Windows Vista Beta 1 is already superior to Linux.

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

Same P4 3.0ghz Abit system with 1G of memory and Vista is MUCH FASTER
than Suse9.3pro on the same system and this is a beta 1 loaded with
debug code for sure. Windows also looks much better and every single
piece of hardware on my system, including my wireless card worked
fine.The same could not be said of Suse9.3proLinux.

What little market, if any, that Linux has with regards to desktop
systems is living on borrowed time. Windows Vista will only get better
and faster and when the debug code is removed for the golden, Linux is
going to become ancient history.
Linux had it's chance and Microsoft has remained for the most part
silent while it developed Vista. Now that the beta 1 is here, it is
very obvious that this is going to be a fantastic product.
So long desktop Linux, not that you ever had any marketshare anyhow.
Sally Vadi

0
Reply sally_vadi (6) 8/3/2005 9:14:27 PM

See related articles to this posting

Sally Vadi wrote:
> Same P4 3.0ghz Abit system with 1G of memory and Vista is MUCH FASTER
> than Suse9.3pro on the same system and this is a beta 1 loaded with
> debug code for sure. Windows also looks much better and every single
> piece of hardware on my system, including my wireless card worked
> fine.The same could not be said of Suse9.3proLinux.
>
> What little market, if any, that Linux has with regards to desktop
> systems is living on borrowed time. Windows Vista will only get better
> and faster and when the debug code is removed for the golden, Linux is
> going to become ancient history.
> Linux had it's chance and Microsoft has remained for the most part
> silent while it developed Vista. Now that the beta 1 is here, it is
> very obvious that this is going to be a fantastic product.
> So long desktop Linux, not that you ever had any marketshare anyhow.
> Sally Vadi

Thank you so much for your helpful post, Sally. It surely removes a burden
from my mind and will help me sleep better tonight. I only wish you had
posted this back when I was running Windows.

In fact, I was running it until this morning on my old machine. But today,
it will not boot up very well. It starts with the McAfee VirusScan splash,
but it never gets out of there, and until it does, nothing else will run.
And if I kill it with Ctrl-Alt-Delete it kills VirusScan, but it does the
menu will not come up. Whenver I touch the task bar, all I get is an
hourglass. I tried to delete the McAfee stuff, (Change and Remove programs),
but it says setting up remove, or some such thing, and hangs forever.
Rebooting does not help. Nothing helps. What should I do now. I fear I will
have to wipe the hard drives and reinstall W-XP, my programs, and my data
from backup. Unfortunately, it crashed before I could make a backup.
Fortunately, that is a dual boot system and I put my critical data on a
FAT-32 file system, so I am backing the critical data up right now with Linux.

What is the approved Windows way to do this when I cannot even boot it
completely, oh wise one?

 ^^-^^ 17:19:59 up 49 days, 11:13, 3 users, load average: 4.11, 3.25, 3.02
0
Reply jdbeyer (1228) 8/3/2005 9:28:18 PM

Sally Vadi wrote something like:

> Same P4 3.0ghz Abit system with 1G of memory and Vista is MUCH FASTER
> than Suse9.3pro on the same system and this is a beta 1 loaded with
> debug code for sure. Windows also looks much better and every single
> piece of hardware on my system, including my wireless card worked
> fine.The same could not be said of Suse9.3proLinux.

Flatty or another DFS 'version'?  MSO opens quicker on the P166 than OOo on
the 2ghz P4, etc...

> What little market, if any, that Linux has with regards to desktop
> systems is living on borrowed time. Windows Vista will only get better
> and faster and when the debug code is removed for the golden, Linux is
> going to become ancient history.

Yawn. Heard that 10 years ago with the 95 release, then again with the ME
and XP release...

So, faster eh? Is XP slow or something :)

> Linux had it's chance and Microsoft has remained for the most part
> silent while it developed Vista.

Except for the billions in advertising XP, of course.

> Now that the beta 1 is here, it is
> very obvious that this is going to be a fantastic product.
> So long desktop Linux, not that you ever had any marketshare anyhow.
> Sally Vadi

Yep, bye now. You can go use it and be happy. Feel free to post bugs on
alt.os.windows-xp

--
-
 I use linux. Can anyone give me a good reason to use Windows?

Jean-David Beyer ha escrito:

> Sally Vadi wrote:
> > Same P4 3.0ghz Abit system with 1G of memory and Vista is MUCH FASTER
> > than Suse9.3pro on the same system and this is a beta 1 loaded with
> > debug code for sure. Windows also looks much better and every single
> > piece of hardware on my system, including my wireless card worked
> > fine.The same could not be said of Suse9.3proLinux.
> >
> > What little market, if any, that Linux has with regards to desktop
> > systems is living on borrowed time. Windows Vista will only get better
> > and faster and when the debug code is removed for the golden, Linux is
> > going to become ancient history.
> > Linux had it's chance and Microsoft has remained for the most part
> > silent while it developed Vista. Now that the beta 1 is here, it is
> > very obvious that this is going to be a fantastic product.
> > So long desktop Linux, not that you ever had any marketshare anyhow.
> > Sally Vadi
> >
> Thank you so much for your helpful post, Sally. It surely removes a burden
> from my mind and will help me sleep better tonight. I only wish you had
> posted this back when I was running Windows.
>
> In fact, I was running it until this morning on my old machine. But today,
> it will not boot up very well. It starts with the McAfee VirusScan splash,
> but it never gets out of there, and until it does, nothing else will run.
> And if I kill it with Ctrl-Alt-Delete it kills VirusScan, but it does the
> menu will not come up. Whenver I touch the task bar, all I get is an
> hourglass. I tried to delete the McAfee stuff, (Change and Remove programs),
> but it says setting up remove, or some such thing, and hangs forever.
> Rebooting does not help. Nothing helps. What should I do now. I fear I will
> have to wipe the hard drives and reinstall W-XP, my programs, and my data
> from backup. Unfortunately, it crashed before I could make a backup.
> Fortunately, that is a dual boot system and I put my critical data on a
> FAT-32 file system, so I am backing the critical data up right now with Linux.
>
> What is the approved Windows way to do this when I cannot even boot it
> completely, oh wise one?

Macafee is not Windows.
Why is it that Linux users always seem to have these massive problems
with Windows?
Maybe you should have asked for advice before you installed a shit
program like Macafee?
Hmm?
I guess you didn't have the time to ask because you were too busy
constructing that geek code block that passes for your sig.

BTW your "story" doesn't ring true.

"Old machine", "was running up until this morning", "when I was running
Windows"
and you have no backup?

Sounds like pretty inept system administration to me, but then again it
also sounds like a completely fabricated tall tale, at least based upon
your own words.

BTW lose the geek code block.
It makes you look like, well, a geek.

> --
>   .~.  Jean-David Beyer          Registered Linux User 85642.
>   /V\  PGP-Key: 9A2FC99A         Registered Machine   241939.
>  /( )\ Shrewsbury, New Jersey    http://counter.li.org
>  ^^-^^ 17:19:59 up 49 days, 11:13, 3 users, load average: 4.11, 3.25, 3.02

0
Reply sally_vadi (6) 8/3/2005 9:41:33 PM

On Wed, 03 Aug 2005 14:14:27 -0700, Sally Vadi wrote:

> Same P4 3.0ghz Abit system with 1G of memory and Vista is MUCH FASTER
> than Suse9.3pro on the same system and this is a beta 1 loaded with
> debug code for sure. Windows also looks much better and every single
> piece of hardware on my system, including my wireless card worked
> fine.The same could not be said of Suse9.3proLinux.

You like it, go ahead and use it.

> What little market, if any, that Linux has with regards to desktop
> systems is living on borrowed time. Windows Vista will only get better
> and faster and when the debug code is removed for the golden, Linux is
> going to become ancient history.

I doubt that very seriously. Linux is about choice, and if MS is yours,
that's your business, but there are still going to be a lot of rational
individuals and businesses that will see Linux as a better choice for them.

> Linux had it's chance and Microsoft has remained for the most part
> silent while it developed Vista. Now that the beta 1 is here, it is
> very obvious that this is going to be a fantastic product.
> So long desktop Linux, not that you ever had any marketshare anyhow.
> Sally Vadi

It has 100% market share in my house - we run a three computer lan - all
Linux. And I recently installed Mandrake 10.1 to run on the public access
internet computers at the local library - overwhelming success. To date NO
complaints, and the director is ecstatic - before, when they ran MS she
was called to the floor three or more times per day to help patrons with
internet problems - now, they just run.

