A Strange - 421 Service not available, remote server has closed connection - problem for Linux ftp client.

Here is my machine configuration:

I have 3 window server 2003.  Each one hosts a VMWare server, which in
turn contains both window based and linux based virtual machines.

All the window based virtual machines have no problem connecting to
any of the outside world FTP server.  But all the linux based (i386-
redhat-linux-gnu version 2.4.20-8) virtual machines returns the "421
Service not available, remote server has closed connection" error
right after the username is entered.  For instance:

ftp> open wirefreethought.com
Connected to wirefreethought.com (66.199.224.58).
220 (vsFTPd 2.0.1)
Name (wirefreethought.com:root): vince
421 Service not available, remote server has closed connection
Login failed.
No control connection for command: Transport endpoint is not connected

The strange things is, if I try "ping hostname" first, then
immediately follow by "ftp hostname", everything works fine.  Any
other time, the above error occurs.  Everything worked fine before,
until yesterday the problem suddenly occurs.

Any insight will be greatly appreciated!

Best Regards,
Vince

0
law.vince (5)

Cannot connect Linux FTP server with Win client
Hi all, My current situation is there are a number of computers in my office, some of the computers are running Linux 7.3 and 8.0 while some other computers are running Windows 98, 2000. I have just built a FTP server with Linux which is supposed to serve all machines in the office. However there is problem when I try to connect to this FTP server with clients running in Windows, I used third party FTP software like, ws-ftp, but I fail, there simply no response from the server. The server can work fine when I try to connect to it using machines running in Linux also. I just wonder what the p...

Linux, Linux, Linux

audio streaming,chating,ftp between linux server and windows client in a network
i am doing a final semester project on this topic,so please help on this topic laky wrote: > > i am doing a final semester project on this topic,so please help on > this topic OK. Read your textbooks and pay attention in class. Do your own homework. Learn how to capitalize and punctuate sentences. Learn how to write coherent sentences. -- "If you want to post a followup via groups.google.com, don't use the broken "Reply" link at the bottom of the article. Click on "show options" at the top of the article, then click on the "Reply"...

Windows client connecting to Linux server (SAS/Connect)
Hello All: SAS 9.2 32-bit Linux on SuSE 9 Ive been working SAS Tech Support on this issue, but seem to be running around in circles lately: --- One of our users has previously used his Windows machine to connect to our old Windows SAS server. Now that we're under Linux, this functionality is broken. Our local SAS expert told me: 1) User is trying SAS with rsubmittal over XWin32 2) Expert believes that SAS/Connect is somehow involved, or should be. Documentation given to me indicates that I need to use sastcpd on the Linux server in order to get this setup. But Im new to administering SAS, so Im not sure. In any event, connection from Windows client to Linux server will mostly likely need to be tunneled through SSH. --- SAS Tech Support got me to a point where I can attempt to authenticate, but authentication fails: /usr/local/SAS/9.2/SASFoundation/9.2/sas -path /usr/local/SAS/9.2/SASFoundation/9.2/utilities/src/auth -nodms NOTE: SAS initialization used: real time 0.82 seconds cpu time 0.03 seconds 1? proc permtest; 2? run; Authentication Test Enter userid: sbirl Enter password: ERROR: Access denied.Authentication failed. Other times the error message I would receive from those same 2 commands: ERROR: The authentication server is not SETUID ROOT. The installation is incomplete.Authentication failed. As instructed Ive chown root:root and chmod 4755 /usr/local/...

Linux server and remote connection.
Hi, do anyone has an experience with linux server? I have an option to buy either a linux server at $700/year, or a windows server at $1200 per year. I think linux server is a better bargain. However, the windows server has perks too. It comes with remote connection that I am familiar with. Is there an equivalent in linux? How many applications run in linux? jonathanthio@yahoo.com.sg wrote: : Hi, do anyone has an experience with linux server? : I have an option to buy either a linux server at $700/year, or a : windows server at $1200 per year. Sounds like you mean "lease" rathe...

linux neewbie : Configuring linux client in a windows network
Hi , I have a windows 2000 server running as the domain controller. I want to add a LINUX (RED HAT 9.0) computer as a client in this network. What software do i need to do this ? Thanks in advance. BNS MIke typed: > I have a windows 2000 server running as the domain controller. I want > to add a LINUX (RED HAT 9.0) computer as a client in this network. > What software do i need to do this ? > you'll have everything you need to accomplish this. samba is what will work: http://us1.samba.org/samba/samba.html 'man smbclient' 'man smbmount' or try this HOWTO: http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/SMB-HOWTO.html -- - Linux: the choice of a GNU generation - free; as in free speech and free beer remove '.eh' to email ...

