Mail setup for Linux

all,

I am setting a system up in a Lab for our company to decide on a Mail
server....here are the specs.

We have 60 users and that's not likely to grow.

We have a domain and static IP address

the MX record points to mail.mydomain.org with the registrar for DNS

We need to for our users to use Outlook Express or 3rd party clients on the
road or at home

Which RPM package would be best to try and configure?....do any come with
GUI tools to configure ?

many thanks for any input.

--

Rich........

               <><><><><><><>   The Worlds Uncensored News Source   <><><><><><><><>

0
saved (10)

Rich wrote:

> all,
>
> I am setting a system up in a Lab for our company to decide on a Mail
> server....here are the specs.
>
> We have 60 users and that's not likely to grow.
>
> We have a domain and static IP address
>
> the MX record points to mail.mydomain.org with the registrar for DNS
>
> We need to for our users to use Outlook Express or 3rd party clients on
> the road or at home
>
> Which RPM package would be best to try and configure?....do any come with
> GUI tools to configure ?
>
> many thanks for any input.

I use -:

courier-imapd   (imap access)
posfix    (smtp server)
spamassassin    (spam filter)
squirrelmail   (web access)
evolution/outlook (client)

Regards
0
bee (8)
10/4/2004 3:58:11 PM
BeeBop wrote:

> Rich wrote:
>

>> all,
>>
>> I am setting a system up in a Lab for our company to decide on a Mail
>> server....here are the specs.
>>
>> We have 60 users and that's not likely to grow.
>>
>> We have a domain and static IP address
>>
>> the MX record points to mail.mydomain.org with the registrar for DNS
>>
>> We need to for our users to use Outlook Express or 3rd party clients on
>> the road or at home
>>
>> Which RPM package would be best to try and configure?....do any come with
>> GUI tools to configure ?
>>
>> many thanks for any input.
>>

> I use -:
>
> courier-imapd   (imap access)
> posfix    (smtp server)
> spamassassin    (spam filter)
> squirrelmail   (web access)
> evolution/outlook (client)
>
> Regards

webmin makes a nice configuration tool for postfix

I have Linux! I have Linux!

My Linux is not your Linux

Why linux is linux

Which Linux OS best for beginner to setup as Web / Mail server / Internet sharer and firewall?
We are a small business with no IT employees and have about 20 Windows ME machines. None of that is subject to change. We are installing a DSL line, and when we do, we want to improve the way our Internet is handled. I am planning to try to set up a server which the DSL will connect to, and will run our web site off the server, as well as automatically get our POP3 emails from our outside accounts, and hold them until our local computers want to see them. It should also share the internet connection and run a firewall. We are only considering no cost versions of Linux for this purpose, and we were planning on running either Fedora or White box enterprise Linux. Is there any other no cost Linux that you would suggest would be easier for an absolute beginner (no Linux experience at all) to set up this type of a server on? I know there are specialized mini versions of Linux that only act as sharers and firewalls, etc., but I believe that we will need the flexibility of a full linux to support future expansion as well as the 4 features I mentioned, HTTP Server, POP3, Firewall, and Internet sharing. Feel free to point out if you believe there is a better solution. Also, can Linux speak to most DSL modems, or at the least, can most DSL providers come up with something that will speak to a Linux system? Dave Arbok wrote: > We are a small business with no IT employees and have about 20 Windows > ME machines. None of that is subject to change. We are installing a >...

I installed 3 linux machines on the network using Router (Cable modem), how can I setup e-mail accounts?
I installed 3 linux machines on the network using Router (Cable modem), how can I setup e-mail accounts?. All 3 machines talk and all 3 can ping each other, also each one can be connected to the INternet. I want to create some users on Linux machines and I want to assign e-mails to those users, how can I do that?. I wanted to run my own www.xyz.com from one of my machine (if I register my own web site, Is that enough to run Internet web site as well as e-mail accounts), Please let me know what are the steps involved here to make my website running and e-mails running. Thanks in advance. > I installed 3 linux machines on the network using Router (Cable > modem), how can I setup e-mail accounts?. All 3 machines talk and all > 3 can ping each other, also each one can be connected to the INternet. > I want to create some users on Linux machines and I want to assign > e-mails to those users, how can I do that?. I wanted to run my own > www.xyz.com from one of my machine (if I register my own web site, Is > that enough to run Internet web site as well as e-mail accounts), > Please let me know what are the steps involved here to make my website > running and e-mails running. http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Mail-Administrator-HOWTO.html -- To reply by email, replace "deadspam.com" by "alumni.utexas.net" Has anyone had any success running NISTNet (http://snad.ncsl.nist.gov/itg/nistnet/) on a 2.6 kernel or should I acknowledge my mistake...

