what this command mean ?

Hi,

I have see some commands but confused about there meaning
1)     chmod 4755 vpopmail/bin/vchkpw
I know r  4, w  2,x  1 ....so there are permission like 777,766,755 etc
possible
they are 3 number (777,766....etc)  because there are
owner+others+world
but why 4 word (4755)??

2) what it mean by
chown root.root vpopmal/bin/vchkpw

3) what is the job of "umask" ?

4)What is sticky bit  ?? Job of sticky bit ??

Please help me . I searched the web but still confused .

0
learnq (15)
11/21/2005 12:49:03 PM
comp.os.linux.misc 33632 articles. 0 followers. amosa69 (125) is leader. Post Follow

Hi whoever.

learnq wrote:
> I have see some commands but confused about there meaning
> 1)     chmod 4755 vpopmail/bin/vchkpw
> I know r  4, w  2,x  1 ....so there are permission like 777,766,755 etc
> possible
> they are 3 number (777,766....etc)  because there are
> owner+others+world
> but why 4 word (4755)??

man chmod
btw: it's not owner, others, world but owner, group, others
(what would be the difference between world and others?!)

> 2) what it mean by
> chown root.root vpopmal/bin/vchkpw

man chown

> 3) what is the job of "umask" ?

man umask

--
Please compose your messages as plaintext,
and do not send MS Office attachments:

learnq wrote:
> I have see some commands but confused about there meaning
> 1)     chmod 4755 vpopmail/bin/vchkpw
> I know r  4, w  2,x  1 ....so there are permission like 777,766,755 etc
> possible
> they are 3 number (777,766....etc)  because there are
> owner+others+world
> but why 4 word (4755)??

man chmod
btw: it's not owner, others, world but owner, group, others
(what would be the difference between world and others?!)

> 2) what it mean by
> chown root.root vpopmal/bin/vchkpw

man chown

> 3) what is the job of "umask" ?

man umask

> 4)What is sticky bit  ?? Job of sticky bit ??

man chmod

Benjamin
--
Please compose your messages as plaintext,
and do not send MS Office attachments:
  http://www.efn.no/html-bad.html
  http://www.goldmark.org/netrants/no-word/attach.html
0
gufler (7)
11/21/2005 1:07:01 PM
"learnq" <learnq@gmail.com> writes:

>Hi,

>I have see some commands but confused about there meaning
>1)     chmod 4755 vpopmail/bin/vchkpw
>I know r  4, w  2,x  1 ....so there are permission like 777,766,755 etc
>possible
>they are 3 number (777,766....etc)  because there are
>owner+others+world
>but why 4 word (4755)??

man 2 chmod

>2) what it mean by
>chown root.root vpopmal/bin/vchkpw

man chown

>3) what is the job of "umask" ?

man bash
/umask
the second occurence.

>4)What is sticky bit  ?? Job of sticky bit ??

For directories it forbits anyone but root or the owner of a file to remove
the file, even if that person has write permission to the directory.

>Please help me . I searched the web but still confused .

0
unruh-spam (2989)

command
Hi Freinds In the following command what does '&1' means ? which sar | grep -s "no sar in" > /dev/null 2>&1 Thanks On Oct 23, 4:36=A0pm, surajkum...@gmail.com wrote: > Hi Freinds > > In the following command what does '&1' means ? > > which sar | grep -s "no sar in" > /dev/null 2>&1 > > Thanks file handle / descriptor 1....man sh for more info On Thu, 23 Oct 2008 16:36:27 -0400, <surajkumar1@gmail.com> wrote: > In the following command what does '&1' means ? > which sar | grep...

RE: Oracle/SQL Server and Informix Equivalent Command
UNLOAD TO '/home/datadump/tablename.dmp' SELECT cField1, '~', cField2, (...) FROM sourcetable ?!! -----Original Message----- From: Ray M [mailto:messier@nichewareinc.com] Sent: Thursday, July 17, 2003 09:11 To: informix-list@iiug.org Subject: Oracle/SQL Server and Informix Equivalent Command I am very familiar with both SQL Server and Oracle and have been using them for years. But, now I am on a job where I have to do some work with Informix (the accounting system is Prelude, which runs on UniData, which apparently runs Informix). I am having trouble g...

passing args to matlab from command prompt
I want to start matlab from the command prompt so that I can run it on the cluster. I already found out how to do this: matlab -nojvm -nosplash -display null < cluster_test.m However, I'm unable to pass any arguments to this program. I found out that you can't pass args to a script, is that true? If I declare cluster_test as a function I still get an error that the variable is undefined: Redstone[117] pushkar$ matlab -nojvm -nosplash -display null < cluster_test.m 6 < M A T L A B > Copyright 1984-2003 The MathWorks, I...

