Can see Suse and Window server, but can't access SuSe shares

Using LinNeighborhood to look at network.I'm running SUSE 9 on the system..
have no clue what happened. I use to be able to see the Suse box and the
Window boxes on the network. Now i can see the SuSe box..but can't access
the shares. I can still see and access the window boxes.. and they can see
the SuSe box and access them. Just can't get the SuSe box to access itself
from the LAN network.
 I see alot about not being able to see the window boxes and stuff.. but
can't find how to configure this box to access itself thru the LAN.
0
Shock (1)

Windows can't see Apache on Linux machine when in one location, can in other. Linux PC can see server in both locations.
We have two offices A and B, connected by kilostream. We have a Linux box in location A, running Mandrake 9 and the Apache web server. We have some Linux boxes in location B, and loads of Windows machines. The problem is that whenever a Windows box is in location B, it can't see any pages served up by the Linux based web server in A. It can ping it, but if you telnet to port 80 from the Windows machine you get nothing back. If I pick up the Windows machine, and transport it to location A, plug it into the network, all works OK. At the moment I'm using SQUID on a Linux box in location B as a proxy server for the Windows machines in location A, but this is a bodge really. Any idea why the WIndows machiens in location B can't see pages from the apache server in A, whilst Linux machines in B can see A ? On 8 Jul 2004 11:01:23 -0700, Agent X <pgrebby@hotmail.com> wrote: > We have two offices A and B, connected by kilostream. > > We have a Linux box in location A, running Mandrake 9 and the Apache > web server. > > We have some Linux boxes in location B, and loads of Windows machines. > > The problem is that whenever a Windows box is in location B, it can't > see any pages served up by the Linux based web server in A. It can > ping it, but if you telnet to port 80 from the Windows machine you get > nothing back. > > If I pick up the Windows machine, and transport it to location A, plug > it into the network,...

SQL Server Management Studio can't 'see' the 2005 engine?? But can see 2000 ?!?
Hello, I had SQL2000 server running fine on the windows 2003 box. I then installed SQL 2005 Express. They both worked together fine. I then uninstalled SQL 2005 Express and installed SQL 2005 Server. But when I open SQL Server Management Studio, I can only connect to the SQL 2000 engine. In the Object explorer, it says v8.0.2039 (which I think is SQL 2000 Server, because I can see the existing SQL 2000 databases). How can I get SQL Server Management Studio to 'see' the SQL 2005 database engine so I can create tables? I *think* its running because there is the 'sqlservr.exe...

Windows "routing" server separating two subnets
Gurus, I have a small lab with a bunch of servers setup on two different subnets, 192.168.1.1 is the gateway for one and 172.16.1.1 is the gateway for the other. Installed on my Router (Windows Server with three NICs - I know, please don't comment on this, it's is for learning purposes, not production), the third NIC is the gateway to the Internet. What works: The Router server can reach the Internet as well as the computers in the 192.168.1.0/24 subnet (the first subnet built). What's broken: The computers on the 172.16.1.0/16 subnet cannot get to the Inter...

[News] Breaking Evil Myths: Linux Users Can't Play; Can't Run Windows Applications
Because penguins need to play too. ,----[ Quote ] | The Windows camp have a lot of great games to play and a popular | misconception is that Linux is lacking in games. That is not true. | There are literally thousands of games for Linux. In fact a lot of | them have been ported to Windows too. | | [...] | | There are both free and commercial games available. Some of the best | ones I really like are America's Army, Tremulous and Enemy Territory. `---- http://blogs.ittoolbox.com/linux/locutus/archives/because-penguins-need-to-play-too-14767 Run Windows Apps on Linux using 2X ApplicationServer ,----[ Quote ] | 2X ApplicationServer is a useful solution for those who still need access | to some Windows only apps, but prefer to work in Linux. `---- http://linuxappfinder.com/blog/run_windows_apps_on_linux_using_2x_applicationserver Related: LinuxGamePublishing announces X3: Reunion ,----[ Quote ] | The announcement was made during LinuxGames.coms' latest(7th) | podcast, and said to be about 80% completed. `---- http://www.linux-gamers.net/modules/news/article.php?storyid=1914 TO: Crossfire 1.5 released ,----[ Quote ] | Inspired by TacticalOps, TO: Crossfire is a game based on Epic's | awardwinning UnrealEngine and throws you into the life-and-death | world of counterterrorism. `---- http://www.linux-gamers.net/modules/news/article.php?storyid=1913 Supergamer LiveDVD - Gaming on Linux hits new levels ,----[ Quote ] | SuperGamer is a modified version...

