f



Writing an avi file with mplayer.

Mplayer has an extensive man page.

I took a movie w/ my camera turned to better contain the scene.

While I'm able to play it turned 'round the right way with

"mplayer -vf rotate=1  myfile.avi"  

just fine, I would like to write it out to a new file to skip that step in the future.

"mplayer -vf rotate=1 myfile.avi > test.avi"

did not work.

I know I'll find it eventually, but I'm hoping one of you guys already knows the right command line magic off the top of his head.

I'm using mplayer just because; I'm open to a better or different tool.

pH
0
pureheart
10/18/2016 10:49:09 PM
comp.os.linux.misc 33599 articles. 1 followers. amosa69 (78) is leader. Post Follow

8 Replies
514 Views

Similar Articles

[PageSpeed] 3

pureheart@pacbell.net wrote:
> Mplayer has an extensive man page.
> 
> I took a movie w/ my camera turned to better contain the scene.
> While I'm able to play it turned 'round the right way with
> "mplayer -vf rotate=1  myfile.avi"  
> just fine, I would like to write it out to a new file to skip that
> step in the future.
> "mplayer -vf rotate=1 myfile.avi > test.avi"
> did not work.

You are looking for "mencoder" (the companion to mplayer that encodes
video).

As for the exact command line, I'd have to dig through the extensive
manpage as well.
0
Rich
10/18/2016 11:11:12 PM
On Tuesday, October 18, 2016 at 4:11:34 PM UTC-7, Rich wrote:
> purll.net wrote:
> > Mplayer has an extensive man page.
> > 
> > I took a movie w/ my camera turned to better contain the scene.
> > While I'm able to play it turned 'round the right way with
> > "mplayer -vf rotate=1  myfile.avi"  
> > just fine, I would like to write it out to a new file to skip that
> > step in the future.
> > "mplayer -vf rotate=1 myfile.avi > test.avi"
> > did not work.
> 
> You are looking for "mencoder" (the companion to mplayer that encodes
> video).
> 
> As for the exact command line, I'd have to dig through the extensive
> manpage as well.

Thanks for the reply.  I did figure out that mencoder will probably be involved 
somehow (probably piping thingsover to it) and got that installed.

I'll continue wading through the man pages as time allows. Thanks!
pH

0
pureheart
10/19/2016 1:16:59 AM
--=-=-=
Content-Type: text/plain
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

pureheart@pacbell.net [2016-10-18 15:49:09-07] wrote:

> I took a movie w/ my camera turned to better contain the scene.
>
> While I'm able to play it turned 'round the right way with
>
> "mplayer -vf rotate=3D1  myfile.avi"=20=20
>
> just fine, I would like to write it out to a new file to skip that step
> in the future.

I'd rotate and reencode the file with ffmpeg, something like this:

    ffmpeg -i input.avi -vf transpose=3D1 -c:v libx264 -crf 20 \
        -c:a copy -f avi output.avi

=2D-=20
/// Teemu Likonen   - .-..   <https://github.com/tlikonen> //
// PGP: 4E10 55DC 84E9 DFF6 13D7 8557 719D 69D3 2453 9450 ///

--=-=-=
Content-Type: application/pgp-signature; name="signature.asc"

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v2.0.26 (GNU/Linux)

iQEcBAEBCAAGBQJYBwrHAAoJEJM6NQQefq1RJ+cH/Rohfc2TYBHDGWmKG9GkeKDn
T0OgpHy6+K4L6JTPk28UWmWTzGp5w7TwNyMOczILN4rtpdZLwdJX7nD5G66d8V7D
GT09nkdXzQPJBneqS9WuOZ7wMh+16ToJ5aOrf9fxKb3SB7GbZnbUi9Lp2HUdB0Ip
DyVnp1EOLfUWylJVDbJfhbzDaPBCehCQUGrBaUDhAloCnXzB7XSXzAZdRcaC1/v8
9C+43cmbuDxFrbDjrhpYtVEnJFO+j9OkybBYqL7QC+65vMeWPHKdOG16vt1pR5Hn
d3AWkdZYmWAaCi3GRlddyLYtP+Ii3mbaQOfzNJeCBbpkRQIyzJfz4sv41iioKGA=
=Q8sM
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----
--=-=-=--
0
Teemu
10/19/2016 5:55:15 AM
On Tuesday, October 18, 2016 at 10:55:22 PM UTC-7, Teemu Likonen wrote:
> purehet [2016-10-18 15:49:09-07] wrote:
> 
> > I took a movie w/ my camera turned to better contain the scene.
> >
> > While I'm able to play it turned 'round the right way with
> >
> > "mplayer -vf rotate=1  myfile.avi"  
> >
> > just fine, I would like to write it out to a new file to skip that step
> > in the future.
> 
> I'd rotate and reencode the file with ffmpeg, something like this:
> 
>     ffmpeg -i input.avi -vf transpose=1 -c:v libx264 -crf 20 \
>         -c:a copy -f avi output.avi
> 
> -- 
> /// Teemu Likonen   - .-..   <https://github.com/tlikonen> //
> // PGP: 4E10 55DC 84E9 DFF6 13D7 8557 719D 69D3 2453 9450 ///

Thank-you very much for this.
I'll get ahold of ffmpeg if I don't already have it and let you know how it all works out.

