Can't NFS mount linux drive on OSX

So, I'm running SuSe 9.0 with a beefy 250G secondary drive. I also have
a iMac running OSX 10.3.6. I use the Mac for it's video editing apps
(not to mention the fact that it is UNIX .... forget this Microsoft
mickey mouse crap).

I'm trying to NFS mount the drive from the linux box to the mac, to be
able to drag and drop files while working. Right now I have to manually
FTP, which isn't the end of the world, but gets to be a pain.

So, I launch YAST->Network Services->NFS Server

- It asks me if I'd like to "Start NFS Server" to which I say yes.
- It then brings up a list of directories to export, to which I add
the correct "/share" directory (which is where I have the massive drive
mounted via /etc/fstab.
- When the "/share/" directory is selected in the top list, the bottom
table has two columns: "Hosts wildcard" and "Options". The data for
this drive is "*" and "ro, root_squash,sync" respectively.

I then go over to the mac and try to mount the drive:
mount <hostname>:/share <local directory>

and I get this error...

mount_nfs: /Users/ryan/linux: Operation not permitted
Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Ryan

0
rohayre (18)

rohayre@gmail.com wrote:
> - When the "/share/" directory is selected in the top list, the bottom
> table has two columns: "Hosts wildcard" and "Options". The data for
> this drive is "*" and "ro, root_squash,sync" respectively.

If you plan to write to this shared disk, you'll need to replace "ro"
(which stands for "read-only") with "rw" ("read-write").

> I then go over to the mac and try to mount the drive:
> mount <hostname>:/share <local directory>
>
> and I get this error...
>
> mount_nfs: /Users/ryan/linux: Operation not permitted

You should be super-user (root) to be able to mount remote file system.
Try to prepend with sudo, or "su - root; mount ...".

--
andrei
0

OSX NFS server, Linux client can't read mount
NFS server running on a Mac Powerbook, Linux client box on the LAN. I can mount the share. fstab has 192.168.1.102:/Volumes/Alien /mnt/alien nfs user,exec,rw,hard,intr 0 0 cat /proc/mounts 192.168.1.102:/Volumes/Alien /mnt/alien nfs rw,nosuid,nodev,v3,rsize=16384,wsize=16384,hard,intr,udp,lock, addr=192.168.1.102 0 0 However, when I try to access /mnt/alien, I get ls: reading directory /mnt/alien: Input/output error I don't know if the problem's on the Linux side or the OSX, which I don't know from shinola. Any advice as to why the mount can't be accessed greatly appreciated. Thanks. -- ...

Windows can't see Apache on Linux machine when in one location, can in other. Linux PC can see server in both locations.
We have two offices A and B, connected by kilostream. We have a Linux box in location A, running Mandrake 9 and the Apache web server. We have some Linux boxes in location B, and loads of Windows machines. The problem is that whenever a Windows box is in location B, it can't see any pages served up by the Linux based web server in A. It can ping it, but if you telnet to port 80 from the Windows machine you get nothing back. If I pick up the Windows machine, and transport it to location A, plug it into the network, all works OK. At the moment I'm using SQUID on a Linux box in location B as a proxy server for the Windows machines in location A, but this is a bodge really. Any idea why the WIndows machiens in location B can't see pages from the apache server in A, whilst Linux machines in B can see A ? On 8 Jul 2004 11:01:23 -0700, Agent X <pgrebby@hotmail.com> wrote: > We have two offices A and B, connected by kilostream. > > We have a Linux box in location A, running Mandrake 9 and the Apache > web server. > > We have some Linux boxes in location B, and loads of Windows machines. > > The problem is that whenever a Windows box is in location B, it can't > see any pages served up by the Linux based web server in A. It can > ping it, but if you telnet to port 80 from the Windows machine you get > nothing back. > > If I pick up the Windows machine, and transport it to location A, plug > it into the network,...

Why can't the rest of my network see my Linux box's hostname?
Hi all, Apologies in advance if this is a FAQ - I couldn't find an FAQ list. I would appreciate some help/advice about getting my network right. I have a small business network with Macs (running Mac OS X) and a variety of Windows PCs. This network is connected to a Netgear DG834 ADSL router and thence to my ISP. I have added a new Linux box to this network today, running Fedora Core 2. When I look at the list of attached devices in the Netgear console it sees the Linux box as hostname marple and ip address 192.168.0.6. The hostname setting on the box is marple. However when I...