0
Reply ray65 (5422) 8/3/2005 10:05:54 PM

Sally Vadi wrote something like:

> Jean-David Beyer ha escrito:
>
>> Sally Vadi wrote:
>> > Same P4 3.0ghz Abit system with 1G of memory and Vista is MUCH FASTER
>> > than Suse9.3pro on the same system and this is a beta 1 loaded with
>> > debug code for sure. Windows also looks much better and every single
>> > piece of hardware on my system, including my wireless card worked
>> > fine.The same could not be said of Suse9.3proLinux.
>> >
>> > What little market, if any, that Linux has with regards to desktop
>> > systems is living on borrowed time. Windows Vista will only get better
>> > and faster and when the debug code is removed for the golden, Linux is
>> > going to become ancient history.
>> > Linux had it's chance and Microsoft has remained for the most part
>> > silent while it developed Vista. Now that the beta 1 is here, it is
>> > very obvious that this is going to be a fantastic product.
>> > So long desktop Linux, not that you ever had any marketshare anyhow.
>> > Sally Vadi
>> >
>> Thank you so much for your helpful post, Sally. It surely removes a
>> burden from my mind and will help me sleep better tonight. I only wish
>> you had posted this back when I was running Windows.
>>
>> In fact, I was running it until this morning on my old machine. But
>> today, it will not boot up very well. It starts with the McAfee VirusScan
>> splash, but it never gets out of there, and until it does, nothing else
>> will run. And if I kill it with Ctrl-Alt-Delete it kills VirusScan, but
>> it does the menu will not come up. Whenver I touch the task bar, all I
>> get is an hourglass. I tried to delete the McAfee stuff, (Change and
>> Remove programs), but it says setting up remove, or some such thing, and
>> hangs forever. Rebooting does not help. Nothing helps. What should I do
>> now. I fear I will have to wipe the hard drives and reinstall W-XP, my
>> programs, and my data from backup. Unfortunately, it crashed before I
>> could make a backup. Fortunately, that is a dual boot system and I put my
>> critical data on a FAT-32 file system, so I am backing the critical data
>> up right now with Linux.
>>
>> What is the approved Windows way to do this when I cannot even boot it
>> completely, oh wise one?
>
> Macafee is not Windows.

Nope, but windows doesn't stand well on it's own.

> Why is it that Linux users always seem to have these massive problems
> with Windows?

It exists.

> Maybe you should have asked for advice before you installed a shit
> program like Macafee?

Yep. Should have used shit norton instead.

> Hmm?
> I guess you didn't have the time to ask because you were too busy
> constructing that geek code block that passes for your sig.

Geek code block? You must be on drugs, Doof.

> BTW your "story" doesn't ring true.

But you are the source of all wisdom, huh?

> "Old machine", "was running up until this morning", "when I was running
> Windows"
> and you have no backup?

Windows users back up?

> Sounds like pretty inept system administration to me, but then again it
> also sounds like a completely fabricated tall tale, at least based upon
> your own words.

You have to have a system to admin, which is a challenge with Win.

> BTW lose the geek code block.
> It makes you look like, well, a geek.

Seeing imaginary code blocks make you look like an even bigger kook than the
normal anonymous troll.

>> --
>>   .~.  Jean-David Beyer          Registered Linux User 85642.
>>   /V\  PGP-Key: 9A2FC99A         Registered Machine   241939.
>>  /( )\ Shrewsbury, New Jersey    http://counter.li.org
>>  ^^-^^ 17:19:59 up 49 days, 11:13, 3 users, load average: 4.11, 3.25,
>>  3.02

I see a penguin, a PGP key, an address (not seen on troll posts), some linux
reg numbers and an uptime...

--
-
 I use linux. Can anyone give me a good reason to use Windows?
-
0
Reply usenet52 (1282) 8/3/2005 10:06:14 PM

On Wed, 03 Aug 2005 17:28:18 -0400, Jean-David Beyer wrote:

> Sally Vadi wrote:
>> Same P4 3.0ghz Abit system with 1G of memory and Vista is MUCH FASTER
>> than Suse9.3pro on the same system and this is a beta 1 loaded with
>> debug code for sure. Windows also looks much better and every single
>> piece of hardware on my system, including my wireless card worked
>> fine.The same could not be said of Suse9.3proLinux.
>>
>> What little market, if any, that Linux has with regards to desktop
>> systems is living on borrowed time. Windows Vista will only get better
>> and faster and when the debug code is removed for the golden, Linux is
>> going to become ancient history.
>> Linux had it's chance and Microsoft has remained for the most part
>> silent while it developed Vista. Now that the beta 1 is here, it is
>> very obvious that this is going to be a fantastic product.
>> So long desktop Linux, not that you ever had any marketshare anyhow.
>> Sally Vadi
>>
> Thank you so much for your helpful post, Sally. It surely removes a burden
> from my mind and will help me sleep better tonight. I only wish you had
> posted this back when I was running Windows.
>
> In fact, I was running it until this morning on my old machine. But today,
> it will not boot up very well. It starts with the McAfee VirusScan splash,
> but it never gets out of there, and until it does, nothing else will run.
> And if I kill it with Ctrl-Alt-Delete it kills VirusScan, but it does the
> menu will not come up. Whenver I touch the task bar, all I get is an
> hourglass. I tried to delete the McAfee stuff, (Change and Remove programs),
> but it says setting up remove, or some such thing, and hangs forever.
> Rebooting does not help. Nothing helps. What should I do now. I fear I will
> have to wipe the hard drives and reinstall W-XP, my programs, and my data
> from backup. Unfortunately, it crashed before I could make a backup.
> Fortunately, that is a dual boot system and I put my critical data on a
> FAT-32 file system, so I am backing the critical data up right now with Linux.
>
> What is the approved Windows way to do this when I cannot even boot it
> completely, oh wise one?

Format the disk and reinstall.

0
Reply ray65 (5422) 8/3/2005 10:06:52 PM

Sally Vadi wrote:

> Maybe you should have asked for advice before you installed a shit
> program like Macafee?

The question I have: why is an extra program like Macafee (sic) necessary on
such a secure and safe operating system as Windows?

0
Reply ReapNewsB (1408) 8/3/2005 10:19:23 PM

begin  virus.txt.scr Sally Vadi (flatfish) wrote:

< snip flatfish droppings >

Hi flatfish. How is that open relay in Uruguay working? Fast enough for your
inane trollings?

You lately posted as

Aftab Singh, allison_hunt1969, Anna Banger, anonymous, Archie Watermann,
Baba Booey, Babu Singh, bill.gates.loves.me, bison, Bjarne Jensen,
BklynBoy, Boyce Mabri, Buster, Charles LeGrand, Charlie, Choppers McGee,
Christine Abernathy, Claire Lynn, Collie Entragion, Connie Hines, Corrie
Titlaand, dbx_boy, Deadpenguin, Elliot Zimmermann, Emmanuel Arias, Fawn
Lebowitz, flatfish+++, foamy, Gary Stewart, George Littlefield, Gilbert
Hochaim, gilligan, Greg Finnigan, Greg Laplante, Hans Kimm, Heather,
Heather69, hepcat, Ishmeal Hafizi, itchy balls, Ivan Mctavish, IvanaB, Jeff
Szarka, juke_joint, kaptain kaput, Karla Snodgress, kathy_krantz, Kendra,
Le Farter, Les Turner, Lilly, Lindy, Lisa Shavas, long_tong_ling, Lukumi
Babalu Aye, Luna Lane, Major Mynor, McSwain, Moses,
narrows_whitefish@yahoo.com, nate_mcspook, okto_pussy, Paddy  McCrockett,
Patricia, Peter Gluckman, Phillip Cornwall, phoung quoak, pickle_pete,
Poopy Pants McGee, Quimby, Richie O'Toole, Robert Strunk, rothstein_ivan,
Sammy, Sammy Whalen, Saul Goldblatt, Schlomo Smykowski, Sharon Hubbasland,
Sean, Sean Fitzhenry, Sean Macpherson, Sewer Rat, sewer_clown,
Spammy_Davis, spanny_davis, Stephan Simonsen, Stephen, Stephen Townshend,
SuckyB, SunnyB, Susan Wong, Suzie Wong, Swampee, The Beaver, Thorsten, Toby
Rastus Roosovelt III, Tomas Bicsak, Tori, Tori Wassermann, Tracee,
trailerpark, Trina Swallows, Vince Fontain, Vladimir Yepifano, Walter
Bubniak, Wang Mycock, Whizzer, Wilbur J, Willy Wong, Winnie Septos,Wobbles
and zyklon_C.
Plus many, many, many more.
--
"Against stupidity, the very gods themselves contend in vain."
Friedrich Schiller

0
Reply Peter.Koehlmann (13224) 8/3/2005 10:40:45 PM

Sally Vadi wrote:

   You say Windows Vista is superior to Linux because:
1. it's faster
2. it prettier
3. it detects new hardware better

   What benchmarks were used for #1?
   #2 is MS' forte.
   #3 No hardware list. And which ones did Suse fail to detect?

