I want to study linux network but I have not a network

HI,

I am using debian 3.0 as my linux PC and I want to study the linux
network administartion. When I only have one pc, is it possible for me
to study it on this only one PC?

Is any emulation that can be done to construct a virtual network within
my PC?

Any help appreciated!

Chen
0
binch (2)

On Tue, 02 Nov 2004 19:06:40 +0800, Chen Bin wrote:
> HI,
>
> I am using debian 3.0 as my linux PC and I want to study the linux
> network administartion. When I only have one pc, is it possible for me
> to study it on this only one PC?
>
> Is any emulation that can be done to construct a virtual network within
> my PC?

You can use Vmware (www.vmware.com), but it's quite expensive. The
workstation edition costs $189. But you can get a 30 day fully
functioning trial version.

--
Rolf Arne Schulze
Trans-atlantic weightloss challenge: http://tawlc.net/
In comp.os.linux.networking Chen Bin <binch@mobilesoft.com.cn>:
> HI,

> I am using debian 3.0 as my linux PC and I want to study the linux
> network administartion. When I only have one pc, is it possible for me
> to study it on this only one PC?

> Is any emulation that can be done to construct a virtual network within
> my PC?

You can do almost anything just over loop-back, like "ssh
localhost" no need for any emulation, you already have one.

#bofh excuse 349: Stray Alpha Particles from memory packaging
caused Hard Memory Error on Server.
0
USENET22 (5551)
11/2/2004 11:43:32 AM
Chen Bin wrote:

> I am using debian 3.0 as my linux PC and I want to study the linux
> network administartion. When I only have one pc, is it possible for me
> to study it on this only one PC?
>
> Is any emulation that can be done to construct a virtual network within
> my PC?

Here's a possibility: get a second PCI NIC card, and plug it
into your PC (if you don't already have one, get two).
Give it an IP address.  Your PC now has two physical network
interfaces.  connect them with a crossover cable, and bang,
you've got a real, physical network.

In a lot of places, PCI NIC cards are really cheap...I don't know
about .cn, though.  :-)

Duke

0
duke11 (340)
11/2/2004 6:56:09 PM
Chen Bin <binch@mobilesoft.com.cn> writes:

> I am using debian 3.0 as my linux PC and I want to study the linux
> network administartion. When I only have one pc, is it possible for
> me to study it on this only one PC?
>
> Is any emulation that can be done to construct a virtual network
> within my PC?

If you want a virtual network, you might want to check out User-Mode
Linux. It lets you run several instances of linux kernel on one
system, each with its own network interfaces and the ability to talk
to each other.

  http://user-mode-linux.sourceforge.net/

Regards,
--
* Michal Wojciechowski
* odyniec -at- odyniec -dot- net
On Tue, 02 Nov 2004 13:56:09 -0500, Duke Robillard wrote:

> Chen Bin wrote:
>
>> I am using debian 3.0 as my linux PC and I want to study the linux
>> network administartion. When I only have one pc, is it possible for me
>> to study it on this only one PC?
>>
>> Is any emulation that can be done to construct a virtual network within
>> my PC?
>
> Here's a possibility: get a second PCI NIC card, and plug it into your PC
> (if you don't already have one, get two). Give it an IP address.  Your PC
> now has two physical network interfaces.  connect them with a crossover
> cable, and bang, you've got a real, physical network.

Over which no traffic will flow at all, as the kernel is intelligent
enough to recognise local traffic and not send it all the way down the
stack to the hardware layer.

Michal's suggestion of UML is good; alternatively, the OP could scrounge a
486 (laptop if space is tight) and install Slackware or similar. A 10Mb
PCI or PCMCIA NIC can be got very cheaply and is all that is needed for
both installing Slackware and the testing itself.

