Can Connect, But Can't Surf

Hi guys,

I'm using Aztech 56k USB modem on the Fedora. I download the driver for this
modem and seems to set it up successfully since i can dialup and login to
the ISP. But the strange thing is, whatever address that I type in on the
browser, I just can't get to the web server.. even I "ping yahoo.com" it
told me "Unknown Host".

So where should I diagnose the problem? I suspect maybe is the DNS setup
error (the current DNS setting is "Automatic ....") any others??

0
zvulcan (6)

max <zvulcan@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hi guys,

> I'm using Aztech 56k USB modem on the Fedora. I download the driver
> for this modem and seems to set it up successfully since i can
> dialup and login to the ISP. But the strange thing is, whatever
> address that I type in on the browser, I just can't get to the web
> server.. even I "ping yahoo.com" it told me "Unknown Host".

Does it tell you that immediately?  No name server or no default route.
Does it tell you that after a short time?  Wrong name server.
Does it tell you that after several minutes?  Wrong default route.

--
Clifford Kite                Email: "echo xvgr_yvahk-ccc@ri1.arg|rot13"
PPP-Q&A links, downloads:                      http://ckite.no-ip.net/

nameserver a.b.c.d

where a.b.c.d is the nameserver of your ISP,

x86

SuSE Linux 9.0-Intel Pentium M 1.40GHz-512 MB-40
GB-14"-1024x768-4.5-4.9 lbs-CD-RW/DVD-ROM-Intel PRO/1000 Gigabit
Ethernet-Intel PRO/Wireless Network Connection 802.11b

The post originated from Linux Forum:
http://www.linuxforum.com
http://www.linuxforum.com/forums

0
shaks (42)
4/13/2004 3:00:23 AM
thanks for reply,

But previous-installation with the same modem and OS, i don't really need to
configure anything.. i set everything as "Automatic", and it works without
any problem.. anyway, will try to get fix with the solution that u provide.
Thanks.

Max.

"x86processor" <shaks@linuxmail-dot-org.no-spam.invalid> wrote in message
> You should have an entry for your ISP nameserver in the
> /etc/resolv.conf file. For example,
>
> nameserver a.b.c.d
>
> where a.b.c.d is the nameserver of your ISP,
>
> x86
>
> SuSE Linux 9.0-Intel Pentium M 1.40GHz-512 MB-40
> GB-14"-1024x768-4.5-4.9 lbs-CD-RW/DVD-ROM-Intel PRO/1000 Gigabit
> Ethernet-Intel PRO/Wireless Network Connection 802.11b

> The post originated from Linux Forum:
> http://www.linuxforum.com
> http://www.linuxforum.com/forums

Hi Clifford,

Yes, it tell me after several minutes, i have added 2 DNS server ip into the
/etc/resolve.conf, but it doesn't help also.. any other ideas??

Max.

"Clifford Kite" <kite@see.signature.id> wrote in message
> max <zvulcan@yahoo.com> wrote:
> > Hi guys,
>
> > I'm using Aztech 56k USB modem on the Fedora. I download the driver
> > for this modem and seems to set it up successfully since i can
> > dialup and login to the ISP. But the strange thing is, whatever
> > address that I type in on the browser, I just can't get to the web
> > server.. even I "ping yahoo.com" it told me "Unknown Host".
>
> Does it tell you that immediately?  No name server or no default route.
> Does it tell you that after a short time?  Wrong name server.
> Does it tell you that after several minutes?  Wrong default route.
>
> --
> Clifford Kite                Email: "echo xvgr_yvahk-ccc@ri1.arg|rot13"
> PPP-Q&A links, downloads:                      http://ckite.no-ip.net/
> /* I gave up on politics when no matter who I voted for, I regretted it.
>  *    -- Pepper...and Salt, WSJ */

0
zvulcan (6)
4/13/2004 6:42:59 PM
max <zvulcan@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hi Clifford,

> Yes, it tell me after several minutes, i have added 2 DNS server ip into the
> /etc/resolve.conf, but it doesn't help also.. any other ideas??

Read my last reply.  Your default route is almost certainly wrong.
Check that with route -n.  There should be a default route with a gateway
(gw) that is the peer's IP address and with a PPP interface.

--
Clifford Kite                Email: "echo xvgr_yvahk-ccc@ri1.arg|rot13"
PPP-Q&A links, downloads:                      http://ckite.no-ip.net/
/*  "PPPoE has many advantages for DSL service providers, and
    practically none for DSL consumers."
                      - David F. Skoll                           */
0
kite (526)
4/14/2004 3:34:46 AM
Hi all,

Thanks for all your reply, I have solve the problem, it is the wrong
gateway setting.

Max.

0
zvulcan (6)

CORRECTION : Can't connect to Xserver SHOULD BE Can't connect to XVNCserver

Can connect to network but can't browse internet
Here is my situation. I have verizon DSL and two computers in the network. One is running windows 98se and is plugged directly into the linksys router and the other is running windows XP and has a wireless card. My computer, which is running win98se, took a dive and I had to reinstall my DUN and VPN. I reinstalled the verizon software and this one is up and running. The XP computer however is causing me some troubles. It says it's connected to our network. I can browse files on the XP machine from the 98SE machine and the XP machine can access the router via 192.168.1.1 in the brows...

Can connect to network but can't browse internet
Here is my situation. I have verizon DSL and two computers in the network. One is running windows 98se and is plugged directly into the linksys router and the other is running windows XP and has a wireless card. My computer, which is running win98se, took a dive and I had to reinstall my DUN and VPN. I reinstalled the verizon software and this one is up and running. The XP computer however is causing me some troubles. It says it's connected to our network. I can browse files on the XP machine from the 98SE machine and the XP machine can access the router via 192.168.1.1 in the brows...

network connection established
Hi, I'm using a Linksys "G" wireless networking card for my Dell Inspiron notebook to connect to a Blitzz wireless router. It diaplays that a connection has been established and the signal quality is quite strong. However I can only access the setup site for the wireless network from my notebook. I can't access any Internet sites. I'm using Windows XP. Thanks for your help! On Sat, 2 Oct 2004 11:34:47 -0400, "iso" <no_email@hotmail.com> wrote: >Hi, > >I'm using a Linksys "G" wireless networking card for my D...

Windows can't see Apache on Linux machine when in one location, can in other. Linux PC can see server in both locations.
We have two offices A and B, connected by kilostream. We have a Linux box in location A, running Mandrake 9 and the Apache web server. We have some Linux boxes in location B, and loads of Windows machines. The problem is that whenever a Windows box is in location B, it can't see any pages served up by the Linux based web server in A. It can ping it, but if you telnet to port 80 from the Windows machine you get nothing back. If I pick up the Windows machine, and transport it to location A, plug it into the network, all works OK. At the moment I'm using SQUID on a Linux box in location B as a proxy server for the Windows machines in location A, but this is a bodge really. Any idea why the WIndows machiens in location B can't see pages from the apache server in A, whilst Linux machines in B can see A ? On 8 Jul 2004 11:01:23 -0700, Agent X <pgrebby@hotmail.com> wrote: > We have two offices A and B, connected by kilostream. > > We have a Linux box in location A, running Mandrake 9 and the Apache > web server. > > We have some Linux boxes in location B, and loads of Windows machines. > > The problem is that whenever a Windows box is in location B, it can't > see any pages served up by the Linux based web server in A. It can > ping it, but if you telnet to port 80 from the Windows machine you get > nothing back. > > If I pick up the Windows machine, and transport it to location A, plug > it into the network,...

PPTP VPN client can make connection but can't see network resources
Hi, I am trying to setup a VPN between my home and the office and can only get it partially working. Office ------- * Small network connected to the internet by a Draytek router (Draytek 2600). * Draytek router has an inbuilt VPN server which is setup and running. Home ----- * Win98 Box. Have installed VPN client and can successfully attach to the Draytek routers VPN server across the intenet and get access to all the office network resources. This was very simple to do and works fine. * SUSE Linux box. Have installed pptp and can establish a connection to the Draytek routers VPN server over the internet but can't get access to any of the office network resources. Can succesfully ping the Draytek over the VPN connection on 192.168.1.1 but can't ping any other computer on the office network. * At home my Win98 box and SUSE Linux box are connected to the Internet through a Dlink router with VPN passthrough enabled. Can anyone shed any light on why I can connect to the Draytek VPN server on my Linux Box but can't see or ping any of the computers hanging off it. Win98 VPN client does it fine so all the hardware side seems to be able to communicate ok. Thanks in advance for any suggestions. JP ...

[News] Breaking Evil Myths: Linux Users Can't Play; Can't Run Windows Applications
Because penguins need to play too. ,----[ Quote ] | The Windows camp have a lot of great games to play and a popular | misconception is that Linux is lacking in games. That is not true. | There are literally thousands of games for Linux. In fact a lot of | them have been ported to Windows too. | | [...] | | There are both free and commercial games available. Some of the best | ones I really like are America's Army, Tremulous and Enemy Territory. `---- http://blogs.ittoolbox.com/linux/locutus/archives/because-penguins-need-to-play-too-14767 Run Windows Apps on Linux using 2X ApplicationServer ,----[ Quote ] | 2X ApplicationServer is a useful solution for those who still need access | to some Windows only apps, but prefer to work in Linux. `---- http://linuxappfinder.com/blog/run_windows_apps_on_linux_using_2x_applicationserver Related: LinuxGamePublishing announces X3: Reunion ,----[ Quote ] | The announcement was made during LinuxGames.coms' latest(7th) | podcast, and said to be about 80% completed. `---- http://www.linux-gamers.net/modules/news/article.php?storyid=1914 TO: Crossfire 1.5 released ,----[ Quote ] | Inspired by TacticalOps, TO: Crossfire is a game based on Epic's | awardwinning UnrealEngine and throws you into the life-and-death | world of counterterrorism. `---- http://www.linux-gamers.net/modules/news/article.php?storyid=1913 Supergamer LiveDVD - Gaming on Linux hits new levels ,----[ Quote ] | SuperGamer is a modified version...

Client can't connect to the default port, but can connect to other ports
I am not able to connect to the sshd running on default port, but if I run a new sshd at a specific port, I can connect to it. Here are debug outputs from the two calls. syslogs don't show anything either. Can someone please help me solve this problem. ================= ps -ef ================= [namit@namit-pc ~/.ssh]$ ps -ef | grep sshd root 5114 1 0 Aug12 ? 00:00:05 /usr/sbin/sshd root 19131 1 0 Aug17 ? 00:00:00 /usr/sbin/sshd -p 10111 namit 30922 19148 0 09:52 pts/6 00:00:00 grep sshd [namit@namit-pc ~/.ssh]$ ================= Default port ================= [namit@namit-pc ~/.ssh]$ ssh -v localhost OpenSSH_3.6.1p2, SSH protocols 1.5/2.0, OpenSSL 0x0090701f debug1: Reading configuration data /etc/ssh/ssh_config debug1: Applying options for * debug1: Rhosts Authentication disabled, originating port will not be trusted. debug1: Connecting to localhost [127.0.0.1] port 22. debug1: Connection established. debug1: identity file /home/namit/.ssh/identity type -1 debug1: identity file /home/namit/.ssh/id_rsa type -1 debug1: identity file /home/namit/.ssh/id_dsa type 2 debug1: Remote protocol version 1.99, remote software version OpenSSH_3.6.1p2 debug1: match: OpenSSH_3.6.1p2 pat OpenSSH* debug1: Enabling compatibility mode for protocol 2.0 debug1: Local version string SSH-2.0-OpenSSH_3.6.1p2 debug1: SSH2_MSG_KEXINIT sent debug1: SSH2_MSG_KEXINIT received debug1: kex: server->client aes128-cbc hmac-md5 none debug1: kex: client->s...

