Linux LiveDVD and dial-up problem

I think something is wrong with my router or linux if I try to connect
with liveDVD.
Router works for desktop installation.

LiveDVD with openSUSE, Ubuntu, Mint and Fedora also don't work.

Anybody know what can be problem here?

I don't know how to search internet for this problem?

With LiveDVD, I can access internet http sites, but not https.
But, even http sites work very slow.

a wrote:
> I think something is wrong with my router or linux if I try to connect
> with liveDVD.
> Router works for desktop installation.
>
> LiveDVD with openSUSE, Ubuntu, Mint and Fedora also don't work.
>
> Anybody know what can be problem here?
>
> I don't know how to search internet for this problem?
>
> With LiveDVD, I can access internet http sites, but not https.
> But, even http sites work very slow.

If all those different distros all don't work then your router would be
where I would first look. Do you have 443 blocked? Can you bypass router
and connect to WAN device, e.g., DSL or cable modem directly?

--
Take care,

Jonathan
-------------------
LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com
0
Jonathan
12/7/2016 9:47:08 PM
On 12/07/2016 10:47 PM, Jonathan N. Little wrote:
> a wrote:
>> I think something is wrong with my router or linux if I try to connect
>> with liveDVD.
>> Router works for desktop installation.
>>
>> LiveDVD with openSUSE, Ubuntu, Mint and Fedora also don't work.
>>
>> Anybody know what can be problem here?
>>
>> I don't know how to search internet for this problem?
>>
>> With LiveDVD, I can access internet http sites, but not https.
>> But, even http sites work very slow.
>
> If all those different distros all don't work then your router would be
> where I would first look. Do you have 443 blocked? Can you bypass router
> and connect to WAN device, e.g., DSL or cable modem directly?

How can I try all that?
I don't know where to look?

BTW, maybe I change something in BIOS (I change BIOS boot order, and
maybe something else)?
a wrote:
> On 12/07/2016 10:47 PM, Jonathan N. Little wrote:
>> a wrote:
>>> I think something is wrong with my router or linux if I try to connect
>>> with liveDVD.
>>> Router works for desktop installation.
>>>
>>> LiveDVD with openSUSE, Ubuntu, Mint and Fedora also don't work.
>>>
>>> Anybody know what can be problem here?
>>>
>>> I don't know how to search internet for this problem?
>>>
>>> With LiveDVD, I can access internet http sites, but not https.
>>> But, even http sites work very slow.
>>
>> If all those different distros all don't work then your router would be
>> where I would first look. Do you have 443 blocked? Can you bypass router
>> and connect to WAN device, e.g., DSL or cable modem directly?
>>

> How can I try all that?
> I don't know where to look?

Depends on what type of Internet access you have...for many
cable|dsl|satellite services you have a some type a modem with a WAN
side (for cable & satellite it is coax and for DSL it is telephone wire)
and on LAN side it is a Ethernet port.

WWW }----WAN SIDE---[modem]-------[router /w switch]---[computers]
                           ^

Unplug router from "internet" Ethernet port and plug your computer's
cable directly into that port. Reboot modem. Test and see if it now works...

> BTW, maybe I change something in BIOS (I change BIOS boot order, and
> maybe something else)?

That would not prevent you from connecting via HTTPS.

--
Take care,

Jonathan
-------------------
LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com
0
Jonathan
12/8/2016 5:19:07 AM
On 12/08/2016 06:19 AM, Jonathan N. Little wrote:
> a wrote:

>>> If all those different distros all don't work then your router would be
>>> where I would first look. Do you have 443 blocked? Can you bypass router
>>> and connect to WAN device, e.g., DSL or cable modem directly?
>>>

>> How can I try all that?
>> I don't know where to look?
>
> Depends on what type of Internet access you have...for many
> cable|dsl|satellite services you have a some type a modem with a WAN
> side (for cable & satellite it is coax and for DSL it is telephone wire)
> and on LAN side it is a Ethernet port.
>
> WWW }----WAN SIDE---[modem]-------[router /w switch]---[computers]
>                            ^
> Unplug router from "internet" Ethernet port and plug your computer's
> cable directly into that port. Reboot modem. Test and see if it now works...
>

>> BTW, maybe I change something in BIOS (I change BIOS boot order, and
>> maybe something else)?
>
> That would not prevent you from connecting via HTTPS.

Try this.
Use openSUSE:Tumbleweed KDE LiveDVD.
I have Dec 5.

Start in VirtualBox with bridged adapter.
This is same as it happen in my real DVD.
My home router is in brigde mode, dial-up.
One PC with wire to router.

