what this command mean ?

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

Hi,

I have see some commands but confused about there meaning
1)     chmod 4755 vpopmail/bin/vchkpw
I know r  4, w  2,x  1 ....so there are permission like 777,766,755 etc
possible
they are 3 number (777,766....etc)  because there are
owner+others+world
but why 4 word (4755)??

2) what it mean by
chown root.root vpopmal/bin/vchkpw

3) what is the job of "umask" ?

4)What is sticky bit  ?? Job of sticky bit ??

Please help me . I searched the web but still confused .

0
Reply learnq (15) 11/21/2005 12:49:03 PM

See related articles to this posting

Hi whoever.

learnq wrote:
> I have see some commands but confused about there meaning
> 1)     chmod 4755 vpopmail/bin/vchkpw
> I know r  4, w  2,x  1 ....so there are permission like 777,766,755 etc
> possible
> they are 3 number (777,766....etc)  because there are
> owner+others+world
> but why 4 word (4755)??

man chmod
btw: it's not owner, others, world but owner, group, others
(what would be the difference between world and others?!)

> 2) what it mean by
> chown root.root vpopmal/bin/vchkpw

man chown

> 3) what is the job of "umask" ?

man umask

--
Please compose your messages as plaintext,
and do not send MS Office attachments:

Hi whoever.

learnq wrote:
> I have see some commands but confused about there meaning
> 1)     chmod 4755 vpopmail/bin/vchkpw
> I know r  4, w  2,x  1 ....so there are permission like 777,766,755 etc
> possible
> they are 3 number (777,766....etc)  because there are
> owner+others+world
> but why 4 word (4755)??

man chmod
btw: it's not owner, others, world but owner, group, others
(what would be the difference between world and others?!)

> 2) what it mean by
> chown root.root vpopmal/bin/vchkpw

man chown

> 3) what is the job of "umask" ?

man umask

> 4)What is sticky bit  ?? Job of sticky bit ??

man chmod

Benjamin
--
Please compose your messages as plaintext,
and do not send MS Office attachments:
  http://www.efn.no/html-bad.html
  http://www.goldmark.org/netrants/no-word/attach.html
0
Reply gufler (7) 11/21/2005 1:07:01 PM

"learnq" <learnq@gmail.com> writes:

>Hi,

>I have see some commands but confused about there meaning
>1)     chmod 4755 vpopmail/bin/vchkpw
>I know r  4, w  2,x  1 ....so there are permission like 777,766,755 etc
>possible
>they are 3 number (777,766....etc)  because there are
>owner+others+world
>but why 4 word (4755)??

man 2 chmod

>2) what it mean by
>chown root.root vpopmal/bin/vchkpw

man chown

>3) what is the job of "umask" ?

man bash
/umask
the second occurence.

>4)What is sticky bit  ?? Job of sticky bit ??

For directories it forbits anyone but root or the owner of a file to remove
the file, even if that person has write permission to the directory.

>Please help me . I searched the web but still confused .

0
Reply unruh-spam (2989) 11/21/2005 2:54:58 PM
comp.os.linux.misc 33510 articles. 22 followers. Post

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

Q:What is the meaning of several commands in output of disasemble command of gdb?
Hi, all This is the output of disasemble command of gdb. I want to know meaning of stw, copy, ldi, ldo......and etc where is the reference or manual that covers these machine instructions ? HP 11i (11.11) (gdb) disass Dump of assembler code for function joj_dbstatement_init: 0xc162d0e0 <joj_dbstatement_init>: stw %rp,-0x14(%sp) 0xc162d0e4 <joj_dbstatement_init+4>: stw,ma %r3,0x40(%sp) 0xc162d0e8 <joj_dbstatement_init+8>: stw %r4,-0x3c(%sp) 0xc162d0ec <joj_dbstatement_init+12>: copy %r26,%r4 0xc162d0f0 <joj_dbstatement_init+16>: stw %r19,-0x20(%sp...

