NAS device uses linux os

  To: alt.linux,alt.os.linux,al
I've got a couple of these adstech NAS-806-EF and I believe they use a
stripped down linux os for the ARM processor. Anyone familiar with these?
I'm wondering if a more capable version of linux could be installed in
them. It would be nice to be able to SSH  into it, as it is now, the only
interface is a web page for configuration and samba for file transfers. And
the samba implementation in them is a little flaky requiring them to be
power cycled after any kind of lengthy transfer. But, they do the job...
Eric

---
 * Synchronet * The Whitehouse BBS --- whitehouse.hulds.com --- check it out free usenet!
--- Synchronet 3.15a-Win32 NewsLink 1.92
eric8082 (7)

[News] [Linux] IBM Brings Linux to AIX and i5/OS Machines Using New Software
IBM Previews Virtualization Management Tool for Power-Based Boxes ,----[ Quote ] | ...Virtual Availability Manager, within the Systems Director | Virtualization Manager tool will allow customers who deploy a Xen | hypervisor on their Linux-on-X64 servers to create what IBM is | calling a "high availability farm" that can be used to rehost | virtual machine partitions that are taken out by crashes. `---- http://www.itjungle.com/tfh/tfh062507-story07.html On Jun 25, 11:06 am, Roy Schestowitz <newsgro...@schestowitz.com> wrote: > IBM Previews Virtualization Management To...

Unix / Linux Program Port to OS/2 with GCC and LIBC: HowTo Support / Use of Unix Function "Symbolic Link" in OS/2 Environment
Unix / Linux Program Port to OS/2 with GCC and LIBC: HowTo Support / Use of Unix Function "Symbolic Link" in OS/2 Environment Introduction by Example of the MPLAYER port 2007-07-16 22.00 first draft 1. Introduction and Credits The discussion of the MPlayer port comes up with the above subject. Thanks to Dave Yeo for the hint to the subject and the porting of the GNU Core Utils ( http://www.gnu.org/software/coreutils/) OS/2 port on Hobbes: http://hobbes.nmsu.edu/cgi-bin/h-search?key=coreutils_5.93 2.1 The Linux symbolic link function ( extract ) is introduced by the example of the MPlayer OS/2 port installation 2.2 Here are two of the directories / files used by MPlayer ~/.mplayer --> %MPLAYER_HOME% ~/.mplayer/font/ --> %MPLAYER_HOME%\font 2.3 Symbolic Link to a file, a directory In the Linux implementation "Symbolic Link" can be used to define/reference the location / the font to be used for OSD Here is a description of the function symbolic link in Linux (part of it - excerpt ) http://linux.about.com/od/commands/l/blcmdl1_ln.htm ln [OPTION]... TARGET [LINK_NAME] Here with mplayer it is used ln -s TARGET LINK_NAME LINK_NAME used here with the example: for a file "subfont" located at ~/.mplayer/subfont.fft ...

No Problem'o, DooFuS. I can blame it all on the Linux Mint TEXT size being = too small on my 19 inch monitor. As Moi was saying... I tried two more additional downloads of elementary OS Linux. Both of them= likewise failed. While they could have been discriminating against Moi for his ZERO contribu= tion, I will be damned if I am going to PAY GOOD money for something when t= here is no guarantee that the stupid DOWNLOAD wont fail, JUST TO FIND OUT t= hat it WONT work at all on my computer hardware, let alone whether OR NOT i= t will actually do what is being claimed. Moi has NEVER experienced a download problem with Linux Mint. From what I have seen, elementary OS Linux is a scam, much like those Windo= ws come ons that claim that they can fix your computer problems merely by m= ucking with the Windows Registry. The Linux World should disown elementary OS Linux for being the Scam that i= t is. Or, can any phony distro claim to be Linux? Yeah, where are the Linu= x police? On 7/8/2015 8:22 AM, John Gohde wrote: > No Problem'o, DooFuS. I can blame it all on the Linux Mint TEXT size > being too small on my 19 inch monitor. I blame it on your small cerebrum. > The Linux World should disown elementary OS Linux for being the Scam > that it is. Or, can any phony distro claim to be Linux? Yeah, where > are the Linux police? The Linux police are outside your door right now. I'm not kidding. Look out...

