OSX NFS server, Linux client can't read mount

NFS server running on a Mac Powerbook, Linux client box on the LAN.  I
can mount the share.  fstab has
192.168.1.102:/Volumes/Alien   /mnt/alien   nfs
    user,exec,rw,hard,intr  0 0

cat /proc/mounts
192.168.1.102:/Volumes/Alien /mnt/alien nfs
    rw,nosuid,nodev,v3,rsize=16384,wsize=16384,hard,intr,udp,lock,
    addr=192.168.1.102 0 0

However, when I try to access /mnt/alien, I get

ls: reading directory /mnt/alien: Input/output error

I don't know if the problem's on the Linux side or the OSX, which I
don't know from shinola.  Any advice as to why the mount can't be
accessed greatly appreciated.  Thanks.

Can't NFS mount linux drive on OSX
So, I'm running SuSe 9.0 with a beefy 250G secondary drive. I also have a iMac running OSX 10.3.6. I use the Mac for it's video editing apps (not to mention the fact that it is UNIX .... forget this Microsoft mickey mouse crap). I'm trying to NFS mount the drive from the linux box to the mac, to be able to drag and drop files while working. Right now I have to manually FTP, which isn't the end of the world, but gets to be a pain. So, I launch YAST->Network Services->NFS Server - It asks me if I'd like to "Start NFS Server" to which I say yes. - It then brings up a list of directories to export, to which I add the correct "/share" directory (which is where I have the massive drive mounted via /etc/fstab. - When the "/share/" directory is selected in the top list, the bottom table has two columns: "Hosts wildcard" and "Options". The data for this drive is "*" and "ro, root_squash,sync" respectively. I then go over to the mac and try to mount the drive: mount <hostname>:/share <local directory> and I get this error... mount_nfs: /Users/ryan/linux: Operation not permitted Any thoughts would be appreciated. Ryan rohayre@gmail.com wrote: > - When the "/share/" directory is selected in the top list, the bottom > table has two columns: "Hosts wildcard" and "Options". The data for > this drive is "*" and "ro, root_sq...

Windows can't see Apache on Linux machine when in one location, can in other. Linux PC can see server in both locations.
We have two offices A and B, connected by kilostream. We have a Linux box in location A, running Mandrake 9 and the Apache web server. We have some Linux boxes in location B, and loads of Windows machines. The problem is that whenever a Windows box is in location B, it can't see any pages served up by the Linux based web server in A. It can ping it, but if you telnet to port 80 from the Windows machine you get nothing back. If I pick up the Windows machine, and transport it to location A, plug it into the network, all works OK. At the moment I'm using SQUID on a Linux box in location B as a proxy server for the Windows machines in location A, but this is a bodge really. Any idea why the WIndows machiens in location B can't see pages from the apache server in A, whilst Linux machines in B can see A ? On 8 Jul 2004 11:01:23 -0700, Agent X <pgrebby@hotmail.com> wrote: > We have two offices A and B, connected by kilostream. > > We have a Linux box in location A, running Mandrake 9 and the Apache > web server. > > We have some Linux boxes in location B, and loads of Windows machines. > > The problem is that whenever a Windows box is in location B, it can't > see any pages served up by the Linux based web server in A. It can > ping it, but if you telnet to port 80 from the Windows machine you get > nothing back. > > If I pick up the Windows machine, and transport it to location A, plug > it into the network,...

Can't talk between VPN'd client and Linux server.
Hello, I have two Linux servers running the latest AS Redhat. My VPN server is a basic Windows 2003 machine, supporting pptp, (I don't have certificate installed yet for l2tp) Client machine is Windows XP. All patches/updates have been applied to all machines. These machines are all running on the same departmental level subnet. Client attaches to VPN without issue, makes pptp connection, and I can see all windows based resources on the local network. I can ping other windows machines, I can connect to shares, I can access web pages which are ordinarily blocked by the firewall... With the exception of my two Linux machines. >From my VPN machine, I can ping/connect to the web services/ssh to the two linux machines, I can do the same from any local windows client. >From the linux machine, I can ping all the local windows servers/clients. However, I cannot ping the VPN client from the linux machines (I can ping, and as I write this, I am connected to the VPN client via remote desktop, from this local machine), nor can I pull up the web page hosted on the linux machine. Now here it gets even worse. If I connect to the main campus VPN connection, then I CAN see the web page hosted on the linux machines (I cannot ping though, as ICMP is blocked at our department firewall...) Any help would be greatly appreciated!! This forum is for Windows Firewall Discussion. You may wish to post this to microsoft.public.win2000.networking. And to try to be of help, you ...