WinMain() Command Line
Hi, I've looked and looked, but I can't find how to retrieve a command line (other than the program path) in WinMain(). The command line is like "C:\folder\myapp.exe /a: my command line" but when I use GetCommandLine() to retrieve it I only get the path part of the string. I would be more than happy to be pointed to an online resource, or a simple example. TIA, Vince On Apr 10, 9:23=A0pm, "Vince Morgan" <vinharAtHereoptusnet.com.au> wrote: > Hi, > =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 I've looked and looked, but I can't find how to retrieve...

Bang command
Recently I have found the need to call a program from within my script. I am calling a batch file that directs an exe to an input file and consequently an output file. After a brief search via help I found the ! command. My problem is this, each call to this !mybatch.bat results in the contents of my batch file to appear in the command window. Is there anyway to suppress this output? "Baalzamon" wrote in message <j44n9p$42k$1@newscl01ah.mathworks.com>... > Recently I have found the need to call a program from within my script. > > I am calling a batch file tha...

Command "show run" does not show all interfaces
Hello, I have configured the following interfaces on my cisco 2504 (IOS 11.2) : - Async1 (up and working) - TokenRing0 (up and working) Both serial interfaces and BRI0 are not configured and down. When I enter the command "show run" only the interfaces Serial1 and Serial2 are shown. I am also missing the configured entries for con, vty and aux. Any ideas why ? Thanks for your help in advance. Peter "Peter Jonas" <pjonas@t-online.de> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:bt1m8n$ub5$01$1@news.t-online.com... > When I enter the command "show run" only the int...

How to convert link encoded by javascript command to the actual url?
Suppose I see a webpage on a website that has the following link encoded by javascript, I want to user perl to parse such webpage and convert it to the actual url. Could you please let me know what package I should use? I thought that HTML package may not handle this. But please let me know if I'm wrong. <a herf="javascript:some_command_return_a_url();">Link</a> On 2010-07-10 17:29, Peng Yu <pengyu.ut@gmail.com> wrote: > Suppose I see a webpage on a website that has the following link > encoded by javascript, I want to user perl to parse such webp...

Seperating commands by semicolon problem on command line
Hello Everyone, I am behind a Sun Solaris 10 environment. I am desperately trying to execute 2 commands seperated by a semicolon in one line and I get errors: >setenv LD_LIBRARY_PATH "/xxx/yyy/zzz/scripts/tools/SMClibgcc/reloc"; statsvar stats.config 2000 6 ../ymftables/human -sort sequence.fas The shell is executing the shell tool "sort" and brings me errors but the parameter -sort is correct. sort: illegal option -- g sort: illegal option -- g usage: sort [-cmu] [-o output] [-T directory] [-S mem] [-z recsz] [-dfiMnr] [-b] [-t char] [-k keydef] [+pos1 [-pos...

Converting EDITSigma command from 48SX to 48GX
Despite the widespread improvements the 48GX brought over the 48SX, there are a couple small features from the 48SX that were left out. Among them, the EDITSigma command, found in the STAT menu. It basically just brings you to the Matrix Writer, editing whatever the current stat matrix happens to be, whether it's a matrix, or the name of another matrix that's been stored in SigmaDAT. Nothing fancy, but quite handy. So I started with the usual approach: use Keyman's SA to pull the SysRPL object from the menu key, disassemble with Jazz. I couldn't find a Jazz-compatible entry po...

response file for mbuild command.
Hello, I'd like to know if someone could tell me the where I could find documentation about response_file (.rsp) syntax which are used in the mbuild command. The aim : I use lcclnk to make my executable (on PC) and, maybe because of dos command line limitations, the command line use a rsp file which I think contains all object file and all dynamic and static libraries of my project. Thanks in advance for your answers. David. ...

javac command not working in command prompt
Hi guys, I have just installed SDK 1.4.2 and i am following the http://java.sun.com/docs/books/tutorial/getStarted/cupojava/win32.html tourial. I tried installing version JDK 6 beta 2 but the javac command in command prompt did not work, i still have the same problem with SDK 1.4.2 Can anyone help? Thanks Chris I will try JDK 5.0 Update 8 later when the site so busy that i cannot download it chrisdude911 wrote: > Hi guys, > I have just installed SDK 1.4.2 and i am following the > http://java.sun.com/docs/books/tutorial/getStarted/cupojava/win32.html > tourial. > I tried insta...

