f



Trouble with Skype.

Is anyone else having trouble signing into Skype. For no apparent reason 
I am getting the error: Cannot sign in to Skype. Skype is already open 
on this computer. I have even uninstalled it and am still getting the 
same message. Also uninstalled it on my Windows partition.

How do I quit skype with the terminal?
-- 


0
HGW
10/25/2016 9:16:40 AM
comp.os.linux.misc 33599 articles. 1 followers. amosa69 (78) is leader. Post Follow

24 Replies
422 Views

Similar Articles

[PageSpeed] 54

On 2016-10-25, HGW <hw@> wrote:
> Is anyone else having trouble signing into Skype. For no apparent reason 
> I am getting the error: Cannot sign in to Skype. Skype is already open 
> on this computer. I have even uninstalled it and am still getting the 
> same message. Also uninstalled it on my Windows partition.
>
> How do I quit skype with the terminal?

killall skype

0
William
10/25/2016 9:21:10 AM
On 25/10/16 20:21, William Unruh wrote:
> On 2016-10-25, HGW <hw@> wrote:
>> Is anyone else having trouble signing into Skype. For no apparent reason
>> I am getting the error: Cannot sign in to Skype. Skype is already open
>> on this computer. I have even uninstalled it and am still getting the
>> same message. Also uninstalled it on my Windows partition.
>>
>> How do I quit skype with the terminal?
>
> killall skype

I'm getting the old error message : Cannot sign in . Skype is already 
open on this computer.

It has been uninstalled and reinstalled and I still cannot sign in. I 
think there was a recent Skype update.
>


-- 


0
HGW
10/25/2016 9:32:50 AM
On 25/10/16 20:21, William Unruh wrote:
> On 2016-10-25, HGW <hw@> wrote:
>> Is anyone else having trouble signing into Skype. For no apparent reason
>> I am getting the error: Cannot sign in to Skype. Skype is already open
>> on this computer. I have even uninstalled it and am still getting the
>> same message. Also uninstalled it on my Windows partition.
>>
>> How do I quit skype with the terminal?
>
> killall skype

OK I fixed it. I renamed the old skype folder and reinstalled a new package.
Now I have to delete the old one without losing my records.


-- 


0
HGW
10/25/2016 9:37:17 AM
On 2016-10-25, HGW <hw@> wrote:
> On 25/10/16 20:21, William Unruh wrote:
>> On 2016-10-25, HGW <hw@> wrote:
>>> Is anyone else having trouble signing into Skype. For no apparent reason
>>> I am getting the error: Cannot sign in to Skype. Skype is already open
>>> on this computer. I have even uninstalled it and am still getting the
>>> same message. Also uninstalled it on my Windows partition.
>>>
>>> How do I quit skype with the terminal?
>>
>> killall skype
>
> I'm getting the old error message : Cannot sign in . Skype is already 
> open on this computer.
>
> It has been uninstalled and reinstalled and I still cannot sign in. I 
> think there was a recent Skype update.
>>
>

Did you type in that command? 

>
0
William
10/25/2016 11:45:31 AM
On 2016-10-25, HGW <hw@> wrote:

> How do I quit skype with the terminal?

If all else fails, type:

kill -9 skype

BTW, Skype has recently been heavily hacked.  By the IoT, no less. 

nb
0
notbob
10/25/2016 2:02:41 PM
On 2016-10-25, notbob <notbob@nothome.com> wrote:
> On 2016-10-25, HGW <hw@> wrote:
>
>> How do I quit skype with the terminal?
>
> If all else fails, type:
>
> kill -9 skype

kill takes a pid, not a name. I think you want
killall -9 skype
First try killall skype as that allows it to clean up before
disappearing. The -9 kills it instantly, not allowing any cleanup of the
program.

>
> BTW, Skype has recently been heavily hacked.  By the IoT, no less. 

What is IoT?


>
> nb
0
William
10/25/2016 2:35:51 PM
In <nunqk7$duk$1@dont-email.me> William Unruh:

[Snip...]

> What is IoT?

Internet of Things. See:

http://www.cnbc.com/2016/10/22/ddos-attack-sophisticated-highly-distributed-involved-millions-of-ip-addresses-dyn.html

-- 
Regards, Weird (Harold Stevens) * IMPORTANT EMAIL INFO FOLLOWS *
Pardon any bogus email addresses (wookie) in place for spambots.
Really, it's (wyrd) at att, dotted with net. * DO NOT SPAM IT. *
I toss GoogleGroup (http://twovoyagers.com/improve-usenet.org/).
0
Harold
10/25/2016 4:03:51 PM
On 2016-10-25, William Unruh <unruh@invalid.ca> wrote:

> kill takes a pid, not a name. I think you want
> killall -9 skype

Actually, I meant: pkill skype.  

