VOIP - what alternatives of linux users

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

OK, I've had a look at http://www.callthemcheap.com/

But what I want is
- make phone calls while I'm using SuSE & connected to the net via 56K modem
- I want to make phone calls to terrestrial phones
- hopefully simple hardware
- I'm willing to pay

This must be a technology whose time has come. What options are there for
me?

gtoomey
0
Reply nospam258 (239) 1/15/2004 2:17:19 AM

See related articles to this posting
comp.os.linux.misc 33312 articles. 19 followers. Post

Globe7 has Launched new VOIP! Phone for linux users
Dear Friends, Globe7 has Launched new VOIP! Phone for linux users, I can say its a combination of Skype and you tube, calling across Globe for FREE, live CHAT, free VIDEO watching, create u r own communities, create ur OWN CHANNEL and share with friends, send SMS. Calling 25 Destinations is Obsolutely FREEEEEEEEEE. First ever application in Linux http://www.globe7.com/linuxsys.php Download globe7 and Register here for free talktime ...

[News] Latest Vista Spyware Draws Users to Alternative Operating Systems (Linux)
Vista spyware may give filip to Linux and OS X ,----[ Quote ] | There is of course Linux, an operating system that enterprises are | considering with increasing frequency. Relatively few have made the jump | to the Linux desktop but they now have a clear choice between moving to | Vista with its tight validation controls and Linux distributions without | such controls from Vendors such as Red Hat and Novell, as well as | freely available distributions such as Ubuntu. | | [...] | | In fact, Microsoft's decision to try to nab Vista software pirates | using spyware may be the best thing th...

Linux vs Linux Users.. For Ahlstrom.. One Example of Miserable Linux Users.
And there are plenty more examples of how awful, miserable, nasty, and plain not helpful Linux users are. Here is one example: http://www.shamusyoung.com/twentysidedtale/?p=20339 "Back in January, I wrote this ridiculous comparison of Linux and Windows, where I took some of the annoying disadvantages of Windows and listed them as advantages. It was silly, absurd fun and if there was anything wrong with the post itself it might be that I made the satire too obvious. "And then the crazy people showed up." "A few days after that post slid off the fron...

[News] BSD to a Linux User, Linux to a BSD User
BSD vs Linux ,----[ Quote ] | I run FreeBSD on my computers. A lot of my friends run Linux, or at least | one of the distributions of it. Naturally, then, we agree that a | Unix-style operating system is the right choice, but we disagree on | which to use. | | [...] | | BSD is designed. Linux is grown. Perhaps that's the only succinct way | to describe it, and possibly the most correct. `---- http://www.over-yonder.net/~fullermd/rants/bsd4linux/bsd4linux1.php Roy Schestowitz wrote: > BSD vs Linux > > ,----[ Quote ] > | I run FreeBSD on my computers. A lot of my friends ru...

[News] [Linux] More Users and More Choice in Linux Makes Users Happier
A Linux User in Vista-land: Finishing Up ,----[ Quote ] | And finally, Vista has not gotten it straight with multiple users. In linux | you can simply switch users, over multiple f’s (f7-f11 for X users, | f1-f6 for terminal users). With Vista switching back and forth between | users is nowhere near as quick. Its logout, select user, enter password, | and then see other desktop, with 1-2 second gaps between each of these | operations. `---- http://nosrednaekim.wordpress.com/2007/06/19/a-linux-user-in-vista-land-finishing-up/ Zen of Linux ,----[ Quote ] | The beauty of Linux is that the...

Linux and audio? Here is what a Linux user is up against!!!
http://www.nakack.net/?p=19 Shuttle SN25P Sound I just bought a new machine a few days ago and lo and behold, the sound isn't supported yet. It's the onboard sound chip from a shuttle FN25 board in the SN25P chassis (nforce4, socket 939). Or, at least not out of the box in ubuntu hoary. The driver that this thing uses is the 'ice1724' module. Here's how I got it to work... 1st off, when I would modprobe the default kernel module, I'd receive these messages in the kernel ring buffer (dmesg): ice1724: Invalid EEPROM (size = 255) ICE1724: probe of 0000:05:06.0 failed ...

Linux user Google infringes patent in April 22 US ruling... all Linux users liable
Hahaha. About time Linux freeloaders got the boot from hard working patent holders. Time to pay up, as wholes. RL http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-13168296 "The implication here is really that there is a huge number of Linux users who will be required to pay royalties if this patent holder knocks on their doors in the US. This is definitely a major impediment to the growth of Linux and makes companies, including Google, that rely on open source code particularly vulnerable to patent threats." That is also the view of other industry watchers who expect a flood of lawsuits a...

[News] [Linux] New User Very Impressed with Linux and Linux Gaming (Not So with Windows Vista)
Linux FPS [PCLinuxOS] ,----[ Quote ] | A few weeks ago I installed PCLinuxOS 2007 and I'm very impressed | with it. One of the things I like is their package manager--everything | is there, you don't need to add any extra repositories (a popular | distro that starts with "U" infuriates me with all the mucking | around you have to do), and there are never any issues with | unresolved dependencies. | | Anyway, last week I downloaded through the package manager a | game called Sauerbraten. It's a great multi player FPS. It's | completely free and very entertainin...

[News] [Linux] Advantages of Linux Listed, Vista Drives Another User to Linux
5 reasons to use Ubuntu and not Windows ,----[ Quote ] | Freedom of choice | | A stable system that doesn't have to be renewed | | Competition is good for technological progress | | Software is there to do a job, not to benefit a company | | The many, many little things `---- http://ubuntudaily.com/2007/05/10/5-reasons-to-use-ubuntu-and-not-windows/ Open source and Linux looking better every day ,----[ Quote ] | Vista Home Basic - How do you figure out all these different | versions available? Thankfully a desktop shortcut to download | an upgrade - the upgrade treadmill head start...