Windows.  I normally work on a SuSE 9.0 system, so
at this point working on the newspaper is the *only* reason I ever reboot
to Windows.

I recently discovered Scribus, a GPL'd desktop publishing package for GNU
Linux <http://web2.altmuehlnet.de/fschmid/>.  Has anyone had any experience
using this for production purposes?  How does it compare to InDesign?

Visit http://www.nothingisreal.com/tmp/ to get an idea of the design
complexity of the newspaper I work on.  If Scribus can make similar-looking
documents without too much more hassle than InDesign 1.5, then I'm willing
to devote the time to learning it.  Comments?

Regards,
Tristan

-- 
   _
  _V.-o  Tristan Miller [en,(fr,de,ia)]  ><  Space is limited
 / |`-'  -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=  <>  In a haiku, so it's hard
(7_\\    http://www.nothingisreal.com/   ><  To finish what you
0
Reply psychonaut (536) 12/28/2003 11:07:11 PM

See related articles to this posting

> I recently discovered Scribus, a GPL'd desktop publishing package for GNU
> Linux <http://web2.altmuehlnet.de/fschmid/>.  Has anyone had any experience
> using this for production purposes?  How does it compare to InDesign?

I have Scribus installed on my system and plan on using it in the near
future on a large project.  From the *little* I've used it so far and from
reading what others have said about the software it seems very worthy.

You might want to pose your question on the Scribus mailing list.
Development is ongoing.  The mailing list is fairly active.  The address
for subscribing is <Scribus-request@nashi.altmuehlnet.de>.

0
Reply mlake1 (61) 12/29/2003 12:16:42 AM

On Mon, 29 Dec 2003 00:07:11 +0100, Tristan Miller wrote:

 > I'm responsible for typesetting a newspaper, for which I have been using
 > Adobe InDesign 1.5 on MS-Windows.  I normally work on a SuSE 9.0 system, so
 > at this point working on the newspaper is the *only* reason I ever reboot
 > to Windows.
 > 
 > I recently discovered Scribus, a GPL'd desktop publishing package for GNU
 > Linux <http://web2.altmuehlnet.de/fschmid/>.  Has anyone had any experience
 > using this for production purposes?  How does it compare to InDesign?

I don't have any experience with Scribus but I know that it's only
recently reached version 1.x. I would guess that what it does, it
does well enough, but don't expect it to be comparable to an Adobe
application in terms of flexibility yet.

To avoid re-boots, think about using Wine or Win4Lin to run InDesign on
Linux until Scribus gets up to speed.

Bob T.
0
Reply BobT (1484) 12/29/2003 3:26:06 AM

Greetings.

In article <slrnbuv7me.bnf.BobT@linus.cs.queensu.ca>, Bob Tennent wrote:
> I don't have any experience with Scribus but I know that it's only
> recently reached version 1.x. I would guess that what it does, it
> does well enough, but don't expect it to be comparable to an Adobe
> application in terms of flexibility yet.

Well, I don't need too much flexibility; the newspaper is of a fairly simple
design.

> To avoid re-boots, think about using Wine or Win4Lin to run InDesign on
> Linux until Scribus gets up to speed.

Yes, that had occurred to me, but unfortunately the Windows partition is
formatted with NTFS, making it impossible to use WINE on the native
partition.  (There is a recently released NTFS driver for Linux, Captive,
but it's still very much alpha code and has corrupted parts of my Windows
filesystem on more than one occasion.)  VMWare also didn't work with my
native XP installation, which is also officially listed as "unsupported".
:(

Regards,
Tristan

-- 
   _
  _V.-o  Tristan Miller [en,(fr,de,ia)]  ><  Space is limited
 / |`-'  -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=  <>  In a haiku, so it's hard
(7_\\    http://www.nothingisreal.com/   ><  To finish what you
0
Reply psychonaut (536) 12/29/2003 12:33:28 PM

On Mon, 29 Dec 2003 13:33:28 +0100, Tristan Miller wrote:

 >> To avoid re-boots, think about using Wine or Win4Lin to run InDesign on
 >> Linux until Scribus gets up to speed.
 > 
 > Yes, that had occurred to me, but unfortunately the Windows partition is
 > formatted with NTFS, making it impossible to use WINE on the native
 > partition.  (There is a recently released NTFS driver for Linux, Captive,
 > but it's still very much alpha code and has corrupted parts of my Windows
 > filesystem on more than one occasion.)  VMWare also didn't work with my
 > native XP installation, which is also officially listed as "unsupported".
 >:(

Why do you care about your existing XP installation if you only intend
to run InDesign? If InDesign runs on Win98, install Win4Lin and Win98 on
Linux and run InDesign there. You can surely copy data files from the
NTFS partition to the Linux partition without any risk of corruption.