> What is IoT?

An acronym fer Internet of Things.  Basically , its all them smart
phones, refrigerators, toasters, cars, tv's, etc. that will hook up to
the net.  Apparently the security on yer toaster's OS is less than
stellar.  ;)

nb
0
notbob
10/25/2016 5:03:46 PM
On 2016-10-25 11:37, HGW wrote:
> On 25/10/16 20:21, William Unruh wrote:
>> On 2016-10-25, HGW <hw@> wrote:
>>> Is anyone else having trouble signing into Skype. For no apparent reason
>>> I am getting the error: Cannot sign in to Skype. Skype is already open
>>> on this computer. I have even uninstalled it and am still getting the
>>> same message. Also uninstalled it on my Windows partition.
>>>
>>> How do I quit skype with the terminal?
>>
>> killall skype
> 
> OK I fixed it. I renamed the old skype folder and reinstalled a new
> package.
> Now I have to delete the old one without losing my records.

That points to some flag file in the directory that told skype that was
"already open". The trick is finding that file, then deleting it.

-- 
Cheers, Carlos.
0
Carlos
10/25/2016 6:27:04 PM
On 2016-10-25, Carlos E.R. <robin_listas@invalid.es> wrote:
> On 2016-10-25 11:37, HGW wrote:
>> On 25/10/16 20:21, William Unruh wrote:
>>> On 2016-10-25, HGW <hw@> wrote:
>>>> Is anyone else having trouble signing into Skype. For no apparent reason
>>>> I am getting the error: Cannot sign in to Skype. Skype is already open
>>>> on this computer. I have even uninstalled it and am still getting the
>>>> same message. Also uninstalled it on my Windows partition.
>>>>
>>>> How do I quit skype with the terminal?
>>>
>>> killall skype
>> 
>> OK I fixed it. I renamed the old skype folder and reinstalled a new
>> package.
>> Now I have to delete the old one without losing my records.
>
> That points to some flag file in the directory that told skype that was
> "already open". The trick is finding that file, then deleting it.

It seems the file tmp/qtsingleapp-localh-7882-3e8 is a lock file for
skype. It was created when I started skype and disappeared when I quit
skype. Thus it is probably the lock file that was giving you trouble. Of
course the exact nunbers might change.

0
William
10/25/2016 6:48:32 PM
On 10/25/2016 01:03 PM, notbob wrote:
> On 2016-10-25, William Unruh <unruh@invalid.ca> wrote:

> 
>> What is IoT?
> 
> An acronym fer Internet of Things.  Basically , its all them smart
> phones, refrigerators, toasters, cars, tv's, etc. that will hook up to
> the net.  Apparently the security on yer toaster's OS is less than
> stellar.  ;)
> 

Fortunately, my manual tooth-brush is still safe.
I am not so sure about my battery-powered one. ;-)


-- 
  .~.  Jean-David Beyer          Registered Linux User 85642.
  /V\  PGP-Key:166D840A 0C610C8B Registered Machine  1935521.
 /( )\ Shrewsbury, New Jersey    http://linuxcounter.net
 ^^-^^ 14:45:01 up 20 days, 21:07, 2 users, load average: 4.58, 4.54, 4.48
0
Jean
10/25/2016 6:50:15 PM
On 25/10/16 19:27, Carlos E.R. wrote:
> On 2016-10-25 11:37, HGW wrote:
>> On 25/10/16 20:21, William Unruh wrote:
>>> On 2016-10-25, HGW <hw@> wrote:
>>>> Is anyone else having trouble signing into Skype. For no apparent reason
>>>> I am getting the error: Cannot sign in to Skype. Skype is already open
>>>> on this computer. I have even uninstalled it and am still getting the
>>>> same message. Also uninstalled it on my Windows partition.
>>>>
>>>> How do I quit skype with the terminal?
>>>
>>> killall skype
>>
>> OK I fixed it. I renamed the old skype folder and reinstalled a new
>> package.
>> Now I have to delete the old one without losing my records.
>
> That points to some flag file in the directory that told skype that was
> "already open". The trick is finding that file, then deleting it.
>
~/.Skype/shared.lck ???


