Connecting a Mellanox 10GB NIC to 10GB NICs from other vendors

Hi,
Did anyone tried to connecting a Mellanox 10GB NIC to 10GB NICs from other vendors, like Intel Fortville ? if anyone did, I will be happy if he will
share which cable/cables he used and which NICs he used.

And the same question also about connecting 40GB nics from Mellanox to other vebdors 40GB nics.

Regards,
Kevin
0
wkevin

wkevin <wkevils@gmail.com> wrote:
> Did anyone tried to connecting a Mellanox 10GB NIC to 10GB NICs from
> other vendors, like Intel Fortville ? if anyone did, I will be happy
> if he will share which cable/cables he used and which NICs he used.

It has been some time since I was connecting 10 GbE NICs (quibble, B
Bytes, b bits :) ) back-to-back, but presumably, if you have
compatible optical transceivers (*) in each, it should "just work."

Compatible optical transceivers here would be ones claiming to support
the same specs - I may not be using the correct terms, but both being
short-range optics, or both being long-range optics etc etc.

Things might be a little more complicated if you wish to use DAC
(Direct Attach Copper) cable.  Unlike fibre, a DAC has a transceiver
at either end.  Transceivers have IDs, and some NICs/vendors are more
particular about those IDs being in the set of supported devices than
others.  The transceivers at either end of a DAC cable will be from
the same vendor.  I don't recall if either Mellanox or Intel 10GbE
NICs are picky about such things.

If you are using 10GbE NICs with RJ45/UTP transceivers/connections,
you would need to use I think Cat6e or better UTP cable.  Best double
check that though, I've never used 10GbE over RJ45/UTP.

> And the same question also about connecting 40GB nics from Mellanox
> to other vebdors 40GB nics.

Similar rules would apply with 40 GbE.  I do not know of an RJ45/UTP
option at 40 Gigabit/s speeds.

rick jones
There's only yourself. The belief is in your own precision.  - Joubert
these opinions are mine, all mine; HPE might not want them anyway... :)
feel free to post, OR email to rick.jones2 in hpe.com but NOT BOTH...
0
Rick