what this command mean ?

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

Hi,

I have see some commands but confused about there meaning
1)     chmod 4755 vpopmail/bin/vchkpw
I know r  4, w  2,x  1 ....so there are permission like 777,766,755 etc
possible
they are 3 number (777,766....etc)  because there are
owner+others+world
but why 4 word (4755)??

2) what it mean by
chown root.root vpopmal/bin/vchkpw

3) what is the job of "umask" ?

4)What is sticky bit  ?? Job of sticky bit ??

Please help me . I searched the web but still confused .

0
Reply learnq (15) 11/21/2005 12:49:03 PM

See related articles to this posting

Hi whoever.

learnq wrote:
> I have see some commands but confused about there meaning
> 1)     chmod 4755 vpopmail/bin/vchkpw
> I know r  4, w  2,x  1 ....so there are permission like 777,766,755 etc
> possible
> they are 3 number (777,766....etc)  because there are
> owner+others+world
> but why 4 word (4755)??

man chmod
btw: it's not owner, others, world but owner, group, others
(what would be the difference between world and others?!)

> 2) what it mean by
> chown root.root vpopmal/bin/vchkpw

man chown

> 3) what is the job of "umask" ?

man umask

--
Please compose your messages as plaintext,
and do not send MS Office attachments:

Hi whoever.

learnq wrote:
> I have see some commands but confused about there meaning
> 1)     chmod 4755 vpopmail/bin/vchkpw
> I know r  4, w  2,x  1 ....so there are permission like 777,766,755 etc
> possible
> they are 3 number (777,766....etc)  because there are
> owner+others+world
> but why 4 word (4755)??

man chmod
btw: it's not owner, others, world but owner, group, others
(what would be the difference between world and others?!)

> 2) what it mean by
> chown root.root vpopmal/bin/vchkpw

man chown

> 3) what is the job of "umask" ?

man umask

> 4)What is sticky bit  ?? Job of sticky bit ??

man chmod

Benjamin
--
Please compose your messages as plaintext,
and do not send MS Office attachments:
  http://www.efn.no/html-bad.html
  http://www.goldmark.org/netrants/no-word/attach.html
0
Reply gufler (7) 11/21/2005 1:07:01 PM

"learnq" <learnq@gmail.com> writes:

>Hi,

>I have see some commands but confused about there meaning
>1)     chmod 4755 vpopmail/bin/vchkpw
>I know r  4, w  2,x  1 ....so there are permission like 777,766,755 etc
>possible
>they are 3 number (777,766....etc)  because there are
>owner+others+world
>but why 4 word (4755)??

man 2 chmod

>2) what it mean by
>chown root.root vpopmal/bin/vchkpw

man chown

>3) what is the job of "umask" ?

man bash
/umask
the second occurence.

>4)What is sticky bit  ?? Job of sticky bit ??

For directories it forbits anyone but root or the owner of a file to remove
the file, even if that person has write permission to the directory.

>Please help me . I searched the web but still confused .

0
Reply unruh-spam (2989) 11/21/2005 2:54:58 PM
comp.os.linux.misc 33315 articles. 19 followers. Post

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

Q:What is the meaning of several commands in output of disasemble command of gdb?
Hi, all This is the output of disasemble command of gdb. I want to know meaning of stw, copy, ldi, ldo......and etc where is the reference or manual that covers these machine instructions ? HP 11i (11.11) (gdb) disass Dump of assembler code for function joj_dbstatement_init: 0xc162d0e0 <joj_dbstatement_init>: stw %rp,-0x14(%sp) 0xc162d0e4 <joj_dbstatement_init+4>: stw,ma %r3,0x40(%sp) 0xc162d0e8 <joj_dbstatement_init+8>: stw %r4,-0x3c(%sp) 0xc162d0ec <joj_dbstatement_init+12>: copy %r26,%r4 0xc162d0f0 <joj_dbstatement_init+16>: stw %r19,-0x20(%sp...