-- 
Future generations will wonder in bemused amazement that the early 
twenty-first century’s developed world went into hysterical panic over a 
globally average temperature increase of a few tenths of a degree, and, 
on the basis of gross exaggerations of highly uncertain computer 
projections combined into implausible chains of inference, proceeded to 
contemplate a rollback of the industrial age.

Richard Lindzen
0
The
10/25/2016 7:37:08 PM
On 25/10/16 19:50, Jean-David Beyer wrote:
> On 10/25/2016 01:03 PM, notbob wrote:
>> On 2016-10-25, William Unruh <unruh@invalid.ca> wrote:
>
>>
>>> What is IoT?
>>
>> An acronym fer Internet of Things.  Basically , its all them smart
>> phones, refrigerators, toasters, cars, tv's, etc. that will hook up to
>> the net.  Apparently the security on yer toaster's OS is less than
>> stellar.  ;)
>>
>
> Fortunately, my manual tooth-brush is still safe.
> I am not so sure about my battery-powered one. ;-)
>
>
IOT crap is what brought down the big DNS service that knocked out facebook.


-- 
Microsoft : the best reason to go to Linux that ever existed.
0
The
10/25/2016 7:39:07 PM
On 25 Oct 2016 17:03:46 GMT, notbob wrote:
>
> On 2016-10-25, William Unruh <unruh@invalid.ca> wrote:
>
>> What is IoT?
>
> An acronym fer Internet of Things.  Basically , its all them smart
> phones, refrigerators, toasters, cars, tv's, etc. that will hook up to
> the net.  Apparently the security on yer toaster's OS is less than
> stellar.  ;)

Not smart phones, unless compromised.
-- 
Andreas
You know you are a redneck if
you cut your toenails in front of company.
0
Andreas
10/25/2016 7:43:24 PM
On 2016-10-25, Andreas Kohlbach <octmanp20.16.ankman@spamgourmet.net> wrote:

> Not smart phones, unless compromised.

Ha!!

I read --every single day!-- of a security warning about some (Adroid/iPhony)
cellphone being hacked.  Hell, LG can't even bring a new model to
market w/o it bursting into flame.  Howza fridge with 3 internet
connected cameras gonna show?  

nb
0
notbob
10/25/2016 8:45:00 PM
On 26/10/16 05:27, Carlos E.R. wrote:
> On 2016-10-25 11:37, HGW wrote:
>> On 25/10/16 20:21, William Unruh wrote:
>>> On 2016-10-25, HGW <hw@> wrote:
>>>> Is anyone else having trouble signing into Skype. For no apparent reason
>>>> I am getting the error: Cannot sign in to Skype. Skype is already open
>>>> on this computer. I have even uninstalled it and am still getting the
>>>> same message. Also uninstalled it on my Windows partition.
>>>>
>>>> How do I quit skype with the terminal?
>>>
>>> killall skype
>>
>> OK I fixed it. I renamed the old skype folder and reinstalled a new
>> package.
>> Now I have to delete the old one without losing my records.
>
> That points to some flag file in the directory that told skype that was
> "already open". The trick is finding that file, then deleting it.

The error is common amongst windows users too, apparently.
There is plenty of advice as to how to remove the problem on that OS.I 
will try killing the old one. But I only changed he folder name so I 
might have to specify the exact path....maybe I will just delete the 
whole contents and hope the new installation is not affected.


Skype was great till MS took it ove



-- 


0
HGW
10/26/2016 12:40:38 AM
On 2016-10-26, HGW <hw@> wrote:
> On 26/10/16 05:27, Carlos E.R. wrote:
>> On 2016-10-25 11:37, HGW wrote:
>>> On 25/10/16 20:21, William Unruh wrote:
>>>> On 2016-10-25, HGW <hw@> wrote:
>>>>> Is anyone else having trouble signing into Skype. For no apparent reason
>>>>> I am getting the error: Cannot sign in to Skype. Skype is already open
>>>>> on this computer. I have even uninstalled it and am still getting the
>>>>> same message. Also uninstalled it on my Windows partition.
>>>>>
>>>>> How do I quit skype with the terminal?
>>>>
>>>> killall skype
>>>
>>> OK I fixed it. I renamed the old skype folder and reinstalled a new
>>> package.
>>> Now I have to delete the old one without losing my records.
>>
>> That points to some flag file in the directory that told skype that was
>> "already open". The trick is finding that file, then deleting it.
>
> The error is common amongst windows users too, apparently.
> There is plenty of advice as to how to remove the problem on that OS.I 
> will try killing the old one. But I only changed he folder name so I 
> might have to specify the exact path....maybe I will just delete the 
> whole contents and hope the new installation is not affected.

