Networked two linux computers, can't access files across?

I have two linux computers networked.  I have the Internet
configurations working OK, but I need to share files between two, I
restarted nfs, and mounted on other machine, still can't access. Do I
have to enable anything else?. Appreciated for any info.

Thanks,
GS.

0
globalswamy (188)

GS <globalswamy@hotmail.com> wrote:
> I restarted nfs, and mounted on other machine, still can't access.

I don't think this is a useful sentence.

    *	You've started NFS on one (both?) of the boxes?

    *	Do you have one configured as a server and the other as a client?

    *	Have you put anything in /etc/exports on the server?

    *	Have you successfullly exported a share on one of the boxes and
	successfully mounted it on the other?

    *	What's the real problem that you're having?

Puzzled,
Chris
0
chris-usenet (1132)
10/2/2005 6:23:33 PM
GS wrote:
> I have two linux computers networked.  I have the Internet
> configurations working OK, but I need to share files between two, I
> restarted nfs, and mounted on other machine, still can't access. Do I
> have to enable anything else?. Appreciated for any info.
>
> Thanks,
> GS.

look here:
http://nfs.sourceforge.net/nfs-howto/

0
btgs (20)

Can access network drive but can't open files.
Hi, At work we are running Windows 2000 Server. On this we have a public drive, shared by all users in the company holding information on employees. We have a machine which links directly to the bank to process wages. In order to do this though, our wages clerk needs to update the contents of an employee wages Access 2000 db, residing on the mentioned public drive. When we try to open the said database, and any other applications like Excel, Word, or even Notepad, an error appears telling us that there has either been a Network or Disk Error (Access) or that files are read only, or that files path names are invalid and can't be found. In short, we can see the drive content but can't open any of the files. When we do try to open files, the CPU usage runs at 100% and doesn't come back down unless you use task manager to end tasks. I've tried to do the following things in the hope that they'd help but none have worked: 1) Reinstall network card drivers. 2) Use a new network card. 3) Reinstall TCP/IP. 4) Ran 3 spyware detectors. 5) Remapped the mentioned public drive. Using the full and correct route. 6) Changed the actual network connections and cat5 cabling. 7) Changed the leads into the switch in our server cupboard. It's getting to the stage where it's frustrating. Any help would be appreciated. Tom. Ok...did you actually check the permissions on the files/users? Are they set as read only on the server? Have y...

Why can't the rest of my network see my Linux box's hostname?
Hi all, Apologies in advance if this is a FAQ - I couldn't find an FAQ list. I would appreciate some help/advice about getting my network right. I have a small business network with Macs (running Mac OS X) and a variety of Windows PCs. This network is connected to a Netgear DG834 ADSL router and thence to my ISP. I have added a new Linux box to this network today, running Fedora Core 2. When I look at the list of attached devices in the Netgear console it sees the Linux box as hostname marple and ip address 192.168.0.6. The hostname setting on the box is marple. However when I...

2nd network computer can't see 100% of files in certain folders on 1st computer
I have a 2-station wireless network between my office and my secretary's, next door. I have an XP Pro machine; she has XP Home. Both computers are reasonably up-to-date and otherwise working well. Both have fairly recent D-link hardware. I have had the wireless network for over a year, most of the time working well. Recently, a very odd problem has popped up. My secretary's computer sometimes cannot see all the files in a particular folder. The problem has shown up in several folders during the past few weeks. Since her job is to finalize and prints documents that I draft, this ...

2nd network computer can't see 100% of files in certain folders on 1st computer
I have a 2-station wireless network between my office and my secretary's, next door. I have an XP Pro machine; she has XP Home. Both computers are reasonably up-to-date and otherwise working well. Both have fairly recent D-link hardware. I have had the wireless network for over a year, most of the time working well. Recently, a very odd problem has popped up. My secretary's computer sometimes cannot see all the files in a particular folder. The problem has shown up in several folders during the past few weeks. Since her job is to finalize and prints documents that I draft, this ...

