FTP: 421 Service not available....

Hello all, I am running to this problem and I have no clue how to
solve it...if somebody can give me some ideas, I will really
appreciatted

I am trying to ftp a file. This is the process:

ftp -n nameofserver
user username password
cd /var/xx/xx/xx
ascii
put nameoffile
dir
bye

When i first do the ftp i get all this (I dont know if this is good or
bad):
220 bigbird FTP server (DG/UX Release R4.11MU06) ready.
500 Command not understood.
500 Command not understood.
KERBEROS_V4 rejected as an authentication type

Then I enter the username and password
and when I tried to put the file i get this message:
421 Service not available, remote server has closed connection
Passive mode refused.

Can this be a problem on the other end? I dont know what to do

On Fri, 15 Jun 2007 15:52:43 +0000, erick-flores rearranged some electrons
to form:

> Hello all, I am running to this problem and I have no clue how to
> solve it...if somebody can give me some ideas, I will really
> appreciatted
>
> I am trying to ftp a file. This is the process:
>
> ftp -n nameofserver
> user username password
> cd /var/xx/xx/xx
> ascii
> put nameoffile
> dir
> bye
>
> When i first do the ftp i get all this (I dont know if this is good or
> bad):
> 220 bigbird FTP server (DG/UX Release R4.11MU06) ready.
> 500 Command not understood.
> 500 Command not understood.
> KERBEROS_V4 rejected as an authentication type
>
> Then I enter the username and password
> and when I tried to put the file i get this message:
> 421 Service not available, remote server has closed connection
> Passive mode refused.
>
> Can this be a problem on the other end? I dont know what to do

Google is that way -->

"FTP 421" produced 1.5 million hits.

--
David M  (dmacchiarolo)
http://home.triad.rr.com/redsled

0
nospam21 (19047)
6/15/2007 5:02:51 PM
erick-flores wrote:
> Hello all, I am running to this problem and I have no clue how to
> solve it...if somebody can give me some ideas, I will really
> appreciatted
>
> I am trying to ftp a file. This is the process:
>
> ftp -n nameofserver
> user username password
> cd /var/xx/xx/xx
> ascii
> put nameoffile
> dir
> bye
>
> When i first do the ftp i get all this (I dont know if this is good or
> bad):
> 220 bigbird FTP server (DG/UX Release R4.11MU06) ready.
> 500 Command not understood.
> 500 Command not understood.
> KERBEROS_V4 rejected as an authentication type
>
> Then I enter the username and password
> and when I tried to put the file i get this message:
> 421 Service not available, remote server has closed connection
> Passive mode refused.
   ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
If it were me I'd try turning off passive mode.
0
joe248 (217)
6/15/2007 5:27:35 PM
How do I do that?

On Fri, 15 Jun 2007, in the Usenet newsgroup comp.os.linux.networking, in
article <1181922763.119526.308050@o61g2000hsh.googlegroups.com>, erick-flores
wrote:

>Hello all, I am running to this problem and I have no clue how to
>solve it...if somebody can give me some ideas, I will really
>appreciatted
>
>I am trying to ftp a file. This is the process:

Do you have permission to upload files to this server?

>ftp -n nameofserver
>user username password

OK - but see below

>cd /var/xx/xx/xx
>ascii
>put nameoffile

Do you have permission to put files there?  /var/ is normally used for
system variable data, logs, and spools.

>When i first do the ftp i get all this (I dont know if this is good or
>bad):
>220 bigbird FTP server (DG/UX Release R4.11MU06) ready.
>500 Command not understood.
>500 Command not understood.
>KERBEROS_V4 rejected as an authentication type

Well, the server doesn't like two commands you gave, though from the
sequence you show above, I have no idea what it is responding to.   The
KERBEROS_V4 protocol rejection suggests a configuration mismatch - again
no details to say what.

>Then I enter the username and password
>and when I tried to put the file i get this message:
>421 Service not available, remote server has closed connection

Obviously it doesn't like something you are trying, but you show no
context, so we have no idea what the responses are relating to. Try
cutting/pasting the console output so someone can SEE what you are doing
and what the server is doing in response. You can munge the server name,
username and password, but avoid doing any munging on the rest if you
expect people to understand your problem.

>Passive mode refused.

No context - no idea when this message was received. but the remote
server has already hung up the phone because it didn't like something
you said.

>Can this be a problem on the other end? I dont know what to do

As this is not a "normal" anonymous FTP transfer, discuss the with the
administrator of the DGSUX box.

        Old guy
0
ibuprofin2 (2868)
6/16/2007 11:54:04 PM
On Fri, 15 Jun 2007 13:02:51 -0400, David M wrote:

> On Fri, 15 Jun 2007 15:52:43 +0000, erick-flores rearranged some
> electrons to form:
>
>> Hello all, I am running to this problem and I have no clue how to solve
>> it...if somebody can give me some ideas, I will really appreciatted
>>
>> I am trying to ftp a file. This is the process:
>>
>> ftp -n nameofserver
>> user username password
>> cd /var/xx/xx/xx
>> ascii
>> put nameoffile
>> dir
>> bye
>>
>> When i first do the ftp i get all this (I dont know if this is good or
>> bad):
>> 220 bigbird FTP server (DG/UX Release R4.11MU06) ready. 500 Command not
>> understood.
>> 500 Command not understood.
>> KERBEROS_V4 rejected as an authentication type
>>
>> Then I enter the username and password and when I tried to put the file
>> i get this message: 421 Service not available, remote server has closed
>> connection Passive mode refused.
>>
>> Can this be a problem on the other end? I dont know what to do
>
> Google is that way -->
>
> "FTP 421" produced 1.5 million hits.