What does this command mean?
var=`less 1.txt` fgrep "something" < <(echo "$var") Does anybody know what is the first "<"? I think the second "<" is redirection. Thanks. webinfinite@gmail.com wrote: > var=`less 1.txt` > fgrep "something" < <(echo "$var") > > > Does anybody know what is the first "<"? I think the second "<" is > redirection. > > Thanks. It seems redundant.... On Oct 23, 7:45=A0am, "webinfin...@gmail.com" <webinfin...@gmail.com> wrote: > var=3D`less 1.txt`...

Q:What is the meaning of several commands in output of disasemble command of gdb?
Hi, all This is the output of disasemble command of gdb. I want to know meaning of stw, copy, ldi, ldo......and etc where is the reference or manual that covers these machine instructions ? HP 11i (11.11) (gdb) disass Dump of assembler code for function joj_dbstatement_init: 0xc162d0e0 <joj_dbstatement_init>: stw %rp,-0x14(%sp) 0xc162d0e4 <joj_dbstatement_init+4>: stw,ma %r3,0x40(%sp) 0xc162d0e8 <joj_dbstatement_init+8>: stw %r4,-0x3c(%sp) 0xc162d0ec <joj_dbstatement_init+12>: copy %r26,%r4 0xc162d0f0 <joj_dbstatement_init+16>: stw %r19,-0x20(%sp...

What do we mean by this commands
Hello, What do we mean by the SECOND command? >> A=1:4 >> A(5:10)=10:5:35 Thanks. Got it. It means, add the elements in "10:5:35" starting from element "5" and ending with element "10" in the vector "A". Thank you though. ...

Calculate an image mean withouth the "mean" command
Hi at all, first, sorry for the bad english... i have to calculate the mean of an image without using the command "mean". with mean i resolve in this way: [code]a=imread('x.JPG'); [M,N]=size(a); %mask 5x5 for i=1:M-4 for j=1:N-4 c = a(i : i+4 , j : j+4); media5(i,j)=mean( c ( : ) ); end; end;[/code] the teacher says that shoul be used more for-cycle, but i have no idea about how implement it. Thanks in advance ...

Difficult problem: renaming existing commands and changing meaning of existing command.
I hope someone will be able to help me with this. I have many latex files in which I used definition macros for typing shortcuts. Some of them are defined with \renewcommand, so that the original meaning of those commands are not available any more. Is there some way I could use the original symbols the commands stood for? ======================================================================= Here's an example--- I use \o for \omega, and have done so for several years without realizing I would be in trouble one day. Originally, I used \def \o{\omega}, and at some point changed to ...

what does this shell script command mean?
Hi, as_var=$as_ac_File; eval "test \"\${$as_var+set}\" = set"; Can anyone explain a little? especially the \"\${$as_var+set}\" = set. Thanks. Bin Bin Chen wrote: > as_var=$as_ac_File; eval "test \"\${$as_var+set}\" = set"; > > Can anyone explain a little? especially the \"\${$as_var+set}\" = set. If foo is a variable, then ${foo+123} will get substituted with "123" if the variable is set but with nothing if the variable is not set. So, if you want to know if foo is set, you could do this: test ${foo+set} = ...

what does the notrunc in dd command mean
what does the notrunc in dd command mean? man dd ,I got notrunc means do not truncate the output files, but when should I use it and why should I use this under this circumstance. On 14 Mrz., 08:09, "CFAN" <eyeli...@gmail.com> wrote: > what does the notrunc in dd command mean? > man dd ,I got notrunc means do not truncate the output files, > but when should I use it Use it if you don't want the output file to be deleted but the respective bytes in the file just "typed over". Assume files abc that contains 10 dots and xyz that contains XYZ. With if=a...

Please tell me what this command mean on chmod?
I am new to this. I am following instructions on setting up a program on unix. Can you please tell me what this mean: > chmod 777 . What is the period? Thank you. michael.mondala@ihomeowner.com said: >I am new to this. I am following instructions on setting up a program >on unix. Can you please tell me what this mean: >> chmod 777 . > >What is the period? Thank you. The current working directory. -- Wolf a.k.a. Juha Laiho Espoo, Finland (GC 3.0) GIT d- s+: a C++ ULSH++++$ P++@ L+++ E- W+$@ N++ !K w !O !M V PS(+) PE Y+ PGP(+) t- 5 !X R !tv b+ !DI D...

free command what does buffers/cache mean ?
The output of free gives some info on buffers and cache in the Real Memory line... what are these and how do they differ from real memory ? Basically I'm writing a script that tells when a machine has less than 1 gig of swap + ram + buffers left.. and sends an email to the sys admins. asdf wrote: > The output of free gives some info on buffers and cache in the Real > Memory line... what are these and how do they differ from real > memory ? IIRC, buffers are used by the kernel to buffer disk I/O, and the page cache contains recently used (but currently unused) memory pag...