Linux..the easy to use OS.
Today children, we'll look at installing a DVD player... > >Thanks for the tip. But I'm getting this problem: > > >$ emerge xine-ui > >Calculating dependencies \ > >emerge: there are no masked or unmasked ebuilds to satisfy > > ">=net-ftp/curl-7.10.2". > > >!!! Error calculating dependencies. Please correct. > > >Turns out I have curl installed, but it is in net-misc, not net-ftp. > Whoa there ... That problem was supposedly fixed sometime back in April. > When did you last 'emerge sync', and from what m...

[News] [Linux] Linux Has Advantage in the Mobile OS World
How Linux morphed from a server to a mobile OS ,----[ Quote ] | When evaluating Linux as a possible OS candidate, it is important to | remember that the Linux "model" for mobile devices is horizontal. That | is, Linux is not presented as a vertically integrated top to bottom | solution for a mobile device supplied by one vendor. | | It's a sharp contrast to the other OS suppliers such as Microsoft | with Windows Mobile, Symbian and PalmSource. These suppliers | support a highly integrated software stack, incorporating not | only an OS but also extensive middleware and application layer | pieces. Arguably the price for such integration is lack of | flexibility and loss of control. `---- http://www.wirelessnetdesignline.com/howto/broadband/199600344;jsessionid=N1IAB5VKZRD0QQSNDLRCKH0CJUNN2JVN http://tinyurl.com/2c3z7z Microsoft taps mobiles for developing world ,----[ Quote ] | Microsoft is facing fierce competition from Linux, however, most | notably the One Laptop per Child project to ship low cost | notebooks to schools in developing nations. | | Linux vendor Red Hat unveiled a Global Desktop last week | targeting computers at small and medium sized businesses as | well as governments in third world nations. `---- http://www.vnunet.com/vnunet/news/2189936/microsoft-taps-mobile-tech Related: 70 percent of smartphones use Symbian ,----[ Quote ] | At 3GSM it became clear that 70 percent of all smartphones use Symbian. | | Linux accounts for 16.9 perc...

I have Linux! I have Linux!

linux os
Hi all, is anyone actually running Radius server? Is it difficult to set it up? T ...

[News] [Linux] School Children in Hawaii Use Linux Devices
Classroom Software Goes Mobile ,----[ Quuote ] | Fourth-graders, in Kailua-Kona, Hawaii, are on a special school | project with the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration; | they are observing and recording the behavior of humpback whales | from shore, explains C/Net. They record the whales behavior on | small, handheld wireless device called an Indigo, made by | LearningSoft. `---- http://www.dailywireless.org/2007/05/10/classroom-software-goes-mobile ...

Why linux is linux

My Linux is not your Linux

linux os
how do i implement device driver in linux????????? On Mar 11, 5:04 pm, pri <velhalpr...@gmail.com> wrote: > how do i implement device driver in linux????????? Linux distributions include all the commonly required drivers. For example a modern distribution will install with complete success on a common garden Dell or HP or Compaq etc P4 desktop without any bother whereas trying to install Windows XP requires a hunt for drivers, even one for the ethernet socket. The main exceptions are where device makers have not provided information to enable Linux drivers to be written. Hardware...

[News] [Linux] More Speculations About a Google OS Based on GNU/Linux
Google admits that it is going after Microsoft Office... Is Windows next? ,----[ Quote ] | So that brings us to the obvious question: What about the operating | system? There have been rumors for years about a Google PC and/or | Google OS that was based on Linux and aimed at providing a simple, | intuitive desktop for the masses. Naturally, that Google PC would | primarily be an Internet terminal that features Google's online | applications. `---- http://blogs.techrepublic.com.com/hiner/?p=465 Still getting slapped for spyware (Dell) and news aggregators... Google stands firm behind N...