Both can ping, 1st pc can access 2nd pc shared folder, but 2nd pc can't 1st pc's.?
pc-a & pc-b connected with rj-45 vis a switch. Having same workgroup "MSHOME". pc-a ping to pc-b "OK". pc-b ping to pc-a "OK". both pcs TCP/IP is configured for file & printer sharing & client for ms network. pc-a can access pc-b's shared folders . MY PROBLEM IS "WHY PC-B CAN'T ACCESS PC-A's SHARED FOLDERS?". Any suggestion? By the way, both pcs can browse ie from single gateway. Both OS is Xp sp2. And they can access mutually in the past. Are you talking about regularly shared folders or admin shares like ADMIN$ or ...

SAMBA Question, Linux box can't see Windows Shared folders
I have an XP VM (VMware Server 2 on CentOS5.2) on a network of Fedora and CentOS5 machines. The Linux boxes export SAMBA shares which the XP VM sees just fine. The XP VM also sees it's shared folders. The Linux boxes (both CentOS5.2 and Fedora 9) can see the SAMBA exports from each other and they can see the XP machine but they can't see anything of the shared folders on the XP machine (I'm looking at the network for Nautilus). What do I need to do on either the Linux side or the Windows side so that Linux can see the XP Shares? Here is my smb.conf file, #======================= Global Settings ===================================== [global] log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m cups options = raw netbios name = Nimitz server string = Nimitz Samba socket options = TCP_NODELAY workgroup = workgroup os level = 20 username map = /etc/samba/smbusers encrypt passwords = yes winbind trusted domains only = yes security = user passdb backend = tdbsam max log size = 50 General Schvantzkoph wrote: > I have an XP VM (VMware Server 2 on CentOS5.2) on a network of Fedora and > CentOS5 machines. The Linux boxes export SAMBA shares which the XP VM > sees just fine. The XP VM also sees it's shared folders. The Linux boxes > (both CentOS5.2 and Fedora 9) can see the SAMBA exports from each other > and they can see the XP machine but they can't see anything of the shared > folders on the XP machine (I'm looking at the network ...

Could it be? Something Windows can do but Linux can't?
In general, most things can be done on either OS with varying degrees of success. And certainly, this isn't something that couldn't be done, but for now AFAICT isn't. http://www.maxivista.com/ Basically, this allows you to treat a secondary computer, such as a laptop, as an additional monitor for your desktop. Note that this is very different from simply running apps remotely on the second computer, this is actually exporting a "virtual" display (ala RDP or VNC) so that you can, for example, drag a window from one computer to the other. I'm asking honestly here, ...

Why can't the rest of my network see my Linux box's hostname?
Hi all, Apologies in advance if this is a FAQ - I couldn't find an FAQ list. I would appreciate some help/advice about getting my network right. I have a small business network with Macs (running Mac OS X) and a variety of Windows PCs. This network is connected to a Netgear DG834 ADSL router and thence to my ISP. I have added a new Linux box to this network today, running Fedora Core 2. When I look at the list of attached devices in the Netgear console it sees the Linux box as hostname marple and ip address 192.168.0.6. The hostname setting on the box is marple. However when I...

