Trying to access Windows 10 Share from linux

If I use the android app ES File Explorer I can access the entire shared
partition(s) on a Win10 machine.  Using ESFE I can see all the shared
items in one view and proceed down the directory tree to get the
specific item(s) I want.

When I try to access that same windows machine directly from a linux
machine I can't seem to perfect the mount command.  If I start with

	smbclient -L //192.168.1.138 -U User

I get a table with 3 columns -- share name, type, comment.  If I take
one of the items, say, music I can mount that shared item with the
following command:

	mount -t cifs //192.169.1.138/music  /cifs -o user=User

the mount is successful.   What I want is to be able to access ALL the
shared items in one mount.  I've tried

	mount -t cifs //192.169.1.138/public  /cifs -o user=User

which doesn't work.  I've tried various other entries in place of music,
public, etc. with no success.

Any suggestion enabling mounting all mountable partitions in a single
mount command will be appreciated.

--
Cheers, Bev
If violence isn't solving the problem, you're not using enough of it.

On 17/10/16 20:23, The Real Bev wrote:
> If I use the android app ES File Explorer I can access the entire shared
> partition(s) on a Win10 machine.  Using ESFE I can see all the shared
> items in one view and proceed down the directory tree to get the
> specific item(s) I want.
>
> When I try to access that same windows machine directly from a linux
> machine I can't seem to perfect the mount command.  If I start with
>
>     smbclient -L //192.168.1.138 -U User
>
> I get a table with 3 columns -- share name, type, comment.  If I take
> one of the items, say, music I can mount that shared item with the
> following command:
>
>     mount -t cifs //192.169.1.138/music  /cifs -o user=User
>
> the mount is successful.   What I want is to be able to access ALL the
> shared items in one mount.  I've tried
>
>     mount -t cifs //192.169.1.138/public  /cifs -o user=User
>
> which doesn't work.  I've tried various other entries in place of music,
> public, etc. with no success.

|Have you exoprted them ('shared' them) on the Winpuke box?

> Any suggestion enabling mounting all mountable partitions in a single
> mount command will be appreciated.

cant be done.

Individual shares are separate mount commands.

If you want to just type 'buggerit' and have it all done, write a
script. Called 'buggerit'

The
10/17/2016 8:39:42 PM
The Real Bev decreed, Read These Runes!:
> If I use the android app ES File Explorer I can access the entire shared
> partition(s) on a Win10 machine.  Using ESFE I can see all the shared
> items in one view and proceed down the directory tree to get the
> specific item(s) I want.
>
> When I try to access that same windows machine directly from a linux
> machine I can't seem to perfect the mount command.  If I start with
>
>     smbclient -L //192.168.1.138 -U User
>
> I get a table with 3 columns -- share name, type, comment.  If I take
> one of the items, say, music I can mount that shared item with the
> following command:
>
>     mount -t cifs //192.169.1.138/music  /cifs -o user=User
>
> the mount is successful.   What I want is to be able to access ALL the
> shared items in one mount.  I've tried
>
>     mount -t cifs //192.169.1.138/public  /cifs -o user=User
>
> which doesn't work.  I've tried various other entries in place of music,
> public, etc. with no success.
>
> Any suggestion enabling mounting all mountable partitions in a single
> mount command will be appreciated.

I use Thunar (the Xfce4 file manager) for this.  In the pathbar:

smb://192.168.1.138

will give you a login prompt.  Make sure the username is exactly as in
the winbox /User file.  e.g. for some reason my name got truncated and
that is the way I have to sign in.

Rinaldi
--
Every journalist has a novel in him, which is an excellent place for it.
0
On 2016-10-17, The Real Bev <bashley101@gmail.com> wrote:

> When I try to access that same windows machine directly from a linux
> machine I can't seem to perfect the mount command.

https://www.samba.org/samba/docs/using_samba/toc.html

nb
0
notbob
10/17/2016 9:45:14 PM
On 10/17/2016 02:45 PM, notbob wrote:
> On 2016-10-17, The Real Bev <bashley101@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> When I try to access that same windows machine directly from a linux
>> machine I can't seem to perfect the mount command.
>
> https://www.samba.org/samba/docs/using_samba/toc.html

I just looked at the TOC and found nothing particularly relevant, but
I've been known to be wrong.  Is this just general advice, along the
lines of "Read the manual, asshole" or do you KNOW there's something
useful there?

--
Cheers, Bev
   Jesus saves.  Buddha makes incremental backups.
On 10/17/2016 03:14 PM, The Real Bev wrote:
> On 10/17/2016 02:45 PM, notbob wrote:
>> On 2016-10-17, The Real Bev <bashley101@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> When I try to access that same windows machine directly from a linux
>>> machine I can't seem to perfect the mount command.
>>
>> https://www.samba.org/samba/docs/using_samba/toc.html
>
> I just looked at the TOC and found nothing particularly relevant, but
> I've been known to be wrong.  Is this just general advice, along the
> lines of "Read the manual, asshole" or do you KNOW there's something
> useful there?

	Well I do not know what tools you are using but maybe you
should try using a gui tool like gparted from a cd or usb flash
drive and mounting all the partitions you want to see under
/media. The reason i suggest this is because of the results
i get on my HP Pavilion notebook.
[bliss@box ~]$ df
/dev/root       3.6G  2.8G  549M  84% /
/dev            5.5G  1.1M  5.5G   1% /dev
none            5.5G  388K  5.5G   1% /dev/shm
/dev/sda2       256M   99M  158M  39% /boot/efi
/dev/sda10      106G   80G   27G  76% /home
/dev/sda4        59G   49G   10G  84% /media/win_c = Windows 8.1
/dev/sda5        98G   28G   71G  28% /media/win_d = A space to be
shared between Windows and Linux.
/dev/sda9        21G  5.7G   14G  30% /usr
/dev/sda8        11G  4.6G  5.0G  48% /usr/local

	NP and nb are so skilled that their advice is frequently
difficult for newer users to understand.  Especially if sarcasm
or irony is mixed into the advice.

	bliss

--
bliss dash SF 4 ever at dslextreme dot com
0
On 10/17/2016 01:39 PM, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
> On 17/10/16 20:23, The Real Bev wrote:
>> If I use the android app ES File Explorer I can access the entire shared
>> partition(s) on a Win10 machine.  Using ESFE I can see all the shared
>> items in one view and proceed down the directory tree to get the
>> specific item(s) I want.
>>
>> When I try to access that same windows machine directly from a linux
>> machine I can't seem to perfect the mount command.  If I start with
>>
>>     smbclient -L //192.168.1.138 -U User
>>
>> I get a table with 3 columns -- share name, type, comment.  If I take
>> one of the items, say, music I can mount that shared item with the
>> following command:

All the 169s should be 168s.  Stupid typos.

