Text in images to a text file

Hello,
Does anyone know of any software for Linux which converts text in
images to a text file. I have loads of paper documents that I intend to
scan. The contents of these documents needs to eventually end up on a
web site but as text.

Darren

0
bobblebob (7)

<bobblebob@gmail.com> wrote in message

> Does anyone know of any software for Linux which converts text in
> images to a text file. I have loads of paper documents that I intend
> to scan. The contents of these documents needs to eventually end up
> on a web site but as text.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/tesseract-ocr is popular. Also examine
http://www.google.com/linux?q=ocr for other items of interest.

0
ynotssor (750)
6/29/2006 8:51:17 PM
On 29 Jun 2006 13:21:31 -0700, bobblebob@gmail.com staggered into the
Black Sun and said:
> Does anyone know of any software for Linux which converts text in
> images to a text file?

What you're looking for is called "Optical Character Recognition" and is
usually abbreviated to "OCR".  There are 2 Free packages called gocr and
ocrad, but they both suck compared to the commercial atuff available for
Windows.  Seriously.  Source image was a 300 DPI black-and-white, very
well scanned, no skew, professionally typeset scanned TIFF.  ~2800 chars
on the page.  Number of mis-recognized chars:

Old Typereader:  0
Old Omnipage:    2
gocr 0.39:     >50
ocrad 0.10:   >100

....and that's for text that's as good as it gets.  If you have skew,
blotch, curl, weird fonts, or anything like that, performance goes down
*sharply*.

> I have loads of paper documents that I intend to scan. The contents of
> these documents need to eventually end up on a web site as text.

Even the best OCR engine available (Finereader?  Latest Omnipage?) is
not perfect.  If you require perfection, you'll need to proof every
single page by hand to catch the problems.  If you can't proof
everything, you'll need to store the scanned images so people can still
read the text when your engine recognizes "Murgatroyd" as
"IVIurgatroycl".  HTH anyway,

Brainbench MVP for Linux Admin /    mail: TRAP + SPAN don't belong
http://www.brainbench.com     /    "He is a rhythmic movement of the
-----------------------------/      penguins, is Tux." --MegaHAL
Thanks for the replays, I'll give the suggested programs a try. If they
suck I'll have to get typing. I just had another thought: would one of
those i-pen things do the job (you know those pens with a laser that
you drag over text)? Actually it would probably be as quick to type, I
guess.
Thanks for the help again
Darren

bobblebob@gmail.com wrote:
> Hello,
> Does anyone know of any software for Linux which converts text in
> images to a text file. I have loads of paper documents that I intend to
> scan. The contents of these documents needs to eventually end up on a
> web site but as text.
>
> Darren

0
bobblebob (7)
6/29/2006 9:17:41 PM
0
tyler1 (22)
6/30/2006 1:23:39 AM
I think I'll leave the pen thing then. My sister a PA, with super fast
typing skills. It looks like I may have to give her a call. Thanks for
the info Tyler.
Darren

 McHenry wrote:

0
bobblebob (7)
6/30/2006 11:01:31 AM
In <1151612491.407262.124690@75g2000cwc.googlegroups.com>, on
06/29/2006
   at 01:21 PM, bobblebob@gmail.com said:

>Does anyone know of any software for Linux which converts text in
>images to a text file. I have loads of paper documents that I intend
>to scan. The contents of these documents needs to eventually end up
>on a web site but as text.

Google for OCR. Use a good and well maintained scanner. Be prepared to
do a lot of manual cleanup.

--
Shmuel (Seymour J.) Metz, SysProg and JOAT  <http://patriot.net/~shmuel>

Unsolicited bulk E-mail subject to legal action.  I reserve the
right to publicly post or ridicule any abusive E-mail.  Reply to
domain Patriot dot net user shmuel+news to contact me.  Do not
reply to spamtrap@library.lspace.org

0
spamtrap16 (3722)
7/2/2006 11:14:29 AM
On comp.os.linux.misc, in <slrnea8fq1.dsv.danSPANceswitTRAPhcrows@samantha.crow202.dyndns.org>, "Dances With Crows" wrote:

<snip>

> Matt G|There is no Darkness in Eternity/But only Light too dim for us to see

I've been meaning to say something about that statement for a
long time, DWC: That Light is too _bright_ to look upon at our
present stage of development. Physical light is a highly filtered
and limited rendering of it.

