I can't find eth0 (or don't know how to look)

Here's the deal: I've got RH 7.3 running just fine until an hour ago.
I crashed a Matlab session and decided it was a good time to reboot
my machine. The shutdown process hung at some point leaving the
note "No more processes at this level", and after about 5 minutes
I hit the reset button.

When the machine came back up, it complained about the ethernet
interface, saying this:

"Bringing up interface eth0: Error, some other host already uses address
[my IP address]"

Plus, I get a big fat red "FAILED" on the screen, just to make me
feel better.

How do I get my box to behave again?

I'm pretty much out of clues, so any you folks have would be
a pure treat.

Thanks,

Dale.

hey dale,

could you give some details : are you in a LAN ?

vivekian

0
viveklinux (65)
11/19/2005 4:07:52 AM
W. Dale Hall wrote:
> Here's the deal: I've got RH 7.3 running just fine until an hour ago.
> I crashed a Matlab session and decided it was a good time to reboot
> my machine. The shutdown process hung at some point leaving the
> note "No more processes at this level", and after about 5 minutes
> I hit the reset button.
>
> When the machine came back up, it complained about the ethernet
> interface, saying this:
>
> "Bringing up interface eth0: Error, some other host already uses address
> [my IP address]"
>
> Plus, I get a big fat red "FAILED" on the screen, just to make me
> feel better.
>
> How do I get my box to behave again?
>
> I'm pretty much out of clues, so any you folks have would be
> a pure treat.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Dale.

What does "ifconfig -a" report?

I'm going to make a guess and assume two things: the system is on a
network with a dhcp server (possibly a router), and the machine has a
script with a hardcoded IP address that it tries to use at boot.  Now
that the machine is up, I suggest trying to assign a different IP for
eth0 on the same subnet.

eg., if the machine expects eth0 to have the IP 10.1.190.10, I suggest
pinging 10.1.190.11 (to check if a second machine is using it), and if
it's free, run "ipconfig eth0 inet 10.1.190.11".  Now on the machine,
try and ping other machines on the network and see if your issue is
resolved.
0
sdnick484 (12)
11/19/2005 4:56:45 AM
vivekian wrote:
> hey dale,
>
> could you give some details : are you in a LAN ?
>
> vivekian

Yes. I have a fixed IP address (unlike all but one other
machine on this LAN), due to my Matlab license server
needing to see a specific IP address.

Dale (posting from home rather than work)
0
wd-hall (1)
11/19/2005 6:37:41 PM
On Sat, 19 Nov 2005 04:56:45 +0000, Nicholas Andrade wrote:

>> "Bringing up interface eth0: Error, some other host already uses address
>> [my IP address]"

well. that's the problem.

0
me12 (771)
11/19/2005 8:33:23 PM
"W. Dale Hall" <wd-hall@pacbell.net> writes:

>vivekian wrote:
>> hey dale,
>>
>> could you give some details : are you in a LAN ?
>>
>> vivekian
>>
>Yes. I have a fixed IP address (unlike all but one other
>machine on this LAN), due to my Matlab license server
>needing to see a specific IP address.

ifconfig -a
will show if you have eth0, and tell you what IP address it thinks it has.
modprobe eth0
will probably install the ethernet card driver, assuming it is entered into
/etc/modprobe.conf

0
unruh-spam (2990)
11/19/2005 8:47:40 PM
W. Dale Hall wrote:

> Here's the deal: I've got RH 7.3 running just fine until an hour ago.
> I crashed a Matlab session and decided it was a good time to reboot
> my machine. The shutdown process hung at some point leaving the
> note "No more processes at this level", and after about 5 minutes
> I hit the reset button.
>
> When the machine came back up, it complained about the ethernet
> interface, saying this:
>
> "Bringing up interface eth0: Error, some other host already uses address
> [my IP address]"
>
> Plus, I get a big fat red "FAILED" on the screen, just to make me
> feel better.
>
> How do I get my box to behave again?
>
> I'm pretty much out of clues, so any you folks have would be
> a pure treat.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Dale.