Can't access home network after installing work intranet remote access sw on computer
My laptop's wireless access into my home network was working great until I installed my work's VPN and security code software remote access sw. Since installing my work's remote access, I cannot access my local network via my wireless laptop. I even uninstalled the work remote access software but I still can't access my home network. It appears that my work remote access sw installed something that keeps me from accessing my home network for security purposes. Pinging works fine for all computers on the network but access to the local network is denied. I am running Windows XP. Help! ANy ideas on how I can correct this or either work around it. -thanks What remote control software you are using ? I recommend you sent e-mail to the software vendor. And also I recommend to use other remote control software, which has no such bugs, for example it is "Anyplace Control" (http://www.anyplace-control.com) > My laptop's wireless access into my home network was working great > until I installed my work's VPN and security code software remote > access sw. Since installing my work's remote access, I cannot access > my local network via my wireless laptop. I even uninstalled the work > remote access software but I still can't access my home network. It > appears that my work remote access sw installed something that keeps > me from accessing my home network for security purposes. Pi...

Still can't network Linux and Windows
Still trying crack the Linux-Windows SMB networking nut and it's driving me nuts: So far, I can: - ping both the Windows (XP Pro, Sp2) and Linux (CentOS 4.3, RHEL4 clone) by both hostname and network address, so no issues with basic networking. - access the Windows shares and print to the Windows printer on the Linux box, so SMB (Samba) is working on the Linux side. - view both the Windows and Linux hosts in the "View Network Computers" boxes on the XP box, so the Windows box can "see" the Linux box. However, when I try to access the Linux sh...

Can't alter Zip files across network
Let me try this again; maybe someone can help me. I have a simple network between my desktop and laptop using a wired router. I can pretty much do anything on the shared folders I want to except some actions with some zip files. If I try to add files to the zip file across the network I get this WinZip error: "Could not open \\Dell\etc\etc\..\Position.zip . Probably cause, file sharing or file permissions problem." I also get a similar problem if I try to copy a zip file from one machine overwriting a zip file with that same name on the other. There seems to be a directional issue here. If I try to push or pull a zip file (overwriting one with the same name) from the desktop to the laptop over the network, I get an error. If I'm on the laptop and try to pull a zip file, it works, but I can't push one to the desktop. The problem only occurs with zip files. Any other file I can push, pull and overwrite in either direction. The folder two levels up is the folder that is shared. Using WindowsXP Home, SP2 and WinZip 8.1 SR-1. The rest of the networking seems just fine: file/printer/Internet connection sharing, and all other kinds of file transfer. One other note, the desktop is FAT32 and the laptop is NTFS. Any ideas? -- Gregg C. On Wed, 20 Oct 2004 03:51:08 GMT, "Gregg Cattanach" <gcattanach-SKIP-@prodigy.net> wrote: >Let me try this again; maybe someone can help me. > &g...

Can't access winxp (unicode) files from linux FTP server...
I'm looking to replace a NT4 server box with a gentoo installation - pretty much all services (apache/php/mysql/samba) are working well, with the exception of proftpd. Files placed on the server over smb from windows clients sometimes contain accents and other non-ASCII characters, which I didn't have problems with when using WarFTPD with NT4. ProFTPD, however, isn't liking the unicode filenames. I've read through the gentoo guides without much luck (setting locales to UTF-8, etc). On the user level, I can still only view unicode filenames correctly after logging into the console as root and running unicode_start, despite having a UTF-8 locale. I have a feeling that I need to do this globally for all running processes in order to make proftpd work with unicode, but no idea how. At this point, using a windows ftp client to access proftpd will result in a correct display of filenames - proftpd seems to be sending the client the filename exactly as it is on disc, so the windows client correctly displays the accents, etc. Attempting to access the file is another matter - the windows client sends a request to access the filename and proftpd doesn't recognize it at all. Is there any way for proftpd to work with these files, or any linux FTP daemon? The sad alternative is to upgrade the hardware and use windows 2003 server, but surely this is something that Linux is capable of.... Thanks, Nikhil NikhilC <taligentx@hotmail.com> wrote: > Files plac...

