Can't ftp from Linux to windows-server - setsockopt

Trying to do ftp from a Linux pc-box (Red Hat - Fedora installation -
FC1(?)). However,
I get some problems with this and wonder if someone can help me. I have
turned
on debugging and see that I get:

ftp: setsockopt (ignored): Permission denied

I have tried ftp-command on to different servers and it works on one of the
and not on the other.
===
1) THE ONE WHICH DOES NOT WORK
Server-platform: Windows
Demands active ftp and do not accept passive ftp.

ERROR: Some error messages and it hangs after some time.

I have turned on debugging and see that I get:

ftp: setsockopt (ignored): Permission denied
===
2) THE ONE WHICH DOES WORK
Server-platform: Unix
Demands passive ftp and do NOT accept active ftp.
This server demands that the ip-adress I present is available with
forward and revers lookup which seems to work well in my case.
===
Unfortunately I need to do ftp to the windows server in 1).
Does anyone have any clue as to what I can do to make this work?

Any other app I can install and use?
Any settings I can do on my machine to make it work?
Other hints?

Borge

0
check4junk (12)
11/24/2004 2:59:09 PM
comp.os.linux.networking 15677 articles. 3 followers. Post Follow

Windows can't see Apache on Linux machine when in one location, can in other. Linux PC can see server in both locations.
We have two offices A and B, connected by kilostream. We have a Linux box in location A, running Mandrake 9 and the Apache web server. We have some Linux boxes in location B, and loads of Windows machines. The problem is that whenever a Windows box is in location B, it can't see any pages served up by the Linux based web server in A. It can ping it, but if you telnet to port 80 from the Windows machine you get nothing back. If I pick up the Windows machine, and transport it to location A, plug it into the network, all works OK. At the moment I'm using SQUID on a Linux box in location B as a proxy server for the Windows machines in location A, but this is a bodge really. Any idea why the WIndows machiens in location B can't see pages from the apache server in A, whilst Linux machines in B can see A ? On 8 Jul 2004 11:01:23 -0700, Agent X <pgrebby@hotmail.com> wrote: > We have two offices A and B, connected by kilostream. > > We have a Linux box in location A, running Mandrake 9 and the Apache > web server. > > We have some Linux boxes in location B, and loads of Windows machines. > > The problem is that whenever a Windows box is in location B, it can't > see any pages served up by the Linux based web server in A. It can > ping it, but if you telnet to port 80 from the Windows machine you get > nothing back. > > If I pick up the Windows machine, and transport it to location A, plug > it into the network,...

[News] Breaking Evil Myths: Linux Users Can't Play; Can't Run Windows Applications
Because penguins need to play too. ,----[ Quote ] | The Windows camp have a lot of great games to play and a popular | misconception is that Linux is lacking in games. That is not true. | There are literally thousands of games for Linux. In fact a lot of | them have been ported to Windows too. | | [...] | | There are both free and commercial games available. Some of the best | ones I really like are America's Army, Tremulous and Enemy Territory. `---- http://blogs.ittoolbox.com/linux/locutus/archives/because-penguins-need-to-play-too-14767 Run Windows Apps on Linux using 2X ApplicationServer ,----[ Quote ] | 2X ApplicationServer is a useful solution for those who still need access | to some Windows only apps, but prefer to work in Linux. `---- http://linuxappfinder.com/blog/run_windows_apps_on_linux_using_2x_applicationserver Related: LinuxGamePublishing announces X3: Reunion ,----[ Quote ] | The announcement was made during LinuxGames.coms' latest(7th) | podcast, and said to be about 80% completed. `---- http://www.linux-gamers.net/modules/news/article.php?storyid=1914 TO: Crossfire 1.5 released ,----[ Quote ] | Inspired by TacticalOps, TO: Crossfire is a game based on Epic's | awardwinning UnrealEngine and throws you into the life-and-death | world of counterterrorism. `---- http://www.linux-gamers.net/modules/news/article.php?storyid=1913 Supergamer LiveDVD - Gaming on Linux hits new levels ,----[ Quote ] | SuperGamer is a modified version...