I pointed you to what I think is the file which Skype uses to signal it
is running. If you kill skype with say killall skype, or with Quit in
the Skype menu, it will clean up that file. If you killall -9 skype, or
your computer crashes, or you do an abrupt shutdown (alt-ctrl-del say)
it cannot cleanup and that problem will occur. rm tmp/qts* should get
rid of it.
Note that one file seems to be a sticky file --it is not removed on
shutdown but is also not checked.
qtsingleapp-localh-7882-3e8-lockfile
The other qtsingleapp-localh-7882-3e8 is created and removed and I think
is the signal to skype that something else is running, although its
presence does not seem to stop skype from starting. Also there are a
whole bunchof files created in .Skype one of which may be the trigger.

>
>
> Skype was great till MS took it ove

>
>
>
0
William
10/26/2016 7:58:50 AM
On 2016-10-26 09:58, William Unruh wrote:
> On 2016-10-26, HGW <hw@> wrote:
>> On 26/10/16 05:27, Carlos E.R. wrote:
>>> On 2016-10-25 11:37, HGW wrote:
>>>> On 25/10/16 20:21, William Unruh wrote:
>>>>> On 2016-10-25, HGW <hw@> wrote:
>>>>>> Is anyone else having trouble signing into Skype. For no apparent reason
>>>>>> I am getting the error: Cannot sign in to Skype. Skype is already open
>>>>>> on this computer. I have even uninstalled it and am still getting the
>>>>>> same message. Also uninstalled it on my Windows partition.
>>>>>>
>>>>>> How do I quit skype with the terminal?
>>>>>
>>>>> killall skype
>>>>
>>>> OK I fixed it. I renamed the old skype folder and reinstalled a new
>>>> package.
>>>> Now I have to delete the old one without losing my records.
>>>
>>> That points to some flag file in the directory that told skype that was
>>> "already open". The trick is finding that file, then deleting it.
>>
>> The error is common amongst windows users too, apparently.
>> There is plenty of advice as to how to remove the problem on that OS.I
>> will try killing the old one. But I only changed he folder name so I
>> might have to specify the exact path....maybe I will just delete the
>> whole contents and hope the new installation is not affected.
>
> I pointed you to what I think is the file which Skype uses to signal it
> is running. If you kill skype with say killall skype, [...]

It's purely bad programming. First of all, there should
be no impediment to running several instances of a program
at once, and second, it's poor practice to use lock files
to keep track of programs running. Who's going to remove
the lock file when its owner crashes? Why can't a new
instance detect that a lock file is stale, anyway?

These are habits that took root in the Micro$oft world,
and they are *bad* habits.

Jeroen Belleman


0
Jeroen
10/26/2016 9:21:21 AM
On 2016-10-26 11:21, Jeroen Belleman wrote:

> It's purely bad programming. First of all, there should
> be no impediment to running several instances of a program
> at once, and second, it's poor practice to use lock files
> to keep track of programs running. Who's going to remove
> the lock file when its owner crashes? Why can't a new
> instance detect that a lock file is stale, anyway?
> 
> These are habits that took root in the Micro$oft world,
> and they are *bad* habits.

Not really. I used code in Windows to detect other instances of the same
program. You can easily count the instances, and share vars. I'm unsure
about detecting the user.

There are several daemons in Linux that use lock files to detect another
instance running. And some do detect "stale lock files".

So not a Windows practice. Just a practice.

-- 
Cheers, Carlos.
0
Carlos
10/26/2016 3:14:46 PM
On 25 Oct 2016 20:45:00 GMT, notbob wrote:
>
> On 2016-10-25, Andreas Kohlbach <octmanp20.16.ankman@spamgourmet.net> wrote:
>
>> Not smart phones, unless compromised.
>
> Ha!!
>
> I read --every single day!-- of a security warning about some (Adroid/iPhony)
> cellphone being hacked.  Hell, LG can't even bring a new model to
> market w/o it bursting into flame.  Howza fridge with 3 internet
> connected cameras gonna show?  