can ping, can't connect
Ok, I have a sever box running Debian stable with a 2.6 kernel (686). It was working fine. Suddenly after about a month up time it stopped, I think it was an IP ipdate form the cable modem but whatever happened I rebooted and when it came back up it cuold no longer make connections. It is now sitting behind my emergency windows box ICS. It can ping www.google.com with no problem but links www.google.com sits there with "Making connection". I did have it running a firewall that caused no probs for outbound connections like that but i have turned that off. It wont let me ssh in from either side. It happily DCHPs from the modem or the windlw box, although it wont route through the modem for some reason, but that is for later. Does anyone have any idea what is going on and what I can do to fix it? Thanks, Rage Rage wrote: > Ok, I have a sever box running Debian stable with a 2.6 kernel (686). > > It was working fine. > Suddenly after about a month up time it stopped, I think it was an IP > ipdate form the cable modem but whatever happened I rebooted and when it > came back up it cuold no longer make connections. > > It is now sitting behind my emergency windows box ICS. > It can ping www.google.com with no problem but links www.google.com sits > there with "Making connection". > > I did have it running a firewall that caused no probs for outbound > connections like that but i have turned that off. > &g...

networking connection seems well, but can 't connect to internet
Hi all, I have a problem I hope someone has some ideas on. OS:win98se. Ethernet card :SMC 1244V2 After the SMC card is installed, it is appeared in the device manager without any error mark. I clicked control panel > network > configuration and checked for network property. it has the following listed: Client for Microsoft Networks Dial-up adapter SMC EZ card PCI 10/100 adapter TCP/IP It is supposed that will be displayed as the following : Client for Microsoft Networks Dial-up adapter SMC EZ card PCI 10/100 adapter TCP/IP -->SMC EZ card PCI 10/100 adapter //************...

OS X
after a bit of reading, it looks like I did a veeeeery shtupid thing... (I'm copying my post to this newsgroup, as the alt.sys.mac.newuser-help group didn't look quite as highly-trafficked...) anyways, here's what I did... ----------------------------------- in an effort to help the owner of a nice shiny new eMac 'clean up' their personal folder, I moved a few items... including the Library folder! it appears.... correct me if I'm wrong... that Mac OS X then created a NEW library... so we restarted it, and all the Quicken data, dialup info, (etc.) was gone... so we ...

Cisco 1811 K9- VPN clients can connect, but can't connect or ping to computers
I have an 1811 that I use as a firewall. Last Friday I configured a site to site VPN for a vendor to do offsite backups. Ever since then, remote users have reported that they successfully connect their VPN clients, but all traffic (email, remote desktop) is denied. Any ideas? On Jan 30, 3:30=A0pm, Pappy <sodapopsa...@gmail.com> wrote: > I have an 1811 that I use as a firewall. =A0Last Friday I configured a > site to site VPN for a vendor to do offsite backups. =A0Ever since then, > remote users have reported that they successfully connect their VPN > clients, but all traf...

Can't cd , can't use wildcard
Hi , I am running Windows 2000 service pack 4.Whenever I try to "cd" into some of the directories(which exist), I get an "Invalid directory". I can use to get into few of the directories(using cd) but for other it just says "Invalid directory". Moreover, I can't use any wildcard characters..(*, ? etc) at all.. Any idea what is wrong? Thanks Arun On Sun, 31 Aug 2003 17:13:52 GMT, Arun Goel <arun.goel@sbcglobal.net> wrote the following to comp.os.msdos.misc: > Hi , > > I am running Windows 2000 service pack 4.Whene...

Can't ping itself, but other machines on the network can
Try to ping the same machine, ping gives below error, but I can ping all other machines on the network. Any idea?. Thanks in advance. connect: Invalid argument tvnaidu@yahoo.com (vasanta) wrote in message news:<5d593b38.0409200534.54ac8ceb@posting.google.com>... > Try to ping the same machine, ping gives below error, but I can ping > all other machines on the network. Any idea?. Thanks in advance. > > connect: Invalid argument [me@pbrain]$ ping 127.0.0.1 PING 127.0.0.1 (127.0.0.1) from 127.0.0.1 : 56(84) bytes of data. 64 bytes from 127.0.0.1: icmp_seq=1 ttl=64 time=0.107 ms 64 bytes from 127.0.0.1: icmp_seq=2 ttl=64 time=0.069 ms 64 bytes from 127.0.0.1: icmp_seq=3 ttl=64 time=0.060 ms --- 127.0.0.1 ping statistics --- 3 packets transmitted, 3 received, 0% loss, time 1998ms rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 0.060/0.078/0.107/0.022 ms [me@pbrain]$ netstat -nr Kernel IP routing table Destination Gateway Genmask Flags MSS Window irtt Iface X.X.24.0 0.0.0.0 255.255.248.0 U 0 0 0 eth0 127.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 255.0.0.0 U 0 0 0 lo 0.0.0.0 X.X.24.1 0.0.0.0 UG 0 0 0 eth0 Note that 127.0.0.0 is in the route table and uses the lo interface. [me@pbrain]$ /sbin/ifconfig eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:40:D0:04:06:AC inet addr:X.X.25.127 Bcast:255.255.255.255 Mask:255.255.248.0 UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metri...

Can ping sites but can't connect to them
After upgrading win98 to win98se, I installed a new network card, Belkin F5D5000. I am connected to a network through a router and cable modem. This computer is able to recognize and communicate with all other computers on the network, but it will not connect to internet addresses, not even the router address 192.168.0.1 I can, however ping any address and get a response. Why can't I get a normal internet connection? Other computers on the network connect normally to the internet. Your help would be appreciated. The Limey Check and make sure Proxy is checked to 'Automat...

Mysql can connect, but PHP can't?
Hi, my first time posting on a newsgroup. anyway, let's cut to the chase. I'm trying to migrate mysql database form one server to another server. So I copied the data from /var/lib/mysql to the other one.. and use INSERT INTO from the old database to the new one..so the Top level 'mysql' database has all the correct users and password and priviledge. however, when one of the php website trying to load..it'll say Unable to login to the MySQL database 'tikiwiki' on 'localhost' as user 'user1' Go here to begin the installation process, if you haven&#...

Could it be? Something Windows can do but Linux can't?
In general, most things can be done on either OS with varying degrees of success. And certainly, this isn't something that couldn't be done, but for now AFAICT isn't. http://www.maxivista.com/ Basically, this allows you to treat a secondary computer, such as a laptop, as an additional monitor for your desktop. Note that this is very different from simply running apps remotely on the second computer, this is actually exporting a "virtual" display (ala RDP or VNC) so that you can, for example, drag a window from one computer to the other. I'm asking honestly here, ...

Can't connect to network share as other user unless I disconnect network drives
I hope someone can offer some insight here. I work in a 140+ PC network using a Windows Domain (Windows 2000 Server) and a mix of PCs running withwer Windows XP pro or Windows 2000 pro. Our file server is Linux (Debian). All works well for most functions. However there is one puzzle. When I am installing something on an end user's PC, I need to install it under my own profile (administrator rights) and access a directory on that file server, as that is where the install files are located. When I click Start --> Run --> "\\server-name" it prompts me, as expected, for ...

Can't connect to network share as other user unless I disconnect network drives
I hope someone can offer some insight here. I work in a 140+ PC network using a Windows Domain (Windows 2000 Server) and a mix of PCs running withwer Windows XP pro or Windows 2000 pro. Our file server is Linux (Debian). All works well for most functions. However there is one puzzle. When I am installing something on an end user's PC, I need to install it under my own profile (administrator rights) and access a directory on that file server, as that is where the install files are located. When I click Start --> Run --> "\\server-name" it prompts me, as expected, for ...