Still can't network Linux and Windows
Still trying crack the Linux-Windows SMB networking nut and it's driving me nuts: So far, I can: - ping both the Windows (XP Pro, Sp2) and Linux (CentOS 4.3, RHEL4 clone) by both hostname and network address, so no issues with basic networking. - access the Windows shares and print to the Windows printer on the Linux box, so SMB (Samba) is working on the Linux side. - view both the Windows and Linux hosts in the "View Network Computers" boxes on the XP box, so the Windows box can "see" the Linux box. However, when I try to access the Linux sh...

Can't access winxp (unicode) files from linux FTP server...
I'm looking to replace a NT4 server box with a gentoo installation - pretty much all services (apache/php/mysql/samba) are working well, with the exception of proftpd. Files placed on the server over smb from windows clients sometimes contain accents and other non-ASCII characters, which I didn't have problems with when using WarFTPD with NT4. ProFTPD, however, isn't liking the unicode filenames. I've read through the gentoo guides without much luck (setting locales to UTF-8, etc). On the user level, I can still only view unicode filenames correctly after logging into the console as root and running unicode_start, despite having a UTF-8 locale. I have a feeling that I need to do this globally for all running processes in order to make proftpd work with unicode, but no idea how. At this point, using a windows ftp client to access proftpd will result in a correct display of filenames - proftpd seems to be sending the client the filename exactly as it is on disc, so the windows client correctly displays the accents, etc. Attempting to access the file is another matter - the windows client sends a request to access the filename and proftpd doesn't recognize it at all. Is there any way for proftpd to work with these files, or any linux FTP daemon? The sad alternative is to upgrade the hardware and use windows 2003 server, but surely this is something that Linux is capable of.... Thanks, Nikhil NikhilC <taligentx@hotmail.com> wrote: > Files plac...

Could it be? Something Windows can do but Linux can't?
In general, most things can be done on either OS with varying degrees of success. And certainly, this isn't something that couldn't be done, but for now AFAICT isn't. http://www.maxivista.com/ Basically, this allows you to treat a secondary computer, such as a laptop, as an additional monitor for your desktop. Note that this is very different from simply running apps remotely on the second computer, this is actually exporting a "virtual" display (ala RDP or VNC) so that you can, for example, drag a window from one computer to the other. I'm asking honestly here, ...

why can't download file from linux server into local window disk c:?
My vps ip is x.y.z.w ,i want to download /etc/passwd from linux server into my local window disk c: . import paramiko host = "x.y.z.w" port = 22 transport = paramiko.Transport((host, port)) password = "mykey" username = "root" transport.connect(username = username, password = password) sftp = paramiko.SFTPClient.from_transport(transport) filepath = '/etc/passwd' localpath = 'c:' sftp.get(filepath, localpath) Traceback (most recent call last): File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module> File "D:\Pyth...

Re: why can't download file from linux server into local window disk =?
> with open(localpath, 'wb') as fl: > PermissionError: [Errno 13] Permission denied: 'c:' I remember gloomily (haven't used windows since ages) that newer Windows versions don't like users to write directly to C:. Have you tried to save the file to your Documents folder? Regards, Alba --- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05 * Origin: <SpaceSST.BBS.Fidonet<>NNTP.gateway.@.piz.noip.me> (1:249/999) --- Synchronet 3.15b-Win32 NewsLink 1.92 SpaceSST BBS Usenet <> Fidonet Gateway To: ishish On 8-12-2014 18:37, ishish wrote: >> wit...

Re: why can't download file from linux server into local window disk c:
To: pengsir On 2014-12-09 08:14, pengsir wrote: > > > My vps ip is x.y.z.w ,i want to download /etc/passwd from linux server > into my local window disk c: . > > import paramiko > host = "x.y.z.w" > port = 22 > transport = paramiko.Transport((host, port)) > password = "mykey" > username = "root" > transport.connect(username = username, password = password) > sftp = paramiko.SFTPClient.from_transport(transport) > filepath = '/etc/passwd' > localpath = 'c:' > sftp.get(filepath, localp...