I had a few crashes with my Fedora PC where even rebooting would not
get the ethernet port back. The /etc/init.d/network script
would fail when it tried to find the eth0 hardware
(oddly, running dmesg showed that the kernel saw the eth0 port)

I think the problem is that on ATX boards, the motherboard has components
that are still powered. For example if your board has wake on LAN, then
the ethernet circuitry has power on it even if you power off the PC
(obviously it has to, how could it detect network activity to wake up the
PC). I had to power down the box and then toggle the hardware
power switch on the back of the power supply. After that it could see the
port again.  I've had similar problems with some Scsi cards where a warm
boot cycle would not clear a problem on the scsi card and I had to do
a cold reboot (ie complete cycle the power).

so keeping it simple, I'd suggest you try a full power down, then reboot
as see if it finds the port.

mark

0
none (28)
11/20/2005 2:35:09 AM

W. Dale Hall wrote:

.... a buncha stuff, culminating in:

> How do I get my box to behave again?
>
> I'm pretty much out of clues, so any you folks have would be a pure
> treat.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Dale.

Thanks to all for the hints; the clues regarding use of
ifconfig (coupled with downloading an ip scanner to see
what was what) turned out to do the trick.

One thing that left me puzzled was that (1) there was
apparently a new device at the IP address I wanted
(confirmed by a ping response even when my linux box
was physically disconnected from the LAN), (2) when I
assigned my linux box to that IP address (via ifconfig),
the thing worked (except for connection to the internet;
I got LAN access only), despite the presence of this
device up to the point of my reassigning the IP address,
and when I rebooted, the other device was gone and my
machine assumed the correct address as though nothing
had happened.

I'm not complaining, but I'm surely confused enough.

Thanks to all, again,

Dale.

W. Dale Hall wrote:
> Thanks to all for the hints; the clues regarding use of
> ifconfig (coupled with downloading an ip scanner to see
> what was what) turned out to do the trick.
>
> One thing that left me puzzled was that (1) there was
> apparently a new device at the IP address I wanted
> (confirmed by a ping response even when my linux box
> was physically disconnected from the LAN), (2) when I
> assigned my linux box to that IP address (via ifconfig),
> the thing worked (except for connection to the internet;
> I got LAN access only), despite the presence of this
> device up to the point of my reassigning the IP address,
> and when I rebooted, the other device was gone and my
> machine assumed the correct address as though nothing
> had happened.
>
> I'm not complaining, but I'm surely confused enough.
>
> Thanks to all, again,
>
> Dale.

Glad to hear it worked out.  It's my guess that the reason you couldn't
connect outward was because of the way you assigned your IP (I imagine
you simply used ifconfig eth0 inet XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX).  You just set an
address -- rather than used dhcp to grab an IP -- so your resolv.conf
probably wasn't configured.  Resolv.conf points to you DNS server, I'd
be willing to bet you actually could connect to the internet via IP
addresses, but not by URL's.  When you rebooted, the machine grabbed the
IP via DHCP during the startup.
0
sdnick484 (12)
11/23/2005 11:45:20 PM
Nicholas Andrade <SDNick484@nospam.yahoo.com> writes:

>W. Dale Hall wrote:
>> Thanks to all for the hints; the clues regarding use of
>> ifconfig (coupled with downloading an ip scanner to see
>> what was what) turned out to do the trick.
>>
>> One thing that left me puzzled was that (1) there was
>> apparently a new device at the IP address I wanted
>> (confirmed by a ping response even when my linux box
>> was physically disconnected from the LAN), (2) when I

Linux is intelligent to know that if you are refering to y ourself you do
not need to go onto the net. Yourself is already present where yourself is
located.

>> assigned my linux box to that IP address (via ifconfig),
>> the thing worked (except for connection to the internet;
>> I got LAN access only), despite the presence of this
>> device up to the point of my reassigning the IP address,
>> and when I rebooted, the other device was gone and my
>> machine assumed the correct address as though nothing
>> had happened.

No idea what you mean.

