Video capture cards under Linux

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

	I would like to get a video capture card supported under Linux (to record
TV shows for my 2 year old daughter, so that I can convert them to DVD
easily). Since I have no clue about what such cards are supported under
Linux, I would be grateful if contributors to this forum with experience
on the subject could provide some feedback on what card to get.

0
Reply T.Carter (45) 7/7/2006 12:31:15 AM

See related articles to this posting

This is a MIME GnuPG-signed message.  If you see this text, it means that
your E-mail or Usenet software does not support MIME signed messages.
The Internet standard for MIME PGP messages, RFC 2015, was published in 1996.
To open this message correctly you will need to install E-mail or Usenet
software that supports modern Internet standards.

--=_mimegpg-commodore.email-scan.com-8387-1152234423-0011

Thomas Carter writes:

> 	I would like to get a video capture card supported under Linux (to record
> TV shows for my 2 year old daughter, so that I can convert them to DVD
> easily). Since I have no clue about what such cards are supported under
> Linux, I would be grateful if contributors to this forum with experience
> on the subject could provide some feedback on what card to get.

The other day I wiped the dust off an old box that I haven't used in a
couple of years.  I had a similar purpose in mind.

I ended up grabbing the Hauppauge PVR-350 card, and loading up MythTV on it.
Works like a charm.

A word of caution -- this enterprise does regular quite a bit of technical
skill and know-how.  It's not for the faint of heart.

But, I can tell you that this works.  And it works very well.  I schedule
shows with the PVR-350's remote.  After they're done, MythTV tries to find
and mark off all the commercial breaks.  It gets it right maybe 80% of the
time, so I always go in with the remote, fix up the commercial breaks, and
tell MythTV to take them out.  Commercial break marking, and editing them
out takes a while, so what I usually do is that I always have a bunch of
recorded shows already edited, and when I sit down to watch some Tee-Vee, I
take a few minutes to edit the newer shows that were just recorded, and
after fixing up the commercial breaks, and queueing them up for reencoding,
I go back and watch the shows that I cleaned up the day before.  Then,
tommorow I watch the shows that were recorded and edited today, and so on.

I haven't really gotten to the part where I'd burn some of these suckers to
a DVD, but it shouldn't be that hard.  The files are just plain
garden-variety MPEG files, so burning them to DVD should be easy.  I just
don't have any particular need to.

But, as I said, buying the hardware will be the easy part for you.  The
Hauppauge PVR line is the best supported MPEG encoder for Linux.  But you do
need to do your homework and figure out which specific model you want.

The tough part is going to be installing and configuring all the software
you'll need.  You'll be juggling four different pieces of major software
that come from four different software developer groups: MySQL, LIRC, IVTV,
and MythTV.  You'll be trying to fit them together like a big jigsaw puzzle.
It's doable, but, unless you have a technical background, may or may not
turn out to be a major bitch.

--=_mimegpg-commodore.email-scan.com-8387-1152234423-0011

--=_mimegpg-commodore.email-scan.com-8387-1152234423-0011--
0
Reply sam217 (1634) 7/7/2006 1:07:04 AM

Thomas Carter wrote:

> I would like to get a video capture card supported under Linux (to record
> TV shows for my 2 year old daughter, so that I can convert them to DVD
> easily). Since I have no clue about what such cards are supported under
> Linux, I would be grateful if contributors to this forum with experience
> on the subject could provide some feedback on what card to get.

In Europe the DVB-standard (digital video broadcasting) is popular. It
provides a good posibility to record video with cheap budget TV cards.
Since the video stream arrives in digital form at the antenna it can be
directly saved to the hard disk without much conversion or recompression.
Thus system load during recording is low. I think that these cards will in
general be cheaper than capture cards (including a room antenna)
I don't know if DVB is available at your location, however.

I have made good experience with the KNC TV Station DVB-T on SuSE Linux
10.1. Whether the installation of the card is easy or not will depend on
your Linux distribution. It might be necessary to compile the kernel by
yourself.