NFS can't read directory on OS X mount
We are starting to migrate some users to an Xserve running OS X 10.4.10, and we mount it with NFS from our Solaris servers (so Solaris is the NFS client), running Solaris 8, patched with the Recommended set as of March of this year. The problem is that several applications, when asked to present the files in a directory, show nothing. This is manifesting itself especially in Mail programs and IMAP/POP servers that are not showing any of the users' mail "folders" (really mbox files). Using these same programs under Linux (FC6) works fine. Not all directory reads fail, of cours...

Why can't the rest of my network see my Linux box's hostname?
Hi all, Apologies in advance if this is a FAQ - I couldn't find an FAQ list. I would appreciate some help/advice about getting my network right. I have a small business network with Macs (running Mac OS X) and a variety of Windows PCs. This network is connected to a Netgear DG834 ADSL router and thence to my ISP. I have added a new Linux box to this network today, running Fedora Core 2. When I look at the list of attached devices in the Netgear console it sees the Linux box as hostname marple and ip address 192.168.0.6. The hostname setting on the box is marple. However when I...

OSX NFS server, Linux client.
Using "How to Export a Directory to a Subnet" from docs.info.apple.com, I set up an export for /Volumes/Alien. It looks OK as far as I can tell. At the Linux box, I run -- mount 192.168.1.102:/Volumes/Alien /mnt/alien It does mount without error. However, when I try to read /mnt/alien, I get -- ls: reading directory .: Input/output error I'm fairly sure the problem's at the OSX server side. Also, system.log on the OSX box has: mountd[307]: bad export list line /Volumes/Alien Any advice greatly appreciated. Thanks. -- edjlb@yahoo.com wrote: > Using "H...

[News] Breaking Evil Myths: Linux Users Can't Play; Can't Run Windows Applications
Because penguins need to play too. ,----[ Quote ] | The Windows camp have a lot of great games to play and a popular | misconception is that Linux is lacking in games. That is not true. | There are literally thousands of games for Linux. In fact a lot of | them have been ported to Windows too. | | [...] | | There are both free and commercial games available. Some of the best | ones I really like are America's Army, Tremulous and Enemy Territory. `---- http://blogs.ittoolbox.com/linux/locutus/archives/because-penguins-need-to-play-too-14767 Run Windows Apps on Linux using 2X ApplicationServer ,----[ Quote ] | 2X ApplicationServer is a useful solution for those who still need access | to some Windows only apps, but prefer to work in Linux. `---- http://linuxappfinder.com/blog/run_windows_apps_on_linux_using_2x_applicationserver Related: LinuxGamePublishing announces X3: Reunion ,----[ Quote ] | The announcement was made during LinuxGames.coms' latest(7th) | podcast, and said to be about 80% completed. `---- http://www.linux-gamers.net/modules/news/article.php?storyid=1914 TO: Crossfire 1.5 released ,----[ Quote ] | Inspired by TacticalOps, TO: Crossfire is a game based on Epic's | awardwinning UnrealEngine and throws you into the life-and-death | world of counterterrorism. `---- http://www.linux-gamers.net/modules/news/article.php?storyid=1913 Supergamer LiveDVD - Gaming on Linux hits new levels ,----[ Quote ] | SuperGamer is a modified version...

Can Linux Survive the Beating it's Getting? The 2.6 Linux kernel doesn't even work!!!
SCO is suing Linus. Microsoft is still number one. Redhat Linux is dumping the small business home user market and giving them unsupported beta Fedora distro that has no backward patches. Novell bought out SuSE, and as we all know many Novell alumni are now at SCO. Novell will take care of SuSE the same way as SCO does with Linux. Contrary to what the advocates say, Linux is hard to use. I am using SuSE 8.2 and my upgrade to the 2.6 test-9 kernel was unsuccessful. I compiled the kernel using the following steps. make xconfig make bzImage make modules make modules_install I moved the r...

I don't mind Linux. It's the fan club I can't stand.
Linux: A sheer waste of processing time. On Thu, 09 Feb 2006 23:42:08 -0500, Ana Thema wrote: > Linux: A sheer waste of processing time. Ana Thema ... a witch in search of batteries... -- Rick <http://ricks-place.tripod.com/sound/2cents.wav> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Ana Thema <anathema@gmail.net> wrote on Thu, 09 Feb 2006 23:42:08 -0500 <o96ou15hrlhepdpdr7pkbefq3ep4e31ve1@ax4.com>: > Linux: A sheer waste of processing time. > Well of course it is; everyone should just use Windows instead. The occasional hangs, glitches, and crashes are more than compensa...

why can't a web browser mount a server nfs style and then web interactions can be scripted from there as files?
?? On Jul 8, 5:24=A0am, gavino <gavcom...@gmail.com> wrote: > ?? In order to do so, you probably must start by transforming Farenheit degrees into radian. On Jul 7, 11:24=A0pm, gavino <gavcom...@gmail.com> wrote: > ?? Syntax error. On Jul 8, 4:24=A0am, gavino <gavcom...@gmail.com> wrote (in the title): > why can't a web browser mount a server nfs style and then web > interactions can be scripted from there as files? Because there are a number of file operations that don't map to basic HTTP operations. The WebDAV extension to HTTP _is_ mountable; your...

