Video capture cards under Linux

	I would like to get a video capture card supported under Linux (to record
TV shows for my 2 year old daughter, so that I can convert them to DVD
easily). Since I have no clue about what such cards are supported under
Linux, I would be grateful if contributors to this forum with experience
on the subject could provide some feedback on what card to get.

0
T.Carter (45)
7/7/2006 12:31:15 AM
comp.os.linux.misc 33612 articles. 22 followers. amosa69 (125) is leader. Post Follow

This is a MIME GnuPG-signed message.  If you see this text, it means that
your E-mail or Usenet software does not support MIME signed messages.
The Internet standard for MIME PGP messages, RFC 2015, was published in 1996.
To open this message correctly you will need to install E-mail or Usenet
software that supports modern Internet standards.

--=_mimegpg-commodore.email-scan.com-8387-1152234423-0011

Thomas Carter writes:

> 	I would like to get a video capture card supported under Linux (to record
> TV shows for my 2 year old daughter, so that I can convert them to DVD
> easily). Since I have no clue about what such cards are supported under
> Linux, I would be grateful if contributors to this forum with experience
> on the subject could provide some feedback on what card to get.

The other day I wiped the dust off an old box that I haven't used in a
couple of years.  I had a similar purpose in mind.

I ended up grabbing the Hauppauge PVR-350 card, and loading up MythTV on it.
Works like a charm.

A word of caution -- this enterprise does regular quite a bit of technical
skill and know-how.  It's not for the faint of heart.

But, I can tell you that this works.  And it works very well.  I schedule
shows with the PVR-350's remote.  After they're done, MythTV tries to find
and mark off all the commercial breaks.  It gets it right maybe 80% of the
time, so I always go in with the remote, fix up the commercial breaks, and
tell MythTV to take them out.  Commercial break marking, and editing them
out takes a while, so what I usually do is that I always have a bunch of
recorded shows already edited, and when I sit down to watch some Tee-Vee, I
take a few minutes to edit the newer shows that were just recorded, and
after fixing up the commercial breaks, and queueing them up for reencoding,
I go back and watch the shows that I cleaned up the day before.  Then,
tommorow I watch the shows that were recorded and edited today, and so on.

I haven't really gotten to the part where I'd burn some of these suckers to
a DVD, but it shouldn't be that hard.  The files are just plain
garden-variety MPEG files, so burning them to DVD should be easy.  I just
don't have any particular need to.

But, as I said, buying the hardware will be the easy part for you.  The
Hauppauge PVR line is the best supported MPEG encoder for Linux.  But you do
need to do your homework and figure out which specific model you want.

The tough part is going to be installing and configuring all the software
you'll need.  You'll be juggling four different pieces of major software
that come from four different software developer groups: MySQL, LIRC, IVTV,
and MythTV.  You'll be trying to fit them together like a big jigsaw puzzle.
It's doable, but, unless you have a technical background, may or may not
turn out to be a major bitch.

--=_mimegpg-commodore.email-scan.com-8387-1152234423-0011

--=_mimegpg-commodore.email-scan.com-8387-1152234423-0011--
0
sam217 (1634)
7/7/2006 1:07:04 AM
Thomas Carter wrote:

> I would like to get a video capture card supported under Linux (to record
> TV shows for my 2 year old daughter, so that I can convert them to DVD
> easily). Since I have no clue about what such cards are supported under
> Linux, I would be grateful if contributors to this forum with experience
> on the subject could provide some feedback on what card to get.

In Europe the DVB-standard (digital video broadcasting) is popular. It
provides a good posibility to record video with cheap budget TV cards.
Since the video stream arrives in digital form at the antenna it can be
directly saved to the hard disk without much conversion or recompression.
Thus system load during recording is low. I think that these cards will in
general be cheaper than capture cards (including a room antenna)
I don't know if DVB is available at your location, however.

I have made good experience with the KNC TV Station DVB-T on SuSE Linux
10.1. Whether the installation of the card is easy or not will depend on
your Linux distribution. It might be necessary to compile the kernel by
yourself.

More details and Lists of supported cards can be found at www.linuxtv.org
In comp.os.linux.misc Thomas Carter <T.Carter@nanobots.com>:
>        I would like to get a video capture card supported under Linux (to record
> TV shows for my 2 year old daughter, so that I can convert them to DVD
> easily). Since I have no clue about what such cards are supported under
> Linux, I would be grateful if contributors to this forum with experience
> on the subject could provide some feedback on what card to get.

Hard to tell, since you are missing to tell us where you come
from? There are different TV standards and different TV cards.

Terratec makes small external USB DVB-T boxes (Cinergy II) or so
that work out of the box with FC5.

Good luck

#bofh excuse 399: We are a 100% Microsoft Shop.
0
USENET22 (5552)
7/7/2006 9:48:01 AM
On Fri, 07 Jul 2006 11:48:01 +0200, Michael Heiming wrote:

> In comp.os.linux.misc Thomas Carter <T.Carter@nanobots.com>:
>>        I would like to get a video capture card supported under Linux
>>        (to record
>> TV shows for my 2 year old daughter, so that I can convert them to DVD
>> easily). Since I have no clue about what such cards are supported under
>> Linux, I would be grateful if contributors to this forum with experience
>> on the subject could provide some feedback on what card to get.
>
> Hard to tell, since you are missing to tell us where you come from? There
> are different TV standards and different TV cards.

	I live in California. I did not know that one's geographical location
was an issue here :-(

> Terratec makes small external USB DVB-T boxes (Cinergy II) or so that work
> out of the box with FC5.
>
> Good luck

0
T.Carter (45)
7/7/2006 2:36:31 PM
Thomas Carter <T.Carter@nanobots.com> wrote in

>      I would like to get a video capture card supported under Linux
>      (to record
> TV shows for my 2 year old daughter, so that I can convert them to DVD
> easily). Since I have no clue about what such cards are supported
> under Linux, I would be grateful if contributors to this forum with
> experience on the subject could provide some feedback on what card to
> get.

Probably the easiest way to check is to look and the kernel compilation
setup: in the video for linux section they mention the cards that are
supported without having to hunt for drivers. This of course depends on
your kernel version as to which cards are there.

--
(setq (chuck nil)  car(chuck) )
0
On Fri, 07 Jul 2006 14:36:31 +0000, Thomas Carter wrote:

>> Hard to tell, since you are missing to tell us where you come from? There
>> are different TV standards and different TV cards.
>
> 	I live in California. I did not know that one's geographical location
> was an issue here :-(

Each country/region has its own standards, so which cards work and are
available varies.

I would look at teh PVR-150; it does hardware compression on-board and the
MCE version can be had for $50.  It will work with modest hardware.  (It
uses about 10% CPU on my 1GHz backend.)  Don't worry about all the various
versions out there; buy the cheapest PVR-150 you can find.  They're all
the same; they only differ in the accessories like remotes, FM tuners, etc.

Otherwise, most BT878 cards work quite well, but you need a fast CPU.
IRRC mine uses about 80% CPU on my Athlon 2800 to do 640x480 vidcaps.  I
really don't use it anymore since I have a PVR-150.

--Yan

--
  o__
  ,>/'_          o__

0
yan (1424)
7/9/2006 2:44:46 PM
On Thu, 06 Jul 2006 20:07:04 -0500, Sam wrote:

> The tough part is going to be installing and configuring all the software
> you'll need.  You'll be juggling four different pieces of major software
> that come from four different software developer groups: MySQL, LIRC, IVTV,
> and MythTV.  You'll be trying to fit them together like a big jigsaw puzzle.
> It's doable, but, unless you have a technical background, may or may not
> turn out to be a major bitch.

Well, yes.  But you can always get KnoppMyth, or another one which is
fedora-based, and they pretty much work out of the box.  The only thing I
ever have to change on my KnoppMyth is LIRC, as I use a custom LIRC setup.

But the most important thing about Mythtv, treat it like an appliance.
Once it works, *LEAVE IT ALONE*.  And that's hard for us fiddlers.

--Yan

--
  o__
  ,>/'_          o__
  (_)\(_)        ,>/'_        o__
Yan Seiner, PE  (_)\(_)       ,>/'_     o__
Certified Personal Trainer   (_)\(_)    ,>/'_        o__
Licensed Professional Engineer         (_)\(_)       ,>/'_
Who says engineers have to be pencil necked geeks?  (_)\(_)

0
yan (1424)

denoise video image
hi , can i find code to denoise video image. it is very important for me. thanks in advance, huda ...

RPC between Windows and Linux
Is it possible to use RPC (Remote Procedure Call) between a Windows and a Linux machines? Any demo/tutorial code? Thx. ...

changeing user in linux
is it possible to write a c program that asks for the root password and runs as if it was root untill the program exits?if so what would it look like? -darkchild darkchild50@gmail.com writes: > is it possible to write a c program that asks for the root password and > runs as if it was root untill the program exits? Yes. > if so what would it > look > like? Like sudo. Note that you cannot go from user to root. Only from root to user. But there is a trick: root can set one of its program "setuid": # chmod u=rwx,og=rx,u+s /usr/bin/my-security-program my-secu...

[News] How Not to Measure Linux Performance in Graphics

:inverse-video
Hello, I recently upgraded xemacs to 21.4.19 with xemacs-mule-sumo-2006-05-10 and xemacs-sumo-2006-05-10 from xemacs 21.4.14 with xemacs-mule-sumo-2003-10-03 and xemacs-sumo-2003-10-03. After I upgraded, any time I tried to get into gnus, I get the error: Error in ~/.gnus: :inverse-video and am unable to use gnus. If I start xemacs in an alternate acccount, there is no issue. The text "inverse-video" does not show up any where in my .gnus file. Anyone know why this started happening after I upgraded? Thanks, Quanah Quanah Gibson-Mount <quanah@Stanford.EDU&g...

Is there any good webpage maker available under linux?
In windows, I got used to use Dreamweaver to develope jsp webpage, and sometimes use Frontpage to edit the html syntax. I'm wondering whether there is some webpage maker like dreamweavor and Frontpage in linux. I'm going to switch from windows to linux. Is there anybody knows? thanks for help! Flamingo wrote: > In windows, I got used to use Dreamweaver to develope jsp webpage, and > sometimes use Frontpage to edit the html syntax. I'm wondering whether > there is some webpage maker like dreamweavor and Frontpage in linux. > I'm going to switch from windows to lin...

Ekiga 2.0.11_7: No video
[This will probably not be easy to solve.] I have a new installation of 8.0-release (i386) and a Philips-based Creative Labs Webcam Pro Ex. The pwc driver was compiled from the port in the distribution. With Ekiga (installed as a package during the OS installation) I get sound, both input and output, but no video. The echo test works. This is an application that was claimed to work with pwc at a Website devoted to that driver: http://raaf.atspace.org/ When the Webcam is used with mpeg4ip, built from the port, video clips can be made. (The command is "mp4live.") Oddly e...

ixp465 + linux 2.6 network performance
Hi, I have compiled a 2.6.12 kernel big endian (with arm patches, but without accesslibrary) for an ixp465 processor. I wrote a tcp-client in order to perform a network performance test (using intel pro100+ pci network card, driver was compiled as part of the kernel). I got 30% network utilization (that is 30Mbits/sec). The same client compiled for intelx86 (little endian 2.6 kernel - fedora core 4) executed on a pentium 4 and succeed in sending 99Mbits/sec. I tried disabling nagle, and changed the buffers size so they fit my sendings but nothing helped. I know that the CP...