Can Linux Survive the Beating it's Getting? The 2.6 Linux kernel doesn't even work!!!
SCO is suing Linus. Microsoft is still number one. Redhat Linux is dumping the small business home user market and giving them unsupported beta Fedora distro that has no backward patches. Novell bought out SuSE, and as we all know many Novell alumni are now at SCO. Novell will take care of SuSE the same way as SCO does with Linux. Contrary to what the advocates say, Linux is hard to use. I am using SuSE 8.2 and my upgrade to the 2.6 test-9 kernel was unsuccessful. I compiled the kernel using the following steps. make xconfig make bzImage make modules make modules_install I moved the r...

[News] Breaking Evil Myths: Linux Users Can't Play; Can't Run Windows Applications
Because penguins need to play too. ,----[ Quote ] | The Windows camp have a lot of great games to play and a popular | misconception is that Linux is lacking in games. That is not true. | There are literally thousands of games for Linux. In fact a lot of | them have been ported to Windows too. | | [...] | | There are both free and commercial games available. Some of the best | ones I really like are America's Army, Tremulous and Enemy Territory. `---- http://blogs.ittoolbox.com/linux/locutus/archives/because-penguins-need-to-play-too-14767 Run Windows Apps on Linux using 2X ApplicationServer ,----[ Quote ] | 2X ApplicationServer is a useful solution for those who still need access | to some Windows only apps, but prefer to work in Linux. `---- http://linuxappfinder.com/blog/run_windows_apps_on_linux_using_2x_applicationserver Related: LinuxGamePublishing announces X3: Reunion ,----[ Quote ] | The announcement was made during LinuxGames.coms' latest(7th) | podcast, and said to be about 80% completed. `---- http://www.linux-gamers.net/modules/news/article.php?storyid=1914 TO: Crossfire 1.5 released ,----[ Quote ] | Inspired by TacticalOps, TO: Crossfire is a game based on Epic's | awardwinning UnrealEngine and throws you into the life-and-death | world of counterterrorism. `---- http://www.linux-gamers.net/modules/news/article.php?storyid=1913 Supergamer LiveDVD - Gaming on Linux hits new levels ,----[ Quote ] | SuperGamer is a modified version...

I don't mind Linux. It's the fan club I can't stand.
Linux: A sheer waste of processing time. On Thu, 09 Feb 2006 23:42:08 -0500, Ana Thema wrote: > Linux: A sheer waste of processing time. Ana Thema ... a witch in search of batteries... -- Rick <http://ricks-place.tripod.com/sound/2cents.wav> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Ana Thema <anathema@gmail.net> wrote on Thu, 09 Feb 2006 23:42:08 -0500 <o96ou15hrlhepdpdr7pkbefq3ep4e31ve1@ax4.com>: > Linux: A sheer waste of processing time. > Well of course it is; everyone should just use Windows instead. The occasional hangs, glitches, and crashes are more than compensa...

[News] Google's OEM Success with Linux Shows Why Microsoft+Their Analysts Can't Help FUDing Chrome OS

PS3: doesn't come with Linux, doesn't even run Linux by default
What other cola claims have been dashed by reality? In fact, you can install on the PS3 any OS that's been designed for it. I don't expect MS to port Vista, but you never know... http://www.playstation.com/ps3-openplatform/faq.html Q. What types of "Other OSs" can be installed? A. You can install any system software that is designed to run on PLAYSTATION´┐Ż3. Unfortunately we cannot provide you with specific information about what types of "Other OSs" are available because "Other OS" and the boot loader programs are produced and distributed by third-par...

Can't get sound from linux-mozilla + linux-realplayer 10
Hello all, I just installed the linux-mozilla and linux-realpayer 10 ports. Everything works but the sound. I can see the video but, I can not hear anything. I use KDE so I tried using the artsdsp (thinking that maybe arts had something to do with it) but, that did not work. It gave me an ELF error about the OS. So, any idea on what I should try next? Please help! Michael Michael J. Pelletier wrote: > Hello all, > > I just installed the linux-mozilla and linux-realpayer 10 ports. > Everything works but the sound. I can see the video but, I can not hear > anything. I use KDE so I tried using the artsdsp (thinking that maybe arts > had something to do with it) but, that did not work. It gave me an ELF > error about the OS. > > So, any idea on what I should try next? Please help! > > Michael OK, I found that it was artsd. When I killed, quite violently, artsd I got the sound. Does anyone know of a way I can use a wrapper or something so I do not have to kill the daemon every time. Michael "Michael J. Pelletier" <mjpelletier@mjpelletier.com> writes: > Michael J. Pelletier wrote: > > > Hello all, > > > > I just installed the linux-mozilla and linux-realpayer 10 ports. > > Everything works but the sound. I can see the video but, I can not hear > > anything. I use KDE so I tried using the artsdsp (thinking that maybe arts > > had something t...