Re: why can't download file from linux server into local window disk c: #2
To: Luuk On Mon, 08 Dec 2014 19:11:40 +0100, Luuk wrote: > On 8-12-2014 18:37, ishish wrote: >>> with open(localpath, 'wb') as fl: >>> PermissionError: [Errno 13] Permission denied: 'c:' >> >> I remember gloomily (haven't used windows since ages) that newer >> Windows versions don't like users to write directly to C:. Have you >> tried to save the file to your Documents folder? >> >> Regards, >> Alba > > no, it's the ssh-server denying a log on from 'root' windows sy...

Windows "routing" server separating two subnets
Gurus, I have a small lab with a bunch of servers setup on two different subnets, 192.168.1.1 is the gateway for one and 172.16.1.1 is the gateway for the other. Installed on my Router (Windows Server with three NICs - I know, please don't comment on this, it's is for learning purposes, not production), the third NIC is the gateway to the Internet. What works: The Router server can reach the Internet as well as the computers in the 192.168.1.0/24 subnet (the first subnet built). What's broken: The computers on the 172.16.1.0/16 subnet cannot get to the Inter...

Can't talk between VPN'd client and Linux server.
Hello, I have two Linux servers running the latest AS Redhat. My VPN server is a basic Windows 2003 machine, supporting pptp, (I don't have certificate installed yet for l2tp) Client machine is Windows XP. All patches/updates have been applied to all machines. These machines are all running on the same departmental level subnet. Client attaches to VPN without issue, makes pptp connection, and I can see all windows based resources on the local network. I can ping other windows machines, I can connect to shares, I can access web pages which are ordinarily blocked by the firewall... With the exception of my two Linux machines. >From my VPN machine, I can ping/connect to the web services/ssh to the two linux machines, I can do the same from any local windows client. >From the linux machine, I can ping all the local windows servers/clients. However, I cannot ping the VPN client from the linux machines (I can ping, and as I write this, I am connected to the VPN client via remote desktop, from this local machine), nor can I pull up the web page hosted on the linux machine. Now here it gets even worse. If I connect to the main campus VPN connection, then I CAN see the web page hosted on the linux machines (I cannot ping though, as ICMP is blocked at our department firewall...) Any help would be greatly appreciated!! This forum is for Windows Firewall Discussion. You may wish to post this to microsoft.public.win2000.networking. And to try to be of help, you ...

Net::FTP problems getting files from Windows FTP server, but not Linux FTP Server.
I have a perl script (I didn't write) running on HP-UX that gets .zip files from a Linux ftp server. It downloads the files and unzips them. Every thing works fine. My problem is if I try to use the same script on the same HP-UX box but try to get the (same) files from a Windows ftp server. The files download fine, but when it tries to unzip them, I get the following: -------------- error [20040623064641.zip]: missing 273 bytes in zipfile (attempting to process anyway) error [20040623064641.zip]: attempt to seek before beginning of zipfile (please check that you have transferred o...

Why can't the rest of my network see my Linux box's hostname?
Hi all, Apologies in advance if this is a FAQ - I couldn't find an FAQ list. I would appreciate some help/advice about getting my network right. I have a small business network with Macs (running Mac OS X) and a variety of Windows PCs. This network is connected to a Netgear DG834 ADSL router and thence to my ISP. I have added a new Linux box to this network today, running Fedora Core 2. When I look at the list of attached devices in the Netgear console it sees the Linux box as hostname marple and ip address 192.168.0.6. The hostname setting on the box is marple. However when I...

Can Linux Survive the Beating it's Getting? The 2.6 Linux kernel doesn't even work!!!
SCO is suing Linus. Microsoft is still number one. Redhat Linux is dumping the small business home user market and giving them unsupported beta Fedora distro that has no backward patches. Novell bought out SuSE, and as we all know many Novell alumni are now at SCO. Novell will take care of SuSE the same way as SCO does with Linux. Contrary to what the advocates say, Linux is hard to use. I am using SuSE 8.2 and my upgrade to the 2.6 test-9 kernel was unsuccessful. I compiled the kernel using the following steps. make xconfig make bzImage make modules make modules_install I moved the r...