>>     mount -t cifs //192.169.1.138/music  /cifs -o user=User
>>
>> the mount is successful.   What I want is to be able to access ALL the
>> shared items in one mount.  I've tried
>>
>>     mount -t cifs //192.169.1.138/public  /cifs -o user=User
>>
>> which doesn't work.  I've tried various other entries in place of music,
>> public, etc. with no success.
>
> |Have you exoprted them ('shared' them) on the Winpuke box?

This is a friend's computer.  She shared them, but it might have been on
an individual subdirectory basis rather than the entire
drive/partition/directory, which might cause a problem.  She doesn't
remember.

>> Any suggestion enabling mounting all mountable partitions in a single
>> mount command will be appreciated.
>>
> cant be done.
>
> Individual shares are separate mount commands.

Is this required by win10? C:\Shared on my win7 computer contains a
number of subdirectories, all of which I can see in my mountpoint
/windows.

> If you want to just type 'buggerit' and have it all done, write a
> script. Called 'buggerit'

:-)

--
Cheers, Bev
   Jesus saves.  Buddha makes incremental backups.
0
The
10/17/2016 10:57:02 PM
On 10/17/2016 02:39 PM, Rinaldi wrote:
> The Real Bev decreed, Read These Runes!:
>> Any suggestion enabling mounting all mountable partitions in a single
>> mount command will be appreciated.
>
> I use Thunar (the Xfce4 file manager) for this.  In the pathbar:
>
> smb://192.168.1.138
>
> will give you a login prompt.  Make sure the username is exactly as in
> the winbox /User file.  e.g. for some reason my name got truncated and
> that is the way I have to sign in.

GUI.  Luddite.  We've been here before :-(

--
Cheers, Bev
Eat this, NSA: bomb assassinate Washington North Korea Iraq spy poison

0
The
10/17/2016 10:59:06 PM
On 10/17/2016 03:35 PM, Bobbie Sellers wrote:
> On 10/17/2016 03:14 PM, The Real Bev wrote:

>>> https://www.samba.org/samba/docs/using_samba/toc.html
>>
>> I just looked at the TOC and found nothing particularly relevant, but
>> I've been known to be wrong.  Is this just general advice, along the
>> lines of "Read the manual, asshole" or do you KNOW there's something
>> useful there?

Perhaps I should have mentioned that the windows machine in question is
NOT on our network, but located at a friend's house.  She is able to see
files on her linux machine from her windows machine, but not vice versa.
  We're looking for a solution that both of us can use on her system.

I use the following to log in to my win7 machine:

	mount -t cifs -o username=Me,workgroup=Administrators \
	//10.0.0.136/Shared /windows

This command was assembled using the kindness of strangers.  No idea why
the equivalent doesn't work for her.

The intent is, among other things, to be able to move large numbers of
files (hundreds of thousands of photo files backed up [or not] on other
partitions and drives) around between various
drives/partitions/subdirectories on her machine.  Being able to mount
only one entity at a time won't work.

> 	Well I do not know what tools you are using

Command line.

> but maybe you
> should try using a gui tool like gparted from a cd or usb flash
> drive and mounting all the partitions you want to see under
> /media. The reason i suggest this is because of the results
> i get on my HP Pavilion notebook.
> [bliss@box ~]$ df
> Filesystem      Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
> /dev/root       3.6G  2.8G  549M  84% /
> /dev            5.5G  1.1M  5.5G   1% /dev
> none            5.5G  388K  5.5G   1% /dev/shm
> /dev/sda2       256M   99M  158M  39% /boot/efi
> /dev/sda10      106G   80G   27G  76% /home
> /dev/sda4        59G   49G   10G  84% /media/win_c = Windows 8.1
> /dev/sda5        98G   28G   71G  28% /media/win_d = A space to be
> shared between Windows and Linux.
> /dev/sda9        21G  5.7G   14G  30% /usr
> /dev/sda8        11G  4.6G  5.0G  48% /usr/local
>

> 	NP and nb are so skilled that their advice is frequently
> difficult for newer users to understand.  Especially if sarcasm
> or irony is mixed into the advice.

Indeed.

--
Cheers, Bev
Eat this, NSA: bomb assassinate Washington North Korea Iraq spy poison
ISIS AlQaeda Bush Clinton Pelosi Reid

0
The
10/17/2016 11:14:02 PM
On Mon, 17 Oct 2016 12:23:41 -0700, The Real Bev
<bashley101@gmail.com> wrote:

>If I use the android app ES File Explorer I can access the entire shared
>partition(s) on a Win10 machine.  Using ESFE I can see all the shared
>items in one view and proceed down the directory tree to get the
>specific item(s) I want.
>
>When I try to access that same windows machine directly from a linux
>machine I can't seem to perfect the mount command.  If I start with
>
>	smbclient -L //192.168.1.138 -U User
>
>I get a table with 3 columns -- share name, type, comment.  If I take
>one of the items, say, music I can mount that shared item with the
>following command:
>
>	mount -t cifs //192.169.1.138/music  /cifs -o user=User
>
>the mount is successful.   What I want is to be able to access ALL the
>shared items in one mount.  I've tried
>
>	mount -t cifs //192.169.1.138/public  /cifs -o user=User
>
>which doesn't work.  I've tried various other entries in place of music,
>public, etc. with no success.
>
>Any suggestion enabling mounting all mountable partitions in a single
>mount command will be appreciated.

If you're using a linux with a windowing evironment then most likely
your "file manage" provides a mount operation.  With your disk manager
displayed look for a line or option that reads "network" and if you
follow the resulting prompt you should be able to "see" the shared
drive and also connect to it.  THere is usually an option that allows
reconnection automatically after boot.

