Which Linux OS should I install

I am very very new to Linux. I have a very old laptop that I am
experimenting with. I am trying to run it as an image viewer. Something that
will scroll pictures from a directory. So I thought here would be a perfect
time to play with Linux. I've gone to a Linux distros site, but there are so
many. I searched for a minimalist Linux version and burned a couple iso's,
but I couldn't get any of them to work.

Can any of you recommend a version that would do what I want it to do? My
skill level is quite amateurish.

Thanks
Jeff

P.S. I formatted the drive so there is currently no OS. It also has very
little physical RAM.  (16 megs???) It also only has like 1.6 gig hardrive.
;)

0
solrpwr (8)

solrpwr wrote:
> I am very very new to Linux. I have a very old laptop that
> I am experimenting with. I am trying to run it as an image
> viewer. Something that will scroll pictures from a
> directory. So I thought here would be a perfect time to
> play with Linux. I've gone to a Linux distros site, but
> there are so many. I searched for a minimalist Linux
> version and burned a couple iso's, but I couldn't get any
> of them to work.

Which distros did you try? What exactly was the problem with
them? Without any details it is very difficult to make any
jedgement about what went wrong.

> Can any of you recommend a version that would do what I
> want it to do? My skill level is quite amateurish.

I'd suggest VectorLinux (http://www.vectorlinux.org/). With
a slim window manager (like IceWM) it should work
satisfactory.

Regards,
--
Fabian Kurz, DJ1YFK * Dresden, Germany * http://fkurz.net/
0
* solrpwr wrote in comp.os.linux.misc:
> I am very very new to Linux. I have a very old laptop that I am
> experimenting with. I am trying to run it as an image viewer. Something that
> will scroll pictures from a directory. So I thought here would be a perfect
> time to play with Linux. I've gone to a Linux distros site, but there are so
> many. I searched for a minimalist Linux version and burned a couple iso's,
> but I couldn't get any of them to work.

> Can any of you recommend a version that would do what I want it to do? My
> skill level is quite amateurish.

> P.S. I formatted the drive so there is currently no OS. It also has very
> little physical RAM.  (16 megs???) It also only has like 1.6 gig hardrive.

Was one of the iso's you burned "Damn Small Linux"?
I'd give that a shot.

--
David
Hold the MAYO & pass the COSMIC AWARENESS ...

> I've gone to a Linux distros site, but there are so
> many. I searched for a minimalist Linux version and burned a couple iso's,
> but I couldn't get any of them to work.
>
> Can any of you recommend a version that would do what I want it to do? My
> skill level is quite amateurish.

.... VectorLinux SOHO

--
<<  http://michaeljtobler.homelinux.com (Garbage - You Look So Fine)  >>
He looked at me as if I was a side dish he hadn't ordered.
On Wed, 18 May 2005 01:15:34 +0000, solrpwr wrote:

> I am very very new to Linux. I have a very old laptop that I am
> experimenting with. I am trying to run it as an image viewer. Something that
> will scroll pictures from a directory. So I thought here would be a perfect
> time to play with Linux. I've gone to a Linux distros site, but there are so
> many. I searched for a minimalist Linux version and burned a couple iso's,
> but I couldn't get any of them to work.
>
> Can any of you recommend a version that would do what I want it to do? My
> skill level is quite amateurish.
>
> Thanks
> Jeff
>
> P.S. I formatted the drive so there is currently no OS. It also has very
> little physical RAM.  (16 megs???) It also only has like 1.6 gig hardrive.
> ;)

That ain't old - I got an old laptop. A Zenith with 640 kb memory and two
floppy disks - no hard drive.

0
ray65 (5421)
5/18/2005 4:19:04 AM
> P.S. I formatted the drive so there is currently no OS. It also has very
> little physical RAM.  (16 megs???) It also only has like 1.6 gig hardrive.

Slackware is pretty nice on older machines.
(ray <ray@zianet.com>) scribbled:

> That ain't old - I got an old laptop. A Zenith with 640 kb memory and two
> floppy disks - no hard drive.

.... and which distro are you running on that?

--
<<  http://michaeljtobler.homelinux.com (Led Zeppelin - Babe I'm Gonna Leave You)  >>
You think Oedipus had a problem -- Adam was Eve's mother.
solrpwr wrote:
> I am very very new to Linux. I have a very old laptop that I am
> experimenting with. I am trying to run it as an image viewer. Something that
> will scroll pictures from a directory. So I thought here would be a perfect
> time to play with Linux. I've gone to a Linux distros site, but there are so
> many. I searched for a minimalist Linux version and burned a couple iso's,
> but I couldn't get any of them to work.
>
> Can any of you recommend a version that would do what I want it to do? My
> skill level is quite amateurish.
>
> Thanks
> Jeff
>
> P.S. I formatted the drive so there is currently no OS. It also has very
> little physical RAM.  (16 megs???) It also only has like 1.6 gig hardrive.
> ;)

Try this: http://www.zegeniestudios.net/ldc/index.php

-Henriette