More details and Lists of supported cards can be found at www.linuxtv.org
0
Reply rembremading (34) 7/7/2006 8:54:03 AM

In comp.os.linux.misc Thomas Carter <T.Carter@nanobots.com>:
>        I would like to get a video capture card supported under Linux (to record
> TV shows for my 2 year old daughter, so that I can convert them to DVD
> easily). Since I have no clue about what such cards are supported under
> Linux, I would be grateful if contributors to this forum with experience
> on the subject could provide some feedback on what card to get.

Hard to tell, since you are missing to tell us where you come
from? There are different TV standards and different TV cards.

Terratec makes small external USB DVB-T boxes (Cinergy II) or so
that work out of the box with FC5.

Good luck

#bofh excuse 399: We are a 100% Microsoft Shop.
0
Reply USENET22 (5552) 7/7/2006 9:48:01 AM

On Fri, 07 Jul 2006 11:48:01 +0200, Michael Heiming wrote:

> In comp.os.linux.misc Thomas Carter <T.Carter@nanobots.com>:
>>        I would like to get a video capture card supported under Linux
>>        (to record
>> TV shows for my 2 year old daughter, so that I can convert them to DVD
>> easily). Since I have no clue about what such cards are supported under
>> Linux, I would be grateful if contributors to this forum with experience
>> on the subject could provide some feedback on what card to get.
>
> Hard to tell, since you are missing to tell us where you come from? There
> are different TV standards and different TV cards.

	I live in California. I did not know that one's geographical location
was an issue here :-(

> Terratec makes small external USB DVB-T boxes (Cinergy II) or so that work
> out of the box with FC5.
>
> Good luck

0
Reply T.Carter (45) 7/7/2006 2:36:31 PM

Thomas Carter <T.Carter@nanobots.com> wrote in

>      I would like to get a video capture card supported under Linux
>      (to record
> TV shows for my 2 year old daughter, so that I can convert them to DVD
> easily). Since I have no clue about what such cards are supported
> under Linux, I would be grateful if contributors to this forum with
> experience on the subject could provide some feedback on what card to
> get.

Probably the easiest way to check is to look and the kernel compilation
setup: in the video for linux section they mention the cards that are
supported without having to hunt for drivers. This of course depends on
your kernel version as to which cards are there.

--
(setq (chuck nil)  car(chuck) )
0

On Fri, 07 Jul 2006 14:36:31 +0000, Thomas Carter wrote:

>> Hard to tell, since you are missing to tell us where you come from? There
>> are different TV standards and different TV cards.
>
> 	I live in California. I did not know that one's geographical location
> was an issue here :-(

Each country/region has its own standards, so which cards work and are
available varies.

I would look at teh PVR-150; it does hardware compression on-board and the
MCE version can be had for $50.  It will work with modest hardware.  (It
uses about 10% CPU on my 1GHz backend.)  Don't worry about all the various
versions out there; buy the cheapest PVR-150 you can find.  They're all
the same; they only differ in the accessories like remotes, FM tuners, etc.

Otherwise, most BT878 cards work quite well, but you need a fast CPU.
IRRC mine uses about 80% CPU on my Athlon 2800 to do 640x480 vidcaps.  I
really don't use it anymore since I have a PVR-150.

--Yan

--
  o__
  ,>/'_          o__

0
Reply yan (1424) 7/9/2006 2:44:46 PM

On Thu, 06 Jul 2006 20:07:04 -0500, Sam wrote:

> The tough part is going to be installing and configuring all the software
> you'll need.  You'll be juggling four different pieces of major software
> that come from four different software developer groups: MySQL, LIRC, IVTV,
> and MythTV.  You'll be trying to fit them together like a big jigsaw puzzle.
> It's doable, but, unless you have a technical background, may or may not
> turn out to be a major bitch.

Well, yes.  But you can always get KnoppMyth, or another one which is
fedora-based, and they pretty much work out of the box.  The only thing I
ever have to change on my KnoppMyth is LIRC, as I use a custom LIRC setup.

But the most important thing about Mythtv, treat it like an appliance.
Once it works, *LEAVE IT ALONE*.  And that's hard for us fiddlers.