Help with "mean" command
Hi All, The "mean" command is being real mean today. It looks simple enough, .... >> X = [0 1 2; 3 4 5] >> mean(X,1) ??? Subscript indices must either be real positive integers or logicals. >> mean(X,2) ??? Subscript indices must either be real positive integers or logicals. Thanks in advance FR FR wrote: >>>mean(X,1) > > ??? Subscript indices must either be real positive integers or > logicals. sounds like you have something named "mean" somewhere in your workspace or on your path. type "which mean -all". FR wrote: ...

What is the meaning of the command "tk_getOpenFile" ?
I found a command "Tcl_GetOpenFile(interp, string, write, checkUsage, filePtr)" but its name and parameters are not he same as I see here "tk_getOpenFile" being used. I could non find any "tk_getOpenFile" in the Tk On-line library . Nor this is a new Tcl/Tk command as there is no such proc or routine. There are 3 uses of this command whose syntax does not coincide: set track_info(file_name) [ tk_getOpenFile \ -filetypes $track_file_types \ -defaultextension ".PLOT" \ -initialdir "." \ -initialfile $track_info(file_name...

The meaning of errorlevels from DOS move command
I am trying to find out what the errorlevels from the DOS move command mean. In particular, what does errorlevel 1 mean? Any URLs or source references would be much appreciated. <john_humanski@picis.com> wrote in message > I am trying to find out what the errorlevels from the DOS move command > mean. In particular, what does errorlevel 1 mean? Any URLs or source > references would be much appreciated. The exact syntax and ERRORLEVELs returned by MOVE vary with version. For Windows 95/98/ME MOVE version, our Errorlevel list gives the following MOVE conditions/er...

Meaning of errorlevels for DOS move command
I am trying to find a list of the errorlevels returned by the move command and their respective meanings. In particular, what does errorlevel 1 mean? Could someone provide a list or a URL that describes them? On 13 Jul 2005 09:47:27 -0700, "john_humanski@picis.com" <john_humanski@picis.com> wrote: >I am trying to find a list of the errorlevels returned by the move >command and their respective meanings. In particular, what does >errorlevel 1 mean? Could someone provide a list or a URL that >describes them? If I remember correctly, 1 means it fai...

Auto-Completion in TextMate
Hello folks, Auto completion (option + escape) does not work for me in TextMate, I tried to debug it to find the problem, it generate a ruby command which I do not understand, may you please help me understand it: "ruby" -I "/Applications/TextMate.app/Contents/SharedSupport/Bundles/Ruby.tmbundle/Support/vendor/rcodetools/lib" -- "/Applications/TextMate.app/Contents/SharedSupport/Bundles/Ruby.tmbundle/Support/vendor/rcodetools/bin/rct-complete" -r "/Users/dunnil/work/letters/config/environment.rb" --line=4 --column=5 2> /dev/null When I run it in Ba...

proc mixed
Using proc mixed, I wish to estimate mean differences between two treatment groups in a longitudinal model. The model, basically, is a repeated measures ANCOVA, with: * percent change from baseline as the dependent variable, * treatment condition and visit as independent variables, and * baseline as a covariate. The 'estimate' command is used to output the desired estimated difference between treament groups 2 and 3 at the last (third) visit period. My question is very simple: the program specs I'm following say that, in order to estimate the desired mean difference, one must ...

What does the DLY mean in a "show interface" command?
The subject says it all - what the heck DOES that mean, anyway? I'm assuming it means "delay"... but I don't want a delay in my traffic at all! ;-) Can anyone clue me in on this issue? Andy You are correct... It means Delay. It does NOT mean that the interface introduces N usec of delay. It's a number that's used by routing protocols in the calculation of routes. - AND not all routing protocols use Delay as a metric. You might do some research on your specific routing protocol to see how routes are calculated. J.Cottingim ...

You mean ya' gotta use the command line!!?
Holy crap! I just read two or three pages about customizing ubuntu live cd's and adding flash 9 and other cutting edge ubuntu exotica. But wait just a dang minute, here! Ya' gotta use the much dreaded command line, that evil lurking thingie that ubuntu is supposed to save all them tender innocent windoze converts from. Yep, cusomization included such arcane cryptic steps like mkdir, cd, and the much feared sudo mount. Horrors. We've been deceived. Just what kinda no-typing hype is ubuntu trying to hand us? The next thing ya know they'll be demanding ubuntu users must kno...

Did a phpinfo. What does this "Configure Command" output mean?
I got the output listed below from phpinfo. I am running on GoDaddy. If I wanted to change the configuration of my PHP, where would i find this "configure" command? Is it documented? Configure Command './configure' '--with-cgi' '--enable-fastcgi' '--with-config-file- path=/web/conf' '--with-gd' '--with-xml' '--with-gettext' '--with-zlib- dir=/usr/src/zlib' '--disable-posix' '--with-jpeg-dir=../jpeg-6b' '-- enable-gd-native-ttf' '--enable-ftp' '--with-freetype-dir=/usr' '--...

Re: proc mixed
I may be missing something here, but my thought is, since there is no baseline by treatment interaction, it doesn't matter what the level of baseline is, the modeled difference in the treatments is the same over the entire range. Anyone care to disagree? I would suggest taking the model estimates and seeing if what I say is true. If it is, there is an option to do lsmeans at some level of a covariate. However, if the treatment differences change at the different levels of the baseline, that suggests to me you should have a baseline by trt interaction term. Warren Schlechte -...

[News] The Reason Why The Command Line Means Power, Not Legacy
Geek to Live: The command line comeback ,----[ Quote ] | The advent of the Graphical User Interface (GUI) forever | revolutionized personal computing. A windowed system with point | and click icons made computers usable for anyone who couldn't deal | with a black screen and a prompt waiting for arcane textual commands. | But in recent years, this enormous interface change is coming full | circle. Amongst power users - and more and more, regular Joe's - the | command line is making a comeback in modern web and desktop | applications. `---- http://www.lifehacker.com/software/command-li...

mtio question:the meaningmtio question: the meaning of status in the mt command
I am trying to get the status of a tape drive. I would like to use something that returns the same information as the command mt status. I saw ioctl and the use of the structure mtget to get the status of the tape, but when i check the struct member mt_dsreg it's always 0 whether the tape is online or offline. Now, i don't know if the status that i refer to is the same as the one used in the mt_dsreg field. I probably assumed incorrectly that they were Does anyone know what is meant by status in this struct ? Are there any other functions or structs i can use for this or is there somet...

Re: proc mixed
John, The structure of the estimate statement you entered doesn't seem to match the description you give it (without seeing the data itself, I assume 3 groups 1,2,3 and 3 visits also 1,2 3?). The value computed by the ESTIMATE statement does depend on the value of the baseline mean, and because of how you position trt and visit in the CLASS statement it takes 1/2 the mean of trt 100 and 1/2 the mean of trt 200 (at the first visit), not the difference between them. estimate 'TRT 100 vs TRT 200' at Last Visit' baseline <mean value> trt*visi...

What's the meaning of IID=0 in output of db2pd command
In output of comand "db2pd -d <dbname> -tcbstats index", what's the meaning of IID=0? Please advise. Thanks so much. James > In output of comand "db2pd -d <dbname> -tcbstats index", what's the > meaning of IID=0? Please advise. Thanks so much. It's the index ID (Column IID from sysibm.sysindexes). Regards, Udo -- Speedgain for DB2 - The DB2 Monitor http://www.itgain.de/en/produkte/speedgain.html On Jul 10, 10:11 pm, Udo <udo.we...@gmail.com> wrote: > > In output of comand "db2pd -d <dbname> -tcbs...