Text-based PDF (read/view)ers in Linux?

Hello.

Is there a text-based PDF (view/read)er for command line in Linux
(Debian stable [Jessie])'s terminals like text based web browsers (Lynx,
w3m, eLinks, etc.)? I also don't mean a PDF converter too. I tried
"less" command that people suggested online, but it shows unreadable
garbages and XML codes. :(

Thank you in advance. :)
--
Quote of the Week: "Above ground I shall be food for kites; below I
shall be food for mole-crickets and ants. Why rob one to feed the

At Sun, 06 Mar 2016 02:38:05 -0600 ANTant@zimage.com (Ant) wrote:

> Hello.
>
> Is there a text-based PDF (view/read)er for command line in Linux
> (Debian stable [Jessie])'s terminals like text based web browsers (Lynx,
> w3m, eLinks, etc.)? I also don't mean a PDF converter too. I tried
> "less" command that people suggested online, but it shows unreadable
> garbages and XML codes. :(

pdftotext

part of the poppler-utils package

Not exactly a viewer, but will serve the purpose:

pdftotext foo.pdf - | less

Also pdftohtml can be used:

pdftohtml -noframes foo.pdf foo.html
lynx foo.html

(pdftohtml is also part of the poppler-utils package)

--
Robert Heller             -- 978-544-6933
heller@deepsoft.com       -- Webhosting Services

0
Robert
3/6/2016 1:57:54 PM
On 06/03/16 08:38, Ant wrote:
> Hello.
>
> Is there a text-based PDF (view/read)er for command line in Linux
?
  next thing you will be wanting a text only DVD watcher.

PDF is a page description language that includes formatting, fonts info
and images. Yeah you MIGHT get a very basic PDF to translate to text but
that is unlikely to bee the bulk of what you will be getting

The
3/6/2016 2:21:25 PM
On Sunday March 6 2016 09:21, in comp.os.linux.misc, "The Natural Philosopher"
<tnp@invalid.invalid> wrote:

> On 06/03/16 08:38, Ant wrote:
>> Hello.
>>
>> Is there a text-based PDF (view/read)er for command line in Linux
> ?
>   next thing you will be wanting a text only DVD watcher.

You mean like aaxine(1)?

AAXINE(1)                                                            AAXINE(1)

NAME
       aaxine - an ASCII art video player

SYNOPSIS
       aaxine  [aalib-options] [-A<audio-driver>] [-a<audio-channel>] [-R<rec-
       by>] [MRL...]

DESCRIPTION
       This manual page explains the aaxine program. Aaxine, is an aalib based
       frontend for libxine, a versatile video/multimedia player.

       aaxine is for those who don't have a high end video card, but just want
       to watch DVDs on their good old vt100 ;-)

       Like xine, aaxine plays MPEG system (audio  and  video)  streams,  mpeg
       elementary  streams  (e.g.  .mp3 or .mpv files), avi files (using win32
       codecs or ffmpeg), (S)VCDs, DVDs and  many  more.  In  short,  anything
       that's supported by xine-lib.

[snip]

--
Lew Pitcher
"In Skills, We Trust"

0
Lew
3/6/2016 2:49:51 PM
On 2016-03-06 15:21, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
> On 06/03/16 08:38, Ant wrote:
>> Hello.
>>
>> Is there a text-based PDF (view/read)er for command line in Linux
> ?
>  next thing you will be wanting a text only DVD watcher.

It exists. Xine does it.

--
Cheers, Carlos.

Carlos
3/6/2016 10:12:01 PM
--=-=-=

The Natural Philosopher [2016-03-06 14:21:25Z] wrote:

>  next thing you will be wanting a text only DVD watcher.