Regards, Ian
0
ian73 (351)
11/2/2004 9:22:45 PM
Ian Northeast wrote:
> On Tue, 02 Nov 2004 13:56:09 -0500, Duke Robillard wrote:
>
>>Chen Bin wrote:
>>
>>>I am using debian 3.0 as my linux PC and I want to study the linux
>>>network administartion. When I only have one pc, is it possible for me
>>>to study it on this only one PC?
>>>
>>>Is any emulation that can be done to construct a virtual network within
>>>my PC?
>>
>>Here's a possibility: get a second PCI NIC card, and plug it into your PC
>>(if you don't already have one, get two). Give it an IP address.  Your PC
>>now has two physical network interfaces.  connect them with a crossover
>>cable, and bang, you've got a real, physical network.
>
> Over which no traffic will flow at all, as the kernel is intelligent
> enough to recognise local traffic and not send it all the way down the
> stack to the hardware layer.

Well, that sucks.  :-)

Hmmm...maybe if you added one of those little $50 NAT/"Router" boxes
from Linksys or D-Link or someone, and plugged into that instead of
using a crossover?  Seems like that would make the destination non-local.

Duke

0
duke11 (340)
11/3/2004 9:49:21 PM
Duke Robillard <duke@NOSPAMio.com> wrote:
>Ian Northeast wrote:
>>Duke Robillard wrote:

>>>Here's a possibility: get a second PCI NIC card, and plug it into your PC
>>>(if you don't already have one, get two). Give it an IP address.  Your PC
>>>now has two physical network interfaces.  connect them with a crossover
>>>cable, and bang, you've got a real, physical network.
>>
>> Over which no traffic will flow at all, as the kernel is
>> intelligent
>> enough to recognise local traffic and not send it all the way down the
>> stack to the hardware layer.
>
>Well, that sucks.  :-)

Actually that is a *very* good thing.

>Hmmm...maybe if you added one of those little $50 NAT/"Router" boxes
>from Linksys or D-Link or someone, and plugged into that instead of
>using a crossover?  Seems like that would make the destination non-local.

Still won't work, because the two interfaces used on the PC are
both known by the kernel.  You simply cannot address a packet
*to* a local IP address and have it routed anywhere except the
loopback device.

Which isn't really that much of a problem... There are at least
two ways to emulate a network.

(But first, note that in many areas it might be easy to find an
old PC (anything from an 80386 up to a Pentium I will be
considered virtually useless for anything else).  That would
provide a hardware based system to experiment with.)

Absent a hardware solution, the /lo/ device and the /dummy/
device can both be used.  With the dummy device several virtual
interfaces can be configured, just as if they were connected to
a physical network.  An example:

In /etc/hosts have the following,

  192.168.3.1 host0.dummy.com host0
  192.168.3.2 host1.dummy.com host1
  192.168.3.3 host2.dummy.com host2
  192.168.3.4 host3.dummy.com host3

And then configure each as a different interface,

 /sbin/ifconfig dummy0 host0 broadcast  192.168.3.255
 /sbin/ifconfig dummy0 host1 broadcast  192.168.3.255
 /sbin/ifconfig dummy0 host2 broadcast  192.168.3.255
 /sbin/ifconfig dummy0 host3 broadcast  192.168.3.255

With the lo device, note that it is configured with a network mask
of 255.0.0.0, which means that *any* IP address in the 127.x.x.x
range will be a loopback.  The /etc/host file can assign names
to to 127.0.0.5, 127.0.1.5, and so one.  Hence the /etc/hosts
file could have,

  127.1.2.1 host0.dummy.com host0
  127.1.2.2 host1.dummy.com host1
  127.1.2.3 host2.dummy.com host2
  127.1.2.4 host3.dummy.com host3

With all of the above, there are essentially two subnets, each
with 4 hosts.

--
FloydL. Davidson           <http://web.newsguy.com/floyd_davidson>
Ukpeagvik (Barrow, Alaska)                         floyd@barrow.com
<odyniec-usenet@odyniec.net> wrote:

>Chen Bin <binch@mobilesoft.com.cn> writes:
>
>> I am using debian 3.0 as my linux PC and I want to study the linux
>> network administartion. When I only have one pc, is it possible for
>> me to study it on this only one PC?
>>
>> Is any emulation that can be done to construct a virtual network
>> within my PC?
>
>If you want a virtual network, you might want to check out User-Mode
>Linux. It lets you run several instances of linux kernel on one
>system, each with its own network interfaces and the ability to talk
>to each other.
>
>  http://user-mode-linux.sourceforge.net/
>
>Regards,

You should check out the Adios Project home page
(http://dc.qut.edu.au/adios/), they have a Live-CD distribution that
is geared towards User-Mode Linux as well as offers quite a bit of
information about how they utilize it.