What does this command mean?
var=`less 1.txt` fgrep "something" < <(echo "$var") Does anybody know what is the first "<"? I think the second "<" is redirection. Thanks. webinfinite@gmail.com wrote: > var=`less 1.txt` > fgrep "something" < <(echo "$var") > > > Does anybody know what is the first "<"? I think the second "<" is > redirection. > > Thanks. It seems redundant.... On Oct 23, 7:45=A0am, "webinfin...@gmail.com" <webinfin...@gmail.com> wrote: > var=3D`less 1.txt`...

Q:What is the meaning of several commands in output of disasemble command of gdb?
Hi, all This is the output of disasemble command of gdb. I want to know meaning of stw, copy, ldi, ldo......and etc where is the reference or manual that covers these machine instructions ? HP 11i (11.11) (gdb) disass Dump of assembler code for function joj_dbstatement_init: 0xc162d0e0 <joj_dbstatement_init>: stw %rp,-0x14(%sp) 0xc162d0e4 <joj_dbstatement_init+4>: stw,ma %r3,0x40(%sp) 0xc162d0e8 <joj_dbstatement_init+8>: stw %r4,-0x3c(%sp) 0xc162d0ec <joj_dbstatement_init+12>: copy %r26,%r4 0xc162d0f0 <joj_dbstatement_init+16>: stw %r19,-0x20(%sp...

What do we mean by this commands
Hello, What do we mean by the SECOND command? >> A=1:4 >> A(5:10)=10:5:35 Thanks. Got it. It means, add the elements in "10:5:35" starting from element "5" and ending with element "10" in the vector "A". Thank you though. ...

Calculate an image mean withouth the "mean" command
Hi at all, first, sorry for the bad english... i have to calculate the mean of an image without using the command "mean". with mean i resolve in this way: [code]a=imread('x.JPG'); [M,N]=size(a); %mask 5x5 for i=1:M-4 for j=1:N-4 c = a(i : i+4 , j : j+4); media5(i,j)=mean( c ( : ) ); end; end;[/code] the teacher says that shoul be used more for-cycle, but i have no idea about how implement it. Thanks in advance ...

what is . command and : command?
hello, I am confused with . command and : command usage. can anybody help me to understand it with simple examples? Thanks in advance. regards, rahul On Tue, 06 Sep 2005 13:15:14 -0400, <rahul8143@gmail.com> wrote: > hello, > I am confused with . command and : command usage. can anybody help me > to understand it with simple examples? > Thanks in advance. > regards, > rahul > > .. means execute the following script in "this" shell as if it were a part of this shell's input or script that is currently running. One use is ...

What is the command/Is there a command...
to run a proc stored in a file other than the MD? If it is a Data Basic (Pick Basic) or Flash basic program at TCL you enter "run [filename][programname]" and the program executes. What if the "program" is a proc? Is there a tcl command that passes the tcl level excution command to another file? I am running a VB program and using the TclCommand object to run a tcl command which is actually a proc. the proc is stored in a file named "procs" Therefore, to run a proc I have to have an item in the MD thus: md,example 001 pq 002 [procs exa...

Difficult problem: renaming existing commands and changing meaning of existing command.
I hope someone will be able to help me with this. I have many latex files in which I used definition macros for typing shortcuts. Some of them are defined with \renewcommand, so that the original meaning of those commands are not available any more. Is there some way I could use the original symbols the commands stood for? ======================================================================= Here's an example--- I use \o for \omega, and have done so for several years without realizing I would be in trouble one day. Originally, I used \def \o{\omega}, and at some point changed to ...

Command Line Commands And Editor Commands
Hello, I used to use vax/vms for many years. I have just ordered a few books on these commands but would like links to Internet sites that list and explain the ones that I would be using as a programmer at the command line level. Thank you, Christopher Lusardi Chris L wrote: > Hello, > > I used to use vax/vms for many years. > > I have just ordered a few books on these commands but would like > links to Internet sites that list and explain the ones that I would be > using as a programmer at the command line level. > > Thank you, >...

programming mean of means
Hello everyone! Im in need of some help..frustrated with this one! Im looking to write a program to find the mean of the means of a variable. For example, I have multiple doses for each patient and want to calculate the patient dose means as well as the total dose mean using these patient means. A simple proc means calculates the patient means just fine. Can anyone suggest how to output these means to in turn run another proc means???? Any suggestions appreciated! thanks! you might simply use 2 proc means or summary with output datasets: proc summary nway data=in; class ....; v...