	Ie in this case, Google is pretty useless. It's interesting how
often people invoke the Google mantra, with useless suggestions like the
one above, as though they solved anything.

	If you want to help, rather than chastise the OP, do suggest a
useful approach to Google that returns a manageable number of hits. Of
course, that's much more difficult; on the other hand, any moron with
delusions can redirect anyone to Google.

0
IRosquist (73)
6/17/2007 12:00:31 AM
On Sun, 17 Jun 2007 00:00:31 +0000, Ivar Rosquist rearranged some
electrons to form:

> On Fri, 15 Jun 2007 13:02:51 -0400, David M wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 15 Jun 2007 15:52:43 +0000, erick-flores rearranged some
>> electrons to form:
>>
>>> Hello all, I am running to this problem and I have no clue how to solve
>>> it...if somebody can give me some ideas, I will really appreciatted
>>>
>>> I am trying to ftp a file. This is the process:
>>>
>>> ftp -n nameofserver
>>> user username password
>>> cd /var/xx/xx/xx
>>> ascii
>>> put nameoffile
>>> dir
>>> bye
>>>
>>> When i first do the ftp i get all this (I dont know if this is good or
>>> bad):
>>> 220 bigbird FTP server (DG/UX Release R4.11MU06) ready. 500 Command not
>>> understood.
>>> 500 Command not understood.
>>> KERBEROS_V4 rejected as an authentication type
>>>
>>> Then I enter the username and password and when I tried to put the file
>>> i get this message: 421 Service not available, remote server has closed
>>> connection Passive mode refused.
>>>
>>> Can this be a problem on the other end? I dont know what to do
>>
>> Google is that way -->
>>
>> "FTP 421" produced 1.5 million hits.
>
> 	Ie in this case, Google is pretty useless. It's interesting how
> often people invoke the Google mantra, with useless suggestions like the
> one above, as though they solved anything.
>
> 	If you want to help, rather than chastise the OP, do suggest a
> useful approach to Google that returns a manageable number of hits. Of
> course, that's much more difficult; on the other hand, any moron with
> delusions can redirect anyone to Google.

Any moron could see that the first 10 hits seemed relevant to
the OP's problem.

David M  (dmacchiarolo)

0
nospam21 (19047)
6/17/2007 5:17:13 AM
On Jun 16, 6:54 pm, ibupro...@painkiller.example.tld (Moe Trin) wrote:
> On Fri, 15 Jun 2007, in the Usenet newsgroup comp.os.linux.networking, in
> article <1181922763.119526.308...@o61g2000hsh.googlegroups.com>, erick-flores
> wrote:
>
> >Hello all, I am running to this problem and I have no clue how to
> >solve it...if somebody can give me some ideas, I will really
> >appreciatted
>
> >I am trying to ftp a file. This is the process:
>
> Do you have permission to upload files to this server?
>
> >ftp -n nameofserver
> >user username password
>
> OK - but see below
>
> >cd /var/xx/xx/xx
> >ascii
> >put nameoffile
>
> Do you have permission to put files there?  /var/ is normally used for
> system variable data, logs, and spools.
>
> >When i first do the ftp i get all this (I dont know if this is good or
> >bad):
> >220 bigbird FTP server (DG/UX Release R4.11MU06) ready.
> >500 Command not understood.
> >500 Command not understood.
> >KERBEROS_V4 rejected as an authentication type
>
> Well, the server doesn't like two commands you gave, though from the
> sequence you show above, I have no idea what it is responding to.   The
> KERBEROS_V4 protocol rejection suggests a configuration mismatch - again
> no details to say what.
>
> >Then I enter the username and password
> >and when I tried to put the file i get this message:
> >421 Service not available, remote server has closed connection
>
> Obviously it doesn't like something you are trying, but you show no
> context, so we have no idea what the responses are relating to. Try
> cutting/pasting the console output so someone can SEE what you are doing
> and what the server is doing in response. You can munge the server name,
> username and password, but avoid doing any munging on the rest if you
> expect people to understand your problem.
>
> >Passive mode refused.
>
> No context - no idea when this message was received. but the remote
> server has already hung up the phone because it didn't like something
> you said.
>
> >Can this be a problem on the other end? I dont know what to do
>
> As this is not a "normal" anonymous FTP transfer, discuss the with the
> administrator of the DGSUX box.
>
>         Old guy

Thanks for your reply.

Here is whats happening and its getting more confused:
This ftp process runs from a crontab. It runs every day (mon-fri) @
19:30.  When it runs it fails. But then when i run (the exact same
script) manually @ 8.35 every morning it runs just fine. Can be
something wrong in the crontab then?

this is how my crontab looks like:
30 19 * * 1-5 /usr/local/bin/x.autoextract        # Extract orders

Any ideas?