Not too weird. Libcaca is useful for text-only videos, for example:

    mpv dvd://1 --vo=3Dcaca

=2D-=20
/// Teemu Likonen   - .-..   <https://github.com/tlikonen> //
// PGP: 4E10 55DC 84E9 DFF6 13D7 8557 719D 69D3 2453 9450 ///

--=-=-=

--=-=-=--
0
Teemu
3/7/2016 5:29:18 AM
> > Is there a text-based PDF (view/read)er for command line in Linux
> > (Debian stable [Jessie])'s terminals like text based web browsers (Lynx,
> > w3m, eLinks, etc.)? I also don't mean a PDF converter too. I tried
> > "less" command that people suggested online, but it shows unreadable
> > garbages and XML codes. :(

> pdftotext

> part of the poppler-utils package

> Not exactly a viewer, but will serve the purpose:

> pdftotext foo.pdf - | less

> Also pdftohtml can be used:

> pdftohtml -noframes foo.pdf foo.html
> lynx foo.html

> (pdftohtml is also part of the poppler-utils package)

Interesting. Less command by itself wouldn't work correctly,
but with pdftotext, it did work. Actually, this trick is good enough for
me. Thanks! :)
--
Quote of the Week: "Above ground I shall be food for kites; below I
shall be food for mole-crickets and ants. Why rob one to feed the
other?" --Juang-zu (4th Century B.C.)
  /\___/\   Ant(Dude) @ http://antfarm.home.dhs.org (Personal Web Site)
 / /\ /\ \                 Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net
| |o   o| |
   \ _ /    Please nuke ANT if replying by e-mail privately. If credit-
    ( )     ing, then please kindly use Ant nickname and AQFL URL/link.
0
ANTant
3/7/2016 8:23:08 AM
On 2016-03-07, Ant <ANTant@zimage.com> wrote:
>> > Is there a text-based PDF (view/read)er for command line in Linux
>> > (Debian stable [Jessie])'s terminals like text based web browsers (Lynx,
>> > w3m, eLinks, etc.)? I also don't mean a PDF converter too. I tried
>> > "less" command that people suggested online, but it shows unreadable
>> > garbages and XML codes. :(
>
>> pdftotext
>
>> part of the poppler-utils package
>
>> Not exactly a viewer, but will serve the purpose:
>
>> pdftotext foo.pdf - | less
>
>> Also pdftohtml can be used:
>
>> pdftohtml -noframes foo.pdf foo.html
>> lynx foo.html
>
>> (pdftohtml is also part of the poppler-utils package)
>
> Interesting. Less command by itself wouldn't work correctly,
> but with pdftotext, it did work. Actually, this trick is good enough for
> me. Thanks! :)

Less simply reads the text, including the formatting commands, etc.
pdftotext strips out the formatting commands and leaves the text. Of
course It cannot do anything for pictures, or text in graphics files
(usually jpeg)

0
William
3/7/2016 8:56:24 AM
On 2016-03-07 09:23, Ant wrote:

> Interesting. Less command by itself wouldn't work correctly,
> but with pdftotext, it did work. Actually, this trick is good enough for
> me. Thanks! :)

Did you try 'mc'? Just press "F3" (view) on a PDF file and it opens it
for view in text mode. It may be using "pdftotext" in the back, I don't
know.

--
Cheers, Carlos.

Carlos
3/8/2016 2:02:01 PM
On 2016-03-07 09:56, William Unruh wrote:
> On 2016-03-07, Ant <ANTant@zimage.com> wrote:

> Less simply reads the text, including the formatting commands, etc.
> pdftotext strips out the formatting commands and leaves the text. Of
> course It cannot do anything for pictures, or text in graphics files
> (usually jpeg)

Well, pictures could be represented with an ascii art converter.

--
Cheers, Carlos.

Carlos
3/8/2016 6:06:14 PM
> > Interesting. Less command by itself wouldn't work correctly,
> > but with pdftotext, it did work. Actually, this trick is good enough for
> > me. Thanks! :)

> Did you try 'mc'? Just press "F3" (view) on a PDF file and it opens it
> for view in text mode. It may be using "pdftotext" in the back, I don't
> know.