[News] [Linux] Dell's Linux Won't Emulate Windows, Might Go Beyond the US in Future
Ubuntu Founder: No Emulation Software for Dell Systems ,----[ Quote ] | "While Linux is an alternative to Windows, it is not cheap Windows. Linux | has its own strengths, and users should want it because of those | strengths and not because it's a cheap copy of Windows," he said. `---- http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1759,2125848,00.asp?kc=EWRSS03129TX1K0000616 Dell explains Linux delays ,----[ Quote ] | "We are adjusting the roadmap for the rest of the world, but this has | just not been announced yet," Greffier added. `---- http://news.zdnet.co.uk/hardware/0,1000...

Windows must be Broken! It's can't be fixed! I need to use Linux!
OK I've tried to clean all the spyware on my windows computer. As you know, when I was trying to examin a strange file on my hard drive, I couldn't use command like "file" to tell me what it is. And the system doesn't have a command like find ~/ -type f -perm +1 -cmin -40 -printf '%p\t%m\n' -exec rm {} \; which would have deleted ALL the spyware files. I was forced to do something like this http://www.codinghorror.com/blog/archives/000888.html June 15, 2007 How to Clean Up a Windows Spyware Infestation I recently upgraded my dedicated racing simulation P...

[News] Poor Windows Can't Do Online Banking, GNU/Linux Sure Can

[News] Debian Runs Windows Programs Also (Windows Can't Run Linux Programs)

I don't mind Linux. It's the fan club I can't stand.
Linux: A sheer waste of processing time. On Thu, 09 Feb 2006 23:42:08 -0500, Ana Thema wrote: > Linux: A sheer waste of processing time. Ana Thema ... a witch in search of batteries... -- Rick <http://ricks-place.tripod.com/sound/2cents.wav> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Ana Thema <anathema@gmail.net> wrote on Thu, 09 Feb 2006 23:42:08 -0500 <o96ou15hrlhepdpdr7pkbefq3ep4e31ve1@ax4.com>: > Linux: A sheer waste of processing time. > Well of course it is; everyone should just use Windows instead. The occasional hangs, glitches, and crashes are more than compensa...

Can ftp into Minix Server with Linux but not Windows?
I have been using Minix for small projects for quite some time, and have encountered an oddity. I recently upgraded to 3.1 (from the Operating Systems Design and Implimentation 3rd edition). I installed it on VMware and began poking around. Things were working great. I FTP'd some code out and began working with it. Now, I can FTP in with Linux, no problem. If I try to FTP in from Windows, the connection just gets closed by the remote host. Using a packet sniffer, I noted that Minix sends 2 packets back to linux after the initial connection request, and a single packet back to windows. M...

Amazon's top selling laptop doesn't run Windows or Mac OS, it runs Linux #2
http://goo.gl/xRymh <quote> We all know now that Windows 8 sales have been.... disappointing.You can blame the hardware. You can blame Windows 8's mixed-up interfaces. You can blame the rise of tablets and smartphones. Whatever. The bottom line is Windows 8 PC and laptop sales have been slow. So, what, according to Amazon, in this winter of Windows 8 discontent has been the best selling laptop? It's Samsung's ARM-powered, Linux-based Chromebook. </quote> -- Big Brother is watching ... so are we On 1/11/2013 3:24 AM, Robin T Cox wrote: > http://goo.gl/xRymh > > <quote> > We all know now that Windows 8 sales have been.... disappointing.You can > blame the hardware. You can blame Windows 8's mixed-up interfaces. You can > blame the rise of tablets and smartphones. Whatever. The bottom line is > Windows 8 PC and laptop sales have been slow. So, what, according to Amazon, > in this winter of Windows 8 discontent has been the best selling laptop? > It's Samsung's ARM-powered, Linux-based Chromebook. > </quote> "Microsoft Corp has sold 60 million licenses and upgrades for its new Windows 8 operating system in the 10 weeks since its launch..." The latest Windows 8 figure means Microsoft sold around 20 million Windows 8 licenses and upgrades since the end of November, when it announced 40 million sales in the first month on the market. That put...

