VOIP - what alternatives of linux users

OK, I've had a look at http://www.callthemcheap.com/

But what I want is
- make phone calls while I'm using SuSE & connected to the net via 56K modem
- I want to make phone calls to terrestrial phones
- hopefully simple hardware
- I'm willing to pay

This must be a technology whose time has come. What options are there for
me?

gtoomey
0
nospam258 (239)
1/15/2004 2:17:19 AM
comp.os.linux.misc 33612 articles. 22 followers. amosa69 (125) is leader. Post Follow

[tao-users] Re: Does ORB terminate/clean up the threads after client is disconnected from the Server in thread-per-connection model?
Hi Thanks for using the PRF form. The thread is terminated. Regards, Johnny Willemsen Remedy IT Postbus 101 2650 AC Berkel en Rodenrijs The Netherlands www.theaceorb.nl / www.remedy.nl "Sandy" <whoknowsace@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:<1118271494.601048.178960@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com>... > Hi TAO/ACE gurus: > > TAO VERSION: 1.4 > ACE VERSION: 5.4 > HOST MACHINE and OPERATING SYSTEM: > HPUX 9000, CPU: B2600, build on HP_UX11.20, tested on HP_UX11i > COMPILER NAME AND VERSION (AND PATCHLEVEL): > config-hpux-11.0...

Voip Updated Howto,New Voip Phones,Voip Conferencing,Satellite Voip,Virtual PBX Solutions
Voip Updated Howto,New Voip Phones,Voip Conferencing,Satellite Voip,Virtual PBX Solutions How this is possible, what systems are used, what is the standard, all that is covered by this ... http://www.freewebs.com/voipformula/VoIP-HOWTO.html ...

fwrite - Linux and ISP
Hello all, I run a web site via a hosting provider on Linux. The web site runs php scripts and one of the scripts writes information to a log file running on the same server as the php scripts. The directory where the log file is has a chmod of 777. Now as of about 48hrs ago everytime I attempt to execute the php script (via a url call) that writes to a log file it reaches the following line of code and the code seems to terminate with no warning or error code passed: fputs($fp, $line, strlen($line)); Now here is the strange bit - if anyone else not using Paradise as their ISP attempts t...

Linux kernel panic
Hello, I just wanted to install realTime module (rtLinux) to linux red hat 8.0 (on vmWare). I go exactly as mentioned in intruction (http://www.ece.osu.edu/~cglee/ECE694Z/rtlinux/rtlinuxInstallation2005Sp.pdf ) and everything goes fine till lilo.conf. I added the following lines: image /boot/rtzImage label = rtLinux read-only root=/dev/sda2 where /dev/sda2 I take from the results of df command (sda2 stands for / ). While executing I got: request_module[block-major-8]: Root fs not mounted VFS: Cannot open root device "802" or 08:02 Please append a correct "ro...

Adding user with ZFS home directory

RBOCs Seeking Quick Checkmate On VoIP
[Note: There are a few links to other articles and web sites embedded in this article; therefore you may just want to go read it at the web site.] http://www.advancedippipeline.com/voip/53701340 By Paul Kapustka Advanced IP Pipeline As we predicted earlier this month, a Bush victory in the election would favor the incumbents in the telecom market. And without much delay, the RBOCs are already pressing their advantages with the hope of winning the Voice over IP battle before it even gets started. Last week, the spotlight belonged to SBC, with announcements all over the VoIP ...

Linux Frequently Asked Questions with Answers (Part 5 of 6) #22
Archive-Name: linux/faq/part5 URL: http://www.mainmatter.com/ Reply-to: rkiesling@mainmatter.com Posting-Frequency: weekly Last-modified: 12/04/2001 If the system uses Red Hat-style configuration files, the respective time zone info files are /usr/share/zoneinfo and /etc/localtime. The manual pages for tzset or tzselect describe setting the time zone. Some programs recognize the "TZ" environment variable, but this is not POSIX-correct. You should also make sure that your Linux kernel clock is set to the correct GMT time. Type date -u and check that the correct UTC time is displaye...