Unable to redefine a command
Hi all, At a recent thread concerning the hyperref package and the \pageref command, Heiko Oberdiek taught me how to make a macro which behaves like \pageref but in such a way that the link it creates alwys ponts to the top of the page. The macro is this one: \newcommand*{\mypageref}[1]{% \expandafter\@pagesetref\csname r@#1\endcsname\@empty{#1}} It works, but I've decided to take one small step further and to rewrite the \pageref command. I'm most confused by the result. Consider the following LaTeX file: ---------------------------- test.tex ---------------------------- \docu...

Mean of general Beta distribution
Hi Everyone, This is I suppose is more a general maths question. I am working on a simulation where I would like to specify the upper and lower bounds of the Beta distribution, and at the same time be able to directly set the mean of the distribution, instead of indirectly via the shape parameters. I am aware of the mean of the Beta distribution, but only for lower and upper limits of 0 and 1. What is the general equation for the mean, involving the two shape parameters and the upper and lower limits of the distribution? Best Ulrik. "Ulrik Nash" <uwn@sam.sdu.dk> ...

Keystrokes enable command buttons ?
Hello All I have written a desktop calculator that uses command butons for the numeric keys 0-9 and + - * / . = I need to know how to enable the command subroutines to be called when the user presses a key on his keyboard, e.g. 9*4/3= ( NOT by using the ALT key with hotkeys "&" ) Thanks ! Francois Terblanche Verismall Software www.verismall.com Have you tried setting the form's KeyPreview property to True? You could then use the Form_KeyDown, Form_KeyPress or Form_KeyUp events Francois wrote: > Hello All > > I have written a desktop calculator that uses com...

What does it mean for a machine to understand something?
On Jan 2, 9:53 am, c...@kcwc.com (Curt Welch) wrote: > "Alpha" <OmegaZero2...@yahoo.com> wrote: ... > > Is understanding required for intelligence. I think so. > > And there is little rationale or intuition leaning one > > towards the position that the Chinese Room "understands" > > Chinese. > None the less, the system reply does address all the issues > of "understanding". ... > But in no case, does the system understand any less than a > human, because in all cases, humans are just machines that > react to...

Problem with long filename in Win 98 while reading the filename from command line using function ParseCommandLine()
Hi All, I am developing an MDI application using MFC. I am facing a problem related to long file name in Windows 98. When I drags a file with longer name of 8 characters (say abcdefghijk.txt), on the icon of my application on the desktop. My application opens the file with modified filename, eg. abcdef~2,txt. This problem does not exist on Win2K. BOOL CIcadApp::InitInstance() { CCommandLineInfo cmfInfo; ParseCommandLine(cmdInfo); ....... Is their any solution to this problem ? Thanks, M# ...

Rmail user groups. Rmail. emacs. spamassassin headers. emacs commands. Rmail commands. whitelist.
What Rmail user groups are there anywhere around the internet ?... Question a. For Rmail in emacs where the system already runs spamassassin and puts the spamassassin headers on messages, how do you sort out spam type messages so that you can still check around in that sorting in case of any false positives?... 1. For novice users without expertise in writing dotfiles, for novice users without expertise in programming, what emacs commands, Rmail commands can be used to sort out spam type messages according to spamassassin headers rankings? 2. How do you create ...

calculating mean prediction bands
I have a 3 dimensional grid of data points that I am fitting to a 2 dimensional (second order) polynomial model. I wanted to use the Levenburg-Marquardt method so I used the NonlinearModelFit function with the appropriate options selected. But what I am really interested in is the mean prediction bands associated with the fit. What is the method that Mathematica uses to calculate these prediction bands? Is it an exact or approximate method? Is the method for the 3 dimensional case different from the method for the 2 dimensional case? Are there any other methods available for calculating predic...

command line
I want to do some things that look complicated with the command line for example. int main(int argc, char *argv[]) This is the only other main based parameter I know of other than int main(void). Now if I wanted to use switches at the command line such as : real 14 54 -help -help would display help but I want -help to be recognized anywhere in the command line input. real -help 14 real 14 -help Would this coding involve using argc or *argv[] ? Bill Bill Cunningham wrote: > I want to do some things that look complicated with the command line for > example. > >...