Thanks

erick-flores wrote:
> On Jun 16, 6:54 pm, ibupro...@painkiller.example.tld (Moe Trin) wrote:
>> On Fri, 15 Jun 2007, in the Usenet newsgroup comp.os.linux.networking, in
>> article <1181922763.119526.308...@o61g2000hsh.googlegroups.com>, erick-flores
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Hello all, I am running to this problem and I have no clue how to
>>> solve it...if somebody can give me some ideas, I will really
>>> appreciatted
>>> I am trying to ftp a file. This is the process:
>> Do you have permission to upload files to this server?
>>
>>> ftp -n nameofserver
>>> user username password
>> OK - but see below
>>
>>> cd /var/xx/xx/xx
>>> ascii
>>> put nameoffile
>> Do you have permission to put files there?  /var/ is normally used for
>> system variable data, logs, and spools.
>>
>>> When i first do the ftp i get all this (I dont know if this is good or
>>> bad):
>>> 220 bigbird FTP server (DG/UX Release R4.11MU06) ready.
>>> 500 Command not understood.
>>> 500 Command not understood.
>>> KERBEROS_V4 rejected as an authentication type
>> Well, the server doesn't like two commands you gave, though from the
>> sequence you show above, I have no idea what it is responding to.   The
>> KERBEROS_V4 protocol rejection suggests a configuration mismatch - again
>> no details to say what.
>>
>>> Then I enter the username and password
>>> and when I tried to put the file i get this message:
>>> 421 Service not available, remote server has closed connection
>> Obviously it doesn't like something you are trying, but you show no
>> context, so we have no idea what the responses are relating to. Try
>> cutting/pasting the console output so someone can SEE what you are doing
>> and what the server is doing in response. You can munge the server name,
>> username and password, but avoid doing any munging on the rest if you
>> expect people to understand your problem.
>>
>>> Passive mode refused.
>> No context - no idea when this message was received. but the remote
>> server has already hung up the phone because it didn't like something
>> you said.
>>
>>> Can this be a problem on the other end? I dont know what to do
>> As this is not a "normal" anonymous FTP transfer, discuss the with the
>> administrator of the DGSUX box.
>>
>>         Old guy
>
> Thanks for your reply.
>
> Here is whats happening and its getting more confused:
> This ftp process runs from a crontab. It runs every day (mon-fri) @
> 19:30.  When it runs it fails. But then when i run (the exact same
> script) manually @ 8.35 every morning it runs just fine. Can be
> something wrong in the crontab then?
>
> this is how my crontab looks like:
> 30 19 * * 1-5 /usr/local/bin/x.autoextract        # Extract orders

Could be time sensitivity on the ftp server.
Or environment dependencies in your script. cron jobs get a much smaller
set of env vars than do interactive jobs.
Try cron for 8:35 to tell for sure.
Check your scripts for env dependencies.
Post your script for further input.
0
joe248 (217)
6/18/2007 6:07:01 PM
> Could be time sensitivity on the ftp server.
> Or environment dependencies in your script. cron jobs get a much smaller
> set of env vars than do interactive jobs.
> Try cron for 8:35 to tell for sure.
> Check your scripts for env dependencies.
> Post your script for further input.- Hide quoted text -

OK, so here is my script that runs from the crontab. This script calls
another one (x.putcook) also posted below:

#!/bin/ksh

# Extract Cook orders that have been staged and send them to company

############################### CHANGE HISTORY
################################
# 06/14/07     Adapted to run properly on Linux.
# 01/10/07     Added logging.
# 11/12/04     Original version?

function usage {
    print "\nUsage: $Prog [ <date> [ <database> ] ]" >&2
    print "\t<date> - Date to extract as mm/dd/yy. Default is current
date." >&2
    print "\t<database> - Name of the database to use. Default is
$DB." >&2
    print "\nExample:" >&2
    print "\t$Prog 01/05/07 tfhtst" >&2
    print "\nExtract for Jan 5, 2007 using database tfhtst." >&2
    print "" >&2
}

# Parm 1 = Date in the form MM/DD/YY
# Parm 2 = (optional) tfhtst (If you want to use the test database)
# ex: x.autoextract 03/01/04 tfhtst
# RUNNING WITH NO PARMS WILL EXTRACT FOR TODAY AND tfhbiz
# Setting some env vars...

# Log an event with date and time. Variable $LOG specifies the log
file.
function logit {
    if [[ $1 = '-' ]]
    then
        shift
    else
        print -- "$@" >&2
    fi
    print "$( date +'%Y-%m-%d %T' ) $@" >>$LOG
}

# Trap various errors
function irupt {
    case $1 in
        1 ) logit "1. Disconnect"
            trap "" 1
            ;;
        2 ) logit "2. Interrupt by user"
            trap "" 2
            ;;
        15 )
            logit "15. Operator (root) kill."
            trap "" 15
            ;;
        * ) logit "$1. Unrecognized interrupt."
            trap "" $1
            ;;
    esac
    exitfunc $1
}

function exitfunc {
    logit "End $Prog, Status $1, $NERR errors."
    rm -f $ERRTMP
    exit $1
}

# ############################### START MAIN
##################################

Prog=$( basename $0 )
Pname=$( basename $0 .sh )

ExtDir=/export/extracts/cook            # Location of extract file.
DB=tfhbiz                               # Default database.
ERRTMP=/tmp/$Pname.err                  # Temp file for error output.
LOG=/var/local/log/$Pname.log           # Log file
let NERR=0                              # Number of errors
encountered.

print "" >&2
if [[ $1 = '--' ]]
then
    print "Extract order for company, and send them to company's
computer." >&2
    usage
    exit 0
fi

# Trap various errors.
trap "irupt 1" 1
trap "irupt 2" 2
trap "irupt 15" 15

DTG=$( date +'%m/%d/%y' )               # The current date.
print "" >>$LOG                         # Put blank line in the log.
logit "Begin $Prog $@"

# Set some environment variables, if needed.
if [[ -z ${INFORMIXSERVER:-''} ]]
then
    logit "Setting Informix environment."
    . /etc/hudgins1.profile             # Set the Informix environment
fi
if [[ -z ${fg:-''} ]]
then
    logit "Setting FG environment."
    . /etc/fg.profile                   # Set the FG environment
fi

DT=${1:-$DTG}                           # Get date argument, if any.
DB=${2:-$DB}                            # Get 2nd argument, if any.

case $DB in
    tfhtst )
        CookDir=/m1/fourgen/accounting/oe.4gm/x_cook.tst
        ;;
    tfhbiz )
        CookDir=/m1/fourgen/accounting/oe.4gm/x_cook.tfh
        ;;
    * ) print "****  Unrecognized database \"$DB\"." >&2
        (( NERR += 1 ))
        ;;
esac

if [[ $NERR -ne 0 ]]
then
    usage
    exitfunc 17
fi

mm=$( print ${DT}|cut -c1-2 )
dd=$( print ${DT}|cut -c4-5 )
yy=$( print ${DT}|cut -c7-8 )
FileDate=${yy}${mm}${dd}                    # Date stamp
FileName=TFH$FileDate.txt                   # Extract file name.

# moving to the working directory...
cd $CookDir
logit "Running company Auto-Extract for $DT using $DB."
sleep 3
fglgo ./x_cook.4gi AUTOEXTRACT DB=$DB PRIN=C DATE=$DT >$ERRTMP 2>&1
let es=$?
if [[ $es -eq 0  &&  -s $ExtDir/$FileName ]]
then
    let NL=$( cat $ExtDir/$FileName | wc -l )
    let NL=$NL-1
    logit "Successfully extracted $NL orders."
else
    logit "****  Problem running x_cook.4gi [$es]."
    (( NERR += 1 ))
    let es=$es+16
    exitfunc $es
fi

chmod 664 $ExtDir/$FileName
logit "Transferring orders to company for $DTG."
sleep 3
/usr/local/bin/x.putcook $FileDate >$ERRTMP 2>&1
let ES=$?
if [[ $ES -eq 0 ]]
then
    logit "Successfully transferred extracted orders to company."
else
    logit "****  Problem transferring orders to company [$ES]."
    (( NERR += 1 ))
fi

exitfunc $ES

x.putcook <================this script starts here

#!/bin/ksh

# Send Extracts to the company computer.

################################## CHANGE HISTORY
#############################
# 06/14/07     Adapted to run under Linux.
# 02/28/07     Fix typo in function stmt. Add usage function.
# 03/12/04     Original version.

function usage {
    print "\nUsage: $Prog <date>" >&2
    print "\t<date> - Date for file in the form yymmdd." >&2
    print "" >&2
}

# Parm 1 = YYMMDD file name
# x.putcook `date +%y%m%d`

function logit {
    if [[ $1 = '-' ]]
    then
        shift
    else
        print -- "$@" >&2
    fi
    print "$( date +'%Y-%m-%d %T' ) $@" >>$LOG
}

# Trap various errors
function irupt {
    case $1 in
        1 ) logit "1. Disconnect"
            trap "" 1
            ;;
        2 ) logit "2. Interrupt by user"
            trap "" 2
            ;;
        15 )
            logit "15. Operator (root) kill."
            trap "" 15
            ;;
        * ) logit "$1. Unrecognized interrupt."
            trap "" $1

;;
    esac
    exitfunc $1
}

function exitfunc {
    logit "End $Prog, Status $1, $NERR errors."
    rm -f $ERRTMP
    exit $1
}

################################## START MAIN
###############################

Prog=$( basename $0 )               # Program name.
Pname=$( basename $0 .sh )          # Program name w/o .sh extension,
if any.

ERRTMP=/tmp/$Pname.err              # Temp file for error output.
LOG=/var/local/log/$Pname.log       # Log file
let NERR=0                          # Number of errors encountered

if [[ $1 = '--' ]]
then
    print "\nTransmit the Cook extract file to the company computer."
>&2
    usage
    exit 0
fi

trap "irupt 1" 1
trap "irupt 2" 2
trap "irupt 15" 15

print "" >>$LOG                     # Put blank line in the log file
logit "Begin $Prog $@."

case $# in
    1 ) FILE=TFH${1}.txt            # Extract file to upload.
        ;;
    * ) logit "****  Missing required date argument."
        (( NERR ++ ))
        ;;
esac

if [[ $NERR -ne 0 ]]
then
exitfunc 17
fi

cd /export/extracts/cook            # Move to the extract directory.
if [[ ! -s $FILE ]]
then
    logit "****  Cannot fine $PWD/$FILE."
    (( NERR += 1 ))
    exitfunc 29
fi

let nb=$( cat $FILE | wc -l )       # Get byte count, just for the
record.