Uncovering Linux Android Master Key That Makes 99% of Linux Devices Vulnerable, nearly 900 million Linux devices
The Bluebox Security research team - Bluebox Labs - recently discovered a vulnerability in Linux Android's security model that allows a hacker to modify APK code without breaking an application's cryptographic signature, to turn any legitimate application into a malicious Trojan, completely unnoticed by the app store, the phone, or the end user. The implications are huge! This vulnerability, around at least since the release of Android 1.6 (codename: "Donut" ), could affect any Android phone released in the last 4 years1 - or nearly 900 million Linux devices2- and depending on the type of application, a hacker can exploit the vulnerability for anything from data theft to creation of a mobile botnet." http://bluebox.com/corporate-blog/bluebox-uncovers-android-master-key/ OMG........... "7"? , Grufftard?......... Kohltard?..... please come and tell us this isn't so!!!!!!!! <chuckle> -- Major Linux Problems on the Desktop or Why Linux is not (yet) Ready for the Desktop, 2013 edition http://bit.ly/gBOiz6 Cola Zealot wrote: > The Bluebox Security research team - Bluebox Labs - recently discovered a > vulnerability in Linux Android's security model that allows a hacker to > modify APK code without breaking an application's cryptographic signature, > to turn any legitimate application into a malicious Trojan, completely > unnoticed by the app store, the phone, or the end us...

Choosing the right OS between Mac OS X, Linux dist, Win
Hi Guys, I have a 4 year old Dell Inspiron 5100 P4-2.8 GHz (1.25 GB RAM, 40GB HDD). Its been running fine with some heating problems, and a few fresh installations of win-xp needed. Now, I have a need to buy a second laptop (it has to be a laptop since I am moving place to place every few months). Thats when I hit the question.. What to buy... Well, before anything else, I should mention my intended usage of the system... - Running software like - Oracle 10g Server, - Oracle Warehouse Builder - Some ETL tools... - some shell programming - some perl programming - lots of...

Palm OS (Renamed "Garnet OS") and a Linux Future
IT Sstandrads Hijack Threatens European Economix Competitiveness ,----[ Quote ] | To stop Europe being rail-roaded into an inadequate standard, the | ODF Alliance urges national supporters who have issues to raise | contradictions of ECMA's standard with existing standards to | encourage their national ISO representatives to raise formal | contradictions as quickly as possible, certainly | before 5th February 2007. `---- http://sourcewire.com/releases/rel_dis ...

[News] [Linux] Man Chooses Linux Over Mac OS X, Windows
Which OS for Ruby on Rails development? ,----[ Quote ] | I've had experience using Linux servers (no GUIs), so I figured I | could always drop back to the command line if something broke and | I've had to once or twice during installations. But overall I have | been pleasantly surprised at how civil an experience it has been. `---- http://falkayn.blogspot.com/2007/05/which-os-for-ruby-on-rails-development.html ...

[News] Review of Linux-powered Home Media Network, Other Linux Devices

[q]using matlab in linux OS from home
Hi, I tried to use matlab in my PC using Xmanager 1.3.9 from the linux machine. But I keep getting this messags " X11 channel request arrived. Establishing X11 connection (id=10)...Done. X11 channel (id=10) has been closed. " But I can run matlab from the unix machine in the school. But I can't run from my linux machine in the lab.(using Xmanager in my notebook at home) Can you tell me what can cause this problem? Do I have to change the setup in my linux machine? I can run gimp or some other xwindow programs..But I can't run matl...

How to use clipboard in Linux or Mac Os X
I'd like to create a button "copy to clipboard" in a Matlab application to save the screenshot of the current window. How can i do it? ...

