VOIP - what alternatives of linux users

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

OK, I've had a look at http://www.callthemcheap.com/

But what I want is
- make phone calls while I'm using SuSE & connected to the net via 56K modem
- I want to make phone calls to terrestrial phones
- hopefully simple hardware
- I'm willing to pay

This must be a technology whose time has come. What options are there for
me?

gtoomey
0
Reply nospam258 (239) 1/15/2004 2:17:19 AM

See related articles to this posting

comp.os.linux.misc 33370 articles. 19 followers. Post

Globe7 has Launched new VOIP! Phone for linux users
Dear Friends, Globe7 has Launched new VOIP! Phone for linux users, I can say its a combination of Skype and you tube, calling across Globe for FREE, live CHAT, free VIDEO watching, create u r own communities, create ur OWN CHANNEL and share with friends, send SMS. Calling 25 Destinations is Obsolutely FREEEEEEEEEE. First ever application in Linux http://www.globe7.com/linuxsys.php Download globe7 and Register here for free talktime ...

[News] Latest Vista Spyware Draws Users to Alternative Operating Systems (Linux)
Vista spyware may give filip to Linux and OS X ,----[ Quote ] | There is of course Linux, an operating system that enterprises are | considering with increasing frequency. Relatively few have made the jump | to the Linux desktop but they now have a clear choice between moving to | Vista with its tight validation controls and Linux distributions without | such controls from Vendors such as Red Hat and Novell, as well as | freely available distributions such as Ubuntu. | | [...] | | In fact, Microsoft's decision to try to nab Vista software pirates | using spyware may be the best thing th...

Linux vs Linux Users.. For Ahlstrom.. One Example of Miserable Linux Users.
And there are plenty more examples of how awful, miserable, nasty, and plain not helpful Linux users are. Here is one example: http://www.shamusyoung.com/twentysidedtale/?p=20339 "Back in January, I wrote this ridiculous comparison of Linux and Windows, where I took some of the annoying disadvantages of Windows and listed them as advantages. It was silly, absurd fun and if there was anything wrong with the post itself it might be that I made the satire too obvious. "And then the crazy people showed up." "A few days after that post slid off the fron...

[News] BSD to a Linux User, Linux to a BSD User
BSD vs Linux ,----[ Quote ] | I run FreeBSD on my computers. A lot of my friends run Linux, or at least | one of the distributions of it. Naturally, then, we agree that a | Unix-style operating system is the right choice, but we disagree on | which to use. | | [...] | | BSD is designed. Linux is grown. Perhaps that's the only succinct way | to describe it, and possibly the most correct. `---- http://www.over-yonder.net/~fullermd/rants/bsd4linux/bsd4linux1.php Roy Schestowitz wrote: > BSD vs Linux > > ,----[ Quote ] > | I run FreeBSD on my computers. A lot of my friends ru...

[News] [Linux] More Users and More Choice in Linux Makes Users Happier
A Linux User in Vista-land: Finishing Up ,----[ Quote ] | And finally, Vista has not gotten it straight with multiple users. In linux | you can simply switch users, over multiple f’s (f7-f11 for X users, | f1-f6 for terminal users). With Vista switching back and forth between | users is nowhere near as quick. Its logout, select user, enter password, | and then see other desktop, with 1-2 second gaps between each of these | operations. `---- http://nosrednaekim.wordpress.com/2007/06/19/a-linux-user-in-vista-land-finishing-up/ Zen of Linux ,----[ Quote ] | The beauty of Linux is that the...

Linux and audio? Here is what a Linux user is up against!!!
http://www.nakack.net/?p=19 Shuttle SN25P Sound I just bought a new machine a few days ago and lo and behold, the sound isn't supported yet. It's the onboard sound chip from a shuttle FN25 board in the SN25P chassis (nforce4, socket 939). Or, at least not out of the box in ubuntu hoary. The driver that this thing uses is the 'ice1724' module. Here's how I got it to work... 1st off, when I would modprobe the default kernel module, I'd receive these messages in the kernel ring buffer (dmesg): ice1724: Invalid EEPROM (size = 255) ICE1724: probe of 0000:05:06.0 failed ...