--Yan

--
  o__
  ,>/'_          o__
  (_)\(_)        ,>/'_        o__
Yan Seiner, PE  (_)\(_)       ,>/'_     o__
Certified Personal Trainer   (_)\(_)    ,>/'_        o__
Licensed Professional Engineer         (_)\(_)       ,>/'_
Who says engineers have to be pencil necked geeks?  (_)\(_)

0
Reply yan (1424) 7/9/2006 2:50:57 PM
comp.os.linux.misc 33370 articles. 19 followers. Post

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

Video capture card for linux?
I'm having trouble finding a video capture card product with Linux driver support. The ones that I have seen so far, support Linux only with experimental third party drivers. Do any exist? Pluses would be - * S-Video Input * Onboard size scaling IMHO most Hauppauge TV tunerboards (or in other words those using the connexant chipset (former Brooktree) should do. A probably better group to ask this questions is rec.video.desktop HTH Markus >I'm having trouble finding a video capture card product with Linux driver >support. The ones that I have seen so far, support Li...

Video capture card for linux
I'm having trouble finding a video capture card product with Linux driver support. The ones that I have seen so far, support Linux only with experimental third party drivers. Do any exist? Pluses would be - * S-Video Input * Onboard size scaling DD enlightened us with: > I'm having trouble finding a video capture card product with Linux > driver support. The ones that I have seen so far, support Linux > only with experimental third party drivers. I'm very happy with my Hauppauge WinTV PVR 350. Sure, Hauppauge doesn't support Linux, but the person developing ...

Video capture card for linux
I'm having trouble finding a video capture card product with Linux driver support. The ones that I have seen so far, support Linux only with experimental third party drivers. Do any exist? Pluses would be - * S-Video Input * Onboard size scaling On Fri, 11 Feb 2005 03:31:11 GMT, DD <dontsendhere@nospam.com> wrote: > I'm having trouble finding a video capture card product with Linux driver > support. The ones that I have seen so far, support Linux only with > experimental third party drivers. > > Do any exist? > > Pluses would be ...

Video capture card for linux? Does it exist?
I'm having trouble finding a video capture card product with Linux driver support. The ones that I have seen so far, support Linux only with experimental third party drivers. Do any exist? Pluses would be - * S-Video Input * Onboard size scaling On Fri, 11 Feb 2005 03:30:44 GMT, "DD" <dontsendhere@nospam.com> wrote: >I'm having trouble finding a video capture card product with Linux driver >support. The ones that I have seen so far, support Linux only with >experimental third party drivers. > >Do any exist? > We went ...

STB Video Capture Card in Linux
Hi folks, I've seen posts going back as far as RH 5.2 where they got the STB Video Capture card working in Linux, but other then s-video and composite in, I can never get the tuner portion -- tried xawtv and MythTv. scantv for xawtv returns No Channel on scan and MythTV only shows static. So, here's what I have in my modules.conf - alias char-major-81 bttv options bttv card=3 options tuner type=6 options tvaudio tda9850=0 And here's from lsmod: [root@Neptune root]# lsmod | grep bttv bttv 74176 0 (autoclean) i2c-algo-bit 8872 1 (autoclean) [bt...

any Linux supported USB video capture card?
I'm looking for a reasonably priced USB (1 or 2) video capturing device working under Linux. The USB requirement is due to the lack of PCI slots on the target machine. I already tested a couple of Pinnacle products without any luck: they don't support Linux at all. Any suggestion welcome, thanks in advance. On Tue, 04 Jan 2005 10:59:48 +0100, sr <sr@sr.sr-invalid> wrote: >I'm looking for a reasonably priced USB (1 or 2) video capturing >device working under Linux. The USB requirement is due to the >lack of PCI slots on the target machine. >I alrea...

[News] Video Capture Card Ready for Linux
PCIe video capture card supports Linux apps ,----[ Quote ] | Adlink Technology has introduced a PCI Express video capture card aimed at | surveillance and machine-vision applications. The PCIe-RTV24 is said to | capture and display four channels of video at rates up to 30fps per channel, | and is available with Linux support. `---- http://www.linuxdevices.com/news/NS6921267826.html Related: IP camera design runs MIPS Linux ,----[ Quote ] | The "Mini-IP Camera" kit is based on Micronas's Cypher ESN7108A SoC | (system-on-chip), and runs Linux on the SoC's MIPS core...