Another alternative is to download and install Webmin, a browser based
systems managemet tool.  This provides a good level or IPv4 options to
connect at will.

Just my $.02 worth - Good luck
0
bobm3
10/18/2016 2:11:57 AM
The Real Bev decreed, Read These Runes!:
> On 10/17/2016 02:39 PM, Rinaldi wrote:
>> The Real Bev decreed, Read These Runes!:
>>> Any suggestion enabling mounting all mountable partitions in a single
>>> mount command will be appreciated.
>>
>> I use Thunar (the Xfce4 file manager) for this.  In the pathbar:
>>
>> smb://192.168.1.138
>>
>> will give you a login prompt.  Make sure the username is exactly as in
>> the winbox /User file.  e.g. for some reason my name got truncated and
>> that is the way I have to sign in.
>
> GUI.  Luddite.  We've been here before :-(

Modern Thunar has a GUI for this.  Just enter the smb://* in the path bar.

Rinaldi
--
.... My pants just went on a wild rampage through a Long Island Bowling
Alley!!
On 2016-10-17, The Real Bev <bashley101@gmail.com> wrote:

> I just looked at the TOC and found nothing particularly relevant, but
> I've been known to be wrong.  Is this just general advice, along the
> lines of "Read the manual, asshole" or do you KNOW there's something
> useful there?

Geez, I'm old!

Fergot all that stuff you asked me.  All I know is, it helped me in my
early experience with networks.  I could easily see the "folders" on my
W98SE box from my Slackware box with jes a few lines in.....
one 'o dem chapter thingies.....  Don't ask me where.  I'm old.

I know Linux still has the tools, but is Windows still using smb?  Got
me.  I haven't used Windows in yrs.  ;)

nb
0
notbob
10/18/2016 4:06:16 AM
On 17/10/16 23:57, The Real Bev wrote:
> On 10/17/2016 01:39 PM, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
>> On 17/10/16 20:23, The Real Bev wrote:
>>> If I use the android app ES File Explorer I can access the entire shared
>>> partition(s) on a Win10 machine.  Using ESFE I can see all the shared
>>> items in one view and proceed down the directory tree to get the
>>> specific item(s) I want.
>>>
>>> When I try to access that same windows machine directly from a linux
>>> machine I can't seem to perfect the mount command.  If I start with
>>>
>>>     smbclient -L //192.168.1.138 -U User
>>>
>>> I get a table with 3 columns -- share name, type, comment.  If I take
>>> one of the items, say, music I can mount that shared item with the
>>> following command:
>
> All the 169s should be 168s.  Stupid typos.
>
>>>     mount -t cifs //192.169.1.138/music  /cifs -o user=User
>>>
>>> the mount is successful.   What I want is to be able to access ALL the
>>> shared items in one mount.  I've tried
>>>
>>>     mount -t cifs //192.169.1.138/public  /cifs -o user=User
>>>
>>> which doesn't work.  I've tried various other entries in place of music,
>>> public, etc. with no success.
>>
>> |Have you exoprted them ('shared' them) on the Winpuke box?
>
> This is a friend's computer.  She shared them, but it might have been on
> an individual subdirectory basis rather than the entire
> drive/partition/directory, which might cause a problem.  She doesn't
> remember.
>
>>> Any suggestion enabling mounting all mountable partitions in a single
>>> mount command will be appreciated.
>>>
>> cant be done.
>>
>> Individual shares are separate mount commands.
>
> Is this required by win10? C:\Shared on my win7 computer contains a
> number of subdirectories, all of which I can see in my mountpoint /windows.

Because presumably c:\shared is EXPORTED ('shared' in winspeak).

>> If you want to just type 'buggerit' and have it all done, write a
>> script. Called 'buggerit'
>
> :-)

Look I think the fundamental pint of ignorance is that an SMB server
like windows 'serves' only what it has been told to serve, and only in
the way its been told to serve it.

You need to go on to the winpuke box and export (share) the diercotry
(folder) that is the root folder54 you want to see remotely

The fact that you can mout one directory OK shows that the SMB stuff is
all installed and working. Its just that the Winpuke isn't exporting
what you want to mount.

You can use IIRC smbclient -L to show what is being exported by a remote
server.

its shoes.
0
The
10/18/2016 8:54:48 AM
On 10/17/2016 12:23 PM, The Real Bev wrote:
> If I use the android app ES File Explorer I can access the entire shared
> partition(s) on a Win10 machine.  Using ESFE I can see all the shared
> items in one view and proceed down the directory tree to get the
> specific item(s) I want.

Thanks for your efforts, guys.  BUT what's needed is the syntax of the
mount command that will do the same as ES File Explorer for android --
show the entire shared structure as a single structure rather than
requiring individual mount commands for each entity -- which could
possibly require hundreds of mount commands.

--
Cheers, Bev
    Todd Flanders' hobbies include being quiet on long rides,
On 18/10/16 17:37, The Real Bev wrote:
> On 10/17/2016 12:23 PM, The Real Bev wrote:
>> If I use the android app ES File Explorer I can access the entire shared
>> partition(s) on a Win10 machine.  Using ESFE I can see all the shared
>> items in one view and proceed down the directory tree to get the
>> specific item(s) I want.
>
> Thanks for your efforts, guys.  BUT what's needed is the syntax of the
> mount command that will do the same as ES File Explorer for android --
> show the entire shared structure as a single structure rather than
> requiring individual mount commands for each entity -- which could
> possibly require hundreds of mount commands.

You haven't been listening. The client cannot show what the server is
not (configured to) reveal.

smbclient -L <serverIPaddress> shows what it IS configured to reveal.

If you want to mount a whole tree, you must 'share' the root of the
tree. Not a few of its branches....

Josef Stalin
0
The
10/18/2016 6:56:55 PM
On 10/18/2016 11:56 AM, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
> On 18/10/16 17:37, The Real Bev wrote:
>> On 10/17/2016 12:23 PM, The Real Bev wrote:
>>> If I use the android app ES File Explorer I can access the entire shared
>>> partition(s) on a Win10 machine.  Using ESFE I can see all the shared
>>> items in one view and proceed down the directory tree to get the
>>> specific item(s) I want.
>>
>> Thanks for your efforts, guys.  BUT what's needed is the syntax of the
>> mount command that will do the same as ES File Explorer for android --
>> show the entire shared structure as a single structure rather than
>> requiring individual mount commands for each entity -- which could
>> possibly require hundreds of mount commands.
>>
> You haven't been listening. The client cannot show what the server is
> not (configured to) reveal.
>
> smbclient -L <serverIPaddress> shows what it IS configured to reveal.
>
> If you want to mount a whole tree, you must 'share' the root of the
> tree. Not a few of its branches....