[News] Google's OEM Success with Linux Shows Why Microsoft+Their Analysts Can't Help FUDing Chrome OS

PS3: doesn't come with Linux, doesn't even run Linux by default
What other cola claims have been dashed by reality? In fact, you can install on the PS3 any OS that's been designed for it. I don't expect MS to port Vista, but you never know... http://www.playstation.com/ps3-openplatform/faq.html Q. What types of "Other OSs" can be installed? A. You can install any system software that is designed to run on PLAYSTATION´┐Ż3. Unfortunately we cannot provide you with specific information about what types of "Other OSs" are available because "Other OS" and the boot loader programs are produced and distributed by third-par...

Forget "Why Can't Johnny Read?" ... Why Can't Eudora Read?
I have a script which writes a MIME-formatted email containing both text and HTML. It works perfectly with all email clients with the exception of the free version of Eudora. As many of you no doubt are aware, a multipart/alternative email is constructed with two or more parts: (1) text for mail clients unable to read HTML and (2) HTML. Eudora is one of the clients which cannot read HTML. So does it read the text version of the multipart/alternative email? Of course not. It tries to read the 2nd part which is the HTML and fails ... thus displaying a table as if it were text. Eudora liter...

Can't get sound from linux-mozilla + linux-realplayer 10
Hello all, I just installed the linux-mozilla and linux-realpayer 10 ports. Everything works but the sound. I can see the video but, I can not hear anything. I use KDE so I tried using the artsdsp (thinking that maybe arts had something to do with it) but, that did not work. It gave me an ELF error about the OS. So, any idea on what I should try next? Please help! Michael Michael J. Pelletier wrote: > Hello all, > > I just installed the linux-mozilla and linux-realpayer 10 ports. > Everything works but the sound. I can see the video but, I can not hear > anything. I use KDE so I tried using the artsdsp (thinking that maybe arts > had something to do with it) but, that did not work. It gave me an ELF > error about the OS. > > So, any idea on what I should try next? Please help! > > Michael OK, I found that it was artsd. When I killed, quite violently, artsd I got the sound. Does anyone know of a way I can use a wrapper or something so I do not have to kill the daemon every time. Michael "Michael J. Pelletier" <mjpelletier@mjpelletier.com> writes: > Michael J. Pelletier wrote: > > > Hello all, > > > > I just installed the linux-mozilla and linux-realpayer 10 ports. > > Everything works but the sound. I can see the video but, I can not hear > > anything. I use KDE so I tried using the artsdsp (thinking that maybe arts > > had something t...

Does IRS hate Linux? (Can't use forms in acroread in Linux)
(Note running Mepis 3.3, Firefox 1.0.1, Acroread 5.0.10 http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f1120a.pdf Maybe its just my system, but when I go to the above official IRS PDF form for corporate taxes (1120), the form opens but I get errors saying it requires 5.1 or later than 5.0.5 of Acrobat. There is no 5.1 version for Linux but there is 5.0.10. I can fill it in but can ONLY print it a page at a time (fortunately its only 2 pages!). What's up with that? (But at least it prints!) I cannot save it with changes, because the IRS says... For users of Adobe Reader: beginning October 25, 2004 ...

Still can't network Linux and Windows
Still trying crack the Linux-Windows SMB networking nut and it's driving me nuts: So far, I can: - ping both the Windows (XP Pro, Sp2) and Linux (CentOS 4.3, RHEL4 clone) by both hostname and network address, so no issues with basic networking. - access the Windows shares and print to the Windows printer on the Linux box, so SMB (Samba) is working on the Linux side. - view both the Windows and Linux hosts in the "View Network Computers" boxes on the XP box, so the Windows box can "see" the Linux box. However, when I try to access the Linux sh...

file on nfs-server can't be read
Hi, I have a bunch of processes that are periodically generating a text file stored on and NFS File server (5 lines long). A different process is running in an infinite loop to look for these files, open, read and delete them afterward. That works nearly fine however sometimes one or two of these files can't be read (fopen==null) even though the file exists, the permissions are right and I can even open it with an editor. When I open it and save it (vi for example) the file suddenly becomes accessible. I've tried various things: Slowing down the infinite loop (tries to a...

Can't input square bracket ']' on linux
Hi It seems that I'm unable to input the closing square bracket symbol (]), neither on the matlab command line nor in the m-file editor. I had a similar problem on Win2K with the closing curly bracket (}), which was solved by a fix published on mathworks.com: http://www.mathworks.com/support/solutions/data/32432.shtml Apparently, it was a bug concerning only users with international (i.e. non-US) keyboards. I tried to apply the same fix, but it didn't work. Any ideas? My config: Matlab 6.5.1.199709 R13 (Service Pack 1) Linux: RedHat 9, kernel 2.4.20-28.9.1 Than...