So are computers in general. But that's not those IOT doing the
attacks. Smartphones don't have default passwords.
-- 
Andreas
You know you are a redneck if
you think the mountain men in deliverance were just"misunderstood".
0
Andreas
10/26/2016 7:33:05 PM
On 2016-10-26, Andreas Kohlbach <octmanp20.16.ankman@spamgourmet.net> wrote:


> Smartphones don't have default passwords.

So, how do you access yer cell phone to give it a personal password?

A hacker has a general plan.  Gain access to a remote computer/device,
do lots of 'em, amass an army of IoT devices, attack someone.  Not
exactly rocket science.  IoT devices are easy to gain access to, cuz
they have limited security.  Duh!

nb 
0
notbob
10/26/2016 7:50:08 PM
On 26 Oct 2016 19:50:08 GMT, notbob wrote:
>
> On 2016-10-26, Andreas Kohlbach <octmanp20.16.ankman@spamgourmet.net> wrote:
>
>
>> Smartphones don't have default passwords.
>
> So, how do you access yer cell phone to give it a personal password?

It's about remote access. You cannot remotely access your smart phone by
default. But you can many IOT devices.

> A hacker has a general plan.  Gain access to a remote computer/device,
> do lots of 'em, amass an army of IoT devices, attack someone.  Not
> exactly rocket science.  IoT devices are easy to gain access to, cuz
> they have limited security.  Duh!

While it's much harder with a smart phone. All I'm saying.
-- 
Andreas
You know you are a redneck if
you think the mountain men in deliverance were just"misunderstood".
0
Andreas
10/26/2016 8:52:13 PM
In article <6st6ed-v5o.ln1@Telcontar.valinor>, 
robin_listas@invalid.es says...
> 
> On 2016-10-26 11:21, Jeroen Belleman wrote:
> 
> > It's purely bad programming. First of all, there should
> > be no impediment to running several instances of a program
> > at once, and second, it's poor practice to use lock files
> > to keep track of programs running. Who's going to remove
> > the lock file when its owner crashes? Why can't a new
> > instance detect that a lock file is stale, anyway?
> > 
> > These are habits that took root in the Micro$oft world,
> > and they are *bad* habits.
> 
> Not really. I used code in Windows to detect other instances of the same
> program. You can easily count the instances, and share vars. I'm unsure
> about detecting the user.
> 
> There are several daemons in Linux that use lock files to detect another
> instance running. And some do detect "stale lock files".
> 
> So not a Windows practice. Just a practice.

In the case of skype, there's some hardware 
bookkeeping that would be greatly complicated by 
having multiple instances open on the same box--
which session gets the camera, which session 
gets the microphone, which session gets the 
speakers?
0
J
11/13/2016 3:36:25 PM
On 2016-11-13 16:36, J. Clarke wrote:
> In article <6st6ed-v5o.ln1@Telcontar.valinor>, 
> robin_listas@invalid.es says...
>>
>> On 2016-10-26 11:21, Jeroen Belleman wrote:
>>
>>> It's purely bad programming. First of all, there should
>>> be no impediment to running several instances of a program
>>> at once, and second, it's poor practice to use lock files
>>> to keep track of programs running. Who's going to remove
>>> the lock file when its owner crashes? Why can't a new
>>> instance detect that a lock file is stale, anyway?
>>>
>>> These are habits that took root in the Micro$oft world,
>>> and they are *bad* habits.
>>
>> Not really. I used code in Windows to detect other instances of the same
>> program. You can easily count the instances, and share vars. I'm unsure
>> about detecting the user.
>>
>> There are several daemons in Linux that use lock files to detect another
>> instance running. And some do detect "stale lock files".
>>
>> So not a Windows practice. Just a practice.
> 
> In the case of skype, there's some hardware 
> bookkeeping that would be greatly complicated by 
> having multiple instances open on the same box--
> which session gets the camera, which session 
> gets the microphone, which session gets the 
> speakers?

Yes. But I think that Windows has features to arbitrate that. Mmm...
anyway, in Windows you can not have two simultaneous sessions on the
same seat. You have to manually switch from one to another, in which
case I suppose the new one gets full control of the hardware.
Interesting problem.

In Linux you can get two sessions, yes, and go from one to other with a
key press combo, fast. I'm unsure who gets the ownership of the
hardware. I have not tried to open skype twice in this context, so I
don't know what it does.

-- 
Cheers, Carlos.
0
Carlos
11/13/2016 9:28:35 PM
Reply: