what this command mean ?

Hi,

I have see some commands but confused about there meaning
1)     chmod 4755 vpopmail/bin/vchkpw
I know r  4, w  2,x  1 ....so there are permission like 777,766,755 etc
possible
they are 3 number (777,766....etc)  because there are
owner+others+world
but why 4 word (4755)??

2) what it mean by
chown root.root vpopmal/bin/vchkpw

3) what is the job of "umask" ?

4)What is sticky bit  ?? Job of sticky bit ??

Please help me . I searched the web but still confused .

0
learnq (15)
11/21/2005 12:49:03 PM
comp.os.linux.misc 33753 articles. 0 followers. amosa69 (125) is leader. Post Follow

Hi whoever.

learnq wrote:
> I have see some commands but confused about there meaning
> 1)     chmod 4755 vpopmail/bin/vchkpw
> I know r  4, w  2,x  1 ....so there are permission like 777,766,755 etc
> possible
> they are 3 number (777,766....etc)  because there are
> owner+others+world
> but why 4 word (4755)??

man chmod
btw: it's not owner, others, world but owner, group, others
(what would be the difference between world and others?!)

> 2) what it mean by
> chown root.root vpopmal/bin/vchkpw

man chown

> 3) what is the job of "umask" ?

man umask

--
Please compose your messages as plaintext,
and do not send MS Office attachments:

learnq wrote:
> I have see some commands but confused about there meaning
> 1)     chmod 4755 vpopmail/bin/vchkpw
> I know r  4, w  2,x  1 ....so there are permission like 777,766,755 etc
> possible
> they are 3 number (777,766....etc)  because there are
> owner+others+world
> but why 4 word (4755)??

man chmod
btw: it's not owner, others, world but owner, group, others
(what would be the difference between world and others?!)

> 2) what it mean by
> chown root.root vpopmal/bin/vchkpw

man chown

> 3) what is the job of "umask" ?

man umask

> 4)What is sticky bit  ?? Job of sticky bit ??

man chmod

Benjamin
--
Please compose your messages as plaintext,
and do not send MS Office attachments:
  http://www.efn.no/html-bad.html
  http://www.goldmark.org/netrants/no-word/attach.html
0
gufler (7)
11/21/2005 1:07:01 PM
"learnq" <learnq@gmail.com> writes:

>Hi,

>I have see some commands but confused about there meaning
>1)     chmod 4755 vpopmail/bin/vchkpw
>I know r  4, w  2,x  1 ....so there are permission like 777,766,755 etc
>possible
>they are 3 number (777,766....etc)  because there are
>owner+others+world
>but why 4 word (4755)??

man 2 chmod

>2) what it mean by
>chown root.root vpopmal/bin/vchkpw

man chown

>3) what is the job of "umask" ?

man bash
/umask
the second occurence.

>4)What is sticky bit  ?? Job of sticky bit ??

For directories it forbits anyone but root or the owner of a file to remove
the file, even if that person has write permission to the directory.

>Please help me . I searched the web but still confused .

0
unruh-spam (2989)

which command list all software on Linux OS?

Take command of your Linux commands
http://searchenterpriselinux.techtarget.com/qna/0,289202,sid39_gci958417,00.html >What don't Windows admins know about managing Linux? >Barrett: That the command line is your friend, not to be feared. Some >Windows admins feel lost without a familiar GUI tool. Linux has a steep >learning curve but once you're up to it, it's hard to look back. And once >you are comfortable with the command-line tools and textual configuration >files, you can script your system administration tasks very effectively. >Scripting is so much more powerful on Linux, for sysadmin task...

Linux, Linux, Linux

value of computer.os.linux.misc in 2007
value of compute in 2007 http://www.bidvertiser.com/ http://bigchurch.com/go/g906803-pmem http://indianfriendfinder.com/go/g906803-pmem ...

remote command from OS 5.4 to linux system
Hi. I need to run some command from green screens on linux system with iSeriesAccess installed. What shall I use to do it? Regards, Tomasz On May 15, 12:49=A0pm, tomasz <tom...@nospam.com> wrote: > Hi. > > I need to run some command from green screens on linux system with > iSeriesAccess installed. > > What shall I use to do it? > > Regards, > Tomasz I take it you have a linux box with a user logged onto the as400 which should then start a command on the linux box? Client access on windows allows use of STRPCO followed by STRPCCMD, & I imagine IBM replicated this for linux. Also client access offers incoming remote command options which are started from the as400 via RUNRMTCMD, & again I expect IBM to have duplicated this on linux, but the standard linux rexec might work just as well. Beyond that the possibilities are endless, telnet? ftp? web? HTH Jonathan. il 15/05/2008 13.49, Scrive tomasz 40359816: > Hi. > > I need to run some command from green screens on linux system with > iSeriesAccess installed. > > What shall I use to do it? start rexecd and use RUNRMTCMD, with RMTLOCNAME('hostname' *IP) parameter, as rexec client on iseries side. Be aware the you should quote user and password to mach case and be able to insert special characters as needed on linux side, e.g. RMTUSER('linux-user@tux') RMTPWD('password') -- Dr.Ugo Gagliardelli,Modena,ItalyCertifiedUindoscrasherA�ejoAl...

New 2008 coming Computer.os.linux.misc
sefhwl iefh http://www.freewebs.com/thuiss/ http://indianfriendfinder.com/go/g906725-pmem ...

Can SAS Translate between different OS? Using DOS Commands on Linux
Dear Group. After changing from SAS on a Windows Desktop to SAS/Unix on a Linux Server someone accidently copied old code in a new programm. In this code a CALL SYSTEM was used to send a command to DOS like this: data _null_; call system("dir /B /N /S &fullpath/*.sas7bdat > &fullpath/shufflefiles.txt"); run; Now the utterly puzzeling happend: This even worked when submitted from Enterprise Guide to SAS/UNIX on a Linux OS. Concerning a DIR this is not too confusing. But the options /B /N /S should confuse the Linux system as they do when entered directly at the terminal...

Getting started with Linux and command line commands
Getting started with Linux and command line commands ---------------------------------------------------- http://www.extremetech.com/computing/128247-getting-started-with-linux-commands Helps the gradual user to gradually get into Linux. Also lots of tips the Burson-Marstelar employees who are bound to struggle with Linux despite their incessant bleating because they don't know their Linux and would dearly love to learn. On Wed, 09 May 2012 19:09:58 +0100, 7 wrote: > Getting started with Linux and command line commands > ---------------------------------------------------- The...

No Problem'o, DooFuS. I can blame it all on the Linux Mint TEXT size being = too small on my 19 inch monitor. As Moi was saying... I tried two more additional downloads of elementary OS Linux. Both of them= likewise failed. While they could have been discriminating against Moi for his ZERO contribu= tion, I will be damned if I am going to PAY GOOD money for something when t= here is no guarantee that the stupid DOWNLOAD wont fail, JUST TO FIND OUT t= hat it WONT work at all on my computer hardware, let alone whether OR NOT i= t will actually do what is being claimed. Mo...

[News] Mobile Linux Runs Palm OS Applications; New 3G Linux Phones; Open Linux Phone Made More Attractive
Mobile Linux running Palm OS apps demoed ,----[ Quote ] | Access hopes ALP and its Eclipse-based Developer Suite will | provide a long-awaited forward migration path for the many | thousands of "Garnet OS" (recently renamed from "Palm OS") | applications developed throughout the decades since "Palm-Pilot" | first became a household word, in the 1980s. `---- http://www.linuxdevices.com/news/NS2968683379.html Linux powers pair of 3G dual-mode phones ,----[ Quote ] | MontaVista says its device-oriented Linux operating system was | used in two new 3G business sma...

[News] [Linux] Linux Has Advantage in the Mobile OS World
How Linux morphed from a server to a mobile OS ,----[ Quote ] | When evaluating Linux as a possible OS candidate, it is important to | remember that the Linux "model" for mobile devices is horizontal. That | is, Linux is not presented as a vertically integrated top to bottom | solution for a mobile device supplied by one vendor. | | It's a sharp contrast to the other OS suppliers such as Microsoft | with Windows Mobile, Symbian and PalmSource. These suppliers | support a highly integrated software stack, incorporating not | only an OS but also extensive middleware and applicati...

[News] [Linux] Walkthroughs of Sidux (Linux) and Nexenta OS
Nexenta OS Alpha 7 Screenshot Tour ,----[ Quote ] | Nexenta OS (elatte) Alpha 7 is now available. Release Highlights: | OpenSolaris & NWS build 61 (non-debug); installer - new | partitioning wizard, installer log (via F3), usabilityf | ixes, built-in driver availability detection... `---- http://osdir.com/Article9845.phtml sidux 2007-02 Preview 1 Screenshot Tour ,----[ Quote ] | What's on the menu: Debian sid, up to date as of 2007-05-13; kernel | 2.6.21.1 (SMP, voluntary preemption, mac80211); minimal, but fully | functional KDE 3.5.6 (en + de); completely overhauled early boot | ...

ROX Linux and ROX on OS X and arm linux
Hi I've just just done some searches on Google for ROX linux, and ROX on other platforms. I've not managed to find anything. Is ROX available for OS X? Is ROX available for Acorn\Iyonix Arm linux? Did ROX Linux ever come to anything? I was a member of the mailing list a while ago, it started off interesting and then seemed to go off on a tangent then it all went quiet. It seemed like an excellent idea, a linux distro structured like RISC OS. It would have been an ideal compliment to a RISC OS system, same UI but different set of applications (probably not quite so consiste...

does pc linux or ppc linux require command line?
Got tired of command line interface with MS-DOS. Does linus require a lot of command line setup or has it developed to the point where it can be installed and enjoyed without a lot of tinkering with setup screens or command line work? ripi wrote: >Does linus require a lot of command line setup or has it developed to >the point where it can be installed and enjoyed without a lot of >tinkering with setup screens or command line work? Why not download a LiveCD and see for yourself, troll? chrisv wrote this copyrighted missive and expects royalties: > ripi wrote: ...

OT: linux, FC5 (having trouble with alt.os.linux)
I apologize profusely for posting this topic to this newsgroup but either I'm having trouble with alt.os.linux (going on a few days now) or it's having trouble and I don't know which it is (maybe some one else knows). I figured someone here would be knowledgeable enough to help me and/or let me know if my posting problems are mine or the newsgroups (BTW, I've posted from my work and home without luck but they may both use the same ISP). Well, if you've read this far...here's my (attempted?) post to the other group: Topic: shutdown broadcast not showing up for us...

Regina-REXX/Linux: processing output from Linux Commands
I'm using more and more REXX in my Linux work (must be a result of old VM and OS/2 habits...). I frequently want to use Linux commands and then process the output within the REXX 'environment'. For example, I do a command, then grep the result and pipe the output (stdout) of grep to ????? I've been redirecting the stdout to a file and then reading the file into REXX variables. I'd really like to be able to redirect the stdout directly into a stem variable, or something such... Any suggestions? Thanks Mike In comp.lang.rexx Mike H wrote: > I'm using mor...

The Ten Commandments for Linux Distributions. (What Linux is REALLY like!)
Another example of how lame Linux is. This poor guy could easily do all that he listed with one copy of Windows XP yet he needs 5 or more Linux distributions to do the same. The problem with Linux is the old distribution shuffle that is a necessary evil because no distribution can do all that this guy asks, and he isn't asking much. He is wasting so much time switching Linux distributions it's a wonder he has time to do anything else. But that's what Linux is about, wasting time. Linux is free if you don't value your time. http://www.yoper.com/forum2/index.php?showtopic=...

What does this command mean?
var=`less 1.txt` fgrep "something" < <(echo "$var") Does anybody know what is the first "<"? I think the second "<" is redirection. Thanks. webinfinite@gmail.com wrote: > var=`less 1.txt` > fgrep "something" < <(echo "$var") > > > Does anybody know what is the first "<"? I think the second "<" is > redirection. > > Thanks. It seems redundant.... On Oct 23, 7:45=A0am, "webinfin...@gmail.com" <webinfin...@gmail.com> wrote: > var=3D`less 1.txt`...

MEANING OF SOME COMMANDS
Please can some one give me the meaning of the following commands Foo = A{1} A{end+1} = B A{end} = C "Samuel Maliva" <malivasamuel@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:n8r94j$ger$1@newscl01ah.mathworks.com... > Please can some one give me the meaning of the following commands > > Foo = A{1} > A{end+1} = B > A{end} = C They are operating on the cell array A. http://www.mathworks.com/help/matlab/cell-arrays.html?s_tid=srchtitle http://www.mathworks.com/videos/introducing-structures-and-cell-arrays-68992.html?s_tid=srchtitle http://www.math...

Q:What is the meaning of several commands in output of disasemble command of gdb?
Hi, all This is the output of disasemble command of gdb. I want to know meaning of stw, copy, ldi, ldo......and etc where is the reference or manual that covers these machine instructions ? HP 11i (11.11) (gdb) disass Dump of assembler code for function joj_dbstatement_init: 0xc162d0e0 <joj_dbstatement_init>: stw %rp,-0x14(%sp) 0xc162d0e4 <joj_dbstatement_init+4>: stw,ma %r3,0x40(%sp) 0xc162d0e8 <joj_dbstatement_init+8>: stw %r4,-0x3c(%sp) 0xc162d0ec <joj_dbstatement_init+12>: copy %r26,%r4 0xc162d0f0 <joj_dbstatement_init+16>: stw %r19,-0x20(%sp...

Calculate an image mean withouth the "mean" command
Hi at all, first, sorry for the bad english... i have to calculate the mean of an image without using the command "mean". with mean i resolve in this way: [code]a=imread('x.JPG'); [M,N]=size(a); %mask 5x5 for i=1:M-4 for j=1:N-4 c = a(i : i+4 , j : j+4); media5(i,j)=mean( c ( : ) ); end; end;[/code] the teacher says that shoul be used more for-cycle, but i have no idea about how implement it. Thanks in advance ...

Equivalent command in AIX to "top" command in Linux?
Hi all, I wondered if there is an equivalent command in AIX to the "top" command in Linux. "top provides an ongoing look at processor activity in real time. It displays a listing of the most CPU-intensive tasks on the system, and can provide an interactive interface for manipulating processes. It can sort the tasks by CPU usage, memory usage and runtime." Thanks, James James wrote: > Hi all, > > I wondered if there is an equivalent command in AIX to the "top" > command in Linux. > > "top provides an ongoing look at processor activity...

What is the command/Is there a command...
to run a proc stored in a file other than the MD? If it is a Data Basic (Pick Basic) or Flash basic program at TCL you enter "run [filename][programname]" and the program executes. What if the "program" is a proc? Is there a tcl command that passes the tcl level excution command to another file? I am running a VB program and using the TclCommand object to run a tcl command which is actually a proc. the proc is stored in a file named "procs" Therefore, to run a proc I have to have an item in the MD thus: md,example 001 pq 002 [procs exa...

Web resources about - what this command mean ? - comp.os.linux.misc

Command - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

PSA: You can now type ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ in Google Hangouts with an easy slash command
Sage LaTorra, a Test Engineer at Google, just told the world about an awesome little Easter egg he added to Google Hangouts. He's one to often ...

How to start using Google app voice commands to make your life easier
... last time I used Siri for anything but to hear it beatbox (which is tragically awful), but as CNET points out in a new video, the voice commands ...

Watch US-led coalition airstrikes obliterate an ISIS command center
Recently declassified footage from the Combined Joint Task Force's Operation Inherent Resolve shows coalition forces destroying an ISIS command ...

Rescue puppy flashes "cheesy" grin on command
Video of American Staffordshire Terrier puppy smiling after being told to "Say Cheese" goes viral

Space graffiti discovered inside Apollo 11 command module
Workers at the Smithsonian National Air and Space Museum uncover astronauts' scribbles that haven't been seen for 40 years.

Inside tomorrow's mobile drone command post
... for serious work. But how to monitor and control them? The Trident is a converted Mercedes-Benz van that can act as a complete mobile command ...

First Females Start Applying To Join Marine Special Operations Command
'MARSOC remains committed to sustaining and improving our combat effectiveness'

Abbreviated pundit roundup: Cruz and Rubio rumble at GOP debate, but Trump still commands attention
We begin today’s roundup with Josh Voorhees at Slate who catalogues Ted Cruz's whining and awkward jokes during the debate (with video): Say ...

Barbie's new Dreamhouse goes full IoT with voice commands
Last year, Mattel debuted its WiFi-enabled Hello Barbie to make playtime a bit more interactive. A connected doll needs an internet-friendly ...