Every time my Linux PC gets new Ip address, I can't access remotely, how can I access?/
Everytime when I boot (sometimes kids reboots) it gets new IP address, I did port mapping in the Router (any ssh requests to this Ip addr), when it changed Ip address, I can't access rempotely, any solution. Also I added its names as "dhcppc3" in /etc/hosts files (ip address machine-name), also when I do "hostname" it shows different name, how can I name this machine as "tiger" so always I want the machine name as tiger (if I do "ping tiger" with LAN shoud work), how can I do that?. Thanks. On 12 Oct 2005 17:08:57 -0700, GS <globalswamy@hotmail.com> wrote: >Everytime when I boot (sometimes kids reboots) it gets new IP address, >I did port mapping in the Router (any ssh requests to this Ip addr), >when it changed Ip address, I can't access rempotely, any solution. >Also I added its names as "dhcppc3" in /etc/hosts files (ip address >machine-name), also when I do "hostname" it shows different name, how >can I name this machine as "tiger" so always I want the machine name as >tiger (if I do "ping tiger" with LAN shoud work), how can I do that?. >Thanks. DDNS GS wrote: > Everytime when I boot (sometimes kids reboots) it gets new IP address, > I did port mapping in the Router (any ssh requests to this Ip addr), > when it changed Ip address, I can't access rempotely, any solution. > > Also I added its names as "dhcppc3" in /et...

How can Spy++ see windows that GetWindow() can't?
My program is launching another program using CreateProcess(), and then the launching program needs to control the launched program by sending it mouse and keyboard events. Nothing abnormal there. What is strange, is that the launching program isn't able to find the correct windows inside the launched program. Spy++ correctly sees that the main window of the launched program has 7 child windows, while both GetWindow(GW_HWNDNEXT) and EnumWindows() report only 4 child windows. Does anyone know what method Spy++ uses to find its windows? On Nov 8, 6:47=A0pm, Chris Shearer Coop...

I can share internet but computers can't see each other
I have two XP machines, a laptop and desktop, I can share an internet connection using a D-Link wireless broadband router, but when I try to share a printer or files, the PC's cannot see each other. I've enabled sharing on everything on both machines. I ran the IP address from the start menu (\\192.168.0.101) and it does not good. My wife needs to print her work out and she's getting frustrated at me and my lack of networking skills. Help! Make sure both PCs are on the same workgroup, but have different names. Right click on "My Computer" and select &quo...

Windows Can't see Sonicwall, Macs can.
I'm a programmer, not a networking guru, so maybe there's a easy answer to this, but I'm stumped. We have a SonicWall PRO 3060 Standard with a bunch of Macs and a few Windows PCs. The Macs are working great. But the Windows (XP Pro) machines have the following strange problem: They cannot ping the router (but Macs can). They cannot get on the internet (but Macs can). They DO see servers and other machines on our side of the firewall. BUT... They are listed in the router's ARP list. I can ping the PCs from the router. I can ping the PCs from other PCs and from Macs. All are on static IPs. As I said, I'm stumped. Anyone have any suggestions? Thanks, Jeff Jeff Cooper wrote: > I'm a programmer, not a networking guru, so maybe there's a easy > answer to this, but I'm stumped. > > We have a SonicWall PRO 3060 Standard with a bunch of Macs and a few > Windows PCs. The Macs are working great. But the Windows (XP Pro) > machines have the following strange problem: > > They cannot ping the router (but Macs can). > They cannot get on the internet (but Macs can). > They DO see servers and other machines on our side of the firewall. > > BUT... > They are listed in the router's ARP list. > I can ping the PCs from the router. > I can ping the PCs from other PCs and from Macs. > > All are on static IPs. > > As I said, I'm stumped. Anyone have any suggestions? > > Thanks,...

