Set up Slingbox type system

You can set up a home media server to be accessed from anywhere.
The requirements are:
1. high speed internet connection at both ends.
2. At the home end, configure the server for remote ssh access
   using port forwarding on your router.
3. On the laptop install an sshfs client.

Now for some details. I will assume your home network LAN is
configured for addresses like 192.168.0.xx, with your router
being 192.168.0.1

It will help if you configure your home server with a fixed
IP address, say 192.168.0.32

Enable Port Forwarding:
  Direct your browser to your router. In my example you
  go to 192.168.0.1
  Browse around the WAN settings to find port-forwarding
  settings and set some port (default 22) to the LAN
  address of your home server.

Start the sshd daemon on your home server if it isn't
already running.

Verify that you can ssh into your home server without
password from your laptop. You must send your public
key from the laptop over to the home server. Under
linux you use a command like this:
ssh-copy-id -i ~/.ssh/id_rsa.pub 192.168.1.32

The 192.168.0.xyz addresses on your LAN mean nothing
to the outside world. Now you have to find the address
of your LAN as seen by the outside world. You can find
your WAN address by going to showmyip.com, or by
the linux command:
echo "GET /" | nc icanhazip.com 80

Set up samba sharing on your home server. If you have
a home server you probably have already done this.

I will assume the publicly shared directory is /samba

Remember this IP address, it is what you will use
to access your home server when you are away.

I will assume your WAN address is 10.0.0.148
This number does not correspond to any real WAN
address.

Finally install sshfs on your system. For a 64 bit
Slackware linux system I installed sshfs-fuse-2.8-x86_64-1_slonly.txz

Google informs me that there is an sshfs client for Windows 7+,
but you will have to find and install that on your own.

On my laptop I made a directory /cifs to contain the
public home directory of your server.

When you are away from home, you execute a command like
this on the laptop:

sshfs -p PORTNUM 10.0.0.148:/samba /cifs

PORTNUM is the incoming port you directed to the internal
port 22 (ssh) back when you set up the port forwarding.

You can omit -p PORTNUM if you have directed external
port 22. 10.0.0.148 is your real WAN address as given
by showmyip.com, /samba is the public directory of
your samba shares and /cifs is the mountpoint for the
shared directory.

Now you can navigate around the directory /cifs and
play music, watch movies, read books, whatever you
have implemented on your server.

I have watched movies and streamed music from servers
set up by friends 5 miles and 120 miles away.

0
root