--
jmm dash list (at) sohnen-moe (dot) com
(Remove .AXSPAMGN for email)

Jim Moe wrote:

> flatfuck wrote:
>
> (a bunch of crap)
>
>    You say Windows Vista is superior to Linux because:
> 1. it's faster
> 2. it prettier
> 3. it detects new hardware better
>
>    What benchmarks were used for #1?
>    #2 is MS' forte.

Debatable. Most people (myself included) find the default XP theme too
cartoonish. MicroShaft's forte is *marketing*, they're damn good at
selling shite as if it was gold.

0
Reply beowulf40 (169) 8/3/2005 11:07:20 PM

begin  virus.txt.scr Sally Vadi wrote:

< snip flatfish droppings >

Hi flatfish. Still using that open relay in Uruguay?

[...]

Sally Vadi, Sammy, Sammy Whalen, Saul Goldblatt, Schlomo Smykowski, Sharon
Hubbasland, Sean, Sean Fitzhenry, Sean Macpherson, Sewer Rat, sewer_clown,
Spammy_Davis, spanny_davis, Stephan Simonsen, Stephen, Stephen Townshend,
SuckyB, SunnyB, Susan Wong, Suzie Wong, Swampee, The Beaver, Thorsten, Toby
Rastus Roosovelt III, Tomas Bicsak, Tori, Tori Wassermann, Tracee,
trailerpark, Trina Swallows, Vince Fontain, Vladimir Yepifano, Walter
Bubniak, Wang Mycock, Whizzer, Wilbur J, Willy Wong, Winnie Septos,Wobbles
and zyklon_C.
Plus many, many, many more.
--
Linux: Because rebooting is for adding new hardware

0
Reply Peter.Koehlmann (13224) 8/3/2005 11:10:39 PM

Beowulf TrollsHammer wrote something like:

> Jim Moe wrote:
>
>> flatfuck wrote:
>>
>> (a bunch of crap)
>>
>>    You say Windows Vista is superior to Linux because:
>> 1. it's faster
>> 2. it prettier
>> 3. it detects new hardware better
>>
>>    What benchmarks were used for #1?
>>    #2 is MS' forte.
>
> Debatable. Most people (myself included) find the default XP theme too
> cartoonish. MicroShaft's forte is *marketing*, they're damn good at
> selling shite as if it was gold.

People like cartoons unfortunately... look at current movies. Heck, I like
cartoons as well.

--
-
 I use linux. Can anyone give me a good reason to use Windows?
-
0
Reply usenet52 (1282) 8/3/2005 11:11:40 PM

Sally Vadi wrote:

> What little market, if any, that Linux has with regards to desktop
> systems is living on borrowed time. Windows Vista will only get better
> and faster and when the debug code is removed for the golden, Linux is
> going to become ancient history.

- and if that were to come to pass, would you be happy?
Is that what you want to see happen?
- just Microsoft, no choice, no viable alternative, just
take-it-or-leave it, and pay the manufacturer's asking price?

Are you quite old, and writing from Moscow?
Is your family name Stalin?
It's only fair to tell you - there's a lot of Americans in this group,
and you might well encounter some hostility to your current 5-year
plan.

Bill
0
Reply bbgruff (6626) 8/4/2005 12:14:28 AM

Sally Vadi wrote:
> Same P4 3.0ghz Abit system with 1G of memory and Vista is MUCH FASTER
> than Suse9.3pro on the same system and this is a beta 1 loaded with
> debug code for sure. Windows also looks much better
But not better than GNOME 2.12!

> and every single
> piece of hardware on my system, including my wireless card worked
> fine.The same could not be said of Suse9.3proLinux.
Could I get some benchmarks please?

> What little market, if any, that Linux has with regards to desktop
> systems is living on borrowed time.
Pff, Vista might 'own' the market for 8 months, if you disregard GTK 2.8
(which finally integrates Cairo!)

> Windows Vista will only get better
> and faster and when the debug code is removed for the golden, Linux is
> going to become ancient history.
A pretty UI has never been te reason people move to Linux--though Gnome
2.12 is certainly looking better than Vista is.

> Linux had it's chance and Microsoft has remained for the most part
> silent while it developed Vista. Now that the beta 1 is here, it is
> very obvious that this is going to be a fantastic product.
Doubtful, it's still going to be a Microsoft product so the
implementation will naturally leave much to be desired.

> So long desktop Linux, not that you ever had any marketshare anyhow.
> Sally Vadi

0
Reply theletterk3 (2491) 8/4/2005 12:27:16 AM

In comp.os.linux.advocacy, amosf (Tim Fairchild)
<usenet@bcs4me.com>
 wrote
on Wed, 03 Aug 2005 23:11:40 GMT
<42f14f13@news.comindico.com.au>:
> Beowulf TrollsHammer wrote something like:
>
>> Jim Moe wrote:
>>
>>> flatfuck wrote:
>>>
>>> (a bunch of crap)
>>>
>>>    You say Windows Vista is superior to Linux because:
>>> 1. it's faster
>>> 2. it prettier
>>> 3. it detects new hardware better
>>>
>>>    What benchmarks were used for #1?
>>>    #2 is MS' forte.
>>
>> Debatable. Most people (myself included) find the default XP theme too
>> cartoonish. MicroShaft's forte is *marketing*, they're damn good at
>> selling shite as if it was gold.
>
> People like cartoons unfortunately... look at current movies. Heck, I like
> cartoons as well.

One could admittedly get philosophical here (which would take
us very far afield!) but the default theme for Windows XP
reminds me of a certain British TV show.

No, not highly-intelligent fare such as "Doctor Who",
"EastEnders", "Fawlty Towers", "Are You Being Served", or
even "Monty Python's Flying Circus". :-)  This particular
show features a 'sunbaby', 4 furry things with coathangers,
and a magic pinwheel set in a field.

In other words, TeleTubbies, The Show That Makes The Broadcast
ColorBar Test Pattern Look Intelligent.

I've watched it -- once.  The making of Tubby Custard was
probably the most interesting part of the show, and they
didn't really go into any detail as to what happens inside
the machine.  But then, they didn't go into much detail
on what happens inside the Tubby's digestive system after it
consumes the custard, either...though another skit has them
standing up and sitting down accompanied by various gas noises;
maybe that's it.

To be fair, 1 year olds probably love this show.
I wouldn't know; I don't have one handy whose mother
will allow me to sacrifice its brain to the boob tube,
watching this show.  I'm a lot older than 1 year in age,
unless one counts in Saturn years -- but that's a detail.

I suppose it could be worse, but I don't know what Barney,
The Violently Purple Dinosaur In League With Bill Gates,
and that other dinosaur (it's green and looks vaguely like
a stegosaurus) sings and dances in front of at the start
of their show.  Maybe it's just as well; TeleTubbies don't
sing, or if they do, it's more tolerable than "I wuv you,
you wuv me; let's make everything sugary..." ;-)

But then, the audience is probably different.

I'm not sure Gnome has much of a default background as a default,
but it does offer some possibilities, or one can just go
with a basic gradient, which is what I ended up doing.
KDE has an "alien city" theme which IMO is nice eye-candy,
if a bit unrealistic.

For its part XP does have a "starburst" or "hyperjump"
theme that is tolerable.  Unfortunately, it tends to forget
the background settings anyway; I went to all the trouble
of giving it a Gimp-created "burnished aluminum" affair
identifying my system with its localname and it loses it
when I close the VNC viewer, then reopen it.  Fortunately,
logging out of Windows (Start>Log Off) and logging back
in brings it back, were I to really care, which I don't.

One would think something that basic would work.

But never mind....

[1] Faster: I can't say.  I get the feeling that it has to play "schlog
through the page cache" or some such every time I use it.  Gentoo
feels snappier on a machine with 1/4 the RAM, until the RAM fills up,
of course.

[2] Prettier: Gentoo/Gnome wins here, even with such a basic gradiented
screen as I've set up; Gnome doesn't forget its settings.  XP of course
has a 3-D "My Computer" Icon, as opposed to Gnome's 2D monitor affair;
whoop-te-[censored]-doo.  (I'll have to see how well Gnome's CD/DVD
creator works from the "Computer" window, though, now that I have
a working one.  Hmm...)

[3] Detection of hardware: I'm not sure here, either.  Linux is adequate
for my needs, but my needs aren't nearly as sophisticated as FlatFish's.
Then again, they're quite esoteric, and I'm still going to have to
get my thinnet working again.  (That's right, I have 10BaseT still.
It's mostly powered off now, but I don't know if the Amiga has a card
that knows RJ45.)

In any event, vaporware doesn't detect real hardware all that well
anyway.  :-)  I'll admit to wondering how well Beta1 works in that
context, but I'm not about to spend $300 just to sate my curiosity.

#191, ewill3@earthlink.net
It's still legal to go .sigless.
0
Reply ewill5 (11076) 8/4/2005 2:00:09 AM

Sally Vadi wrote:
> Jean-David Beyer ha escrito:
>

>>Sally Vadi wrote:
>>
>>>Same P4 3.0ghz Abit system with 1G of memory and Vista is MUCH FASTER
>>>than Suse9.3pro on the same system and this is a beta 1 loaded with
>>>debug code for sure. Windows also looks much better and every single
>>>piece of hardware on my system, including my wireless card worked
>>>fine.The same could not be said of Suse9.3proLinux.
>>>
>>>What little market, if any, that Linux has with regards to desktop
>>>systems is living on borrowed time. Windows Vista will only get better
>>>and faster and when the debug code is removed for the golden, Linux is
>>>going to become ancient history.
>>>Linux had it's chance and Microsoft has remained for the most part
>>>silent while it developed Vista. Now that the beta 1 is here, it is
>>>very obvious that this is going to be a fantastic product.
>>>So long desktop Linux, not that you ever had any marketshare anyhow.
>>>Sally Vadi
>>>

>>Thank you so much for your helpful post, Sally. It surely removes a burden
>>from my mind and will help me sleep better tonight. I only wish you had
>>posted this back when I was running Windows.
>>
>>In fact, I was running it until this morning on my old machine. But today,
>>it will not boot up very well. It starts with the McAfee VirusScan splash,
>>but it never gets out of there, and until it does, nothing else will run.
>>And if I kill it with Ctrl-Alt-Delete it kills VirusScan, but it does the
>>menu will not come up. Whenver I touch the task bar, all I get is an
>>hourglass. I tried to delete the McAfee stuff, (Change and Remove programs),
>>but it says setting up remove, or some such thing, and hangs forever.
>>Rebooting does not help. Nothing helps. What should I do now. I fear I will
>>have to wipe the hard drives and reinstall W-XP, my programs, and my data
>>from backup. Unfortunately, it crashed before I could make a backup.
>>Fortunately, that is a dual boot system and I put my critical data on a
>>FAT-32 file system, so I am backing the critical data up right now with Linux.
>>
>>What is the approved Windows way to do this when I cannot even boot it
>>completely, oh wise one?
>

> Macafee is not Windows.

True enough, but it is supposed to work and has worked for over a year. It
just quit, if it was VirusScan that quit and not the OS, this morning.

> Why is it that Linux users always seem to have these massive problems
> with Windows?

Because they have higher expectations of what an OS should do, I imagine.

> Maybe you should have asked for advice before you installed a shit
> program like Macafee?
> Hmm?

Advice from whom? For an OS like Linux, I do not even need a virus scanner.

> I guess you didn't have the time to ask because you were too busy
> constructing that geek code block that passes for your sig.
>
> BTW your "story" doesn't ring true.
>
> "Old machine", "was running up until this morning", "when I was running
> Windows"

My old machine runs Windows XP and Linux. It had run Windows successfully
last week, when I made a backup of the entire file system on tape, and a
backup of my Quicken data on CD-RW.

> and you have no backup?

I not only have the two backups mentioned above, and I have a couple of
hours work in Quicken since those backups were made, but Linux backs up my
E: drive where the critical data reside. But since Windows will not complete
booting and logging in as me, I cannot get to where I need to be to restore
anything from the backup. As far as I can tell, I will need to reload
Windows XP, reload Quicken and TurboTax, and then restore all the data in
the E: drive from my Linux backup tape after I restore the Linux OS that

> Sounds like pretty inept system administration to me, but then again it
> also sounds like a completely fabricated tall tale, at least based upon
> your own words.

If you do not trust what I write, why read it?

> BTW lose the geek code block.
> It makes you look like, well, a geek.

That is very helpful. 8-(

 ^^-^^ 22:05:00 up 49 days, 15:58, 3 users, load average: 4.25, 4.10, 3.48
0
Reply jdbeyer (1228) 8/4/2005 2:15:44 AM

ray wrote:

>>What is the approved Windows way to do this when I cannot even boot it
>>completely, oh wise one?
>

> Format the disk and reinstall.

I am afraid you are right. Fortunately, Linux works, so I could get a
current backup of my Quicken data by reading the E: partition (that I wisely
made FAT32) in Linux to tape. After I format the disk and reinstall XP, and
reinstall Quicken and TurboTax, I will have to restore the boot block to
GRUB so that Linux will run again, and restore the E: partition ans start
over. The joys of Windows. 8-(

 ^^-^^ 22:15:00 up 49 days, 16:08, 3 users, load average: 4.32, 4.24, 3.84
0
Reply jdbeyer (1228) 8/4/2005 2:20:26 AM

On Wed, 03 Aug 2005 14:14:27 -0700, Sally Vadi wrote:

> Same P4 3.0ghz Abit system with 1G of memory and Vista is MUCH FASTER
> than Suse9.3pro on the same system and this is a beta 1 loaded with
> debug code for sure. Windows also looks much better and every single
> piece of hardware on my system, including my wireless card worked
> fine.The same could not be said of Suse9.3proLinux.
>
> What little market, if any, that Linux has with regards to desktop
> systems is living on borrowed time. Windows Vista will only get better
> and faster and when the debug code is removed for the golden, Linux is
> going to become ancient history.
> Linux had it's chance and Microsoft has remained for the most part
> silent while it developed Vista. Now that the beta 1 is here, it is
> very obvious that this is going to be a fantastic product.
> So long desktop Linux, not that you ever had any marketshare anyhow.
> Sally Vadi

Outside my house there are pleasant fields, hills and mountains.  There is
a valley with a bridge over it.  Legend has it that over the ages many
people who have tried to cross the bridge came to sticky or violent ends.
However, my next-door neighbour, who kept goats, never had any trouble.  I
asked him his secret.  He said, "That bridge is perfectly safe if you take
a goat with you wwhen you cross it"

Peter

--
If you are careful enough in life, nothing bad -- or
good -- will ever happen to you.

0
Reply muzh (15) 8/4/2005 3:09:55 AM

On Wed, 03 Aug 2005 14:14:27 -0700, Sally Vadi wrote:

> Linux had it's chance and Microsoft has remained for the most part
> silent while it developed Vista. Now that the beta 1 is here, it is
> very obvious that this is going to be a fantastic product.
> So long desktop Linux, not that you ever had any marketshare anyhow.

You and every other M$ product user on the planet had better pray that
Linux and OSS don't go anywhere.

Without Linux and OSS, M$ would have no incentive to improve on the
quality of their products, they would just keep spewing out the same
garbage wrapped in a new container and charge some ridiculous price for it.

Think on it, you don't improve by being the best, but by trying to be the
best.  Linux makes Windows better.  Instead of wanting to see Linux go
away, you should hope that it keeps on doing what it's doing by keeping
your platform vendor on their toes.

Maybe even one day, M$ products will be as good as Linux.  I seriously
doubt it, but it's always something you wintards can hope for.  For the
Linux users part, I hope M$ always keeps making Windows so there will
always be a model of how *not* to do something right.