[News] Google's OEM Success with Linux Shows Why Microsoft+Their Analysts Can't Help FUDing Chrome OS

PS3: doesn't come with Linux, doesn't even run Linux by default
What other cola claims have been dashed by reality? In fact, you can install on the PS3 any OS that's been designed for it. I don't expect MS to port Vista, but you never know... http://www.playstation.com/ps3-openplatform/faq.html Q. What types of "Other OSs" can be installed? A. You can install any system software that is designed to run on PLAYSTATION�3. Unfortunately we cannot provide you with specific information about what types of "Other OSs" are available because "Other OS" and the boot loader programs are produced and distributed by third-par...

Can't get sound from linux-mozilla + linux-realplayer 10
Hello all, I just installed the linux-mozilla and linux-realpayer 10 ports. Everything works but the sound. I can see the video but, I can not hear anything. I use KDE so I tried using the artsdsp (thinking that maybe arts had something to do with it) but, that did not work. It gave me an ELF error about the OS. So, any idea on what I should try next? Please help! Michael Michael J. Pelletier wrote: > Hello all, > > I just installed the linux-mozilla and linux-realpayer 10 ports. > Everything works but the sound. I can see the video but, I can not hear > anything. I use KDE so I tried using the artsdsp (thinking that maybe arts > had something to do with it) but, that did not work. It gave me an ELF > error about the OS. > > So, any idea on what I should try next? Please help! > > Michael OK, I found that it was artsd. When I killed, quite violently, artsd I got the sound. Does anyone know of a way I can use a wrapper or something so I do not have to kill the daemon every time. Michael "Michael J. Pelletier" <mjpelletier@mjpelletier.com> writes: > Michael J. Pelletier wrote: > > > Hello all, > > > > I just installed the linux-mozilla and linux-realpayer 10 ports. > > Everything works but the sound. I can see the video but, I can not hear > > anything. I use KDE so I tried using the artsdsp (thinking that maybe arts > > had something t...

Web resources about - Can't ftp from Linux to windows-server - setsockopt - comp.os.linux.networking

Windows Server 2008 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
or " W2K8 ") is one of Microsoft Windows ' server line of operating systems . Released to manufacturing on February 4, 2008, and officially released ...

Windows Server Administrators
All about Microsoft Windows Server systems and administrators

Server Mobile Admin for Windows,VMware,Active Directory on the App Store on iTunes
Get Server Mobile Admin for Windows,VMware,Active Directory on the App Store. See screenshots and ratings, and read customer reviews.

All sizes - Setting up the Windows 2003 Server - Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Transaction transformation - IT transformation, Kathryn Hawkins, Windows Server 2012, Microsoft, SQL ...
Like many banks in Australia, ME Bank is undertaking a technology transformation designed to lower costs and improve customer services. In this ...

Windows Server 2003 gets second update
Microsoft has quietly released a second service pack (SP2) for its popular Windows Server 2003 operating system.

微软 - 服务器云平台 - Windows Server 2012
Get product information, support, and news from Microsoft. Windows Server 2012可向企业和服务提供商提供可伸缩、动态、支持多租户以及通过云计算得到优化的基础结构。立即开始体验。

Windows Server on Amazon EC2?
Werner Vogels, CTO of Amazon, writes in his blog post Expanding the Cloud: Microsoft Windows Server on Amazon EC2 that With today's announcement ...

Windows Server 2016 moving to per core, not per socket, licensing
Windows Server 2016, not likely to arrive until the second half of next year, is going to shake up the way Microsoft licenses its server operating ...

Windows Server 2012 will be generally available in September
Microsoft will publicly release Windows Server 2012 a month earlier than Windows 8, the company's server and tools business vice president Satya ...