# The following FTP attempts two times to connect and send the file.
The first
# will probably fail with "421 Service not available...Turning off
passive
# mode." Upon reconnecting and logging in, the second put will
succeed.

ftp -n companyserver <<-EOF >$Pname.out 2>&1
    user username password
    cd /var/fs/home/branch/hudginsftp
    ascii
    put $FILE
    open companyserver
    user username password
    cd /var/fs/home/branch/hudginsftp
    ascii
    put $FILE
    dir
    bye
EOF

let es=$?                           # Capture the exit status from
FTP.

# The following grep command looks for the updloaded file in companys
directory.
# If found (exit status = 0), the transfer is assumed to be
successful.

if grep $FILE $Pname.out >/dev/null
then
    logit "Successfully uploaded $FILE to companyserver, $nb bytes."
else
    logit "**** Problem uploading $FILE [$es]."
    (( NERR += 1 ))
    let es=$es+64
fi
exitfunc $es

This script used to work with HP-UX, now that we moved to a Linux
server we tried to adapted but somehow is not working the right way.
Again this is the x.autoextract script that runs from the crontab. I
ran it yesterday at 20.30 and same result, it stop at: logit "****
Problem running x_cook.4gi [$es]." So it look like the problem/error
is in the x.putcook script. The weird thing is when i run it manually
in the morning and type the date argument for the last day, runs just
fine.
If you can take a quick look at this and let me know if you find
something out of place, please let me know.

Thanks in advance

Sorry I made a mistake the script stops at: ****  Problem transferring
orders to Cook [64]. not at: logit "****
Problem running x_cook.4gi [$es]."

On Mon, 18 Jun 2007, in the Usenet newsgroup comp.os.linux.networking, in
article <1182189289.228555.125450@o61g2000hsh.googlegroups.com>, erick-flores
wrote:

>Here is whats happening and its getting more confused:
>This ftp process runs from a crontab. It runs every day (mon-fri) @
>19:30.  When it runs it fails. But then when i run (the exact same
>script) manually @ 8.35 every morning it runs just fine.

Do you know if the DGSUX ftp server has any access time limitations?

>Can be something wrong in the crontab then?

Most certainly yes. The environment in cron is SUBSTANTIALLY less than
in your shell.  Use the command 'set' to see the difference. As a user
on this system, I see

[compton ~]$ set | wc -l
     41
[compton ~]$

41 lines of settings. As root, it's 44. In a cron task, it's only 20
lines, and those "missing" lines constantly trap individuals. Another
common problem is the PATH - in cron, it's usually quite restricted
(perhaps only "/sbin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin" - notice the lack of
"local" directories). Finally, though I'm not sure it's a problem,
cron doesn't "own" a terminal, so you may run into problems with where
'stdout' is going.

>this is how my crontab looks like:
>30 19 * * 1-5 /usr/local/bin/x.autoextract        # Extract orders

"/usr/local/bin" - this will _run_ OK, as long as _if_ it is calling
stuff that isn't in PATH, it calls it with a full pathname as you've
done in this crontab entry.

Second question - which crontab is this (system, or user?) and which
cron daemon in this. Neither here or in your original post do you
identify the Linux distribution and release.  For a _system_ crontab
(/etc/crontab) entry using 'vixie-cron' (the most common cron daemon),
there should be a variable between 'day-of-week' and 'command' that
identifies the user to run this job as. If this is an individual user's
crontab, OR if you are using 'dillon-cron' (found in Slackware and
clones), the username field should not be included (the way you show
this entry).

Note that neither 'vixie-cron' or 'dillon-cron' allow comments on
the individual command line - they are passed to the shell as if they
are part of the command, and that may not be what you desire.

        Old guy
0
ibuprofin2 (2868)
6/20/2007 2:36:26 AM
Well it looks like its working now. I added the word *passive* to turn
off passive mode in the ftp process, and its working just fine.

Thanks for your help

On Tue, 19 Jun 2007, in the Usenet newsgroup comp.os.linux.networking, in
article <1182266148.409382.23850@q75g2000hsh.googlegroups.com>, erick-flores
wrote:

>OK, so here is my script that runs from the crontab. This script calls
>another one (x.putcook) also posted below:
>
>#!/bin/ksh

Oh, my - not many people are using the Korn shell - Hopefully Chris
Johnson will see this and comment.  I'm not an expert, and someone has
put a good bit of work in developing the script.    I'm assuming this
posting is showing the effects of line-wrap in your browser.

># Set some environment variables, if needed.
>if [[ -z ${INFORMIXSERVER:-''} ]]
>then
>    logit "Setting Informix environment."
>    . /etc/hudgins1.profile             # Set the Informix environment
>fi
>if [[ -z ${fg:-''} ]]
>then
>    logit "Setting FG environment."
>    . /etc/fg.profile                   # Set the FG environment
>fi

Does the log (/var/local/log/$Pname.log) show the script setting either of
these environments?

