Yum through proxy broken? (FC5)

Has anyone gotten YUM to work through a non-authenticating proxy on FC5?
  It works fine on FC4, but suddenly broke with FC5.

Setting "http_proxy" in environment doesn't work.
Setting "http_proxy" in the yum.conf doesn't work.
Running as "root" (instead of sudo) doesn't help.

Works fine on direct connection, but behind a proxy, it just hangs.
I've Googled and found lots of other people with the same problem, but
no working solutions.

Ideas?

--
   Chuck Tryon
0

In comp.os.linux.misc Charles Tryon <chucktryon@yahoo.com>:
> Has anyone gotten YUM to work through a non-authenticating proxy on FC5?
>  It works fine on FC4, but suddenly broke with FC5.

> Setting "http_proxy" in environment doesn't work.
> Setting "http_proxy" in the yum.conf doesn't work.
> Running as "root" (instead of sudo) doesn't help.

> Works fine on direct connection, but behind a proxy, it just hangs.
> I've Googled and found lots of other people with the same problem, but
> no working solutions.

# export http_proxy="http://<proxy.domain.tld>:<proxy_port>"
# yum search kernel
 [ bunch of stuff]
sysklogd.x86_64                          1.4.1-36 installed
Matched from:
System logging and kernel message trapping daemons.

# lsb_release -d

# yum --version
2.6.0

Works like a charm, there's no problem with yum, looks more like
people had problems with setting thing up probably, check your
proxy log for hints.

#bofh excuse 435: Internet shut down due to maintenance
0
USENET22 (5551)
4/10/2006 4:28:46 AM
Michael Heiming wrote:
> In comp.os.linux.misc Charles Tryon <chucktryon@yahoo.com>:
>> Has anyone gotten YUM to work through a non-authenticating proxy on FC5?
>>  It works fine on FC4, but suddenly broke with FC5.
>
>> Setting "http_proxy" in environment doesn't work.
>> Setting "http_proxy" in the yum.conf doesn't work.
>> Running as "root" (instead of sudo) doesn't help.
>
>> Works fine on direct connection, but behind a proxy, it just hangs.
>> I've Googled and found lots of other people with the same problem, but
>> no working solutions.
>
> # export http_proxy="http://<proxy.domain.tld>:<proxy_port>"
> # yum search kernel
>  [ bunch of stuff]
> sysklogd.x86_64                          1.4.1-36 installed
> Matched from:
> System logging and kernel message trapping daemons.
>
> # lsb_release -d
>
> # yum --version
> 2.6.0
>
> Works like a charm, there's no problem with yum, looks more like
> people had problems with setting thing up probably, check your
> proxy log for hints.

I think I found how to make it work.  When I put this same environment
settings in my user account and use "sudo yum", it still hangs up trying
to get out to the servers.  HOWEVER, if I put the identical setting in
the "root" account, and do a "su - root" rather than sudo, then it works.

I'm not sure what is going on under the hood, since it used to work fine
with "sudo", but I am guessing someone may have bumped up the security
checks internal to yum, or there may even be a conflict with SELinux checks.

In any event, it looks like it works if (and only if) you run it logged
in as root.

--
   Chuck Tryon

0
chucktryon (70)
4/11/2006 1:47:04 PM
Michael Heiming wrote:
> In comp.os.linux.misc Charles Tryon <chucktryon@yahoo.com>:
>> Has anyone gotten YUM to work through a non-authenticating proxy on FC5?
>>  It works fine on FC4, but suddenly broke with FC5.
>
>> Setting "http_proxy" in environment doesn't work.
>> Setting "http_proxy" in the yum.conf doesn't work.
>> Running as "root" (instead of sudo) doesn't help.
>
>> Works fine on direct connection, but behind a proxy, it just hangs.
>> I've Googled and found lots of other people with the same problem, but
>> no working solutions.
>
> # export http_proxy="http://<proxy.domain.tld>:<proxy_port>"
> # yum search kernel
>  [ bunch of stuff]
> sysklogd.x86_64                          1.4.1-36 installed
> Matched from:
> System logging and kernel message trapping daemons.
>
> # lsb_release -d
>
> # yum --version
> 2.6.0
>
> Works like a charm, there's no problem with yum, looks more like
> people had problems with setting thing up probably, check your
> proxy log for hints.

I think I found how to make it work.  When I put this same environment
settings in my user account and use "sudo yum", it still hangs up trying
to get out to the servers.  HOWEVER, if I put the identical setting in
the "root" account, and do a "su - root" rather than sudo, then it works.

I'm not sure what is going on under the hood, since it used to work fine
with "sudo", but I am guessing someone may have bumped up the security
checks internal to yum, or there may even be a conflict with SELinux checks.

In any event, it looks like it works if (and only if) you run it logged
in as root.

--
   Chuck Tryon
0
chucktryon (70)
4/11/2006 1:49:09 PM
In comp.os.linux.misc Charles Tryon <chucktryon@yahoo.com>:

[ problems using yum through http proxy ]

> I think I found how to make it work.  When I put this same environment
> settings in my user account and use "sudo yum", it still hangs up trying
> to get out to the servers.  HOWEVER, if I put the identical setting in
> the "root" account, and do a "su - root" rather than sudo, then it works.

Iirc sudo drops users environment for security reasons, no doubt
it won't work, but should just fine if you setup things for the
root account and use sudo.

> I'm not sure what is going on under the hood, since it used to work fine
> with "sudo", but I am guessing someone may have bumped up the security
> checks internal to yum, or there may even be a conflict with SELinux checks.

Usually disable SELinux at first, annoying enough some distro
turn it on per default and leave you with a non working system,
might be suited for a desktop, but shouldn't happen on a server
distribution.

> In any event, it looks like it works if (and only if) you run it logged
> in as root.

Perhaps you used the wrong file to add 'export http_proxy="..."'
and it isn't sourced while sudo is running the job.

BTW
'su -' is enough to become root.

#bofh excuse 69: knot in cables caused data stream to become
twisted and kinked
0
USENET22 (5551)