Does IRS hate Linux? (Can't use forms in acroread in Linux)
(Note running Mepis 3.3, Firefox 1.0.1, Acroread 5.0.10 http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f1120a.pdf Maybe its just my system, but when I go to the above official IRS PDF form for corporate taxes (1120), the form opens but I get errors saying it requires 5.1 or later than 5.0.5 of Acrobat. There is no 5.1 version for Linux but there is 5.0.10. I can fill it in but can ONLY print it a page at a time (fortunately its only 2 pages!). What's up with that? (But at least it prints!) I cannot save it with changes, because the IRS says... For users of Adobe Reader: beginning October 25, 2004 ...

Still can't network Linux and Windows
Still trying crack the Linux-Windows SMB networking nut and it's driving me nuts: So far, I can: - ping both the Windows (XP Pro, Sp2) and Linux (CentOS 4.3, RHEL4 clone) by both hostname and network address, so no issues with basic networking. - access the Windows shares and print to the Windows printer on the Linux box, so SMB (Samba) is working on the Linux side. - view both the Windows and Linux hosts in the "View Network Computers" boxes on the XP box, so the Windows box can "see" the Linux box. However, when I try to access the Linux sh...

Can't input square bracket ']' on linux
Hi It seems that I'm unable to input the closing square bracket symbol (]), neither on the matlab command line nor in the m-file editor. I had a similar problem on Win2K with the closing curly bracket (}), which was solved by a fix published on mathworks.com: http://www.mathworks.com/support/solutions/data/32432.shtml Apparently, it was a bug concerning only users with international (i.e. non-US) keyboards. I tried to apply the same fix, but it didn't work. Any ideas? My config: Matlab 6.5.1.199709 R13 (Service Pack 1) Linux: RedHat 9, kernel 2.4.20-28.9.1 Than...

[News] Op/Ed: Microsoft Won't/Can't Assault Linux
The fair-weather "friends of Linux" ,----[ Quote ] | I just finished reading John Carroll's article Why Microsoft won't | assault Linux and while I agree with his conclusion, I don't agree | with his reasoning. John opens up suggesting that a "full legal | assault" on Linux would be self-defeating. I don't think so | but I do think that filing suit against RedHat would be an | unnecessary waste of Microsoft's time and money. | | I would like to dispense with his first point: Patents cut both | ways. While this is certainly true, John assumes that there are | powerful "friends of Linux" who would counter-sue Microsoft in a | heartbeat if Microsoft were to use it's patents against RedHat and | he reminds us that: Nobody has more patents than IBM. `---- http://blogs.zdnet.com/BTL/?p=3924 ...

Linux can't mount DVD-R burned by XP
I put a DVD-R in a DVD-Multi burner (Samsung SH-S203B) under XP Pro. I format it using DLA, then cut some directories from drive C: and paste into drive F: (the DVD burner in question). When that is done, I right-click and choose "Make Compatible". I shut down XP and boot Ubuntu 8.04 so as to read the disc under Linux---from the same drive, and I get a message like "Cannot mount volume. Unable to mount the volume 'testForLinux'". `dmesg|tail` includes lines like: [ 653.889007] cdrom: sr1: mrw address space DMA selected [ 661.165032] udf: udf_read_inode...

NFS can't read directory on OS X mount
We are starting to migrate some users to an Xserve running OS X 10.4.10, and we mount it with NFS from our Solaris servers (so Solaris is the NFS client), running Solaris 8, patched with the Recommended set as of March of this year. The problem is that several applications, when asked to present the files in a directory, show nothing. This is manifesting itself especially in Mail programs and IMAP/POP servers that are not showing any of the users' mail "folders" (really mbox files). Using these same programs under Linux (FC6) works fine. Not all directory reads fail, of cours...

Linux crapware distro switcheroo victim very frustrated, can't find a single Linux distro which works
"I've really been struggling with distros which just don't work on my computers, no matter how much patience I give them at the command line, and at this point I don't know what else other than Mandriva will make it possible for me to say there really is a Linux distro which works, and really is better than Windows, and that making it so on any PC doesn't need to become your final lifetime mission!" http://forum.mandriva.com/viewtopic.php?t=114610 Another soon-to-be ex-Linux user with nightmare memories of long hours struggling at the command line. On Tu...