[News] New Sound Server for Linux, Linux Remote Control

I have Linux! I have Linux!

Why linux is linux

My Linux is not your Linux

OS Authentication with winXP client Linux Server
Having trawled through many many documentation links, I still cannot find my answer. I am working on a corporate network (secure). The database resides on a Linux server connected to that network. The clients all run Windows XP connected to the same network. I am trying to set up OS Authentication, so the windows users can connect to the database (typically via an app or two I have written) using their own XP userid, withouth prompting for a password. All the doco I have seen related to windows client/windows server (including setting SQLNET.AUTHENTICATION_SERVICES= (NTS) on both which isn&...

NFS server on OS/2 with Linux client
A while back I posted a question about interoperability of OS/2's NFS server with modern Linux systems (64-bit SuSe 9.3 in this case). I had ludicrously slow response times across a local network (with a cable length of about 5 feet). I'm posting to report that I've solved the problem by mounting the NFS filesystem on the Linux side using the "udp" option. With this option in /etc/fstab, my access is now instantaneous as I would expect. Hope this helps someone else out down the road. An example from my /etc/fstab file looks like this: [IP address]:/drivec /ecs/drivec nfs auto,exec,rsize=8192,wsize=8192,timeo=.1,udp,bg,intr 0 0 -- [Reverse the parts of the e-mail address to reply.] ...

VNC server on windows, linux client cannot connect
Hi I installed TightVNC server on windows and set a password. As far as I can tell, the windows 2000 professional machine has no firewall running (I really do not know much about windows, so I could be wrong). When I try to connect from my Linux machine to the windows VNC server (I have confirmed - it is running - icon at the bottom windows panel or whatever it is called) : $xtightvncviewer <ip address of windows machine> xtightvncviewer: ConnectToTcpAddr: connect: Connection refused Unable to connect to VNC server How do I troubleshoot this ? Thanks. Geico Caveman wrote: > Hi > > I installed TightVNC server on windows and set a password. As far as I can > tell, the windows 2000 professional machine has no firewall running (I > really do not know much about windows, so I could be wrong). > > When I try to connect from my Linux machine to the windows VNC server (I > have confirmed - it is running - icon at the bottom windows panel or > whatever it is called) : > > $xtightvncviewer <ip address of windows machine> > xtightvncviewer: ConnectToTcpAddr: connect: Connection refused > Unable to connect to VNC server > > How do I troubleshoot this ? > > Thanks. Cal you telnet to a port in the range 5900 to 5909? If none of them work then you probably haven't got the server set up correctly - perhaps it's only listening to localhost? -- Dave mail da ve@llondel.org (without the sp...

[News] Many Reasons for Linux on the Server; GNU/Linux Beats Mac OS X

Can I run a Linux FTP server on an ADSL connection?
Well the subject says it all- I want to host files, I dont mind if the IP changes when I log off/on (rarly) And I wont have a domain name- I just wan people to be able to upload/download files online from my FTP. I have a netcomm router modem, it is a firewall also, It just plugs into the hub and all pc's on the network can use the internet. Im not that big on networking in linux, I just managed to set up my own network with 3 pc's and samba, thats about it. However I did it all from command line, not using any gui utils like webmin. On Fri, 10 Oct 2003 13:54:59 +0000, Cam wrot...

Crash-proof connection from Linux (client) to Windows (server)
Hi, I'm use the Reflection X server on Windows 2000 to work with X11 applications on a Suse 9 box. The problem is that Reflection crashes too much, killing my Emacs session, which I don't like. The solution I think of is some kind of proxy server between the client and the server. When Reflection crashes, the proxy keeps the connection and thus Emacs alive. The restarted Reflection can then reconnect to the proxy. This solution would be similar to 'screen' for terminals. I'd be glad if anyone could give me advice on how to accomplish this. Regards, Da...

DHCP connection from win98SE client to Suse linux server
I have two PC's connected tot a linux firewall. One of them is a win98SE box. The other is a linux box. Installed is SuSE Linux 10.0. DHCP works fine between the two linux boxes, (and you can guess) not in connection to the win 98SE box. Any suggestions/ HW weverhuis wrote: > I have two PC's connected tot a linux firewall. One of them is a win98SE > box. The other is a linux box. Installed is SuSE Linux 10.0. > DHCP works fine between the two linux boxes, (and you can guess) not in > connection to the win 98SE box. > Any suggestions/ Is the windows pc set up for DHCP? Have you set up the Linux box as a gateway for the windows pc? Check the network settings (dhcp and gateway) on the win pc. -- Let's not complicate our relationship by trying to communicate with each other. ...