Tom's Hardware Guide
I'm looking for a good medium priced card for FS 2004, and the above site, http://graphics.tomshardware.com/graphic/20041004/vga_charts-09.html has a chart of tested cards using FS. The bars on the charts are color-coded, and I haven't found an explanation as to what the colors represent. Has anyone found a page at the site explaining same? Dan Wenz wrote: > I'm looking for a good medium priced card for FS 2004, and the above > site, > http://graphics.tomshardware.com/graphic/20041004/vga_charts-09.html > has a chart of tested cards using FS. The bars o...

jamba handy video schuelerin kostenlose jamba handy videos jamba handy videos umwandeln jamba handy videos kostenlos jamba handy musik videos jamba handy videos de
jamba handy video schuelerin kostenlose jamba handy videos jamba handy videos umwandeln jamba handy videos kostenlos jamba handy musik videos jamba handy videos de + + + + + + JAMBA HANDY VIDEOS + + + JAMBA HANDY VIDEOS + + + http://WWW.JAMBA-HANDY-VIDEOS.DE/ http://WWW.JAMBA-HANDY-VIDEOS.DE/ http://WWW.JAMBA-HANDY-VIDEOS.DE/ + + + + + JAMBA HANDY LOGO + + + JAMBA HANDY LOGO + + + http://WWW.JAMBA-HANDY-LOGO.DE/ http://WWW.JAMBA-HANDY-LOGO.DE/ http://WWW.JAMBA-HANDY-LOGO.DE/ + + + + + JAMBA HANDY KLINGELTON + + + JAMBA HANDY KLINGELTON + + + http://WWW.JAMBA-KLINGELTON.DE/ http://WWW.JAMB...

Lag between video and audio using TV tuner card
PC: Pentium III, 1GHz, 512MB RAM Monitor: Samsung SyncMaster 912N (19" LCD) Graphics card: ATI Radeon 7000 TV tuner card: ATI TV Wonder Pro - PCI Hi, I just installed a PCI TV tuner card and while watching TV, the video lags by about a second behind the sound. When i watch a DVD on this computer, the audio and video seems to be in sync. This gives me the impression that the video card ot the PC itself is not to blame, but it is the TV tuner card which is causing the lag. Is there a way i can introduce a half-second lag in my sound output so i can get them in sync. I know the best option ...

[News] Releases: Wine 0.9.50, Foresight Linux 1.4.2, GIMP 2.4.0 Manual
Wine 0.9.50 Released ,----[ Quote ] | This is release 0.9.50 of Wine, a free implementation of Windows on Unix. | | What's new in this release: | - Completed I/O completion. | - Improved user credentials management, including Mac Keychain support. | - More Valgrinding. | - Lots of bug fixes. `---- http://winehq.org/?announce=0.9.50 Foresight Linux 1.4.2 Released http://www.foresightlinux.com/ GIMP User Manual 2.4.0 Released2007-11-30 ,----[ Quote] | After four months of hard work we are proud to announce another release of | the user manual. `---- http://www.gimp.org/ ...

Is real-time image capture possible with usb2.0 camera's?
Hi, I am wondering if I can use usb1.0 based code written for usb1.0 camera's with usb2.0 camera's except with the upgraded speeds of usb2.0 (480Kb/S) instead of usb1.0 speeds. I have been using firewire camera's for this reason, but I like to try usb2.0 cameras and drivers (code) written for usb1.0 cameras, so I am curious if its just a matter of specifying the speed (30fps i.e. for 640x480 frame) in the code? Thanks a lot, Ben ...

Video forum, video discussion board, discuss video
http://vforum.com Any video related questions will be answered at VForum.com. You will be helped by experts fast and completely for free. -- questo articolo e` stato inviato via web dal servizio gratuito http://www.newsland.it/news segnala gli abusi ad abuse@newsland.it ...

Viewing video in a HIView (carbon)
Hi! I=B4m viewing video from a webcam in a normal window via a SGChannel and so on in Carbon. I want to represent it in a HIView control because I need to change size (live resizing) as the user changes the windows size and I think this is the easier than resizing the bound (I=B4ve tried this but the video freezes). How could I do it?=20 Thanks. In article <1168448671.248486.39900@i56g2000hsf.googlegroups.com>, "Antrox" <antonio.gil.garcia@gmail.com> wrote: > I�m viewing video from a webcam in a normal window via a SGChannel and > > so on in...

