webcam as xinput keybard: why?

$ xinput list
⎡ Virtual core pointer                     id=2    [master pointer  (3)]
⎜   ↳ Virtual core XTEST pointer           id=4    [slave  pointer  (2)]
⎜   ↳ SynPS/2 Synaptics TouchPad           id=12   [slave  pointer  (2)]
⎣ Virtual core keyboard                    id=3    [master keyboard (2)]
    ↳ Virtual core XTEST keyboard          id=5    [slave  keyboard (3)]
    ↳ Integrated Webcam                    id=10   [slave  keyboard (3)]

Why is a webcam a keyboard to X11?

Elijah
------
found some other webcams by way of web search, but no answer of why
0
Eli

On Wed, 26 Oct 2016 04:39:59 +0000, Eli the Bearded wrote:

> $ xinput list
> ⎡ Virtual core pointer                     id=2    [master pointer  (3)]
> ⎜   ↳ Virtual core XTEST pointer           id=4    [slave  pointer  (2)]
> ⎜   ↳ SynPS/2 Synaptics TouchPad           id=12   [slave  pointer  (2)]
> ⎣ Virtual core keyboard                    id=3    [master keyboard (2)]
>     ↳ Virtual core XTEST keyboard          id=5    [slave  keyboard (3)]
>     ↳ Integrated Webcam                    id=10   [slave  keyboard (3)]
>
> Why is a webcam a keyboard to X11?
>
> Elijah
> ------
> found some other webcams by way of web search, but no answer of why

Does the cam have any buttons on or related to it? Maybe it's
registering itself as an input device to handle those.

Run xev then press a camera button and see what happens.
0
Joe
10/26/2016 1:19:17 PM
On 26/10/16 14:19, Joe Beanfish wrote:
> On Wed, 26 Oct 2016 04:39:59 +0000, Eli the Bearded wrote:
>
>> $ xinput list
>> ⎡ Virtual core pointer                     id=2    [master pointer  (3)]
>> ⎜   ↳ Virtual core XTEST pointer           id=4    [slave  pointer  (2)]
>> ⎜   ↳ SynPS/2 Synaptics TouchPad           id=12   [slave  pointer  (2)]
>> ⎣ Virtual core keyboard                    id=3    [master keyboard (2)]
>>     ↳ Virtual core XTEST keyboard          id=5    [slave  keyboard (3)]
>>     ↳ Integrated Webcam                    id=10   [slave  keyboard (3)]
>>
>> Why is a webcam a keyboard to X11?
>>
>> Elijah
>> ------
>> found some other webcams by way of web search, but no answer of why
>
> Does the cam have any buttons on or related to it? Maybe it's
> registering itself as an input device to handle those.
>
> Run xev then press a camera button and see what happens.

My webcam reports itself simirlary. No buttons

...I'd spend it on drink.

Sir Henry (at Rawlinson's End)
0
The
10/26/2016 1:46:21 PM
On 10/26/2016 06:46 AM, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
> On 26/10/16 14:19, Joe Beanfish wrote:
>> On Wed, 26 Oct 2016 04:39:59 +0000, Eli the Bearded wrote:
>>
>>> $ xinput list
>>> ⎡ Virtual core pointer                     id=2    [master pointer  (3)]
>>> ⎜   ↳ Virtual core XTEST pointer           id=4    [slave  pointer  (2)]
>>> ⎜   ↳ SynPS/2 Synaptics TouchPad           id=12   [slave  pointer  (2)]
>>> ⎣ Virtual core keyboard                    id=3    [master keyboard (2)]
>>>     ↳ Virtual core XTEST keyboard          id=5    [slave  keyboard (3)]
>>>     ↳ Integrated Webcam                    id=10   [slave  keyboard (3)]
>>>
>>> Why is a webcam a keyboard to X11?
>>>
>>> Elijah
>>> ------
>>> found some other webcams by way of web search, but no answer of why
>>
>> Does the cam have any buttons on or related to it? Maybe it's
>> registering itself as an input device to handle those.
>>
>> Run xev then press a camera button and see what happens.
>>
> My webcam reports itself simirlary. No buttons

Identification
Vendor: ‎

Connection
Bus: ‎usb

Vendor ID: ‎0x064e

Device ID: ‎0x9301

Misc
Module: ‎kbd
	So my webcam reports itself as a keyboard as well in Hardware detection
but when I configure my scanners it reports itself as a scanner.  Again
no buttons, This is a built-in to the screen surround
device, operated by software (usually Cheese).

	bliss

--
bliss dash SF 4 ever at dslextreme dot com
0
On Wed, 26 Oct 2016 00:39:59 -0400, Eli the Bearded <*@eli.users.panix.com> wrote:

> Why is a webcam a keyboard to X11?

The USB Video Class driver includes support for webcams that do have
buttons, so whether the webcam physically has a button or not, the
driver supports buttons. I suspect the circuit board for the camera
does have the chips needed for a button, even if there isn't one
hooked up to it.

As the driver includes support for buttons, as far as the kernel is
concerned, it's an input device. If you think about it, even without
button support, the camera is an input device, so has to be put into
some input category. It's easier to add it to the keyboard section,
then to create a new category.

The webcam I have (logitech quickcam) does have a button.

Regards, Dave Hodgins

--
Change dwhodgins@nomail.afraid.org to davidwhodgins@teksavvy.com for
email replies.
In comp.os.linux.x, David W. Hodgins <dwhodgins@nomail.afraid.org> wrote:
> On Wed, 26 Oct 2016 00:39:59 -0400, Eli the Bearded <*@eli.users.panix.com> wrote:
>>  Why is a webcam a keyboard to X11?
> The USB Video Class driver includes support for webcams that do have
> buttons, so whether the webcam physically has a button or not, the
> driver supports buttons. I suspect the circuit board for the camera
> does have the chips needed for a button, even if there isn't one
> hooked up to it.

That makes a lot of sense.

>                                  If you think about it, even without
> button support, the camera is an input device, so has to be put into
> some input category.

And this is plausible. But it being an *input* device does not mean it
needs to be an *X11* input device, modulo it sending events that X11
will process. I've never seen a microphone amoung the xinput devices.

>                      It's easier to add it to the keyboard section,
> then to create a new category.

That makes less sense. Is X11 so contrained as to only be able to handle
two classes of input?

Elijah
------
usually X11 has the other problem: too many choices
0
Eli
10/26/2016 10:00:59 PM
On Wed, 26 Oct 2016 18:00:59 -0400, Eli the Bearded <*@eli.users.panix.com> wrote:

> In comp.os.linux.x, David W. Hodgins <dwhodgins@nomail.afraid.org> wrote:
>>                      It's easier to add it to the keyboard section,
>> then to create a new category.

> That makes less sense. Is X11 so contrained as to only be able to handle
> two classes of input?

Not so much the number of classes, as not being able to handle anything
other then very minor bug fixes.

X11 has reached the point that it is not maintainable. That's why it's
being re-written from scratch. The re-written X11 is called wayland.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wayland_(display_server_protocol)

Regards, Dave Hodgins