The Problem Isn't Linux, It's The Linux Community...
As a desktop system, Linux is decent. I don't feel it's a polished nor are the applications and hardware support as good *overall* as Windows or OSX, but for many people, Linux is a great value and certainly a decent system. So why am I not posting as a Linux advocate? The short answer is that I don't wish to be associated with the slime that passes for Linux advocates these days. Spend 30 minutes in COLA and you will see what I mean. When was the last time you saw a Linux advocate acknowledge that something other than Linux is superior at some task? Almost never happens. That's because these people are in fact a loosely organized, yet very rabid cult of sorts. They are wired to defend the mother ship, Linux, and will not buck the herd. Yet we have the so called "wintrolls" acknowledging, and in some cases, purchasing Linux based products. Android for one. Linux as a server system for another. Linux in embedded devices as another one. Linux in super computers and clusters is another good use for Linux. So how come the so called "Wintrolls" are able to acknowledge Linux's advantages in certain areas but the Linux community will NEVER ADMIT that Linux isn't a good choice in certain areas, like the desktop. Which brings me to another trait of the Linux "advocate" and that is LIEing for LIEnux. This is where the Linux advocate will simply make up stories about Linux just "working" that are clearly and easily pr...

[News] Mac OS X Can't be Prettier Than GNU/Linux

Can't Use Linux Anymore, It Doesn't Jerk Around Enough Like Spastic Monkeys
Why the heck doesn't this Linux installation flash on an off and jerk all over the screen, thus properly attracting my attention? I like a little interreaction from my programs. Plus it's running on only 256K Ram. What's with that? More (waaaaaaaay more) is better, Right? I'm feeling resource starved here. Those windows bozos are having all the ram MASS fun. This sucks. On 2007-08-18, flyer <flyer@there.net> wrote: > > Why the heck doesn't this Linux installation flash on an off and jerk all over the screen, thus properly attracting my attention? > &g...

Networked two linux computers, can't access files across?
I have two linux computers networked. I have the Internet configurations working OK, but I need to share files between two, I restarted nfs, and mounted on other machine, still can't access. Do I have to enable anything else?. Appreciated for any info. Thanks, GS. GS <globalswamy@hotmail.com> wrote: > I restarted nfs, and mounted on other machine, still can't access. I don't think this is a useful sentence. * You've started NFS on one (both?) of the boxes? * Do you have one configured as a server and the other as a client? * Have you put anything in /etc/exports on the server? * Have you successfullly exported a share on one of the boxes and successfully mounted it on the other? * What's the real problem that you're having? Puzzled, Chris GS wrote: > I have two linux computers networked. I have the Internet > configurations working OK, but I need to share files between two, I > restarted nfs, and mounted on other machine, still can't access. Do I > have to enable anything else?. Appreciated for any info. > > Thanks, > GS. > look here: http://nfs.sourceforge.net/nfs-howto/ ...

"Even a 'genius' can't use Linux"
Or so the "genius" WinTrolls would have you believe. I finally broke down and bought a $10, 64MB nVidia MX440 video card to replace my onboard Intel graphics chip. (Yeah, I'm a big spender.) So how hard was that to set it up in Linux? I've done it twice (and I'm going to get one for the CentOS box as well). In VectorLinux I had to run VASM (VectorLinux Administration and System Menu) in root and set up X Windows. (VASM is used for just about any change in VectorLinux.) It asked if I wanted to load the nVidia proprietary drivers, I clicked yes, and watc...

SARCASTIC POST: Linux Can't Run This 'Killer' App -- WHY ?!?
<sarcasm and irony> After 2 solid years of Linvocacy -- I have met my match... This critical piece of software: http://www.virtuagirls.com/ DOES NOT RUN ON LINUX !?!!? Only Windos users can: Run Virtual Girl 2, "a shareware program featuring dancers on your desktop. They say hi in the morning, remind you of your appointments and dance for you whenever you want them to. We mean right on the desktop. dancers basically live on the tool bar. They are in front of any other application and you can enjoy them while using your computer normally." Linux will never catch up to W...

Android microSD card won't mount on Linux OS (Unable to access). Why?
Android microSD card won't mount on Linux OS (Unable to access). Why? What is this error telling me? a. Dolphin: http://i.imgur.com/DABMmKP.jpg b. Nautilus http://i.imgur.com/6XgdcI1.jpg ================================================================== Unable to access "134 GB Volume" Error mounting /dev/mmcblk0p1 at /media/guest/21E3-00CC: Command-line `mount -t "exfat" -o "uhelper=udisks2,nodev,nosuid,uid=1000,gid=1000, iocharset=utf8,namecase=0,errors=remount-ro,umask=0077" "/dev/mmcblk0p1" "/media/guest/21E3-00CC"' exit...

Web resources about - Can't NFS mount linux drive on OSX - comp.os.linux.networking