Wildcards using MULTINET FTP server, Linux client?
I'm trying to do a rm *.*;* in an FTP script and get this error: 550-Failed to delete directory DKA0:[ARCSIGHT]*^.log^;*.dir; 550 The file specification must contain a name, type and version number (even if wildcarded). How do I get rid of those stupid ^'s? Sampsa On Oct 21, 4:26=A0pm, sampsa <samp...@gmail.com> wrote: > I'm trying to do a rm *.*;* in an FTP script and get this error: > > 550-Failed to delete directory DKA0:[ARCSIGHT]*^.log^;*.dir; > 550 The file specification must contain a name, type and version > number (even if wildcarded). > > H...

cannot connect from linux cipe server to windows cipe client
Hi, I am trying to connect Redhat Linux 9 cipe server to Windows 2003( tried windows NT too) cipe client. I can ping from Windows 2003(and also Windows NT) server (both of which contain CIPE client installed) to CIPE server on Redhat Linux 9 server. But i cannot ping the Windows CIPE client from the Linux machine.. This a short description of what i have done: - On the Linux machine(67.xx.xx.159)=> 1)I edited the file /etc/sysconfig/iptables to allow incoming UDP packets -A INPUT -p udp -m udp -s 67.xx.xx.159 -d 67.xx.xxx.161 --sport 6790 --dport 6789 -j ACCEPT where 67.xx.xxx.159 : Linux m/c 67.xx.xxx.161 : Windows m/c containing CIPE client 2) Edited a file : /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-cipcb0 DEVICE=cipcb0 ONBOOT=yes USERCTL=yes MYPORT=6789 PEER=67.xx.xxx.161:6790 PTPADDR=192.168.0.2 IPADDR=192.168.0.1 3) I created a key in /etc/cipe/options.cipcb0 on both machines. It reads: key XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX and did the following # chmod 600 /etc/cipe/options.cipcb0 4) Started CIPE using # /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifup-cipcb ifcfg-cipcb0 I checked using ifconfig , cipcb0 is up and running.. Now on the windows 2003 machine(67.xx.xxx.161), 1)Created a network device using CIPE Windows NDIS driver and service, version 2.0-pre15. (391k, zip). the settings are as follows: Local IP address : 192.168.0.2 Port:6790 Peer IP Address : 67.xx.xxx.159 Port:6789 Local PTP Address: 192.1...

[News] [Linux] Sun is Hunting for Linux Servers, But Keeps Losing Space to Linux
Sun Microsystems launches new Enterprise Services Plan ,----[ Quote ] | Sun is striving to establish its Solaris Unix operating system as | an alternative to Linux. Unlike other vendors, Sun promotes its | version of Unix as an open, non-hardware-aligned platform. `---- http://www.ovum.com/news/euronews.asp?id=5856#2944171340830618264 It has just lost to Linux again. Burbank Gets Higher Performance In Move To Blade Servers ,----[ Quote ] | Other advantages were inherent in the blade server architecture. For | one, applications that ran on Solaris were consolidated on to a Linux | bla...

Linux thin client connecting to Windows 2003 terminal server
Hello! I am not a Linux expert and are just looking for some recommendations. My problem is the following: I am running a windows terminal server and have 12x Pentium 100 computers with 32mb ram and 1.6gb harddrives. I found the tool "rdesktop" to connect to the server which runs fine on my test computer which is a P4 but I need it to run on my 12 old computers. Rdesktop requires X-Windows. Can anybody recommend a small linux distributions including a graphical interface? Or does somebody know a different client software which doesn't need X-Windows? I am not sure so far if this all is possible with my 12 old computers. I cannot spend any money since it is for a high-school on a tight budget. If somebody knows anything, please let me know. Thank you Best regards Tobias In article <12eb01d5.0407191417.6f80c0b0@posting.google.com>, t.roedig@student.unimaas.nl (Tobias) writes: > > I am running a windows terminal server and have 12x Pentium 100 > computers with 32mb ram and 1.6gb harddrives. I found the tool > "rdesktop" to connect to the server which runs fine on my test > computer which is a P4 but I need it to run on my 12 old computers. > Rdesktop requires X-Windows. Can anybody recommend a small linux > distributions including a graphical interface? Or does somebody know a > different client software which doesn't need X-Windows? You might have a look at PXES: http://pxes.sourceforge.net This is a small Linux ...

nfs strange failures (getfh, linux server, solaris client)
So, I'm perplexed. I have a server, running Mandrake 10.0 (community), that is providing NIS and NFS services to a handful of Solaris 9 clients. The problem is that one of the clients cannot mount anything from the server, but other clients can, and the faulty client is able to mount from other servers. Let me outline a bit. Machines: server1 server2 client1 client2 client3 Server1 is the server I was speaking about above, providing NIS and NFS to the clients in the network. Server2 is another machine in the building, not actually supposed to be involved in the network, but I'm using it for testing. Both servers are running Mandrake 10. Client1 is the new client, which is unable to mount anything from Server1. Client2 has been setup for a couple of days, and is working correctly (mounting properly). Client 3 is in a separate setup state, but is also working correctly. All three clients are running Solaris 9. Here is the /etc/exports on server1 /home 10.22.0.0/16(no_root_squash,rw,async) /home -root=10.22.0.0/16(async) /var/suns/usr/local 10.22.0.0/16(no_root_squash,rw,async) /var/suns/usr/local -root=10.22.0.0/16(async) /tmp 10.22.0.0/16(ro) Here is the /etc/vfstab from all of the clients: fd - /dev/fd fd - no - /proc - /proc proc - no - /dev/dsk/c0t0d0s0 /dev/rdsk/c0t0d0s0 / ufs 1 no - server1:/home - /home nfs - yes - server1:/var/suns/usr/...

Any VPN client for RH linux to connect to office VPN server (Sonicwall)
Guys: We are using Sonicwall VPN server at office, I have VPN client installed on Windows PC, no problem to login to office machines, But I need to access remotely from RH Linux PC, any VPN client available which can connect to Sonic wall VPN server (I need to install that VPN client on Linux PC)?. This way I can check-out my code into Linux machine, which I can compile locally than always telnet/ssh from windows machine which is very slow. Thanks in advance. GS Am Wed, 28 Mar 2007 13:54:54 -0700 schrieb GS: > Guys: > > We are using Sonicwall VPN server at office, I have VPN client > installed on Windows PC, no problem to login to office machines, But I > need to access remotely from RH Linux PC, any VPN client available > which can connect to Sonic wall VPN server (I need to install that VPN > client on Linux PC)?. This way I can check-out my code into Linux > machine, which I can compile locally than always telnet/ssh from > windows machine which is very slow. Thanks in advance. > > GS Hi, which model do you have? We're using 5060 and 4100 and it works with openswan (debian) with dynamic IP. -- E-Mail burkhard.ott@evolver.de Web www.evolver.de We are using 3060, let me know whether it supports, I am using RH Linux, if RH not supports, I will switch to Debian. Thanks. ...

Sockets: Why a Connection reset exception on Windows but not on Linux when a client disconnects from a server
I'm curious why I get a Connection reset exception when I run this code on Windows but not on Linux. It's a client and a server communicating through a socket. The exception occurs on the server when the client terminates suddenly. It's ordinary client-server code, but I'll include it for illustration. It make sense that the exception occurs - the server is waiting for the client to send a command, but the client suddenly terminates. What's odd is that the exception occurs on Windows but not on Linux. Here are the results on the server side, when run on Windows Vista: A...

[News] [Linux] Linux Thin-clients for a School District and a Linux in Every Living Room
GNU/Linux thin-clients ,----[ Quote ] | I've been looking for a good GNU/Linux thin-client for my employer, | a school district in the US. We have scores of aging desktops | (primarily Intel PII 350 MHz and PIII 800 MHz systems) and looking | more into the mobile arena for most computing needs. `---- http://www.freesoftwaremagazine.com/blogs/gnu_linux_thin-clients Mythbuntu promises Linux PVR without the learning curve ,----[ Quote ] | Building a media center PC from scratch is complicated enough without | having to learn a new operating system, but the Ubuntu-based Mythbuntu | co...

Web resources about - A Strange - 421 Service not available, remote server has closed connection - problem for Linux ftp client. - comp.os.linux.networking

Controversial Australian Cup protest could be costly for Awesome Rock's connections
Nothing arouses punters' feelings more than a controversial protest. Racing people still discuss with great vigour the Nausori-Big Philou Caulfield ...

2 men charged in connection of Girl Scout money theft
The suspects have been charged with robbery, safecracking and theft.

French (Canadian) connection helps Coyotes snap 7-game skid
The Arizona Coyotes defeat the Florida Panthers 5-1 Saturday behind a dominate performance by the team's French-Canadian players.

Is There a Connection Between Caffeine and Depression?
Couple of years ago when I was trying to find a way out of my depression, I came across a lot of websites like these mindbodygreen.com or k-state.edu.com ...

84 indicted in connection with NYC, New England drug-gun ring
Bronx DA says four gangs formed "an alliance of evil" to peddle cocaine and heroin in New Hampshire and Massachusetts

26-year-old man arrested in connection with Iditarod crashes
ANCHORAGE, Alaska (AP) — A man suspected of intentionally driving a snowmobile into teams of two mushers near the front of the Iditarod Trail ...

Aruba's new products improve wireless connections
Aruba announced networking software and hardware today that include a new wireless access point that can support Skype for Business and Wi-Fi ...