># The following FTP attempts two times to connect and send the file.
>The first
># will probably fail with "421 Service not available...Turning off passive
># mode." Upon reconnecting and logging in, the second put will succeed.

One has to wonder why this occurs. The script doesn't allow for anything
except the first failure/second success.  Why is it failing in the first
attempt?

>ftp -n companyserver <<-EOF >$Pname.out 2>&1
>    user username password
>    cd /var/fs/home/branch/hudginsftp
>    ascii
>    put $FILE
>    open companyserver
>    user username password
>    cd /var/fs/home/branch/hudginsftp
>    ascii
>    put $FILE
>    dir
>    bye

Except for the fact that this sequence demands that the first attempt
fails, I don't see anything obvious.  Run a packet sniffer such as tcpdump
and capture the traffic. '/usr/sbin/tcpdump -n -s 1500 host companyserver'
will probably do the job.   The problem _SEEMS_ to be something in the
dialog to the server is incompatible - tcpdump should catch the dialog
between this script and the server (it should be in plain ASCII in crude
English), and you should then see what the server is barfing about. It
could be the expectation of first failure that is the problem.

Now I see your other reply that the word 'passiv' made things work, but if
this is done to the script, why is there a difference if the script is run
as a cron job verses running it from the command line.  Something still
smells fishy.

        Old guy
0
ibuprofin2 (2868)

A Strange - 421 Service not available, remote server has closed connection
Here is my machine configuration: I have 3 window server 2003. Each one hosts a VMWare server, which in turn contains both window based and linux based virtual machines. All the window based virtual machines have no problem connecting to any of the outside world FTP server. But all the linux based (i386- redhat-linux-gnu version 2.4.20-8) virtual machines returns the "421 Service not available, remote server has closed connection" error right after the username is entered. For instance: ftp> open wirefreethought.com Connected to wirefreethought.com (66.199.224.58). 220 (vsFT...

Generic network service/Application network service
Hi folks, Can anybody give me some pointers as to What are generic network services/ what they do etc What application network services are/ what they do What is the difference between low and high level network service any help will be much appreciated... ...

SN#19170 Sun Service Tag Service Now Available for Windows and Linux
SYSTEM NEWS FOR SUN USERS Vol 119 Issue 2 2008-01-07 Article 19170 from section "SysAdmin's Section" Keeps an Inventory List of System and Software Information, Eases Management Complexity If you haven't already heard, Sun Service tags are available for Linux and Windows along with the Solaris Operating System (Solaris OS). So now Sun Inventory (formerly known as the Sun Connection Inventory Channel) can be used to track, organize, and report on just about any x86 or SPARC server running these major operating systems. Details at http://sun.systemnews.com/g?A=19170 Have a custom version of 'System News for Sun Users' delivered to you via email each week in text or HTML. Only the sections that you select will be included in your copy of the news magazine. Subscribe at http://sun.systemnews.com/subscribe Free 4-week trial is available. (c) 2008 System News, Inc. http://www.systemnews.com ...

how to know other available linux in my network
Hi, What is the command to know all the other Linux available in my network, which I can connect with a ssh. Fab trighole wrote: > Hi, > > What is the command to know all the other Linux available in my > network, which I can connect with a ssh. > > Fab > "Hey anyone got a sshd login?" trighole staggered into the Black Sun and said: > What is the command to know all the other Linux [machines] available > [on] my network, which [are running] [sshd]? "nmap -p22 192.168.1.0/24" will show all machines that are accepting connections on port 22...

421 SMTP service not available
I was looking into some mail not arriving on a sendmail-8.13.0 machine. From several other hosts, telnetting to port 25 results in 421 SMTP service not available, closing transmission channel But mail is arriving... I can't tell if this response is only given to some IP addresses (why? and why ones I test from, but not most "real" mail servers?), or what. -- * John Oliver http://www.john-oliver.net/ * * California gun owners - protect your rights and join the CRPA today! * * http://www.crpa.org/ Free 3 month trial membership available * * ...

421 Service not available, closing channel.
I occasionally get this error when trying to send authenticated mail via PHP to Mercury SMTP Server. It appears about once a day (at different times) and when it does reports the service is unavailible for about 1 minute before it usually fixes itself. The log reports for all SMTP connections during this period. T 20060902 202725 44f6f71b Connection from 127.0.0.1 T 20060902 202725 44f6f71b HELO **** T 20060902 202725 44f6f71b MAIL FROM:<***@****> E 20060902 202725 44f6f71b Unexpected abort talking to 127.0.0.1 Any ideas what I need to be checking? Thanks in a...

NOVELL MOVING NETWORKING SERVICES TO LINUX
Posted June 24, 2003 6:00 AM Pacific Time Following up on its recent pledge to back Linux, Novell on Tuesday will announce that its networking services are being moved to the open source Linux platform. The company will announce Nterprise Linux Services, although the product will not ship until the end of this year. The package will consist of Novell's file, print, messaging, directory, and management services tailored to the Red Hat and SuSE distributions of Linux. Novell had pledged Linux support at its BrainShare user conference in Salt Lake City in April For the full story: http://...