Why can't the rest of my network see my Linux box's hostname?
Hi all, Apologies in advance if this is a FAQ - I couldn't find an FAQ list. I would appreciate some help/advice about getting my network right. I have a small business network with Macs (running Mac OS X) and a variety of Windows PCs. This network is connected to a Netgear DG834 ADSL router and thence to my ISP. I have added a new Linux box to this network today, running Fedora Core 2. When I look at the list of attached devices in the Netgear console it sees the Linux box as hostname marple and ip address 192.168.0.6. The hostname setting on the box is marple. However when I...

Windows "routing" server separating two subnets
Gurus, I have a small lab with a bunch of servers setup on two different subnets, 192.168.1.1 is the gateway for one and 172.16.1.1 is the gateway for the other. Installed on my Router (Windows Server with three NICs - I know, please don't comment on this, it's is for learning purposes, not production), the third NIC is the gateway to the Internet. What works: The Router server can reach the Internet as well as the computers in the 192.168.1.0/24 subnet (the first subnet built). What's broken: The computers on the 172.16.1.0/16 subnet cannot get to the Inter...

Maple9 Can't run, can't re-install
-I installed the maple-9 on laptop without any problem. But when I run it, nothing happens. -I tried to uninstall it with start->settings->control panel->add/remove program->maple9, the "add/remove program" freeze (for long--------). All other programs still work at that time (computer is not froozen). -I tried to shut down the computer, it needs to 'end' the 'un-installation' -I tried to re-install the maple9 from the original CD, nothing happens. -With 'autorun', it runs a few seconds and nothing happens. -Tried to installed it ...

vpn can connect, can't reach hosts
Hi all, I'm a vpn newbie. I'm using pptpconfig to connect via suse 9.3 - which seems to use the standard pptp that comes with the disto, and I get this message: Using interface ppp0pptpconfig: monitoring interface ppp0 Connect: ppp0 <--> /dev/pts/4 MPPE 128-bit stateless compression enabled local IP address 192.168.2.106 remote IP address 192.168.2.101 pptpconfig: pppd process exit status 0 (started) ip route replace 24.199.x.x via 200.157.x.x dev eth0 src 200.157.x.x pptpconfig: routes added to remote networks pptpconfig: usepeerdns was set, but /{var/run,etc}/ppp/resolv.conf was not readable pptpconfig: connected ifconfig shows: ppp0 Link encap:Point-to-Point Protocol inet addr:192.168.2.106 P-t-P:192.168.2.101 Mask:255.255.255.255 UP POINTOPOINT RUNNING NOARP MULTICAST MTU:996 Metric:1 RX packets:12 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0 TX packets:9 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0 collisions:0 txqueuelen:3 RX bytes:210 (210.0 b) TX bytes:102 (102.0 b) However, I cannot ping or nmap host 192.168.2.93 , which is indeed a live host. A fellow windows user says he can ping it. One detail: I did not supply a domain name as I don't know it yet - waiting for an answer - but perhaps that is just for authenctication which I apearently can do. The vpn server is most likely windows - everything this company does is. Please help! Robert "robert" <robertlazarski@gmail.com> ...

I don't mind Linux. It's the fan club I can't stand.
Linux: A sheer waste of processing time. On Thu, 09 Feb 2006 23:42:08 -0500, Ana Thema wrote: > Linux: A sheer waste of processing time. Ana Thema ... a witch in search of batteries... -- Rick <http://ricks-place.tripod.com/sound/2cents.wav> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Ana Thema <anathema@gmail.net> wrote on Thu, 09 Feb 2006 23:42:08 -0500 <o96ou15hrlhepdpdr7pkbefq3ep4e31ve1@ax4.com>: > Linux: A sheer waste of processing time. > Well of course it is; everyone should just use Windows instead. The occasional hangs, glitches, and crashes are more than compensa...

Web resources about - Can Connect, But Can't Surf - comp.os.linux.networking