comp.os.linux to the rescue (again!).
pH in Aptos, CA

0
pureheart
10/19/2016 10:48:16 PM
On Wednesday, October 19, 2016 at 3:48:29 PM UTC-7, pell.net wrote:
> On Tuesday, October 18, 2016 at 10:55:22 PM UTC-7, Teemu Likonen wrote:
> > purehet [2016-10-18 15:49:09-07] wrote:
> > 
> > > I took a movie w/ my camera turned to better contain the scene.
> > >
> > > While I'm able to play it turned 'round the right way with
> > >
> > > "mplayer -vf rotate=1  myfile.avi"  
> > >
> > > just fine, I would like to write it out to a new file to skip that step
> > > in the future.
> > 
> > I'd rotate and reencode the file with ffmpeg, something like this:
> > 
> >     ffmpeg -i input.avi -vf transpose=1 -c:v libx264 -crf 20 \
> >         -c:a copy -f avi output.avi
> > 
> > -- 
> > /// Teemu Likonen   - .-..   <https://github.com/tlikonen> //
> > // PGP: 4E10 55DC 84E9 DFF6 13D7 8557 719D 69D3 2453 9450 ///
> 
> Thank-you very much for this.
> I'll get ahold of ffmpeg if I don't already have it and let you know how it all works out.
> 
> comp.os.linux to the rescue (again!).
> pH in Aptos, CA
 Well, rats.  Could not find ffmpeg to install.  But this mencoder line did the trick:
mencoder -vf rotate=1 mvi_1626.avi  -o test.avi -oac pcm -ovc lavc

Thanks, folks.
Pureheart in Aptos
WB6DWP
0
pureheart
10/21/2016 3:30:58 AM
On 21/10/16 04:30, pureheart@pacbell.net wrote:
> On Wednesday, October 19, 2016 at 3:48:29 PM UTC-7, pell.net wrote:
>> On Tuesday, October 18, 2016 at 10:55:22 PM UTC-7, Teemu Likonen wrote:
>>> purehet [2016-10-18 15:49:09-07] wrote:
>>>
>>>> I took a movie w/ my camera turned to better contain the scene.
>>>>
>>>> While I'm able to play it turned 'round the right way with
>>>>
>>>> "mplayer -vf rotate=1  myfile.avi"
>>>>
>>>> just fine, I would like to write it out to a new file to skip that step
>>>> in the future.
>>>
>>> I'd rotate and reencode the file with ffmpeg, something like this:
>>>
>>>     ffmpeg -i input.avi -vf transpose=1 -c:v libx264 -crf 20 \
>>>         -c:a copy -f avi output.avi
>>>
>>> --
>>> /// Teemu Likonen   - .-..   <https://github.com/tlikonen> //
>>> // PGP: 4E10 55DC 84E9 DFF6 13D7 8557 719D 69D3 2453 9450 ///
>>
>> Thank-you very much for this.
>> I'll get ahold of ffmpeg if I don't already have it and let you know how it all works out.
>>
>> comp.os.linux to the rescue (again!).
>> pH in Aptos, CA
>  Well, rats.  Could not find ffmpeg to install.  But this mencoder line did the trick:
> mencoder -vf rotate=1 mvi_1626.avi  -o test.avi -oac pcm -ovc lavc
>
> Thanks, folks.
> Pureheart in Aptos
> WB6DWP
>

ffmpeg has gone off the reservation, and you need to download it from 
elsewhere.



-- 
To ban Christmas, simply give turkeys the vote.
0
The
10/21/2016 4:17:20 AM
On Thu, 20 Oct 2016 20:30:58 -0700 (PDT), pureheart@pacbell.net wrote:
>
> On Wednesday, October 19, 2016 at 3:48:29 PM UTC-7, pell.net wrote:
>> 
>> Thank-you very much for this.
>> I'll get ahold of ffmpeg if I don't already have it and let you know how it all works out.
>> 
>> comp.os.linux to the rescue (again!).
>> pH in Aptos, CA
>  Well, rats.  Could not find ffmpeg to install.  But this mencoder line did the trick:
> mencoder -vf rotate=1 mvi_1626.avi  -o test.avi -oac pcm -ovc lavc

ffmpeg is called (well not exactly the same but close) avconf on certain
Linux distributions.
-- 
Andreas
You know you are a redneck if
if the fifth grade is referred to as "your senior year."
0
Andreas
10/21/2016 6:00:19 PM
Groovy hepcat Rich was jivin' in comp.os.linux.misc on Wed, 19 Oct 2016
10:11 am. It's a cool scene! Dig it.

> pureheart@pacbell.net wrote:
>> Mplayer has an extensive man page.
>> 
>> I took a movie w/ my camera turned to better contain the scene.
>> While I'm able to play it turned 'round the right way with
>> "mplayer -vf rotate=1  myfile.avi"
>> just fine, I would like to write it out to a new file to skip that
>> step in the future.
>> "mplayer -vf rotate=1 myfile.avi > test.avi"
>> did not work.
> 
> You are looking for "mencoder" (the companion to mplayer that encodes
> video).
> 
> As for the exact command line, I'd have to dig through the extensive
> manpage as well.

  Try the following:

mencoder -vf rotate=1 input.avi -o output.avi

-- 


----- Dig the NEW and IMPROVED news sig!! -----


-------------- Shaggy was here! ---------------
              Ain't I'm a dawg!!
0
Peter
10/24/2016 2:25:15 AM
Reply: