setup problem using usb floppy drive

Hi, everyone
I'm trying to install debian to old sony vaio PCG-Z505SX notebook which
has no bootable cd-rom drive.
So, I'm installing debian with USB floppy drive.
When I setup debian using installing diskette, it displays following
messages in setup procedures:
                             .
                             .
                             .
                             .

Floppy drive(s) : fd0 is unknown type 12 (usb?), fd1 is 2.88M AMI BIOS
floppy0 : no floppy controlllers found
Cannot load floppy module
Giving up!
/init: 44: sleep : not found
Kernel panic - not syncing: Attempted to kill init !

The setup procedure was deadlocked.

How can I solve this problem?

Thanks in advance.

J.H.Kim wrote:
> Hi, everyone
> I'm trying to install debian to old sony vaio PCG-Z505SX notebook which
> has no bootable cd-rom drive.
> So, I'm installing debian with USB floppy drive.
> When I setup debian using installing diskette, it displays following
> messages in setup procedures:
>                              .
>                              .
>                              .
>                              .
>
> Floppy drive(s) : fd0 is unknown type 12 (usb?), fd1 is 2.88M AMI BIOS
> floppy0 : no floppy controlllers found
> Cannot load floppy module
> Giving up!
> /init: 44: sleep : not found
> Kernel panic - not syncing: Attempted to kill init !
>

> The setup procedure was deadlocked.
>
> How can I solve this problem?

If that said laptop has a network card, which I doubt; you may boot it
off of the network and install a fresh system or clone an existing
installation on to this -- see
ftp://cto.homelinux.net/pub/FreeBSD/tftpboot/README.txt

In case that above is not workable for you, try taking out the mini
hard-disk from your laptop, manage to hook it on a machine which has
bootable CD or other drive; install whatever and bring back the mini
hard-drive to your laptop. This I'm sure will definitely work, though
you need to tweak around the config files a bit. Modern distros like
LinuxMint and ArchLinux shall take care of these things with help udev
and hal.

Hope that helps,
--
Dr Balwinder S "bsd" Dheeman          Registered Linux User: #229709
Anu'z Linux@HOME (Unix Shoppe)        Machines: #168573, 170593, 259192