Video Capture Card for Red Hat Embedded linux
Hi all, I am going to make a set top box with a linux box. So, i am looking for some TV Capture card that support Linux. Also would be easy to develop some software for the Card. Any suggestion? Or, did my approach is corret on using a tv capture card on linux to implement my set top box? would the market use the other solution. As i am new and doing it for my school project Thanks in advance Chun ...

quick: good/cheap video capture card for linux
hey guys, im in need of a good video capture card in linux, ie, one that works. my options are as listed here: http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/category/category_slc.asp?Recs=10&Nav=|c:1427|&Sort=4 so i guess the question is more specifically, "hey! can anyone tell me if those sabrent cards or usb device are any good??" (and the kworld one too) does anyone have any experience?? i really want to avoid spending more than $40 on it.. and usb would be great due to portability.. but, i want something that will work with my linux. thanks in advance. oh, im also press...

What's the most stable Video Capture/Tuner Card for Linux?
Hi, I want to buy a tuner/capture card for my Fedora 1 system. I'm hoping to spend less than $50. What cards should I consider? It looks like the bttv module has been running for a while, so it's probably pretty stable? Thanks, John John wrote: > Hi, > > I want to buy a tuner/capture card for my Fedora 1 system. I'm hoping > to spend less than $50. Which currency would that be? > What cards should I consider? It looks like the bttv module has been > running for a while, so it's probably pretty stable? Certainly stable. Well supported. The problem with ...

ATI TV Tuner Card - Captured Video
Specs: Win XP ATI TV Wonder (PCI) ATI radeon 9700 pro 512 meg of memory ati 7.9 media center I have ATI TV Wonder with all drivers installed that came with it, and then again (with fresh load of PC) with latest drivers (and at 8.9 media center) When I run configuration/PC test - it says Direct X is not installed properly or you need version 9.0 or higher. I installed Direct X before I did any drivers and then again after I did the test. I also installed Direct X patch: NTSC-J, PAL, and SECAM TV Tuner Hotfix for DirectX 9.0b on Windows 2000, Windows XP, and Windows Server 2003 (KB825116) ht...

ATI TV Tuner Card - Captured Video
Specs: Win XP ATI TV Wonder (PCI) ATI radeon 9700 pro 512 meg of memory ati 7.9 media center I have ATI TV Wonder with all drivers installed that came with it, and then again (with fresh load of PC) with latest drivers (and at 8.9 media center) When I run configuration/PC test - it says Direct X is not installed properly or you need version 9.0 or higher. I installed Direct X before I did any drivers and then again after I did the test. I also installed Direct X patch: NTSC-J, PAL, and SECAM TV Tuner Hotfix for DirectX 9.0b on Windows 2000, Windows XP, and Windows Server 2003 (KB825116) ht...

Good video card for video capture
Hi there, I am in the process of buying a video-card to do some tranfer of VCR videos to DVD. I was wondering if the ATI 9600xt would be a good choice or if there are others that are better... Thanks! I've had two nvidia VIVO cards (ti4200 / 6600GT) and they always had crumby borders in the picture. Had to use real tv/capture cards. -- Ed Light Smiley :-/ MS Smiley :-\ Send spam to the FTC at spam@uce.gov Thanks, robots. What is a "real" tv/capture card? I bought Pinnacle Studio 9 USB and the quality of the pictures is horrible. I thought the USB was responsible ...

Good video card for video capture
Hi there, I am in the process of buying a video-card to do some tranfer of VCR videos to DVD. I was wondering if the ATI 9600xt would be a good choice or if there are others that are better... Thanks! I've had two nvidia VIVO cards (ti4200 / 6600GT) and they always had crumby borders in the picture. Had to use real tv/capture cards. -- Ed Light Smiley :-/ MS Smiley :-\ Send spam to the FTC at spam@uce.gov Thanks, robots. What is a "real" tv/capture card? I bought Pinnacle Studio 9 USB and the quality of the pictures is horrible. I thought the USB was responsible ...