Bob T.
0
Reply BobT (1484) 12/29/2003 2:35:42 PM

Greetings.

In article <slrnbv0etu.ftb.BobT@linus.cs.queensu.ca>, Bob Tennent wrote:
> Why do you care about your existing XP installation if you only intend
> to run InDesign? If InDesign runs on Win98, install Win4Lin and Win98 on
> Linux and run InDesign there.

I'm trying to figure out a way to do DTP that does *not* involve using
Windows, not one that involves me purchasing yet another version of it.

> You can surely copy data files from the
> NTFS partition to the Linux partition without any risk of corruption.

Not really; I'm working on a laptop with limited space.  If I could find a
(free) way to resize the NTFS partition to give more room to my Linux
installation, I would do so.  However, the only tool I'm aware of which
resizes NTFS is Partition Magic.

Regards,
Tristan

-- 
   _
  _V.-o  Tristan Miller [en,(fr,de,ia)]  ><  Space is limited
 / |`-'  -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=  <>  In a haiku, so it's hard
(7_\\    http://www.nothingisreal.com/   ><  To finish what you
0
Reply psychonaut (536) 12/29/2003 2:54:44 PM

In article <8266791.XKs0NubXmz@ID-187157.news.dfncis.de>,
Tristan Miller  <psychonaut@nothingisreal.com> wrote:
-Greetings.
-
-In article <slrnbv0etu.ftb.BobT@linus.cs.queensu.ca>, Bob Tennent wrote:
-> Why do you care about your existing XP installation if you only intend
-> to run InDesign? If InDesign runs on Win98, install Win4Lin and Win98 on
-> Linux and run InDesign there.
-
-I'm trying to figure out a way to do DTP that does *not* involve using
-Windows, not one that involves me purchasing yet another version of it.
-
-> You can surely copy data files from the
-> NTFS partition to the Linux partition without any risk of corruption.
-
-Not really; I'm working on a laptop with limited space.  If I could find a
-(free) way to resize the NTFS partition to give more room to my Linux
-installation, I would do so.  However, the only tool I'm aware of which
-resizes NTFS is Partition Magic.

Well that's one place here that I can actually help. There is a tool called
ntfsresize and it'll do exactly what you need.

Here's the FAQ for it:

http://mlf.linux.rulez.org/mlf/ezaz/ntfsresize.html

BAJ
0
Reply byron (216) 12/29/2003 5:11:20 PM

Greetings.

In article <bspn7o$i8q@cleon.cc.gatech.edu>, Byron A Jeff wrote:
> Well that's one place here that I can actually help. There is a tool
> called ntfsresize and it'll do exactly what you need.

Ah, many thanks.  I had previously searched for something like this, but
didn't come up with the program you recommend.  I'll certainly try it out!

Regards,
Tristan

-- 
   _
  _V.-o  Tristan Miller [en,(fr,de,ia)]  ><  Space is limited
 / |`-'  -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=  <>  In a haiku, so it's hard
(7_\\    http://www.nothingisreal.com/   ><  To finish what you
0
Reply psychonaut (536) 12/29/2003 6:12:41 PM

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1

["Followup-To:" header set to comp.os.linux.misc.]
On Mon, 29 Dec 2003 00:07:11 +0100,
 Tristan Miller <psychonaut@nothingisreal.com> wrote:
> Greetings.
>
> I'm responsible for typesetting a newspaper, for which I have been using
> Adobe InDesign 1.5 on MS-Windows.  I normally work on a SuSE 9.0 system, so
> at this point working on the newspaper is the *only* reason I ever reboot
> to Windows.
>
> I recently discovered Scribus, a GPL'd desktop publishing package for GNU
> Linux <http://web2.altmuehlnet.de/fschmid/>.  Has anyone had any experience
> using this for production purposes?  How does it compare to InDesign?
>
> Visit http://www.nothingisreal.com/tmp/ to get an idea of the design
> complexity of the newspaper I work on.  If Scribus can make similar-looking
> documents without too much more hassle than InDesign 1.5, then I'm willing
> to devote the time to learning it.  Comments?
>
> Regards,
> Tristan
>


Looks like a simple enough newsletter. Personally, I'd us LaTeX for it,
but then, I am lazy :) 

If your laziness isn't of that nature, then Scribus can replicate the
newsletter example you gave. If it is representative of your needs, then
Scribus can handle it. Along with the export to pdf. 