How can Spy++ see windows that GetWindow() can't?
My program is launching another program using CreateProcess(), and then the launching program needs to control the launched program by sending it mouse and keyboard events. Nothing abnormal there. What is strange, is that the launching program isn't able to find the correct windows inside the launched program. Spy++ correctly sees that the main window of the launched program has 7 child windows, while both GetWindow(GW_HWNDNEXT) and EnumWindows() report only 4 child windows. Does anyone know what method Spy++ uses to find its windows? On Nov 8, 6:47=A0pm, Chris Shearer Coop...

Can't ping my server -- but it can access the internet
Environment: Server: Widows 2000 Ver 5.0 SP4 Workstations: Mix Win98 and WinXP All can access the internet. The server was not using DHCP, but after I started experiencing this problem, I set it to DHCP for troubleshooting purposes only. Still using DHCP from the router, no system on the network can even ping it. All systems, including the server can access the internet. Does anyone have any idea what the problem might be? The ipconfig /all info is below: Windows 2000 IP Configuration Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : server2003 Primary DNS Suffix . . . . . . . : home.txmicrotech.com Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : home.txmicrotech.com txmicrotech.com Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection: Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : Description . . . . . . . . . . . : D-Link DFE-530TX+ PCI Adapter Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-40-05-08-0B-B6 DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.102 Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0 Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1 DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1 DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 204.127.202.4 216.148.227.68 Lease ...

Can access network drive but can't open files.
Hi, At work we are running Windows 2000 Server. On this we have a public drive, shared by all users in the company holding information on employees. We have a machine which links directly to the bank to process wages. In order to do this though, our wages clerk needs to update the contents of an employee wages Access 2000 db, residing on the mentioned public drive. When we try to open the said database, and any other applications like Excel, Word, or even Notepad, an error appears telling us that there has either been a Network or Disk Error (Access) or that files are read only, or that files path names are invalid and can't be found. In short, we can see the drive content but can't open any of the files. When we do try to open files, the CPU usage runs at 100% and doesn't come back down unless you use task manager to end tasks. I've tried to do the following things in the hope that they'd help but none have worked: 1) Reinstall network card drivers. 2) Use a new network card. 3) Reinstall TCP/IP. 4) Ran 3 spyware detectors. 5) Remapped the mentioned public drive. Using the full and correct route. 6) Changed the actual network connections and cat5 cabling. 7) Changed the leads into the switch in our server cupboard. It's getting to the stage where it's frustrating. Any help would be appreciated. Tom. Ok...did you actually check the permissions on the files/users? Are they set as read only on the server? Have y...

Can't see print preview and can't print under Lexmark Z32!
Hi, I face a problem that my customer using lexmark z32 USB prot printer, clarion 5.5 can't generate print preview and can't to printer also. Does anybody face this problem before? How to solve this problem? TQ. Best Regards, Nelson ...

config.sys corrupted; can't fix; can't start windows 2000
The computer attempts to open windows 2000 pro and gets hung up with the message that winn config.sus is corrupted. I tried booting from the win 2000 cd-rom and then creating floppy boot disks. The computer won't recognize or run off of these. Rename the Config.sys file in the root directly to ConfigOLD.sys. See if the machine will boot without it for now. Any release of NT should be able to. If you work out for sure that the Config.sys file is faulty, you can go in with your text editor, and troubleshoot it. You will need the base knowledge to work in this file. Jerry G. ======== ...

Can Find Printers, and Get on the Net but can't See any Servers
This is an interesting perdicament, I have one computer on our network that is unable to 'see' any servers (either Appletalk or via TCP-IP address.) The wierdness, is TCP/IP is working (I can get on the internet), and AppleTalk also works, I can see the laserwriters on the network too. But doing Appleshare on the Chooser results in no servers (though I can see them on other macs, so it's not the Server), specifying the TCP/IP address pauses the system and responds cannot find any servers... Any Clues? (My next action is backup and clean install, yuk. I am thinking the file sys...