---
Jason DeTiberus
0
detiber (1)
11/4/2004 4:19:27 AM
Chen Bin wrote:

> HI,
>
> I am using debian 3.0 as my linux PC and I want to study the linux
> network administartion. When I only have one pc, is it possible for me
> to study it on this only one PC?
>
> Is any emulation that can be done to construct a virtual network within
> my PC?
>
> Any help appreciated!
>
> Chen
Hello Chen,

well UML is certainly an possible option for you. But taking a look in the
Internet, I see plenty of people selling their PII for 30$. Maybe you will
find somebody who will give away an old 486 for a couple of bucks, or maybe
for free. This will definetly make the learning experience faster and
somewhat closer to reality.

With kind regards, Alex
0
infodude (95)
11/4/2004 1:22:04 PM
Floyd L. Davidson wrote:
> Duke Robillard <duke@NOSPAMio.com> wrote:
>>Ian Northeast wrote:

>>>Over which no traffic will flow at all, as the kernel is
>>>intelligent
>>>enough to recognise local traffic and not send it all the way down the
>>>stack to the hardware layer.
>>
>>Well, that sucks.  :-)
>
> Actually that is a *very* good thing.

Yeah, but it sucks in this situation.  :-)

>>Hmmm...maybe if you added one of those little $50 NAT/"Router" boxes
>>from Linksys or D-Link or someone, and plugged into that instead of
>>using a crossover?  Seems like that would make the destination non-local.
>
> Still won't work, because the two interfaces used on the PC are
> both known by the kernel.  You simply cannot address a packet
> *to* a local IP address and have it routed anywhere except the
> loopback device.

No, I meant to use the NAT box to change the destination address...

Like you make eth0  192.168.1.100
               eth1  192.168.1.101

then you configure the NAT box to send, say, 10.130.1.1 to
192.168.1.101.  Linux doesn't know about this.

Then connect to 10.130.1.1, going out eth0.  The NAT box
will reroute it back to eth1, right?

> Absent a hardware solution, the /lo/ device and the /dummy/
> device can both be used.  With the dummy device several virtual
> interfaces can be configured, just as if they were connected to
> a physical network.  An example:

This is very cool, thanks....

Duke

0
duke11 (340)
11/9/2004 8:50:37 PM
Duke Robillard wrote:

> No, I meant to use the NAT box to change the destination address...
>
> Like you make eth0��192.168.1.100
> eth1��192.168.1.101
>
> then you configure the NAT box to send, say, 10.130.1.1 to
> 192.168.1.101.��Linux�doesn't�know�about�this.
>
> Then connect to 10.130.1.1, going out eth0.��The�NAT�box
> will reroute it back to eth1, right?

I thought I'd try something similar a while ago, and it didn't work.  Linux
was smart enough to know both addresses were in the same box and handled it
internally.

0
james.knott (739)

Any Documentaion about How Linux Networking IP stack looklike between Linux PC (single NIC card) and Router with multiple Network interfaces (LAN and WAN)?
Any Documenttaion about How Linux IP Networking stack looklike bwteen Linux PC (single NIC card) and Router with multiple Network interfaces running on Linux (LAN and WAN)?. appreciated for links or some documentation. Thanks. ...

Free Download Ebook for linux networking guide | http://freepdf-ebook.blogspot.com/2007/12/linux-network-admin-guide.html
i have linux networking guide, their format is pdf, you can download it for free http://freepdf-ebook.blogspot.com/2007/12/linux-network-admin-guide.html Tony Andreas wrote: > i have linux networking guide, their format is pdf, you can download > it for free > http://freepdf-ebook.blogspot.com/2007/12/linux-network-admin-guide.html i have problems resolving the domain name of this link: http://www.mybook.000webhost.info/Linux%20Network%20Admin%20Guide.pdf goarilla <"kevin DOT paulus AT skynet DOT be"> wrote: > Tony Andreas wrote: >> i have linux networking guide, their format is pdf, you can download >> it for free >> http://freepdf-ebook.blogspot.com/2007/12/linux-network-admin-guide.html > > i have problems resolving the domain name of this link: > http://www.mybook.000webhost.info/Linux%20Network%20Admin%20Guide.pdf What link is that? i.e. which one on the Home Page? There are over 30 of them. mybook.000webhost.info resolves to 64.235.54.104 The link you gave opens KPDF for me - I didn't look at its contents. Doug. Doug Laidlaw wrote: > goarilla <"kevin DOT paulus AT skynet DOT be"> wrote: > >> Tony Andreas wrote: >>> i have linux networking guide, their format is pdf, you can download >>> it for free >>> http://freepdf-ebook.blogspot.com/2007/12/linux-network-admin-guide.html >> i have problems resolving the domain name of this link: >>...

Proper routes for linux machine with two network ports to same network
Hi, I run a Fedora Core 4 system with two network devices eth0 (assigned 10.10.10.30) and eth1 (assigned 10.10.10.31). The local network is 10.10.10.0, the gateway is 10.10.10.1 # route Kernel IP routing table Destination Gateway Genmask Flags Metric Ref Use Iface 10.10.10.1 * 255.255.255.255 UH 0 0 0 eth1 10.10.10.0 * 255.255.255.0 U 0 0 0 eth0 10.10.10.0 * 255.255.255.0 U 0 0 0 eth1 169.254.0.0 * 255.255.0.0 U 0 0 0 eth1 default 10.10.10.1 0.0.0.0 UG 0 0 0 eth1 default 10.10.10.1 0.0.0.0 UG 0 0 0 eth0 Although rules to 10.10.10.0 exists for both eth interfaces, It seems that traffic going to the local network at 10.10.10.* goes thru eth0 if no interface specified. If I pull out the network cable at eth0, ping 10.10.10.100 -> Destination Host Unreachable ping 10.10.10.100 -I eth0 -> Destination Host Unreachable ping 10.10.10.100 -I eth1 -> Works fine! Similar problems exist for the internet outgoing connections with the default and 10.10.10.1 gateway routes. How do I add the routes properly so that the machine will look at which interface is working or sort of, and choose the correct route? Thanks for any pointers. fuzzybr80@gmail.com wrote: > Hi, > > I run a Fedora Core 4 system with two network devices eth0 (assi...

network within a network
I am a college student living in a duplex. Our whole duplex has one internet connection. I have a laptop with a wireless card and a ethernet card. I use the wireless card to access the internet. I also have a desktop with only a ethernet card that i am trying to connect to my laptop. Im trying to make my own network to share the internet connection with my desktop. My problem arises when i try to make my laptop the host to my network, i think it tries to take the 192.168.0.1 ip address which is already taken by the router ( in other apartment). so i get ip address conflictions. A...

LINUX networking
hi guys, I am very new to LINUX. I have multiple win 2000 machine at my work networking with each other, now I installed Redhat9 linux in one of my machine in the network and make it work with my network domain and what not. I can see internet from my linux, My ping, ifconfig everything works fine, but I dont know how to access other computers from mine. Can someone help me out here? And i know this qn does not belong to this group, but can someone help me to install USB stuf in my linuc, I want my linux to see my usb harddrive and memory sticks? thanks a lot for your time. Try opening a file browser window and, in the location, type "smb://my_host" or something similar. For your USB stuff, plug it in and if it doesn't automagically mount try right-clicking on the desktop and see if it shows up in the "disks" subdirectory. Ramesh wrote: > hi guys, > > I am very new to LINUX. I have multiple win 2000 machine at my work > networking with each other, now I installed Redhat9 linux in one of my > machine in the network and make it work with my network domain and what > not. I can see internet from my linux, My ping, ifconfig everything > works fine, but I dont know how to access other computers from mine. > Can someone help me out here? > > And i know this qn does not belong to this group, but can someone help > me to install USB stuf in my linuc, I want my linux to see my usb > harddrive and memory sticks? > ...

Networking Under Linux
Hi, i am new to Linux, but have been running windows machines for years now. I have two boxes running dual boot systems, Windows XP/Suse Linux 9.1 Both boxes are connected via ethernet to a Zyxel 643 router complete with ADSL modem. Both can see the ,net and have no trouble browsing,emailing etc. I have setup Samba so the windows shares are available, but how do I go about setting up NFS/NIS to share part of my system to the other machine i.e. file sharing. I want to use this directory as a network archive. Regards Bob Moore On Wed, 19 May 2004 22:31:21 +0100, bobmoore wrote: > Hi, i am new to Linux, but have been running windows machines for years > now. I have two boxes running dual boot systems, Windows XP/Suse Linux 9.1 > Both boxes are connected via ethernet to a Zyxel 643 router complete with > ADSL modem. > > Both can see the ,net and have no trouble browsing,emailing etc. > I have setup Samba so the windows shares are available, but how do I go > about setting up NFS/NIS to share part of my system to the other machine > i.e. file sharing. I want to use this directory as a network archive. > The following is probably a good place to start for nfs... http://nfs.sourceforge.net/nfs-howto/ For NIS, try : http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/NIS-HOWTO/ or http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/network-nis.html The second link is geared towards FreeBSD, but is still general enough that it's been a great help for me. --...

Linux Network
Hi, I just upgraded my motherboard. It was a bitch finding information that would get me past the kernel panics. Anyhow, that is solved. Problem now is that I cannot access the internet and cannot ping that machine, even on my internal network. Why? It is assigned eth0. I commented it out in modprobe.conf (not sure why, thought that may be an issue.) When the system boots, it detects eth0 fine as it displays and OK...... Any ideas? I'm a bit stuck right now....... Thanks! On Sat, 22 Nov 2008 11:53:29 -0800 (PST), art@unsu.com wrote: > > Hi, Hello You might want to read ...

Networking Questions I have for multiple OS Networking
I have some questions that I am hoping someone can help me with. I have plans to network 7 PC's together with different OS as follows. Windows XP Prof Windows XP Home Windows 2000 Windows Me Windows 98 SE Windows 95B Linux Red Hat 8.0 My 7 computers have their OS installed as well as 10/100mbps NICs, which will all connect to my 10/100 Switch. (1.) Does anyone know of any incompatibilities I will have or problems that I can avoid when setting up this network of multiple operating systems? (2.) Is there any patches I will need for specific OS to network with the...

Routing Linux 192.168.10.x network to Dlink router on 192.168.1.x network
8/5/2006, 1:23AM Hi, Thanks for taking the time to shine some light! I have a Linux Redhat 7.2 box on a 192.168.10.x network and I have clients that need to connect also connected to the same Dlink router which is at 192.168.1.1 All my boxes are physically plugged into the D-link router so they are all on the same physical network. I heard that if all machines are on the same router, then all one has to do is add the odd man out network to the routing page, which I did: Enable : Yes Destination IP 192.168.10.100 Netmask : 255.255.255.0 Gateway : 192.168.1.1 Interface :LAN Metric : 1 My router is on 192.168.1.1 Linux box is on 192.168.10.100 clients on 192.168.1.100 I don't want to be sloppy and change the subnet mask to 255.255.0.0 Shouldn't this work? But my Linux box at 192.168.10.100 can't ping my D-link router at 192.168.1.1 I could probably do a "route add" command on the Linux box to be able to ping the D-link, but shouldn't the router, since it's on the same physical network, see the ping from anything on it's network? Yes...it should drop it from a different subnet...I know....but since I added the route in the D-link routing table, shouldn't it not only see it but route it and/or respond to it? I can ping the D-link 192.168.1.1 from my boxes on the 192.168.1.x network. I don't want to have to add "route print" statements on all my boxes. I thought this is what routers were for...connecting different s...