Yes, clearly.

So do you know what ES File Explorer does that a linux 'mount' command
can't?  As mentioned in my first post, ES File Explorer can see the
entire tree, not just individual specified branches.

--
Cheers, Bev
   "John Wayne toilet paper -- It's rough, it's tough,
On 18/10/16 20:28, The Real Bev wrote:
> On 10/18/2016 11:56 AM, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
>>>
>>> Thanks for your efforts, guys.  BUT what's needed is the syntax of the
>>> mount command that will do the same as ES File Explorer for android --
>>> show the entire shared structure as a single structure rather than
>>> requiring individual mount commands for each entity -- which could
>>> possibly require hundreds of mount commands.
>>>
>> You haven't been listening. The client cannot show what the server is
>> not (configured to) reveal.
>>
>> smbclient -L <serverIPaddress> shows what it IS configured to reveal.
>>
>> If you want to mount a whole tree, you must 'share' the root of the
>> tree. Not a few of its branches....
>
> Yes, clearly.
>
> So do you know what ES File Explorer does that a linux 'mount' command
> can't?

No, I dont.
Where is this ES file explorer running?

> As mentioned in my first post, ES File Explorer can see the
> entire tree, not just individual specified branches.

Well what does smbclient -L show?

Lucas Bergkamp
0
The
10/18/2016 7:52:39 PM
On 2016-10-18, The Real Bev <bashley101@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 10/17/2016 12:23 PM, The Real Bev wrote:
>> If I use the android app ES File Explorer I can access the entire shared
>> partition(s) on a Win10 machine.  Using ESFE I can see all the shared
>> items in one view and proceed down the directory tree to get the
>> specific item(s) I want.
>
> Thanks for your efforts, guys.  BUT what's needed is the syntax of the
> mount command that will do the same as ES File Explorer for android --
> show the entire shared structure as a single structure rather than
> requiring individual mount commands for each entity -- which could
> possibly require hundreds of mount commands.

Hundreds? No. There are not hundreds of partitions. Each partition
requires a mount command. But we have absolutely no idea what you have
on your system, so telling you how to accomplish what you want is
impossible

0
William
10/18/2016 9:00:36 PM
The Real Bev <bashley101@gmail.com> writes:

> On 10/18/2016 11:56 AM, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
>>>
>>> Thanks for your efforts, guys.  BUT what's needed is the syntax of the
>>> mount command that will do the same as ES File Explorer for android --
>>> show the entire shared structure as a single structure rather than
>>> requiring individual mount commands for each entity -- which could
>>> possibly require hundreds of mount commands.
>>>
>> You haven't been listening. The client cannot show what the server is
>> not (configured to) reveal.
>>
>> smbclient -L <serverIPaddress> shows what it IS configured to reveal.
>>
>> If you want to mount a whole tree, you must 'share' the root of the
>> tree. Not a few of its branches....
>
> Yes, clearly.
>
> So do you know what ES File Explorer does that a linux 'mount' command
> can't?  As mentioned in my first post, ES File Explorer can see the
> entire tree, not just individual specified branches.

ES File Explorer sees all the exports.
For me, it first lists the system the exports are coming from.
When I click on the system name, it shows the exports from that
system.  (Exactly like 'smbclient -L hostname'.)
Then when I click on one of the exports it accesses the files
in that export.

Essentially the same thing that Samba on Linux does.

--
Dan Espen
0
On 10/18/2016 02:00 PM, William Unruh wrote:
> On 2016-10-18, The Real Bev <bashley101@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On 10/17/2016 12:23 PM, The Real Bev wrote:
>>> If I use the android app ES File Explorer I can access the entire shared
>>> partition(s) on a Win10 machine.  Using ESFE I can see all the shared
>>> items in one view and proceed down the directory tree to get the
>>> specific item(s) I want.
>>
>> Thanks for your efforts, guys.  BUT what's needed is the syntax of the
>> mount command that will do the same as ES File Explorer for android --
>> show the entire shared structure as a single structure rather than
>> requiring individual mount commands for each entity -- which could
>> possibly require hundreds of mount commands.
>
> Hundreds? No. There are not hundreds of partitions. Each partition
> requires a mount command. But we have absolutely no idea what you have
> on your system, so telling you how to accomplish what you want is
> impossible

One partition containing possibly hundreds of subdirectories.  ES File
Explorer can see everything in the partition;  the mount command can
only access ONE subdirectory per mount command.  Accordingly, if one
wished to move files around from all the subdirectories (assume that
each subdirectory's name is the date that the photos contained therein
were taken) one would have to issue hundreds of mount commands, creating
a truly ugly result from 'df'.

Of course a script could be written to accomplish those tasks, but
surely it's not beyond 'mount' to mount the entire tree, assuming it has
been shared.  What magical power does ES File Explorer possess that
linux lacks?

--
Cheers, Bev
  "If you were trying to be offensive, you would have succeeded if I

0
The
10/19/2016 2:46:58 AM
On 10/18/2016 12:52 PM, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
> On 18/10/16 20:28, The Real Bev wrote:

>>> You haven't been listening. The client cannot show what the server is
>>> not (configured to) reveal.
>>>
>>> smbclient -L <serverIPaddress> shows what it IS configured to reveal.
>>>
>>> If you want to mount a whole tree, you must 'share' the root of the
>>> tree. Not a few of its branches....
>>
>> Yes, clearly.
>>
>> So do you know what ES File Explorer does that a linux 'mount' command
>> can't?
>
> No, I dont.
> Where is this ES file explorer running?
>
>> As mentioned in my first post, ES File Explorer can see the
>> entire tree, not just individual specified branches.

Android, as mentioned originally and shown a few paragraphs above.

> Well what does smbclient -L show?

Can't log in to the target machine now, but I'll try later.