My first animation
While cleaning out the attic I found the very first animation I ever did, more than 17 years ago. I photographed the drawings, and then put them together with convert and mencoder, which was without doubt the fastest way to do the job (took like 2 minutes or so). http://www.drumscum.be/my_first_animation.avi The assignment was to do something with a 'box' and 'perspective'. I came up with this, and was graded highest. Too bad I gave up animation film in favour of music. -- The optimist proclaims that we live in the best of all possible worlds. The pessimist fears this is t...

Stats comp.os.linux.setup (last 7 days) #86
Stats comp.os.linux.setup (last 7 days) Top 10 posters for the period: rank posts kbytes name address 1 17 53.2 Peter T. Breuer ptb@lab.it.uc3m.es 2 17 41.7 Nico Kadel-Garcia nkadel@comcast.net 3 14 37.9 Bill Davidsen davidsen@tmr.com 4 9 27.2 Michael Heiming michael+USENET@www.heimin 5 9 18.5 Jose Maria Lopez Hernan jkerouac@bgsec.com 6 7 32.0 Stan Goodman SPAM_FOILER@hashkedim.com 7 6 14.3 rootmad rootmad@rootmad.com 8 6 9...

Are there any hardware info detection software under Linux??
Hi all I searched but couldnot find some PC hardware infomation detection software under linux like CPU info etc.. Where can find them? Thanks This is a MIME GnuPG-signed message. If you see this text, it means that your E-mail or Usenet software does not support MIME signed messages. The Internet standard for MIME PGP messages, RFC 2015, was published in 1996. To open this message correctly you will need to install E-mail or Usenet software that supports modern Internet standards. --=_mimegpg-commodore.email-scan.com-27844-1169699274-0001 Content-Type: text/plain; format=flowed; char...

Help: pthread priority in Linux 2.4 Kernel #2
Hi, I am running redHat 9 with all the starndard kernel config that comes with redHat 9. I am trying to create threads with multiple priorities. However although it looks very simple, I dont see the priority of the thread not taking any affect. I am compling the code under "root". I think there is something missing in the kernel config or gcc flag which affects my priority of the thread. Following is my code #include <pthread.h> #include <stdio.h> void * testThread(void *arg) { while (1)) printf ("Thread--- %s \n", (unsigned char *) arg); } in...

SHOUT voip gateway
Has anyone got experience/feedback regarding use of NET.COM's SHOUT gateways? any information can be of great help to us thanks, Jonina Hi Jonina Regarding the NET. COM products, I have used them (1100s,1100,2500 & shoutlink) over the last 18 months at theminutefactory at the start there where some irritating problems but the NET. COM team in the UK and the USA have been great at getting resolutions the systems are now not bad, The best thing about them is they are very quick to config and get up and humming also the ISDN interface is very flexible with the real worl...

[News] SGI Escapes Bankruptcy, with GNU/Linux
SGI: Still Alive And Kicking ,----[ Quote ] | Changing times. IRIX and MIPS, the company's proprietary Unix and | semiconductors, respectively, fell out of favor as the industry shifted to | x86 and Linux. `---- http://www.internetnews.com/bus-news/article.php/3718911 Quote for the day: "The major reason for this is: to combat [Netscape] we have to position the browser as “going away” and do deeper integration on Windows. The stronger way to communicate this is to have a “new release” of Windows and make a big deal out of it. We will thus position Memphis as “Windows 98″. IE...

Alternate initializers or alternate class?
Jan Molic recently contacted me about a slighlty modified version of his OrderedHash class that I distribute in Facets, the Dictionary class. There are a few variations of this class initself and Jan originally provided these via a subclass. I, on the other, thought alternate initializers would be better. Which is the best approach? Ex. class AutoOrderHash < OrderedHash def new(*args) super(*args){ |h,k| h[k] = self.class.new } end end vs. class OrderHash def self.auto(*args) new(*args){ |h,k| h[k] = self.class.new } end end Thanks, T. ...

LINUX SYSLOG SERVER
Hello, I need some help to setup the syslog option on a router, and send the syslog messages to a Linux Server. Thank You On 4 Nov 2006 16:28:14 -0800, vreyesii wrote: > Hello, > > I need some help to setup the syslog option on a router, and send the > syslog messages to a Linux Server. Other people's Free advice: http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html vreyesii wrote: > > Hello, > > I need some help to setup the syslog option on a router, and send the > syslog messages to a Linux Server. You'll have to be a lot more specific than that if...