No Problem'o, DooFuS. I can blame it all on the Linux Mint TEXT size being = too small on my 19 inch monitor. As Moi was saying... I tried two more additional downloads of elementary OS Linux. Both of them= likewise failed. While they could have been discriminating against Moi for his ZERO contribu= tion, I will be damned if I am going to PAY GOOD money for something when t= here is no guarantee that the stupid DOWNLOAD wont fail, JUST TO FIND OUT t= hat it WONT work at all on my computer hardware, let alone whether OR NOT i= t will actually do what is being claimed. Moi has NEVER experienced a download problem with Linux Mint. From what I have seen, elementary OS Linux is a scam, much like those Windo= ws come ons that claim that they can fix your computer problems merely by m= ucking with the Windows Registry. The Linux World should disown elementary OS Linux for being the Scam that i= t is. Or, can any phony distro claim to be Linux? Yeah, where are the Linu= x police? On 7/8/2015 8:22 AM, John Gohde wrote: > No Problem'o, DooFuS. I can blame it all on the Linux Mint TEXT size > being too small on my 19 inch monitor. I blame it on your small cerebrum. > The Linux World should disown elementary OS Linux for being the Scam > that it is. Or, can any phony distro claim to be Linux? Yeah, where > are the Linux police? The Linux police are outside your door right now. I'm not kidding. Look out...

Any Documentaion about How Linux Networking IP stack looklike between Linux PC (single NIC card) and Router with multiple Network interfaces (LAN and WAN)?
Any Documenttaion about How Linux IP Networking stack looklike bwteen Linux PC (single NIC card) and Router with multiple Network interfaces running on Linux (LAN and WAN)?. appreciated for links or some documentation. Thanks. ...

[News] [Linux] The Linux Foundation Improves Linux Printing
Linux Foundation Improves Printing Functionality in Linux With LSB Driver Development Kit ,----[ Quote ] | "The LSB DDK is a direct result of our workgroup efforts and will | make it easier to create distribution-independent printer driver | packages," said Till Kamppeter, OpenPrinting.org manager, The | Linux Foundation. `---- http://new.marketwire.com/2.0/rel.jsp?id=741867&sourceType=1 Related: Real-time Linux simulates toner motion for printer design ,----[ Quote ] | Concurrent reports that its commercial, real-time Linux | implementation for multi-processor AMD Opter...

[News] [Linux] New Versions of Engarde Secure Linux, Core Linux, OpenTLE (Thai Linux)
EnGarde Secure Linux 3.0.14 Released ,----[ Quote ] | A fully functional secure Linux platform distribution, this release | features a vastly improved intrusion detection Attack Monitor. `---- http://www.linuxlookup.com/2007/may/04/engarde_secure_linux_3_0_14_released Core GNU/Linux 2.0 Released! ,----[ Quote ] | Core contains nothing beyond what is required to perform these tasks. | Core is primarily designed for experienced Linux users, though it has | found an audience with those looking to learn about the internals | and operation of a Linux system. `---- http://www.coredistro.org/news-20070501 http://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=linuxtle ...

linux network card setup
Hi everyone! i was running a redhat server for about a year, and decided to switch to try out Slackware but i'm having a major problem. I use the linux machine as a router, and it seems to me by default slackware only autodetects the first network card during install. I was wondering if anyone knows a way i can auto detect my second network card. I tried to type: ifconfig eth1 192.168.1.1 broadcast 192.168.1.255 netmask 255. 255.255.0 but i get the error: SIOCSIFADDR: No such device eth1: unknown interface: No such device SIOCSIFBRDADDR: No such device eth1: unknown interface: No such device SIOCSIFNETMASK: No such device i don't know what brand the network card is, and redhat 8 and 7 both autodetected it. I am running slackware 9(its newer then the redhats) so i assume there must be a way. Thanks for all your help, in advance. p.s. i looked into modprob but to use it you need to know what brand your network card is. so its possing to be a problem. Mark <tha_don_ak47@hotmail.com> ha scritto: > I tried to type: > ifconfig eth1 192.168.1.1 broadcast 192.168.1.255 netmask 255. > 255.255.0 > > > but i get the error: > SIOCSIFADDR: No such device > eth1: unknown interface: No such device > SIOCSIFBRDADDR: No such device > eth1: unknown interface: No such device > SIOCSIFNETMASK: No such device This is right, there is no driver module loaded right now. > i don...