--
rapskat -  23:12:58 up 7 days,  8:28,  5 users,  load average: 0.01, 0.06, 0.07
	"From a Sun Microsystems bug report (#4102680):

0
Reply rapskat2 (2035) 8/4/2005 3:22:07 AM

On 3 Aug 2005 14:41:33 -0700, "Sally Vadi" <sally_vadi@yahoo.com>
wrote:
>BTW lose the geek code block.
>It makes you look like, well, a geek.
>> --
>>   .~.  Jean-David Beyer          Registered Linux User 85642.
>>   /V\  PGP-Key: 9A2FC99A         Registered Machine   241939.
>>  /( )\ Shrewsbury, New Jersey    http://counter.li.org
>>  ^^-^^ 17:19:59 up 49 days, 11:13, 3 users, load average: 4.11, 3.25, 3.02

No, by all means leave it!!

It's just too funny to watch the "Linux registered user counter" cap
in the low 100'000 for the last FIVE years.

A *DIRECT* reflection of market penetration, is it not?

0
Reply otto2436 (617) 8/4/2005 6:33:05 AM

On Wed, 03 Aug 2005 14:14:27 -0700, Sally Vadi wrote:

> Same P4 3.0ghz Abit system with 1G of memory and Vista is MUCH FASTER
> than Suse9.3pro on the same system and this is a beta 1 loaded with
> debug code for sure. Windows also looks much better and every single
> piece of hardware on my system, including my wireless card worked
> fine.The same could not be said of Suse9.3proLinux.

Sure, sure.

> What little market, if any, that Linux has with regards to desktop
> systems is living on borrowed time. Windows Vista will only get better
> and faster and when the debug code is removed for the golden, Linux is
> going to become ancient history.

If you believe that, you'll believe anything. You've got to try a lot
harder than this if you want to convince anyone here.

> Linux had it's chance and Microsoft has remained for the most part
> silent while it developed Vista. Now that the beta 1 is here, it is
> very obvious that this is going to be a fantastic product.

Is it? Obvious to whom?

> So long desktop Linux, not that you ever had any marketshare anyhow.

Gordon Bennett, not another one of you idiot liars! Is there a factory
producing you or something? Get a life and stop repeating nonsense.

--
Kier

0
Reply vallon (8614) 8/4/2005 10:00:42 AM

The Ghost In The Machine wrote:

<snip unfair telebubby bashing>

> To be fair, 1 year olds probably love this show.

Yes they do. Both my kids loved it when they were 12-18 months. Before
ppl bash teletubbies they should consider its *target audience*. Yes it
is immature rubbish, but 100% of the audience it is aimed at is immature.
0
Reply phil_the_lick559 (67) 8/4/2005 11:36:58 AM

Sally Vadi (flatfish) wrote:

>(snip troll)

*plonk*

0
Reply chrisv (22841) 8/4/2005 1:10:52 PM

Op Wed, 03 Aug 2005 14:41:33 -0700, schreef Sally Vadi:

> Jean-David Beyer ha escrito:
>
>> Sally Vadi wrote:
>> > Same P4 3.0ghz Abit system with 1G of memory and Vista is MUCH FASTER
>> > than Suse9.3pro on the same system and this is a beta 1 loaded with
>> > debug code for sure. Windows also looks much better and every single
>> > piece of hardware on my system, including my wireless card worked
>> > fine.The same could not be said of Suse9.3proLinux.
>> >
>> > What little market, if any, that Linux has with regards to desktop
>> > systems is living on borrowed time. Windows Vista will only get better
>> > and faster and when the debug code is removed for the golden, Linux is
>> > going to become ancient history.
>> > Linux had it's chance and Microsoft has remained for the most part
>> > silent while it developed Vista. Now that the beta 1 is here, it is
>> > very obvious that this is going to be a fantastic product.
>> > So long desktop Linux, not that you ever had any marketshare anyhow.
>> > Sally Vadi
>> >
>> Thank you so much for your helpful post, Sally. It surely removes a burden
>> from my mind and will help me sleep better tonight. I only wish you had
>> posted this back when I was running Windows.
>>
>> In fact, I was running it until this morning on my old machine. But today,
>> it will not boot up very well. It starts with the McAfee VirusScan splash,
>> but it never gets out of there, and until it does, nothing else will run.
>> And if I kill it with Ctrl-Alt-Delete it kills VirusScan, but it does the
>> menu will not come up. Whenver I touch the task bar, all I get is an
>> hourglass. I tried to delete the McAfee stuff, (Change and Remove programs),
>> but it says setting up remove, or some such thing, and hangs forever.
>> Rebooting does not help. Nothing helps. What should I do now. I fear I will
>> have to wipe the hard drives and reinstall W-XP, my programs, and my data
>> from backup. Unfortunately, it crashed before I could make a backup.
>> Fortunately, that is a dual boot system and I put my critical data on a
>> FAT-32 file system, so I am backing the critical data up right now
>> with Linux.
>>
>> What is the approved Windows way to do this when I cannot even boot it
>> completely, oh wise one?
>
> Macafee is not Windows.
> Why is it that Linux users always seem to have these massive problems
> with Windows?

Um, regardless how you look at it: it's exclusively Windows users who have
problems with Windows.
As a long time Linux user, I can honestly say that for the past seven
years, I've only had a handful of problems with Windows, which - by mere
coincidence of course - is nearly the same number of times I have tried
using a Windows box during the period mentioned.

And if Windows weren't such a festering dunghill, there wouldn't be any
need for McAfee, Norton, and all those other band-aid products.

> Maybe you should have asked for advice before you
> installed a shit program like Macafee?
> Hmm?
> I guess you didn't have the time to ask because you were too busy
> constructing that geek code block that passes for your sig.
>
> BTW your "story" doesn't ring true.
>
> "Old machine", "was running up until this morning", "when I was running
> Windows"
> and you have no backup?

Making a backup of a Windows system is notoriously difficult. The best
most knowledgeable users manage, is backing up their own files. But that's
no good if Windows itself is totally hosed after IE chased down a foul
link.

> Sounds like pretty inept system administration to me, but then again it
> also sounds like a completely fabricated tall tale, at least based upon
> your own words.

Ah, I see, so Windows *does* take quite a bit of care, attention,
knowledge, and vigilance to use and administer properly (as if we haven't
known this for many years already ...). So, in other words: Windows is not
suitable for the average user. Well, thank you for sharing this with us.

Fortunately, a Linux box stays healthy with hardly any administration to
speak of, which makes it the perfect choice for the careless, lazy user
who whishes to save time, money, and trouble.

But then again, what's time to a Windows user? Oh wait, I know: those
long hours you have to put in to be able to pay for the OS + necessary
band-aids, and then of course those long, cosy (albeit ultimately
fruitless) hours attempting to administer, heal, and house-train your
sick little software puppy.

Richard Rasker

--
defenestrate:
1. to eject or throw (someone or something) from a window

Peter Keller wrote:

> On Wed, 03 Aug 2005 14:14:27 -0700, Sally Vadi wrote:
>
>> Same P4 3.0ghz Abit system with 1G of memory and Vista is MUCH FASTER
>> than Suse9.3pro on the same system and this is a beta 1 loaded with
>> debug code for sure. Windows also looks much better and every single
>> piece of hardware on my system, including my wireless card worked
>> fine.The same could not be said of Suse9.3proLinux.
>>
>> What little market, if any, that Linux has with regards to desktop
>> systems is living on borrowed time. Windows Vista will only get
>> better and faster and when the debug code is removed for the golden,
>> Linux is going to become ancient history.
>> Linux had it's chance and Microsoft has remained for the most part
>> silent while it developed Vista. Now that the beta 1 is here, it is
>> very obvious that this is going to be a fantastic product.
>> So long desktop Linux, not that you ever had any marketshare anyhow.
>> Sally Vadi
>
> Outside my house there are pleasant fields, hills and mountains.
> There is
> a valley with a bridge over it.  Legend has it that over the ages many
> people who have tried to cross the bridge came to sticky or violent
> ends.
> However, my next-door neighbour, who kept goats, never had any
> trouble.  I
> asked him his secret.  He said, "That bridge is perfectly safe if you
> take a goat with you wwhen you cross it"

hmmm.... and you think this is just legend, uh?
Take my tip - you just look after them thar goats, d'ya hear?;-)

Bill
0
Reply bbgruff (6626) 8/4/2005 2:39:33 PM

Then they should put it out for sale!

0
Reply ray65 (5422) 8/4/2005 2:50:22 PM

In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Phil Da Lick!
<phil_the_lick@hotmail.nospam.com>
 wrote
on Thu, 04 Aug 2005 12:36:58 +0100
<42f1fb74$0$24034$ed2619ec@ptn-nntp-reader01.plus.net>:
> The Ghost In The Machine wrote:
>
> <snip unfair telebubby bashing>
>
>> To be fair, 1 year olds probably love this show.
>
> Yes they do. Both my kids loved it when they were 12-18 months. Before
> ppl bash teletubbies they should consider its *target audience*. Yes it
> is immature rubbish, but 100% of the audience it is aimed at is immature.