Wow, it worked too. To test to see if it is using pdftotext command, I
renamed my /usr/bin/pdftotext and retested. Midnight Commander (mc) said
"Error -- /usr/lib/mc/ext.d/doc.sh: 41: /usr/lib/mc/ext.d/doc.sh:
pdftotext: not found". So yes, it is using it. :)
--
Quote of the Week: "Above ground I shall be food for kites; below I
shall be food for mole-crickets and ants. Why rob one to feed the
other?" --Juang-zu (4th Century B.C.)
  /\___/\   Ant(Dude) @ http://antfarm.home.dhs.org (Personal Web Site)
 / /\ /\ \                 Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net
| |o   o| |
   \ _ /    Please nuke ANT if replying by e-mail privately. If credit-
    ( )     ing, then please kindly use Ant nickname and AQFL URL/link.
0
ANTant

Text-based PDF (read/view)er in Linux?
Hello. Is there a text-based PDF (view/read)er for command line in Linux (Debian stable [Jessie])'s terminals like text based web browsers (Lynx, w3m, eLinks, etc.)? I also don't mean a PDF converter too. I tried "less" command that people suggested online, but it shows unreadable garbages and XML codes. Thank you in advance. :) -- Quote of the Week: "Above ground I shall be food for kites; below I shall be food for mole-crickets and ants. Why rob one to feed the other?" --Juang-zu (4th Century B.C.) Note: A fixed width font (Courier, Monospace, etc.) is required to see this signature correctly. /\___/\ Ant(Dude) @ http://antfarm.home.dhs.org (Personal Web Site) / /\ /\ \ Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net | |o o| | \ _ / Please nuke ANT if replying by e-mail privately. If credit- ( ) ing, then please kindly use Ant nickname and AQFL URL/link. On 06/03/16 08:33, Ant wrote: > Hello. > > Is there a text-based PDF (view/read)er for command line in Linux I don't think so. PDF is a graphical format: it has no meaning for a character-cell terminal with no graphics. But you could use pdftotext to view the textual content. ///Peter ...

Linux, Linux, Linux

[News] Review of the Linux-based iRex, Linux CTO Recommends Linux-based EBook Readers

Linux!! Linux!!
From http://groups.google.ca/group/comp.os.linux.misc/about This month 16 t...@invalid.invalid 15 ahlstr...@launchmodem.com 14 goldee_loxnbag...@gmail.com 10 jhas...@newsguy.com 9 mil...@yoyo.org 9 hel...@deepsoft.com 9 hadronqu...@gmail.com 8 ronb02nos...@gmail.com 7 secret...@lxny.org 7 ignoramus8...@nospam.8345.invalid All time 5421 p...@oboe.it.uc3m.es 4508 michael+use...@www.heiming.de 3530 j...@dhh.gt.org 3066 hel...@deepsoft.com 2991 nike_jordan_...@yahoo.com.cn 2651 jdbe...@exit109.com 2474 gra...@visi.com 2216 nikejordangoo...@hotmail.com 1890 rkiesl...@mainmatter.com 1869 unruh-s...@physics.ubc.ca FRom http://groups.google.ca/group/comp.os.linux.setup/about Top posters This month 35 art...@sj.speakeasy.net 25 t...@invalid.invalid 21 a...@zimage.comant 15 Nico Kadel-Garcia 13 n...@youmustbejoking.demon.cu.invalid 8 dwhodg...@nomail.afraid.org 8 jhas...@newsguy.com 7 jul...@tampabay.rr.com 6 karthikbalagur...@gmail.com 5 Doug Freyburger All time 2999 p...@oboe.it.uc3m.es 1752 nka...@comcast.net 1510 scare.c...@oz.land 1458 michael+use...@www.heiming.de 1262 mjtob...@removethis_consultant.com 1132 nka...@bellatlantic.net 1128 kim...@lightlink.com 1106 nos...@nosite.zzz 1047 effla...@xnet.com 1007 m...@scrum.muc.de -- Member - Liberal International This is doctor@nl2k.ab.ca Ici doctor@nl2k.ab.ca God, Queen and country! Never Satan President Republic! Beware AntiChrist rising! http://twitter.com/rootnl2k http://www.faceboo...