[News] Linux 2.6.32 in Review, "Linux is Not an OS"

Does the NT 4 OS/2 subsystem support OS/2 network devices?
Tim? "Louis Ohland" <ohland@charter.net> wrote in message news:46WUr.25879$Yf7.11775@newsfe16.iad... > Tim? I don't quite understand the question, but the network adapter drivers will be NT4's and MS LAN Manager and IBM LAN Server can be made compatible enough to co-operate in a common Domain, with a few considerations taken into account. Is that what you mean? -- Cheers, Tim Clarke (a.k.a. WBST) Guildford, U.K. Ugh... me hardware guy... no code do I... Stick network card into NT box... Use OS/2 drivers... How's that, Tim? I can drag my knuckles on the ground and do some mouth-breathing if you'd like... On 8/9/2012 17:43, Tim WBST Clarke wrote: > "Louis Ohland" <ohland@charter.net> wrote in message > news:46WUr.25879$Yf7.11775@newsfe16.iad... >> Tim? > > I don't quite understand the question, but the network adapter drivers > will be NT4's and MS LAN Manager and IBM LAN Server can be made > compatible enough to co-operate in a common Domain, with a few > considerations taken into account. Is that what you mean? "Louis Ohland" <ohland@charter.net> wrote in message news:iBXUr.18305$lA2.10252@newsfe07.iad... > Ugh... me hardware guy... no code do I... > > Stick network card into NT box... Use OS/2 drivers... > > How's that, Tim? I can drag my knuckles on the ground and do some > mouth-breathing ...

[News] Cavium Networks Firewall Comes with Linux, Several Other Devices Run Linux
Multi-core firewall boasts multi-gigabit throughput ,----[ Quote ] | Cavium Networks provides a software development kit (SDK) along with the | CN3120 that includes a MontaVista Linux kernel, GNU tool-chain, GDB debugger, | and third-party products aimed at streamlining ports of MIPS32, MIPS64, and | other C/C++ applications to the Octeon architecture. `---- http://www.linuxdevices.com/news/NS3495431878.html More of Linux here (it's everywhere): Linux-compatible PDA shrugs off six-foot drops ,----[ Quote ] | iWave Systems of Bangalore has announced a Linux- and Windows CE | 6.0...

Web resources about - NAS device uses linux os - comp.os.linux.networking

Manual on Uniform Traffic Control Devices - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The Manual on Uniform Traffic Control Devices ( MUTCD ) is a document issued by the Federal Highway Administration (FHWA) of the United States ...

Dartmouth man, woman face prohibited device charge after potential threat near Halifax airport
Derek Russell Strum and Diana Lynn Richard were charged after ammunition, magazines, gun case seized in searches

Nest’s GPS-enabled Home/Away Assist feature makes your smarthome devices much smarter
Google-owned Nest is best known for its smart thermostat, but the company works on a number of devices which, albeit being generally good at ...

Should you install N preview on your main device? Here are some of the known issues with it.
... see it in action. But is it safe to install the Android N factory images on your main phone or tablet?We’re flashing Android N on several devices ...

Fossil’s Q Motion tracks sleep and activity, learns from Misfit devices
... how much sleep you get, so this is a good addition for the Q Motion but also an expected one. The Q Motion is also the first device to come ...

Apple founder: This Amazon device is the 'next big platform'
When Apple co-founder Steve Wozniak asks his virtual assistant to help him with a task, he’s not talking to Siri. He’s talking to Amazon’s Alexa. ...

Apple founder Steve Wozniak thinks Amazon's new device is the next big platform
Apple founder Steve Wozniak loves the Amazon Echo, a smart speaker that users can talk to. He said that he thinks it's "the next big platform ...

Got a new USB-C device? 19 accessories that will help
... to carry up to 100 watts of power (six times the USB 3.0 limit), a USB-C port can deliver up to 10Gbps double that of current USB 3.0 devices. ...

Report: Snapchat Is Working On Some Kind Of Wearable Device
... physical realm, according to a new report that says the software company is looking to expand into hardware with some kind of wearable device. ...

New Pokemon game announced for mobile devices
Pokémon Go isn't the only Pokémon mobile game in the works. In addition to Ingress developer Niantic's upcoming augmented reality game, The ...