It seems dim because we are wearing thick, black sunglasses, so
to speak, when we view it directly.

Alan

--
http://home.earthlink.net/~alanconnor/contact.html
Other URLs of possible interest in my headers.

--=_mimegpg-commodore.email-scan.com-5511-1151870682-0002

Usenet Beavis writes:

> I've been meaning to lay down a kookfart about that statement for a
> long time, DWC:

Don't let me stop you, Beavis.

>                 That Light is too _bright_ to look upon at our
> present stage of development. Physical light is a highly filtered
> and limited rendering of it.

Beavis: the Confuscius of the 21st centry.

> It seems dim because I'm too stupid to understand a metaphor, and my goal
> in life is only to go down in history as Usenet biggest laughing stock.

Mission accomplished.

> Beavis

*SMACK*

FAQ: Canonical list of questions Beavis refuses to answer (V1.90)

This is a canonical list of questions that Beavis never answers. This FAQ is
posted on a semi-regular schedule, as circumstances warrant.

For more information on Beavis, see:

http://www.pearlgates.net/nanae/kooks/ac/

Although Beavis has been posting for a long time, he always remains silent
on the subjects enumerated below.  His response, if any, usually consists of
replying to the parent post with a loud proclamation that his Usenet-reading
software runs a magical filter that automatically identifies anyone who's
making fun of him, and hides those offensive posts.  For more information
see question #9 below.

1) Why are you afraid of posting to alt.usenet.kooks?

2) If your Challenge-Response spam filter works so well, why are you munging
your address, when posting to Usenet?

3) If spammers avoid forging real E-mail addresses on spam, then where do
all these bounces everyone reports getting (for spam with their return
address was forged onto) come from?

4) If your Challenge-Response filter is so great, why don't you use it?
(http://tinyurl.com/rvvsd)

5) Do you still believe that rsh is the best solution for remote access?
(http://tinyurl.com/5qqb6)

6) What is your evidence that everyone who disagrees with you, and thinks
that you're a moron, is a spammer?

7) What is your evidence that everyone who disagrees with you, and thinks
that you're a moron, is a "troll"?

8) How many different individuals do you believe really post to Usenet? What
is the evidence for your paranoid belief that everyone, except you, who
posts here is some unknown arch-nemesis of yours?

9) How many times, or how often, do you believe is necessary to announce
that you do not read someone's posts?  What is your reason for making these
regularly-scheduled proclamations?  Who do you believe is so interested in
keeping track of your Usenet-reading habits?

10) When was the last time you saw Bigfoot (http://tinyurl.com/23r3f)?

11) If your C-R system employs a spam filter so that it won't challenge
spam, then why does any of the mail that passes the filter, and is thusly
presumed not to be spam, need to be challenged?

12) You claim that the software you use to read Usenet magically identifies
any post that makes fun of you.  In http://tinyurl.com/3swes you explain
that "What I get in my newsreader is a mock post with fake headers and no
body, except for the first parts of the Subject and From headers."

Since your headers indicate that you use slrn and, as far as anyone knows,
the stock slrn doesn't work that way, is this interesting patch to slrn
available for download anywhere?

13) You regularly post alleged logs of your procmail recipe autodeleting a
bunch of irrelevant mail that you've received.  Why, and who exactly do you
believe is interested in your mail logs?

14) How exactly do you "enforce" an "order" to stay out of your mailbox,
supposedly (http://tinyurl.com/cs8jt)?  Since you issue this "order" about
every week, or so, apparently nobody wants to follow it.  What are you going
to do about it?

15) What's with your fascination with shit? (also http://tinyurl.com/cs8jt,
and http://tinyurl.com/qv296; or http://makeashorterlink.com/?A2343263D and
http://makeashorterlink.com/?G2242163D ) ?

16) You complain about some arch-nemesis of yours always posting forged
messages in your name.  Can you come up with even a single URL, as an example
of what you're talking about?

17) You always complain about some mythical spammers that pretend to be
spamfighters (http://tinyurl.com/br4td).  Who exactly are those people, and
can you post a copy of a spam that you supposedly received from them, that
proves that they're really spammers, and not spamfighters?

--=_mimegpg-commodore.email-scan.com-5511-1151870682-0002

--=_mimegpg-commodore.email-scan.com-5511-1151870682-0002--
0
sam217 (1634)
7/2/2006 8:04:42 PM
On comp.os.linux.misc, in <cone.1151870682.435375.5511.500@commodore.email-scan.com>, "Sam" wrote:

<article not downloaded:
http://slrn.sourceforge.net/docs/README.offline>

It's not that that I am refusing to answer Little Sammy
Wammy's questions.

I am refusing to _read_ them.

I don't download any of his articles, nor any responses to
them, and haven't for years.

Regardless of which of his numerous sockpuppets he is employing
at the moment.

Don't like what I post, "Sam"?

What are you going to do about it besides watch me with
your mouth shut?

Alan

--
See my headers.
0
This is a MIME GnuPG-signed message.  If you see this text, it means that
your E-mail or Usenet software does not support MIME signed messages.
The Internet standard for MIME PGP messages, RFC 2015, was published in 1996.
To open this message correctly you will need to install E-mail or Usenet
software that supports modern Internet standards.

--=_mimegpg-commodore.email-scan.com-6913-1151879435-0001

Usenet Beavis writes:

> On comp.os.linux.misc, in <cone.1151870682.435375.5511.500@commodore.em=
ail-scan.com>, "Sam" wrote:
>=20
> <article downloaded and read: http://www.geocities.com/suhatrasabib>

Thank you for your kookfart, Beavis.

> It's not that that I am refusing to answer my mental superior's
> questions.

But you are.

> I am choosing to have a major kookfart, instead.

Well, when you're done, try again (to answer your FAQ, that is).

I can wait.

> I always download all of his articles, and all responses to
> them, and read them faithfully.

But, Beavis, despite such abudance of learning opportunity, you're still =
as=20
dumb as a rock.

> Regardless of any opportunity to improve my overall IQ, I'd rather have=20
> a kookfart, instead.

Why, Beavis?

> Don't like what I post, my master?

On the contrary, Beavis.  Your performance is entertaining, but you can=20
always use some new material.

> What are you going to do about it besides watch me and hope that your=20
> bladder's integrity won't get compromised?

Well, since you've asked, I'm going to repost one of my favorite song=20
parodies.

This one's for you, Beavis.

> Beavis

*SLAP*

> --=20
> See my kookfarts.

And now, with apologies to Billy Joel=E2=80=A6

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

It's nine o'clock on a Friday night,
and Beavis has nothing to do,
So here he comes, logging in,
He's gonna start flinging his poo.
He says -- Challenge-Response is the greatest thing
Since inventing machine to slice bread.
So what if it doesn't really work at all?
Everyone knows: I'm brain dead.

La la la, de de da
La la, de de da da da

   Post some more crap, you're the Beavis troll,
   Post some more crap while you drool,
   Everyone knows that you won't read this post,
   Your FAQ says why - you're a fool.

Now Beavis is screaming his fool head's off,
Because noone believes what he says.
Even Bigfoot knows that he's full of it,
He's mostly just flatulent gas.
We say: Beavis has nothing, no sense at all,
But his kookfarts are funny as hell.
They always manage to make us laugh,
And how did he get such a smell?

Oh, la la la, de de da
La la, de de da da da

   Post some more crap, you're the Beavis troll,
   Post some more crap while you drool,
   Everyone knows that you won't read this post,
   Your FAQ says why - you're a fool.

--=_mimegpg-commodore.email-scan.com-6913-1151879435-0001

--=_mimegpg-commodore.email-scan.com-6913-1151879435-0001--
0
sam217 (1634)

Command for converting text file (Windows CR) to text file (Linux) ?
Assume I trasferred/uploaded a text file (which was created on a Win system) to Linux system. How can I convert the eol chars to the Linux style ? I opened (and later saved) it in vi editor. But this didn't help. What else can I do to convert it? Karl In article <475ef469$0$17522$9b4e6d93@newsspool4.arcor-online.net>, Karl Medrell <k.medrell@hotmail.com> wrote: >Assume I trasferred/uploaded a text file (which was created on a Win >system) to Linux system. > >How can I convert the eol chars to the Linux style ? > >I opened (and later saved) it in vi editor...