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v1.2.3 (GNU/Linux)

iD8DBQE/8UACd90bcYOAWPYRAgOXAJoCDVGz6WPym2LSlTnlAvc3xze9jQCfVZ7d
8NED8mZMwhwXwBUEEZLB7yU=
=2kuA
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

-- 
Jim Richardson     http://www.eskimo.com/~warlock
Gun control: the theory that a woman found raped and strangled in an
alley is morally superior to a woman explaining why her attacker got a
fatal bullet wound.
0
Reply warlock (9522) 12/30/2003 9:06:10 AM

Greetings.

In article <2pr7c1-noe.ln1@grendel.myth>, Jim Richardson wrote:
>> Visit http://www.nothingisreal.com/tmp/ to get an idea of the design
>> complexity of the newspaper I work on.  If Scribus can make
>> similar-looking documents without too much more hassle than InDesign 1.5,
>> then I'm willing to devote the time to learning it.  Comments?
> 
> Looks like a simple enough newsletter. Personally, I'd us LaTeX for it,
> but then, I am lazy :)

If you can find out a way to do this in LaTeX, by all means let me know. 
AFAIK LaTeX has no support for splitting articles across non-contiguous
pages.  Various other things are also problematic (i.e., doable but
inconveniently so), such as flowing text around nonrectangular figures.  In
fact, a few days ago when I brought up the idea of laying out the
newsletter with LaTeX in comp.text.tex, I was told by the local wizards to
forget about it and use a GUI-based DTP package instead.

> If your laziness isn't of that nature, then Scribus can replicate the
> newsletter example you gave. If it is representative of your needs, then
> Scribus can handle it. Along with the export to pdf.

That's good to hear.  I'm getting articles for the next issue in a few
weeks, so in the meantime I'll install Scribus and see if I can reconstruct
the layout from previous issues.

Regards,
Tristan

-- 
   _
  _V.-o  Tristan Miller [en,(fr,de,ia)]  ><  Space is limited
 / |`-'  -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=  <>  In a haiku, so it's hard
(7_\\    http://www.nothingisreal.com/   ><  To finish what you
0
Reply psychonaut (536) 12/30/2003 5:59:45 PM
comp.os.linux.misc 33315 articles. 19 followers. Post

9 Replies
260 Views

Similar Articles

[PageSpeed] 31

  • Permalink
  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow


Reply:

Similar Artilces:

QuarkXPress 6.1 vs Adobe InDesign CS vs. Adobe Illustrator CS
I just posted a msg. asking about books for InDesign CS but as well have one other question. I have been looking for a page layout program for some time and mostly have decided on InDesign from the research I've done. It seems that QuarkXpress is the market leader by far (I read a year ago it was 90% market share, not sure about it now). InDesign though seems to have surpassed it in the features now and as well seems to be a faster program. I get the idea more people use QuarkXpress but as well it seems InDesign is more the future and the fact I use Adobe Photoshop heavily and will be us...

Adobe InDesign CS3 vs. iWork Pages '08
I decided, for reasons of curiosity, to go through the steps of recreating in Pages a newsletter that had been prepared in InDesign. Much to my surprise I'm finding that all-in-all Pages is a very capable program with a user interface that, at least in my mind, is more straight-forward and less obtuse than that for InDesign. At first I strongly missed the ability to create a layout grid as I normally do in InDesign, but as time moved on this missing ability diminished in importance. I guess familiarity with a product strongly influences how you work with that product. As things no...

Adobe Acrobat vs Adobe Reader
What is the difference between the two? Norm wrote: > What is the difference between the two? > Comparable to the difference between marriage and courtship. Or like the difference between a trap and the bait. Norm wrote: > What is the difference between the two? http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/matrix.html Ralf ...