--
Cheers, Bev
    There is no such thing as a foolproof device
On 10/18/2016 04:26 PM, Dan Espen wrote:
> The Real Bev <bashley101@gmail.com> writes:

>>> You haven't been listening. The client cannot show what the server is
>>> not (configured to) reveal.
>>>
>>> smbclient -L <serverIPaddress> shows what it IS configured to reveal.
>>>
>>> If you want to mount a whole tree, you must 'share' the root of the
>>> tree. Not a few of its branches....
>>
>> Yes, clearly.
>>
>> So do you know what ES File Explorer does that a linux 'mount' command
>> can't?  As mentioned in my first post, ES File Explorer can see the
>> entire tree, not just individual specified branches.
>
> ES File Explorer sees all the exports.
> For me, it first lists the system the exports are coming from.
> When I click on the system name, it shows the exports from that
> system.  (Exactly like 'smbclient -L hostname'.)
> Then when I click on one of the exports it accesses the files
> in that export.
>
> Essentially the same thing that Samba on Linux does.

Can you PLEEEEASE give an example of your mount command?

--
Cheers, Bev
    There is no such thing as a foolproof device
    because fools are so ingenious.
0
The
10/19/2016 2:50:04 AM
On 2016-10-19, The Real Bev <bashley101@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 10/18/2016 02:00 PM, William Unruh wrote:
>>>
>>> Thanks for your efforts, guys.  BUT what's needed is the syntax of the
>>> mount command that will do the same as ES File Explorer for android --
>>> show the entire shared structure as a single structure rather than
>>> requiring individual mount commands for each entity -- which could
>>> possibly require hundreds of mount commands.
>>
>> Hundreds? No. There are not hundreds of partitions. Each partition
>> requires a mount command. But we have absolutely no idea what you have
>> on your system, so telling you how to accomplish what you want is
>> impossible
>
> One partition containing possibly hundreds of subdirectories.  ES File
> Explorer can see everything in the partition;  the mount command can

mount the partition. Then ls on the mount point sees all the
subdirectories.

> only access ONE subdirectory per mount command.  Accordingly, if one

Yes. The partition. Then everything is available.

> wished to move files around from all the subdirectories (assume that
> each subdirectory's name is the date that the photos contained therein
> were taken) one would have to issue hundreds of mount commands, creating
> a truly ugly result from 'df'.

Of course not

> Of course a script could be written to accomplish those tasks, but
> surely it's not beyond 'mount' to mount the entire tree, assuming it has
> been shared.  What magical power does ES File Explorer possess that
> linux lacks?
None

0
William
10/19/2016 5:52:22 AM
On Tue, 18 Oct 2016 12:28:40 -0700, The Real Bev wrote:

> On 10/18/2016 11:56 AM, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
>>>
>>> Thanks for your efforts, guys.  BUT what's needed is the syntax of the
>>> mount command that will do the same as ES File Explorer for android --
>>> show the entire shared structure as a single structure rather than
>>> requiring individual mount commands for each entity -- which could
>>> possibly require hundreds of mount commands.
>>>
>> You haven't been listening. The client cannot show what the server is
>> not (configured to) reveal.
>>
>> smbclient -L <serverIPaddress> shows what it IS configured to reveal.
>>
>> If you want to mount a whole tree, you must 'share' the root of the
>> tree. Not a few of its branches....
>
> Yes, clearly.
>
> So do you know what ES File Explorer does that a linux 'mount' command
> can't?  As mentioned in my first post, ES File Explorer can see the
> entire tree, not just individual specified branches.

ES File Explorer is a friendly GUI which is effectively doing the
necessary mounts and unmounts for you behind the curtain.
0
Joe
10/19/2016 1:50:22 PM
The Real Bev <bashley101@gmail.com> writes:

> On 10/18/2016 04:26 PM, Dan Espen wrote:
>> The Real Bev <bashley101@gmail.com> writes:

>>> Yes, clearly.
>>>
>>> So do you know what ES File Explorer does that a linux 'mount' command
>>> can't?  As mentioned in my first post, ES File Explorer can see the
>>> entire tree, not just individual specified branches.
>>
>> ES File Explorer sees all the exports.
>> For me, it first lists the system the exports are coming from.
>> When I click on the system name, it shows the exports from that
>> system.  (Exactly like 'smbclient -L hostname'.)
>> Then when I click on one of the exports it accesses the files
>> in that export.
>>
>> Essentially the same thing that Samba on Linux does.
>
> Can you PLEEEEASE give an example of your mount command?

My desktop is Linux, I use ES File Explorer on Android and Kindle.
I don't do any mounts on the desktop.  When I want to import
photos from the Kindle and Android, I use MTP (gphoto2).

--
Dan Espen
0
On 10/18/2016 12:52 PM, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
> On 18/10/16 20:28, The Real Bev wrote:

>>> You haven't been listening. The client cannot show what the server is
>>> not (configured to) reveal.
>>>
>>> smbclient -L <serverIPaddress> shows what it IS configured to reveal.
>>>
>>> If you want to mount a whole tree, you must 'share' the root of the
>>> tree. Not a few of its branches....
>>
>> Yes, clearly.
>>
>> So do you know what ES File Explorer does that a linux 'mount' command
>> can't?
>
> No, I dont.
> Where is this ES file explorer running?
>
>> As mentioned in my first post, ES File Explorer can see the
>> entire tree, not just individual specified branches.
>>
> Well what does smbclient -L show?

smbclient -L //192.168.1.138 -U USER%PASSWORD
echo choose what to mount:
read ee
mount -t cifs "//192.168.1.138/$ee" MOUNTPOINT -o\
user=USER,password=PASSWORD

As you can see, this mount command mounts only one item of those shown
by smbclient -L.  As I've said repeatedly, the ES File Explorer app
running on Android (under linux) shows the entire tree at once, and you
can browse around from entry to entry at will.

Others have suggested mounting the entire partition.  The windows
machine isn't configured like linux;  in this case, it has 7 drives each
with a single partition.

I have previously used "drive" and "partition" here more or less
interchangeably, which might not have been proper.