[News] [Linux] Linux Has Advantage in the Mobile OS World
How Linux morphed from a server to a mobile OS ,----[ Quote ] | When evaluating Linux as a possible OS candidate, it is important to | remember that the Linux "model" for mobile devices is horizontal. That | is, Linux is not presented as a vertically integrated top to bottom | solution for a mobile device supplied by one vendor. | | It's a sharp contrast to the other OS suppliers such as Microsoft | with Windows Mobile, Symbian and PalmSource. These suppliers | support a highly integrated software stack, incorporating not | only an OS but also extensive middleware and application layer | pieces. Arguably the price for such integration is lack of | flexibility and loss of control. `---- http://www.wirelessnetdesignline.com/howto/broadband/199600344;jsessionid=N1IAB5VKZRD0QQSNDLRCKH0CJUNN2JVN http://tinyurl.com/2c3z7z Microsoft taps mobiles for developing world ,----[ Quote ] | Microsoft is facing fierce competition from Linux, however, most | notably the One Laptop per Child project to ship low cost | notebooks to schools in developing nations. | | Linux vendor Red Hat unveiled a Global Desktop last week | targeting computers at small and medium sized businesses as | well as governments in third world nations. `---- http://www.vnunet.com/vnunet/news/2189936/microsoft-taps-mobile-tech Related: 70 percent of smartphones use Symbian ,----[ Quote ] | At 3GSM it became clear that 70 percent of all smartphones use Symbian. | | Linux accounts for 16.9 perc...

Linux Could NOT Have Invented Linux
The current view in Western technology is that Linus Torvalds invented Linux. Nothing could be further from the truth. The technical complexity and useability of Linux make it beyond the capability of what man could produce using the tools available in 1992. My theory is that Ancient Astronauts descended from the sky on 'Chariots of the Gods' and showed Linus *how* to write an Operating System. These alien visitors must have appeared as strange to the young Torvalds, and so he may have mistaken them for carpet vendors. -- w:04 On Tue, 08 Jun 2004 14:28:27 GMT, Erich Von ...

Free Download Ebook for linux networking guide | http://freepdf-ebook.blogspot.com/2007/12/linux-network-admin-guide.html
i have linux networking guide, their format is pdf, you can download it for free http://freepdf-ebook.blogspot.com/2007/12/linux-network-admin-guide.html Tony Andreas wrote: > i have linux networking guide, their format is pdf, you can download > it for free > http://freepdf-ebook.blogspot.com/2007/12/linux-network-admin-guide.html i have problems resolving the domain name of this link: http://www.mybook.000webhost.info/Linux%20Network%20Admin%20Guide.pdf goarilla <"kevin DOT paulus AT skynet DOT be"> wrote: > Tony Andreas wrote: >> i have linux networking guide, their format is pdf, you can download >> it for free >> http://freepdf-ebook.blogspot.com/2007/12/linux-network-admin-guide.html > > i have problems resolving the domain name of this link: > http://www.mybook.000webhost.info/Linux%20Network%20Admin%20Guide.pdf What link is that? i.e. which one on the Home Page? There are over 30 of them. mybook.000webhost.info resolves to 64.235.54.104 The link you gave opens KPDF for me - I didn't look at its contents. Doug. Doug Laidlaw wrote: > goarilla <"kevin DOT paulus AT skynet DOT be"> wrote: > >> Tony Andreas wrote: >>> i have linux networking guide, their format is pdf, you can download >>> it for free >>> http://freepdf-ebook.blogspot.com/2007/12/linux-network-admin-guide.html >> i have problems resolving the domain name of this link: >>...

[News] [Linux] Linux the Platform of Choice for Network Processor
Dual-core network processors sample with Linux ,----[ Quote ] | The OpenWRT BSP includes the open U-Boot bootloader, a Linux | 2.6-series kernel, filesystem, drivers, web-based configuration system, | make files, and a VoIP-enabled PBX application. `---- http://www.linuxdevices.com/news/NS3501901164.html Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@schestowitz.com> espoused: > Dual-core network processors sample with Linux > > ,----[ Quote ] >| The OpenWRT BSP includes the open U-Boot bootloader, a Linux >| 2.6-series kernel, filesystem, drivers, web-based configuration system, >...

how to setup mail list on linux
Hi there, I wan to setup a mail server supporting mail list feature, e.g. people may subscribe to a mail list (such as list@example.com), then everybody in the list can receieve the mails sent to that list. Does anybody know how such things can be done? Thanks for your reply. Jingyu Jingyu Liu wrote: > Hi there, > > I wan to setup a mail server supporting mail list feature, e.g. people > may subscribe to a mail list (such as list@example.com), then everybody > in the list can receieve the mails sent to that list. Does anybody know > how such things can be done? Thank...

The non-Linux Linux
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GNU_Hurd http://www.archhurd.org/ The Hurd aims to surpass the Unix kernel in functionality, security, and stability, while remaining largely compatible with it. Can this compete with the now Google-backed Linux kernel? taka0038@gmail.com wrote: > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GNU_Hurd > > http://www.archhurd.org/ > > The Hurd aims to surpass the Unix kernel in functionality, security, and > stability, while remaining largely compatible with it. > > Can this compete with the now Google-backed Linux kernel? Yes. In a...