WinXP client can't connect to Linux shares
When I try to connect to my Linux shares from my WinXP client, I get the message "Network path not found", however when I'm at the linuxbox I can see and access the files shared on the WinXP machine without even having to authenticate via username/password (which I don't like by the way- very big security problem)..... When I'm at the Linuxbox and use the following command: smbclient //Rennyslaptop/SharedDocs/My Pictures/ -U Renny -W collarland I get the following output: added interface ip=192.168.1.2 bcast=192.168.1.255 nmask=255.255.255.0 added interface ...

Can't ftp from Linux to windows-server
Trying to do ftp from a Linux pc-box (Red Hat - Fedora installation - FC1(?)). However, I get some problems with this and wonder if someone can help me. I have turned on debugging and see that I get: ftp: setsockopt (ignored): Permission denied I have tried ftp-command on to different servers and it works on one of the and not on the other. === 1) THE ONE WHICH DOES NOT WORK Server-platform: Windows Demands active ftp and do not accept passive ftp. ERROR: Some error messages and it hangs after some time. I have turned on debugging and see that I get: ftp: setsockopt (ignored): Permission denied === 2) THE ONE WHICH DOES WORK Server-platform: Unix Demands passive ftp and do NOT accept active ftp. This server demands that the ip-adress I present is available with forward and revers lookup which seems to work well in my case. === Unfortunately I need to do ftp to the windows server in 1). Does anyone have any clue as to what I can do to make this work? Any other app I can install and use? Any settings I can do on my machine to make it work? Other hints? Borge ...

[News] Op/Ed: Microsoft Won't/Can't Assault Linux
The fair-weather "friends of Linux" ,----[ Quote ] | I just finished reading John Carroll's article Why Microsoft won't | assault Linux and while I agree with his conclusion, I don't agree | with his reasoning. John opens up suggesting that a "full legal | assault" on Linux would be self-defeating. I don't think so | but I do think that filing suit against RedHat would be an | unnecessary waste of Microsoft's time and money. | | I would like to dispense with his first point: Patents cut both | ways. While this is certainly true, John assumes that there are | powerful "friends of Linux" who would counter-sue Microsoft in a | heartbeat if Microsoft were to use it's patents against RedHat and | he reminds us that: Nobody has more patents than IBM. `---- http://blogs.zdnet.com/BTL/?p=3924 ...

Help! Can't ping Linux server across VPN
I've set up a VPN and can access shared files on windoze machines across the VPN. I can NOT access shares on a Linux box. I can't even ping the linux box across the VPN. Iptables is turned off. I think I must be overlooking something obvious. Any help would be appreciated. My network configuration is as follows: Qwest DSL comes into an Actiontec GT701-WG DSL modem. The DSL account is set up with a block of 8 IP addresses (6x.3x.4x.224 through 6x.3x.4x.231 - 5 are user assignable). The modem is assiged the "Reserved Gateway" WAN IP address of 6x.3x.4x.230, with a LAN IP of 192.168.0.1. From the DSL modem I go into a Linksys BEFVP41 VPN router (WAN IP = 6x.3x.4x.229, LAN IP=192.168.0.66). I go from the router to a hub. The Windoze machines (Dell Dimensions with XP Pro, IPs = 192.168.0.2xx) and the linux box (Tyan 2460 mobo, SMC1211TX LAN card, Fedora core 4, running samba, IP = 192.168.0.11) are all plugged into this same hub. The other end of the VPN tunnel is a laptop across the street running TheGreenBow VPN client. With everything up and running, the laptop can connect to shared folders on the Windoze machines. The laptop (IP = 192.168.99.111) can ping the windoze machines (IP = 192.168.0.2xx) across the VPN and the windoze machines can ping the laptop. The laptop can not ping the linux box (IP = 192.168.0.11) and the linux box can not ping the laptop. The windoze machines and the linux box can all ping each other. The linux box can ping the BEFVP41 VPN...

Linux can't mount DVD-R burned by XP
I put a DVD-R in a DVD-Multi burner (Samsung SH-S203B) under XP Pro. I format it using DLA, then cut some directories from drive C: and paste into drive F: (the DVD burner in question). When that is done, I right-click and choose "Make Compatible". I shut down XP and boot Ubuntu 8.04 so as to read the disc under Linux---from the same drive, and I get a message like "Cannot mount volume. Unable to mount the volume 'testForLinux'". `dmesg|tail` includes lines like: [ 653.889007] cdrom: sr1: mrw address space DMA selected [ 661.165032] udf: udf_read_inode...

Web resources about - OSX NFS server, Linux client can't read mount - comp.os.linux.networking