Quark 4 vs 6 vs InDesign stability......
If trying to do a cost-benefit analysis on the relative merits of Quark in 9 and X, and InDesign. So you use Quark a lot. Its the first program you open when you start up. You import PDF, TIFFS, .docs, and JPGs, you auto-activate your fonts. Document are normally more than 20 pages. You're hardcore. How often a day will Quark crash on you? I'd like to know what OS , what version of Quark you use, if you work from a server, if so what the server? do you copy files to the desktop, then move back to the server? The reasoning behind this is I am trying to discover if the crashes we have...

Adobe Indesign
Does anyone know how I can import Adobe Indesign CS's files in Adobe InDesign 2 ??? It's a big problem for me because All time I've used Adobe InDesign CS and I've created many files in it. Five Days later I got Adobe InDesign 2 CE which is in My language, and you know I can;t open my files which I've created in InDesign CS :( I loked for special plug-ins on all site I know but i didn;t find it. eNN Not possible. Adobe tried to make a feature allowing downsaving, but found it was impossible. You can try exporting your text as tagged text then reimport it into id2, ...

InDesign: Mac vs PC (was Quark: Mac vs PC)
As I've pointed out to the employee who uses Quark on a Mac at the nonprofit, it's possible that she doesn't use enough of the features of Quark to test its limitations, whether Mac or PC. What about InDesign? If she's not using the wide range of features, including those which make it superior to Quark, does it matter on which platform she uses it? Is it any more difficult to learn than Quark? -- Bob Ball If you want to think positive thoughts, surround yourself with positive people. If you want to email me, eliminate the negative. ...

Best book for Adobe InDesign CS and Adobe Acrobat PDF
I want to purchase a book most of all for Adobe InDesign CS and Adobe Acrobat PDF. I am a beginner so have little knowledge of these programs but do in general have computer knowledge so I need something that's for a beginner but as well something that can teach me advanced use as well. Any suggestions? Real World ID CS. "MarkW" <markwco*remove to reply*@comcast.net> wrote in message news:0ulll05gqhm5mfvi4g0i2d291qgf4c78dv@4ax.com... > I want to purchase a book most of all for Adobe InDesign CS and Adobe > Acrobat PDF. I am a beginner so have little knowledge of...

CorelDraw Graphics Suite 12 [3 CDs], ADOBE CREATIVE SUITE PREMIUM INTERNAL [5 CDs] (WIN/MAC), Adobe InDesign CS PageMaker Edition (c) Adobe Systems [2 CDs], Addons, Plugins,
CorelDraw Graphics Suite 12 [3 CDs], ADOBE CREATIVE SUITE PREMIUM INTERNAL [5 CDs] (WIN/MAC), Adobe InDesign CS PageMaker Edition (c) Adobe Systems [2 CDs], Addons, Plugins, - new ! 11/Aug/2004 Adobe InDesign CS PageMaker Edition (c) Adobe Systems [2 CDs] ADOBE CREATIVE SUITE PREMIUM INTERNAL [5 CDs] (WIN/MAC) CD NR 13 923 SN:1131-1126-1139-6167-4149-2097 1033-4128-7217-4476-2131-6373 CorelDraw Graphics Suite 12 [3 CDs] Serial: DR12WEX-1504397-KTY 14 710 for 16,000 more CDs, please send e-mail, astra35@freemail.gr, a...

Abobe programs MIDDLE EAST 'ME' Arabic / Hebrew ... ENABLED, ADOBE CREATIVE SUITE PREMIUM INTERNAL [5 CDs] (WIN/MAC), Adobe InDesign CS PageMaker Edition (c) Adobe Systems [2 CDs], Quark Xpress v6.1,
Abobe programs MIDDLE EAST 'ME' Arabic / Hebrew ... ENABLED, ADOBE CREATIVE SUITE PREMIUM INTERNAL [5 CDs] (WIN/MAC), Adobe InDesign CS PageMaker Edition (c) Adobe Systems [2 CDs], Quark Xpress v6.1, CorelDraw Graphics Suite 12 [3 CDs], Addons, Extensions, Plugins, Gallery(s), - new ! week 42/2004 Adobe.InDesign.CS.v3.0.ME.Incl.Keygen .ME. = MIDDLE EAST = Arabic / Hebrew Adobe.Illustrator.CS.v11.0.ME.Incl.Keygen .ME. = MIDDLE EAST = Arabic / Hebrew week 37/2004 Adobe_Graphics_Server_v2.1_incl_KeyGen 11/Aug/2004 Adobe InDesign CS PageMaker Edition (...