Reading Text File, Text Scrolling and erase line from a text file
Hi , How can I Reading Text File, then Text Scrolling by means of keys "page UP" "page Down" and erase a specific line from a text file , when press "F2" key? Best Regards, Lidia from Poland -- ========================================= Pozdrawiam Lidiaa Lidiaa schrieb: > Hi , > > How can I Reading Text File, then Text Scrolling by means of > keys "page UP" "page Down" and erase a specific line from a text > file , when press "F2" key? > > ...

Printing text, image, text, image, ...
I have bunch of text files (about 20 lines) and bunch of image files. Is there a clean way to print text, then image, then text, then image, ...., as though there are in single continuous document? -- William Park <opengeometry@yahoo.ca>, Toronto, Canada ThinFlash: Linux thin-client on USB key (flash) drive http://home.eol.ca/~parkw/thinflash.html BashDiff: Super Bash shell http://freshmeat.net/projects/bashdiff/ ["Followup-To:" header set to comp.os.linux.misc.] On Fri, 23 Jun 2006 20:01:01 -0400, William Park staggered into the Black Sun and said: > I have [a] bu...

text-text

text + text
What is "text + text" supposed to do right now? It doesn't seem very useful to me. What about making "text + text" as an equivalent for "text || text"? Most strongly-typed programming languages do this. And MS SQL Server too, I think (CMIIW). -- dave ---------------------------(end of broadcast)--------------------------- TIP 1: subscribe and unsubscribe commands go to majordomo@postgresql.org Am Freitag, 8. Oktober 2004 12:57 schrieb David Garamond: > What is "text + text" supposed to do right now? Nothing. > What a...

Converting A Unicode Text File to An ASCII Text File
We have a large number of text files built in Unicode that we need to be read by SAS. SAS does not read Unicode text. To convert the Unicode text to ASCII text we did the following: A Unicode text file adds an additional blank space to each character. To remove this blank character, you can use the code below. The hexidecimal value '00' is a blank character. So remove it using the SAS statement '00'x. The 'x' tells SAS you are reading hexidecimal. Use RECFM=N to tell SAS that you are reading a stream of data that will not conform to a typical file structure. SAS will ...

concatenating multiple text files into one text file
Hello all, I have a huge number of text files like : spectrum1_300_315.csv spectrum1_315_331.csv spectrum1_331_364.csv spectrum1_364_386.csv spectrum1_386_401.csv ...................................... ....................................... each file contains some headerlines at the beginning and data in 2 columns. I want to concatenate the data of the files into one text file .Can anyone hel me pls?thank u in advance. ...

Failed to write to a text file (text file is RW)
Hi, I dig up the following script. Added a simple HTML file with a form field named "vote" and have it send to the following php script. However, it failed to write to the poll_result.txt file. Why? Thanks as usual. <?php $vote = $_REQUEST['vote']; //get content of textfile $filename = "poll_result.txt"; $content = file($filename); //put content in array $array = explode("||", $content[0]); $yes = $array[0]; $no = $array[1]; if ($vote == 1) { $yes = $yes + 1; } if ($vote == 0) { $no = $no + 1; } // debug echo $yes; echo $no; // ou...

Text IN an Image To Straight Text?
Hi. (I'm not sure where to ask this so I'm trying a few newsgroups) I have some .jpg's of text documents. Is there a utility which will work like OCR in a scanner, helping to convert the text WITHIN the image to straight text? I don't have a printer working at the moment, or I'd print the .jpg's and then scan them using OCR. (The format doesn't necessarily have to be .jpg) Thanks in advance for any help GP Yes, if the image is not to bad a pic (not much noise and all that). Try http://www.twocows.com/windows.html I know they have a couple of ocr programs s...

aligning text and image-text
I use a program to make Email addresses harder for spammers to harvest. It converts them to slightly blurred images using http://mindprod.com/products1.html#MASKER When I embed them in text, I have figured out how to get them to align naturally with the surrounding text, but the browser inserts extra inter-line spacing above the line containing the image. You can see the effect at http://mindprod.com/book/books.html at the bottom of the page where it says: "Please email your feedback for publication, letters to the editor, errors, omissions, typos, formatting errors, ambig...

