Ubuntu package containing find2perl, a2p and s2p

Ubuntu stripped the regular distribution which doesn't contain the
standard utilities like find2perl,a2p and s2p. Does any.one know which
package contains those utilities? If I cannot find them, I am prepared to
scrap ubuntu and switch to Fedora, but I would rather not do that, since
it would mean a lot of unnecessary work.
Why were those packages removed from standard distribution? I am running
Ubuntu 16.10

--
Mladen Gogala
The Oracle Whisperer

On Tue, 20 Dec 2016 05:26:11 +0000, Mladen Gogala wrote:

> Ubuntu stripped the regular distribution which doesn't contain the
> standard utilities like find2perl,a2p and s2p. Does any.one know which
> package contains those utilities? If I cannot find them, I am prepared
> to scrap ubuntu and switch to Fedora, but I would rather not do that,
> since it would mean a lot of unnecessary work.
> Why were those packages removed from standard distribution? I am running
> Ubuntu 16.10

I looked on Ubuntu Packages and tried using apt-file, these utilities are
not there. Fortunately, Fedora still has them, so I will simply copy
those scripts over. Those utilities were present in Precise. Can anyone
explain why were they removed? I believe in a Hanlon's razor and do not
subscribe to conspiracy theories.

--
Mladen Gogala
The Oracle Whisperer
Mladen Gogala <gogala.mladen@gmail.com> writes:

> Ubuntu stripped the regular distribution which doesn't contain the
> standard utilities like find2perl,a2p and s2p. Does any.one know which
> package contains those utilities? If I cannot find them, I am prepared to
> scrap ubuntu and switch to Fedora, but I would rather not do that, since
> it would mean a lot of unnecessary work.
> Why were those packages removed from standard distribution? I am running
> Ubuntu 16.10

Nothing to do with Ubuntu, it’s an upstream change.

http://search.cpan.org/dist/perl-5.22.0/pod/perldelta.pod#Utility_Changes

--
http://www.greenend.org.uk/rjk/
0
Richard Kettlewell <invalid@invalid.invalid> Wrote in message:
> Mladen Gogala <gogala.mladen@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Ubuntu stripped the regular distribution which doesn't contain the
>> standard utilities like find2perl,a2p and s2p. Does any.one know which
>> package contains those utilities? If I cannot find them, I am prepared to
>> scrap ubuntu and switch to Fedora, but I would rather not do that, since
>> it would mean a lot of unnecessary work.
>> Why were those packages removed from standard distribution? I am running
>> Ubuntu 16.10
>
> Nothing to do with Ubuntu, it?s an upstream change.
>
> http://search.cpan.org/dist/perl-5.22.0/pod/perldelta.pod#Utility_Changes
>
> --
> http://www.greenend.org.uk/rjk/

The link suggests that you can now download those utilities
with CPAN, as separate CPAN items.

Doug.
dlbendigo
12/20/2016 10:11:55 AM
dlbendigo  <laidlaws@hotkey.net.au> Wrote in message:
> Richard Kettlewell <invalid@invalid.invalid> Wrote in message:
>> Mladen Gogala <gogala.mladen@gmail.com> writes:
>>
>>> Ubuntu stripped the regular distribution which doesn't contain the
>>> standard utilities like find2perl,a2p and s2p. Does any.one know which
>>> package contains those utilities? If I cannot find them, I am prepared to
>>> scrap ubuntu and switch to Fedora, but I would rather not do that, since
>>> it would mean a lot of unnecessary work.
>>> Why were those packages removed from standard distribution? I am running
>>> Ubuntu 16.10
>>
>> Nothing to do with Ubuntu, it?s an upstream change.
>>
>> http://search.cpan.org/dist/perl-5.22.0/pod/perldelta.pod#Utility_Changes
>>
>> --
>> http://www.greenend.org.uk/rjk/
>>

> The link suggests that you can now download those utilities
> with CPAN, as separate CPAN items.
>
> Doug.
> --

Oh, and BTW, since it is a change in the perl distribution, it won't
be in Fedora much longer.  Mandriva/Mageia has spoiled me.
The most common CPAN programs are available as separate
RPMs, so I haven't used CPAN for years.

Doug.
0
dlbendigo
12/20/2016 10:18:12 AM
On Tue, 20 Dec 2016 09:23:23 +0000, Richard Kettlewell wrote:

> Mladen Gogala <gogala.mladen@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Ubuntu stripped the regular distribution which doesn't contain the
>> standard utilities like find2perl,a2p and s2p. Does any.one know which
>> package contains those utilities? If I cannot find them, I am prepared
>> to scrap ubuntu and switch to Fedora, but I would rather not do that,
>> since it would mean a lot of unnecessary work.
>> Why were those packages removed from standard distribution? I am
>> running Ubuntu 16.10
>
> Nothing to do with Ubuntu, it’s an upstream change.
>
> http://search.cpan.org/dist/perl-5.22.0/pod/
perldelta.pod#Utility_Changes

Thanks a lot! Installed. I needed to incorporate "file find" into a
script and my favorite utility for producing "find" equivalents just
wasn't there.

--
Mladen Gogala
The Oracle Whisperer
On Tue, 20 Dec 2016 21:11:55 +1100, dlbendigo wrote:

> Richard Kettlewell <invalid@invalid.invalid> Wrote in message:
>> Mladen Gogala <gogala.mladen@gmail.com> writes:
>>
>>> Ubuntu stripped the regular distribution which doesn't contain the
>>> standard utilities like find2perl,a2p and s2p. Does any.one know which
>>> package contains those utilities? If I cannot find them, I am prepared
>>> to scrap ubuntu and switch to Fedora, but I would rather not do that,
>>> since it would mean a lot of unnecessary work.
>>> Why were those packages removed from standard distribution? I am
>>> running Ubuntu 16.10
>>
>> Nothing to do with Ubuntu, it?s an upstream change.
>>
>> http://search.cpan.org/dist/perl-5.22.0/pod/
perldelta.pod#Utility_Changes

>> --
>> http://www.greenend.org.uk/rjk/
>>

> The link suggests that you can now download those utilities with CPAN,
> as separate CPAN items.
>
> Doug.

Already done, thanks!

--