>> I'm not complaining, but I'm surely confused enough.
>>
>> Thanks to all, again,
>>
>> Dale.
>>

>Glad to hear it worked out.  It's my guess that the reason you couldn't
>connect outward was because of the way you assigned your IP (I imagine
>you simply used ifconfig eth0 inet XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX).  You just set an
>address -- rather than used dhcp to grab an IP -- so your resolv.conf
>probably wasn't configured.  Resolv.conf points to you DNS server, I'd
>be willing to bet you actually could connect to the internet via IP
>addresses, but not by URL's.  When you rebooted, the machine grabbed the
>IP via DHCP during the startup.
0
unruh-spam (2990)

OS X
after a bit of reading, it looks like I did a veeeeery shtupid thing... (I'm copying my post to this newsgroup, as the alt.sys.mac.newuser-help group didn't look quite as highly-trafficked...) anyways, here's what I did... ----------------------------------- in an effort to help the owner of a nice shiny new eMac 'clean up' their personal folder, I moved a few items... including the Library folder! it appears.... correct me if I'm wrong... that Mac OS X then created a NEW library... so we restarted it, and all the Quicken data, dialup info, (etc.) was gone... so we ...

I don't work for IBM and I don't make promises I can't deliver on
I wish I could afford an advertising campaign to compete with what they have on the Internet now. I promise to go totally ballistic at the next LLLNL contract. Robert. On 8/12/2011 11:24 PM, Robert Myers wrote: > I wish I could afford an advertising campaign to compete with what they > have on the Internet now. > > I promise to go totally ballistic at the next LLLNL contract. > > Robert. I don't work for IBM (anymore) either. If you are talking about the death of Blue Waters, I don't believe they said they couldn't deliver. They said they chose not to because they would lose a bunch of money on the project since it turned out to cost a lot more than the initial guess. And I guess Ben chose not to print some more to pay for it. On Aug 24, 11:17=A0pm, Del Cecchi <delcec...@gmail.com> wrote: > On 8/12/2011 11:24 PM, Robert Myers wrote: > > > I wish I could afford an advertising campaign to compete with what they > > have on the Internet now. > > > I promise to go totally ballistic at the next LLLNL contract. > > > Robert. > > I don't work for IBM (anymore) either. =A0If you are talking about the > death of Blue Waters, I don't believe they said they couldn't deliver. > They said they chose not to because they would lose a bunch of money on > the project since it turned out to cost a lot more than the initial guess= .. > > And I guess Ben chose not to print some mor...

I don't mind Linux. It's the fan club I can't stand.
Linux: A sheer waste of processing time. On Thu, 09 Feb 2006 23:42:08 -0500, Ana Thema wrote: > Linux: A sheer waste of processing time. Ana Thema ... a witch in search of batteries... -- Rick <http://ricks-place.tripod.com/sound/2cents.wav> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Ana Thema <anathema@gmail.net> wrote on Thu, 09 Feb 2006 23:42:08 -0500 <o96ou15hrlhepdpdr7pkbefq3ep4e31ve1@ax4.com>: > Linux: A sheer waste of processing time. > Well of course it is; everyone should just use Windows instead. The occasional hangs, glitches, and crashes are more than compensa...

What we don't know we can't think about 1
What we don't know we can't think about 1 We can make a lot of noise. And the history is full of the same noise. We are busy, and sometimes we have bright results and we are glad with it. Of course, what else. But looking at history nearly nothing stayed. Don't we remember that our earth was flat. They were the same people as we and now we have of course such ideas as well. The most cautious poster we have here is Glen. He calls all our theories, our models, our ideas, presumptions. And please proof of it's not true. Do you know we mathematicians proof all the time Glen is...

AOL 9.0 don't do it just don't . Don't even think of it.
I had 8.0, and it ran fine. I downloaded 9.0 and that was the end of my computer never having a problem. 3 years and no problems. 1 week with AOL 9.0 and I've had 27 error messages , sign offs and other problems. AOL was no help. They can't even admit it has a problem. So I had to REFORMAT MY HARD DRIVE AND INSTALL ALL MY PROGRAMS AND ALL MY SAVED FILES. Needless to say I no longer have AOL at all. Reformat and get rid of it. ...