Don't see RISC OS computer in 'My network places'
Hi, I've got an XP Home laptop, Iyonix, router/hub and LanMan98. I can ping both ways. Laptop's 'Workgroup' name = Iyonix's 'Local domain' name. Laptop folders and Iyonix hard-disc are 'shared'. LanMan98 gives me access to the laptop from my Iyonix. But I can't see my Iyonix's shared directories in the laptop's 'My network places' or 'View workgroup computers'. Any clues? (I'll see any replies and will be able to reply on Tuesday.) Chris Bell. In message <5116f14253news@highpath.net> Chris Bell <news@highpath.net> wrote: > Hi, > I've got an XP Home laptop, Iyonix, router/hub and LanMan98. > I can ping both ways. > Laptop's 'Workgroup' name = Iyonix's 'Local domain' name. > Laptop folders and Iyonix hard-disc are 'shared'. > LanMan98 gives me access to the laptop from my Iyonix. > But I can't see my Iyonix's shared directories in the laptop's 'My > network places' or 'View workgroup computers'. Any clues? > (I'll see any replies and will be able to reply on Tuesday.) > Chris Bell. So are you sharing the Iyonix folders via !smbserver , if not then this is the reason they can't be seen. -- Using an IYONIX pc and RISC OS 5.16, the thinking person's alternative operating system to Microsoft Windows. In article <5116f14...

Every time my Linux PC gets new Ip address, I can't access remotely, how can I access?/
Everytime when I boot (sometimes kids reboots) it gets new IP address, I did port mapping in the Router (any ssh requests to this Ip addr), when it changed Ip address, I can't access rempotely, any solution. Also I added its names as "dhcppc3" in /etc/hosts files (ip address machine-name), also when I do "hostname" it shows different name, how can I name this machine as "tiger" so always I want the machine name as tiger (if I do "ping tiger" with LAN shoud work), how can I do that?. Thanks. On 12 Oct 2005 17:08:57 -0700, GS <globalswamy@hotmail.com> wrote: >Everytime when I boot (sometimes kids reboots) it gets new IP address, >I did port mapping in the Router (any ssh requests to this Ip addr), >when it changed Ip address, I can't access rempotely, any solution. >Also I added its names as "dhcppc3" in /etc/hosts files (ip address >machine-name), also when I do "hostname" it shows different name, how >can I name this machine as "tiger" so always I want the machine name as >tiger (if I do "ping tiger" with LAN shoud work), how can I do that?. >Thanks. DDNS GS wrote: > Everytime when I boot (sometimes kids reboots) it gets new IP address, > I did port mapping in the Router (any ssh requests to this Ip addr), > when it changed Ip address, I can't access rempotely, any solution. > > Also I added its names as "dhcppc3" in /et...

Windows can't see Apache on Linux machine when in one location, can in other. Linux PC can see server in both locations.
We have two offices A and B, connected by kilostream. We have a Linux box in location A, running Mandrake 9 and the Apache web server. We have some Linux boxes in location B, and loads of Windows machines. The problem is that whenever a Windows box is in location B, it can't see any pages served up by the Linux based web server in A. It can ping it, but if you telnet to port 80 from the Windows machine you get nothing back. If I pick up the Windows machine, and transport it to location A, plug it into the network, all works OK. At the moment I'm using SQUID on a Linux box in location B as a proxy server for the Windows machines in location A, but this is a bodge really. Any idea why the WIndows machiens in location B can't see pages from the apache server in A, whilst Linux machines in B can see A ? On 8 Jul 2004 11:01:23 -0700, Agent X <pgrebby@hotmail.com> wrote: > We have two offices A and B, connected by kilostream. > > We have a Linux box in location A, running Mandrake 9 and the Apache > web server. > > We have some Linux boxes in location B, and loads of Windows machines. > > The problem is that whenever a Windows box is in location B, it can't > see any pages served up by the Linux based web server in A. It can > ping it, but if you telnet to port 80 from the Windows machine you get > nothing back. > > If I pick up the Windows machine, and transport it to location A, plug > it into the network,...

Windows "routing" server separating two subnets
Gurus, I have a small lab with a bunch of servers setup on two different subnets, 192.168.1.1 is the gateway for one and 172.16.1.1 is the gateway for the other. Installed on my Router (Windows Server with three NICs - I know, please don't comment on this, it's is for learning purposes, not production), the third NIC is the gateway to the Internet. What works: The Router server can reach the Internet as well as the computers in the 192.168.1.0/24 subnet (the first subnet built). What's broken: The computers on the 172.16.1.0/16 subnet cannot get to the Inter...

OT, Linux: bash can't see a file that's there, really!
Sorry for the OT post, but I figure I'll get a quicker, more useful response here. Brand new computer, Xubuntu 14.04 instead of Lubuntu 12.04 I just copied over my Codesourcery directory to /usr/share/arm-none-eabi (where it was on the old machine, and where everything worked fine). Bash insists it's not there, even though I can see it in a directory: Here's ls: $ ls -l /usr/share/arm-none-eabi/bin/*gcc -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 270608 Aug 6 2014 /usr/share/arm-none-eabi/bin/ arm-none-eabi-gcc Here's when I try to run it: $ /usr/share/arm-none-eabi/bin...

Can Linux Survive the Beating it's Getting? The 2.6 Linux kernel doesn't even work!!!
SCO is suing Linus. Microsoft is still number one. Redhat Linux is dumping the small business home user market and giving them unsupported beta Fedora distro that has no backward patches. Novell bought out SuSE, and as we all know many Novell alumni are now at SCO. Novell will take care of SuSE the same way as SCO does with Linux. Contrary to what the advocates say, Linux is hard to use. I am using SuSE 8.2 and my upgrade to the 2.6 test-9 kernel was unsuccessful. I compiled the kernel using the following steps. make xconfig make bzImage make modules make modules_install I moved the r...

[News] Breaking Evil Myths: Linux Users Can't Play; Can't Run Windows Applications
Because penguins need to play too. ,----[ Quote ] | The Windows camp have a lot of great games to play and a popular | misconception is that Linux is lacking in games. That is not true. | There are literally thousands of games for Linux. In fact a lot of | them have been ported to Windows too. | | [...] | | There are both free and commercial games available. Some of the best | ones I really like are America's Army, Tremulous and Enemy Territory. `---- http://blogs.ittoolbox.com/linux/locutus/archives/because-penguins-need-to-play-too-14767 Run Windows Apps on Linux using 2X ApplicationServer ,----[ Quote ] | 2X ApplicationServer is a useful solution for those who still need access | to some Windows only apps, but prefer to work in Linux. `---- http://linuxappfinder.com/blog/run_windows_apps_on_linux_using_2x_applicationserver Related: LinuxGamePublishing announces X3: Reunion ,----[ Quote ] | The announcement was made during LinuxGames.coms' latest(7th) | podcast, and said to be about 80% completed. `---- http://www.linux-gamers.net/modules/news/article.php?storyid=1914 TO: Crossfire 1.5 released ,----[ Quote ] | Inspired by TacticalOps, TO: Crossfire is a game based on Epic's | awardwinning UnrealEngine and throws you into the life-and-death | world of counterterrorism. `---- http://www.linux-gamers.net/modules/news/article.php?storyid=1913 Supergamer LiveDVD - Gaming on Linux hits new levels ,----[ Quote ] | SuperGamer is a modified version...

Proper routes for linux machine with two network ports to same network
Hi, I run a Fedora Core 4 system with two network devices eth0 (assigned 10.10.10.30) and eth1 (assigned 10.10.10.31). The local network is 10.10.10.0, the gateway is 10.10.10.1 # route Kernel IP routing table Destination Gateway Genmask Flags Metric Ref Use Iface 10.10.10.1 * 255.255.255.255 UH 0 0 0 eth1 10.10.10.0 * 255.255.255.0 U 0 0 0 eth0 10.10.10.0 * 255.255.255.0 U 0 0 0 eth1 169.254.0.0 * 255.255.0.0 U 0 0 0 eth1 default 10.10.10.1 0.0.0.0 UG 0 0 0 eth1 default 10.10.10.1 0.0.0.0 UG 0 0 0 eth0 Although rules to 10.10.10.0 exists for both eth interfaces, It seems that traffic going to the local network at 10.10.10.* goes thru eth0 if no interface specified. If I pull out the network cable at eth0, ping 10.10.10.100 -> Destination Host Unreachable ping 10.10.10.100 -I eth0 -> Destination Host Unreachable ping 10.10.10.100 -I eth1 -> Works fine! Similar problems exist for the internet outgoing connections with the default and 10.10.10.1 gateway routes. How do I add the routes properly so that the machine will look at which interface is working or sort of, and choose the correct route? Thanks for any pointers. fuzzybr80@gmail.com wrote: > Hi, > > I run a Fedora Core 4 system with two network devices eth0 (assi...

I don't mind Linux. It's the fan club I can't stand.
Linux: A sheer waste of processing time. On Thu, 09 Feb 2006 23:42:08 -0500, Ana Thema wrote: > Linux: A sheer waste of processing time. Ana Thema ... a witch in search of batteries... -- Rick <http://ricks-place.tripod.com/sound/2cents.wav> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Ana Thema <anathema@gmail.net> wrote on Thu, 09 Feb 2006 23:42:08 -0500 <o96ou15hrlhepdpdr7pkbefq3ep4e31ve1@ax4.com>: > Linux: A sheer waste of processing time. > Well of course it is; everyone should just use Windows instead. The occasional hangs, glitches, and crashes are more than compensa...