Can't see the database window in Access
All of a sudden when I open any Access database, I can't view the database window. This includes databases where I have hidden the database window on startup, and those that I haven't. I think there may be some security setting that kicked in, or it could be a virus, but so far I've had no luck in any of my KB searches. Does anyone have an idea why this is happening? It's driving me crazy. Thanks forever if you can help Shannon Rotz Vancouver, BC Canada Does it appear when you press F11? Have you set the startup option to hide the window? -- Danny J. Lesandrini dlesa...

Win 98SE can't see LAN, but can access Internet
I have a strange problem. I have a local network behind a Linksys router. My Sony Viao laptop w/ Win 98SE, cannot .. ping the router .. access http://192... of my Linsys router .. see any other PC in the LAN (using domain names or IP addresses) .. map any other computers n/w drive (using domain names or IP addresses) It can, however, access the Internet normally via domain names and IP addresses The router (DHCP ON) does allocate IP address to this laptop. All other computers work fine in the LAN. They can access this laptop and its drives too. I have tried disabling firewa...

seeing the wireless network, but can't access
I was at a conference in Spain recently, and was taking notes on my iBook. I was bored, and hit the airport software button -- and a wireless network set up by Telefonica showed up. The signal was really strong. Whoopie! I figured out that I needed to buy time on the network, and after visits to three different gift shops, finally found a card with a login name and pin number. But the directions said only -- "start your web application and go to any web page, then fill in the login name and pin number." I tried with Netscape, with Internet Explorer, and with Opera, and ev...

Samba: Windows can't see Linux
I have a Windows 98SE box and a Red Hat 7.2 box with Samba 2.2.8a. The Linux box has no problem seeing the Windows box, mounting shares, etc. The Windows box has no problem seeing the Linux box for non-Samba purposes (ping, ssh, etc.) But, the Windows box can't see the Linux box in Network Neighborhood, and can't access any shares. I went through the "troubleshooting" chapter on samba.org, and found that the nmb test fails. That is, nmblookup -B 192.168.5.255 RH72 does not find the RH72 box -- even when that command is run on the RH72 box itself! Changing the IP in that command from the "broadcast" IP to RH72'2 IP does give the correct response, and "smbclient -L //RH72" produces a correct list of shares. So, it seems that RH72 is not responding when queried on the broadcast IP. How can I fix this? (I've already tried invoking nmbd with the "-B" option, but that didn't work.) Thanks! --Robert Robert Book wrote: > I have a Windows 98SE box and a Red Hat 7.2 box with Samba 2.2.8a. > > The Linux box has no problem seeing the Windows box, mounting shares, > etc. > The Windows box has no problem seeing the Linux box for non-Samba > purposes (ping, ssh, etc.) But, the Windows box can't see the Linux > box in Network Neighborhood, and can't access any shares. > > I went through the "troubleshooting" chapter on samba.org, and found > that the nmb test fails. ...

Still can't network Linux and Windows
Still trying crack the Linux-Windows SMB networking nut and it's driving me nuts: So far, I can: - ping both the Windows (XP Pro, Sp2) and Linux (CentOS 4.3, RHEL4 clone) by both hostname and network address, so no issues with basic networking. - access the Windows shares and print to the Windows printer on the Linux box, so SMB (Samba) is working on the Linux side. - view both the Windows and Linux hosts in the "View Network Computers" boxes on the XP box, so the Windows box can "see" the Linux box. However, when I try to access the Linux sh...

Can't access some website from inside FW, but can from server in front of FW
Here's a weird scenario i'm facing recently. I can't access three website (so far) from the LAN (behind a PIX), resulting in Page Can't Be Found. One problem site is http://www.adobe.com. However, I can access http://createpdf.adobe.com, which is in a different IP range, but not most of the links since it links back to www.adobe.com. I can ping www.adobe.com as well as the others. (I have no problems access other URLS, ie yahoo, google, microsoft, etc etc.) In a few trials, the top image banner would load, following by a long pause, then the "Page can't be found"...

Web resources about - Can see Suse and Window server, but can't access SuSe shares - comp.os.linux.networking