[News] Motorola to Work on Mobile Linux Applications

US-DC-Washington: Network Administrator, Win 2K, Linux, PHP Scripting; C-P (45317957606)
US-DC-Washington: Network Administrator, Win 2K, Linux, PHP Scripting; C-P (45317957606) ======================================================================================== Position: Network Administrator Reference: SMC01631 Location: Washington DC Duration: C-P Skills: Windows 2000, MS Office Linux Back end Publishing - plus Web Scripting (PHP Scripting) - plus Scope: Administer a network of 40-50 users, provide technical support, and do backend publishing Please sen...

Installing IDL 6.1 on debian linux 3
....So I installed everything in the default directory to avoid any exotic problem. Now I am stuck on the license thing -again-. I thought I found the solution while searching on google for: "The license daemon has found no vendor daemons to start" ->http://pfcguide.com/_newsgroups/msgbody.asp?id=%3C3f445d41%40forums-2-dub%3E&no=126&group=sybase.public.dbxray <...> add the following line to your license file VENDOR SYBASE <...> I tried that: $ /usr/local/rsi/idl_6.1/bin/lmgrd -c /usr/local/rsi/license/license.dat <...> 12:10:21 (lmgrd) lmgrd tcp-por...

JDeveloper 9i on redhat linux
Hi, I just have tried JDeveloper for the first time and it looks interesting. Unfortunately my wheel mouse is not working, that means the wheel has the same effect as the right mouse buttom. I'm using a m*soft mouse that is working fine under KDE3 and other programs but seems not to work with JDeveloper. I read on some web pages that this is related to the underlaying JDK - I'm using 1.3.1 as supposed from Oracle. Is there by any chance a patch for this available? -- Matthias Wirtz - Norfolk, USA ...

[News] GNU/Linux is Gaining Momentum

comp.lang.objective-c alternative FAQ #17
This is an announcement of the alternative FAQ listing for the newsgroup comp.lang.objective-c. This FAQ is more up-to-date than the official listing, and contains information on popular topics such as Cocoa, GNUstep and the GNU Compiler Collection. The FAQ is found at http://www.thaesofereode.info/clocFAQ/ ...

Re: wxPropEdit under Linux
> Replace parent classes wxControl and wxScrollHelper with wxScrolledWindow. > > Attached is the diff to the source files and the Makefile I used in the > sample dir. > > Regards, > John Labenski Thanks! That worked perfectly. Does the wxPropEditor work with windows other than wxFrame? I'm trying to put a wxPropEditor in dwxDialog with OK/Cancel buttons, but with a sizer involved it seemed to get messed up . The sizer heirarchy is the following Vertical BoxSizer wxPropEditor Horizontal BoxSizer OK Button Cancel Button Wher...

Tiny Linux box targets solar, vehicle, control apps
Linux News - USA Techsol is offering a compact, low-powered, Linux computer based on a CPU module available from 50 to 600MHz. http://www.linuxdevices.com/news/NS6786092122.html ...

[News] [Rival] TGDaily Slams Windows Vista for User Unfriendliness
Vista is the most un-user friendly operating system ,----[ Quote ] | Opinion - I'll make this short and sweet because I know this subject has | flame war earmarks. Recently, I bought a Vista powered notebook. Leaving | aside the fact that I have to constantly click through "Vista needs your | permission to continue" prompts whenever I try to do most anything, even when | I go to look at the properties of my own network connections (not change | them), there are significant design flaws with Vista, at least from a user's | point of view. `---- http://www.tgdai...

Any VoIP phone will work with any VoIP software (skype, Gizmo, VoipBuster,etc)
Hi, i was considering getting a handset to use with skype (with skype for the time being) but with all the new services and competition (yahoo comes to mind) i forsee myself trying out other services. So, does anyone know if most of these phones (or VoIP adapters for regular phones) will work with most of the VoIP software? (Just for clarification, i am not talking about the voip carriers like vonage, sunrocket, etc). Any help would be greatly appreciated! Cheers -Gaiko On 11 Dec 2005 17:47:37 -0800 gaikokujinkyofusho@gmail.com wrote: > Hi, i was considering getting a ...