Using two video cards (one for video capture)
Forgive the newbie question, but I am setting up a new computer (using Windows XP) and would like to check on something. I will be using a Hercules 3D Prophet 64mb AGP video card. I would also like to include my old All In Wonder Pro PCI card for TV and video capture. The Hercules card would be my main video card and would be connected to my monitor, but I would like to use the All In Wonder Pro to input TV and VCR/camcorder signals. Is it possible to have them both installed at the same time? Please let me know. Thanks...JohnB ...

Using two video cards (one for video capture)
Forgive the newbie question, but I am setting up a new computer (using Windows XP) and would like to check on something. I will be using a Hercules 3D Prophet 64mb AGP video card. I would also like to include my old All In Wonder Pro PCI card for TV and video capture. The Hercules card would be my main video card and would be connected to my monitor, but I would like to use the All In Wonder Pro to input TV and VCR/camcorder signals. Is it possible to have them both installed at the same time? Please let me know. Thanks...JohnB ...

Good video (3D & video input) card for Linux
Hi, I've got an old PC (3 years old). I use it for games, and video (to make VCD from my cam-recorder). I have an ATI All in wonder Pro 128 AGPx4, which is not fully supported by Linux (from MDK 7.0 up to MDK 10). Video output is working badly (even on Windows XP there is some drivers problems), recording input video doesn't work on Linux (but does on XP). I want to by a new card (less than $180), which does 3D and video input. I NEED the 'transform & lightning' feature for games :-) I don't care about video output, reading DVD (but it should work), AGPx8 (my mo...

Good laptop pc card capture card options for video?
I'm seeking a decent capture device for a laptop to capture video from svideo and rca stereo cables.. I'll be recording it right onto the single harddrive inside the unit ( i thought about doing the seperate external drive, but for now ill try the internal one)... I'd say I'd want at least "DVD" resolution, even though yeah, its just svideo... Do they even make any Laptop capture devices for component video or hdmi (for HD quality).. This device has to be a PC card, as I dont have a express card slot available. Here are a few I did find, not sure how good they ...

Can you use two video cards (one for video capture)?
[...]

TV capture card
Hi, Using a new Leadtek Winfast PVR2000 tv capture card on WinXPPro. Image quality on broadcast tv is fine but when I connect the card to my VHS VCR in order to capture my tapes to the PC (for example) via the S-Video socket on the card to a SCART socket on the VCR I get a tight criss-cross pattern, which you can see from this capture screenshot: http://www.dataper.demon.co.uk/delete/example.jpg Any ideas on what's causing this? Note: it's nothing to do with recording settings as the criss-cross patterns are there when the video is just playing 'live' through the captu...

TV capture card
Hi, Using a new Leadtek Winfast PVR2000 tv capture card on WinXPPro. Image quality on broadcast tv is fine but when I connect the card to my VHS VCR in order to capture my tapes to the PC (for example) via the S-Video socket on the card to a SCART socket on the VCR I get a tight criss-cross pattern, which you can see from this capture screenshot: http://www.dataper.demon.co.uk/delete/example.jpg Any ideas on what's causing this? Note: it's nothing to do with recording settings as the criss-cross patterns are there when the video is just playing 'live' through the captu...

Req: Software to broadcast video from Video capture card over TCP/IP network.
Hi, I was wondering if there is software availble to broadcast video from a Video capture card over a TCP/IP network. preferably it will do audio also. Thanks ...

Can I use Labview to capture images from a video, via a PC video card?
I have a video camera hooked up to a VCR, hooked up to a PC video card. Can I acquire images from the video in Labview? Hello =96 You can use LabVIEW to acquire images from a video card. We have the <a href=3Dhttp://sine.ni.com/apps/we/nioc.vp?cid=3D1396&lang=3DUS>LabVIEW Vision Development Module</a> and the <a href=3Dhttp://sine.ni.com/apps/we/nioc.vp?cid=3D11700&lang=3DUS>NI Vision Builder</a>. Would you like me to have a technical representative contact you to discuss your application? Then you can decide what tool would work better for you. If you do, p...