New Computer (Vista) on Three Computer Router Won't Join the Other Two XP Machines on Network Workgroup
The other two computers (Win-XP) are connected to the wireless router via Ethernet, and the new Vista machine uses its wireless adapter. After multiple restarts, I finally got all the machines to appear on the "map" or visual representation of the network, but they show up in different workgroups. The original workgroup is called, "Mshome." The new machine's workgroup is called, "Workgroup." How can I get the new machine to join the older workgroup and remove the new workgroup? I would like all the computers to be in the same workgroup. O...

my computers can't see each other on network
Hi- Having a bit of trouble getting my computers to talk. I have one box running 2003 server, other xp pro. I can't get them to see each other-they are showing the same ip(firewall and router), and the nics are functioning. I have tried the methods of adding network places in my 2003 book, but the path name is not found \\computername\share isn't working. Anyone? Thanx Mucho ...

Can't access machine in the network.
Hi, I am using Apache 2.0.40. We are using perl scripts for the cgi programming in the server. >From the web page we are accessing a machine in the local network. But the page goes blank with the error "No such file or directory". The Apache server in running on Windows 2000 server. Earlier the same server was on a NT machine now we have migrated the apache server to Windows 2000 server machine and we are facing this problem. Both the server and the local network are in the domain and both are using the same Login with administrator permissions. The same worked for an NT machi...

Computers can't see each other over the network
I have a Home LAN that is powered by Earthlink Cable through Time Warner and a DLINK DI-604 router. It works fine with Windows XP Home and the PS2, but recently I added a Windows 98 computer to the network. I would like to be able to share printers between the two and also files, but I have a big problem. When I go into Network Neighborhood (or My Network Places in XP), nothing shows up. These computers are set up to be in the same Workgroup, and they both have TCP/IP installed. They can connect to the internet just fine. Why can't they see each other in the network? Is there someth...

[...]

Can't see files on the network
This is driving me nuts. The VERY FIRST thing I did when I got my Mac was to connect to the PC on the network. I moved all my Firefox and Thunderbird files over to the Mac. Then the PC was turned off for 2 years. :D I've turned it back on now and I CANNOT see the files from either side. Both sides show the other machine. When I try to see the files from either side, I'm asked for a password. I haven't set one on either share on the PC side. I don't remember how I made a shared folder on the Mac side.... The PC is part of a workgroup called MalcolmO. It also sees a work...

Web resources about - Networked two linux computers, can't access files across? - comp.os.linux.networking

Consent of the Networked - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The Technical Commons - This section describes the World Wide Web technical standards and organizations and people who have influenced these ...

Networked NGO Pakistan Maps - a set on Flickr

Networked Society, On the Brink - YouTube
In On The Brink we discuss the past, present and future of connectivity with a mix of people including David Rowan, chief editor of Wired UK; ...

Networked devices extend reach toward smarter surveillance
A picture of a person of interest can be gained by linking data from loyalty cards, mobile phones, credit cards, travel cards, social network ...

MIT panel warns of challenges of hyper-networked world - management, Configuration / maintenance, IDC ...
A panel discussion held at MIT this week hailed major advances in networking technology, but warned that the challenges facing the world's information ...

Liverpool Council creates networked city using e-band microwave
Liverpool's microwave network will provide provide free Wi-Fi, CCTV surveillance, voice and data communications between council networks.

Lone madman or a networked holy warrior?
Following the Sydney siege, we must avoid defaulting to the view that any criminal act that includes a garbled interpretation of the Islamic ...

Eight Questions: Rebecca MacKinnon, "Consent of the Networked"
... bring about the end of Communist Party rule. A decade later, as Ms. MacKinnon documents in her recently released book “Consent of the Networked,” ...

How Novelists Networked
Jason Diamond provides background on the literary clubs of Victorian England: The words “Victorian club scene” might lead you to picture the ...

DOD aims to back up underarmed fighters with networked “arsenal planes”
... pad for all sorts of different conventional payloads. In practice, the arsenal plane will function as a very large airborne magazine, networked ...