Does Network library source available for Linux?.
Does Network library source available for Linux?. I am looking for source code for all N/W library calls (gethostbyname, gethostbyaddress...). Thanks. With single NIC card in the system, Does it possible to enable bridge code and compile and load onto the system?. Need to test some protocol related to bridge, that is why I woul dlike to enable bridge code, any idea, thanks. santa19992000@yahoo.com wrote: > Does Network library source available for Linux?. I am looking for > source code for all N/W library calls (gethostbyname, > gethostbyaddress...). Thanks. They are in the C libr...

ftp configuration by xinitd (yast network services)
Dear experts, I have installed Suse 8.2 Proff. and i want to work with an ftp-server only with welknown users over the internet. i have looked in Yast Network services ( configuration xinitd ) and saw different services of ftp when i enable it. but whichone is the right type of ftpservice to choose service type protocol server ---------------------------------------- ftp stream tcp /usr/bin/vsftpd 1 ftp tcp in.ftpd (ftpd) 2 ftp tcp pure-ftp (pure-ftpd) 3 tftp udp in. tftpd (tftpd) 4 i am sure that nr. 4 with udp protocol isn't the rightone nr. 1 is a secure connection with password security but what is the difference between nr 2 and 3 which type of ftp-connection can i use for normal exchange of files by the internet is that nr 2 or 3. Any help is appreciated M@rinu$ ...

FTP Service Rules on OS X Server
We are running 10.3.5 on a Xserve which, among other services, handles ftp. We have a client who cannot connect to our FTP server under active mode. Passive is not enabled in my router as only ports 20 and 21 point to the FTP server. Is there a workaround for this client to connect? If I open up a wide range of ports, does this not pose a security risk? My router only allows me to specify the port I want and point it at a specific IP address. It doesn't allow for a range of ports to be opened. After speaking with Apple, they said I could custom configure some rules via the command l...

Linux, Linux, Linux

[News] On Linux Reliability, Availability. and Serviceability Tools
Linux: Reliability, Availability. and Serviceability ,----[ Quote ] | A recent patch posted to the lkml aimed to make it possible to use both kdb | and kdump at the same time, and instead led to an interesting discussion | about RAS (Reliability, Availability, and Serviceability) tools. | | [...] | | Andrew Morton summarized the current state of affairs, "lots of different | groups, little commonality in their desired funtionality, little interest in | sharing infrastructure or concepts." `---- http://kerneltrap.org/node/14050 Sounds like he is describing proprietary softw...

[News] University Provides Service for Linux Installs Over the Network
The University Computer Club: Ubuntu Port ,----[ Quote ] | Using the Port | | To install Ubuntu on your machine, follow these easy-peasy | steps: | | 1. Plug in via Ethernet (try not to steal Ethernet cables from a | machine); | 2. Reboot your machine `---- http://ucc.asn.au/ ...

RISC OS on Puppy Linux Puplet now available
RISC OS on Puppy Linux is now available as a direct download link from the Puppy Linux downloads page: (http://www.puppylinux.org/downloads/puplets). RISC OS on Puppy Linux takes RPCEmu 0.8.2 Spoon Edition(complete with RISC OS 4 disk structure and additional applications) and combines it with the light weight Puppy Linux distribution to create a Live CD combining Puppy Linux 4.12 and RPCEmu(including networking). All you need to do is drop in the RISC OS 4 ROM images and you have a RISC OS on Puppy Linux Live CD. Install onto your local hdd or memory stick for simplicity, or simpl...

Any IDE's available for Palm OS development under Linux?
After struggling for hours to get J2ME working in JBuilder 9, then discovering that there is no real support for PDA's (forms, buttons, etc.), I'm looking for an IDE that will allow me to develop Palm OS apps under Linux. So far I haven't found any. -Thanks ...

Any Documentaion about How Linux Networking IP stack looklike between Linux PC (single NIC card) and Router with multiple Network interfaces (LAN and WAN)?
Any Documenttaion about How Linux IP Networking stack looklike bwteen Linux PC (single NIC card) and Router with multiple Network interfaces running on Linux (LAN and WAN)?. appreciated for links or some documentation. Thanks. ...

UTL_SMTP
We have just set up a Windows 2003 Server with Oracle 9i. We are trying to use UTL_SMTP in a PL/SQL procedure to send an email using our mail server IP (mail server is a different server) and port and we get ORA-29278: SMTP transient error: 421 Service not available We also checked a Java application (outside of Oracle) on the same server that does a send mail and it also can not connect to the Mail Server. *However*, Outlook express on the same server to the same mail server address does work. This tends to rule out the mail server and any firewall as causing the problem...? The PL/SQL procedure is correct as it was copied from another server that sends emails. It seems there is something on the server that does not allow the PL/SQL or the non-Oracle java application to connect to the mail server but does allow Outlook Express to connect to the mail server. Any ideas what to check? dgriffi2@tampabay.rr.com (Dennis Griffith) wrote in news:171029db.0409041011.4566c7e2@posting.google.com: > We have just set up a Windows 2003 Server with Oracle 9i. > > We are trying to use UTL_SMTP in a PL/SQL procedure to send an email > using our mail server IP (mail server is a different server) and port > and we get > ORA-29278: SMTP transient error: 421 Service not available > We also checked a Java application (outside of Oracle) on the same > server that does a send mail and it also can not connect to the Mail > ...