I have Linux! I have Linux!

My Linux is not your Linux

Why linux is linux

[News] [Linux] More Speculations About a Google OS Based on GNU/Linux
Google admits that it is going after Microsoft Office... Is Windows next? ,----[ Quote ] | So that brings us to the obvious question: What about the operating | system? There have been rumors for years about a Google PC and/or | Google OS that was based on Linux and aimed at providing a simple, | intuitive desktop for the masses. Naturally, that Google PC would | primarily be an Internet terminal that features Google's online | applications. `---- http://blogs.techrepublic.com.com/hiner/?p=465 Still getting slapped for spyware (Dell) and news aggregators... Google stands firm behind N...

[News] [Linux] Another Wireless Solution Uses Linux-based OS
Aerohive Courts Controller-less WiFi ,----[ Quote ] | One startup is trying to get rid of the controller to save customers | some important dollars. | | [...] | | Aerohive's cooperative control access point is called the HiveAP 20 | ag and runs HiveOS on top of standard hardware and a standard Linux | kernel. . Flynn explained that HiveOS is based on Linux, with | Aerohive sprinkling in some features for good measure. `---- http://www.internetnews.com/infra/article.php/3676391 ...

[News] [Linux] Linux-based Recording Studio and Linux at the Indy 500
Daniel James interview (LXF 93) ,----[ Quote ] | Daniel James is the project directory of the audio distro 64 Studio. He set | up 64 Studio Ltd to provide development services to hardware OEMs, and | support to users in studios. James also runs a Linux-based recording studio | near his home on the Isle of Wight. `---- http://www.linuxformat.co.uk/mag/james.html Push for Indy 500's first TeamLinux car stirs controversy ,----[ Quote ] | Tux500 has grabbed the attention of at least one person outside the | Linux community, who has set up a competing project called Vista500. | Speaking ...

[News] [Linux] Symphony OS 2007 Based on Ubuntu, Another Linux Mint Beta Released
Symphony OS 2007 Preview ,----[ Quote ] | Ubuntu 7.04 Base system | Ubiquity Installer | Google Gadgets as Desklets | Continued performance improvements `---- http://symphonyos.com/cms/?p=15 "Cassandra" - BETA 012 ,----[ Quote ] | This is the first beta release of Cassandra. The system is stable | but some work is ongoing in mintinstall, mintmenu and in the artwork. `---- http://www.linuxmint.com/20070508.html SLAX 6.0.0 RC3 [screenshots] Screenshots gallery http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=704&num=1 New version of Foresight Linux http://distrowa...

[News] Linux-based iRex Versus Linux-based Kindle

The Linux Community In Action....The Video...(Hope You Linux Nuts Can View This With Linux, haha!)
See the Linux community in action! Aren't they a fine bunch of stable people! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0KcYPwgI8_c Thanks for the link :) This video should be played in every boardroom of every company even considering implementing Linux in any form or factor. -- Moshe Goldfarb Collector of soaps from around the globe. Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots: http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/ Moshe Goldfarb <brick.n.straw@gmail.com> writes: > See the Linux community in action! > > Aren't they a fine bunch of stable people! > > > http://www.youtu...