[News] [Linux] Linux the Platform of Choice for Network Processor
Dual-core network processors sample with Linux ,----[ Quote ] | The OpenWRT BSP includes the open U-Boot bootloader, a Linux | 2.6-series kernel, filesystem, drivers, web-based configuration system, | make files, and a VoIP-enabled PBX application. `---- http://www.linuxdevices.com/news/NS3501901164.html Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@schestowitz.com> espoused: > Dual-core network processors sample with Linux > > ,----[ Quote ] >| The OpenWRT BSP includes the open U-Boot bootloader, a Linux >| 2.6-series kernel, filesystem, drivers, web-based configuration system, >...

linux neewbie : Configuring linux client in a windows network
Hi , I have a windows 2000 server running as the domain controller. I want to add a LINUX (RED HAT 9.0) computer as a client in this network. What software do i need to do this ? Thanks in advance. BNS MIke typed: > I have a windows 2000 server running as the domain controller. I want > to add a LINUX (RED HAT 9.0) computer as a client in this network. > What software do i need to do this ? > you'll have everything you need to accomplish this. samba is what will work: http://us1.samba.org/samba/samba.html 'man smbclient' 'man smbmount' or try this HOWTO: http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/SMB-HOWTO.html -- - Linux: the choice of a GNU generation - free; as in free speech and free beer remove '.eh' to email ...

Re: Nortel Networks, Alcatel, Cisco, Juniper Networks, Enterasys / Cabletron, Extreme Networks, Foundry Networks, 3Com, Lucent, Marconi / Fore, Riverstone Networks, and others.
"Netbuy" <netbuy@bellsouth.net> wrote in message news:... > WTB: Nortel Networks, Alcatel, Cisco, Juniper Networks, Enterasys / > Cabletron, Extreme Networks, Foundry Networks, 3Com, Lucent, Marconi / Fore, > Riverstone Networks, and others. > > We buy the above networking hardware. > > Email netbuy@bellsouth.net with what you have. We may have interest in > buying it. > > SAY YOU SAW IT IN THE NEWSGROUP! > > ...

WTB: Nortel Networks, Alcatel, Cisco, Juniper Networks, Enterasys / Cabletron, Extreme Networks, Foundry Networks, 3Com, Lucent, Marconi / Fore, Riverstone Networks, and others.
WTB: Nortel Networks, Alcatel, Cisco, Juniper Networks, Enterasys / Cabletron, Extreme Networks, Foundry Networks, 3Com, Lucent, Marconi / Fore, Riverstone Networks, and others. We buy the above networking hardware. Email netbuy@bellsouth.net with what you have. We may have interest in buying it. SAY YOU SAW IT IN THE NEWSGROUP! ...

Centos XP windows network DHCP DNS Zonealarm Conflicts -> can talk linux to windows network OR www not both
Centos 5.1 Windows XPSP2 Zonealarm Firewall Standard Windows workgroup. Router with DHCP server. Set centos for DHCP Zonealarm off System works. Turn on Zonealarm on XP, Centos is blocked from contacting XP. Put Centos IP address into Zonealarm trusted zone. Everything works...until reboot when Centos gets a new IP. Don't know how to give Centos a traditional windows workgroup hostname that I can put into Zonealarm...no problem, just use fixed IP address. Bug in Centos 5.1: Fixed IP address fails to setup DNS. So, now I can't connect to the web. Is there a workaround to make all this work without breaking anything else on my windows workgroup? centos -> browse windows network centos -> surf www Windows Zonealarm Firewall enabled. ?? thanks,mike -- Return address is VALID! Bunch-O-Stuff Forsale Here: http://mike.liveline.de/sale.html On Thu, 05 Jun 2008 05:00:37 +0000, mike rearranged some electrons to say: > > Bug in Centos 5.1: Fixed IP address fails to setup DNS. So, now I can't > connect to the web. Uh, that's not a bug. If you're using a fixed IP address insread of DHCP, you have to tell it everything it would normally get from the DHCP server, including the IP address of your favorite DNS server (which your router gets from your ISP). PS: If you're still trying to run Linux inside a Virtual PC under Windoze (as I believe you were claiming to do in another newsgroup, against the advice of several people) then y...

[News] [Linux] Company Offers Specialised Linux Networking Stack
Linux networking stack scales to 64 virtual MIPS64 cores ,----[ Quote ] | 6WindGate says its commercial Linux networking stack supports | a Continuous Computing (CCPU) ATCA board powered by 16 | MIPS64-compatible cores. `---- http://www.linuxdevices.com/news/NS2103965321.html Related: Development Kit Simplifies Design of Linux Based Device Networking Products ,----[ Quote ] | Oxford Semiconductor has introduced a software development kit for | its OXETHU954 network connectivity controller chip aiming to | dramatically simplify the design of Linux based device | networking products. `----...