I suppose I'm being unfair, but I'm not the only one. :-)
Fortunately there are other XP themes.  One of them
in particular evokes a deserted isle; another is
the hyperburst theme I mentioned earlier.  I'm a bit
space-happy, in case you've not noticed.

But then, there's the case of the little doggy.  What's the
point of wasting ~600 pixels on that mangy mutt just to
search for a document?

Or: Merlin the digital magician (didn't he change into
a plow horse?  Oh, wait, that was WB), Courtney the tour
guide in a red convertible (Hiiiiiiiiii!  I've got the top
down; let's go!) or Earl the banana-mouth on a surfboard.
(Is that smile even close to natural?  Dude, get back *in*
the Dell!)

I can live with a light bulb; light bulbs don't have
personality. :-) And I can command the doggy to walk into
the Blue Screen Of ... well, I guess in lieu of a sunset;
it's not quite dead as it can be brought back -- along
with Merlin, Courtney, and Earl.  (Fortunately not all
at once.)

And I can even see an aftermarket.  Microsoft Avatars Plus,
now with Barney!  Just the thing for a 4-year-old who
happens to have a thing for the Unnaturally Purple Thing,
I suppose.

I'm a little older than that, though. :-)  If they're going
to include this they might at least consider having a package
for the kiddies, and put it in there; it shouldn't be a default,
though I do suppose a lot of people like cute light brown puppies,
especially with balloon speech.

Maybe in Vista they'll have an astronaut.  "Houston,
we have a problem" takes on yet another meaning in that case...

Microsoft.  Where even searching for documentation might be dangerous
to one's mental health.  Goo goo goo.  Gaa gaa gah!  *splut*

#191, ewill3@earthlink.net
It's still legal to go .sigless.
0
Reply ewill5 (11076) 8/4/2005 4:00:03 PM

On Thu, 04 Aug 2005 12:36:58 +0100, Phil Da Lick! wrote:

> The Ghost In The Machine wrote:
>
> <snip unfair telebubby bashing>
>
>> To be fair, 1 year olds probably love this show.
>
> Yes they do. Both my kids loved it when they were 12-18 months. Before
> ppl bash teletubbies they should consider its *target audience*. Yes it
> is immature rubbish, but 100% of the audience it is aimed at is immature.

Heh, I guess that explains Windows as well then.

--
rapskat -  12:20:07 up 7 days, 21:35,  5 users,  load average: 1.13, 1.11, 1.16
        "Bother," said Pooh as he struggled with sendmail.cf, "it never

0
Reply rapskat2 (2035) 8/4/2005 4:21:24 PM

On Wed, 03 Aug 2005 22:19:23 GMT, Robert Newson
<ReapNewsB@bullet3.fsnet.oc.ku> wrote:

>The question I have: why is an extra program like Macafee (sic) necessary on
>such a secure and safe operating system as Windows?

ROFLOL-You really got be kidding.
I have avg, Spybot s&d, spyware blaster, outpost firewall,
spywareguard, lavasoft adaware.

There is a major problem with wga.   It is detecting legal version
windows as illegal versions.

Greg Ro
0
Reply webworm11 (23) 8/4/2005 5:38:23 PM

Richard Rasker poked his little head through the XP firewall and said:

> Ah, I see, so Windows *does* take quite a bit of care, attention,
> knowledge, and vigilance to use and administer properly (as if we haven't
> known this for many years already ...). So, in other words: Windows is not
> suitable for the average user. Well, thank you for sharing this with us.
>
> Fortunately, a Linux box stays healthy with hardly any administration to
> speak of, which makes it the perfect choice for the careless, lazy user
> who whishes to save time, money, and trouble.

I installed Debian on an HP Pavilion for a friend, man, it must be about
two years ago now.  The family mentions it now and then, some of them
like it, some don't like it, but it gets used daily.

--
Tux rox!
0

In comp.os.linux.advocacy, GregRo
<webworm11@lycos.com>
 wrote
on Thu, 04 Aug 2005 12:38:23 -0500
<3lf23eF12bvs9U1@individual.net>:
> On Wed, 03 Aug 2005 22:19:23 GMT, Robert Newson
> <ReapNewsB@bullet3.fsnet.oc.ku> wrote:
>
>>The question I have: why is an extra program like Macafee (sic) necessary on
>>such a secure and safe operating system as Windows?
>
> ROFLOL-You really got be kidding.
> I have avg, Spybot s&d, spyware blaster, outpost firewall,
> spywareguard, lavasoft adaware.
>
> There is a major problem with wga.   It is detecting legal version
> windows as illegal versions.

What makes you think that's a problem?  :-)  For all we know
that's *intentional*.

[1] Windows on box.
[2] Box gets upgraded.
[3] WPA fails.
[4] Another copy of Windows on box.

Repeat as necessary.

Yeah, there's a nice, honest way of making money....not...

Personally, I'd hope they fix it soon; this sort of thing
will probably increase the load on their customer service
no end.  (Assuming the victims don't simply switch to
Linux in the interim, after hearing nice things about this
"brand new OS that's better, cheaper, faster...".  Well,
OK, maybe "brand new" is now a bit of an overstatement;
Linux has been out for 13-14 years now, in some form -- but
apparently there are still people out there who don't know
about it yet.)

#191, ewill3@earthlink.net
It's still legal to go .sigless.
0
Reply ewill5 (11076) 8/4/2005 7:00:05 PM

OK wrote:

> It's just too funny to watch the "Linux registered user counter" cap
> in the low 100'000 for the last FIVE years.
>
> A *DIRECT* reflection of market penetration, is it not?

Yep, it is not a direct reflection of market penetration...it's a direct
reflection of the number of people who have voluntarily registered as linux
users.  I'm a Linux user, but haven't registered.  Similarly, the Windows
sales are not a direct indiction of market penetration, because that assumes
that any machine that gets sold with Windows will stay that way - it's
easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle[1] than trying to get
the [OEM price] refund for the unused copy of Windows, that some people
don't bother and just stick Linux on it.

[1] Stick the camel in a blender first... ^_^

0
Reply ReapNewsB (1408) 8/4/2005 7:58:11 PM

The Ghost In The Machine wrote:

> I suppose it could be worse, but I don't know what Barney,
> The Violently Purple Dinosaur In League With Bill Gates,
> and that other dinosaur (it's green and looks vaguely like
> a stegosaurus) sings and dances in front of at the start
> of their show.  Maybe it's just as well; TeleTubbies don't
> sing, or if they do, it's more tolerable than "I wuv you,
> you wuv me; let's make everything sugary..." ;-)

Sorry to disappoint you - they *DO* sing and had a record (in the charts I
think).  It went along the lines of:

...Tinky Winkie, Dipsy, La-la, Po,
Teletubbies, teletubbies, teletubbies, say eh-oh...

(Anyone got a 12-18 month old they can lend me: I need a reason to know
that...oh wait, I've see XP...)

0
Reply ReapNewsB (1408) 8/4/2005 8:03:06 PM

Sally Vadi wrote:

> Same P4 3.0ghz Abit system with 1G of memory and Vista is MUCH FASTER
> than Suse9.3pro on the same system and this is a beta 1 loaded with
> debug code for sure. Windows also looks much better and every single
> piece of hardware on my system, including my wireless card worked
> fine.The same could not be said of Suse9.3proLinux.
>
> What little market, if any, that Linux has with regards to desktop
> systems is living on borrowed time. Windows Vista will only get better
> and faster and when the debug code is removed for the golden, Linux is
> going to become ancient history.
> Linux had it's chance and Microsoft has remained for the most part
> silent while it developed Vista. Now that the beta 1 is here, it is
> very obvious that this is going to be a fantastic product.
> So long desktop Linux, not that you ever had any marketshare anyhow.
> Sally Vadi

Windopes still can't beat a 1GHz Linux PC.
You can write to HD 2Gb from network whilst
at the same time read from the same HD and write 2Gb
(14,000+ files) to DVD, and still listen to uninterrupted
music and still have only 75% CPU utlization!!

BWAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!