matrix and text to a text file
Hi, I know some similar question have been solved before but I have been reading for a while and I didn't find the answer of my question so, I ask you. I want to create a text-file (.txt) where I will have some text and some matrixs. The format that i want is something like that: -Title- Name1. Name2. power(dbm): big matrix (12000X400) aprox frequency(hz) vector(1x12) aprox So, i created a m-file that can do this writing with fprintf every single character on the file using lots of for loops. It works good but if the matrix is that size it could take a time (about 7 min...

text file not mac text
please remind me of the difference. An 8-bit prog. I have needs ASCII text. if I save a file as TEXT or simpletext on a mac, it isnt accepted. I remember 'forked files' but no details...... Is there a II utilty to 'convert' a mac text file to acceptable II ascii text? thanks. cornelio <cornelio@san.rr.com> wrote: > please remind me of the difference. An 8-bit prog. I have needs ASCII > text. if I save a file as TEXT or simpletext on a mac, it isnt accepted. > I remember 'forked files' but no details...... > > Is there a II utilty to '...

Read a non text file
How can i convert a weird looking file to text file. I know the main info is stored in the file which looks like below. "����<t���Jч�ĉTV��y�rr��Ph"e~Wm>�E�0Y'p�=C�&�rؙ�<t�Fx�Zo$�+T��=���H Or�r6�S��m&7<�p�q��� u����w}�jlꥎ+_�����Z�?��v��ȉ�XC R�}�_�׍�:�$)�o}��NʨW\&���I@b�#T�B��8���J��CL�ypr\�]R���p\��S�XRҏ�f&?/��� 2�t�_��x���bG���Z�D�v�s [�"��N�# Ѡ�@)�����h'&%�(�)��c�ͼA ���zUZjLRyu�P̤� ��� �W��e�@1'�(��u-nG��p��2_�� T&�6+� _� d�(1Z�E@���h�F�z �~x�fG���s�b�/-+�@��0�%��6�wu�=��z���Y�0...

Re: Converting A Unicode Text File to An ASCII Text File
Mike, SAS does not read Unicode text. It is not true encoding=utf8 exist HTH Andre I tried upon this contents (a french one saved in utf8) but showed here in windows Nom,Adressé "Bob","cité Bergère" "Ann","impasse Dôme" with this code under sas windows options validvarname=any; filename a "z:\utf8.csv" encoding=utf8; PROC IMPORT OUT= WORK.PAPER3 DATAFILE=a DBMS=CSV REPLACE; GETNAMES=YES; DATAROW=2; RUN; the results are Nom Adress� Bob cit� Berg�re Ann impasse D�me But perhaps you have another problem...

Web resources about - Text in images to a text file - comp.os.linux.misc

Twist Image
At Twist Image, we connect brands to people and people to brands. Let us show you what we mean.

Wikipedia:Manual of Style/Images - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Wikipedia contains millions of illustrative images and other electronic media . This page gives a very brief overview of how images are used ...

Police release image in connection with suspicious death
POLICE are wanting to speak with two men to help with investigations into the possibly suspicious death of a man on the Sunshine Coast on Sunday. ...

Apple 'iPhone 5se' image leaked
A first look at Apple's latest iPhone model may have leaked online yesterday.

Scott Kelly captures image of "thundersnow" from space
A rare weather phenomenon was seen from space as a massive blizzard hit the East Coast

New Batman V Superman Image Hints at Darkseid
A new image from Batman V Superman: Dawn of Justice, released in Empire magazine currently [...]

Looking for Stock Photos and Images? Check Out Dreamstime
As the idiom goes, a picture is worth a thousand words! If you are not currently using images on your site or blog, you are missing out. Apart ...

Jeb Bush's super PAC runs ad featuring image of Terri Schiavo, because Jeb has no class at all
... 10 years ago despite Bush's efforts to halt the removal of her feeding tubes. The ad features a picture of Mrs. Schiavo as well as an image ...

More Samsung Galaxy S7 specs and images leak ahead of launch
Samsung's Galaxy S7 is set to debut in a matter of weeks and leaks about the platform are already piling up. The one thing no one can answer ...

Getty Images
Getty Images and Corbis Images conclude transaction for which Co-Founder and CEO of Getty Images waited almost 21 years.