The meaning of the word meaning
A simple word which we use every day: meaning. My question is: can somebody explain the word in a fashion that he doesn't use an example? Another one: if what person we are is defined by our brain, then all that we are is confined to the neurons and the their connections. How does meaning develop? At which point does something *mean* something? To make my question clearer: A computer stores a lot of 1s and 0s and in one case it's a 'b' in another it's a number. The 0s and 1s haven't changed, only their meaning given by a human. To restate the question: when does the n...

what does this shell script command mean?
Hi, as_var=$as_ac_File; eval "test \"\${$as_var+set}\" = set"; Can anyone explain a little? especially the \"\${$as_var+set}\" = set. Thanks. Bin Bin Chen wrote: > as_var=$as_ac_File; eval "test \"\${$as_var+set}\" = set"; > > Can anyone explain a little? especially the \"\${$as_var+set}\" = set. If foo is a variable, then ${foo+123} will get substituted with "123" if the variable is set but with nothing if the variable is not set. So, if you want to know if foo is set, you could do this: test ${foo+set} = ...

Command Processor Commands
I've got a device, on it windows ce 5.0. On my flash I have an .exe which I want to delete via a batch file and copy a newer version. (SerialTest.exe already exists) I tried to copy it: copy "\Storage Card\Batchfiles\SerialTest.exe" "\ffsdisk" or copy /Y "\Storage Card\Batchfiles\SerialTest.exe" "\ffsdisk" it does not work. than I tried to rename it and delete the renamed and copy the new one: REN "\ffsdisk\SerialTest.exe" "SerialTest.txt" ATTRIB -A "\ffsdisk\SerialTest.txt" DEL /Q "\ffsdisk\SerialTest.txt&quo...

what does the notrunc in dd command mean
what does the notrunc in dd command mean? man dd ,I got notrunc means do not truncate the output files, but when should I use it and why should I use this under this circumstance. On 14 Mrz., 08:09, "CFAN" <eyeli...@gmail.com> wrote: > what does the notrunc in dd command mean? > man dd ,I got notrunc means do not truncate the output files, > but when should I use it Use it if you don't want the output file to be deleted but the respective bytes in the file just "typed over". Assume files abc that contains 10 dots and xyz that contains XYZ. With if=a...

Create command with command
Hello, is there any way that I can create a command that itself creates a command from a parameter, that does not start with "\"? To make things clearer, I give a short example: I want to have a command \createcommand so that \createcommand{test} creates a command \text. Is this possible? I tried \newcommand\createcommand[1]{\newcommand{\#1}} but that does not work since LaTeX consequently interpretes \# as a command. What I would need is an escape mechanism for the backslash. Thanks in advance, cheers, -- Tobias Langner e-mail: "see-signature" durch meinen Vornam...

command line commands
hi i downloaded the apple 2e applewin emulator from http://www.tomcharlesworth.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/ and it plays my friend's old .dsk poems admirably well. i'm curious where i might find documentation about what command line commands are available. just typing stuff at the emulator's command line, i see that 'list' will list the .dsk code. what other such commands are available? any documentation on this? long time ago i started out with dos and unix, so i do know some command line stuff, and am a programmer. thanks, ja Jim Andrews wrote: > i&#...

command for command summary
In response to AT$ a USR Sportster returns a summary of commands. A Motorola MODEMSURFR 28.8 EXT does not recognize AT$. Can the Motorola report a command summary? If so, how? Thanks, ... Peter Easthope shark at gulfnet.sd64 dot bc.ca ...