Linux user Google infringes patent in April 22 US ruling... all Linux users liable
Hahaha. About time Linux freeloaders got the boot from hard working patent holders. Time to pay up, as wholes. RL http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-13168296 "The implication here is really that there is a huge number of Linux users who will be required to pay royalties if this patent holder knocks on their doors in the US. This is definitely a major impediment to the growth of Linux and makes companies, including Google, that rely on open source code particularly vulnerable to patent threats." That is also the view of other industry watchers who expect a flood of lawsuits a...

[News] [Linux] New User Very Impressed with Linux and Linux Gaming (Not So with Windows Vista)
Linux FPS [PCLinuxOS] ,----[ Quote ] | A few weeks ago I installed PCLinuxOS 2007 and I'm very impressed | with it. One of the things I like is their package manager--everything | is there, you don't need to add any extra repositories (a popular | distro that starts with "U" infuriates me with all the mucking | around you have to do), and there are never any issues with | unresolved dependencies. | | Anyway, last week I downloaded through the package manager a | game called Sauerbraten. It's a great multi player FPS. It's | completely free and very entertainin...

[News] [Linux] Advantages of Linux Listed, Vista Drives Another User to Linux
5 reasons to use Ubuntu and not Windows ,----[ Quote ] | Freedom of choice | | A stable system that doesn't have to be renewed | | Competition is good for technological progress | | Software is there to do a job, not to benefit a company | | The many, many little things `---- http://ubuntudaily.com/2007/05/10/5-reasons-to-use-ubuntu-and-not-windows/ Open source and Linux looking better every day ,----[ Quote ] | Vista Home Basic - How do you figure out all these different | versions available? Thankfully a desktop shortcut to download | an upgrade - the upgrade treadmill head start...

[News] [Linux] Linux Users Groups Formed in Bahrain, Macedonia Looks at Linux Laptops
Bahrain LUG Announced ,----[ Quote ] | We are pleased to announce the first meeting of the Bahrain Linux User | Group! `---- http://mahmood.tv/2007/05/30/bahrain-lug-announced/ One Laptop Per Macedonian Child ,----[ Quote ] | I am Novica Nakov of Free Software Macedonia and the Macedonian | Government announced a project about computers in education in | December 2006. The ambitious project "Computer for every student" | is now under way. `---- http://www.olpcnews.com/sales_talk/countries/one_laptop_per_macedonian_child.html Wintel is already on the scene, prepared to "...

[News] [Linux] The $100 Linux Laptop Presented in Long Island Linux User Group
dotCOMmieLilug, OLPC presented by John Palmieri (2007) ,----[ Quote ] | Recording of Long Island Linux User Group (lilug.org) talk on OLPC by John | (J5) Palmieri. `---- http://www.archive.org/details/LILUG_20070508_OLPC Related: One laptop per child and open source ,----[ Quote ] | For once Microsoft is getting the reverse Linux laptop experience: | little support and little documentation for the hardware. The result | will be a platform that doesn?t include any of the really novel | features that we're building in, bad power management, no systems | management via the firmware and...

Why Desktop Linux Has Failed... From A Linux User....
http://www.everydaylinuxuser.com/2012/09/10-things-average-joe-wont-know-about.html A perfect example of why desktop Linux has failed even after 20 years of being free. http://www.everydaylinuxuser.com/2012/09/10-things-average-joe-wont-know-about.html On 09/26/2012 06:47 PM, Foster wrote: > http://www.everydaylinuxuser.com/2012/09/10-things-average-joe-wont-know-about.html > > A perfect example of why desktop Linux has failed even after 20 > years of being free. > > http://www.everydaylinuxuser.com/2012/09/10-things-average-joe-wont-know-about.html > ...

Linux user versus Windows user?
http://www.mnftiu.cc/2007/10/08/filing-202/ -- "... an experienced, industrious, ambitious, and often quite often picturesque liar." -- Mark Twain ...

More Desktop Linux Users Than Windows Users...

linux users vs oracle users
Hi everyone, (not sure if this post belongs here or not, just say the word and I'll cut n' paste to a more appropriate group..) I have just installed Oracle9i on Linux RedHat9 and I am not clear on how it is accessed with a Linux user account. I followed the steps in the installation guide and used an account called 'oracle' in a group called 'dba'. The installation went fine and I can start Oracle with this user. But it seems that I can only run Oracle with this user. If I log in to Linux with my regular Linux username (john) I have to 'su' to the ...