Start this in VB and try Firefox.
Don't work for me.
On 8.12.16 14:38, a wrote:
> On 12/08/2016 06:19 AM, Jonathan N. Little wrote:
>> a wrote:

>>> How can I try all that?
>>> I don't know where to look?
>>
>> Depends on what type of Internet access you have...for many
>> cable|dsl|satellite services you have a some type a modem with a WAN
>> side (for cable & satellite it is coax and for DSL it is telephone wire)
>> and on LAN side it is a Ethernet port.
>>
>> WWW }----WAN SIDE---[modem]-------[router /w switch]---[computers]
>>                            ^
>> Unplug router from "internet" Ethernet port and plug your computer's
>> cable directly into that port. Reboot modem. Test and see if it now
>> works...
>>

>>> BTW, maybe I change something in BIOS (I change BIOS boot order, and
>>> maybe something else)?
>>
>> That would not prevent you from connecting via HTTPS.
>>

> Try this.
> Use openSUSE:Tumbleweed KDE LiveDVD.
> I have Dec 5.
>
> Start in VirtualBox with bridged adapter.
> This is same as it happen in my real DVD.
> My home router is in brigde mode, dial-up.
> One PC with wire to router.
>
> Start this in VB and try Firefox.
> Don't work for me.

Your router's client capacity may be filled up with the host operating
system. It sees the virtual client as another machine, and depending on
the router and ISP policies, refuses to handle another machine.

You might be better off by setting up a local network and set the router
in routing mode.

--

-TV

0
Tauno
12/8/2016 2:48:17 PM
On 12/08/2016 03:48 PM, Tauno Voipio wrote:

>> Try this.
>> Use openSUSE:Tumbleweed KDE LiveDVD.
>> I have Dec 5.
>>
>> Start in VirtualBox with bridged adapter.
>> This is same as it happen in my real DVD.
>> My home router is in brigde mode, dial-up.
>> One PC with wire to router.
>>
>> Start this in VB and try Firefox.
>> Don't work for me.
>

> Your router's client capacity may be filled up with the host operating
> system. It sees the virtual client as another machine, and depending on
> the router and ISP policies, refuses to handle another machine.

How can I see that "client list"?

I have THOMSON TG782, and in router "Local Network Devices" can see only
my computer.

On 9.12.16 04:13, a wrote:
> On 12/08/2016 03:48 PM, Tauno Voipio wrote:
>>>
>>> Try this.
>>> Use openSUSE:Tumbleweed KDE LiveDVD.
>>> I have Dec 5.
>>>
>>> Start in VirtualBox with bridged adapter.
>>> This is same as it happen in my real DVD.
>>> My home router is in brigde mode, dial-up.
>>> One PC with wire to router.
>>>
>>> Start this in VB and try Firefox.
>>> Don't work for me.
>>

>> Your router's client capacity may be filled up with the host operating
>> system. It sees the virtual client as another machine, and depending on
>> the router and ISP policies, refuses to handle another machine.
>>

> How can I see that "client list"?
>
> I have THOMSON TG782, and in router "Local Network Devices" can see only
> my computer.

If you're using a dial-up line, very probably the service provider
(the company you're connecting to with the dial-up) has been prepared
to run just a single IP address behind that line.

To avoid this restriction, you have to build a local network and
set the router as the gateway to the outside with it. To handle
the local network addresses, the router has to make network address
translation (NAT) for your internal network addresses.

--

-TV

0
Tauno
12/9/2016 8:51:02 AM
On 12/09/2016 09:51 AM, Tauno Voipio wrote:

> If you're using a dial-up line, very probably the service provider
> (the company you're connecting to with the dial-up) has been prepared
> to run just a single IP address behind that line.
>
> To avoid this restriction, you have to build a local network and
> set the router as the gateway to the outside with it. To handle
> the local network addresses, the router has to make network address
> translation (NAT) for your internal network addresses.

I have one PC and just try to run liveDVD with Linux disktros.
Just that. This worked few months ago, and now don't.

Maybe I change something in BIOS, after setting up boot-up process to
USB-DVD-HDD, before DVD-HDD.
On 9.12.16 12:58, a wrote:
> On 12/09/2016 09:51 AM, Tauno Voipio wrote:
>>
>> If you're using a dial-up line, very probably the service provider
>> (the company you're connecting to with the dial-up) has been prepared
>> to run just a single IP address behind that line.
>>
>> To avoid this restriction, you have to build a local network and
>> set the router as the gateway to the outside with it. To handle
>> the local network addresses, the router has to make network address
>> translation (NAT) for your internal network addresses.
>>

> I have one PC and just try to run liveDVD with Linux disktros.
> Just that. This worked few months ago, and now don't.
>
> Maybe I change something in BIOS, after setting up boot-up process to
> USB-DVD-HDD, before DVD-HDD.

To set the things right: Where does the virtual machine fit into
the pattern?

--

-TV

0
Tauno
12/9/2016 12:18:32 PM
a wrote:
> Maybe I change something in BIOS, after setting up boot-up process to
> USB-DVD-HDD, before DVD-HDD.

Red herring. Your problem has nothing to do with BIOS change. More
likely your VM setup...

--
Take care,

Jonathan