--
Cheers, Bev
   You need only three tools: WD-40, duct tape and a hammer. If it doesn't

0
The
10/19/2016 4:17:36 PM
On 2016-10-19 18:17, The Real Bev wrote:

>> Well what does smbclient -L show?
>
> smbclient -L //192.168.1.138 -U USER%PASSWORD
> echo choose what to mount:
> read ee
> mount -t cifs "//192.168.1.138/$ee" MOUNTPOINT -o\
> user=USER,password=PASSWORD

That's not the output of the commend "smbclient -L". Why don't you paste
it here for us to see?

# smbclient -L MachineIP
Enter root's password:
Domain=[DOMINIO] OS=[Windows 6.1] Server=[Samba
4.2.4-3.54.2-3638-SUSE-oS13.1-i386]

	Sharename       Type      Comment
	---------       ----      -------
	profiles        Disk      Network Profiles Service
	users           Disk      All users
	groups          Disk      All groups
	print$          Disk      Printer Drivers

We want to see that for further help.

--
Cheers, Carlos.
0
On 19/10/16 17:17, The Real Bev wrote:
> On 10/18/2016 12:52 PM, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

>>> Yes, clearly.
>>>
>>> So do you know what ES File Explorer does that a linux 'mount' command
>>> can't?
>>
>> No, I dont.
>> Where is this ES file explorer running?
>>
>>> As mentioned in my first post, ES File Explorer can see the
>>> entire tree, not just individual specified branches.
>>>
>> Well what does smbclient -L show?
>
> smbclient -L //192.168.1.138 -U USER%PASSWORD
> echo choose what to mount:
> read ee
> mount -t cifs "//192.168.1.138/$ee" MOUNTPOINT -o\
> user=USER,password=PASSWORD
>
> As you can see, this mount command mounts only one item of those shown
> by smbclient -L.  As I've said repeatedly, the ES File Explorer app
> running on Android (under linux) shows the entire tree at once, and you
> can browse around from entry to entry at will.
>
> Others have suggested mounting the entire partition.  The windows
> machine isn't configured like linux;  in this case, it has 7 drives each
> with a single partition.
>
> I have previously used "drive" and "partition" here more or less
> interchangeably, which might not have been proper.

Well then you need a script tyaht will do the following

Show all possible 'shares'
For each share
If there is a no mount point for it, create one.
Mount the share.

--
"If you don’t read the news paper, you are un-informed. If you read the
news paper, you are mis-informed."

Mark Twain
0
The
10/19/2016 8:15:10 PM
On 10/19/2016 11:20 AM, Carlos E.R. wrote:
> On 2016-10-19 18:17, The Real Bev wrote:
>
>>> Well what does smbclient -L show?
>>
>> smbclient -L //192.168.1.138 -U USER%PASSWORD
>> echo choose what to mount:
>> read ee
>> mount -t cifs "//192.168.1.138/$ee" MOUNTPOINT -o\
>> user=USER,password=PASSWORD
>
> That's not the output of the commend "smbclient -L". Why don't you paste
> it here for us to see?
>
> # smbclient -L MachineIP
> Enter root's password:
> Domain=[DOMINIO] OS=[Windows 6.1] Server=[Samba
> 4.2.4-3.54.2-3638-SUSE-oS13.1-i386]
>
> 	Sharename       Type      Comment
> 	---------       ----      -------
> 	profiles        Disk      Network Profiles Service
> 	users           Disk      All users
> 	groups          Disk      All groups
> 	print$          Disk      Printer Drivers
>
> We want to see that for further help.

         Sharename       Type      Comment
         ---------       ----      -------
         2014            Disk
         A playlist      Disk
         ADMIN$          Disk      Remote Admin
         C$              Disk      Default share
         Documents       Disk
         E$              Disk      Default share
         F               Disk
         F$              Disk      Default share
         facebook photos Disk
         from iPhone     Disk
         from sharepod   Disk
         G               Disk
         G$              Disk      Default share
         H$              Disk      Default share
         I               Disk
         I$              Disk      Default share
         IPC$            IPC       Remote IPC
         iphone6 new pics Disk
         iPod backup     Disk
         J               Disk
         J$              Disk      Default share
         L$              Disk      Default share
         Movies          Disk
         mp4s            Disk
         Music           Disk
         Music2          Disk
         Pictures        Disk
         print$          Disk      Printer Drivers
         TV Shows        Disk
         Users           Disk
         Videos          Disk

--
Ch  rs, B v
    My f ck ng k yb  rd h s l st  ts v w ls.
On 2016-10-19 20:20, Carlos E.R. wrote:
> On 2016-10-19 18:17, The Real Bev wrote:

> # smbclient -L MachineIP
> Enter root's password:
> Domain=[DOMINIO] OS=[Windows 6.1] Server=[Samba
> 4.2.4-3.54.2-3638-SUSE-oS13.1-i386]
>
> 	Sharename       Type      Comment
> 	---------       ----      -------
> 	profiles        Disk      Network Profiles Service
> 	users           Disk      All users
> 	groups          Disk      All groups
> 	print$          Disk      Printer Drivers

> We want to see that for further help.

I'm trying to replicate with a Windows 10 laptop, and I can't.

Telcontar:~ # smbclient -L 192.168.1.50
Enter root's password:
session setup failed: NT_STATUS_LOGON_FAILURE
Telcontar:~ # smbclient -L 192.168.1.50
Enter root's password:
session setup failed: NT_STATUS_LOGON_FAILURE
Telcontar:~ # smbclient -L //minas-morgul
Enter root's password:
session setup failed: NT_STATUS_LOGON_FAILURE
Telcontar:~ # man smbclient
Telcontar:~ # smbclient -L //minas-morgul/users/Cer/
Enter root's password:
session setup failed: NT_STATUS_LOGON_FAILURE
Telcontar:~ #

And more combinations that I tried.

However, in the GUI (XFCE) I can browse and connect. It seems that the
entire user directory is shared!