Sub-directories and commands
Hello all, Is there a way to run a command and have it applied to all sub-directories? Perhaps a script would do the job. For example, if I'm in a parent directory and want to run "cat *.car" or "gzip *.tar" on all subdirectories, how would I do it? Thanks -- Aaron Deskins Graduate Student Chemical Engineering Purdue University Aaron Deskins <ndeskins@ecn.purdue.edu> wrote: >Hello all, > Is there a way to run a command and have it applied to all > sub-directories? Perhaps a script would do the job. > For example, if I'm in a paren...

help! simulink scope/viewer: change param from command line
I am creating a matlab GUI to change parameters of my model during simulation. I also woul like to add a feature of a scope/viewer for which I can select from the GUI the signals to be displayed. My idea was to use a floating scope block, open when the GUI is created, and then change the properties of the scope block in order to change the signal to be displayed (something similar to the Signal Selector, but implemented directly on the GUI). However, so far I did not manage to understand which parameters need to be changed in order to add/remove signals dispalyed in the scope, and how to do t...

command catalogue
Hi, Here is the stupidest of questions: Where can I find a catalogue of commands telling me what they do and what options they have? I looked here and on ctan but I can't find it. Thanks Carnelain On 10-04-2007 15:35, carnelain@gmail.com wrote: > Here is the stupidest of questions: Where can I find a catalogue of > commands telling me what they do and what options they have? > I looked here and on ctan but I can't find it. My guess is that this is what you want: http://computing.ee.ethz.ch/.soft/latex/green/ltx-2.html Best regards, Jose Carlos Santos On 10 apr, 16:47...

Problems with mesh command
Hi all!! I want to fit my data to a surface. I use the following script: rand('seed',0) x = rand(100,1)*4-2; y = rand(100,1)*4-2; z = x.*exp(-x.^2-y.^2); ti = -2:.25:2; [XI,YI] = meshgrid(ti,ti); ZI = griddata(x,y,z,XI,YI); mesh(XI,YI,ZI), hold plot3(x,y,z,'o'), hold off but something goes wrong. I get the following error: ??? Subscript indices must either be real positive integers or logicals. Error in ==> D:\work\grid_data.m On line 40 ==> mesh(Xinterp,Yinterp,Zinterp) I'd appreciate somebody's help In article <30351784.1188772925018.JavaMail.jakarta@...

Another way to define key=val commands
After saw the keyval package, I note one having to define the keys, which is not convenient. And I do not find whether it can be nested. So i try to define a macro set which can be used as following: \defineoptcmd\test{k=D, a=VA}#1{\optuseget{\test}{k} {U}#1\optuseget{\test}{ka}{V}\optendcmd\test} then see \test[k=X]{\test[k=Y]{a}\test[ka=K]{b}} expanded to XYaVAXbKVA. \copyoptcmd\testa\test{k=TA} \defineoptcmd\teste{\optlink=\test, ka=VA, {k=b,b=v} = {b=b,b=b}}#1{% \optuseget{\teste}{k}{U}#1\optuseget{\teste}{ka}{V}\optendcmd\teste} \showopt\teste%% try to see internal options space \...

What does 'recursive' or 'recursively enumerable' literally mean?
Recently, I begin to read a couple of books on Turing Machine and I must admit that they are wheting my curiosity. Mostly, I read Prof. Sipser's book 'Introduction to the Theory of Computation.' After my rather hasty and narrow observation, I found that the textbooks on TM can be categorized into two kinds;one prefers the term 'Turing-recognizable' and 'Turing-decidable' while the other 'recursively enumerable' and 'recursive.' (Prof. Sipser follows the former.) Although I am not a native English speaker, I can easily catch the meaning of both Turin...