[News] [Linux] Side-by-side Comparison: Ubuntu Linux and Windows Vista
Ubuntu and friends vs Vista - out of the box experiences reviewed ,----[ Quote ] | I think it's been foolish of Microsoft to deliver XP all over again in | terms of out-of-the-box applications. OSX delivers more and Linux | certainly does too, making Vista the weakest out of all the | available platforms. It relies on you either stumping up for | commercial apps and installing those or having the knowledge to | find things like Paint.net, OpenOffice, GIMP etc. Not many | "average" users have this information to hand so they're | automatically forced into further expend...

Make money to share your videos #3
Goodtolove.com is sharing their 50% adsense revenue with you to post videos of anything. Just keep up logging in and start posting now to make money... ...

movavi video converter crack
movavi video converter crack http://cracks.00bp.com F R E E C R A C K S ...

[News] Guide for Finding Free GNU/Linux Ebooks, Other Tips

free video lessons on 12 computer Science Courses
Hi Guys, Good news is that as many as 12 courses from top universities are providing free video lessons http://freevideolectures.com/ComputerScience/ on all the basic courses. All you need to have is Real Player installed on your PC. I think it is useful to you........ ...

How implement pthread_measure_stack_usage on Linux
I am making the migration of an application, from eCos to Linux, and can't find a replacement for function pthread_measure_stack_usage. I have found some ideas but can't resolve my problem. The first http://groups.google.com/group/comp.programming.threads/browse_thread/thread= /dd47b2d45c62909e/1a065171eab1a575?lnk=3Dgst&q=3Dstack+usage#1a065171eab1a57= 5 give two functions, the thr_stksegment to get base stack pointer and the function getcontext to get top stack pointer, but I can't find function thr_stksegment on linux includes ( grep ".*thr_stk.*" /usr/include/ ...

remote video
anybody know if there is a way to send video,via wireless camera over a power line...120v or 220v....i have a remote part of a property (approx. 600' away)that has line voltage, but no way to run new wiring,coax,cat 5 etc... On 24 Oct 2004 21:43:32 -0700, billelectric@hotmail.com (bill the electrician) wrote: >anybody know if there is a way to send video,via wireless camera over >a power line...120v or 220v....i have a remote part of a property >(approx. 600' away)that has line voltage, but no way to run new >wiring,coax,cat 5 etc... You might try a wireless network cam ...

Mexopts for Intel Visual Fortran on Linux
Hi Folks Does anybody have an example of a mexopts.sh file that is configured for Intel Visual Fortran on a Linux 64 platform? Thanks Etienne ...

PS3 Slim and Linux
Better hurry if you are going to ditch your desktop for a Linux PS3. Looks like the COLA pundits who predicted that the PS3 running Linux would be the death of the home desktop forgot to let Sony know. The new PS3 Slim's firmware does not support repartitioning and installing Linux. I'll make a prediction: there is going to be a big outbreak of COLA amnesia, with the usual COLA regulars suddenly not remembering any of the PS3 as desktop replacement discussion and the predictions therein. -- --Tim Smith Chris Ahlstrom <ahlstromc@launchmodem.com> writes: > After takin...

BEST VIDEO
Best Video!!!! sexi !! *-*!! http://rozrywka.yeba.pl/show.php?id=2073 http://rozrywka.yeba.pl/show.php?id=2079 tobik0000@vp.pl writes: > Best Video!!!! sexi !! *-*!! > http://rozrywka.yeba.pl/show.php?id=2073 > http://rozrywka.yeba.pl/show.php?id=2079 I wonder if they used a 64x platform for that... -- % Randy Yates % "The dreamer, the unwoken fool - %% Fuquay-Varina, NC % in dreams, no pain will kiss the brow..." %%% 919-577-9882 % %%%% <yates@ieee.org> % 'Eldorado Overture', *Eldorado*, ELO http://...