It is visible in this virtual filesystem:
/run/user/1000/gvfs/smb-share\:server\=minas-morgul\,share\=users/

--
Cheers, Carlos.
0
On 10/22/2016 11:57 AM, Carlos E.R. wrote:
> On 2016-10-19 20:20, Carlos E.R. wrote:
>> On 2016-10-19 18:17, The Real Bev wrote:
>
>> # smbclient -L MachineIP
>> Enter root's password:
>> Domain=[DOMINIO] OS=[Windows 6.1] Server=[Samba
>> 4.2.4-3.54.2-3638-SUSE-oS13.1-i386]
>>
>> 	Sharename       Type      Comment
>> 	---------       ----      -------
>> 	profiles        Disk      Network Profiles Service
>> 	users           Disk      All users
>> 	groups          Disk      All groups
>> 	print$          Disk      Printer Drivers
>>
>> We want to see that for further help.
>
> I'm trying to replicate with a Windows 10 laptop, and I can't.
>
> Telcontar:~ #
> Enter root's password:

Windows has no user "root" so the actual username needs to be given:

smbclient -L 192.168.1.50 -U YourWindowsUserName

> session setup failed: NT_STATUS_LOGON_FAILURE
> Telcontar:~ # smbclient -L 192.168.1.50
> Enter root's password:
> session setup failed: NT_STATUS_LOGON_FAILURE
> Telcontar:~ # smbclient -L //minas-morgul
> Enter root's password:
> session setup failed: NT_STATUS_LOGON_FAILURE
> Telcontar:~ # man smbclient
> Telcontar:~ # smbclient -L //minas-morgul/users/Cer/
> Enter root's password:
> session setup failed: NT_STATUS_LOGON_FAILURE
> Telcontar:~ #
>
> And more combinations that I tried.
>
> However, in the GUI (XFCE) I can browse and connect. It seems that the
> entire user directory is shared!
>
> It is visible in this virtual filesystem:
> /run/user/1000/gvfs/smb-share\:server\=minas-morgul\,share\=users/

--
Cheers, Bev
   "I've seen a look in dogs' eyes,  a quickly vanishing look
    of amazed contempt, and I am convinced that basically dogs
    think humans are nuts."                  -- John Steinbeck

0
The
10/23/2016 3:26:43 AM
On 22/10/16 19:57, Carlos E.R. wrote:
> On 2016-10-19 20:20, Carlos E.R. wrote:
>> On 2016-10-19 18:17, The Real Bev wrote:
>

>> # smbclient -L MachineIP
>> Enter root's password:
>> Domain=[DOMINIO] OS=[Windows 6.1] Server=[Samba
>> 4.2.4-3.54.2-3638-SUSE-oS13.1-i386]
>>
>> 	Sharename       Type      Comment
>> 	---------       ----      -------
>> 	profiles        Disk      Network Profiles Service
>> 	users           Disk      All users
>> 	groups          Disk      All groups
>> 	print$          Disk      Printer Drivers

>> We want to see that for further help.
>
> I'm trying to replicate with a Windows 10 laptop, and I can't.
>

> Telcontar:~ # smbclient -L 192.168.1.50
> Enter root's password:
> session setup failed: NT_STATUS_LOGON_FAILURE
> Telcontar:~ # smbclient -L 192.168.1.50
> Enter root's password:
> session setup failed: NT_STATUS_LOGON_FAILURE
> Telcontar:~ # smbclient -L //minas-morgul
> Enter root's password:
> session setup failed: NT_STATUS_LOGON_FAILURE
> Telcontar:~ # man smbclient
> Telcontar:~ # smbclient -L //minas-morgul/users/Cer/
> Enter root's password:
> session setup failed: NT_STATUS_LOGON_FAILURE
> Telcontar:~ #
>
> And more combinations that I tried.

Obviously 'root' doesn't have a password on the XP system.

if you MUST run smbclient as root, try using the -u switch to select a
user who HAS got rights to the windows box/

> However, in the GUI (XFCE) I can browse and connect. It seems that the
> entire user directory is shared!
>
> It is visible in this virtual filesystem:
> /run/user/1000/gvfs/smb-share\:server\=minas-morgul\,share\=users/

Presumably you aren't running the gui as root, then or the xfce file
browser asked you for a username?

The
10/23/2016 7:55:05 AM
On 2016-10-23 09:55, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

>> And more combinations that I tried.
>>
> Obviously 'root' doesn't have a password on the XP system.
>
> if you MUST run smbclient as root, try using the -u switch to select a
> user who HAS got rights to the windows box/
>

>> However, in the GUI (XFCE) I can browse and connect. It seems that the
>> entire user directory is shared!
>>
>> It is visible in this virtual filesystem:
>> /run/user/1000/gvfs/smb-share\:server\=minas-morgul\,share\=users/
>>

> Presumably you aren't running the gui as root, then or the xfce file
> browser asked you for a username?

D'oh!

No, as a user that happens to have the same name in Linux and Windows.

Telcontar:~ # smbclient -L 192.168.1.50 -U cer
Enter cer's password:
Domain=[MINAS-MORGUL] OS=[Windows 10 Home 10586] Server=[Windows 10 Home
6.3]

	Sharename       Type      Comment
	---------       ----      -------
	ADMIN$          Disk      Admin remota
	C$              Disk      Recurso predeterminado
	HP Universal Printing PS Printer   HP Universal Printing PS
	IPC$            IPC       IPC remota
	print$          Disk      Controladores de impresora
	Users           Disk
Connection to 192.168.1.50 failed (Error NT_STATUS_RESOURCE_NAME_NOT_FOUND)
NetBIOS over TCP disabled -- no workgroup available
Telcontar:~ #

It still errors out.

But it lists the "users" disk resource, which certainly works from the GUI.

And...

Telcontar:~ # mount -t cifs "//192.168.1.50/users" \
  ~/Windows/ -o user=cer,password=*****
Telcontar:~ # ls Windows/
Cer  Default  Default.migrated  desktop.ini
Telcontar:~ #

And I can browse the directories inside, no problem.

--
Cheers, Carlos.
0
| Telcontar:~ # smbclient -L 192.168.1.50 -U cer
| Enter cer's password:
--<snip-snip>--
| 	Users           Disk
| Connection to 192.168.1.50 failed (Error NT_STATUS_RESOURCE_NAME_NOT_FOUND)
| NetBIOS over TCP disabled -- no workgroup available

Man smbclient:

       -L|--list
           This option allows you to look at what services are available
           on a server. You use it as smbclient -L host and a list
           should appear. The -I option may be useful if your NetBIOS
           names don't match your TCP/IP DNS host names or if you are
           trying to reach a host on another network.