Re: Pipe search of command procedure log file containing pipe search command. command. command.
This is a multipart message in MIME format. --=_alternative 00567F36852574C0_= Content-Type: text/plain; charset="US-ASCII" FrankS <sapienza@noesys.com> wrote on 09/10/2008 10:25:54 AM: > On Sep 10, 9:40 am, norm.raph...@metso.com wrote: > > Is there a better way to do this? > > Why not just check the status condition after each CONVERT completes? When the IF-STATEMENT finds a dup, it takes all the collected error lines and e-mails them. Constructing something to store all that would be far more complex and/or require an output temporary file, which is ...

RE: Pipe search of command procedure log file containing pipe search command. command.command.
Hein, I must admit my ignorance here. =20 What is the "seg0_1 2" accomplishing in the convert statements below. I use segmented keys but have always been taught to write them in the = form "seg0_position <position>" and "seg0_length <lgth>", etc. =20 How does convert see the statement you presented? I cannot find = anything like this in the RMS Utilities Reference manual. TIA, Mike Farrell -----Original Message----- From: Hein RMS van den Heuvel [mailto:heinvandenheuvel@gmail.com]=20 Sent: Wednesday, September 10, 2008 10:11 PM To: Info-VAX@Mv...

Pause the Running Command ----- other Commands ----- Resume the previous stoped Command
Hi Everyone, I have a doubt, Can I "pause" the Running Command after 'x' seconds ,Run the other Commands and Resume the Previous(pause) command. Is it possible, if it is possible, give me an example . Thanks in Advance Cheers. On Jun 12, 6:01=A0am, bsrin <venki.ba...@gmail.com> wrote: > Hi Everyone, > =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 I have a doubt, Can I "pause" the Running Com= mand after > 'x' seconds ,Run the other Commands and =A0Resume the Previous(pause) > command. > =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0Is it p...

Please tell me what this command mean on chmod?
I am new to this. I am following instructions on setting up a program on unix. Can you please tell me what this mean: > chmod 777 . What is the period? Thank you. michael.mondala@ihomeowner.com said: >I am new to this. I am following instructions on setting up a program >on unix. Can you please tell me what this mean: >> chmod 777 . > >What is the period? Thank you. The current working directory. -- Wolf a.k.a. Juha Laiho Espoo, Finland (GC 3.0) GIT d- s+: a C++ ULSH++++$ P++@ L+++ E- W+$@ N++ !K w !O !M V PS(+) PE Y+ PGP(+) t- 5 !X R !tv b+ !DI D...

free command what does buffers/cache mean ?
The output of free gives some info on buffers and cache in the Real Memory line... what are these and how do they differ from real memory ? Basically I'm writing a script that tells when a machine has less than 1 gig of swap + ram + buffers left.. and sends an email to the sys admins. asdf wrote: > The output of free gives some info on buffers and cache in the Real > Memory line... what are these and how do they differ from real > memory ? IIRC, buffers are used by the kernel to buffer disk I/O, and the page cache contains recently used (but currently unused) memory pag...

Help with "mean" command
Hi All, The "mean" command is being real mean today. It looks simple enough, .... >> X = [0 1 2; 3 4 5] >> mean(X,1) ??? Subscript indices must either be real positive integers or logicals. >> mean(X,2) ??? Subscript indices must either be real positive integers or logicals. Thanks in advance FR FR wrote: >>>mean(X,1) > > ??? Subscript indices must either be real positive integers or > logicals. sounds like you have something named "mean" somewhere in your workspace or on your path. type "which mean -all". FR wrote: ...

What is the meaning of the command "tk_getOpenFile" ?
I found a command "Tcl_GetOpenFile(interp, string, write, checkUsage, filePtr)" but its name and parameters are not he same as I see here "tk_getOpenFile" being used. I could non find any "tk_getOpenFile" in the Tk On-line library . Nor this is a new Tcl/Tk command as there is no such proc or routine. There are 3 uses of this command whose syntax does not coincide: set track_info(file_name) [ tk_getOpenFile \ -filetypes $track_file_types \ -defaultextension ".PLOT" \ -initialdir "." \ -initialfile $track_info(file_name...