[News] GNU/Linux Claimed Better Than Mac OS X, Vista's Dim View Leads to Linux
Why Mac OS X Sucks and Linux Rocks ,----[ Quote ] | For now, I decided to quit using Leopard (except when I want to take funny | and distorted pictures), and I am more determined than ever in making Linux | (Xubuntu) fully compatible with my Macbook Pro. You may ask why I think Linux | rocks. `---- http://www.junauza.com/2008/04/why-mac-os-x-sucks-and-linux-rocks.html With Vista's View Getting Dimmer, Should You Give Linux A Chance? ,----[ Quote ] | Ease of use. WHAT!?! Ease of use? Yes. I've said it now. It's easy to use. CD | based install (or even one that will go ove...

[News] Palm's Linux-based OS in the Making; =?UTF-8?B?RXhvbuKAmXM=?= Quran PDA Runs Linux Too

Hi, There are a number of security specialized Linux live-CDs out there, including: * Knoppix-STD * Local Area Security Linux * Phlak * Whax * Auditor Security Linux * Linux Defender * Er
Hi, There are a number of security specialized Linux live-CDs out there, including: * Knoppix-STD * Local Area Security Linux * Phlak * Whax * Auditor Security Linux * Linux Defender * Erpross Live (in German only) * Arudius * Operator Which, if any, do you use? Why? Can you compare/contrat these tools? Which would you reccommend to an aspiring security professional? Thanks! Alex Begin <1132252106.677760.297830@g49g2000cwa.googlegroups.com> On 2005-11-17, alex <alex-voz@list.ru> wrote: [snip: ``security linux live cds''] > Which, if any, ...

All About Linux: GNU To Linux? Read This First!
http://encyclopediadramatica.se/Lunix � I haven't been laid in a year. :( I think it's my distro. What version are you guys running? � �Welcome to Lunix! � I always eagerly wait for the new Lunix kernel. When I think of what compilation commands to use I get a huge boner and I often masturbate during the compilation. Some time ago I bought a new computer that compiles the kernel so fast I don't have time to cum. So I compile it twice. � �Typical Lunix user. Hope he runs make clean! "linux.exe, pronounced Ginoo Slash Linnucks, is a common computer virus that affects users in such a way that it turns them into complete faggots. After stealing the UNIX core from Apple, Linus Torvalds, via his system administrator god-complex, aptly named the program "Linux" after himself. More commonly known as Lunix ("the Loser's UNIX"), it is the poor-man's version of the monolithic UNIX system; also, it is the most powerful contraceptives evar, in the universe, anywhere. The moar one learns about Lunix, the moar powerful its Template:Exlink become. It is recommended that you try Lunix, since everyone knows your gonads are made of fail. In other words, Lunix is a computerized sex-surrogate for asspies. It is an operating system that was the result of really crappy reverse-engineering efforts to create a free version of UNIX. Linus Torvalds and Alan Cox are the perpetrators behind...

[News] Unified Linux-based Communications Server Released; Linux-based Gateway

All RTOS (linux Based ) Other than RT-Linux
Hi all, I want to know, there are any REAL TIME OPERATING systems( RTOS) which should have total linux compatible other than RT- Linux. And are there any free Real time Operating systems ( Linux Based ) is available on the Internet. Please provide some information regarding this issue. mahi wrote: > Hi all, I want to know, there are any REAL TIME OPERATING > systems( RTOS) which should have total linux compatible other than RT- > Linux. > > And are there any free Real time Operating systems ( Linux Based ) is > available on the Internet. > > Pleas...

[News] [Linux] Improved Linux SDIO stack; Linux-based Set-top Box Gets Opera
Linux SDIO stack targets high-throughput apps ,----[ Quote ] | SDIO Nex uses an "entirely new" architecture designed for low | processor utilization and maximum throughput, Arasan said. `---- http://www.linuxdevices.com/news/NS3979314345.html Linux-based "triple play" gateways gain web browser ,----[ Quote ] | Tilgin (formerly i3 Micro) has added the Opera web browser to two | of its Linux-based set-top boxes, Opera reports. Opera 9 for | Devices will allow Tilgin customers to create user interfaces | based on Web standards, in addition to letting end-users browse | t...