[News] Social Networking Site Proud of Linux; Linux Stereotypes Discussed
Social networking gets a Ringside seat ,----[ Quote ] | Bickel says he chose an open source business model and built Ringside with a | LAMP stack and all open source tools as a way to "give back" to a community | he has grown to love while involved in business strategy and implementation | at JBoss and Bluestone Software. `---- http://www.linux.com/feature/132248 Is Linux Really Outgrowing Its Stereotypes? Does It Matter? ,----[ Quote ] | Having said that, the question I here far more often from non-technical | people is “What’s Linux?” Outside technical circles a lot of ...

Woo-hoo! Linux sees my network! Now how do I see Linux from XP?
Hello, I just put a nic card in my Linux Laptop, booted up and into Linux and it saw my network and cable internet connection without any problem! Now the question that I have is how can I check to see if Windows XP/ME/98Se can see my Linux Laptop? I don't know what my machine's name is, or how to map to it. It doesn't show up when I browse the network with XP. (haven't tried the others) Does anyone know what to do from here? I can ping the Linux Laptop... (Red-Hat 9.0) Thanks Dave On 2005-02-22, XxLicherxX <goldhors64@aol.com> wrote: > > Now the question that I have is how can I check to see if Windows > XP/ME/98Se can see my Linux Laptop? Define "see". > It doesn't show up when I browse the network with XP. That's a Samba thing. Install and configure Samba if that's what you want, but I'd define "see" first. What exactly do you want to do? If you want to simply copy files, you can use an scp client, for example. If you want to do something else, you'll need to tell us. --keith -- kkeller-usenet@wombat.san-francisco.ca.us (try just my userid to email me) AOLSFAQ=http://wombat.san-francisco.ca.us/cgi-bin/fom see X- headers for PGP signature information On Tue, 22 Feb 2005 15:09:51 -0800, XxLicherxX wrote: > Hello, > > I just put a nic card in my Linux Laptop, booted up and into Linux and > it saw my network and cable internet connection without any problem! > > No...

[News] Review of Linux-powered Home Media Network, Other Linux Devices

Another great example of the Linux community in action: NOT! (Was: Linux networking is a ball of confusion)
It's a pretty sad testament to the Linux community to see all the hate and venum vented on that poor poster. Are Linux users so insecure with their own selves that they can't understand that not everyone is an expert and that people sometimes get frustrated? It really makes me ashamed to say I am a Linux user because personally I have no desire to be included with the likes of people like those who attacked that poster. Much of what he says is true and is evidenced by the number of Samba questions asked in this group over and over again. Something is surely wrong if the same topic comes up all the time. Did anyone bother to ask if he was running a stock install where Samba was broken? If he hasn't updated it may never work for him and it may not be his fault. Personally I would tell him to stay with Suse 9.0 because 9.1 is far to buggy Well that's my say on it, flame away but I could care less as I prefer to help people instead of attacking them. Kevin Pederson On Thu, 30 Sep 2004 21:48:00 -0400, Kevin Pederson wrote: > updated it may never work for him and it may not be his fault. Personally > I would tell him to stay with Suse 9.0 because 9.1 is far to buggy Well > that's my say on it, flame away but I could care less as I prefer to help > people instead of attacking them. Then why did you not help that whining luser? In alt.os.linux, Kevin Pederson uttered these immortal words: > It's a pretty sad testament to the Linux commun...

[News] Cavium Networks Firewall Comes with Linux, Several Other Devices Run Linux
Multi-core firewall boasts multi-gigabit throughput ,----[ Quote ] | Cavium Networks provides a software development kit (SDK) along with the | CN3120 that includes a MontaVista Linux kernel, GNU tool-chain, GDB debugger, | and third-party products aimed at streamlining ports of MIPS32, MIPS64, and | other C/C++ applications to the Octeon architecture. `---- http://www.linuxdevices.com/news/NS3495431878.html More of Linux here (it's everywhere): Linux-compatible PDA shrugs off six-foot drops ,----[ Quote ] | iWave Systems of Bangalore has announced a Linux- and Windows CE | 6.0...