Try with liveCDs like Knoppix and Mepis before
wasting your time and money on windopes.
http://www.livecdlist.com/
http://www.livecdnews.com/

0
Reply website_has_email2 (2093) 8/4/2005 8:07:18 PM

The Ghost In The Machine <ewill@sirius.tg00suus7038.net> writes:

< snip >

> I suppose it could be worse, but I don't know what Barney,
> The Violently Purple Dinosaur In League With Bill Gates,
> and that other dinosaur (it's green and looks vaguely like
> a stegosaurus)

That's Baby Bop.

Please kill me.

< snip >

--
Tukla, Squeaker of Chew Toys
Official Mascot of Alt.Atheism

In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Tukla Ratte
<tukla_ratte@tukla.net>
 wrote
on 04 Aug 2005 16:13:50 -0500
<87k6j1o169.fsf@stitch.tukla.net>:
> The Ghost In The Machine <ewill@sirius.tg00suus7038.net> writes:
>
> < snip >
>
>> I suppose it could be worse, but I don't know what Barney,
>> The Violently Purple Dinosaur In League With Bill Gates,
>> and that other dinosaur (it's green and looks vaguely like
>> a stegosaurus)
>
> That's Baby Bop.

Oh, right, how could I forget?  :-)  Then again, why would we
want to remember that?  Yee-uch.

> Please kill me.

Naaah.  Just switch it off and back away from the TV, slowly,
with your hands up and your brain still on... :-)

(If one switches off one's brain instead, we'll just have to go to
Plan B, which is a bit drastic.  I won't go into details here
but they involve a light bulb, a small piece of chewing gum,
tanning lotion, and a sugar-free doughnut.  Caution: one may
find that one's kissed a duck in one's undies; not a lot one
can do about that.)

#191, ewill3@earthlink.net
It's still legal to go .sigless.
0
Reply ewill5 (11076) 8/5/2005 1:00:08 AM

On Thu, 04 Aug 2005 15:39:33 +0100, B Gruff wrote:

> Peter Keller wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 03 Aug 2005 14:14:27 -0700, Sally Vadi wrote:
>>
>>> Same P4 3.0ghz Abit system with 1G of memory and Vista is MUCH FASTER
>>> than Suse9.3pro on the same system and this is a beta 1 loaded with
>>> debug code for sure. Windows also looks much better and every single
>>> piece of hardware on my system, including my wireless card worked
>>> fine.The same could not be said of Suse9.3proLinux.
>>>
>>> What little market, if any, that Linux has with regards to desktop
>>> systems is living on borrowed time. Windows Vista will only get
>>> better and faster and when the debug code is removed for the golden,
>>> Linux is going to become ancient history.
>>> Linux had it's chance and Microsoft has remained for the most part
>>> silent while it developed Vista. Now that the beta 1 is here, it is
>>> very obvious that this is going to be a fantastic product.
>>> So long desktop Linux, not that you ever had any marketshare anyhow.
>>> Sally Vadi
>>
>> Outside my house there are pleasant fields, hills and mountains.
>> There is
>> a valley with a bridge over it.  Legend has it that over the ages many
>> people who have tried to cross the bridge came to sticky or violent
>> ends.
>> However, my next-door neighbour, who kept goats, never had any
>> trouble.  I
>> asked him his secret.  He said, "That bridge is perfectly safe if you
>> take a goat with you wwhen you cross it"
>
> hmmm.... and you think this is just legend, uh?
> Take my tip - you just look after them thar goats, d'ya hear?;-)
>
> Bill

Oh yes!  I will as if my life depends on it!

Peter

--
If you are careful enough in life, nothing bad -- or
good -- will ever happen to you.

0
Reply muzh (15) 8/5/2005 9:42:03 AM

Robert Newson <ReapNewsB@bullet3.fsnet.oc.ku> writes:

> OK wrote:

> > It's just too funny to watch the "Linux registered user counter" cap
> > in the low 100'000 for the last FIVE years.
> > A *DIRECT* reflection of market penetration, is it not?
>

> Yep, it is not a direct reflection of market penetration...it's a
> direct reflection of the number of people who have voluntarily
> registered as linux users.  I'm a Linux user, but haven't registered.

Me, neither.  I'd never even heard of the site until a troll brought it
up a few months ago.

> Similarly, the Windows sales are not a direct indiction of market
> penetration, because that assumes that any machine that gets sold with
> Windows will stay that way

Plus, MS counts the units that OEMs and retailers purchase as a sale,
regardless of whether or not those units are ever installed on a computer.

> - it's easier for a camel to pass through
> the eye of a needle[1] than trying to get the [OEM price] refund for
> the unused copy of Windows, that some people don't bother and just
> stick Linux on it.

Yep.  I've got three Linux boxes that are "officially" Windows
machines.

> [1] Stick the camel in a blender first... ^_^

With or without ice?

--
Tukla, Squeaker of Chew Toys
Official Mascot of Alt.Atheism
There are too many stupid people and nobody to eat them.
   - Carlos Mencia
0
Reply tukla_ratte (438) 8/5/2005 4:59:48 PM
comp.os.linux.misc 33372 articles. 19 followers. Post

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

Whoops, Windows Vista already #2 behind XP.... Linux still well below 1%.
Wow, my crystal ball really is working well: a month ago I predicted that Vista will reach the #2 spot in the next four weeks. Looks like it's done: http://marketshare.hitslink.com/report.aspx?qprid=2 I predicted 4.75% by extrapolation, and the actual number is 4.52%, not too bad an estimation. As a matter of fact Vista's progression is very close to perfectly linear so it's easy to predict the next score, which should be around 5.5% next month. http://marketshare.hitslink.com/report.aspx?qprid=5&qpcustom=Windows+Vista Linux, in the meantime, is still around 0.7%: http://m...

Linux share is 1/3 of Windows Vista?
Here I am looking at something http://www.w3counter.com/globalstats.php?date=2008-02-29 it says there that Windows Vista desktop share is 6.48%, and Linux share is 2.01%. What this means is that, if true, Linux is 1/3 of market share of Windows Vista, which is not too shabby. Note that I personally doubt that the above stats are representative of geenral population, as I am seeing about 0.7-0.9% on my site algebra.com. i Ignoramus12225 wrote: > Here I am looking at something > > http://www.w3counter.com/globalstats.php?date=2008-02-29 > > it says there that Windows Vis...

Linux Ubuntu Beryl Superior to Windows Vista Aero
See for yourself. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xC5uEe5OzNQ Bet it will keep the Wintrolls up all night thinking. Heh! -- HPT High Plains Thumper wrote: > See for yourself. <snipped> I am looking for you High Balls come on out, because you're trying to grow your skin back, and I am looking to do me another skinning. wrote: > High Plains Thumper wrote: >> See for yourself. > > <snipped> > > I am looking for you High Balls come on out, because you're trying to > grow your skin back, and I am looking to do me another skinning. Hmm. Is ...

[News] Ubuntu Linux Already Better Than Windows Vista
Danger: Linux Advocacy Ahead ,----[ Quote ] | Occasionally I see articles about whether Linux is ready to compete | with Windows on the desktop. But it's become obvious to me that | Linux is already a better operating system. That's purely on | the merits--features, reliability, and ease of use--and even | before you throw in the fact that Linux is free and has more | accessible support. `---- http://www.maxbarry.com/2007/04/19/news.html Two ZDNet bloggers who constantly bash Linux have just installed the latest Ubuntu. They seem to like it! Dell's Vista snub has sent waves as...

[News] Windows Vista to Prove Superiority of OSS/Linux
Windows Vista Could Prove Open Source More Secure ,----[ Quote ] | Last week Redmond released security patches for Windows Vista Beta, and | the media was all over it, pointing to the fact that it was the first | time Microsoft had patched a beta release. | | [...] | | For the first time, Thompson says, users will be able to determine for | themselves whether completely closed source software development or | open source software development produces a more secure OS. And if | open source comes out on top, Redmond won?t be able to look anywhere | but in the mirror. `---- http://www.itbusi...

[News] [Rival] Windows Vista = Beta, XP = 98SE, Linux Benefits
Microsoft’s painful blister: Windows Vista ,----[ Quote ] | Just days away from Microsoft’s first year anniversary of Vista Business RTM | on Nov 30, the last year has felt like Vista has been in a perpetual beta, | just like all those Web 2.0 sites. `---- http://www.itwire.com/content/view/15532/1105/ Windows XP: The New Windows 98SE ,----[ Quote ] | hether we like it or not, Microsoft is going to continue to be just fine. No | thanks to Vista mind you, rather because of what I call the 'New Coke | Syndrome.' When it comes to offering a new version of your OS, offer one tha...

[News] Linux 2.6.23 Superior to Windows Vista and Server 2008
http://widefox.pbwiki.com/Kernel+New+Features+Comparison (Best viewed in monospace with tabs enabled) [Table] First on Linux [quote with earlier OS's tacit] OS Linux Vista Server 2.6.23 Vista 2008 Kernel 2.6.23 NT 6.0.6000 NT 6.0.6001 CPU scheduler CFS Y N N Virtualisation - Xen Y N N Paravirtualisation - lguest Y N N Analog Devices Blackfin architecture Y N N forward receive timeout recovery (RFC4138) Y N N TCP congestion avoidance YeAH Y N N TCP congestion avoidance Illinois Y N N flash partitioning/management Y N? N? Dynamic ticks Y N N UFS2 ...

[News] Windows Vista Service Pack 1 Give More Reasons to Switch to GNU/Linux
Service Pack 1 for Windows Vista not for pirates ,----[ Quote ] | Although, unlike previous Windows versions, Vista is not available as an | activation-free version, a number of more or less effective methods were | quickly found to run Vista without activation. However, this is soon to end. | According to Microsoft, Service Pack 1 for Windows Vista closes two | vulnerabilities which previously enabled operation of Vista without a | license. `---- http://www.heise.de/english/newsticker/news/100006/from/rss09 On the other hand: WGA anti-piracy mode for Vista softened thanks to Lin...

[News] Introducing Windows Vista Escapees to GNU/Linux Distributions, YDL 5.0.1 Released
What's a [Linux] newbie to do? ,----[ Quote ] | Many more people are becoming interested in GNU/Linux, as even | seasoned Microsoft users and advocates are beginning to question | the issues surrounding the latest operating system from Redmond. | The variety of GNU/Linux distributions, while a good thing, can | make a difficult time for a user, especially a new user. There | are many desktop and server distributions, such as Red Hat, SUSE, | Debian and Fedora. There are also many derivatives, like CentOS, | Ubuntu and Mepis, as well as specialized distributions like Knoppix, | DSL and Kn...

Firefox use is 4x that of IE, GNU/Linux use is 4x Vista, 1/2 of all Windows OSes on my new website!!
The crawlers are starting to read my new website now, and hits are increasing a lot. Windows OS = 64.1 %, Linux = 29.7 %, almost HALF of all Windows OSes, and THREE time that of Vista! IE = 13.8%, .... few use it thesedays, who can blame them ? Operating Systems Versions Hits Percent Windows 16494 64.1 % Windows XP 12612 49 % Windows NT 64 0.2 % Windows Vista (LongHorn) 2834 11 % Windows 98 31 0.1 % Windows 2008 368 1.4 % Windows 2003 273 1 % ...

Reports on Linux with mono 1.1.1 and Windows .NET
What do you suggest? Thanks. ...

Vista-Beta-Windows-7-Beta ?
What a con. If a FLOSS author writes a brand new program, he/she gives its a 'alpha' designation. Later when it's more stable, it may go to beta, then a non beta release number. Along comes Microsoft and gives a 1996 release of Windows Vista a 'polish' and calls it Windows 7 beta! Talk about a con. It's *JUST* Vista, with most of the problems of Vista, and most of the lack of hardware support of Vista etc. So are Microsoft saying that Vista never achieved release status and is still in beta or what ? I think Microsoft should have gone for the shiny ultra new gambit...

[News] [Linux] New User Very Impressed with Linux and Linux Gaming (Not So with Windows Vista)
Linux FPS [PCLinuxOS] ,----[ Quote ] | A few weeks ago I installed PCLinuxOS 2007 and I'm very impressed | with it. One of the things I like is their package manager--everything | is there, you don't need to add any extra repositories (a popular | distro that starts with "U" infuriates me with all the mucking | around you have to do), and there are never any issues with | unresolved dependencies. | | Anyway, last week I downloaded through the package manager a | game called Sauerbraten. It's a great multi player FPS. It's | completely free and very entertainin...

[News] Wine Reaches 1.1.1, GNU/Linux Runs in Windows

lib/ruby/1.8/e2mmap.rb:51: Use Ruby 1.1 (RuntimeError)
Hi I am trying to start up my application on Windows Vista with Ruby 1.8.6 and the Oniguruma-Patch applied. It results in this error: lib/ruby/1.8/e2mmap.rb:51: Use Ruby 1.1 (RuntimeError) the full error message is: http://pastebin.com/U1T3SFK7 The app runs just fine on Linux with Ruby 1.8.6. Any hints are highly appreciated. Best Zeno -- Posted via http://www.ruby-forum.com/. It seems that lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/gd2-1.1.1/lib/gd2/canvas.rb:23 requires lib/ruby/1.8/matrix.rb:23 and that calls require "e2mmap.rb" and that will throw th...

[News] [Linux] Education: Linux is Supported, but Windows Vista is Not
It runs on OS X, now it runs on Ubuntu... Still no Vista ,----[ Quote ] | Keep up the good work, Canonical (and Dell, and anyone else pushing hard | on the open source movement) - I'm writing this in Kubuntu now and I'm | about to start my homework in Maple 11. That won't be happening under | Vista for some time. `---- http://education.zdnet.com/?p=1030 This is from one of the most anti-Linux bloggers in ZDNet. Also on education and Linux: Technology adoption and force majeur ,----[ Quote ] | It's also what's happening with Linux in schools. Read those BECTA | report...

Windows-to-Linux roadmap: Part 1. Thinking in Linux
http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/linux/library/l-roadmap1.html Differences and similarities Chris Walden (d....@us....com), e-business Architect [quote] Linux is different from Windows Even though there are several similarities between the technologies, there are some key differences between the style of working in Windows and working in Linux. These differences are subtle until you get used to them, but they are key concepts to thinking in Linux. Linux is built for the network more than printing When Windows was first built, it was mostly a paper world. One of the beautiful things...

Kerberos for Windows 3.1 Beta 1 is available

[News] [Linux] Vista Out the Windows, GNU/Linux on the Desktop
Assembling the Linux PC ,----[ Quote ] | The Vista Out My Windows | | You may recall that I had a dual-boot setup with WinXP SP2 on the other | hard drive. Well, after I had the 8800GTS purring like a kitten under | Linux, I decided to work on the WinXP side. Windows should be easy, | right? After all, we're always fed that Windows has tons of seamless | hardware support... | | Wrong. This was the recipe for disaster. I have yet to get the | WinXP partition to boot, even in Safe Mode. Safe Mode should | bypass any driver compatibility issues by loading generic | drivers. The net res...

Installing Ruby 1.9.1 Binary on Windows Vista
I've searched and only found one topic which did not have an answer or explanation on how to install Ruby 1.9.1 Binary on windows. Is there a "tutorial" or "documentation" on how to correctly install the binary version on windows? I find it hard to believe that some type of documentation would not be available. There is no one-click installer for 1.9.1 so I don't mind doing it the old fashioned way if I knew how to do so properly. Thanks. -- Posted via http://www.ruby-forum.com/. On May 27, 1:03=A0pm, Joel Dezenzio <jdezen...@gmail.com> wrote: > I...

[News] Mobile Firefox 1.1 Targets Linux But Not Windows

ANN: kForth 1.4.1 beta for x86-linux
A beta version of kForth 1.4.1 for x86-linux systems is available for testing. Please see the link below. http://ccreweb.org/software/kforth/kforth.html Some standard benchmark results are given for comparison with the earlier version (1.3.2). On average, the new "regular" kforth is about 4% faster, while kforth-fast has a substantial speed improvement of about 18%, compared to the earlier version. Note that version 1.4.0 has been available for ppc-osx systems for some time now, but the benchmarks given below do not apply to the ppc system. David Williams has separately publ...

[News] [Linux] Linux Kernel Now Supports Windows Vista Through KVM
Linux: Improved KVM Performance, Vista Support ,----[ Quote ] | Avi Kivity announced significant performance improvements and | support for running 32-bit Windows Vista as a guest within the | latest release of KVM. `---- http://kerneltrap.org/node/8148 A Guide to Virtualization on Mandriva Linux 2007 Spring ,----[ Quote ] | Maybe you need to run some software that only runs in a different | operating system. Mandriva Linux 2007 Spring comes with a range | of virtualization options that can help. `---- http://club.mandriva.com/xwiki/bin/view/Main/SpringVirtualizationGuide Related: Inte...

[News] [Rival] Windows Vista is Already Rotting, Windows Business Falls