Linux, linux, you mutter...
Vagrants, scaliwags and bums. That's what you advocates are. Drunk old men, wearing jute pants in the alley. LeeLee Sobiesky looks elegant in this picture: http://www.leeleesobieski.com/pics/lld/lld12.jpg -- Kent East Hill for Bush '04 Death to Kent West Hillians !!! DEATH TO KENT WEST HILL wrote: > > Vagrants, scaliwags and bums. > > That's what you advocates are. > > Drunk old men, wearing jute pants in the alley. > > LeeLee Sobiesky looks elegant in this picture: > > http://www.leeleesobieski.com/pics/lld/lld12.jpg > What is sh...

linux neewbie : Configuring linux client in a windows network
Hi , I have a windows 2000 server running as the domain controller. I want to add a LINUX (RED HAT 9.0) computer as a client in this network. What software do i need to do this ? Thanks in advance. BNS MIke typed: > I have a windows 2000 server running as the domain controller. I want > to add a LINUX (RED HAT 9.0) computer as a client in this network. > What software do i need to do this ? > you'll have everything you need to accomplish this. samba is what will work: http://us1.samba.org/samba/samba.html 'man smbclient' 'man smbmount' or try this HOWTO: http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/SMB-HOWTO.html -- - Linux: the choice of a GNU generation - free; as in free speech and free beer remove '.eh' to email ...

[News] Linux, Linux, Linux at Acer (Phones and Tablets)

[News] [Linux] Company Offers Specialised Linux Networking Stack
Linux networking stack scales to 64 virtual MIPS64 cores ,----[ Quote ] | 6WindGate says its commercial Linux networking stack supports | a Continuous Computing (CCPU) ATCA board powered by 16 | MIPS64-compatible cores. `---- http://www.linuxdevices.com/news/NS2103965321.html Related: Development Kit Simplifies Design of Linux Based Device Networking Products ,----[ Quote ] | Oxford Semiconductor has introduced a software development kit for | its OXETHU954 network connectivity controller chip aiming to | dramatically simplify the design of Linux based device | networking products. `----...

[News] [Linux] More Speculations About a Google OS Based on GNU/Linux
Google admits that it is going after Microsoft Office... Is Windows next? ,----[ Quote ] | So that brings us to the obvious question: What about the operating | system? There have been rumors for years about a Google PC and/or | Google OS that was based on Linux and aimed at providing a simple, | intuitive desktop for the masses. Naturally, that Google PC would | primarily be an Internet terminal that features Google's online | applications. `---- http://blogs.techrepublic.com.com/hiner/?p=465 Still getting slapped for spyware (Dell) and news aggregators... Google stands firm behind N...

[News] [Linux] OSS/Linux Mail Companies Form Partnerships
Novell, Open-Xchange Expand Linux Collaboration Wares ,----[ Quote ] | Novell and former partner Open-Xchange are updating their | collaboration offers in an effort to make their respective | products more feature rich for users. `---- http://www.serverwatch.com/news/article.php/3683546#640297961992009149 Vendors build open source groupware alliance ,----[ Quote ] | Scalix offers Linux-based email, calendaring and messaging which can | reduce cost and complexity with a field-proven collaboration platform | based on Linux and open standards. It is supported by an open source | develo...

Web resources about - Mail setup for Linux - comp.os.linux.networking

The Sweet Setup
A new Web site from Shawn Blanc where he recommends the best app in each category. Seems to be like The Wirecutter , but for Apple. I like the ...

Windows Setup - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The installation of Windows 1.x , Windows 2.0 , Windows 2.1x requires that a compatible version of MS-DOS installed. The user must specify any ...

Rand Fishkin - This page is setup exclusively to test... - Facebook
This page is setup exclusively to test whether Google will index/rank a page based solely on Facebook shares. Please don't tweet, share on LinkedIn, ...

The Sweet Setup (@thesweetsetup) on Twitter

The Setup: John McAfee
I don’t want to spoil anything, so I’ll just say this is one you don’t want to miss.

GOLFER SETUP on the App Store on iTunes
Get GOLFER SETUP on the App Store. See screenshots and ratings, and read customer reviews.

Flickr: SETUP Utrecht's Photostream
SETUP is het Utrechts podium voor iedereen die geinteresseerd is in de fusie van technologie en cultuur. We organiseren allerlei bijeenkomsten ...

Xbox One Console - Josh gives you First look at the new setup! Must See!! - YouTube
Watch as Josh sets up the new Microsoft Xbox One console. There are many new features added to the console. Check out his other videos of the ...

Hydroponic drug setup found during house fire
Police uncovered what they believe is a hydroponic cannabis set up following a house fire in Safety Bay.