sendmail.sendmail?

I'm setting up a newly configured server from the hosting provider, and the
sendmail file is in

/usr/lib/sendmail.sendmail

I'm not sure why sendmail.sendmail is repeating.  Is there some
configuration remaining or do I just need to rename the file to sendmail?

Thanks

0
noemail485 (13)

Dan DeLion <noemail@northpole.nowhere> wrote:
> I'm setting up a newly configured server from the hosting provider, and the
> sendmail file is in

> /usr/lib/sendmail.sendmail

> I'm not sure why sendmail.sendmail is repeating.  Is there some
> configuration remaining or do I just need to rename the file to sendmail?

> Thanks

Actually, if your setup is similar to mine, the sendmail binary
is in /usr/sbin/sendmail.  I have the /usr/lib/sendmail.sendmail too.

I never did anything with it though.  Not sure what it's for.

Doug

--------
Senior UNIX Admin
O'Leary Computer Enterprises
dkoleary@attbi.com (w) 630-904-6098 (c) 630-248-2749
resume:  http://home.attbi.com/~dkoleary/resume.html
0
dkoleary (49)
9/12/2003 6:56:51 PM
dkoleary@attbi.com wrote:
> Dan DeLion <noemail@northpole.nowhere> wrote:
> > I'm setting up a newly configured server from the hosting provider, and the
> > sendmail file is in

> > /usr/lib/sendmail.sendmail

> > I'm not sure why sendmail.sendmail is repeating.  Is there some
> > configuration remaining or do I just need to rename the file to sendmail?

> > Thanks

> Actually, if your setup is similar to mine, the sendmail binary
> is in /usr/sbin/sendmail.  I have the /usr/lib/sendmail.sendmail too.

> I never did anything with it though.  Not sure what it's for.

Sounds as if you'd run RH, if you take a closer look:

$ ls -al /usr/sbin/sendmail*
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root           21 Mar 16 00:33 /usr/sbin/sendmail -> /etc/alternatives/mta
-rwxr-sr-x    1 root     smmsp      704770 Mar 31 00:58 /usr/sbin/sendmail.sendmail
$ ls -al /etc/alternatives/mta
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root           27 Mar 31 01:00 /etc/alternatives/mta -> /usr/sbin/sendmail.sendmail

$ rpm -qf /usr/sbin/sendmail.sendmail
sendmail-8.12.9-1.73

It's AFAIR used to switch MTA via 'setup'.

--
Michael Heiming - RHCE

inconvenience, but I get tons of SPAM
0
USENET22 (5551)
9/12/2003 7:43:45 PM
"d" == dkoleary@attbi.com <dkoleary@attbi.com>:
d> Actually, if your setup is similar to mine, the sendmail binary
d> is in /usr/sbin/sendmail.  I have the /usr/lib/sendmail.sendmail too.
d>
d> I never did anything with it though.  Not sure what it's for.

You are supposed to tell all your MUA programs to use /usr/sbin/sendmail,
which is a link to the real sendmail program (eg. original sendmail,
qmail's sendmail etc).

If/when you decide to switch MTA's and sendmail functionality is then
provided by some other program, all you have to do is update the link,
instead of reconfiguring all the MUA's.

0
chbounce (1)