Linux crapware victim: Mepis8 'collapsed'... webcams don't work on Ubuntu 12.04..."Don't tell me to build a kernel..."
"I need my webcam to work with flash on web pages so that I can speak to family members overseas (Kopete and suchlike). I used mepis8 for years and everything was perfect, my webcams (three different makes), printers and anything else I cared to plug in worked from the off. lovely!! Then mepis8 collapsed suddenly and nothing worked. I tried the newer mepis variants and every other linux distro that I came across to solve the problem, but nothing works. I'm now using ubuntu 12.04, because it's not windows I suppose, but it's far from what I need. Can anybody on here please tell me how to make any one of my webcams work on Ubuntu 12.04 with flash? Don't tell me it's the manufacturer's fault, because they worked on Mepis8. Don't tell me to build a kernel and add some Su (or do or sudo) and add a line et al because it's all gibberish to me. Keep it simple please. Complicated is fine as long as it's step by step or copy and paste. Unfortunately, after about 12 years on linux, I will be driven back to windows if I don't get some help. The Mepis forums used to be excellent for advice because there weren't any bigheads showing off their superior knowledge of linux on it. The Ubuntu forums seem to be the opposite, more than 1000 posts (in two threads) on why they prefer ubuntu to xp, but none of them can help me get my webcam working!!!! So this is the challenge, before ...

can't find port;error 630-MS doesn't know
I have ll xps t-800 with a modem card, purchased second hand, no docs. I get "cannot open port" at the diagnostics tab in win98 I get "error 630" when trying to dial out on new DUN. Modem not responding. Debug at d40:0 shows only port 1 following w98 help instructions as far as I understand them. Yet device manager and system info clearly shows the standard 56K modem at com5 Interrupt 10. Trying to send echo atdt and other commands in dos yields nothing. How do I get this modem to wake up. My laptop give essentially the same output in debug a...

Do You Want To Know For Sure That You Are Going To Heaven? The reason some people don't know for sure if they are going to Heaven when they die is because they just don't know. The good news is
The reason some people don't know for sure if they are going to Heaven when they die is because they just don't know. The good news is that you can know for sure that you are going to Heaven which is described in the Holy Bible as a beautiful place with no death, sorrow, sickness or pain. God tells us in the Holy Bible how simple it is to be saved so that we can live forever with Him in Heaven. "For if you confess with your mouth Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you WILL BE SAVED." (Romans 10:9) Over 2000 years ago God came from ...

[...]

Do You Want To Know For Sure That You Are Going To Heaven? The reason some people don't know for sure if they are going to Heaven when they die is because they just don't know. The good news is #7
The reason some people don't know for sure if they are going to Heaven when they die is because they just don't know. The good news is that you can know for sure that you are going to Heaven which is described in the Holy Bible as a beautiful place with no death, sorrow, sickness or pain. God tells us in the Holy Bible how simple it is to be saved so that we can live forever with Him in Heaven. "For if you confess with your mouth Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you WILL BE SAVED." (Romans 10:9) Over 2000 years ago God came from ...

Do You Want To Know For Sure That You Are Going To Heaven? The reason some people don't know for sure if they are going to Heaven when they die is because they just don't know. The good news is #4
The reason some people don't know for sure if they are going to Heaven when they die is because they just don't know. The good news is that you can know for sure that you are going to Heaven which is described in the Holy Bible as a beautiful place with no death, sorrow, sickness or pain. God tells us in the Holy Bible how simple it is to be saved so that we can live forever with Him in Heaven. "For if you confess with your mouth Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you WILL BE SAVED." (Romans 10:9) Over 2000 years ago God came from ...

Do You Want To Know For Sure That You Are Going To Heaven? The reason some people don't know for sure if they are going to Heaven when they die is because they just don't know. The good news is #2
[...]

Do You Want To Know For Sure That You Are Going To Heaven? The reason some people don't know for sure if they are going to Heaven when they die is because they just don't know. The good news is #3
[...]

Do You Want To Know For Sure That You Are Going To Heaven? The reason some people don't know for sure if they are going to Heaven when they die is because they just don't know. The good news is #6
The reason some people don't know for sure if they are going to Heaven when they die is because they just don't know. The good news is that you can know for sure that you are going to Heaven which is described in the Holy Bible as a beautiful place with no death, sorrow, sickness or pain. God tells us in the Holy Bible how simple it is to be saved so that we can live forever with Him in Heaven. "For if you confess with your mouth Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you WILL BE SAVED." (Romans 10:9) Over 2000 years ago God came from ...

Web resources about - I can't find eth0 (or don't know how to look) - comp.os.linux.networking