A Strange problem
Everything works fine before, but suddenly the error occurs since yesterday. Here is my machine configuration: I have three Window Server 2003 machines. Each one hosts a VMWare server, which in turn contains both window based and linux based virtual machines. All the window based virtural machines have no problem connecting to any outside world FTP server. But the linux based (i386-redhat-linux- gnu) virutal machines return the "421 Service not available, remote server has closed connection" error right after the "username" is entered. For instance: ftp> open wiref...

Free Download Ebook for linux networking guide | http://freepdf-ebook.blogspot.com/2007/12/linux-network-admin-guide.html
i have linux networking guide, their format is pdf, you can download it for free http://freepdf-ebook.blogspot.com/2007/12/linux-network-admin-guide.html Tony Andreas wrote: > i have linux networking guide, their format is pdf, you can download > it for free > http://freepdf-ebook.blogspot.com/2007/12/linux-network-admin-guide.html i have problems resolving the domain name of this link: http://www.mybook.000webhost.info/Linux%20Network%20Admin%20Guide.pdf goarilla <"kevin DOT paulus AT skynet DOT be"> wrote: > Tony Andreas wrote: >> i have linux networking...

audio streaming,chating,ftp between linux server and windows client in a network
i am doing a final semester project on this topic,so please help on this topic laky wrote: > > i am doing a final semester project on this topic,so please help on > this topic OK. Read your textbooks and pay attention in class. Do your own homework. Learn how to capitalize and punctuate sentences. Learn how to write coherent sentences. -- "If you want to post a followup via groups.google.com, don't use the broken "Reply" link at the bottom of the article. Click on "show options" at the top of the article, then click on the "Reply"...

Integrating my OS X system into my Linux network for happy iTunes use
I want (eventually) to keep the bulk of my music on my ex-desktop, which has tons of space. However, I want to keep some of it (that may overlap, and will *certainly* change from time to time) on my laptop. I've found an applescript that will allow me to switch libraries in iTunes, which I think is the right choice for that aspect of things. What I'm more interested in is how to set OS X up to A) detect that it is in my local network, and if so, B) automatically mount an NFS share exported from my server box. I'm gathering that it probably has something to do wit...

Trying to look for Linux Networking files (Ethernet related), any Document available?

SN#14929 Sun[TM] Studio Compiler for Linux OS Available
SYSTEM NEWS FOR SUN USERS Vol 90 Issue 5 2005-08-29 Article 14929 from section "Developer's Section" Alpha Download of Latest Build Runs on x64/x86-based Systems An alpha release of the build of Sun[TM] Studio compilers for the Linux OS is available for download from the Sun Download Center. This version is being made freely available to the Linux community for evaluation purposes on x64 (AMD64) and x86-based systems. Sun does caution that alpha releases are technology previews. Details at http://sun.systemnews.com/g?A=14929 Have a custom version of 'System News for Sun Users' delivered to you via email each week in PDF, text or HTML. Only the sections that you select will be included in your copy of the news magazine. Subscribe at http://sun.systemnews.com/subscribe (c) 2005 System News, Inc. http://www.systemnews.com ...

Web resources about - FTP: 421 Service not available.... - comp.os.linux.networking

Jenner's offer to be 'trans ambassador' for Cruz draws some fire
By Alex Dobuzinskis and Piya Sinha-Roy LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - Reality star Caitlyn Jenner's offer to be a "trans ambassador" to U.S. Republican ...

iPhone 7 rumor claims Intel will help deliver faster wireless speeds than ever before
The iPhone 7 might deliver faster wireless speeds than ever before and we might have Intel to thank. According to a CLSA research note seen by ...

Marcia Clark doubts legitimacy of knife found on O.J. Simpson's property
LOS ANGELES — Marcia Clark, the head prosecutor in the O. J. Simpson murder case, has a theory about why a knife that was reportedly found on ...

Fred's' Reports Higher February Comps on Pharmacy Growth
Fred's Inc. (FRED) has been reporting higher comparable-store sales (comps) for quite a while now driven by the sales-boosting initiatives and ...

New experimental feature allows select local businesses to display custom content directly in Google ...
Greg Sterling / Search Engine Land : New experimental feature allows select local businesses to display custom content directly in Google search ...

New Windows 10 preview build brings Cortana to new countries
Microsoft is bringing its virtual assistant Cortana to Brazil, Mexico, and French-speaking Canadians with a major update to the Windows 10 beta ...

If 'House of Cards' schemer Frank Underwood joined the US presidential race
Commentary: CNET's Eric Mack imagines how Kevin Spacey's Machiavellian character might manipulate the race to finally get what he wants, and ...

Found Not Guilty: Man Accused of Raping, Kidnapping 15-Year-Old Barely Escapes Long Prison Term
Isidro Madrano Garcia was found not guilty of raping and kidnapping a woman, who was 15 at the time, and later became his wife and had his child. ...

The Tragically Similar Lives of Bobbi Kristina Brown and Whitney Houston
OCRegister The Tragically Similar Lives of Bobbi Kristina Brown and Whitney Houston E! Online Whitney Houston's death on the eve of the Grammys ...

See What the Presidential Dropouts Spent on Their Campaigns
As the 2016 presidential race moves closer to selecting party nominees for November’s general election, the list of presidential contenders that ...