Linux users, Windows users, and Mac users... Can't we all just get along?
Anyone who opposes an idea is a retard. Anyone who uses a different OS is a retard. If someone has an opinion, he is a retard. If someone points out anything about Microsoft he/she is a retard. If anyone thinks linux is good, he/she is a retard. This more or less sums up the vast majority of posts in this group, with only about 1 in ten messages actually thought out. For those linux users, I like linux myself, but its slightly hypocritical to say that Microsoft kills freedom, and then, whenever someone says anything resembling anti-linux, you murder their opinions with "You're a mor...

comp.os.linux.setup, comp.os.linux.hardware, alt.comp.hardware, linux.debian.user
trying to partition a USB pen drive with ext3 and VFAT file systems Hi, .. I have been tryin gto make partitions and ext3 and VFAT file systems on a pen drive using debian/knoppix. .. I would like to ultimately install Debian using debootstrap .. There are a number of odd symptoms I hadn't seen before. When I boot via cheat code "knoppix init 3" and run "fdisk -l /dev/sda*", I get, what to me looks like the drive is reporting on 2 different partition tables present on the same drive: .. // - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -...

A new Linux Mint user converts himself to Linux
New to Linux Mint ,----[ Quote ] | Ive just been converted to Linux, I have been wanting to try it for | a couple of years now, but have only just plucked up the courage to | give it a go. I must say, after an easy installation, and the plain | talk help and user guides, Ill probably never buy another windows | pc. Thanks to all you experts who have got Linux this far, I think | youll see a lot more people using it. `---- http://www.linuxmint.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=20607#p121842 -- Linux - You must break it | Windows - It breaks itself ...

Linux Counter: 128203 registered Linux users
This is the monthly report from the Linux Usage Counter. It is posted on the 1st of every month on the newsgroup comp.os.linux.misc, and on the Linux Counter "announce" list. Registration and information is available via the World Wide Web; connect to URL http://counter.li.org/ This is the preferred interface to the counter. NOTE: You can UPDATE your record in the counter if you have your registration key, which was sent to you when you registered. Go to http://counter.li.org/person/ EMAIL: To enter your registration into the statistics, send an E-mail to linux-counter@uninett.n...

Linux Counter: 114958 registered Linux users
This is the monthly report from the Linux Usage Counter. It is posted on the 1st of every month on the newsgroup comp.os.linux.misc, and on the Linux Counter "announce" list. Registration and information is available via the World Wide Web; connect to URL http://counter.li.org/ This is the preferred interface to the counter. NOTE: You can UPDATE your record in the counter if you have your registration key, which was sent to you when you registered. Go to http://counter.li.org/person/ EMAIL: To enter your registration into the statistics, send an E-mail to linux-counter@uninett.n...

Linux Counter: 138027 registered Linux users
This is the monthly report from the Linux Usage Counter. It is posted on the 1st of every month on the newsgroup comp.os.linux.misc, and on the Linux Counter "announce" list. Registration and information is available via the World Wide Web; connect to URL http://counter.li.org/ This is the preferred interface to the counter. NOTE: You can UPDATE your record in the counter if you have your registration key, which was sent to you when you registered. Go to http://counter.li.org/person/ EMAIL: To enter your registration into the statistics, send an E-mail to linux-counter@uninett.n...

Linux Counter: 121687 registered Linux users
This is the monthly report from the Linux Usage Counter. It is posted on the 1st of every month on the newsgroup comp.os.linux.misc, and on the Linux Counter "announce" list. Registration and information is available via the World Wide Web; connect to URL http://counter.li.org/ This is the preferred interface to the counter. NOTE: You can UPDATE your record in the counter if you have your registration key, which was sent to you when you registered. Go to http://counter.li.org/person/ EMAIL: To enter your registration into the statistics, send an E-mail to linux-counter@uninett.n...

Linux Counter: 144121 registered Linux users
This is the monthly report from the Linux Usage Counter. It is posted on the 1st of every month on the newsgroup comp.os.linux.misc, and on the Linux Counter "announce" list. Registration and information is available via the World Wide Web; connect to URL http://counter.li.org/ This is the preferred interface to the counter. NOTE: You can UPDATE your record in the counter if you have your registration key, which was sent to you when you registered. Go to http://counter.li.org/person/ EMAIL: To enter your registration into the statistics, send an E-mail to linux-counter@uninett.n...

Linux Counter: 122587 registered Linux users