[News] Linux Has Transformed Network Infrastructures, Finds Study
ATCA Adoption Remains Strong Despite New Challenges ,----[ Quote ] | Linux is changing the software makeup of network infrastructures through new | devices at the control layer and network layer `---- http://www.linuxelectrons.com/news/embedded/11695/atca-adoption-remains-strong-despite-new-challenges More good news: Embedded Linux vendor attains support certification ,----[ Quote ] | The company claims to be the only embedded Linux provider certified under the | Service Strategies "Support Center Practices" (SCP) program. `---- http://www.linuxdevices.com/news/NS3642109158...

[Linux] Linux Network Stack Gets OpenBSD Cryptographic Framework, Multi-core MIPS64
,----[ Quote ] | 6Wind has updated its embedded Linux networking stack for multi-service | IP gateways of all sizes. 6WindGate v.2.8 features support for | multi-core MIPS64 processors, support for standard-compliant IPsec | crytography hardware, and an XML-based management API said to | support integration with UTM (unified threat management) software. `---- http://www.linuxdevices.com/news/NS3560551762.html ...

[News] [Linux] Red Hat CEO Calls to Focus on Networks, Linux Security Defended
Red Hat Summit (inspirational) keynote: You are here ,----[ Quote ] | Szulik told the audience that the discussion in the | Linux and open source communities needed to undergo a | shift in this age of social unrest from kernel-exclusive | fare into the migration of data. "Start thinking about | creating access to public networks," he said. `---- http://enterpriselinuxlog.blogs.techtarget.com/2007/05/09/red-hat-summit-inspirational-keynote-you-are-here/ http://tinyurl.com/2pd4np Talking security with Red Hat's Mark Cox ,----[ Quote ] | "Aside from Web browser flaws there ...

[News] Ubuntu Linux Users Want Canonical-independent Network
Ubuntu-Users Social Network BETA ,----[ Quote ] | Social Networks don’t need to be limited to corporate entities only | interested in selling out to Google 12 months down the road, lets bring this | idea into the world of reality and make the Ubuntu community even stronger | than it already is. `---- http://blog.paladine.org.uk/?p=38 ...

Web resources about - I want to study linux network but I have not a network - comp.os.linux.networking

Network Computing
Through a For IT, By IT editorial filter, Network Computing connects the dots between architectural approach and how technology impacts the business, ...

Cartoon Network (Russia and Southeastern Europe) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Cartoon Network Russia and Southeastern Europe is a Russian/Bulgarian channel, which started on October 1, 2009. It replaced the Pan-European ...

Cisco targets in-building network convergence
Computerworld Australia Cisco targets in-building network convergence Computerworld Australia Cisco ANZ's recently appointed IoT Solutions ...

'Miracle kid' impaled on stick in quad bike crash saved by mobile phone network quirk
Young surfer Solomon Lee was impaled on a stick on a lonely beach. He narrowly cheated death thanks to random access to mobile phone reception. ...

'Miracle kid' impaled on stick in quad bike crash saved by mobile phone network quirk
Young surfer Solomon Lee was impaled on a stick on a lonely beach. He narrowly cheated death thanks to random access to mobile phone reception. ...

Victoria declared brunch capital of Canada by Food Network
The competition is toast, and they have egg on their face, because the Food Network has declared Victoria to be the brunch capital of Canada. ...

Ashley Graham Ad Was Banned From TV Networks. She Showed Them What They're Missing. 15
Check out the ad NBC and ABC didn't want you to see. One of Ashley Graham's latest ads was declared too hot for television by at least two networks. ...

SoftBank - Anime News Network Anime News Network
Columns (incl. Anime News Nina! , ANNtv , ANNCast , Answerman , Astro Toy , Brain Diving , Buried Treasure , Chicks On Anime , Crashing Japan ...

Dam you! Justice Dept. to indict Iranians for probing flood control network
... by a broadband cellular modem used to connect the small facility to the Internet, and the Bowman Avenue facility was targeted by a network scan ...

With cord cutting on the rise, TV networks have no choice but to be more like Netflix
If you can't beat them, join them. That appears to be the mentality of many U.S. TV networks as more and more cable subscribers choose to cut ...