[News] [Linux] Storage Appliance Uses Linux and Wins Praises; Newer Linux-based TV is Coming
Backups again - Bacula ,----[ Quote ] | Just a quick note to mention how impressed I have been with my current | backup solution, Bacula (using an Overland Neo2000 tape library, which | also does the job nicely). `---- http://www.oreillynet.com/linux/blog/2007/05/backups_again_bacula.html Mythbuntu 7.04 Public Alpha 1 ,----[ Quote ] | After lots of hard work the past month, the Mythbuntu team is | proud to present our first publicly announced Alpha. `---- http://www.mythbuntu.org/node/10 ...

[News] Linux-based Gadget Gets Games; Linux-based Laptop Still a Hit
Linux-based device gains accelerometer-based games ,----[ Quote ] | Chumby Industries announced a partnership with Albino Blacksheep to provide | Flash-based games for the Linux-based Chumby "alarm-clock" computer, | leveraging its motion-sensing capabilities. Meanwhile, Chumby's development | site is growing, providing a forum, wikis, and other information for hacking | the Chumby's open-source hardware and software. `---- http://www.linuxdevices.com/news/NS9517072485.html Asus: Eee PC Shipments to Soar in Second Quarter ,----[ Quote ] | The original Eee PCs went...

[News] Linux-based Foleo Reviewed, Linux-based Asus Eee Out Next Month
Switched On: The Foleo Imbroglio (Part 2) ,----[ Quote ] | For now, the low-hanging fruit for the initial product include students, | conference attendees, bloggers, reporters and the like who want a light, | inexpensive text-crunching machine and information workers on the leading | edge of a Web-based workflow. `---- http://www.engadget.com/2007/08/20/switched-on-the-foleo-imbroglio-part-2/ Asus to Start Shipping Eee PC in September. ,----[ Quote ] | However, as the production increases, more affordable models should become | widely available also. In 2007 they intend to ship 500,...

Web resources about - Text-based PDF (read/view)ers in Linux? - comp.os.linux.misc

Text-based user interface - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
... coined sometime after the invention of graphical user interfaces , to distinguish them from command-line interfaces that were also text-based ...

Proloquo4Text - Text-based AAC on the App Store on iTunes
Get Proloquo4Text - Text-based AAC on the App Store. See screenshots and ratings, and read customer reviews.

Text-based internet on TI-Nspire Linux - YouTube
Challenge completed. Graphics based internet coming up soon. (I didn't demonstrate it here but there's also an SSH server running in the background ...

Text-based bug that crashes apps in OS X 10.8 & iOS 6 discovered, fixed in OS X 10.9 and iOS 7
... doesn’t get too far. Check out 9to5Mac for more breaking coverage of AAPL Company and exploit . What do you think? Discuss "Text-based bug ...

Empowering the Video Revolution: Moving Away from Simple Text-Based Publishers
ADOTAS – In the world of online advertising, content is king because without content, there’s nothing to monetize. Major online ...

Universal Support Waltzes Into Gesture-Based Text Editor Daedalus Touch
If youre looking for a well-designed text editor for iOS, you need not look further than Daedalus Touch.

You have been eaten by a grue: vintage text-based games on your Kindle
Enterprising gamers are formatting vintage text-based adventure games for the …

Blackbar, A Text-Based iOS Game About ██████████
... Moore. Blackbar starts out with censored letters sent between you and somebody called Vi. You have to […] The post Blackbar, A Text-Based iOS ...

RIM gets patent for logic-based text prediction, BlackBerry 10 keyboard now preserved for the ages
... ahead of its user. It's a good thing for this last camp that RIM was just granted the final version of a related patent for logic-based text ...

App of the Week: ‘Where You @’ enables text-based location queries
... reason he keeps randomly turning off the GPS on his phone. “Where You @” is a free download for Android . The person making the text-based ...