       -I|--ip-address IP-address
           IP address is the address of the server to connect to. It
           should be specified in standard "a.b.c.d" notation.

           Normally the client would attempt to locate a named SMB/CIFS
           server by looking it up via the NetBIOS name resolution
           mechanism described above in the name resolve order parameter
           above. Using this parameter will force the client to assume
           that the server is on the machine with the specified IP
           address and the NetBIOS name component of the resource being
           connected to will be ignored.

-I mentions the same words as the error message :-), so it might be
worth trying -I 192.168.1.50 in addition.  Or enable NetBIOS over TCP on
the server...however that might be done.

HTH
R'
0
Ralf
10/24/2016 7:58:29 AM
On 2016-10-24 09:58, Ralf Fassel wrote:
> * "Carlos E.R." <robin_listas@invalid.es>
> | Telcontar:~ # smbclient -L 192.168.1.50 -U cer
> | Enter cer's password:
> --<snip-snip>--
> | 	Users           Disk
> | Connection to 192.168.1.50 failed (Error NT_STATUS_RESOURCE_NAME_NOT_FOUND)
> | NetBIOS over TCP disabled -- no workgroup available
>
> Man smbclient:
>
>        -L|--list
>            This option allows you to look at what services are available
>            on a server. You use it as smbclient -L host and a list
>            should appear. The -I option may be useful if your NetBIOS
>            names don't match your TCP/IP DNS host names or if you are
>            trying to reach a host on another network.
>
>        -I|--ip-address IP-address
>            IP address is the address of the server to connect to. It
>            should be specified in standard "a.b.c.d" notation.
>
>            Normally the client would attempt to locate a named SMB/CIFS
>            server by looking it up via the NetBIOS name resolution
>            mechanism described above in the name resolve order parameter
>            above. Using this parameter will force the client to assume
>            that the server is on the machine with the specified IP
>            address and the NetBIOS name component of the resource being
>            connected to will be ignored.
>
> -I mentions the same words as the error message :-), so it might be
> worth trying -I 192.168.1.50 in addition.  Or enable NetBIOS over TCP on
> the server...however that might be done.

Notice that despite the error message, the mount happens and I can
access the files as expected. I'll try your variation later, right now
the machine is switched off.

--
Cheers, Carlos.
0
On 2016-10-24 12:36, Carlos E.R. wrote:
> On 2016-10-24 09:58, Ralf Fassel wrote:
>> * "Carlos E.R." <robin_listas@invalid.es>
>> | Telcontar:~ # smbclient -L 192.168.1.50 -U cer
>> | Enter cer's password:
>> --<snip-snip>--
>> | 	Users           Disk
>> | Connection to 192.168.1.50 failed (Error NT_STATUS_RESOURCE_NAME_NOT_FOUND)
>> | NetBIOS over TCP disabled -- no workgroup available
>>
>> Man smbclient:
>>
>>        -L|--list
>>            This option allows you to look at what services are available
>>            on a server. You use it as smbclient -L host and a list
>>            should appear. The -I option may be useful if your NetBIOS
>>            names don't match your TCP/IP DNS host names or if you are
>>            trying to reach a host on another network.
>>
>>        -I|--ip-address IP-address
>>            IP address is the address of the server to connect to. It
>>            should be specified in standard "a.b.c.d" notation.
>>
>>            Normally the client would attempt to locate a named SMB/CIFS
>>            server by looking it up via the NetBIOS name resolution
>>            mechanism described above in the name resolve order parameter
>>            above. Using this parameter will force the client to assume
>>            that the server is on the machine with the specified IP
>>            address and the NetBIOS name component of the resource being
>>            connected to will be ignored.
>>
>> -I mentions the same words as the error message :-), so it might be
>> worth trying -I 192.168.1.50 in addition.  Or enable NetBIOS over TCP on
>> the server...however that might be done.
>
> Notice that despite the error message, the mount happens and I can
> access the files as expected. I'll try your variation later, right now
> the machine is switched off.

I almost forgot.

cer@Telcontar:~> smbclient -L -I 192.168.1.50 -U cer

192.168.1.50: Not enough '\' characters in service
Usage: smbclient [-?EgBVNkPeC] [-?|--help] [--usage]
   [-R|--name-resolve=NAME-RESOLVE-ORDER] [-M|--message=HOST]
   [-I|--ip-address=IP]
        [-E|--stderr] [-L|--list=HOST] [-m|--max-protocol=LEVEL]
        [-T|--tar=<c|x>IXFqgbNan] [-D|--directory=DIR]
        [-c|--command=STRING]
        [-b|--send-buffer=BYTES] [-t|--timeout=SECONDS]
        [-p|--port=PORT] [-g|--grepable] [-B|--browse]
        [-d|--debuglevel=DEBUGLEVEL]
        [-s|--configfile=CONFIGFILE] [-l|--log-basename=LOGFILEBASE]
        [-V|--version] [--option=name=value]
        [-O|--socket-options=SOCKETOPTIONS]
        [-n|--netbiosname=NETBIOSNAME] [-W|--workgroup=WORKGROUP]
        [-i|--scope=SCOPE]
        [-U|--user=USERNAME] [-N|--no-pass] [-k|--kerberos]
        [-A|--authentication-file=FILE] [-S|--signing=on|off|required]
        [-P|--machine-pass] [-e|--encrypt] [-C|--use-ccache]
        [--pw-nt-hash] service <password>
cer@Telcontar:~> smbclient -L 192.168.1.50 -I 192.168.1.50 -U cer
Enter cer's password:
Domain=[MINAS-MORGUL] OS=[Windows 10 Home 10586] Server=[Windows 10 Home
6.3]

	Sharename       Type      Comment
	---------       ----      -------
	ADMIN$          Disk      Admin remota
	C$              Disk      Recurso predeterminado
	HP Universal Printing PS Printer   HP Universal Printing PS
	IPC$            IPC       IPC remota
	print$          Disk      Controladores de impresora
	Users           Disk
Connection to 192.168.1.50 failed (Error NT_STATUS_RESOURCE_NAME_NOT_FOUND)
NetBIOS over TCP disabled -- no workgroup available
cer@Telcontar:~>

No difference when using -I or not.

--
Cheers, Carlos.